Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, pilates or fitness than this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates, your host, Brian Ritchie and North Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the facts, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations. I'm Brian Ritchie, join me as always the ner same John Morton, Nora.
Speaker 2: How you doing very well? Brian? I understand you just got back from China. Are you feeling okay? Getting over jet lag and all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, No, it's gonna take a little while. I don't know. I don't know if it's the fact that I'm getting older or what, but it seems to take just a little longer each time, just a little bit. And yes, of course the longer you're gone, the longer usually takes. But that whole you know, it takes a day for every hour ten years ago. No, that that didn't even dawn on me. It's like three or four days. I'm twelve hour time difference, but it took three or four days. I'm back now it's like, oh, I'm at least a week, and it seems to be prolonging even further. By the end of the day, I find myself as though the plug has been pulled out of me. I'm just sort of sitting there like, uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, good, Alan, I want traveled so much for for bounced body basically said, we don't have jel like, we just have lag, Like we're just perpetually not at our best from so much travel. At some point you just stop recovering and in just as a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I've asked a bunch of clients who travel. I have a client that does four used to do four to five hundred thousand miles a year. Yeah, basically he travels all the time. Yeah, and he just he just said, you just wherever you go, you don't even think about it. You just you go to bed, you wake up, you work, you go to bed, get on a plane, you go to the next place, you go to sleep. You just you eventually don't realize that you're a six hour time difference or four hours. It's just it's time to sleep, sleep exactly. It's almost militaristic. You just time to sleep, time to wake up, it's time to exercise. He said, that's how it has to be, and I understand, and I'm sure if I did it a lot more regularly, my body would get used to that. But man, this jet lag stuff is no fun.
Speaker 2: That's brutal. So with that in mind, I know we did an episode right before you left where we were talking about kind of complex cases and how you identify skills and then work with them and be kind of wanted you. Did you take that same idea of developing effective programming for complicated situations and talk it through from a case study perspective. I'll give you some practical examples and that kind of thing. So I think that's kind of where we were headed today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that episode really sort of struck home because you and I both talked about this. It's it's easy to get caught up in the day to day. I must fix this person who's in front of me, because they're you know, they come and broken, and you feel as though it's our job to fix what's broken and get them out of here. And honestly, you and I are both good at what we do, and a lot of times we can make them feel a lot better once they leave leave us. But it's also our job to progress them to the point where they don't need to be broken every week when they're coming to see us, when they should be getting better and making progress and heading in the right direction so they get injured less frequently and they're able to really excel at life and not just you know, pick up the pieces every single week. So I think that's an important thing that we need to remind ourselves of as fitness professionals and movement professionals, that it's still our job to get them moving better throughout life and not just picking up the peace and putting them back together again, you know, old humpty dumpty sort of thing every week, right.
Speaker 2: Not just managing the acute at the moment issue, but by continuing to look ahead at where we're headed. And it's really oftentimes I find that that's an important role that we have, which is that outsider role. And I use this analogy a lot instead of getting in the boat with them and kind of managing whatever leaky hole is in the boat that day. Like our job really and I'm just again, is to stand on the dock, or stand on the ocean, or stand on the sand and hold onto the boat so that we really can see where it can go, how we can progress them forward. Again, just take that slight step back to see the longer tradictory of things and also use that to prioritize where we want to start, where you want to go, analyzing what you've done, Is it really working all that?
Speaker 1: Yep? I think also putting the responsibility in the client's hands instead of taking on all the responsibility ourselves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, because because we can't do so much in an hour or two hours a week, like that's really what not so effective?
Speaker 1: I think? I told you I had a physical therapist who told me that said, look, there's one hundred and sixty eight hours a week you see them, how many of those all the other hours they are not with you. You cannot be responsible for every single thing that they do and for all the pain that they're in. And that struck home like nobody's business, because before that I took responsibility for every little thing that happened in now it's like, no, all right, if you're silly on your own, that's your business, right exactly. It's like if I did something silly, Okay, that's my mess up. I screwed that up. Okay, I'll take I'll take ownership of it and move on. It's the same thing. We need to make sure that they take responsibility for what they do outside of us, but also that they're taking what we teach them and are able to do it outside them the homeworn Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and make it trying to make it a habit, whatever the thing is you're trying to get them to do, trying to help them make that a habit rather than just an occasional thing they think about for the one hour there with you.
Speaker 1: Exactly. And let's face it, most of our clients, most of my clients at least would pay me if I could exercise for them, Let's face it, exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe and i'd work out instead and you get the benefit all day long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd have the lines around the block and we can promise that. Yeah, you still got to do the work, guys, if you want. Everybody wants a certain body, Everyone wants a certain image. They see something in their head that they want, whether it's to be thinner, whether it's to be more fit, whether it's be injury free, whatever it is, they have an image in their head. It's whether or not they're willing to do it. I forget who it was, but in a class once said it was about nutrition, and it said, all of your diet comes down to seven words? How bad do you want it?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: That seven words? Close enough? But it was sort of it hit me. I said, that's true, because if you don't want it badly enough, then you're really not going to make the changes you need to make to make it happen. You're really going to just sit on the and I hope that it happens. And that's what a lot of our clients do, let's face it, yep.
