Speaker 1: The holidays are all about sharing with family, meals, couches, stories, Gramma secret pecan pie recipe, and now you can also share a cart with Instacart's family carts. Everyone can add what they want to one group cart from wherever they are, so you don't have to go from room to room to find out who wants cranberry sauce, or who should get many marshmallows for the ams, or collecting votes for sugar cookies versus shortbread. Just share a cart and then share the meals and the moments. Download the instacart app and get delivery in as fast as thirty minutes. Plus enjoy free delivery on your first three orders. Service fees and terms apply.
Speaker 2: Why get all your holiday decorations delivered through instacart Because maybe you only bought two wreaths but you have twelve windows, Or maybe your toddler got very eager with the advent calendar, or maybe the inflatable snowman didn't make it through the snowstorm, or maybe the twinkle lights aren't twinkling. Whatever the reason, this season, Instacart's here for hosts and their whole holiday haul. Get decorations from the home depots cvs and more through Instacart, and enjoy free delivery on your first three orders in terms ofpply.
Speaker 3: You may not realize it, but every minute of every day you're enjoying your First Amendment freedoms. You can wear what you want, give out your opinion for free, even if it's unpopular, Listen to your playlist. You can put a sign out on your front lawn that says vote for Bigfoot, someone you can believe in. Pray to the God of your choice, or don't you have the right to hang with a posse that thinks like you do. Tell the government what you think about its policies. They're the freedoms that let you be you, and they're all brought to you by the First Amendment.
Speaker 4: In myself.
Speaker 3: Learn more at freedomforum dot org.
Speaker 5: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Yeap, there you go.
Speaker 5: Thank you needed that, needed that, didn't didn't need it, but you got it anyway.
Speaker 4: What else is going on? Time four? What's Happening?
Speaker 3: What's Happening is sponsored by Abnerga Water Damage, Fuyer Damage Burglary called public adjuster.
Speaker 6: Abner gap eight one eight nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 4: Well, we're going to get a new chief today.
Speaker 6: Jim McDonald is going to be sworn in as the fifty ninth chief of your Los Angeles Police.
Speaker 7: Amen. I love this pick.
Speaker 6: Over at the Allegian Park Academy, of course, north of downtown LA. He already took the reins last week after the city Council voted eleven to two in favor of the nominee, later sworn in during a private ceremony at city Hall. This is the the public swearing in to make it a finally official.
Speaker 5: The reaction continues to pour in following Trump's nomination of Matt Gates as US Attorney General. John Bolton was one of the latest ones, saying it is the worst appointment in US history when it comes to cabinet positions, the worst nomination in history history.
Speaker 6: Okay, no love loss between those guys. The Saint, the sorry. The Vincent Thomas Bridge, which connects San Pedro a terminal island, expected to be closed for sixteen months, probably about a year from now.
Speaker 7: That's going to be a mess, According to.
Speaker 6: A Caltrans environmental report, they have to replace the bridge's deteriorating deck. They're also going to upgrade the seismic sensors, improve the existing median barrier and the railings.
Speaker 4: But sixteen month closure.
Speaker 6: The detour routes that push traffic through the Wilmington area. Some people say that they are unfair, which is why they made comments. They need more advanced notice to the public. They have route signs, warning signs, et cetera.
Speaker 5: There was a guy trying to break into cars, not just that, but car jack females in the Hullenbeck area of Los Angeles. It all happened on November ninth. All the victims were her female. Three times a guy tried to carjacked these wanted at a gas station at about ten forty am. All the women fought back by the way. Second report was in North Broadway about two o'clock. Yeah, this guy okay, So the first time at the gas station, he forced his way into the vehicle, but there was a struggle where he was removed from the vehicle. He took off on foot. The second attempt, he demands keys of the woman as she enters her parked car. She held onto the driver's side door to prevent him from entering, He smashes the window, takes up on it, takes off on foot. And then the third attempt, at another gas station about five PM, he pulled her out of.
