Speaker 1: What a week from tonight, October fifth, you bet your Life starring Groucho Marx will be heard at this time over most of these same CBS stations, We offer you Escape, starring Van Heflin. Escape designed to free you from the four walls of the day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: You are trapped in the dank darkness of a ruined plantation house. Somewhere in the pitch black room is a homicidal maniac armed with a knife, groping for you, trying to prevent your escape.
Speaker 1: Tonight, with Van Heflin as John Wolfog, we escape to a deserted sandpit off the coast of Georgia, where terror stalks under the Spanish As Joseph Perkinsheimer tells it in Wild Oranges.
Speaker 3: What could have appeared more innocent of danger than that bare and low lying shore of southern Georgia. What could have seemed less laden with terror than that lovely little cove, so tranquil and well sheltered, so warmly bathed in late afternoon sun. As we dropped the anchor of our catch and prepared our mooring. And yet there was something. First. It was an aroma a grove of wild orange trees in late bloom grew defiantly amid the tangled undergrowth of the shore. The scent was strong and exotic and heavy, and as I smelled it, I felt a vague uneasiness. Then as I watched the shore and holbered my sailor and furled the sails, the mirror of the cover was shattered by a movement. At first I thought it was a fish leaping and playing in the water. Came round a spit of land from an inner bay, and then Halvard was beside me. That's queer, sir.
Speaker 2: I would have bet there was nobody within miles of here. But that's someone swimming. Yes, that's a girl, I sir. She'll be surprised when she discovers us no time.
Speaker 3: And embarrassed. She swims well, doesn't she? Yes, she had been wal born in the water. Oh she's seen us, yes, yes, now, and now she's running away. That's brentwood Win, an Olympic grays eh. Yes. I don't know what she's doing here where she comes from. Perhaps there, sir, where through the trees. There's a house there. You can hardly see it. I spotted it a moment ago, So there is, but it's a ruin, it's rotting away. No one could live lived, and that since the Civil War there may be others back this, I know, but this is a deserted coast. It's marked as a swamp on the chart. I don't know, sir, huh. This is strange. It's very strange. Yes, it was strange and strangers. Still was this vague uneasiness that I felt as twilight fell. The aroma of the wild oranges was overwhelming, and suddenly, without knowing why, I slipped on my jacket and went to the side and dropped into the tender. Holbert stood by the cast off. He asked no questions, and I said nothing. What could I say? I didn't know myself why I was going. I pulled the tender upon the soft sand of the beach and walked up a dim path through the orange grove around the side of the house, where a smaller portico held off the weeds. A single doorway was framed in the pale light of the inner lamp. As I approached, I saw a shadow flit across it so swiftly, so furtively, that it was gone before I realized it had been a man, And then I saw her sitting on the portico, rocking softly in her chair.
Speaker 4: What do you want?
Speaker 3: H oh nothing? I came ashore. I ha ha, I thought no one was living here.
Speaker 4: You're from the white boat that's sailed in its sunset.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I'm returning immediately.
Speaker 4: It was like magic. Suddenly, without a sound, you were anchored in the baby.
Speaker 3: I've robbed you too. I I uh picked a couple of your oranges.
Speaker 4: You won't like them. They've run wild. We can't sell.
Speaker 3: They have a distinct flavor. I should be very glad to have some of em on the boat. All you want, well, my man will get them and pay you.
Speaker 4: Please, don't Nicholas attends to that. Won't you sit down? My father was here when you came up, but he went in strangers, disturbing.
Speaker 3: I should be getting back. I'm sorry to have disturbed you and your father.
Speaker 4: No, it's nothing.
