Speaker 1: Good Monday morning, Kentucky Anda. Welcome in Kentucky Anda's morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas it is seven oh five, as we get the seven o'clock hours started, Nick Coffee, Scott Fitzgerald, you heard Joe Lincoln there, Who's filling in this morning for John Shannon. We've got John Allen and we've got the whole crew here. And obviously a lot to react to from the weekend. Hopefully everybody had a good Father's Day weekend around here, but obviously a lot of protests still going on across the country, and an awful situation took place on Friday night that continues to be a big story out in Minnesota. As by the way, maybe if you're just getting your day started, this may be news to you as this this was something that took place last night. But they did capture the suspect, Vance Bolter, who is accused of killing a Minnesota lawmaker and her husband and her husband and then leaving another badly hurt. Same thing. It was a husband wife duo, so they were able to after a couple of days, they were able to track this guy down thanks to the help of somebody who had I believe it was a trail cam that noticed some activity that was I think I don't know the exact distance, but not terribly far from where they found the suspect's car abandoned. So with some help, authorities were able to arrest this person. And of course they're facing state, both state and federal murder charges. Also there's also a charge for fleeing prosecution. So I mean, just an awful situation from top to bottom. And what I'm curious, and I shouldn't be curious because it's weird saying that I'm eager to hear is if there's going to be some kind of explanation from this person as far as what they did. But maybe there is something to learn from it. Again, clearly, if this person's willing to talk and say what led them, there won't excuse it by any means. There's no scenario where words will justify what took place. But maybe I guess there is some value in figuring out what led to the extreme measures this person took to commit such an awful, awful act of violence that again has taken two people's lives, So that of course has been a big story. But again I think what is most most recent here is that they did overnight capture this suspect and they will be facing a judge today, so we'll keep you up to date on that throughout the day here at news Radio eight forty whas also again protesting me going on across the country for a while now, at least the last week, and Louisville has had some and then of course Louisville is one of the many cities that had no King protests, rallies, whatever you want to call it. That took place over the weekend. So downtown Louisville about four thousand people were out and it started at noon concluded around four o'clock downtown Louisville, not far at all from where we're sitting right here, and it was seeing some of the coverage of it and all the pictures and videos of the protest, I mean, I could tell exactly where they were and you and it's not far off from where we're sitting right now. But I believe, regardless of what your thoughts are on the protests, and I mean regardless of what your thoughts are on the reason the people are protesting, or if you think they should be able to protest, to the ability they did on Saturday, where of course there were streets that you couldn't get through if you were trying to drive. So again, I'm only bringing it up to say, whatever your thoughts are, if in fact we see that there were no arrests made during this four hour protest that had four thousand people, isn't that a win win for everybody? I mean, like, put your thoughts aside. I mean, this would have been it wouldn't have been a surprise by any means if there were arrest made, because you typically get arrests at least one or a few that take place, because even if there are ninety eight percent of those, they're doing it peacefully knowing to not cross that line. All it takes is a couple to cross the line, and then that could be the invitation for others to do so. So again, I'm surprised, but pleasantly surprised that we didn't end up having a bunch of arrests, and maybe it being because here's the thing, had there been some type of real let me give you an example. I don't know where this was, and I suppose it's important, but I just I didn't I didn't track which city this took place in, But there were horses, law law enforcement on horses, and that's that's happening around here too. It's not that that's in a lot of places. But there was a video of of somebody walking up to a police officer and crossing the line by not not hitting, but at least putting their hands on the horse. Can't do that stupid thing that you can't do that, that's like putting your hands on law enforcement. You're asking to be arrested. So so again that ended up becoming a national story and it was in you know, it was in a I don't know which city it was. But my point is we didn't really have anything that took place that I've seen as far as a viral clip on social media that ends up on the news and when they're when they're covering all the different protests that take place across the country. We didn't get thrown into the top tier of hey, look at take a look at what happened here, Like it wasn't contentious enough to where did you see the last made news for the wrong reasons here in louisvill Which again I think that's best case scenario.
Speaker 2: What'd you see the national anthem a the Dodgers Giants Gameza, yes, saying that, saying it in Spanish as a protest.
Speaker 1: And it has been confirmed that the Dodgers did not want her to do that.