Speaker 2: And even in that case, our job is still if our clients keep coming to us and keep paying us, and we I would say, whether it's for their satisfaction or for our satisfaction, feel like I feel like I need to be making progress somewhere. Just you know again, I mean, you and I both know that's that's what gives us satisfaction, That's what makes us feel like we're useful and valuable. That's our self worth in a lot of ways, is we you know, we made something happen. So some of the two is understanding. Like like sometimes I've I listened to a client. I haven't said this. I listened to them, and I hear what they're saying and blah blah blah, and then I'm like, I'm I'm I'm also then looking at them and observing what's happening and assessing how they're moving or not moving, and then I'm making my plan and then I'm just executing my plan. Yeah, and sometimes I have full buying from the client and they want to know and we've got a really good communication going. Sometimes I'm just going to make them do the work. Yeah, you know, it's just okay, we're gonna go over here, we're gonna do this. We're gonna go over here, we're gonna do this. And they mean again, if they're not as involved, we know this from lots of studies. If they're not as involved mentally conceptually, it's not going to be as effective, but it will make change anyway, right, even so they can still make change anyway even if they're not fully involved. But yeah, getting that idea.
Speaker 1: Through and they've got it. They've got to execute. Yes, they've got to execute the plan. Yeah, we can have the greatest plan in the world, greatest quarterback in the world can call the most awesome play. If the players aren't going to play it's been asked of them, you're never going to score. And it's the same thing here. If your client is not prepared and willing to buy in and willing to do what's necessary and to focus and to do it properly, then it doesn't matter. So you need buy in from the client as well. Fortunately, I think that sometimes can be the easiest job that we have because we can get them to think of the big picture and have them focus back on their goals and say, here, what do you want to accomplish? What are your goals? You said you wanted this, so guess what. If you want this, then you need to do that.
Speaker 2: Right, I think really tying in the goal to our goals to their goals if you will less time. I know we talked a bit about you know, what are my goals? And my goals are often increase their posture or improve the flexibility of a handstringer, whatever more specific movement based things and their goals are I want to play golf more, or I want to be able to walk more comfortably, or my back hurts when I wake up the morning, whatever it is. And really tying those together, creating that motivation is a key part of it. And again sometimes that will motivate clients. Sometimes they're still going to want to not do the job. But over time, even with my most recalcitrant triumph clients, if that's my turn there, over time, I still find that I can make a difference. Even if they're not as bought in as I would like them too and not really doing the homework that i'd like them to be doing, I still can get some progress, just a whole lot slower and a whole lot less effective.
Speaker 1: You are the first person to bring this concept up with me, and I think when it comes to goals, this is something that I was thinking about after we talked last. Was the whole global to local viewpoint. You look globally, then you look locally. I find that their goals are the global goals and they're more generalized. It's sort of like you said, I want to play golf, I want to get up off the floor, I want to be able to get down and play with my grandkids. I want to be able to get up out of bed without Oh, sounded like an eighty year old man every time.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And our goals are the local ones, because we see those big pictures and we say, Okay, in order to accomplish that, we need to focus on meat, strength, you know, thorastic extension and rotation. We can break things down into that sense, but we break it down seeing, Okay, you want this, here's what it's going to take. And we have our sort of checklist that make that happen. What's also on that checklist though, or what we're seeing because sometimes even to get to there, it's like we need to build a big foundation before we even try and do any of that.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, So, so I'm thinking about that we start with that assessment of what are their goals or are their global goals? I like that you broke that down that way, and then we look kind of locally. Is it a posture issue, is it a strength issue, is it a mobility issue? Is it a coordination issue? Like what's the what are the issues that we're seeing? Is it a gate problem? Like what are we seeing? And then you know, our clinical reasoning says, how do I address that peece? And one example, and I'm just trying to think of there's one example that I had for a client who had low back problems, low back issues, lebec pain, particularly kind of as securarly a joint area, so more like in that area. And she also had a seriatic arthritis, which is a you know, kind of an autoimmune condition. You know, you think of psirisis as being a patch on the skin. Well, this also is also can have an internal component kind of like rheumatoid arthritis, but just a little different aspect. And so her she was she was naturally somewhat inflamed or inflamable.