Speaker 3: Well, good night, then good night. And that was all a fragment of commonplace conversation. But it was enough. Now. The uneasiness I felt the strangeness of this place took shape for me. I saw it in her lovely, fragile face. I heard it in her voice. There'd been a hidden tearor a terrible controlled fright that approached hysteria. But when I got back to the boat, Halvard made it even worse. Fine, anythink, sir, are there people living there? Well, there'll be water. Then maybe we can stay here for a couple of days. What do you mean this is good anchorage. I'd like to unship a propeller, and there's some scraping to do. Yes, I suppose you're right. We need a couple of days of work before we head into the open and see. Yes, oh, we'll do it here. And so we stayed. In the light of morning. The strange dread I had felt seemed foolish, and especially when I went ashore and found the girl looking young and fresh and fragile. She was fishing off a little pier in the inner bay. She had a pathetic little roden reel, and so I got our tackle from the boat and landed a big rock fish for her. And for several dinners we were carrying the fish to the house and we came on a pale, thin ghost of a man. He's sitting on the portico. He started a swift retreat, but it was too late.
Speaker 4: Father, Wait, this is my father litch feel stew Oh.
Speaker 3: How do you do sir meyly? You know my stranger's father.
Speaker 4: You know I wouldn't bring anyone to the house. It would hurt us. And see we're fetching you a splendid rock fish.
Speaker 3: Yes, just so we are alone here. The man is away, my daughter and I fish eh inceptible.
Speaker 4: If you're carried in for me. Nicholas would do it, but he's away and father isn't strong. This way we have no eyes. H mus put it in water in here right there. Thank you. You've been very nice. Now I suppose you'll go on across the world or not.
Speaker 3: Tonight we're staying here making repairs.
Speaker 4: Where do you come from?
Speaker 3: Where are you going or from Cape Cod? I'm going to South America, South America.
Speaker 4: I traveled on maps. I was born here in this house. I've never been fifty miles away.
Speaker 3: It seemed like a girl who's been everywhere, everywhere in the world. You've had the best education everything.
Speaker 4: My father has many books in there.
Speaker 3: That's all you're uh. You know your eyes are remarkable, magnetic. I uh, whether there's something else in your eyes and in your voice? What is it? Fear?
Speaker 4: Fear. Why, no, of course not. What should I be afraid of?
Speaker 3: All? I don't know, but I I saw it in your father's face too.
Speaker 5: It's only your imagination, yes, no doubt. Well good bye then, and thank you for the fishing. Strange how this girl would have upset me? So I tried to resist, but that evening I found myself going back to her, tying the tender into the little pier.
Speaker 3: I watched her as she came to meet me.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you came. Let's stay here by the seats, so lovely in the moonlight.
Speaker 3: All right, Oh, it is nice, isn't.
Speaker 4: Nicholas is back, Nicholas, he's a man. I lied to you to day about fear. I suppose I am afraid. I suppose my father's passed some of his fear on me.
Speaker 3: Why is he afraid?
Speaker 4: It's a long story going back to the First War. He was a young man then, and and he didn't go to war. It wasn't that he was a coward exactly. He just couldn't adjust to it mentally. People laughed at him and threatened him, and that's when a sort of sort of perpetual fear started. He ran away, met my mother married and they came here. None ofs has ever left this lonely place, never will. Perhaps your mother she's dead. Loneliness killed her. Perhaps it's no wonder that I sound timid and afraid.
Speaker 3: Perhaps I am, might you lonely to.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything else? But what about you? Who are you that you goes sailing about the war, a sailor for company.
Speaker 3: No, I'm nobody. My name is John Wilfulker, and you.
Speaker 4: Do nothing but sail about the world.
Speaker 3: Nothing, that's why. Oh well, let's say that I I don't like modern society. I would say that I I don't like entanglements.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, I didn't mean to apologize.
Speaker 4: I envy you your freedom. I said, you're a great deal. And watch the ships far out there on their water roads. You are enviable sailing where you like, safe and free, so free.
Speaker 3: There's something more than you've told me. There's more behind this fear in your voice. But look, perhaps I can help. No, no, please, what's that? It's Nicholas going on the conk. I got to go in.
Speaker 4: Don't come you you'll.
Speaker 3: Be going soon tomorrow, perhaps.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, goodbye.
Speaker 3: Now I knew the terror that I had only sensed was real. This girl was possessed by fear. This house held some terrible secret. What could it be? Next morning, Halford went in to fill a cask for water. He came back without the cask, and he was livid with rage. There's an idiot in matt house, sir, Next time, I'll take the pistol. You mean, where's the cast? It's broken? So how how did you?
