Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's nick coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, let's get the four o'clock hours started here on a Wednesday afternoon. It is coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm gonna stick with something I mentioned last week that I said I would do before it's all over. And it's all over for me here soon, so no better day to do it than today. I'll do this in the second segment. And I don't want to act as if like this is some big thing, because you know, it's just my opinion. But somebody did ask me last week if I could give the top five Louisville football and basketball players of all time, and I did, five best Louisville basketball players of my lifetime that I can remember, because again, I didn't watch Griff play.
Speaker 3: I know he was great. I mean you could.
Speaker 2: I'm sure some people still believe he's the best brother that ever played here. But and I wouldn't disagree with that, I just you know, I didn't watch him, so I'm just basing it off of what I witnessed, an experience because again that that's what makes it my opinion. So and again that's not to say that my opinion would differ if I did live in the eighties and watched griff in that group and all that. But anyways, because football is such a tricky thing as far as like there's so many different positions, there's so many people on the field to where like best football player of all time is rarely ever a conversation anybody has, right, it's best quarterback of all time, best receiver of all time, and quite literally, there's not only a lot of different positions in football than there is basketball. But you can be a gardener forward and nobody really notices depending upon you can just identifies whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: We don't see position, just like we don't see gender. Right, but when it comes to football, like you know, imagine comparing an offensive lineman and a safety. I mean, you wouldn't be able to do it as far as well, he's the best player of all time, No he's not. This safety is not the offensive lineman. So what I'm gonna do is give you my top I think I want to do top four because top five seems like too many. It'd be tough to do, but top three didn't seem like enough. I'm gonna do my top four running backs, receivers, quarterbacks, and also defensive players, and it'll be just based off the same thing what I watched and sort of my experience as a fan. And I don't want to make it seem like I'm doing this to be so self serving, but it was a request that I got last week and then I kind of put it off, and then they bumped it and said, hey, are you gonna do this or not? So for this person, and I'm hope hopefully others will be interested as well, because I last week I learned a lot of you guys didn't agree with my top five basketball players. But again it's just my opinion. And also if you paid attention or maybe you just didn't catch the entire segment, I mean, I was only doing guys that I watched play, you know. So anyways, we'll do that coming up here before too long. But if you are just not joining us, we are still awaiting a decision formally from.
Speaker 3: The man of the hour.
Speaker 2: Otega away Kentucky's top returning player unless he's not, meaning he's not returning to Kentucky, which I guess to be fair. Right now, he's in the draft and he's got to remove himself from the draft, and the process to do that is by submitting paperwork by midnight tonight, And he might have already done it, it just hasn't been made public. He may have, like as far the formal process could have already happened. He just may not be itching to tell anybody anything until later tonight. Maybe he's somebody that likes to leave people in suspense. Maybe he really doesn't know what he wants to do. That's what I have a hard time believing. I mean, Austin, you were much more recently at that age than I was. I kind of feel like, at this point, wouldn't you, I mean, wouldn't you know what you're gonna do at this point? Because there's not much information that's gonna change. It could just simply come down to you knowing both options and just not being able to decide which one you'll want to do. Because I think he's got to have at least a gut feeling right by now, even if he hasn't actually filed anything as far as coming back, he hasn't told anybody anything definitively. Even if that's the case, he probably knows what he's gonna do. But then you would have to ask, Okay, well, if he wants to, if he knows he's coming back, why not say anything.
Speaker 3: It could be two things.
Speaker 2: He's really just looking for a reason to leave and not come back to Kentucky, or he likes to play this role.
Speaker 3: In leaving people in suspense.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I just I really can't see a scenario where he would say, yeah, I don't want to go back to Kentucky unless he didn't like Kentucky. And I just have a hard time seeing that. What would you do if you were in this position and you were viewed as a late second round PICKT best, But you could come back to Kentucky, be the man and make a lot of money. Just to me, it seems like an easy decision. With all that said, I hope he does go go to the NPA.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it probably has to be the latter.
Speaker 4: I mean, stay, be the BMOC, right, the big man on campus.
Speaker 3: Get your money.