Speaker 1: In her joints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it seemed to have kind of settled in this low back area. And with her it was it was this is this is This is a simple version, guys, in terms of a case study. So I was watching her posture and she was very posterely tilted, very slung back, kind of a little bit of a knee hyper extension and really tucked under her back when she stood was really flat, and she just kind of hung out on the ligaments there. And one of the things I always look at when I'm thinking about the low back is where is the force coming in, and how is the force coming in? And if I can change that, sometimes I can decrease pain just by changing how the structures are getting force put through them. In her case, say yeah, I mean you know, just that those joints are a little funny anyway, and the spine too, And if I just change where the force is, it might just take the pressure off the ears that are sore because they're getting too much pressure, right, just just bearing that, and so on her case, I said, okay, so what I want you to think about is I want you to just stick your butt out. Basically, I want you to be a little bit more extended in your lumbar spine. I want you to think about Angela tilty. The pelvis are kind of simple because as soon as she did that, even when we were standing, because if she stood for more than about five minutes, she really could feel the discomfort. I said, okay, well, let's have you stand in a different posture. And she's like, oh, that doesn't hurt. And that was one of those really no, a B this hurts. This doesn't if I just stand differently. And you know, she used to be able to tolerate standing for like literally five to ten minutes. Then she'd really been in pain and that would go up. And then so she came in two days later and said, oh, you know, I had a party last night. I had to stand for like forty five minutes, and I was actually pretty good. So it's a little bit sore by the end. So that was again, that's a simple version. Okay, it's not always that. We're not always that lucky, but that was one of those ones where this posture is not serving you. Let's try this one. This one seems to be less painful. Let's work on that. And then she applied.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I gotta say oftentimes, though, when it comes to a lot of our clients, sometimes finding that is the key to unlocking a lot of other things. Because I have a client that was very similar. He had he has the noosis in his low back, he has you know, had si joint problems, YadA yah, and he didn't want to work hard. So his pt was like, you gotta kick his butt, you got to work him super hard, you got to do this, you got to do that. So he fought me a lot at the beginning, and once I went over his trust, it took a little bit of time. What I noticed was every time something bothered him, it was because his feet were too close together and he was arching his back. He'd stand up, he'd put his hands behind his back, and he'd arch his back. And I watched him do that like three times. If someone does it once, okay, they're just trying to stand up, fine. But I watched him do it, and I told him, I said, we've just been working the last hour on getting you a little bit more posterity tilted to open up those facet joints, get a little bit of less compression on the nerves. And every time you arch your back like that, guess what happens. You're undoing everything that we just did. And it struck me. He said, Oh, said, so that's your homework this week. I said, everything else is what we've done that I told you for homework. Forget it. Just every time you stand up, don't do that. I mean, I got in his face a little bit about it, because yeah, he did in front of me. And I have these very very soft foam balls, and there are times when I catch a client doing something I'll like toss it at their feet or something, or at their knees, just weigh, just a reminder, and they'll go sorry. You know, negative reinforcement does work. And I'm not going to do the whole you know, squirting water in their face like a dog. No, I'm not going that route. But you know, just something that's that's a physical reminder, and it does sometimes work. Because the next time he came in, he said, it's been a lot better this week. I said, you stopped doing I caught myself a few times I said good. And each time he says he's doing it less, he's doing it less. Those habits, those perpetual habits, can be so challenging to break on some people, but they can be undermining and erasing all the good, hard work that we're doing. So your client standing there, you know, with their back in the wrong position for such a long period of time, was obviously causing her issues. Same with my guy, And so times, those simple things make a huge world of difference.
Speaker 2: And honestly, like I wanted to start simple because sometimes if you can identify it and if they can make the changes, sometimes it is that simple. And I think of a couple of other clients where it wasn't posture related, it was ergonomic related. Right. I've got clients who sit a lot, and one of them was like, your client was very very stanotic, right, And and they, for some reason, which is unusual, kind of like to sit on a hard chair at the front corner, which is weird, right, and kind of like I think I think they'd been taught to sit that way as a child, so they would actually kind of, yeah, they're almost sitting in extension, yep, which is weird. Most people sit inflection, right, that's kind of more normal. But this guy was just odd because I would see him sit, and he would sit and he would just always be very upright, and I could see his pelpos was even a little and tearly tilted, and that's where he would kind of live. And I the same discussion, I said, you know, you might want to think about finding a chair that is a little more like a little lower in the front or lower in the back, right, could you can off an adjust your seat that way and actually sit back a bit? And in his case, which is totally not the advice I give to most people, but in his case, he needed to flex just a little more in his because he was a slouch lawyer. He needed to slouch, which is weird, but because he was a lawyer and he spent a whole lot of time at his desk, and he'd been taught for years to sit up like that. But that was in his case causing some compression there. So it's the same idea, but it was just changing the ergonomics instead of the posture.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I was literally just in China. I was teaching my two day low back course and one of the first slides I show is posture in a seated position. Say, look, if you're sitting, if you're standing, and let's call that one hundred percent load on your spine. As soon as you sit, if you're sitting at ninety degrees, it's a hundred and forty percent. You lean forward a little bit, it goes up to one hundred and ninety percent. But guess what if you lean back five degrees just or five to ten degrees, not much, it reduces it to like one hundred and ten percent. If you go back fifteen degrees, it's one hundred and five percent. So I said, so those clients who have those issues that are really compressing too much on their spine. Guess what, Having them recline, even just a little bit can sometimes take the pressure off. And you and I both know what do they do In China they have these ramrod straight chairs. Everybody sits on the front edge of the chair and sits up perfectly straight, which I admire.
Speaker 2: It generally is a good idea, like really, that's sly a good.