Speaker 2: I was filling it at the system and this idiot, a huge, hulking brute, came out of the house.
Speaker 3: He told me to get away.
Speaker 2: Well, I tried to explain we had permission, but he came at me with a knife, gibbering.
Speaker 3: He put his foot on the cask and crushed it. Well, I'll see about this. He careful, sir. The man's not quite right. He's dangerous, bloody dangerous. I went ashore and around at the back door of the house. Milly wasn't inside when I knocked. A lumbering giant with pig like eyes came to the door. Are you a Nicholas? What do you want? Will I take it to the man who broke my water cask? It was full of our wall. I'm not going to argue with you. I came a short and when structure to keep your hands off of my property and my sailor and let our water be. I told you that I I I wouldn't discuss the water. I don't have to justify myself to you. Just remember, keep your hands off. Get me started? What do you mean started? I don't care what you don't get me started mine? Now, I won't. You don't get me shouted. Put down that knife, go away, don't get me started, now, go away, hand back, don't get me started for nothing. Nicholas and I had a little misunderstanding. That's all you tell this manly tell him to go, and don't get me started.
Speaker 4: Put down that knife, please, please go.
Speaker 3: I have never seen such terror in a woman's eyes. I felt completely helpless as I turned and went on back to the boat, but mingled with her terear. I had seen something else in Milly's eyes. There was a plea, and I knew there'd be another meeting between me and Nicholas. That night, a storm broke, a ranging wind and rain to match my tortured mood. I hardly slept. Milly's face was always before my eyes, and by morning, I knew that I must do something. I rode the tender and through a drizzling rain. I went up through the orange grove and stopped in some bushes by the house. Some one was coming out of house, and so I crouched down out of sight. It was Milly. I rose and I called to her, Milly.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh, it's you. I was just coming out to look. I'm afraid you'd gone. See is like a pack of wine.
Speaker 3: I won't go alone now, not without you, I went, Are you saying it's madness? No, No, I got to talk to you. There's a lot. There's a lot that needs explaining, things that I have a right to know.
Speaker 4: No, not here, come.
Speaker 3: She led me into one of the smaller ruined buildings. We crouched far back in the dripping shadows of a corner. No, Millie, for the first time in twelve years, I'm living again, Darling. I'm in love with you. I know nothing of it. It's it's quickly learned, Millie. Don't you feel anything anything for me at all?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Perhaps if things were different someplace else, I might Carevling.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to take you away someplace else. I'm going to make things different. I'm going to give you a chance.
Speaker 4: It's too late. I came too late.
Speaker 3: Why Millie, what is this? What is this fear Nicholas? Oh, that's foolish. She's nothing to be afraid of. Has he been bothering you?
Speaker 4: He says he's crazy about me. He says I must marry him.
Speaker 3: Where is he now? John?
Speaker 4: You mustn't something frightful?
Speaker 3: What happened, John, I'm frightful, just unfortunate for Nicholas.
Speaker 4: So you didn't understand he's he's not human. There's something about him.
Speaker 3: A boy.
Speaker 4: And tell me he gave me in April, we were glad to get him servants impossible to get back here in the wilderness, and he'd work for the smallest wages. Only only a few days ago I found out why he was glad to be here. I was beIN in his room and I found this.
Speaker 3: Let me see that wanted for murder, Isaac Nicholas, a homicidal mania.
Speaker 4: He knows I found it. He knows, and he's been furious. And then you came and he ran and hid in the pines. But he told me if I spoke about him, it would happened to me, and if I left with you, it would happened to father. Now he thinks I'm in love with you. He told me to send your ways, that you must leave to.
Speaker 3: Day, Elly, Milly, I should have realized I'm.
Speaker 4: Not to stay away for longer than now. I must go.
Speaker 3: Look, Millie, it'll take us a couple of hours to get our boat ready. I'm gonna come for you tonight at eight. Now you tell him that you saw me and I promised to go at quietly, say that you were upset, that you will give him his answer tomorrow. Then at eight you bring your father and walk out to the wharf. Now that's all, But do it without hesitation or preparation.
Speaker 4: Don't let him hurt it.