Speaker 2: Right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that Look, that's just where we are. That's the current climate with things. And again we'll keep you updated as best we can. There's been a change to what President Trump is having Ice do when it comes to immigration. We'll talk about that. On the other side, we've got another update of sports coming your way. You know, I'm going to find a way to squeeze in some more talk about my Louis of Cardinals. So it's obviously been talked about this morning, but they survived yesterday in Omaha. They're now back in action tomorrow with another game where it's winner go home, a rematch that they I'm sure they're eager to get that rematch against the Beavers.
Speaker 2: Well us a major announcement coming later this morning surrounding Low City.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Now, we got some good news up on that front too.
Speaker 1: Good stuff on a Monday, Hi, buddy, let's get an update of traffic and weather. It's seven to eleven here at news Radio eight forty whas it is seven fifteen here Kentucky in his morning news with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas, thanks for hanging out with us here this morning. I do want to remind folks once again that the second phase of the inspections taking place on the Clark Memorial Bridge start today, and it sounds as if phase two is expected to be a little bit more impactful when it comes to traffic, So just keep that in mind. If you are somebody that has a daily commute that involves the Clark Memorial Bridge, you may want to plan to give yourself a little bit of extra time, So just be mindful of that. Also, when it comes to the ice raids that are taking place across the country, clearly there's many people protesting against that and they have strong opinions on that. However, I do feel like, and who am I to say what is going under the radar and what is not. But I do feel just from my perspective, it doesn't seem as if this has gotten as much attention as I would have expected. And that is that President Trump has told ICE to pause immigration arrests at farms, hotels and restaurants, and this is reportedly because of the issues that it could cause for these industries that very much rely on migrant labor. Two officials told CBS News that this sudden shift follows complaints from growers, hotel chains, and trade groups who fear losing staff during peak summer demand. The pause does not affect ongoing raids at factories or in city streets, but it halts plans sweeps at hundreds of food service and hospitality sites all the agency reviews economic impacts. The change marks a sharp pivot for the Trump administration, which has vowed to deport millions in recently top one hundred thousand arrests this term. So this is big news, of course, and I'm not sure many would dispute that, but what I think is pretty the obvious takeaway leads from my standpoint, is you should be if you're going to do this, I mean you would think you would, You would know that consistency would be needed. What this is saying is, if you were here illegally, we really really or there's no questions to be asked, We're coming, We're snatching you up, and you're out of here unless you work in industries that heavily rely on people who may be here illegally. I mean, am I wrong? I mean, I mean again, I'm not trying to put words in anybody else's mouth, but like to me, that was the obvious. Well wait a second, because whenever you decided to really put this whole thing in motion to just start getting legal immigrants out of this country with really the I was going to use the word force, and I don't really think that that's out of line, but that wasn't the word I was looking for. But when you were going to be this aggressive it and making it such a priority to just get people out of this country that are here illegally, I mean, didn't you know at that time? How could you not know at that time that we do, in fact in this country there are certain industries that rely heavily on migrant labor.
Speaker 2: So well, that's kind of what we heard Dell Romans talk about out of Churchill Downs when they had their sort of held cord out there on the backside. Sure we and said, look, we have a lot of good folks here who do a lot for us, and to be honest, with the jobs nobody wants to do and is as big as the economic engine is here in Kentucky when it comes to horse racing. He was basically, we need these people here, and if they're honest and they're paying taxes, isn't it worth another look?