Speaker 1: Idea, not away, But for some people it's maybe not. And you can just see them go oh and that it wasn't dawning on them that you know what, just a little recline can take pressure off because it's just taking gravity off your spine. So making those small changes like you did with this person can make a huge world difference. I found with automobiles getting them in the right absolutely, you know, those kind of ergonomics can make a world of difference. And again we're starting easy here because sometimes it is just looking. Yeah, I mean you taught me this a long time ago. Find the first queue that makes the biggest difference.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and then work on it. Then work it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go next exactly. And I think if you can do that in just in general by finding that one thing that makes the biggest difference, and say okay, we're going to start here and you're going to work on it this week, but I want exercises. You're going to work on this this week. And then they say, oh, okay, this is good, this is this makes me feel better. All right, now we can start working on other stuff.
Speaker 2: I think too, about another client who I was not particularly successful with, who had a lot of low back issue, and I think he's the story before, but he was a classic. He had very very little hamstring range of motion, like if he leaned over, he really if he hit a flat back, his hands would touch his knees like that's how much hamstring did. And if he rounded his back and got as much as he could through his back and his hamstring, he still only came to maybe midshin maybe wow, so super super tight in the hamstrings. And because of that, when he sat, anytime he sat, he was fully flexed. I mean he was really really tucked under because the hamstrings. It was, legs were straight in front of him. And he was a client. He said, well what do you do? And he said, well, I have a sports car and I drive to Los Angeles every weekend. I'm assuming you he had a girlfriend or a friend or something down there. Now Bay Area in this case to Los Angeles is a good six hour drive.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah right.
Speaker 2: And he was doing this like Friday and Sunday. So he was doing this like sports car in a sports car. And I said, well, let me go down and see your car, just because I was curious to actually take this into real life. And I went down and he had either had a did you have a Porsche? I think he had a portional like a Porson at eleven where the seat, the bottom of the seat was maybe a foot off of the floor, maybe less. So when he was sitting in it and at his feet on the pedals, his legs were pretty much straight, and his back was completely pushed into the mat, right into the back of the seat, and he was completely flexed the whole time, for six hours or twelve hours really every weekend. And I'm like, okay, I see, so this is the problem because his back would hurt a whole lot on Monday. It was better by Thursday, but then he'd go back and back on Monday again. And you know, I had the conversation with him, Well, I said, you can either loosen your hamstrings up and do some hamstring stretches every day and see if we can get any more mobility that way, or you can change your car and maybe not drive to LA every weekend. Well, he wasn't going to change his car or that, and he really didn't like the hamstring stretches, so he was one that he left pretty quickly. And I'm like, well, clearly you're not my You were not my client because you rarely weren't willing to make any of the changes you need to make to get out of the pain you're in. But you know that was an example.
Speaker 1: Norah, don't you understand that's your job. He shouldn't have to be focusing on any of this, that you're the I hate to say it. I get that from clients every now and then when they say, but that's what you're supposed to do. I say, no, no, no, no, no no no. I live in this body, responsible for everything this body does. You're responsible for your body. You are, absolutely and you give me one to two maybe three hours per week, Okay, I'll take that, But the rest of it is you and you got to work with what you got.
Speaker 2: One of the things that this is an image that I have, which I'm sure I've used before, but it just always cracks me up for a long time. Like you, like many of us, I would feel like I was responsible for my client's bodies. I was the one who was trying to do everything, and at one point somebody said, you got to let that go, Like you just said, you just got it. It's their responsibility. And so I would have this image of at two images won the Wicked Witch of the West, Right, she goes away and she's got Toto's basket on her bicycle, and then you know, Toto jumps out in that moment. But I would basically I would picture a little basket of all the problems that they have, whatever it was, and I would when they walked out the door, I would picture them carrying their own basket, like here, this basket is yours. Take it away, because otherwise otherwise I'd have the basket and I would be worried about what was in that basket for you know, until I saw them again. That isn't really helpful. It was.
Speaker 1: It can be challenging. I think sometimes I have a client who love her a piece. She's awesome, and she is very determined to solve some physical issues. It's very determined, but it's difficult to have me let go when she walks out because she texts me multiple times a week. She'll find something new, she'll try something, she'll do that, and so it's like she's constantly needing that either validation or checking in and wants to give up some of that responsibility. And a lot of times, you know, I'll help out, and sometimes I just have to say this is the weekend. I'h answer you on Monday, because you know, there's not a whole lot I can do without a body in front of me, you know, right.
Speaker 2: It's also there can also come a point where they're just too focused on it in a way. Now clients to every single little thing they want to report to you, and they've got, you know, all their data and their awarenesses and the other which is which in many ways is great, Like don't get me wrong, that is often a really lovely client to have, but there's some times when it's like you are over were thinking this. You need to just walk or do the thing, or just let it go a bit, because if you keep going what's wrong, what's wrong, what's wrong, you're looking for what's wrong always. If that's if that's the voice in your head that says, oh, what, you know, what problem am I having today? What isn't working today? You're going to find what isn't working that day? Yep, and you're going to focus on that, and you focus on that, and that, you know, what we pay attention to grows. That's that's kind of that simple. It's true in the body as well.