Speaker 6: The vehicle and assaulted her as she was finishing pumping gas. And then thankfully a bystander was able to pull him off of her, and then he took off on a bicycle. What is he doing in these the three intervening hours between each of these episodes, And maybe there's more, I mean potentially.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I'm getting high Drunks.
Speaker 6: Fire official says that two people very lucky to have walked away from a crash landing when their plane went down near the four h five just after taking off from Vanay's airport this morning. To two occupant's men and a woman were able to get out of this thing after it flipped upside down. The Cessna the crashed just near the fifth what is that one? Five three hundred block fifteen three hundred block of West Burbank Boulevard just about seven o'clock this morning.
Speaker 5: Tropical Storm Sarah is here closing in on Central America, where it will unleash disastrous flooding in the area. This is the first and potentially most serious threat posed by a storm that should enter the Gulf of Mexico next week. It's the eighteenth named storm of the twenty twenty four Atlantic hurricane season. It has lived up to initial hyperactive forecasts, not necessarily play by the rules the hurricane seasons, ever, play by the rules.
Speaker 6: They said it could get so close to Honduras that it makes a few brief landfalls this weekend, but would still be able to tap into the warm water of the Western Caribbean. Tropical storm alerts have been issued for parts of Honduras and Nica, Iowa.
Speaker 5: A mother in Georgia has been arrested because her ten year old son walked alone away from home for about a mile.
Speaker 7: Britney Patterson is her name. She's forty one.
Speaker 5: She'd taken another son to a doctor, and she became mildly annoyed but not at all worried when the Sheriff's department called to say her ten year old son had wandered from their home and into town. She told NBC News, it's not a super dangerous or even dangerous at all stretch of road.
Speaker 7: I wasn't terrified for him. Or scared for his safety.
Speaker 4: Wait, how old is ten?
Speaker 5: We used to do this all the time when we are ten, walk down to the thrifties or whatever, get ice.
Speaker 6: And to go back to the story we were talking about sharing location. How many hours a day did our parents have zero clue with no idea where we were, no idea. We were out in a field drinking moonshine. They had no idea.
Speaker 4: I didn't have the scene.
Speaker 7: You never went to the reservoir, no Ah.
Speaker 4: We would go by the.
Speaker 5: River, but never went out to like San Marin Stafford Lake, out into the fields and just live off the land.
Speaker 4: We would go to somebody's property.
Speaker 7: Cigarettes and moonshine, Cigarettes and moonshine.
Speaker 5: Did you burn the place down your light? Those are special times. Nobody knew where you were. They couldn't get a hold of you. What a lovely child, See you in the morning.
Speaker 6: And then Advanced Auto Parts the latest company to close a bunch of stores. Advanced Auto Parts says it's going to close about five hundred stores by the middle of next year and cut some jobs under a restructuring effort because they said demand for vehicle parts has taken a hit from fewer consumers repairing their own cars. Shares of advanced autoparts actually up about two percent, despite also reporting the surprise third quarter adjusted loss of four cents per share.
Speaker 5: Big game on Sunday Night, Sunday Night Football under the lights at SOFI Stadium, The Bengals, Joe Burrow versus the LA Chargers and Justin Herbert, Please yes and more kickoff at five twenty. Limited tickets remain. It's going to be a packed house and a great game, So make sure to secure yours today at Chargers dot com slash tickets. You heard Coach Harbaugh, he said you got to bring it, fans, you got to bring it. You can listen to the game on All ninety eight seven as well. And we've got a pair of tickets right now.
Speaker 6: Why not one eight hundred five to zero one five three four eight hundred five to two oh one KFI caller number six, we'll pick up those two tickets to this Sunday Night's game Bengals Chargers at so Fin.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, this is Dylan Upstak, New York. When I lived in Long Beach, I used to take Orange County Bus Route Number one all the way down to San Clemente. When I was twelve years old, eleven or twelve, I would be gone all day. I would get off and you know, go to the beach and stuff, just have the fun. And my mother never knew where I was.
Speaker 5: Again, just different world, Melinda wrote in you killed me San Mran Fields, Nevado. Thing to do, drinking and fields with shotguns, shooting cans omg yep.