Speaker 3: Please, don't not now he's finished, But do just as I say. It won't be long, hardly three hours, and then you're gonna be free. Now that I knew now that there was to be action, I felt better, not that I minimize the risk. Halvard and I got the catch ready for sailing. At eight o'clock. Halvard and I tied up to the little pier. The storm had led up a little, but it was still I got up on the dock and I waited family. Ten minutes passed and then twenty. Something was wrong. I I told Halbert to wait there with a tender and then I walked slowly up to the house. There was dark. I went up to the sideport to go to the heavy door. There was a a tiny crack of light showing under it. I I pushed it open. The light came from a parlor to the right. I looked in. On the floor lay a body, her father. He was dead. He was crushed, his arm twisted grotesquely under him. There was there was no sound in the house. Slowly I through the downstairs rooms nothing. Then back in the hall, I heard a slight creak upstairs. Someone had moved. Was it Melly alive or was it Nicholas slang in wait? I groped slowly up the stairs. I didn't dare to use my flashlight would have made me a target for his knife. The upstairs hall was pitch black. Still, there was no sound. I inched my way along the wall slowly, and then I stumbled on the loose board. The pistol flew out of my hand, but the stumble saved my life. At the same instant I felt Nicholas lunch. Heard the knife sing past my ear and thudd into the wall. I called this great bolt, smashing on my shoulder. My gun was somewhere on the dark floor. His knife was embedded in the wall. Now we were grappling, hand and rolling on the floor, peeking, tearing, couching, crushing my strengthen went against the massive bulk of a maniacical killer. How many minutes did that unusual and unequal struggle last, I don't know. It seemed an hour. Several times, as if by common consent, we rested for a minute at a time. Once we rolled apart, and the panting their breast, hand aching in my throat. And then I heard him groping along the wall, searching for the knife or gun. I threw myself at him again. He was too big, he was too furious. I felt my strength ebbing away. His fingers were closing over my throat with one last every day I tried to throw him.
Speaker 6: After rolling over, I staggered to my feet.
Speaker 3: I was dazed. I looked up. We had fallen through the banister down the stairwell. Nicholas had had landed on the bottom. He lay there on the stairs, sprawled his head at uh grotesque angle. He wasn't dead, He's only stunned. I leaned against the wall, looking at him stupidly. There was it was something that I must remember. What was it? Then then she came down the steps, and I remember, really.
Speaker 4: I had to walk right past him. There was no other way, right past his head in my skirts. I think we better go away.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, yes, we'll we'll leave it once.
Speaker 4: I must tell you about my father. You know, in Virginia, the woman tied an apron on the door because he wouldn't go to war, and that preyed on his mind. He was afraid of the slightest Yes, yes I know, but we must say. He goes upset him, so he had no strength.
Speaker 3: To hear her talk like this, like a sick child. Was almost more than I could bear. Then I heard something. Nicholas had got up. He stood up and stared at us for a moment, and then he started slowly up the stairs. He was going after that knife, the least little thing upset Nelly, Milly. Look, we've got to go.
Speaker 4: I was to meet a man. We were going away someplace where it would be peaceful. But Nicholas suspected. You see, He asked why father had put on his heavy winter clothes. And then when I tried to go out, he pushed me, and do you know what father did? Then he came up and said, don't do that. Take your hands off my daughter. His lips shook a little, but he said it that's the important thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, your father was a brave man. After over, Please, now come you you were supposed to meet a man. That man's waiting for you. There's no time to lose.
Speaker 4: Father said, take your hands off my daughter. Nicholas killed him, of course, but it was a brave thing to do.
Speaker 3: Now come, I couldn't wait any longer. I could hear Nicholas coming back. I picked her up and carried her out into the night, down the path to the pier. Behind me, I could hear Nicholas crashing through the brush like a giant animal in pursuit. Are you all right, sir? Yes'm about done in that. I'm all right here. Help me help me get her into the boat, yes, sir. He oh, there's someone coming, Sis, Nicholas. He's got a knife. Good. I wanted to get back at him. You get in, Sarah'll take care of him. How about I how would be much help anyway, Albert went to intercept Nicholas on the path. I heard them meet and struggle for a moment, and then a figure came walking slowly, stooped onto the pier. I got ready to shove the boat out into the water. And then it's all right, sir, it's me hoard. Where's Nicholas? I stopped him. It was all bumped out. Are you hurt?