Speaker 1: And with this client, what I discovered was the first quite a while, it was the constant band aid every week, focus on what was going on? What was going on? And I can't tell you I had the number of times she's come in saying, you know, I'm feeling pretty good, please don't screw it up, right. I might go okay, thanks, and she goes, you know, I'm just teasing. I said, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: No, you're not really choosing. There's there's some truth in that, or you wouldn't say it as often as you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a lot of things for me when I'm focusing on this is Yes, part of my job is to help you get better, to get stronger, and to hopefully get you into less pain, hopefully no pain. If that's even possible. Sometimes it's not, but it's also to get you to your goals, So pain can't be the only goal or else they're always going to be focused on it, always going to be chasing it. And I think what's necessary is to establish a bigger picture. You want to get stronger, okay, which means we're going to have to go beyond a one pound weight. We're going to have to go beyond doing this. I know your neck, I know you're this, I know you're that, but we still need to and you know, I would say, go get your backpack. Oh I feel how heavy that is? Okay, this is a two pound weight. It's not that much different. And sometimes it's just okay, we just need to focus on movement, just you know, let's dance, let's do something, just to get the broady moving. But reminding them each time of what the big picture is, I think is so necessary because that's going to influence my programming. But if it's always band aid, band aid, band aid, it could become very challenging because all they're focusing on is what's wrong and the pain, and not the good stories, which occasionally I hear from these clients. It's oh I was able to do this and this and this around the house and man, I didn't hurt the next day. Yes, you're getting stronger, and at those moments I try and reinforce it. That's all the stuff we've been doing. See, that's been helping.
Speaker 2: And one of the one of the key features, if you will, of modern pain science is exactly that is not keeping the focus on the pain. And you know, I talked to my friend Lindy Ryer, who I've done a lot of work with this on a lot of it is how how you frame the really relationship and how you frame the question yes and this. There's a fine line here, So I'm going to see if I can pull out this fine line. So some of it is rather than how much is your back hurting today? Right, which which means somebody is going huh. I mean maybe the back wasn't hurting right, but if they think about it like oh yeah, no it's not that comfortable, but they might not even have been noticing it. It may have been a one or two or you know, what's the number on your knee pain today? It's like how are you today? You know? And even beyond that, what's going well? Like are you able to I heard you had your grandkids this weekend. How did that go? Oh? You know, I was able to do more and more, or or you're just on vacation, you know, how did you go walking around Italy? And like, hey, you know it's actually pretty good. So some of it. Two is just trying. And this is a queueing thing. This is a relationship talking queuing thing to steer them towards what's working when you can and it's this doesn't mean you ignore the problems, because you can also just everything's fine, everything's fine. It's really not fine. But this is really like, how do I just get them focusing on the things that are working, the things that are improving, so they have that sense of progress and they're not mired in everything hurts. It's tricky because some personalities just don't go there. They're just they just don't. But those that do, or you can start to steer them in that way, it's really helpful.
Speaker 1: I think people with chronic pain issues in general are very challenging just because that's been their life and that's all that they have felt for X amount of years, months, whatever, and when that's all that they've focused on and eighty percent of their life, if not more, has been focused on trying to figure this out. And I'm guilty of that with my own body because I've had I've had a number of health issues and sometimes I feel like I'm chasing down rabbit holes and I got to stop doing that sometimes and just say stop it, because you can go down the wrong rabbit hole and they can make things a lot worse. But if all you're doing is focusing on something, it's like underlining it, highlighting it, making it this giant neon sign that's over your head, constantly going look at me, look at me, look at me. It becomes that elephant in the room. And it's not only the elephant, but he's wearing a pink mumu and he's, you know, dancing a jig. I mean, it's your constant attention is you know, being drawn to it. I find with those clients sometimes you just got to figure out what they can do. Even if it's Okay, we're going to focus on doing something simple today. You're going to do a squat. Oh you're doing that great. Okay, how about stepping to the side. We'll do a stepout squat. Oh, check that out. You're doing great, you know, something small and easy and then working our way into it. You know, I'm not talking even weighted. I'm just talking let's just get your but closer to the ground and stand up again. That's all I'm looking for. But sometimes having that positive reinforcement can help.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and creating success. So yes, right, creating success for them whatever that means. And sometimes it's you know, they've got a neck problem, so I do footwork, or they've got a shoulder, or they've got a knee problem, so we do a lot of upper body work, a lot of ways of getting the body moving that don't necessarily address the issue. And I'm going to say was we talked about some simple situations where either there was just a postul or an ergonomic solution that made a difference. What I find is harder is somebody like the guy I mentioned, the guy who was back pain with the tight hamstrings. That problem is going to be a lot harder to solve. Yeah, right, So if I one thing I say often is if the client can make the correction, for example, could sit correctly in his car, that's much easier. Then you just have to build endurance in that situation. If the client doesn't have the strength or the mobility to attain the better movement pattern or the better posture, that's what takes time and patience, and that's really where where you kind of got to commit to whatever that is, whether it's mobility work or whether it's strength work. And that's what I find. I've got to start at whatever level they can succeed at and then work it up.