Speaker 4: Uh, And that's a good thing that be that super senior and that's a good position to have, even if you're not getting paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're living a great lifestyle. You're the man, and now you're getting paid to be the man. Like to me, it just seems like it's Kentucky too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, see like these young kids, I mean, these kids these days, at the end of the day, like the goal is to get to the league. I feel like probably for like ninety nine percent of every college basketball player, the dream is to be in the NBA. And even though, like you know, tomorrow's not promised, so you could probably just be told that. I mean, if you stay another year, you probably bump up to a first round guaranteed. But at this point you're already so close, and you know, they just may have that mentality of you know, tomorrow's not guaranteed, to go ahead, to give it a shot while I'm here, because this is, you know, everything he's probably dreamed of since he's you know, started playing basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I somebody mentioned this on the text line. By the way, it's the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line if you guys would like to text in FABO two four three eight ninety seventy three. Uh And and I knew he had a brother that played in the NFL. Somebody mentioned though that like, maybe the money thing is not as much of a factor for him as it would be others because his you know, his brother's been in the NFL for a long time and he's already you know. I mean, I don't know. So his brother plays for the Ravens. He went to Penn State and was there for a few years, and he's been with the Ravens since twenty twenty one, was a first round pick, and it does look like, yeah, I don't think he's like a star for them, but he's somebody that since being drafted has been has been with them, and they picked up the latest option on his contract. So I mean, maybe that's a factor to where the money is not as big of a thing to him. I mean, I wouldn't imagine he gets all his brother's money. I don't know, but I'm just trying to think of a scenario where this turns out to where he doesn't come back to Kentucky. And it could mean if he doesn't, it just means he didn't want to. And people are entitled to decide whatever they want to do something I would love to do. Maybe he considered something that you would never want to do. Everybody's differ. But when you consider the scenario, I just think if he didn't come back, it would be because of reasons that I just can't quite believe are real, meaning that he doesn't like playing at Kentucky, that he doesn't think the team's going to be good next year, and maybe his draft stock would suffer from that. Maybe he just hates college. And but even if all that's the case, the financial component is what would make it all worth it. Now, maybe somebody's onto something on the text line that his NFL brother has you know, been generous to where he's I mean, look O take always probably already made a lot of money playing college basketball. Therefore another year of doing it would be great. But he also couldn't get paid doing something in basketball next year if he did not sign with a like if he signed a two way deal after being a second round pick, I mean, he would still make good money. It wouldn't be the big an IL check he's going to get from Kentucky, but it would still be a lot of money to someone that age. And again, he's probably already put away a lot of money because he played at Kentucky last year and was arguably their best player. Now there is the This is something that I hadn't really considered. And I heard I heard KSR talking about a little bit this morning and that and Chris Livingston was one of the guys.
Speaker 3: Who is that his name?
Speaker 2: There was a Livingston that played at Kentucky for one year and went pro his Yes, yes, that's him. There's so many guys Cali Perry put into the NBA.
Speaker 3: Was that the year?
Speaker 2: No, No, this was much more recent. He went to the NBA draft and yeah, he got drafted by the Bucks in the twenty twenty three drafts. So he played. So he played on I guess it was on. It was on the team that lost to Kansas State in the in the second round, and he was a five star recruit and it didn't work out. He later signed with Rich Paul, the agent for Lebron, and they blamed Cali Perry, which I really don't think that Cal had anything to do with him.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: I mean that got played and just wasn't quite as good and as he was supposed to be. What I'm getting at is this could be a potential scenario because he left and nil was already a thing and his draft stock was not great. He ended up being the fifty eighth overall pick, so he became a second He was the second to last pick in the draft. He kind of knew that's where his draft stock was, but he had an agent that told him, if somebody takes you in these late rounds, we're going to get it worked out to where your deal is multi year, to where you know, we're not going to have them guarantee as much upfront, but they'll guarantee it over time. And I don't know the exact arrangements of his contract, but he got a rare second round contract to where you know, financially it wasn't it wasn't viewed as such a big risk, I suppose, But again, he was in a different situation. This is a guy who was so highly regarded coming out of high school and it so clearly didn't work out for him in college as far as you know, living up to expectations, to where if he comes back to college for another year and he's once again underwhelming, at that point, the NBA, they don't forget about you, but they feel as if you've proven you weren't, you weren't the guy, so we'll see. But again tonight at midnight is the deadline. And again, if I had to guess, I would say he's already decided he's coming back. He might have already gone through the process formally of it being official, but as far as an announcement and notification and acknowledgment, nobody's entitled to that.
