Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue and sider Dick Abriel with you on a Thursday edition of our program. Coming up tonight. We'll talk a lot of football, and we'll listen a lot to Jeremy Jarman of the UK Sports Network. He will join us at the bottom of our number one here and looking forward to hearing what Jeremy has to say, of course about the Georgia game and about the upcoming Ohio You game, which you will hear right here on six point thirty wlap Jeremy and Christy and Logan Stenberg, like the rest of us up early, they may have to get up a little earlier, although no one's going to get up earlier than the tailgaters because a lot of folks like the tailgate in the morning, and they will be doing just that at Kroger Field ten thirty Pregame Show twelve forty five kickoff for the Wildcats and the Bobcats, who will be playing Believe it or Not for only the seventh time, and believe it or not, the first time they played, Ohio You came down here and won. That's right back in nineteen seventy one. They came down and I guess it was an upset beat John Ray's Wildcats and then didn't come back for another sixteen years when Jerry Clayburn's team led by Dermani, Dawson and a lot of talented guys who ended up in the NFL. Of course, Dermani ended up in the Football Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame. They avenged that loss with a first victory in that series. But you recall in the Rich Brooks are Ohio you came up and spoiled homecoming back in twenty oh four. Dermani remembers that game for us. We'll hear from him on the show tomorrow and he will actually open our broadcast with another one of our celebrity monologues that we have used this year to open the broadcasts. We of course did Rich Brooks last week, Jojo Kemp for the South Carolina game, Bill Ransdell for the open season opener with Southern Miss and by the way, congratulations to Bill and his lovely wife Deidre for a successful opening. Here is an unsolicited plug for two fisted Willies over on Woodland Avenue. It's where the Library Lounge used to be. Bill and Dedre getting back into the pub business is not really a pub, it's a bar. There's not food available, but it's a great spot. It's got a rooftop availability and it's a lot of fun and they did a great job of it. So go check it out. And again unsolicited, but went to their opening last night. We appreciate Cindy and I being invited. So anyhow, DERMANI Dawson will open up this broadcast and we'll hear his thoughts tomorrow on the Football wildcast, So you need to be there. Of course, it'll be on the SEC network, but have your radio handy for Tom Leech, Jeff Pecorrel and yours truly coming up. Also tonight, we're going to hear from dan Orlovski of the NFL Network talking hot dogs. That's all I'm gonna tell you. He has just really interesting takes and he has also been quoted as saying he likes how people lose their mind over the weird things he says, and he says a lot of weird stuff. But you may have seen him or heard him on the air. I think he's very good on the air and has had a longer NFL career than I thought he had. Most of you know him as the quarterback when he was with the Lions. Lost track of where he was, stepped out of bounds in the back of the end zone and cost his team a safety. But he's quite knowledgeable, opinionated, well spoken, which is why he's got a good TV career going. But he got into a discussion about hot dogs that I couldn't resist. So you hear that coming up in nour number two as well as West End Bureau chief Gary Moore. He will join us. He was not with us last night because of the UK volleyball broadcast, so we slide him over to Thursday. Volleyball didn't go as planned for the Wildcats. They lost to Louisville in Memorial Coliseum three to one. The final dropped the first two sets, then took the next one, and then dropped the third. Really, they weren't even in the third one after the early stages, so Ubill put to Kentucky on its own floor. So the Wildcats still learning lessons and they will learn another one good or bad. Well, they're all good if you take something away from them. But it's gonna be tough because Saturday, Man, what a schedule. The Wildcats play at Stanford, which is second ranked in the country right now, but is gonna be really steamed because last night lost at Nebraska three zip. So Stanford is gonna be ready. The Cardinal will have the coaches will have the complete attention of their players in practice for the rest of the week. So it's Kentucky and Stanford. I believe they'll be on the ACC network on Saturday night. It's a ten thirty start. She'll be well rested. After that Kentucky football game. The Wildcats will try to match what they did, of course against Georgia. What a great defensive effort for Kentucky starting up front. Somebody asks Brad Whiteley last night about the fact that even though Dion Walker is getting double and triple teamed, he seems to be producing well for the Cats because it frees up as we've said all year everybody else. And Brad white said, yeah, he's pleased with what Dion is doing and what the guys up front have been doing.
Speaker 2: You know, his versatility, you know his ability to play on third down and nickel and you know he makes two you know, knocks down the first third down, you know, tips the ball and then he was coming around that forced a bad ball in the third down in the red zone. You know that they weren't able to hit the check down, you know, so no, I think are all the defensive front right now they're playing good. They're playing good football. I think we're affecting the QB. You know, when it's time to get after the quarterback, and so we need to continue to keep that up.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great that Brad talked about his versatility and leaving him in on passing downs what doesn't necessarily and he's going to drop back in coverage as he did last year when he begged to drop back in coverage and help force that crucial interception against the Florida Gators. But the fact that he is such a great athlete, is so quick and nimble that they can leave him in. They don't have to sub him out on passing downs. That, of course, is one of the reasons why the other teams have to account for him every time. So you gotta hope he can be as disruptive on Saturday against Ohio. You coming up will take a look at a milestone in TV history. The show didn't start out that way, but it turned out to be one of the all time greats in my opinion, and at the bottom of the hour, of course, Jeremy Jarman of the UK Radio Network. I re number two West End Bureau Chief Gary Moore here on the Big Bloom Sider six point thirty WLAP. Welcome back to Gabriel with you on a Thursday. Coming up in just a few minutes Jeremy Jarman or the UK Sports Network, we'll look back at the Georgia game and of course preview the upcoming contest with those Ohio Bobcats. A couple of notes off the interweb. John Gruden once back in. That's right, once back into football, which is not a surprise, but you might be surprised at how active he has been. And I don't just mean his YouTube channel. He does interviews there, breaks down video. But he talked to cbssports dot com the other day. Evidently he's been an advisor for the New Orleans Saints or are doing pretty well and apparently was a candidate for their offensive coordinator job that went to Clint Kubiak. Didn't get that job, so became an advisor to the Milano Semen of the European League of Football. I knew they played American style of football in Italy, but I did not know that there was a European League of football anyhow. He also worked with the Kansas City Chiefs coaching staff in training camp and says he would like to come back to college football. He has an ongoing legal battle with the NFL. He accused the Commissioner, Roger Goodell, of orchestrating the leak that tarnished his reputation. Of course, this was the deal where they during the investigation into the Washington Commander's workplace misconduct, it came to light his offensive emails, some racist things that he said, and he claims that the NFL leaked them in order to damage his reputation. NFL of course has denied it, but it's still tied up in legal machinations. But he said I am interested in coaching. He told that the cbssports dot Com reminded them that his dad was a college coach. He coached, of course at Pitts. And my wife was a cheerleader at Tennessee when I met her. That's why when Tennessee had some openings a few years ago, everybody kept saying, Oh, it's going to be Gruden, hands down done. Deal, done deal, It's going to be John Gruden. But a group of five athletic director told CBS Sports that in the current climate, this person said they would interview Gruden, but one SEC football administrator called him untouchable. But remember, now, Hugh Freeze made it come back. Bobby Petrino made it come back in the SEC. So we may yet see Gruden at some point. But I've not heard anything publicly about him, and I've not heard him say much about what took him out of football, except that the NFL is guilty of leaking it. Don't know that at all, one way or the other. But keep an eye on