Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot, The kids are playing or turning off.
Speaker 3: The cultures are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like the pressure's on here as we get the week started. Welcome in Coffee and Company. That's us fueled by Thornton's here on Sports.
Speaker 2: Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Even if you didn't know that two minutes ago, you know it now because we have that really strategic liner at two fifty nine fifty five with five seconds till the show starts, to let you know to tune in today at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: But did you guys hear.
Speaker 4: What I mean?
Speaker 2: Maybe you weren't paying attention.
Speaker 4: If you're a podcast listener, you didn't hear it. But the liner said, if there's one man that can bring this country together by talking sports, Coffee and Company, that's a lot of pressure, is it not?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, do I need a seat with Trump and Zelenski?
Speaker 4: I mean like that, I feel like I'm being asked to do something that I'm not.
Speaker 2: Qualified to do. It's a tall, tall task.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've always wondered who, like who writes those? And I remember this was years ago.
Speaker 2: I thought that were you? Honest?
Speaker 4: No, No, previous boss who's no longer around, who I miss he's he was a great a great boss and a good dude. And I hope, I hope he's doing well. But Josh, Josh Evert used to be our boss here and Josh I don't know why, but for some reason I thought he wrote those and I love him, but I'm like, man, like these are really corny, Like these, There's no way Josh wrote these, but again, like that I would. I just assumed because of his position, he is in charge of it. And what it turns out to be is that like they're they're the same for like a lot of like you can customize them, but we have a lot of them that are just like every market that has a sports show on a sports station, they'll throw those in there. And we have some customer, you know, some customization, but you know, like the Mookie Wilson rookie card, Like I don't know who Mookie Wilson is. Like I had somebody ask me one time at might have been one of my son's football games, ask me about my Mookie Wilson rookie card. I'm like, you have the wrong person, Like what the hell, what the hell are you talking about? And then they were like, you know, like the commercial, and I'm like no, so yeah, yeah, things like that. I just you know, like come on, but anyways, let's get it started. Show we Hopefully everybody had themselves a good weekend. I know I certainly did.
Speaker 2: I did not like that.
Speaker 4: We had a nice tease for weather on Saturday because it was sunny and it looked nice, but it was cold.
Speaker 2: Again, it wasn't freezing, but it was it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was like high thirties. And yes, the sun can really can help when we have cold temperatures, but when the wind is whipping like that, it's just it's not good. But you know, we have hit March and I'm ready for some warm weather. Also ready for ready for March madness. I mean I am, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: We're coming down to the final week here of the regular season, which you know, I am excited to know that Selection Sunday will be here in a couple of weeks and Louisville will be included. That's exciting, but it's also kind of bittersweet because you know, once you get to the postseason, you win or you go home. Especially, you know, I mean really the instead of the tournament more than anything. Obviously, if you're not fighting for a bid by way of your conference tournament, then you know, like louisll could lose the first game whoever they play, and it might be a bad loss for them, but it wouldn't impact they're.
Speaker 2: Getting in the tournament.
Speaker 4: So you know, I've enjoyed this season so much that you know, there is something that doesn't make me sad because again, you're in a great spot. Louis's in the top fifteen in the AP pole and in the Coach's poll again safely in the tournament. But when it gets to win or go home, I'm not gonna be sad. There's gonna be some real excitement because we love March Madness and the NAA Tournament. Everything that comes with it around here, and we've been starving for it as Louisville fans because man, it's been a while. I mean, you haven't made the tournament in six years, you have made the second weekend in ten years. So again, I'm excited, but also I kind of just wish we could hit pause and just enjoy everything that we've got going right now, because it's been a lot of fun and when it's over, it's gonna be sad, and I hope it doesn't end, you know, early, but you just don't know.
Speaker 2: You just don't know.
Speaker 4: So again, we'll talk a lot about what happened with Louisville and Pittsburgh sort of where we go from here. Kentucky they got it handed to him against Auburn. They now know for sure they don't have Jackson Robbinson the rest of the way. And I find myself with Kentucky in their new era right They've they're just like Louisville. They've got a new coach that really had to build the team from scratch, and it's been a fun ride for them.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I'm sure right now they're not loving the way things have played out recently, but you know, they're not losing to bad teams, They're still safely in the tournament.