Speaker 3: It just depends on if he wants to do it. He could do it and.
Speaker 2: Make BBN very happy today, and I'm sure he will, but at this point it didn't look like he's done that just yet.
Speaker 3: All right, so let's see where do we want to go here.
Speaker 2: This isn't something that maybe you found interesting, but I did, and I wanted to share with you because I feel like this is really rare. The early, I guess, the early stages of this new world of college athletics with NIL the portal where you basically have pro sports.
Speaker 3: That's what it is, right.
Speaker 2: You got free agency with the portal, and you got big money within IL and it's professional sports.
Speaker 3: But we're just told that it's not when we know that it in fact is.
Speaker 2: But in the early, the early years here, there's been a study put together by CBS Sports that says elite recruits and NFL draft. Yah says basically, if you are somebody that's an elite recruit, you have a better chance. Like so far, are the guys who have been elite recruits and stayed at the school they went to have a much better chance of getting to the NBA or play of the NFL. And guys who are big time recruits that end up, as you know, at a top school, they end up transferring and I guess they technically still could end up going to the NFL, but I don't know if that. What I found interesting here is that there's two ways to look at it. One, if you are as good as they say, no matter where you go, you'll show it, you'll play. You don't have any need to transfer because if you are as good as you may, maybe you go to a school and the team stinks and you want to leave because of that reason or a coaching change. But if you are really really good and you end up at one of the top five schools Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, still, I mean Oregon. Just think of the teams that have been the best in college football the last seven eight years consistently. If you are as good as advertised and you end up at those schools, it'll all work out to where one you're playing for a really good program and you're making a lot of money, and then when you're ready, you'll go to the NFL. So there's that way of looking at it, meaning if you were a five star and you get there and you don't play, it might mean you're not good enough, and then you end up leaving and just.
Speaker 3: Trying to start over.
Speaker 2: There'll be guys who, by the way, five star recruits that played a different school every year and they never really showed that they were ever worth the ranking they got coming out of high school, but they're still living off of that and getting opportunities because well, I mean, this guy was a five star kid at high school that nobody wanted. But anyways, there's the other side I'm getting at is that it's not just harder because you don't even have the chance to play right away if you're really really good young.
Speaker 3: Because a guy that's really really really.
Speaker 2: Good but he's twenty two and he's a senior is going to play over a guy who's really good and has a lot of future, has a lot of upside, big time future, but just not ready yet. Like you, just because the portal makes it to where you can load up with veterans every year. Now, guys stick around in college more so because they can make money. Then there's not the pressure to go to the NFL and make money. They can make money in college. So because of that, it's just much more difficult to get opportunities early on at the bigger schools unless you are elite of the elite of the elite. Like I don't know if Isaac Brown and Duke Watson chose Louisville specifically because of this. Maybe it had nothing to do with it at all, but those guys probably would have had a harder time getting on the field right away at a place like Texas, at a place like Georgia, at a place like Alabama or Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Now maybe not.
Speaker 2: Maybe they would have shown how good they are and it would have all played out. But I think there are schools in that tier that Louisville's in right now. You're certainly not a power program, you're certainly not flirting with a national championship, but you're good and you've I guess not for too long. But like but bram he sustained success up to this point, and by all signs, it doesn't look like it's going to stop. So you could benefit from getting guys who look at a crowded position spot at a bigger program. And if you've got an il money and you've got still a power for program to play in and you've got a bigger opportunity there, I think kids would be foolish enough to take advantage of that because going and sitting can work out as far as development. But why would you do that when you can go and play, get better, make money, and then kind of restart your recruiting process all over again once you've shown what you can do. I mean, I would hope that you wouldn't do that if you end up at a place like Louisville, because I'm a Louisville fan. But if you did, I wouldn't be shocked because again, like that's like the players have all the control now. But anyways, this this study says that I'll read directly here says the CBS Sports study, analyzing seven years of INNSTAA transfer portal data twenty eighteen to twenty twenty three for elite high school recruits, reveals that transferring schools may reduce their NFL draft prospects.