that. One. Also keep an eye on urban Meyer, but he said that's a waste of time. People are trying to link him, of course, to what may soon be an opening at Florida. Would they rehire urban Meyer? Would he be interested in coming back to college football? An absolute disaster with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but after a lot of success in Gainsville and in Columbus, Ohio, he is now on television making a lot of money, and he has said no. He has said in terms of him in college football, he said that ship has sailed. He said, I want that program, meaning Florida to do well so badly said, I know so many people there gave a big part of our life to that program, he said. But that ship has sailed. But that won't stop people from floading rumors now, will it. Interesting reaction to Adrian or Janowski's announcement that he is retiring from ESPN and the news industry. He is so well respected and this was a huge shock to the sports world, to ESPN, to sports journalists in general. He has been at it for nearly four decades and he's the man. But he has left. And to me, what's fascinating as well is where he's going. He's going back to his alma mater, St. Bonav Venture, which is in a tiny town in upstate New York, Olean, New York. I have never been there. Jeff Picorol has been there. He did a ballgame up there, a basketball game on television, and evidently and the woman who is in charge of sports information for UK basketball, Deb Moore, is in a lum of Saint Bonnie's, and people who have been there say it's just tremendous and apparently Woje as they call him, is really, really devoted to his alma mater so much though that he's leaving. Here's what he makes at ESPN, about twenty million a year walking away from that job covering the NBA. He is the top NBA insider, only fifty five years old, a lot of time left to make money. But he's leaving for a huge pay cut, and he's going to basically be the general manager for the athletic department at Saint Bonavit Sure, which of course does not play football, but he would be in charge of raising nil money at his alma mater. Now, if this guy's as smart as I think he is, he's got a lot of money socked away, so he'll be fine. And he's not going for cheap to Saint Bonnie's. But he ain't making no twenty million dollars. We know this, but boy, it is really kind of touching. I don't know the guy at all to see the reaction that people have had as he steps away from ESPN, and again, a reputation that is unmatched when it comes to covering the NBA. Quick note about an anniversary. First of all, belieated Happy birthday, Rick Patino. His birthday was yesterday, and also I think it was either yesterday or today, forty six years ago that a TV show that became more popular in reruns than it was when it was on the air first hit the airwaves. And it's something near and dear to the hearts of all of us who have made a living in and around commercial radio. If you have one Dude, one Dude game the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati, WKR, yeah, those of us who have worked in the business. I found it and reruns like a lot of people when I was in radio. I don't think I watched it when it was first on, but yeah, anybody who's been in the business will tell you, sir, it's not entirely accurate. They don't wear headphones and all that. But the characters are basically representative of every kind of person, it seems who worked in AM radio. We all know somebody who was like at least one or more of those people who worked at the station at WKRP. And what's interesting is the opening credits of the first episode highlighted only Gary Sandy, who played the program director, and he was kind of the straight man in that show, and he had come from a soap opera that's where he was best known, and Gordon jumped the station manager, mister Carlson, who was in a lot of different things. He was always a supporting player, but he played his role in this show just wonderfully. But Herb Tarlk the sales guy. Everybody knew a salesperson who kind of came on like that, and he wore those horrible, horrible plaid jackets. And somebody once said to him, Herb, I didn't think they made jackets like that anymore, and he said, yeah, you can get him across the river on a pro shop in Kentucky, which I never forgot. Lonnie Anderson, the bombshell Blonde became a poster icon. It's just amazing how things took off. But doctor Johnny Fever, Howard Hessman, he had been in a lot of different things. He'd been a good guy, a bad guy, but whoever cast him got it right. And the backstory there was he was working at this small station in Cincinnati that was playing it was officially called beautiful music. We all knew it a was elevator music. And my experience with that was when I went to work at WVLK. Our competition now for the longest time, the FM station played beautiful music, elevator music, if you will, but it was extremely popular. They made lots of money advertising, but eventually the audience for that kind of music died out, literally and figuratively aged out. Basically people got older and older who liked that music, and the ratings showed that no new listeners were coming around. And that, my friends, is why they changed formats and went to country, and it became and again a competitor K ninety three, which gave rise to different country formats in this market. There was very little country music making an impact in this market until that happened. And now of course with our country station here ninety eight point one doing so well. But it goes back to that. But I remembered that because the very opening show, with the scene where they changed formats, they bring in Gary Sandy's character. He has brought into program Rock and Rolls. This is back, of course in the seventies on an AM station and Howard Hesman's character who was asleep literally at the switch, leaning on his arm, going by Johnny Caravello. And remember he had a coffee mug with all these different names he had used on the air throughout his career, and he wanted Gary Sandy's character wanted Johnny to be the rock and roll DJ, and they showed doctor Johnny Fever giving rise the scene where he switches from beautiful music to rock and roll, smashes one record, puts on another one, and at the last second comes up with the name doctor Johnny Fever. Is TV history, all right, Cincinnati, It is time for this time to get down.
Speaker 3: You Johnny, doctor john f Fever, and I am burning.
Speaker 1: Up in here.
Speaker 4: Look we all in critical condition, baby is.
Speaker 1: But you can tell me where it hurts because I got the healing prescription here from the.
Speaker 3: Big Karp Musical Medicine Cabinet.
Speaker 5: Now I am talking about your fifty thousand what intensive.
Speaker 1: Carry unit, babies, So just sit right.
Speaker 5: Down, relax, open your ears real wide, and say give it to me straight doctor.
Speaker 4: I can take it almost god though, babies.
Speaker 1: By the way, I left that part out. Johnny Fever had been relegated to the station in Cincinnati because he had accidentally said booger on the air at another station. So the next thing you know, he's doing overnights in Cincinnati, and the program director gave him permission to say booger. Which is why he said it when he played that first album, that first rock and roll album, and he was dancing around the news room having a big time. And of course the probably the most famous episode was the Thanksgiving episode that gave rise to as God Is My Witness. We thought turkeys could fly. That's the one everybody remembers. There are t shirts and you know Les Nessman describing how the turkeys were hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement. That was just brilliant, brilliant television. Hard to believe it was forty six years ago for WKRP in Cincinnati, but those of us in radio, Hugh Wilson, who created the show, we salute you, including the opening credits with all the scenes in and around downtown Cincinnati, was just tremendous and I do appreciate it all right. When we come back. Jeremy Jarman now a radio star, talking about the football Cats here on six thirty WLAP is double JS and three two one joining us on our Celebrity Hotline. One of our favorite guests, one of our favorite people, my pal, Jeremy Jarmon. You hear him on our pregame coverage with Christy Thomas and Logan Stenberg. How's that Stenberg guy working out? He's an old lineman, Jeremy. But you're you're carrying him along, aren't you.
Speaker 3: No, Stenny's holding his own, no pun intended their game. He's He's been so.
Speaker 4: Fun to work with and getting to meet him him and getting to know him a little bit. And he and I we have conversations throughout the week, a lot of text message extames between he, Christy and I just about what we're seeing, you know, film study and sharing clips and you know, exits and those stuff.
Speaker 3: So it's been fun. Man.
Speaker 1: Now he's doing a great job. He really is. Well, let us start with his position. That is old line. I thought, clearly against a team like Georgia, you run the ball the way Kentucky did that, that's a major jolt of confidence of nothing else right it.