Speaker 1: And that's a challenge for a lot of people because we all want the aspirin to get rid of the headache. We all want something that's going to be quick and easy. And you know my history. When you first met me, I was in utter agony because of Sherman cayphosis. It was literally every moment of every day. I was in pain and like a knife in my back. So I was constantly searching, constantly striving to and it wasn't until I just said, Okay, I'm going to program this like I would for a client, and I'm just going to do what's on the paper. I'm just going to do those exercises and understand that it might take me six months, might take me a year, may take me five years. I don't care. I've got nothing better to do. I'm here anyway, I may as well make the best of this. And it wasn't until I saw doctor who had done X rays on me years before, a couple of years before, after doing this for a long period of time and realizing, yeah, my back is hurting a little bit less, he took a look at me and said, man, your posture has improved unbelievably. What have you been doing. We live in our bodies day to day. We see ourselves in the mirror. We don't see the small changes that other people might see. But for me, it was only about how I felt. But when he said that, I said, oh, maybe that's why I'm feeling better. Okay, I am making these small these small exercises are getting better, even though I don't feel like it all the time, they were making progress, and it took time. That was probably eighteen months, two years. But that constant working at it and just saying okay, I'm going to do it anyway, but not focusing and over focusing on it really can help a lot.
Speaker 2: So, surprit, how many exercises were you committing to to make that change?
Speaker 1: Three to four? I was going to say three to four, right, it wasn't It wasn't much. It was a little bit of thoracic extension, little retraction, thorascic rotation, and a little bit of lumbar flexion. That's really what it was, and that's all I was focusing on for that portion. I was doing other things obviously, but for that portion, but that was almost three times a week, four times a week, I would do cardio. I would hop off, I would do this, and I would focus on this, and sometimes I would say, oh, let me try this, see if I can get a little better by adding this or changing slightly that, And sometimes successful, sometimes unsuccessful. But normally I'd wait a long enough and thinking I think I can do it, and you try a little bit more. But again, it wasn't an hour long. I do have a couple of clients that they're so focused on getting out of pain that they do an hour, hour and a half of exercises every day because it's from this physical therapist gave me these three pages, and this physical therapist gave me these two and you wanted me to do these in this and I'm like, let's let's condense, let's do a little less, because that's a lot of stuff for your body. But it's working. But it's working. Said, Okay, sometimes you can't convince them, but sometimes just doing a little bit, but doing it consistently can really create a great amount of change.
Speaker 2: In the end, you have clients. I've only had two clients like that that do everything they've ever been told to.
Speaker 1: Do on the paper I've got you.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got some. I'm sure you've got some seriously, like OCD lawyer times.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, now you got a little bit of that, because you know, typically that's kind of why I asked you how many exercises did it really take to make that difference?
Speaker 2: Because you could probably do those exercises in ten to fifteen minutes presu right, maybe in like seven minutes. And so for me, a lot of times it's okay, what are the I kind of stick to three, maybe four, three things that I would like them to do every day or three times a week. And if I say every day.
Speaker 1: I'll probably three times a week, say every day.
Speaker 2: It also means that at least every day they're thinking they should be doing it, which reminds them to do it if they haven't done it today, right, And a lot of times it's really honing down on those three things and whether it's stretching their hamstrings or doing squats or going for a walk like whatever it is, whatever it is we're going to focus on. And I really do find limiting the things they have to do. And for me, program designed too, Like I know in every program I have to do these things. It maybe and minutes of their program, but this is like the meat of the issue, got just every single time and connitut for myself as a programming person as well, I'm not going to get bored like I will get bored. I'm too bad. Not my problem. Keep doing it right. So finding those few things.
Speaker 1: And that's I think that is one thing that as fitness professionals, as movement professionals, we have a tendency to get bored with certain exercises. I have to remind myself that it's only because we're doing so much. We're constantly involved in this and we're constantly thinking about this. Our clients aren't. Now, if you give them three things and you say, okay, I'm gonna give you three exercises, you do these religiously, You do these every day, you do these five times a week, whatever it is, you're gonna get better. It's gonna take six weeks, it's going to take eight weeks, it's going to take a period of time. I'm not giving you a number. It's gonna take some time. But if you commit to these and only these, you're gonna start getting better, and then we'll give you different ones and get you stronger and progress from there. It makes a huge difference. I find what's missing, and tell me if you find this too. I find what's missing in a lot of people's programming like this, and I think it comes from the world of physical therapy. Because they stop seeing their physical therapists, they no longer get additional exercises and progressions that they forget that it's time to get stronger. They can forget about certain exercises and move on to more challenge ones. And I think that's part of our job, is to take all of their exercises. Sometimes I've literally had client walk in with a binder of all of their exercises and I say, how many of these are you doing? Most of them? I said, there's got to be fifteen exercise, there's maybe more. How can you do this? It takes me an hour and a half every day you were spending it. And again, we have a lot of OCD people around here, So I said, it's taking you an hour and a half, why don't we whittle that down to thirty minutes? And you could see the look at I don't know if I can do that. I said, let's see. Well, these four exercises are doing the exact same thing. So okay, let's trim this and pick the best one. You know, this last one that's the most progressive one, let's do that, or I'm going to give you one that's even better for you for that. So a lot of times it's taking those fifty getting it down to seven or eight and saying but every single day, commit to me, Now do it every single day, And you'd be surprised at how they feel because they're like, yeah, I'm making the same amount of progress, but I'm no longer spending an hour and a half. I say, good, Now we can do other things. Now you can go do cardio, you can go for a walk, you can add other things. You've been wanting to learn a sport, you've been wanting to do that, Hey, why not try that now that you've got the time on your hands, go do that, you know, go for a height, go do something. And I think that that can make a huge difference for us by really narrowing it down, what's the very essence that they need.