Speaker 2: They still are going to get a really good seed.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't see a scenario where Kentucky doesn't end up with at least a four seed. I mean, I guess I could be wrong, but when you look at all the bracketology, all the numbers out there, and really just knowing who it is they've beat along the way and who they've lost to, I mean, I don't really see how they could get any Kentucky would need to lose to LSU too, I think risk not getting at least a four seed. So again this year, you know, post Caliperi, from my perspective, the Louisville fan, who you know, I don't want to see Kentucky win, but I do try to be honest and real. That's kind of what I think I need to do on this show. I'll take my shots when I can, but I also I'm not gonna lie to myself for a lot of any of you guys. You know, if Kentucky's really good, I'll say it. If I think their coach is really good, I'll say it. I won't may not like it, but it's just the truth. But I find myself this year sort of kind of viewing them differently than most because you know, I think honestly, they've had it. You know, they're nineteen and ten again, They're still going to get a really good seat, I would imagine, But you know, I think they're in this position more so because of their coach than they are their personnel. And I don't mean because he's just he's scheming something up that nobody else could because he's got that John Wooden basketball IQ. I just mean like he's been able to get these guys to really live in the moment, not get too high and not get too low, and that matters.
Speaker 2: This day and age.
Speaker 4: But I kind of feel like they're, you know, as I try to play, you know, from the outside looking in I try to play, I guess, you know, psychologists here. I think they like their team and they have results throughout the season that make them feel I guess justified when it comes to being confident in March. But like you know, you've also watched your team lose three of six ten losses overall, and I'm sure, even if it is against good teams, that's probably gonna take its.
Speaker 2: Toll as well.
Speaker 4: So again we're loaded today a lot to get into. If you guys want to take us with you wherever you go, you should do it. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com and we'll let you know how you can be a part of the show. We'll open up the phone lines once we get to our first break here coming up shortly. Doing remind you that we are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. And I don't mention this enough about Thornton's, and I'm sure they're not the only one, but I know they were the first around here as far as gas stations, convenience stores that you could go into and you could check out yourself. I know there's others that have, you know, added self checkout because you know it's twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: But one thing that I mean, I can't remember the last time.
Speaker 4: In fact, I probably in the last five six years have not checked out at a place with self checkout unless the self checkout lanes were closed. I just even if I've got a bunch of things like I just I feel like I'll do it quicker. I'll get in, i'll get out, I'll get it all taken care of, Like when I go to grocery stores to do it, rather it be Walmart, Mey or Kroger whatever. Why is it that they are so desperate for you to want to get cash back?
Speaker 2: Like I always trip up on.
Speaker 4: The gas or not, Because again I was trying to give Thornton's a compliment here because they don't ask you for cash back. It's a quick I mean you can literally, and I'm not kidding you if there's not a line, which usually when I go in there's not because you know, people aren't getting groceries at the convenience store usually if you're doing self checkout, it's a very easy, quick process. But like I can walk from the gas pump into Thornton's, get two Monster Energy drinks, maybe one of those sausage ek and cheese croissant breakfast sandwiches that are so delicious, and I can check out. I can walk in and walk out, no joke, in less than two minutes. Like that's to me, that's awesome. But you know, I guess I shouldn't expect it to be that quick when you're at a Meyer or a Walmart or Kroger whatever. But I always get tripped up on all the prompts they you know, I say I've checked out, I hit you know, I scan everything, I hit finish, I hit the button that says card because I'm gonna use my debit card. And usually it's pretty like you either say no, no, no, or yes yes yes, just depending upon how they're prompting you, how they're asking you questions. But like the cash back, I don't ever want cash back, but like, are you do you want cash back?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Because they want to charge you seventy five cents? Do you want cash back no? Are you sure you want cash back?
Speaker 1: Yes? Or no?
Speaker 4: Are you saying you don't want cash back? Are you like I don't want cash back?
Speaker 2: Damn it? Like let me leave, so then I'll hit you know.
Speaker 4: I've tried to tell them I don't want cash back, and then somehow along the way I've told them that no, I don't agree on like the amount, so then they have me start the whole process over.
Speaker 2: Like you should.
Speaker 4: You should it should be a thing, because look, I could be wrong. I feel like nine out of ten people who use the self checkout at these stores do not get cash back, So like we should just be we should just know to look for a button to hit if we want cash back. Here I am complaining about where I was today. I think it was a Meyer. Yeah it was Meyer. I went to two different places to look for something, and I remember which one actually got it out, but it was Meyer. I checked that at Meyer and I had to start over because I I guess. I told them I didn't want cash back, and then they asked me, are you sure you don't want cash back? And then I said no, thinking that like, no, I don't want cash back, but they try to trip you up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so again here, you really really sure you don't want cash back? You want to? Or what about? Do you want to leave a tip for all the harm people? Or do you want to leave a tip for tippy?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't I don't get prompted for that at the self checkout, but it is rich to check out. I went and got my kids happy meals last night for dinner, a great healthy dinner for my children.