Speaker 4: Is, and it just lets me know that those guys, in my opinion, gave They got back in the film room, and they got back in the playbook, and they got with Woolford, they got with Humden and they just played. In my opinion, they played a little faster, a little less thinking. And that was one of the things that Logan and I talked about on the pregame show, is that it just seemed like there was some play in the South Carolina game where the guys weren't as they they weren't moving as fast, not as efficient as as they were on some other plays. And as a former player, sometimes I feel like you can sense these things when the guys will be playing half a step too slow, and that's when you're doing a lot of thinking and uh and and and a little less reacting.
Speaker 1: You got to feel it, don't you. I don't care what sport you're playing, but if you have to think about putting one foot in front of the other, you're you're a step or two behind your opponent.
Speaker 4: Correct And football is a physical sport, but there's that mental piece, And the mental piece is is just understanding your scheme inside and out and being unfazed by any kind of stunts up front, by defensive lignment, any late shifts, and understanding what the core competency of this blocking scheme is. Because you know, that's the thing about offense is that every single play game, if blocked correctly, should be a touchdown.
Speaker 3: In the run game. You know people fail.
Speaker 4: To remember that, but yeah, if you block every person satisfactory. It's an explosive play at a minimum. And this offense is shown throughout the first three weeks that they're capable of being able to generate explosives in the run game. And it's not surprising to me because you have a veteran group of offensive linemen. You got some fifty year guys, six year guy you know at your left tackle position and cocks. We know that these guys are strong, we know that they're capable. So you know, where's the disconnect. Where the disconnect It has to be film room, It has to be understanding kind of that some of the blocking concepts, and that's to be expected when you have when you have your third offensive coordinator in the last three years, you got a new offensive line coach. It can't overcome all of these things in fall camp. You know, like camp creates that that element of adversity, It creates that simulation that's needed. But on game days, that's when offensive court or defensive coordinators are going to give our offensive line. They're going to give them new looks. They're going to give them stunts, they're going to give them shifts, they're going to give them different alignments. And man, it's you can't replicate, you can't simulate it all over the course.
Speaker 3: Of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can't really get to know the guy next day or the guy on either side, can.
Speaker 4: You you know? And and those are the things that those are the growing pains, but that you know, that's the that's the beauty of football is is that as you get to know and you get used to just kind of playing next to people and you talk about things in between series using the iPad on the sideline, that you're talking and you're learning okay about each other and what your capabilities are. You're talking, Hey, man, this guy's a little bit better than.
Speaker 3: I thought he was.
Speaker 4: Here's why this is what he's doing. Can you help a little bit longer? Can you help a little bit longer this time before you work up to the next level. These are the kind of intimate details that these guys are talking about on the sidelines in between series. After you know, a couple of run plays are unsuccessful, the.
Speaker 1: Question now is how much better can they get at passing blocking? Because they've sold me on their ability to run block. Really they block well in the run game against South Carolina, they just fell behind and had to go to the predictable passing. But you know, can they improve noticeably in pass blocking, which is obviously completely.
Speaker 4: Different, Dave, I'd like to think that we saw the best pass rushing team that we're going to see this season.
Speaker 3: You know I did.
Speaker 4: I hesitated to come out to say that, just because it's Week two. You hadn't had a chance to see everybody else. I know, Tennessee, they you know, they got a good pass rush. But the group of guys collectively, that South Carolina guy even there into your guy. Uh, you know, those guys are going to grade out extremely high and pass and pass rush defense this season. It will probably be the best pass rushing defensive line we will face. And if there is a better, if there is a team that's better than.
Speaker 3: Them, then than than Old Boy.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: But I think that, uh, I think that that gives us definitely gives us something to build on. And we saw South Carolina and what they were against you know LSU last week, l s U. You know, they started out well, but eventually uh, you know, the ship took on some started taking on some water there with that South Carolina pass rush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again back to back. I mean you go from one to the other, you know, frying pan, meat fire. So, yeah, they've got to be learning, and it's it's not a bad thing if you're beaten on a play or if you're beating it anything any sports you're playing, if you're willing to learn from that. Right, Sometimes you learn more that way, don't you. I gotta think you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes you definitely can learn learn more that way because everything's not learned in one place. You don't learn all your lessons on the field. Right when you get on the field and you start to think that you've seen at all the wrinkles. It's only through film study that you can anticipate things that maybe you haven't seen or things that you haven't practiced against, because you see how maybe another defense alignment or offensive alignment, how they how they dealt with something. So that that's the beauty of film studying us coming out and being able to being able to have a game plan. And I think that when you look on the defensive side of the ball gave when you look at some of the success that we had there, especially with our safeties in the past game, I mean, it just seemed like those guys had taken a step forward with just preparation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, let us look back on that Georgia game a little bit before we talk about Dale. How are you game coming up? And let me get your take on the punt when Mark Stoops decided he would punt with three minutes to play, put the game in the hands of his defense. What was your reaction then, because a lot of people after the fact second guest him and then Stoop's second guesst himself obviously knowing what happened. But at the time, did you think that was the right move?
Speaker 4: I think I was frustrated like everyone else, But was it the right decision? I think that the data supports it, and not just the data, but I think that our defensive performance for that day supports that decision. So when and you know, you get a chance to possibly have them backed up with a return, you're looking at potentially given the offense, the ball somewhere close to midfield and you got to kick her. You got to kick her for that's four to four on the day, one of them being a fifty five yarder, and you know that you got to back up that. He's on record in practice of being able to kick somewhere between sixty and sixty five yards and all you need is three points. So you know, Mark played. He played the hot hand, which is, let's see if defense can get us a stop here and put us in position to kick a walk off field goal. And I can't I can't doubt him at all. I mean, you know, I mean the game plan that I guess, the productivity, and also you got to take into account that you know, offensively, we weren't moving them all the way that we would have liked. So you got to get the offense and opportunity, you know, based on the information that you have to be able to uh, you know, give yourself a chance there and all he felt that, uh that punting the ball and getting another stop was the best way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like I said, I always say, you know, second guests all you want, that's great, coach along. But if you second guess after the fact, and you had prior to the play, you haven't said to yourself, he should do extra y kind of makes it a little circumspect. But uh, it was that second down pass that made me scratch my head, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now I will say this, if you go back and you look at the series, and I need to look at it again. If you know that this is likely that you're playing, that you're going to be playing for four downs, then we need to you know, then the offensive play calling, the offensive play calling should should try to reflect that. You know, are we trying to get you know, you know, first down, you want to try to stay ahead of the change. You don't want to be second and ten, So you try to pick up four or five yards, whether it's a run pass you know who cares, Yeah, And then second, you.
Speaker 3: Know, second down you're trying to you know, once.
Speaker 4: Again, second you know, two or three yards start down, and then fourth you should be standing at a fourth and one, fourth and two. That's a no brainer.
Speaker 1: Talking to Jeremy Jordan, go ahead now, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Going to say, you know, fourth to one and two, it's a no brainer. You're going for that, uh by fourtun seven? I mean, show show me where you know, show me where you feel confident about that based on the day with with the offensive productivity and just in general on film, a team moving the ball against George over the last few years that are successfully picking up fourth and sevens and fourth and eight.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a there's an old saying by a minute an Eastern philosopher, if you want to make the wrong decision, as everyone I think any coach in America, no matter what the sport, would would tack that up on the wall. Jeremy Jarman is my guest, the great former Kentucky defensive lineman. You hear him on our pregame covers. We'll come back and talk more football with Double Jays in just a minute here on the Big Blue Sider six thirty wlap. Welcome back. We're talking, of course Kentucky football with Jeremy Jarman, part of our pregame coverage with Christy Thomas and Logan Stenberg. Ohio. You coming up. And I know Tom Leech has probably used this term on his show this week, and I certainly have. It's a horse racing term where horses come off a great performance and don't race back to what they had shown the race prior. And that when you use the term bounce, there does a horse bounce the next race? I do wonder, and I worry, Jeremy, will Kentucky bounce going into this game because the emotional level of the fans clearly won't be the same, The stadium won't feel the same. How difficult is it? And you've been there to get yourself back up for a game after such a tough but disappointing game prior, it can be difficult.