Speaker 2: It's just a scratch, sir. I missed his hand at first in the dark. It's nothing good. Well, let's get away from here. Then I held Milly in my arms.
Speaker 3: As Halbard wrote in the catch erradically, I suppose, because of the storm, be ready to cast off in two minutes. The last obstacle would be the narrow passage out of the cove. In this storm, it would be very dangerous. I started to take Milly into the cabin. Nicholas in the door, and none sense. Nicholas is dead. You're on my boat. You're safe, Mill safe with John Wolf and I am John Wolfer. You didn't come, Yes, I came, Ellie, you're safe, Please come? Did rather stay up here? All right? All right? You sit here beside halford. I'm going up front to take soundings, and this wens you won't be able to hear me if I came no, but you're gonna hear me. Remember, we only have three quick clearance. Now you will have to hold it steady through that passage, Yes, sir, halford. Now this is no time to be brave. How do you feel?
Speaker 2: I feel all right, sir, I've taken nifs before.
Speaker 3: All right, that's a scratch, all right, fine, No, no, we'll fix it just as soon as we get outside. Why no, let's gold pull up your anchor and turn over the engine. Yes. The boat headed into the tearing wind of the storm, straight toward the narrow inlet. A foot too far on either side and we'd hit in the sea. That would mean death for all of us. I stood far up on about taking soundings, feeling out the passage. Howling wind carried the call back to Halvard four. Now the boat veered again. I realized that he must have lost an o'ful out of blood. How there had slowly haltingly It came around three and a half. Sad enough, but it was anything but steady. The boat wavered and swung as if an inexperienced hand was at the veil, and the moment we might hit bred up Bader. We were in the passage old beady Harbor, three and a half. We're through, Goodbye, goodbye, good boy. How would I call? But when I went back, it wasn't Halbert at the wheel. It was Milly. Milly, her hands steady, her eyes washed clear of any madness, Milly with a little tight smile on her face, but no fear. And Halbard lay rolling with the swells in the bottom of the cockpit.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid, John, he was wounded, worse than you thought.
Speaker 3: Oh Howard, good Heavens.
Speaker 4: Told me to take the wheel, said it was life or death. Then he slid down. When when was this back there in the passage, just when you said three and a half. I'm afraid.
Speaker 3: I wasn't very good, but.
Speaker 4: I held on.
Speaker 3: Oh, Milly, you were wonderful.
Speaker 4: No, not yet.
Speaker 7: But I'll learn, John, I'll learn.
Speaker 1: Escape was produced and directed by Gordon T. Hughes, with Van Heflin starring as John Wolfog. Tonight we have presented Wild Oranges by Joseph Hergusheimer, adapted for radio by John Duncle featured in the cast were Betty Lugerson, Bill Conrad, Edmund MacDonald, Wilms Herbert. Special music was conceived and conducted by Del Castillio.
Speaker 2: Next week, you are following a man whom you must kill to the bleak wastes of the tiny island at the bottom of the world, and you know that one of you can never escape.
Speaker 1: Next week we escape with John Russell's grim story of revenge The Primitive Good Night. Then until next week, when once again we offer you Escape. Van Heflin is currently starring with Jennifer Jones, James Mason, and Louis Jordan in Metro Golden Mayor's Madame Bovary. Starting one week from next Saturday, October eighth, Escape will take a regular place in the CBS Saturday Night schedule. That's one week from next Saturday, October eighth.
Speaker 3: Escape.
Speaker 1: Next week, at this time you will hear CBS's latest addition to its fine Wednesday night shows, You Bet Your Life, starring Groucho Marx. This outstanding comedy quiz, highlighted by Graucho's fast ad libs, has won a Peabody Award in a high place in America's comedy Favorites. Next Wednesday, it joins the parade on CBS, where it will be heard along with The Bing Crosby Show and Burns and Allen on most of these same CBS stations. You now for the Bing Crosby Show, which follows immediately over most of these same stations. Paul Masterson speaking Listen CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System