Speaker 3: So the draft rates.
Speaker 2: Here, non transfers from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty one that were top of the twenty four to seven sports classes were drafted at fifty three point six percent compared to eleven point four percent for transfers. So among the three hundred and seven drafted the top players, only sixty one were transferred. So and again, look, that's probably data that would exist if the portal existed twenty years ago, because let's be real, a lot of times these guys who were built as five star recruits don't end up being five star recruits. And I don't say that to knock the people who are who are you know, evaluating high school players, because hey, it's it's it's it's important. Clearly there's a market for it. But I think you can know as much as anybody's ever known about football and still have a tough time determining, you know, who the best four hundred players are in America. Like, I think that's impossible, if I'm being honest with you. Now, there are certain people that you see that you just know, you can just tell, but that there's not many of those. So again, I think there's still always going to be this intrigue and excitement from fans about a guy in the portal that came from Georgia, that came from Florida, that came from Michigan or usc.
Speaker 3: And not.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't want to indicate that you shouldn't be excited. But if they have been there two years and the best thing you can say is they were at the school and they had a big time ranking coming out of high school, the reality is this, you have no clue what you're getting. You may get a guy who just at your level is better fit to have success, that it was too crowded his position, or you could get a guy who wasn't nearly as good as anybody thought he was, or maybe he got to college and didn't have the resources around him that made him work hard. I mean, you just never know. I mean, I think Louisville has in recent years landed both sides. They've landed guys who have come from a bigger program and man, they came in and balled out ja Corey Brooks last year at receiver. They met some other guys who came in that were coming from a bigger program that they just couldn't get a lot of action because it was too competitive and they weren't good and left.
Speaker 3: I can think of the young man's name.
Speaker 2: There was a kid who transfer from Georgia that was, you know, a former I think he was like a top twenty player overall, and in the end he ended up transferring. Louisll couldn't get on the field and he's already left.
Speaker 3: You just never know.
Speaker 2: Our quick break will come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine.
Speaker 2: Day or one thing to add to the conversation. We were just having a moment ago about the I guess the numbers here as far as guys who have been able to transfer once or even twice and still get to the NFL. It happens, but give a much better chance of being drafted. And I don't think it's because the NFL is looking at you as damaged goods or somebody that has baggage because you've transferred. I mean, they shouldn't do that because nowadays guys are going to transfer and look out for themselves, as they should. But there are only two players in this era, meaning the early era of the portal and nil, where players have transferred more than twice and ended up still getting drafted.
Speaker 3: One of those.
Speaker 2: Players was Tyler Stock, who of course was a big time recruit and ended up at Oregon, then at Texas Tech, and then at Louisville. And then the other one was Tyler Barron, who also ended up at Louisville. He was at Tennessee, came to Louisville, and then I think he transferred to Miami. I believe that's where he ended up last year, and he was drafted pretty early in this last draft. So he's one of those guys that came in and was here for a semester and left, so he doesn't necessarily count. I guess Chuck would be Chuck would I guess that would make Shuck the only player in the portal era that has transferred more than twice or maybe even more than once and ended up being drafted. I mean, that doesn't sound like a thing, but I trust CBS Sports as data, and again I'm not just I'm not just looking for this. This was just an article that broke down just the numbers, and they mentioned those two guys, and I guess technically Tyler Baron counts, but he you know, he didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't play here. He was just here, all right.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Let's get to some basketball news. Because of this, I'm gonna put off the whole top player thing until the five o'clock hour. But the ACC just dropped the conference schedules on us, which I guess they kind of did but kind of didn't. We have now who Louisville is going to play, and who they're going to play twice, which teams they're gonna get only at home, which teams they're going to get only away.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I kind.