Speaker 4: I think every situation that just can post the morale in the building right now. I haven't been over there yet this week, gave plan on getting over there tomorrow, and I get to know, like what that mood is like. And that's the job, you know, that's the job of a head coach. That's the job of the coaches is to gauge, you know, where the players are. Are they hungrier after a tough loss to Georgia or they or the demeanor a little bit more somber. And I think that you have to effectively evaluate what that is. I like what Mark said a field last week about going to the captains on the team, the leadership. I think you do that same thing in this situation. You know, historically this is a trap game, This is a huge opportunity for a letdown, and you gotta go right to your leaders again and you gotta say, guys, what kind of week is it going to be? This is your team, this is your football team. All right, every week you get the opportunity to generate, to generate history, and what.
Speaker 3: Are the stories. What are they gonna say about how.
Speaker 4: We responded after taking the number one team to the wire, having them backed into a corner. We saw new players elevate their play and play at just an extremely high level. You have to challenge those guys, you have to challenge love it to sustain this and take it to another level. You gotta look these guys in the eye, all of these position coaches, and they got to look at each other now and they got to say, defensively, this is what we said that we were going to be. We said collectively going into this season. I heard Brad, I've heard him talk with this team. I've heard their responses that they were going to be a championship caliber defense.
Speaker 3: Is that going to sustain? And we're going to know here in a few days.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's It's a great point because it's not always what you do against the Georgia's and in South Carolina is what do you do in a game like this when you got to dig a little deeper, right, You.
Speaker 4: Got to dig a little deeper, and a team like Ohio I don't. I haven't seen their film yet, Gabe, but I know what it is like to be able to you try to come in town at an opportunity like this and and essentially come in, get the check and anything that you can fit on the airplane. After you come in and you pull off an upset and you take it all back. And Kentucky's got to prevent them from coming in with this dragon slayer mindset that they're going to come in and they're gonna catch us off guard. Uh, and and and and and come out with a victory. And you know, and and on top of that, it's it's more so as well. You know, we we try to sometimes not talk about the stats and the statistics, but they matter. Uh. This is an elite group of talent on this football team, and they got to continue to put these guys in positions to make plays.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: There's a lot to play for this season, a lot of football left. Uh, and they gotta get you know, we've talked about the identity on the offense. This is one of those games it's critical for them to start to find what type of offense that this is going to be.
Speaker 1: You know, when you think about the mac There are any number of examples you could put, including this year with Toledo crushing Mississippi State in Starkville, whipping Notre Dame, biggest win in the history of that program, which you know what, I always think back to your tenure at Kentucky when you guys had to work your butts off to beat a team called Kent State with a quarterback named Julian Edelman. I know you remember that game, don't you.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 4: I remember the game very well, Julian Edelman and Eugene Jarvis. And when I remember about that game going in, I remember the film study and I remember knowing who these guys were going into that game because I saw flash from those guys. And it wasn't until we got out there on the fields that I really realized, like I thought coming in that they were good players. But once once that whistle blew, I was like, oh boy. I mean we went in at halftime. I mean Julian Edelman, I mean he put on a clinic in the first half, and it was one of those things. It was one of those things where you know, I remember talking, you know, with our guys in the locker room, and I shared some of those experiences with our defensive lot. You know, I told those guys, you're in a different weight class.
Speaker 3: When you get a chance to catch.
Speaker 4: These guys, whether it's Julian Edelman, you get a chance to catch some of their playmakers out in space, you got to make them feel you. And that's exactly what happened against Kent State in the second half. Yeah, I mean, we started to lay on Julian Edelman and Eugene Jarvis and the game flipped pretty quickly. We shut those guys down. I don't think they scored again gave in the second half, But it never should have gotten to that. We never should have allowed a guy a team like that to come in and basically have all the energy and the momentum in the first half to where we had to elevate our play in the second half to essentially put it out of reach.
Speaker 1: You told me once that Julian Edelman's name came up in one of your NFL interviews pre draft interviews. Didn't you talk about him.
Speaker 4: Obsolutely?
Speaker 5: Did?
Speaker 4: And you know, the Patriots are so thorough. I just you know, I just think that they take the time, they asked the questions that a lot of other teams didn't ask, and they did a deep dive and I shared with them. But I thought Julian Edelman could have played in the SEC and that he would have been a ballplayer like this guy could. He could have helped any team in the SEC win football games. And there was you know, and.
Speaker 1: Look at his pro career, not too shabby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super Bowl MVP, a few Super Bowl rings, you know, arguably one of the better slots in the last twenty years in the NFL. Yeah, I mean, it definitely worked out for him.
Speaker 1: And he wasn't opposed to changing positions, did not go into the draftsu really saying I am a quarterback, So yeah, I get that work out. Jeremy Jarman as my guest. He is, of course one of our pregame analysts here on the UK Sports Network along with the Christy Thomas and Logan Stember. We'll come back and talk more to ball with Jeremy on the other side of the break here on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back. We're chatting with Jeremy Jarman, former Kentucky defensive end and one of my teammates on the UK Sports Network. Coming up at the bottom of the hour here in hour number two. West End Beera chief Gary Moore will join us today on a Thursday because what we had to wrap up early last night for Kentucky volleyball. But a little extra football chatter with Jeremy Jarman. We've talked quite a while without talking about Brock Vandergriff. We talked about the old line, of course, but I'm holding off on any kind of opinion on him, Jeremy, simply because of the nature of all three games. You know, the rain game South Carolina was a disaster, and then of course Georgia was a matter of survival and truly he had to manage the game. Made that one big mistake. But otherwise, what did you see, your learned eye, what did it tell you after the Georgia game.
Speaker 4: I see a quarterback that can make all the throws. He's a guy that excites me because because of his physical, mental, and spiritual toughness, three things that I think that you need to be an elite an elite player in this league, especially playing at a position like quarterback. With that being said, he's also a guy that has the experience of three career starts. Yeah, and I think that that's something that Yeah, the guy's a you know, former five star high school quarterback. But he's a guy that I see getting better every single week on film, dealing with a lot of adversity, continuing to rise tin in the battle through he's banged up, he's fighting through that, pushing through it. I see a guy that makes some good throws and then sometimes he hesitates because he's not quite sure if he can thread one in there. And some of that is the fact that you know, the guy played, you know, he's been the scout team quarterback for you know, the last two three seasons at Georgia, and he quite.
Speaker 3: Frankly knows there's some avatars.
Speaker 4: Running around out there on the back end, and he's just kind of hesitant maybe to put the you know, put the ball out there in some of those situations, just because he's seen these guys make incredible plays in practice and.
Speaker 3: In games on Saturdays. So, you know, it lets me know that.
Speaker 4: He's a guy that's smart enough to not overdo it, right. I could see where a younger quarterback playing against his former team could want to come out and try to do too much. And with Rocks, he may have showed just at.
Speaker 3: Times maybe just a tiny bit of restraint where you wish, hey man.