Speaker 2: And you know, do you want to round up?
Speaker 4: You're a you're the billion dollar company that is now charging way like charge and by the way, like, let's be real certain things because of supply and demand, you know, and inflation, it's more expensive.
Speaker 2: But it's also a way for everybody to just say, well, hey, what are you going to do? Inflation?
Speaker 4: Every they just put make everything more expense and blame it on the economy without any real reason that it should be more expensive than it is. But like it is kind of rich that you want us to us around it. Why don't you do it? Why don't you spend the day where you round up on all of our purchases, Like why wouldn't you do that?
Speaker 2: Like you're the one who can like it. The meal's already eight dollars.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean it's almost it's not insulting, but like because you're because you're claiming it's for a charity. Like and by the way, like if everybody, and I shouldn't accuse them of this because I don't know, but like if if there's a big and I'm sure enough people do it to where there's a big number, do you think that McDonald's is out here or whoever it is, parading around that their customers are the one they're probably they're probably positioning as it look at us. We've we've been able to collect this much money, Like it's just it irritates me. But we'll move on because I was just trying to give Thornton's a shout out for not harassing me and spamming me about wanting cash back, and the conversation took a took a wide right turn. So anyways, again, Coffee and Company, we are Fieldbeth Thornton's Nick Coffee. That's me the trivel Chief, mister Rawston Montgomery alongside today and I'll just I'll just start right away with Louisville because I mean, Chucky Hebird has continued to show us that he's a really, really special player, like we all know that. But the six consecutive made threes in the first half the other night, I don't think there's anything comparable in Louisville basketball history to that. Now, again, it wasn't, it wasn't, you know, late with the game on the line. It wasn't in the tournament. It wasn't even against a good team. And I'm not trying to in any way diminish it. I'm just saying that I don't think it's gonna be remembered for how insane it actually was. Like if you were there in person, I'm sure you're gonna remember it forever, if you were watching it at home or wherever, like it was the ultimate. This guy can't miss. I want him to keep shooting. And by the way, he never shot another one. He went six to six from three, so thirty seven points for Chucky to go along with four assists, four rebounds, just had two turnovers in the game. I mean, guys are mostly remembered by what they do in March, and I you know, that's just how it is. I'm not complaining, and I hope that Louisville can have a long March to where they can, you know, make it to the second weekend or maybe even further. But even if they don't, like, aren't we all in agreement that this guy is as good as anybody we've had.
Speaker 2: Here in a long time.
Speaker 4: Like Russ Smith graduated from Louisville in twenty fourteen. I believe, I believe that the day that he is the best. I mean, I think Chucky's the best player Louisville's had since Russ Smith. And I really don't know who would even be a close second. I mean, I think, you know, for what it's worth, Jordan war was an All was an All American player, Like he wasn't first team. I think he might have been the third team or maybe even maybe even Honorable Mention, which let's be honest, that's also a rare thing, like they're haven't been many of those. I mean, if you're an All American, rather it be first, second, third, or honorable mention, that's that's a big honor. And I don't know about other programs, but I know Louisville they have It's not like they have those guys every year.
Speaker 2: And I don't know where Chuck's gonna end up.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is kind of funny, and I love that Pat Kelsey has still taking shots at whoever decided to leave him off the Bob Coosey watch list. They trimmed it to ten and they said Chucky wasn't one of the ten best point guards in the country, which you know, and by the way, he's had some games that are like, you know, not like this. I mean, thirty seven points in six May threes consecutively. I mean, that was an all timer for Chuck. But I mean since that snub I think he's had and really his injury as well, I think was a reminder to people, oh wow, this guy, or maybe not even a reminder, but maybe just a wake up call, because again I said it tongue in cheek, but I do believe there was some I was somewhat serious when I said that. I think Pat Kelsey, understandably so, is getting so much attention for this quick turnaround, the revival. I mean, he's clearly in the top candidate's list for Coach of the Year, every Coach of the Year ward you're gonna find. I'm not sure if he's gonna win any but like he's getting a lot of praise and it's absolutely justified. But I believe at the time they trim that award list or that watch list, I should say that maybe people didn't realize that there's a really good point guard that's a big factor.
Speaker 2: And again, everybody.