Speaker 2: Of feel like this worked out really well, and as as I was hoping, and as others reported, it will in fact be Louisville and Duke being repeat opponents this year. So the way in which they're doing it, if they eliminated two conference games from the ACC schedule starting this year, you will play sixteen team or you will play sixteen games all right. Wait, wait a say, let me see he let go we go one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. You'll play fourteen games again, so seven and homes, seven and away against different teams once, and then you'll play annually one team twice. Louisville got SMU as their repeat opponent, and then every year you're gonna get a random team that you play twice to mix it up. And it makes total sense for Duke and Louisville to be gifted with one another on the schedule. And I say that because you want the best conference schedule that you can. And who knows if Louisville ends up being as good as expected or even if Duke does. But these two teams played in the conference championship last year, so I like it. Clearly Duke was gonna get Carolina twice regardless because they're always going to play twice. So I think, all things considered, with the SEC being down, the fact that you get Duke twice gives you, you know, it could mean that you I mean, having the opportunity is a good thing. You want the opportunity, but there's also a huge challenge with set opportunity, right, Like you could have like here's a scenario that could absolutely play out next year. I'm not saying it will or even that it's but it's realistic that Duke is by far the only really good team in the country next year from the ACC, and you played them twice and you lost both times because they're just that good. And then Louisville won a lot of games and they were good, but they didn't have anybody on the schedule that was really that challenging because the ACC isn't great, So that could leave you sort of in a situation you were in this past year. I mean, Clemson being your best win twice was pretty telling for your resume. Doesn't mean you're not great. It just you know, there was two ways the committee could look at your resume last year, and Louisville clearly did not get the benefit of the doubt, and I believe it's because the conference they play in, and the only real issue I have with that because there was really nothing on Louisville's resume that gives you real proof that they're a really good team, but there's also really nothing that says they're not.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty.
Speaker 2: Open to interpretation resume, if that makes sense, Like it's just however you want to look at it, whatever you want to believe, you could convince yourself. So if you end up just not being able to beat Duke and there's not a whole lot of value elsewhere that would be, that would be less than ideal. But I do believe that the ACC is going to take a step forward in basketball this year, mostly because there's no way it can be.
Speaker 3: As bad as it was a year ago.
Speaker 2: But the issue is that if teams like Virginia, teams like NC State, teams like Syracuse, even wake Forest, Miami Pitt, if they take a step forward, I mean, that's better than taking a step backwards. But are they good enough to where you're going to really get value when it comes to the metrics and of course just you know, I think people know what truly is a good win and what's not. And I took some heat last year because I was so impressed with Louisville in the month of January. I knew they weren't beating good teams. Though didn't mean I didn't think they were good. I didn't think the teams they played were very good, and clearly the committee didn't either, and it played out that way. So my point is, I think the ACC could be a lot better next year, but the expectation that it's just gonna show up for him on selection Sunday, I really don't know. What I think is gonna be a really really big opportunity early on in the ACC is to compete with the SEC in the annual ACC SEC Challenge. Because the SEC is going to take a step back, it's not going to be as dominant as it was last year, but it'll still be a really good league and should be for years to come. I mean, Kentucky, we know they're expected to be pretty damn good. Florida's getting back Alex Condon and they got Boogie Flanned so Tennessee and Rick Barnes, I mean, they're always good. And maybe Nate what's his name? Nata meant maybe he ends up being elite. You also have Calan Arkansas. I don't know how great they're gonna be, but he's always gonna have talent. How about Bruce Pearl and Auburn, They actually I think will take a step back, but either way, like that's gonna be even if the SEC is down substantially from last year, meaning as far as getting the amount of teams in the tournam let's just say they don't have near the amount of teams in play for the tournament, which again the amount of how many teams made the tournament last year from the SEC. I mean it was a record clearly for them, and I believe in college basketball. So let's say five of those teams don't make the tournament, you'd still have a good number. And if you are competitive, meaning not only were you competitive in the series where the ACC held its own, but let's say you actually went out and beat some of the good teams that you played, meaning you didn't just have a decent record because your bad teams beat their bad teams like you actually like whoever ends up getting matched up with the top six teams in the SEC and the ACC SEC Challenge. If you can pete there, it's gonna go a long way for you when you get to conference play, because when you beat up on each other in league play, you just can decide whatever you want as far as what it means, Oh, it means this league's just so good, wins are just so tough to come by, or does it mean that everybody's average? And if this team and that team are that special, they wouldn't have slipped up and lost six or seven league games. So what you do in the non conference means a lot, and it always has and should. But I know teams are different by the time you get to January February than they are when you play non conference games in November and December. But it doesn't matter. It still counts. It's still a data point that will either hurt you or help you, or I guess potentially just leave you whatever. All right, So let's see, I want to make sure I have this correct. So Louisville schedule at home this year again, I'm liking what I see. Again, Duke being a repeat opponent is exciting to me. But the home games are going to be against you know, you have Duke Wants an SMU once at home and then you played them at their place. But then the home opponents are Syracuse, Boston College, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Virginia, n C State.