Speaker 4: Just let it go right, just let it go and just trust it. So I like what I'm seeing from Brock. He's a guy that just he's got a lot of upside. We've got to continue to build the play package around.
Speaker 3: Him and our strengths.
Speaker 4: I think that the quick passing game has to continue to evolve. I'd like to see coach Hompden I thought, I thought a game plan against Georgia was really good. I'd like to see us continue to diverse spint add to the screen package, running backstrings, tight end.
Speaker 3: Screens, jail break just just add to that.
Speaker 4: I think all of those things will be extremely valuaful to our offense because we have a lot of playmakers in my opinion, that can make plays. Different type of receivers, even our tight ends.
Speaker 3: Those stream packages, what a way to.
Speaker 4: Get the ball to guys and get them a chance with the football and open field.
Speaker 1: And speaking of I really thought that we would see Demi Zimo Karnbay catching the ball out of the backfield, skirting the edge. He did that, of course against Southern Miss, but both South Carolina and Georgia took that away from Kentucky. But what did he do? He slammed it up in there between tackles. When you talk about this entire team, Jeremy, that has surprised me the most in a good way. And I just wasn't certain that he'd be able to do that. Has it surprised you?
Speaker 3: It has surprised me because this isn't the ACC. And I've watched guys go.
Speaker 4: From ACC to SEC and you see them do some things in that league, and you wonder can they do it in the SEC?
Speaker 3: And Demmy, he was a guy that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if he was going to be a running back here or a slot receiver. Yeah, and I've watched him embrace what j Bull where the running backs coach, what they've asked him to do. You know, he is what he is. You know, he's not a big throne.
Speaker 3: Everything that he had behind it.
Speaker 4: I think he could catch the ball extremely well out of the backfield. I think he I think his explosion.
Speaker 3: He doesn't hesitate when he gets the ball.
Speaker 4: I think our run game, in my opinion, it's it's so successful because he explodes once he gets the ball through the line. He's able to read, He's able to read it pre snap, he's able to read it at the snap, and he's just been tough and scrappy and he's done a good job of avoiding like the big collisions that can occur, you know, in that first four or five yards after the handoffh.
Speaker 3: And crows to him and you just want to see.
Speaker 4: Him just continue to just to just contribute to this offense because it has been made his role. His impact has just been tremendous.
Speaker 1: Oh man. Uh and and you know the freshman that they've slid in there behind him because trade them sir. Yes, they're fun to watch too, so and that's so vital in a mark S Tubes team. I mean, you know, you can sling it around all you want, but we all know at the end of the day, it's going to be who can run in between the tackles. And right now it looks like knocking on wood, they're in pretty good shape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you just we know that we're getting closer to being able to get one to get our power back back again. Hope to hear soon with Chip training them getting him back into the mix. But uh but yeah, you know, will Cox, I'm happy with that group. I think areas for improvement past blocking shipping. I think those are things that those guys, Those are things that defensive ends they should feel running backs in the past blocking game. And I say that as you know, Alposer is a guy that used to come up the edge. I did not like seeing running backs leaning in the chip to help out on tackles because those guys had the ability to deplete you.
Speaker 3: With leverage because you're engaged on.
Speaker 4: A tackle and here he's coming, he's leaning in, he's getting a shoulder, he's getting a rib. Those type of things slow you down. And I think that we missed some opportunities in that South Carolina game to have our running to really lean in and get in the ribs of Knar and Dylan Stewart. And I promise you that those guys would have been a little step slower knowing that the running backs were capables and flipping harm on them in that pad of blocking game. They got to bring that fear. They got to bring that fear element to the past blocking game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I always go back to what Jeff Mano told us, a great former Wildcat, and you spend eight teen years and a league snapping a ball because people I've heard through the years. You know, I don't know if you want to call it debate or opinions or whatever. What's tougher to do? Run block or pass block? And Note always said I would rather run block because it's easier to move forward fire off the ball, knowing where you're going to go, than to move backwards, you know, and try to manipulate a defensive or an un rushing defensive lineman. Uh so, yeah, I mean, I don't know if you want to call it an art, but there's technique involved. Man, As you well know, Jeremy, you made your living going after quarterbacks and they got to learn.
Speaker 3: But I think they are, man, it's all of those things.
Speaker 4: It's an art, it's a skill. It's a science if you if you really want to be good at it, Yes, if you want to get in the film room and you want to study it, you know, to that degree, which any which anybody playing at this level should you know, should essentially want to do because you just don't show up on Saturdays and have success. It just doesn't work that way. League is just it evolves too fast. There's so many nuances and and and the players are just good and in my opinion, it's the film study that gives you something that kind of sometimes puts you over the top on game day to really be able to have the game that has an impact for your team.
Speaker 1: A few minutes left with Jeremy jermyan let me before I let you go, Uh, let me go, let me let you go with this. Uh, the ACC is trying to survive right now. And I think we all agree that the movement of the schools. Why while in some cases such as UCLA and USC there was they were just hamorrhaging money and the PAC twelve was so poorly managed they had to move. But Clemson in Florida State, they're so full of themselves right now. Uh, and it makes some interesting points. But uh, you know, they keep talking about leaving, and they're going to leave, and now the ACC is trying to come up with a new deal, a new proposal that might allow them to stay. And then you know, with TV ratings involved in all that. But as a guy who played the sport in the best league there is and probably ever will be in college athletics, how much do you fear for college athletics Because it's just a crazy time right now. I know, it's an open ended question.
Speaker 4: It is and and and I do fear it. I just think it's it's really unfortunate. I feel I feel really bad for the fan basis. Yeah, because we are seeing we are seeing the business side of it.
Speaker 3: Changed, uh, change the game, change.
Speaker 4: The conferences that at a at a at a rate that I don't know if it's ever happened.
Speaker 1: I don't think it has.
Speaker 4: Everybody's trying to find the answers. And yeah, in Florida State and Clemson Ultimate lead, you know, the A C C. Whatever deal they strike today, the landscape could be different in the year like so, I mean, how bad you know, you want to keep those teams right, but I mean you know how much of a cost uh, you know to the happiness of the other members.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know you're.
Speaker 4: Striking deals that that that affect the you know, the flow of dollars and the you know, the revenue and TV TV deals, et cetera. And you're gonna you're gonna make the other members of the conference very disgruntled as well. And it's just a bad it's a bad situation to be trying to manage.
Speaker 1: I know that I'm glad that we got to their argument, we we got to worry about ourselves before we worry about anybody else. But there's a big picture involved. And I say this with my background of spending two years in the old Southwest Conference back when it was beginning to wobble a bit because there was cheating so much, and everybody except for TCU and Rice are on probation and stabbing each other in the back, and then you know, the Texas Network kind of uh toward that league apart. I mean, it's bad business. And I think, Jeremy, there are times and you got to look, you got to give into the business side of things, right.
Speaker 4: I guess, Gabe, I'm not so sure that there's not a that there's not a major coup that's happening right now. And we'll look back in a few years and and we'll kind of be able to analyze, you know, some of the moves and things like that that have been made over the years. But I think that I think that there's something far bigger at play that's going on in college sports right now, and it's not just the realignment of conferences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're right, and we need we will revisit it. Constantly, but I'd love to know where we'll be in the next not just five years, but a couple of years. It just seems like something comes up each and every day. Jeremy Jarman is part of our pregame coverage of Kentucky football. He and Logan and Christy. You will have the countdown to kickoff coming up early. Hey you got to get up early brother Saturday? Do you like that ten thirty airtime?