Speaker 2: So there's that's that's key. And I think for us as movement professionals working with complicated people, if we can find those key exercise those key principles, right, those key skills you're trying to get them to develop thorastic mobility or hamstring flank, whatever it is. Trying to get those key skills and then make a program to develop those key skills makes all the difference. One thing I want to add to that, because I know you do it and and I certainly do it in the Plott's world is there's also a real benefit for a client, especially if I'm thinking about a lot of my upper body clients. I can't spend an hour on their upper body. That's going to torture them, right, They're mostly probably going to do too much, honestly, So I also think about I want to do the key things they have to do. But I also know that, especially in the Plot's environment, I can get a whole lot of things working and coordinating together while leaving that irritated body part kind to the side. So maybe that I focus on that for five or ten minutes, and then we do some other things and leave that beat, and then maybe we focus on it again five or ten minutes an exercise or two, and they will leave it be. So some of it, too, is in terms of programming, and I know you do this as well, like focus on the thing and then give it a rest and let it kind of sink into the background and give them something successful. Yes, right, so it's an operbody thing. I'll let go of the neck and shoulders and stop telling them about scalpulu mobility, and we'll do squats or footwork or feet and straps or something that really doesn't involve the upper body, and then we'll come back to another little upper body thing and then we'll take a break. And I think that also is a really nice way to give them a feeling of moving and a feeling of success. And many clients in chronic pain are well, many of the ones I've worked with anywhere are seriously deconditioned. They're just they just don't have the strength to support their bodies anymore because they've been in pain for a long time. They've often been on bed rest or not moving or whatever, yep. And so they just need to get just plain simple stronger. They just need to get their body moving and get some things going. And so finding that too and working on getting the strength and the rest of their body will often support the area that's irritated.
Speaker 1: Yep. I find that I call it overlap. You if something hurts like their low back, well, guess what if I can make their shoulders stronger. If I can have them do something that's going to make their upper body just a little stronger, They're still working their core because I choose positions where their core is going to be active a little bit, but their focus may not be on it. And that's a light enough weight that we're really not straining anything. And then maybe I'll do some lower body and all of this. And I've literally had clients say, but we're not focusing on this, So, yeah, but are you getting stronger? Yeah, it's a painless. Yeah, I said, there's an overlap. You're actually getting stronger in your core because we're challenging your core in various positions, or if it's their knee or something, I'll work their ankle, I'll work their hip, I'll work their little back, I'll work everything else, and they're like, wow, we didn't do a whole lot for it. I'll do a little bit, granted, but we didn't do a whole lot. But wow, that it's feeling a little better. So yeah, science has actually proven that sometimes you can beat a dead horse and just keep beating it, beating it, beating it, and you're not going to accomplish much except for fatiguing it to the point where it's just never going to get stronger, or you can get it a little. But the area above below to the side, almost like a ven diagram that if you have enough of them, guess what, that center that you're focusing on is still going to get hit a lot. It's just in a abstract in direct.
Speaker 2: All the time. And certainly when you look at fascia theory and all that kind of thing. I mean, they talk about how when you're training a muscle, imagining that you could actually train a muscle, which you can't do that a whole lot of that work is happening in the areas around it. You've got stabilizers happening, You've got other muscles like that are keeping things still while that's moving. We've got the the opposite of that muscle doing its thing, right, the antagonist of that muscle doing whatever it's doing. And so it's actually pretty hard to work in area in isolation, very hard, and very often, like especially with the core and low back issues. You know, find a safe way to work the upper body, to work the lower body, to work the feet, to work the hips, to work the knees, and the back gets affected, the core gets affected without having to move the spine and create pain.
Speaker 1: Exactly one, yeah, exactly, yeah. And I find the more complicated cases sometimes require that, whereas it's not necessarily the case that you only need to focus on the knee. Okay, yes, fine, but guess what by focusing on everything else, it can really make a huge difference. And the more complicated the cases, sometimes it's just getting them to move, sometimes just getting them a little stronger and getting them to take their focus off of those issues to make a huge difference. And that sometimes is part of my programming is just okay, let's program around it. What can I find to do that's not going to bother it, but that's going to make other things stronger because guess what they just need overall strength. Sometimes I think.