Speaker 3: Georgia Tech.
Speaker 2: That means you're going to play on the road Carolina, Wake Forest, Clemson, Miami, Pittsburgh, Stanford, and col. So if we were going to look at this and hope for big opportunities at home to beat good teams, but also you know, have an attractive matchup that'll bring a decent crowd. I mean, if Louisll keeps winning, there's gonna be good crowds there. I mean, there were great crowds there towards the end of the season, and they grew every week by the way, So I think louis was gonna do their part. But to have an environment to where you feel like it's a big game, it's tough to really envision that because again, as we discussed, the SEC just or the ACC just hasn't been great recently. But I mean Syracuse that's a that's I mean, that's they're not they've not been good lately. But like Syracuse, Notre Dame, Virginia and NC State are teams that I feel like they give you something. As far as them showing up now, the likes of Stanford and Cal's that those wouldn't do it, And that's why you're going out to the West to play them this year. It would be nice to have Carolina at home because they're a team that clearly is going to bring some interest other than just Louisville fans. So I just can't wait to see you end up with in the acc SEC Challenge because there's a good chance it's gonna be somebody good because they like they pair you up pretty competitively. Right, It's not like you're gonna I mean, Louisville getting South Carolina would be odd to me, or Vandy even even though Bandy actually was pretty decent last year. So right now you're you know, this isn't today's news. Is not anything regarding your conference schedule. But in the non conference, you've got Kentucky, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Memphis, somebody in the acc SEC Challenge, which I think it was Bose that you reported that he believes it's going to be Duke. I'm sorry, he believes it's going to be Arkansas. Which if that's the case, then you go down to Fayetteville. I mean, Cal will likely give you. I mean, even if Cal and Arkansas end up being middle of the pack in the SEC because of the conference being so good, if you beat them at their place, even if they're not even a tournament team, it's probably going to qualify as at Quad one because they're going to probably be in the top seventy five just based off their schedule and then you throw Duke on there twice. So again, take away the conference non conference. I mean, maybe there ends up being some really good teams in the ACC this year, but that's seven games against teams that should give you some value. And I know Cincinnati and Memphis aren't great signature non conference opponents, but I guess the hope is that they end up being. And I forgot to include Indiana, by the way, that's another team that I think Darian Devreez is a really good coach, and that should give you another chance. So last year you were competitive in some of the games, some of them not so much, but you were able to claim for a good chunk of the year that the resume doesn't have a real blemish outside of the at the time the Georgia Tech loss. And yeah, you played some of the teams competitively, some of them beat you really bad. But what I'm getting at is I think a step next year would be, you know, beat these teams, which of course that's always the goal, and I'm sure the oolve is gonna have a roster that will put them in a position to where they can do it, but I think that had to be if it wasn't truly just a mix up and a goof on the NCAA Selection Committee's part where they just swapped Memphis in Louisville on selection Sunday and didn't fix it in time, which I say that tongue in cheek, but I also kind of believe it kind of. But I think now that more time has passed, I mean, Louisvill's resume left open the opportunity for the committee to do two different things.
Speaker 3: Could have given them a.