Speaker 3: Ten?
Speaker 1: Are you just hearing that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I guess I hadn't. I guess I just hadn't done the man game.
Speaker 1: Appreciate my Yeah, but your little man gets you up early every day, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: He does two early, two early games. So now I'm looking for it. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I think that I think they've done such a good job. We're always we're doing seems like more and more, you know, with the UK Sports Network has been fun. The addition of some new people in the digital space. There's a lot of projects that are going on currently across the entireju CA Athletics landscape. I'm super excited about our future, you know, with JMI UK Sports Network.
Speaker 1: Good glad to hear that. When you're happy. I'm happy, Jeremy Jarman, Thank you so much, buddy, and we'll see you Saturday.
Speaker 4: Hi brother, see you So.
Speaker 1: Coming up at the bottom of the hour, west End Bureau chief Gary Moore here on the Big Blue Sider six thirty eight WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider. Coming up in just a few minutes, west End Bureau Chief Gary Moore joined us. Yeah, on a Thursday yesterday we were cut a little short by UK volleyball. So Gary joining us at the bottom of this hour a few minutes here to tell you about dan Orlovsky's latest I don't know if you want to call it a gaff or it's not controversial, but just some comments he made on the NFL network Orlovsky of course, I think he's a good analyst. I don't always agree with him, but he has said some interesting things through the years as an analyst for the NFL Network and a guy who played twelve years in the NFL. I was when I read that. I thought he was maybe a backup quarterback for three or four years, but he actually played twelve seasons primarily as a backup. Drafted out of Yukon by the Lions in twenty zero five. I had a good college career, turned down Michigan State produced schools like that to go to his home state Yukon because he said he wanted to elevate the Huskies in the Big East. And like I said, he got him to the Music City Bowl or MotorCity Bowl rather in twenty oh four as his last year. But he signs with the Lions. He's there for three or four years, then the Texans, the Colts, Buccaneers, back to the Lions where he was under practice squad and finished up with the Rams on their practice squad. But a good talker, a good interviewer, outspoken and winds up on ESPN and other networks. And now he's a regular. You hear him talking all the time. But apparently and I don't watch the show he's on much, but they talk about food now and then, and they were talking about hot dogs, and it kind of had on because my wife and I debate and argue about how to cook hot dogs. She likes them on the grill. I like them. I like to boil them and then finish them on the grill, whether it's a hot dog or and then she uses the impossible version as being a vegetarian of a brot or an Italian sausage or whatever. But to me, boiling brings out the flavors and then you finish them on the grill if you have that kind of patience. But apparently Orlowsky tweeted the question what is a Chicago style hot dog? Which a lot of people love, and tom Lee chipcorn I tape the Wildcat Whip at South of Wrigley where you can get yourself a Chicago style dog. They'll make it any way you want, but it's generally an all beef hot dog on a poppy seed bun, and you can have any of the following any or all yellow mustard, which I don't care for.
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 1: I like the brown mustard, sweet pickle relish. I like that chopped white onion. Yeah, dill pickle spear. I have never maybe once if I seen that, but it adds kind of a salty finish if you like it. Tomato slices or wedges, I've never seen it. I've seen some dice tomatoes on hot dogs. Not a fan like tomatoes, pickled sport peppers, whatever those are, but I do like pickled peppers, celery salt, no thank you. I hate celery and it's listed because it adds crunch as a finishing touch. No, thank you, but Orlavskia the other day kind of stunned as coworkers by saying this a couple things.
Speaker 5: Hot dogs are better on the grill than they are broiled or pie. They're actually at their best when they are cut into small pieces and added into macaroni and cheese.
Speaker 4: That's child.
Speaker 5: If you really want to have a great hot dogs, you grill it, but a piece of America and cheese on the roll, then that and catch up.
Speaker 4: Wow, I've never heard it.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of worst way to eat dog.
Speaker 5: But you never a hot dog you put it in mac and cheese.
Speaker 1: Buddynny, that sounds term.
Speaker 3: I don'd of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've heard of it. I may have even seen it. But no, that's the worst thing you can say about hot dogs is that they're made to be cut up and put in macaroni and cheese. Reminds me of The Big Bang Theory, where Sheldon's mother always delighted him when she would prepare spaghetti with little pieces of hot dog cut up and as she called it, that's real Italian eating. Now, that's it. It's not gross. I mean, you know, mac and cheese is fine. Hot dogs and f are fine. You can even put them together, but don't say that's the best way to present a hot dog. That's just wrong. Or the thing, you know, the bun with just the plain piece of yellow cheese at plastic cheese, no thank you, Orlafski knows his foot ball doesn't know as dogs. Gary Moore's next welcome back to Big Lewinsider. It is Thursday, not Wednesday. But last night we had to abbreviate a show because of volleyball. So our man Gary Moore, a west End bureau chief, slides over one night he of course with two guys in a six pack, And it's kind of an extra day to steep, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's marinating for a whole twenty four hours now. So yeah, we got six topies that go over by the way, happy belated. I think I sent you a little message on Facebook. Mighty nice of your packers to win for you. How about that you are a shareholder as a home underdog, and I understand the game ball is on the way. With a little extra spittle from Josh Myers, I understand it could be.
Speaker 1: The center who threw up on the ball. Hey, who can we send this to?
Speaker 6: Who would appreciate this more than anybody?
Speaker 1: You know? I have seen Alignment lose his pregame meal right before snap. I've seen that it was a Kentucky Georgia game any many years ago. I think it was a Georgia player. Could have been anybody canon see that? Nope, Well, hopefully you're Trinity boys will do the same tomorrow night Mail and Trinity catch up. Yeah, well, we got six topics to go over here. And by the way, speaking of predictions, is it too late for me to get a mulligan on my Super Bowl pick of the Lions and the Bengals? And maybe do it do over?
Speaker 6: The Bengals were half as good at playing winning football as are at popping off with their mouths, they would be two and o by now. But we got a lot of these and two teams. Now, there's a point I wanted to bring up about this as we get into the NFL this weekend, is are these oh and two teams just rusty or are they going to be really crummy for the rest of the year. I'm talking about people like Baltimore, last year's AFC runners up, is lamar rusty or just regressing. You got the Giants, Rams, Titans, Colts, Jags, Panthers, Broncos and Falcons. Well, the Falcons were all about to go almost uh oh to three, but they rallied on Monday night, obviously, But fewer than here, this is from the athletic Fewer than eleven percent of NFL teams have ever made the playoffs after they started zero and two. Doesn't matter about the ratings. TV ratings are off to record starts again and tight. We've got the Patriots and the Jets on Amazon Thursday Night Football. But these slow starts for teams. Do you think it's just veterans who didn't play in the preseason kind of working through some things in the rest or do you think there's really some bad regression going on with some of these teams?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I think it's both. You know, that's a cop out answer, I though, But some of the teams you mentioned are just woeful anyway, and some are supposed to be pretty good, like the Bengals. But the Bengals, it seems like, and this has been a pattern for the Bengals over the last four years. Uh, they got to take a good look at how they prepare for the upcoming season. So some of this has been borrough, dealing with injuries and that sort of thing, but it is a startling statistic. The one you mentioned about getting off to a slow start kind of ruins your season in the NFL, or at least getting the playoffs. But one of these years, and it may have already happened. I don't think it has. A team's going to start on too and win the Super Bowl, but that doesn't matter. If you start off ohing two, that's a clear message that something ain't right.