Speaker 4: Were was there a lot of shooting.
Speaker 7: There's some shooting, some shooting. There's some shooting.
Speaker 6: That's great, that's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: We never were down in the South. People always had property. There was always dairy farms. You could go out into the corner of us. You had a lot of four acre.
Speaker 4: Farm and no one would know you were there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Hey, we have a chance for you to win a thousand dollars. Your chance to win one thousand dollars. This keyword on our website deposit. That's deposit D E P O.
Speaker 5: S I. T.
Speaker 6: Editor now at KFI AM six forty dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys.
Speaker 6: If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, Call the winning attorneys at Sweet James.
Speaker 4: One eight hundred nine million.
Speaker 6: That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com. That keyword goes on the website email notification. If you win, they'll throw it to your email inbox and an hour from now during the John Cobel Show, he will tell you how you can win one thousand bucks.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to sit down to get ready for this beaver man moon as the chill of November sets in, embrace the energy of the final super moon in a rare series of three known as the.
Speaker 7: Full beaver moon.
Speaker 5: The full moon, the full beaver moon will reach its peak illumination tomorrow at four twenty eight pm Eastern.
Speaker 7: We will feel its energy.
Speaker 4: I feel it now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well it started.
Speaker 4: It's apatory beaver moon feeling.
Speaker 5: It started on Tuesday and you're going to feel the beaver energy until the nineteenth.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: That may be why whatever allergy or cold thing happened, Oh, just the beaver moon knocked it out.
Speaker 5: You know what, that's actually a possibility. Why is it called the beaver moon.
Speaker 4: That's a great question, Shannon.
Speaker 5: The Old Farmer's Almanac, which began publishing full moon names in the thirties, explains that the full moon is called the beaver moon because this is when beavers start taking shelter in their lodges after stalking up on food for the winter. This was also the season to trap beavers for their thick winter ready pelts.
Speaker 7: We won't get into the zodiac stuff. We should?
Speaker 4: We should? You? You're going to leave people out. They love that stuff.
Speaker 5: Many astrologers believe that a full moon is a great time to manifest your dreams, and because Taurus is an Earth sign, incorporating plants, gemstones, soil, and other natural elements into your rituals can be effective from manifesting your desires.
Speaker 4: What does Taurus have to do with anything?
Speaker 5: I think it's because the beaver moon is positioned as a full moon in Taurus. This is the Earth sign that rules wealth, income, material possessions, and the physical world in which we live. Ruled by Venus, Taurus focuses on what we value, our beliefs, the worth we place on everything we have or want.
Speaker 7: Because Taurus or you ask for this.
Speaker 5: Because Taurus rules wealth and money, you could also tap into its energy by creating an altar focused on finances using green candles. And because Taurus is ruled by venus. If you want to attract romance or increase love, use pink candles.
Speaker 4: How would you let plenty of both of those? So trust me out.
Speaker 5: Would you like some potential meditations, mantras or journal prompts?
Speaker 4: No, no, here we go.
Speaker 5: I do I have any music for this astrology music? Well, it's potential meditations, mantras or journal prompts that could help you achieve what you want to achieve through Taurus and the energy of the beaver moon.
Speaker 4: Cheeks.
Speaker 7: Here's one.
Speaker 5: I attract abundance in all forms and could be booty cheeks.
Speaker 7: Abundance of booty cheeks.
Speaker 4: I'm supposed to write that down.
Speaker 5: You could if you wanted to prompt your journal entry. It could start with I attract abundance in all forms, and then you start talking about places that you want more abundance, like back here you don't need any more. Here's another one. Wealth is mine and I open myself to it. Bring me stability and security. I enjoy the pleasures of life. I align with the endless flow of resources. Oh here's my favorite one. Well, no, no, no, you're gonna read that. That's going to come out the wrong way.
Speaker 7: Wow, I really pulled the nose up of that crashing plane.
Speaker 4: Why is your face ruck? What did I miss?
Speaker 7: I'm not telling you? Okay? So do you want to know your horoscope for the beaver moon.