Speaker 4: Involved deserves accolades and props for this whole thing. But it's like Pat Kelce was the main story as he should be, that people just weren't. It wasn't as if they were disrespecting Chucky. They just didn't realize how good of a year he's having and now, I mean, I don't know how you couldn't be aware of how good this guy is. I mean, Cooper Flag's gonna win ACC Player of the Year, He's probably gonna win National Player of the Year. But Chucky Hepburn's gonna be First Team All ACC. And I don't know. I mean, there's really good players out there. This has in fact been a really good year for college basketball. If you're somebody that just I mean, there's a lot of good teams, Like night in and night out, I mean, you've got a lot of teams that could beat anybody. I think you've got clearly an elite tier of teams.
Speaker 2: I don't think that that tier is that big.
Speaker 4: And then you got a lot of teams that, man like if these cut if you've got a round of thirty two, sweet sixteen, if those if those matchups are the kind of teams that, like right now, are currently in in in the in the rankings, rather it be AP or Ken Palm or net To, where like, those are the caliber teams that get there in the round of thirty two and the sweet sixteen, We're gonna get some really really good games. So again, college basketballs having a great season, but Chucky Hepburn. I mean, I don't know if the accolades are going to be there as far as the recognition at the end, all American status, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: You can't control that.
Speaker 4: But I'm ready to say he's the best player Louisvell has had since since Russ and I don't really think it's close.
Speaker 2: And I just you know, the only downside is we only get him for one year.
Speaker 4: Because he's been he's been special, and really this group, I mean, they're gonna be remembered for a really, really long time. And I think Saturday, I mean, then we'll talk much more about it once we get our first break out of the way, and we'll let you guys be a part of the show and share your thoughts as well.
Speaker 2: But for me, you know, I think Saturday.
Speaker 4: You know, it came down to this team once again not really having a I mean, I wouldn't say that they didn't have a good night because if you look at the numbers, I mean they shot it fifty two percent from three. Now, again that was mostly because Chucky went six of six, but also got to the line thirty one times, made seventy one percent of those, I mean overall shot fifty percent from the floor, had two, you know, two big time scorers with Chucky and with thirty seven fat with twenty three. Outside of that, you really didn't get a whole lot from others when it comes to production. But you know, I mean, I'm not going to say they played bad. But to me, what I saw and this isn't this isn't like a criticism. It's just I mean, this isn't like I'm saying, you know, we shouldn't still feel really good about where we are. But I think we've now seen four straight games that they're just a little they're just a little sluggish. There's clearly, to me, some fatigue that is carrying over to different aspects of the game. A step slow on defense. I think sometimes fatigue leads to these guys making some questionable decisions that we didn't see early on. So I mean, there's nothing you can do about it, at least other than hope that they get rested and that kind of fades away. But these guys, a lot of them, have played a ton of minutes throughout the season, and I just hope that that's not why they just to me, look a little bit sluggish. I can't say that they look bad. They did against Virginia Tech at times, but again, even with that, you know, they've been challenged late in the last couple of games. And I think Pittsburgh is a good team as far as their personnel. I mean, again, there's nothing about their resume, nothing about anything as far as the numbers that'll you know, that'll convince you that they're a good team. But like, I believe they have the caliber talent on their team that you're going to see in the NAA Tournament. Like I think if they were coached better and they somehow won some of these close games they've been in, they might be a tournament team because I think they have the peak the personnel to do that. But again Louisville, I don't want to say that it just wasn't their night, because that was the case against Virginia Tech. I think Saturday they just you know, they weren't as they weren't as good defensively. But again maybe that's more so because pitt has some guys that can give you problems.
Speaker 2: But either way, this is a winning team. Their coach is.
Speaker 4: A winner, and I still don't think Saturday was ideal. It was clearly better than Virginia Tech. But they find ways to win. And they haven't played clean really in the last couple of weeks, but that has not led to them slipping up and losing a game, so all at all. I mean, I'm just trying to live in the moment as a fan, but I'm also going to be honest and tell you that I think the last four games, I still think this team is the same team we've watched all year as far as what they can accomplish. I just think they look clearly winded and and there's fatigue that's setting in, and that's that's normal. And I just, you know, I just don't I don't think there's anything to do about that. You just hope that it doesn't it doesn't, you know, come back to be And we'll never know, right Like, if they somehow slip up and lose in the round to sixty four, maybe in the round of the third two, maybe we'll say it's because they're tired.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I guess we'll have to see what it looks like.