Speaker 2: Four or five, right, because well, they played in the ACC Championship. They went eighteen to two, and you know, they don't have any bad losses and they could give them a four, or they could give them an eight or an eight like they did and claim, well it it was a great bounce back season for Louisvill or whatever they said. I'm paraphrasing, but you know, there wasn't as much Quad one wins, so I didn't expect this. I don't know if this was a known thing that they were going to announce this, but seeing it certainly gets me excited for for basketball season, and again, n C State should be a lot better with Will Wade. I think Virginia is going to be good. But what I want, what I wonder are these teams that I think are going to be like I think you'll see a team like Virginia in C in C State Carolina, maybe even I don't know, maybe an SMU like. I think those are the kind of teams that we'll be. We'll be able to hopefully avoid losing to the bottom of the league to where you know your your fifth place team or your fourth place team's only got four or five losses. But what it's ultimately going to come down to, Okay, does the committee I view this as a one elite team league with just some others that are just you know, better than the Bombs, or do they view it as an actually strong league that's deserving of not only multiple bids, but decent seeds for the others that aren't the Dukes or maybe even the Louisvilles, and where they can really determine that outside of their metric, meaning the net is what you do in non conference play. That's why it's so important. And we've never been in this spot before as lois fans, at least that I can think of, used to play in the Big East when it was loaded the ACC until recently, and you could do whatever in the non conference. I shouldn't say whatever, but you could be You could just expect to have so many opportunities to really boost your resume night in and night out in the ACC, and they just hadn't be in the case recently. Our quick break will go back and wrap up the four o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, Another day in Paradise Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's also known I guess says paradise to maybe some of you, certainly me, hopefully hopefully Austin as well, and we'll we'll take advantage of the days that are left here. I had another morning where I well, I don't even consider it morning. If I wake up at three something, I don't think it's morning. I think it's middle of the night. But soon that'll be my reality to where I'm not getting up to use the restroom or get something to drink. I'm getting up to start the day. I've been trying to go to bed really early this week, but I can't do it.
Speaker 3: I mean it never works, never works for school because it's a mental thing, right.
Speaker 4: And then you're like, you're trying to go to bed at like nine p thirty ten, and just the thought of like the world's still going on around you while you got to go to sleep, and that just that bothers me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think for most, I'm sure there are some that are really self disciplined and really can I guess before the routine and schedule changes, you've made the adjustment already, and if so, props to you. But I think for most you end up paying the price early and then it evens itself out because you'll try to go to bed really early, just like you did back when you were young Austin to go to school because you knew you had to get up and you know, get on the.
Speaker 3: Bus and go to school. But you're used to throughout the.
Speaker 2: Summer month staying up till like, you know, five am or something, which that may have been a rarity, but I'm sure you.
Speaker 3: Did it a time or two. Right now, there's a lot of all nighters. Yeah, I mean high school Austin.
Speaker 2: Oh, dude, middle school, high school kids. I don't know if it's still a thing now. But if you're not careful as parents, sure kids will literally just live a third a third shift life. I'm not kidding, you know what I mean, Like they're up all day. I'm sorry, they're up all night, they sleep all day, and then it's just as that. That's if they don't have any responsibilities as far as like doing summer school or a job or playing sports or whatnot, then that's just I mean, that's and also I stayed up way late on summer nights whenever we had early basketball, but I it was also sixteen or seventeen where it didn't. It never never felt different. You know, I could live off a few hours sleep.
Speaker 3: And be fine.
Speaker 2: But when you I mean, I just can see this happening. I'll try to go to bed as early as possible over these next couple of weeks, and it won't be easy early, But then because I've been up so long, I'll just start naturally falling asleep a little bit earlier, and it'll it'll work itself out to an extent where it's routine. But again, I don't think they'll ever be a moment where you see the alarm going off pre four am and think, here we go. I've been because like now I can sometimes. In fact, this morning, I mean this morning, because I knew once I got up at whatever that I'm gonna you know, the walk back to the bedroom wasn't okay, Nick, go ahead and get in the shower, get that day started.
Speaker 3: Change is coming soon, brother, you better get after it.
Speaker 2: I was, okay, I'm gonna take advantage of the few days i have level where I can go lay back down. That's what I decided to do at about three point thirty this morning. But you know, overall, I there's no way.
Speaker 3: It gets it gets it gets easy.