Speaker 2: That particularly with well back and nick are two of the things that I find when when the little back is really painful, to the neck is painful, it's very hard for people to think beyond that. Yep right, it's like that there. The neck particularly just takes up the entire brain a lot of times, and it's just really hard to feel like anything's ever going to feel good. It just hurts like heck, and and everything else is blocked out. So you know, on footwork, pad up their neck, pat up their shoulders, make sure there's no pressure on there, do some footwork and some blood supply going, get some some areas moving, and get some circulation happening. Like I've had many clients where I don't touch their neck at all for three or four weeks.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Lower body, we might do some armwork, but the armwork might be like literally lying on their back, holding on to a one or two pound weight with their upper arms supported and just doing a simple little bicep curl yep, right, and just trying to keep the neck soft as they do that. Like that might be all the upper body work we do or some variation on a theme, and that alone, it's like, Okay, everything else gets a little stronger, circulation happens, and that pain starts to just disperse a little bit.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I reminded of those, yeah, of a client that I had with severe, severe, severe neck issues, one of the worst, and she was one of my early clients. And what I realized was the more focus I put on it, the worst things got. Absolutely What I did is I said, okay, well how about we do something like this? So I would take I would literally take around. This was when I was working at a gym. I would take it bench that had an adjustable incline, and I would take it over to the cable machine, over to the dumbells. I would literally drag it all over the gym and everywhere she sat she had to lean back at an angle with the pad and I'd have her do rows, I'd have her do curl, I have her do press, I'd have her do everything. But her head was supported. But as she got stronger, everywhere else that area started to get stronger. Because her head was relaxed, I could say just keep it soft, or I'd remind her, you know, don't try and lift your head. Just keep it pushed back by a half half an ounce, yes, slightly, just make a slight indentation into the towel or whatever I had behind her head. And she say, wow, that really makes a difference in over a six weeks, six month period whatever it was. So she wasn't complaining about her neck as much anymore. And then we got away from the bench and started doing some things in more of a free standing position. She said, wow, this is this feels all right. I don't have that kind of discomfort and pain anymore. It's like, all right, we're making some progress. It was literally finding what I could do yep, to not piss at all and make everything else stronger around it. And it did work. It worked really well.
Speaker 2: I have to say I felt like a whole lot of my time in my practice and St. Francis was, well, what can I move? Yes, just what can I move? I can't do that. I can't do that, like my checklists we go, can't do that, I can't do that. I can't Oh, I can do that. So I would do that and it might be like I mean literally, I think I remember one time having somebody in footwork, just work in their ankles, just like pointing and flexing because their knees were hurting their hips or hurt their backwards are like a bunch of things. We're funky in that one. So we're just gonna do some footwork. We just do some ankle work, and then then we did I think we did some armwork and something else. But it's like that moment of what can I do? Not always what can't I do? But what can I do? And when you've got a complex client who's got a hip, then what can you do? Maybe you can do some core, maybe you can do some armwork, maybe you can do some footwork, like go, whatever you can do, try to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's something to always keep in mind is normally they can do something.
Speaker 2: Normally Yep, you can usually find something.
Speaker 1: You just got to be cre does everything hurt. So yeah, you find that one thing they can do and then expand on that, expand on that and slowly figure things out and believe it or not. What I find is once they can trust that, oh I can do that, and the pain isn't there, sometimes you can say, well how about trying this, Oh that's exactly too. How about trying this, and those small different those small things can actually help them to relax, get them focusing on something else and calm some areas down. So a little distraction that does work. Sometimes often the.
Speaker 2: Distraction in a little sometimes called sneakiness. So I've got clients who, particularly little back clients who don't want to move their back at all in a lot of rotation, inflection and anything anything. They just don't want to move it. And so for example, I'll do like all fours tailway, and you know, it's like you're on all fours. You keep both needs on the map and you lift one foot up and then you rotate it one direction the other. You look at it, so you're getting into latter reflection, but they don't know they're getting into lateral.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so sometimes I'll have to find something in a weird environment that sneaks some movement in that I know they need, that they're scared of.
Speaker 1: So that's the other thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dear, Well, have we covered a few things here?
Speaker 1: I think we have. I think we have. I think we we let people see a little bit into our brains a little bit. With some past clients and some case studies and I think hopefully giving you some ideas on how to work with some of these clients and to help them in ways that you may not have thought of before and be like, oh yeah, sometimes we should try this instead, and sometimes it can be a huge help. So hopefully we did. Hopefully we pointed people a little bit in the right direction. Do us a favor. Hit that like and subscribe button. We really appreciate it. You can always reach out to us at Movingcombos at gmail dot com. Moving Combos over on Instagram. We are posting things all the time. Check us out there. We would really appreciate any last words of wisdom.
Speaker 2: You know, guys, just pay attention, pay attention, identify the goals, identify the skills, and then just start where it's appropriate and build them up.
Speaker 1: That's what we can do. I love it all right well from North Saint John. I'm Brian Richie. We will see all next week.
Speaker 2: Bye, guys,