Speaker 1: Sure? And when you're when it's not your world, meaning when it's not something that you really can relate to, or it's not it's not your industry, you really just don't know. But I mean, I'm sure there are countless scenarios where if, in fact, you snapped your fingers and everybody that was in this country illegally was gone, the impact that would have Again, You'd have endless scenarios that I'd sit here and think, oh, yeah, I never would have thought of that, because you know, I don't work in that field. That's not an industry I have any familiarity with. But yeah, it makes sense that if those people aren't around that it impacts it impacts certain industries in a major way. So clearly there's I don't see this becoming an issue. I don't see this being something that is just blown over anytime soon. I could be wrong, but it does seem as if things have calmed down in Los Angeles, which which that really started last week as far as it just kind of getting you know, it wasn't it wasn't escalating. Seemingly, protests are still going to be taking place and this thing will run its course. But I don't know. I'm always in the I always ask myself when it comes to things like this, are we at a point where we expect this to maybe get a little worse before it gets better? Or are we heading in the direction where it is going to slowly but surely get better. And at this point it's tough to say, but again, that is the bit that's a big piece of news that as a Friday, I believe it was. They've they've now told ICE to no longer go in and raid certain businesses that rely heavily on migrant labor, like farms, restaurants, hotels. But again, if we're talking about factories in the streets and whatnot, you're still going to see these rates taking place. All right, we got another update of sports coming your way, but first let's check in on traffic and weather right here on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, Joe. It is seven thirty five here at news Radio eight forty Whas. Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Right as we were starting the newscast, there WKY our partners. They're on the big screen in front of me, which they are each and every morning. They were showing all the different photos videos. I think they had a chopper cam there. But the accident that took place on Friday morning, it was actually about an hour after we wrapped up the show. That is, whenever you had a scary situation that really it's miraculous that nobody was involved. It was a single single vehicle accident where the eighteen wheeler ended up somehow getting into an accident at the on ramp near the bridge, and it's on fire, big flames, and the driver was able to escape the vehicle before the fire started. And obviously the cab of the eighteen wheeler did in fact fall from the bridge, but it was empty, it wasn't carrying any hazardous materials and that's a miracle. But again, just seeing some of these things, maybe it's because we have a radar at least I do now of Okay, is that a real photo or did somebody use the power of AI, because I think we all know AI can be scary when it comes to generating photo and now even video that looks real but there's little details when you're thinking, wait a second, it looks a little cartoonish to where maybe it's maybe it's not real. But these these photos and videos were real, because that's something that really happened. And I talked about this earlier. I just want to clarify I'm not I'm not putting in taking anybody to tab saying there's any specific reason for this happening. I just think it is a wild coincidence that we here in Louisville in the last fifteen months roughly, have had three different situations where you've had an accident with a semi truck that ends up in either the cab of the truck or the entire thing, seemingly at times dangling from one of our bridges or an overpass like we saw on Friday mornings. So obviously, I don't think I don't think there's any way to tie any of these three things together to claim that there's one specific reason that these things happen. More than anything, it's just a wild coincidence. Because you could find a city that is bigger than ours that has way more traffic throughout the day, that may have more bridges with more vulnerability for these kind of things to happen. And in one hundred years it may have never happened, and yet here we've had it happen three times. It's just a wild coincidence. And those things, they fascinate me more than anything. It's because nobody got hurt on Friday. Like it's you saw the I mean that you saw the aftermath of it on the screen there, Scott. It's yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 2: Well, and it says according to the American Truckers Association, a truck driver shortage of about seventy eight thousand drivers was present in twenty and twenty two. They expect that by twenty twenty eight to rise to one hundred and sixty thousand. And I say that because immediately after the accident happened, as I'd love to do, I go to our social media pages here at the station, get the polls for what people are talking about. And there were some veteran truck drivers that were saying that they in fact think that they're pushing these truckers through these schools too fast. And I can't validate that and I'm working on a story for that for Kentucky Focus somebody.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't shock me if that was the case exactly.
Speaker 2: And they're saying, because there is such a shortage and we need our goods, and we saw that after COVID when things shut down, we had the porch shut down. We value our truck drivers and they're trying to get them out there. But are they pushing them through too fast?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 2: If you've driven parts of sixty five, we've all hit spaghetti junction and when it rained, you have to slow down.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, And what this is just my curiosity. Each driver probably a much different situation. Maybe somebody that's not from here, Maybe somebody that is from here and takes that route every day. Again, it's just it's tough to know, and it's it's really not relevant. But if anything, you just chalk it up to maybe just not understanding that you need to be going a certain speed limit when you are in that area, and if not, you'll you could you could have an accident. I mean the one that took place that became a real national story just because of the rescue that was needed when they were hanging off the second Street bridge, that Cisco truck. Again, heroic effort from the first responders and Louisville Fire Department who showed up, And I was just I was nerding out on just how calm they were and their ability to keep the person that was trapped inside calm. I mean, those are those are real life savers and for them to just never know when that's going to happen, but be ready to execute when it does happen, it was a beautiful thing to see. But when that took place, that was just a car accident that ended up in where like you're on a bridge, you've got an eighteen wheeler. When you're in an accident and vehicles are moving about, there's not a whole lot of space. You can't go off the road. You go off the road, you on a bridge, you're in water. So just a situation.