Speaker 6: Second swig in the six packs for this week after the Jets Pats game tonight. Besides my Seahawks hosting the two of free Fish this week in five games are getting my attention. See what you think two and oh Chargers at the two and oh Steelers, one and one Lions at the one and one and suddenly surprising Cardinals. You got the two and o Texans at the definitely surprising two and oh Vikings. That'll be a great game, obviously, the one and one Eagles that should be two and oh at the hood. Adds at the Saints they're two and oh, why the Saints look like a machine all of a sudden. And then you got Lamar and the oh and two Ravens at the one and one Boys down in Dallas. One side is going to be bitching loud and long after that game. And then we got not one but two Monday night games, the O and two Jacks at the two and oh Bills, the first one in seven thirty, then eight to fifteen ABC one and one Washington up I seventy five against these aforementioned disappointing oh and two Cincinnati Bengals. Besides your Packers game with hopefully no on field vomiting episodes, which of those games would intrigue you the most?
Speaker 1: Actually, Well, much as I'd love to see Baltimore go down and beat Dallas, because I want to see everybody and anybody beat Dallas. And yeah, you're right, the Saints are really fascinating right now, and Philly definitely blew that game. I don't believe in Kyler Murray yet, so I'm you know, I think Detroit should be good there. But the one that I'm really curious about here, he is San Diego at Pittsburgh with Harball versus Tomlin. You know, San Diego's probably will It definitely is the Glossier team in terms of how they play, how they move to the football, how they score. But Pittsburgh, man, you talk about a team that reflects its fan base and it's city and it's head coach. So well, that's gonna be I think, a real fascinating match.
Speaker 6: And Herbert hasn't really practiced a lot this week too, quarterback chargers, so that factor intuitous.
Speaker 1: So we got to see how much time mister watts Men's in the backfield. Yeah, it's gonna be harassing Herbert.
Speaker 6: Good luck with that our third swig and the six pack. It's not college football, you know, Dick. Besides the B fifty two is one of my favorite bands from Athens, Georgia, band I Love playing on Klos rim Rim had a song off of their second album that was called second Guessing, and the line goes, why are you trying to second guess me? I'm tired of second guessing. I don't know if Mark Stoop's had this on a rotation this week or not, but obviously I bring this up because obviously that's been what's going on. I know you've covered it a lot this week on the show. All I will say is in terms of that going for the punt instead of going for it on fourth and eight is if you don't have a play in your back pocket like a lot of NFL teams do that nobody has seen yet. Maybe you stack up four receivers on one side. Maybe there's something on there that can get you five to ten yards. If you don't have one of those in your back pocket, maybe you should work on one of those in practice, or maybe get a new OC or something. Because it seems to me that was a game worth winning. I will say, hats off to the team, by the way, the whole team was fantastic. They deserve to win that game. They did not deserve the miss calls, like the mistargeting calls. They did not deserve to have the pick sixth.
Speaker 1: Return or overturn.
Speaker 6: It looked like it was a fine bounce off the guy's hand to me. But that's all I'm going to say here. As far as the rim song goes, there's the second line after that is what will be your look this season? So I ask you, wow, can they sustain this? You're the one on the sidelines. What difference is if any did you see on the sidelines from the players and the coaches during the Georgia game that you didn't see during Carolina And can they sustain this kind of a play that they had on Saturday night for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: They showed up ready to play, They showed up focused, They showed up concentrating on the hand on a job at hand, and they better have because of how they get spanked by South Carolina. But I've talked about it you write this week. Talking to Zion Childress after the game as one of the leaders, he said, I had to show the young players that I wasn't going to let the South Carolina game affect the way I prepared for this game. They've got to have that in space the entire up and down the roster. This week. I'm guessing they will, but I've also been around the block a few times. You have no way. In my opinion, my humble opinion, I think they'll be ready to play. You cannot fake that kind of emotion, So I think they're gonna have to really grind this one out to win it, because Ohio use a good team. As for the second guessing, yeah, obviously that's been a topic all week. And man, when did they write that song, like right after the game. That's pretty amazing. Yeah, to your point about that play, yeah, I could see that, but I would have run that play on second or third down, Yeah, exactly, although I was not crazy about throwing on second down. To me, you play that like four down territory, you know you play that, And but we've hashed that up all week. But the other thing to do is do no matter what play you have with George's big uglyes rushing up field, chasing down your quarterback, the odds to him getting a chance to look for those four receivers were kind of slim port.
Speaker 6: Swigg in the six pack. So we got Ohio at UK there you'll be down there. Twelve forty five Saturday SEC Network Cats twenty point favorites at this point, three point thirty this Saturday afternoon on ESPN two, number nineteen, U OFL finally back in action after two weeks. They'll host Georgia Tech Cards are a ten point favorite as we speak. And how about my Hilltoppers? Did Gabriel have you heard about this weekend?
Speaker 1: By any chance?
Speaker 6: Well, let's go back to Saturday. First of all, when in the beatdown of Middle Tennessee local red shirt sophomore quarterback Hayden Veldt Camp South Warren High School and bowling, they wanted to make him a tight end at the end of last season, came out in the bowl game, did some great things. Still didn't start in this game, but he relieved injured transfer starting quarterback TJ. Finley when twenty seven for thirty passing ninety percent completion rate best ever in WKU history. Saturday night in bowling Greens seven o'clock Toppers and Toledo, which we know what happened with Toledo and in Mississippi State done in Stark, Vegas. Toppers are two and a half point underdog, but I'm going to take him to win and.
Speaker 1: Beat the spread.
Speaker 6: And of course I like U of L and UK in those games as well.
Speaker 1: Could be a bounce for Toledo. Yeah, so maybe the Toppers lying in wait and take them down. I think that spread of the Louisville Georgia Tech game is really interesting. Speaks well to the respect for U of L. But you know, Georgia Tech was the nation's darling after beating Florida state in Ireland, and that opener looked really good doing it. But since then, the value of that victory it keeps plumbing. With the fortunes of Florida State. You know, they beat did Georgia Tech last time at VMI from Lexington, Virginia beat them, I mean, yeah, hang on making edit there last week blew them out. Prior to that, they're lost to Syracuse. So I think some of that luster is off Georgia Tech. That's going to be a good one. I think Georgia Tech covers in that game. But I think loosvill wins Fifthswig and the six packs.
Speaker 6: So besides these these three games you mentioned of commonwealth concern, I got five other college games I'm going to check out starting tomorrow night. Friday night, number twenty four, Illinois at number twenty two, Nebraska, they're both three and zero. Then on Saturday, you got UCLA at number sixteen, LSU the Bayou Bengals by twenty three. After the Bruins, who got just absolutely beaten down at the Rose Bowl by Indiana, you got number eleven. Here's a big game of the Big House. Number eleven. USC at number eighteen. Michigan sc is a six point favorite. I want to watch that one. They ain't got that school down. I seventy five number six balls three and oh number fifteen Oklahoma at Oklahoma balls a seven point favorite. But you got x ok Josh Heipel going back to his former field of glory, he might want to run it up. I would not be surprised, you know. And then a couple other games too, Baylor two and one at Colorado also two and one. Buffs are point and have favorites. We know how we feel about coach Prime and his animosity toward the media. I say, go Bears. And by the way, you're talking about Florida State, Cal Berkeley. Now the acc Cal went into Auburn. We saw what they did to Auburn three and oh they're playing at FSU oh and three.