Speaker 2: I mean, there just can't be a scenario where you ever see that time and you're thinking, okay, you know, here we here we go. I can already tell in my mind, I'm gonna be getting ready for you're gonna be getting ready in the morning, and like, oh man, i cannot wait till nine o'clock hits. I'm out of there. I'm coming home and I'm sleeping, and I probably won't. I mean I may sometimes, but I probably I probably won't. I meant to ask Cruiz this, and I guess I can uh at some point. It's not like he's leaving. He's just retiring. He's still gonna be you know. I mean, I'm still gonna have access to him if I need him. But I'm curious if if it was if it was ever like a situation where you've been up, you've been doing things, and you just decided to come here and sleep for the night. I mean, I don't even if they'd let you do that, I don't think they were before. Yeah, I mean, I I know people who've done it for you know, just because of it was it didn't make a lot of sense to drive home and sleep for two hours and come right back in. And there's plenty of hiding places in here where you could find a spot to sleep, and no, but he would notice that, You're.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: Of where I could where I could hide out. Honestly, this studio is a studio, is a cave?
Speaker 3: Is it not? And is it is used in the morning by Shannon?
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's the only studio that I feel like, Well, I was gonna say it probably gets the least traffic compared to any others, but maybe that's the exact opposite because we are near the kitchen area. But you really don't walk, you walk past it, but you kind of don't, if that makes sense, like if you're going to the bathroom or you're just walking down, like if you're coming from our area of all of where all the cubicles are, and I guess they're not really cubicles, but just our work area, the common area, if you will. You're walking past every studio really other than this one directly. So maybe this will be where I come and hang out. But hopefully I get on a routine and I because what I what I talk about all the time is being so crucial and important is something I sometimes really struggle with, and that is the you know, just not being a routine, not you know, not managed, not managing time as well as I need to, and that show that plays out every day on this show, for being honest with me, not taking breaks when I'm supposed to. But I think what's happened is that I don't get up now and like have to be anywhere other than my kids at school by eight thirty or nine o'clock. And that's pretty easy to do. So now that I gotta get up, I gotta make sure I'm out of bed by this time. And I got to get ready. Hopefully that'll kick me in gear, because the reality is this, I've had a lot of freedom in the last few years where I don't actually start my show until three, and then I can you know, I tell myself, oh, You've got plenty of time, and then I end up not taking advantage of said time. Hopefully this new change kicks me in gear to where I'm a little bit more productive. But what I was gonna say a moment ago before I had a brain fart, was that, like this morning, I woke up at like for the second time, of course, but it was like, I don't know, sevent ten, and I knew that the kids didn't have to be at school in daycare for a little while, but like I was already awake, I didn't go back to sleep. I'd slept enough that there's no way that happened at three something or four am. And that's kind of what That's what I'm gonna miss. It's just, you know, I wake up whenever, because if I tried to sleep past the time to take them where they need to be in the mornings, I probably couldn't, just because you know, I just I mean, so.
Speaker 4: What do you normally do just doom scroll and just like watching it up earlier. Yeah, or sneak into mooses room. How do you know in the two K? How do you know me so well?
Speaker 3: Because I do the same thing.
Speaker 4: I was actually doing the same thing today at three thirty four because I fiance kicked me out of bed because I was snoring.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that'll that'll happen.
Speaker 4: I feel like women are very sensitive. Every guy that I've talked to was snored in there and their woman hates it. I'm right there with you, and and I don't know. I guess it is we got two big fans going in there now to where it's not as loud.
Speaker 3: I guess, oh, there you go.
Speaker 2: But no, I mean I would get hit in my sleep, Like I wake up like is somebody breaking in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly, No, you're snoring. Shut up. I'm like, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 4: I'm supposed to do? Yeah, it's always the roll over to your side method. Yeah, that's just a fat guy thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, And she acts like I don't I think because I have no defense, because I have no response, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say. She acts as if I don't believe her that I snore to where she'll video me and show me and I'm like, I know, I snore. You got me, Like, it's not I'm not hiding it. You pull that video out on her, it's a different story.
Speaker 3: She rarely, ever, ever, ever snores. Oh that's good.
Speaker 2: But if she does, it's like when she falls asleep, like on the couch where she's like, you know, just too comfortable. Yeah, dozen off, I guess, and just kind of you know, most of the time, if I snore, it's when I'm on.
Speaker 3: My back and I don't the best spot. Oh yeah, no doubt. Now I'm tired.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it. Let's get a break. We got another hour to go before we're out of here, so stick around. It's coffee and Company five o'clock hours next on Sports Talk seven ninety