Speaker 2: You mentioned one of the solutions they might be looking at as sort of an adhesive epoxy. I guess what they were talking about, and that's something they've used in NASCAR before. They've actually put some of that note. It's almost like a version of no slip, and they put it up in the tracks and that might help. Maybe they can use that technology. I don't know. I'm not a transportation expert. I don't claim to be one on the radio, but I guarantee.
Speaker 1: You you could have told me you were one and out of believe.
Speaker 2: Changes are coming. I can guarantee.
Speaker 1: KYTC is planning safety improvements as mentioned, including an epoxy surface treatment that could help. But the cleanup on Friday took a long time because the intense fire. It welded the truck to the trailer, which complicated, you know, the recovery efforts. According to the Suburban Suburban Towing who was tasked with trying to get that thing cleaned up, Yeah it was a mess. But again, the miracle is that nobody nobody got here. Did you hear that the Bullet County came out a miracle? I gotta watch it. I gotta watch it. That's what I need to do. If I start, if I start sounding like a day the bad joke jar its. The Bullet County accs. Yeah, it was a miracle out there. We got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. And they did not try to set up a big party on the highlands this past weekend. At least it doesn't seem but they decided to take the party elsewhere those that do enjoy being out late, shutting down streets, doing whatever. But they got caught pretty quickly. We'll tell you about lmpd's efforts on Saturday to quickly shut down I guess relocation efforts right taking what was going on in the Highlands to a different spot. But again they were shut down quickly, So we'll hit on that. On the other side, it's Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas it is seven forty seven here at Kentucky and his Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas Nick call with you, and there seems to be real improvement from the It was really two straight weekends where you had some chaos on Bargstown Road and in the Highlands. Now I know it went on more than just those two weekends, but it got to a different level for two straight weeks, and obviously LMPD and Mayor Greenberg emphasized making sure that that did not become a thing that happened for a third straight weekend, and I think on Saturday of this past weekend, meaning just two days ago. As far as that area, I think it was another sign of real progress. However, and I don't know if it's the same people that were looking to do the same thing that was taking place in previous weeks on Bargetown Road in the Highlands. But there was a pop up party that took place that did not happen, didn't didn't last very long. So LMPD on Saturday evening broke up in illegal pop up parties they call it. It was in the thirteen hundred block of River Road near Big Four Bridge, with hundreds of people in at ten. It was about eleven thirty where the Louisville Metro Alcoholic Beverage Control alerted LMPD about an unlicensed event at an establishment where the crowd was again estimated at over one thousand people inside and outside. So lmpd's rapid response team was deployee, discovering in fact the crowd being larger than they expected, and they shut it down. They shut the party down and the attendees dispersed to nearby parking lots, requiring the police to form a line to get everybody cleared out of there. So a lot of coordinating, a lot of organizing to just you know, it's probably a big effort to as smooth as possible, get that thing shut down and get people out of there without any real incident. And the good thing is the crowd complied and there was no incident, no arrests were made. Four cars were towed in the Barstown Road area, though no issues were reported there or near where the previous So again you had people, I guess, trying to maybe and I shouldn't say that because I don't know, maybe it's a completely separate thing regardless if you're trying to whoever it is, wherever it is, if it's in Louisville, and you're trying to put these type of things together late at night, where you're shutting down streets and just doing things you're not supposed to be doing. I think LLMPD in recent weeks has I think done a good job of letting it be known not only with words but action, that we're not going to let it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're seeing pushback from law enforcement in a lot of areas, Nick, and especially on that, and I mean positive pushback. I'm not talking about their being aggressive. However, as we say, with the ice protests, I watched a couple press conferences over the weekend where law enforcement basically said listen, if you touch us, if you spin on us, if you do this, this, and this, you will won't take action accordingly and as they should. But did it in a tactful way, and I appreciate the good folks law enforcement doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean no arrests means that they came shut it down, and not to say everybody went smoothly, but it never got to the point where somebody had to be arrested, right And you know, when it comes to what you just mentioned as far as law enforcement letting you know, look, if you do this, like, we're going to do our job. And that is too But what I find to be I shouldn't say this, but it's amusing almost that you'll see people when it comes to these bodycm clips that end up on the internet of somebody getting arrested mostly TikTok. Honestly, you'll see somebody warned like five six times, don't do it. I'm telling you you need it, don't do it, and then and then and then they're like, what are you doing putting me in a headcuffs? It's well, you were warned like many times, So it was exactly good stuff. We got an update of traffic and weather coming up. Also another update of sports right here on news Radio eight forty whas