Speaker 4: It's probably something about surging energy.
Speaker 5: You are a Capricorn, right, yes, brace yourself for some divining moments in your life, Capricorn, the full moon is bringing a surge of energy to your passion sector, triggering a significant turning point around romance, true love, hobbies.
Speaker 7: Fertility or creativity.
Speaker 6: Well, some of those are already spoken for, so I don't feel like I need to get too deep into mine motility.
Speaker 5: You're still fertile. Men are fertile forever, right, well not forever? But time does it stop?
Speaker 4: What time?
Speaker 6: For me?
Speaker 4: About seven thirty at night?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: Uh, early seventies probably, I think is an appropriate cutoff.
Speaker 4: I see, I think.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I feel like Robert de Niro just made a baby, and he's like, eighty did he make a baby?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: You're was it him or was it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: I know Mick Jagger relatively recently made baby.
Speaker 5: Yeah, al but you know, just had to kidour eighty four.
Speaker 7: See, Still you're fertile forever.
Speaker 4: Kid's gonna come out with a beard.
Speaker 6: If you're single as a Capricorn, you could cross paths with the soulmate connections. It. Don't miss the opportunity to put yourself out there and date up a storm.
Speaker 5: H interesting, Not at all, Not at all. I need to get out of that place of saying something is interesting when I mean the exact opposite. I do that interesting. No, I feel the exact opposite of interesting.
Speaker 6: You say that as a way that our mothers would probably say.
Speaker 4: That's true when they're just saying something to.
Speaker 7: React, say something to react, and.
Speaker 4: It's nicer than you just bored me for four minutes.
Speaker 7: Tears.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 7: I heard Chinese the entire time I was speaking.
Speaker 4: Time for strange science.
Speaker 8: Strange.
Speaker 4: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 5: Well, a dead ar fish, which is an incredibly rare creature considered a symbol of impending doom in Japanese folklore, has turned up on the southern California coast.
Speaker 7: That's fun impending do.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of them. Actually.
Speaker 6: The first one was covered in August by a group of kayakers and snorkelers that described themselves as Sciency.
Speaker 7: Was.
Speaker 4: They were at Laoya Cove in San Diego.
Speaker 6: The other the second one, was spotted near Grandview Beach in Ensinnitas last week.
Speaker 5: Fewer than twenty five of these oarfish have been seen in southern California waters in one hundred years.
Speaker 6: That's part of it is because they're very deep sea fish. That's where they that's where they throw. They should stay in the deep sea. They're terrifying looking.
Speaker 4: They said.
Speaker 6: Fewer than twenty five have been seen in southern California in over one entire century.
Speaker 7: Oh Man, Debra's not going to like this.
Speaker 5: The belief that the site of an oar fish in shallow waters is an omen of an impending earthquake dates back to seventeenth century Japan.
Speaker 7: The fish, also known as.
Speaker 9: Right yugu sus right Yugu no sukai right yugun suki, we're believed to be servants of the sea god Reijin, according to Japanese folklore.
Speaker 6: Yes that Ryugu no sukai translates to messenger from the sea God's palace that they were sent to the surface to warn people of earthquake, the impending earthquake.
Speaker 5: There were multiple sidings of the fish reported ahead of the twenty eleven to Hoku earthquake and the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
Speaker 6: But there's no evidence that they were actually connected. One fish person says, I believe the fish tend to rise to the surface when their physical condition is poor, rising on water currents, which is why they're so often dead when they are found. It's a the fish dies and then it doesn't. It doesn't actively seek out the beach to warn people. It's just the fish dies and this is gets caught up in.
Speaker 4: The current.
Speaker 5: It's like a Jerusalem cricket, right. They only come out when they're dying. You only see them when they're near death.
Speaker 4: That sounds fun.
Speaker 5: Ever, tell you about the time I saw my first Jerusalem cricket.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I was working on the John and Ken Show, and I was leaving my house for work and I opened the door and there is the ugly, prehistoric massive bug known as the Jerusalem cricket.