Speaker 1: What happens if SFU loses that game? Well, I think Mike Norvial, having taken Florida State through a thirteen and oh run last year, he's okay. His counterpart at Florida Billion, Aapier, not so much. But that's an entire that's a stink possibility. As you said, given what Cal did coming across the country, get used to it. Bears, to have to play acc games and vice versa. You know teams will have to go to Berkeley. But yeah, there are so many intriguing matchups, but I think Tennessee, Oklahoma tops the list. You mentioned animosity. It's an amazing story what Josh Hipel did. And yesterday I ran the story about how Mike Leach saw a video of the skinny as he as he put a pasty faced kid and said that's my quarterback because of how accurate he was throwing the football and he all all what he does is lead Oklahoma to national title, but as an oc gets fired by Mark Stoop's brother at one point. So yeah, this is a tremendous story.
Speaker 6: And you, as a Packer fan, should know who found Jordan Love and got him to Utah State. Josh Hipel, Now about that. There you go, guy knows his quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: Speaking of cal Berkeley, this enters into the last sip here Dick. Last week after our show, it was announced that the PAC twelve is adding more schools. Four of them have signed on to join Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, San Diego State from the Mountain West. Those four joining Oregon State and Washington State two schools. Of course, we're not invited to the Big ten and they got shunned by the Big twelve.
Speaker 1: So it's the Pack six for now.
Speaker 6: It needs to add two more schools by July twenty twenty six to stay in compliance with the NCAA. Might be looking at Memphis, might be looking at Tulane also, that's out of the AAC, and then you got UNLV still out of the Mountain West. They'd like Oregon State ad Scott Barnes has said, we're focused on rebuilding.
Speaker 1: The PAC twelve.
Speaker 6: So I ask you, could Stanford and col be part of that new pack in the next few years, both from the ridiculous cross country affiliation with the Atlantic Coast Conference and would it even be considered a Power five conference with or without Stanford and Cal joining.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know how the the laws are written, the contracts are worded. You know, that might allow them to back out of the deal they have now and return to the PAC twelve. But I will say I'm all for it because the PAC twelve did not deserve to die that miserable death that was mismanaged. As we've talked more than once and you covered that conference for a long time mismanaged into oblivion and never should have happened. I think college football's best college athletics when you got balance on each coast. So and again, everyone has beaten this to death about how unfair it is for the kids to have to travel like that, not just west to east, but east to west. So I'm hoping that works. But I got to tell you during March Troops's news conference, when he referred to how good Georgia was he said, he kind of muttered, it's not like we were playing some team from the mountain West.
Speaker 6: There we go, ooh an answer that, But he ain't wrong, Yeah, exactly. Well down the line, it'll see what happens. I think some of the stuff is going to sort it out eventually. But again, and this was all about mismanagement, like you say, and older adults who needed some money from certain schools in the pack that are no longer in the pack.
Speaker 1: Yep, that is two guys in a six pack. We'll come back with a couple of hot reads for Gary Moore in just a minute. Here on the Big one Sider six thirty WLAP. Welcome back. We're talking with our West end Bureau Chief Gary Moore. Yeah, it's Thursday, but we had a short show last night, so Gary with us tonight. We've gone through two guys in a six pack, couple of hot reads for mister Moore. Hall of Fame voting underway, and of course you've got a long list of candidate's sixteen going into the voting for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Marshawn Lynch I think is a lock. Adam Vinettieri the best kicker in the history of the game of foot ball, I think is as well. But to me, the juiciest story Gary is Eli Manning his career record one seventeen and one seventeen, never got an MVP vote, but two Super Bowl wins. Now, football is the ultimate team game. We know this unless that's how it bills itself. But individual accomplishments oftentimes send people to the Hall. Yep, does he go in? Would you vote? Let's put it to you that way. Uh. Yes.
Speaker 6: And and then when I saw him as Chad Powers, that sort of reaffirmed my confidence.
Speaker 1: In him. It's got two Super.
Speaker 6: Bowl rings and single hand well, I won't say single handley, but he was the quarterback in charge of of of leading the team to beat the best chance the best modern day team or you know since the seventy two Dolphins, to be undefeated. He you know, the Patriots were like rolling and rolling and rolling undefeated when they got to the Super Bowl. He was a quarterback that yeah, was at the helm when they beat him.
Speaker 1: He took him.
Speaker 6: In fact, he got two Super Bowl rings. So, uh, for my money, he's in the biggest margin.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't vote for him first ballot, but because I would reserve that for people like Lynch and Vinitari. But to me, what would carry him in as well as his two Super Bowl wins, this guy engineered twenty seven regular season fourth quarter comebacks in addition to what you just described in the Super Bowl, So twenty seven times during his career. He led his team thirteenth among qb since they started tracking this in nineteen sixty according to Pro Football Reference. Buddy, that's one more than Joe Montana and more than twice as many as Roger Staubach, who is known as Captain Comeback. I think that's important.
Speaker 6: Those are very important. Now he's got two Super Bowl rings. You know who also should have two Super Bowl rings Marshawn Lynch. Had they handed off the ball to him against the Patriots, you'd have another Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 1: But it's the worst play call ever ever in football.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 1: There will never be a second worst play. That's the worst ever. You feel strongly about that. Our second high to aid. Michael Jordan finally has found a buyer for his Chicago mega mansion. It's only been on the market for more than twelve years. This think seven acres gary built back in the nineties in the Highland Park suburb of Chicago. Back in twenty twelve, they were asking twenty nine million. Three years later the price had dropped a fourteen point eight million, and it was fourteen point eight five to five million. Those digits add up to twenty three by the way, and that's what the price has been ever since. Now Here, let me make the pitch to you. Thirty two thousand square feet. It has nineteen bathrooms, five fireplaces, a regulation sized basketball court, weight room, built in aquarium. Well worth the money at fourteen point eighty five. But who steps up and buys that. I don't know how many people need that of space?
Speaker 6: You say, nineteen bathrooms, yes, sir, I think of the Sharman bill. But I guess if you get the yacht, you can afford the oil, right you put.
Speaker 1: The charman in a good two or three, and then the other ones can use the paper from a big lots.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, if it went basically a half price, you know, they knocked it down twenty nine. If they would have knocked it down another fourteen million, I would have bid on it.
Speaker 1: Eight eighty five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, eight fifty five.
Speaker 1: I could probably find something on that. You know. Hey, here's another one. Think of the landscaping bill, the upkeep. Oh man, you got to be an NBA superstar to afford it.
Speaker 6: Tennis court putting green infinity pool, which you could probably use like how many you know, three months out of the year in Chicago because you have to better all the way up through until June.
Speaker 1: Oh I guarantee it's heated.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's a nice thing. Well, I'm glad he's gonna sell it. You know, he needs the dove. You know, he won't eat spam anymore if he sells this.
Speaker 1: So that's great for Michael. You don't have to water the soup anymore. From Michael Jordan. Garry Moore is our West End bureau chief year of each in every week right here, and you can also read him on Twitter knee.
Speaker 6: X at at nine five five Gary, let's see you're at leave.
Speaker 1: It's still big blue in cider one. Thank you, sir. And that'll do it for now, thanks to Gary, thanks to Jeremy Jarman and Dermini Dawson has been an all star lineup today. That's it. Good night from the garage and Lexingdon.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, let me, let me explain something to you. I am not mister Lebowski. You're mister Lebowski.
Speaker 1: I'm the dude every sea