Speaker 7: I had no idea what it was. I was terrified.
Speaker 5: I didn't know if they because you always think things leap right like spiders, you thought, you know, would leap around, and this thing looks like it could have just leapt right in my face, you know, and started you know, Oh, my god.
Speaker 7: Right, it's awful.
Speaker 5: So I freaked out because I'd never seen one before. I freaked out, and I called Clay Row, who was running the board for John and Kent at the time, because Clay Row seems like he would know what these creatures are are at least, And I said, there's.
Speaker 7: This hideous thing, and.
Speaker 4: What how to handle them?
Speaker 7: How to handle it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hideous thing and I can't It's on my front porch and I can't walk past it. What if it jumps on me? And Clay said, it's a Jerusalem cricket. And because you can see it become because it's come out, it's dying.
Speaker 7: It's dying or dead, So just walk around it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would hang up on Clay And.
Speaker 5: Isn't it hideous? And they're like this, they're like this big too. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 7: But why did I call Clay? Is the mystery of the entire story.
Speaker 6: Here is a very very weird story and a strange episode that does not exist in other places. A captive marine animal has merged with another of its kind to become one.
Speaker 4: I don't mean in the old biblical sense.
Speaker 6: I mean this organism called a comb jelly it's like a jellyfish, a translucent invertebrate. It resembles a jellyfish, but it's actually a different group of marine animals called stenophores.
Speaker 7: To become one was a spice girl's song.
Speaker 6: They grow to about four inches long and two inches why. They eat planked and they're found throughout the Atlantic Ocean.
Speaker 4: They said.
Speaker 6: This merger was discovered when one comb jelly went missing from the lab tank and the other appeared unusually large, and when they took a closer look, the researchers found that the big one was actually two individuals sharing digestive and nervous systems. They fed the combined comb jelly's fluorescent brine shrimp and watched as the bits of food made their way through the shared digestive system.
Speaker 4: Oh, why is that creepy? That is very creepy human scent.
Speaker 5: Although I would share your digestive system, you've got a pretty strong gut.
Speaker 6: You'd probably stick to the upper gi right right, that seems to be the safest. Yeah, we are in the middle of string science talking about some of those great stories out of.
Speaker 4: The world of science.
Speaker 6: Now, now we believe we know where the wheel came from.
Speaker 4: What m say.
Speaker 6: Interesting, the earliest evidence of the wheel use has been pushed back about six thousand years. The first examples currently date to about four thousand BC in Grace, when the wheel was used for pottery actually modern day Iraq. Really yeah, about five hundred years later, during the Bronze Age the first evidence of wheeled vehicle use was documented. But now they're saying that they have found perforated pebbles from an archaeological site in Israel that could be a new key milestone in the development of what they say are rotational tools, including wheels. About one hundred of the mostly limestone pebbles on earthed in this dig site featured a circular shape perforated by a central hole, and they date back about twelve thousand years.
Speaker 7: Interesting.
Speaker 5: The Natural the Natural History Museum of La County this weekend is going to unveil his seventy five thousand square foot renovated wing. They hope they'll be attracting more visitors with this. The space includes Natalie, but it's Natalie spelled like gnat, like a flying gnat.
Speaker 7: It is a silent g at the start.
Speaker 4: God Natalie, I mean, if you look at.
Speaker 7: It, but like a gnat. You don't you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, I can know right, brand new species of seropod and the first ever green dinosaur skeleton will be mounted for display.
Speaker 7: Natalie is a big deal. Took science.
Speaker 5: It is fifteen years to dig up Natalie from a hillside in Utah. From head to toe, it's about the length of two and a half school buses. That is a big ass dinosaur.
Speaker 4: That's pretty massive.
Speaker 7: There's no other serapod like it on display.
Speaker 5: And yes, its fossilized bones have a green shade. It's from the celidonite mineral that replaced its bones over one hundred and fifty million years. They say the color is beautiful and that when the sun hits it, it's going to change throughout the day, highlighted differently throughout the day.
Speaker 6: I love this kind of study only because I think it'd be fun to watch. Neuroscientists have taught rats how to drive, okay, and they like it. Yeah, now, but that and that part of it, like teaching them to drive, that's probably the easy part, getting them to do something in order for a reward, But that they like it.
Speaker 7: They think it's fun. I love driving too, And now.
Speaker 6: The neuroscientists are talking about that the study originally to get them to drive, may actually teach us about how anticipating fun can enrich human lives the way it does rats. Neuroscientists advocates for housing and testing laboratory animals and natural habitats. This neuroscientist said, it's amusing to see how far we've strayed from lab practices with the Projects project. Rats typically prefer dirt, sticks and rocks over plastic objects, but now we have them driving cars. And he says, obviously humans didn't evolve to drive either. They didn't have cars more than one hundred years ago. But our brains enable us to require new skills, fire, language, wheels, stone, agriculture, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: But after we.
Speaker 6: Made our wheels, remember twelve thousand years ago, we started making cars. I mean it took a while, but I guess you could say that. And they said that this is also something interesting, that rats always had done this, and he hadn't noticed that rats eagerly ran to the side of the cage, jumping up like a dog when asked if he wants to take a walk. When they would show them these plastic cars that the rats were able to drive. Now, maybe the rats believed that they were going to be free at some point, like this rat car was somehow going to drive them away from the lab, and that's what they were so excited about. But rats required to wait for their rewards show signs of shifting from a pessimistic cognitive style to an optimistic one in a test that was designed to measure rodent optimism. I don't know how you do that, but I'm also not a rats neuroscientist. Interesting anticipating, anticipating, I mean real fun is.
Speaker 7: Good for true just like Carly Simon sang.
Speaker 4: About we think about planning a vacation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you plan it fun.
Speaker 6: You have something to attach to the future. You know, you drop an anchor somewhere in the future, and you just kind of use that as your.
Speaker 4: Guide for whatever you're gonna do it.
Speaker 6: However you spend money or don't spend money because you want to save money for your vacation, or you eat or you don't eat because you want your pants to fit, or however it works.
Speaker 7: That would be good. I like it when my pants fit.
Speaker 4: Everybody likes it when your pants fit. Nobody likes to see those things struggle.
Speaker 7: Well, you know what, what was the next one? The next one? Did you hear about the Red Monsters?
Speaker 4: Is this a science story or are we doing fables now the Red Monsters?
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm just gonna tell stories under the umbrella of science.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: The James Web Telescope has spot three gigantic red monster galaxies, galaxies so large they shouldn't exist. They say that this is shaking the world of astronomy to its core. They could rewrite our understanding of how stars and galaxies first formed. They are each one hundred billion times the mass of our Sun, nearly as massive as the Milky Way, and they're more than twelve point eight billion years old. They were formed within a billion years of the Big Bang, or as God calls it, Exodus.
Speaker 4: As God calls it, You're welcome.
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting to mix in a little God when we do strange science, just to give him a shout out.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Well, he's the one who did it. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 6: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm ever ever free Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why get all your holiday decorations delivered through instacart Because maybe you only bought two wreaths but you have twelve windows, Or maybe your toddler got very eager with the advent calendar, or maybe the inflatable snowman didn't make it through the snowstorm, or maybe the twinkle lights aren't twinkling. Whatever the reason, this season, Instacart's here for hosts and.
Speaker 7: Their whole holiday haul.
Speaker 2: Get decorations from the home depots, CBS and more through instacart and enjoy free delivery on your first three orders service fees in terms ofpply.
Speaker 1: The holidays are all about sharing with family, meals, couches, stories, Gramma secret, pecan pie recipe, and now you can also share a cart with Instacart's family carts. Everyone can add what they want to one group cart from wherever they are, so you don't have to go from room to room to find out who wants cranberry sauce, or who should get many marshmallows for the ams, or collecting votes for sugar cookies versus shortbread. Just share a cart and then share the meals and the moments. Download the instacart app and get delivery in as fast as thirty minutes, plus enjoy free delivery on your first three orders. Service fees and terms apply