Speaker 4: If, of course that ends up happening, who knows, Maybe they go on a deep run now when it comes to Kentucky, you know, as far as what happened on Saturday, I mean, they they just lost to a team that's a lot better than them. But what nobody else is talking about when it comes to the game just completely dying. As far as the broadcast, the truck, the ABC truck, I guess that you know, gets this thing on television across the planet completely lost power due to some kind of fire. So like the game wasn't on at all on television for like the last what like fourteen minutes or something. And there's one thing that like nobody seems to be talking about that I think was it was to me the most it was the most obvious reaction when I heard that they lost the game, and like it wouldn't be back on. So we'll talk about that as well. We're loaded the rest of the way. It's a Monday, it's March. Let's have some fun coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven to.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee in company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, if you guys want to join us, you can five x two five seven one seventy nine hundred is a number. If you want to give us a call. We have opened up the phone lines, so join in if you'd like.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I know, when't the only one thinking.
Speaker 4: It after the fact, but as Chucky Hepburn's six point or I'm sorry, six consecutive three point makes went in. I mean, usually when that happens and he makes six in a row in that amount of time, I mean, you might bury a team, like you might.
Speaker 2: They might not, it might be over for him. And credit to Pitt they.
Speaker 4: Were responding, but I mean, you know, it just it was I know, how can at times be the glass half empty guy, or at least it appears that way. But usually if that kind of if something like that happens, you're usually you know, creating a lot of separation. And that just did happened, and they didn't worry me as if Louisville was going to lose. But I just felt like, man, like, that's the kind of thing that, you know, if everything else was kind of where it was.
Speaker 2: A few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: I guess really prior to like the the you know, the Miami game, I think it was, then you probably would have been in a position to where Pitt's down twenty and then they just don't have any fight left. But again credit to Pitt. I thought they, you know, one, they always fight. They're really competitive. I mean when I say fight, I mean like they're physical. I mean I think when you look at sort of there, I don't know what it is about Cable because I think even when its teams have been terrible, like maybe it's just when louisvill plays them, you typically get a good a good challenge from them as far as just you know, they're they're they're not going to back down. They're they're pretty intense, they're very physical. They just don't win enough and they don't win close games. And it just to me I felt like if it was going to work out with Cable at Pittsburgh, it already would have. But as I look at the numbers here, I mean, pitt was ten of thirty seven from three. They shot sixteen more threes than Louisville, and like Virginia Tech, I feel like a lot of them were wide open. So you know, I don't I'm happy Louisville won, Clearly, I still think the world of this team, and I've seen enough to know that if they do, you know, find their way to not only a win in the Let's say they get to the Duke game and lose a close one and then they make it to the Elite eight or something. I'm not predicting that right now, but I can't tell you that I'd be stunned because I've watched this team from start to finish, and I've seen when they really can be a team that just looks like they're going to be a tough bout for everybody, and I just if I'm not, if I'm honest, that's not the team that I've seen. The last four games, they've still won, and that's because that's what they do.
Speaker 2: They're a winning team. They find ways to win.
Speaker 4: They're really tough, they're mature, they don't get too high too low. They can have three consecutive plays where things fall apart right a turnover, you get dunked on, you turn it over again. Well, then they can come back the next play as if that never happened and regroup. And I think that's that's a real valuable thing that this team has. But I just again, I've got no problem in saying it like right now, and it's not and I've already had a couple of people mentioned that they think I am wanting Louisblle to win these games about twenty five or thirty in order to jump up in the metrics or whatever.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's why I kind of feel.
Speaker 4: Like they've they've they've looked so winded, and I'm telling you that's not at all what it's about. I mean, they won by eleven the other night, Like they weren't projected to win that game by eleven, they weren't favored to win that game by eleven, so they covered, so they exceeded when it comes to the number. And even against Notre Dames, same thing. Miami was the game in Miami and Florida State were games where they I don't think they ended up covering. But either way, like, it's not about that to me, it's about like, let me give an example.
Speaker 2: I'm watching.
Speaker 4: It was Dusty Baker, not the former baseball coach, but Wave three's Dusty Baker. He got the highlights of all six of Chucky's three pointers and put it together in a single clip. And I'm watching here and as Chuck he's running back on defense, like you can tell, like James Scott, and I'm not picking on him at all, but he's just like, he looks like he's about to fall over.
Speaker 2: And I don't think it's because he's out of shape. I just think these guys are winded.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: They've played a lot of basketball in that and that worries me a little bit.
Speaker 2: Let me and let me.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about it on the way in because I'm trying to balance it here. I don't want people to think that I'm like setting setting it up to where we need to just accept this team had a great run and they're probably running out of gas and we shouldn't expect a deep run. I have no clue what they're gonna do in the tournament, but I'm also not to the point where I'm just expecting them to kind of fall apart. I just also I'm not gonna, you know, I'm gonna enjoy it, but also be real. Then the last four games, I just think they've they've lost a little bit of their edge, and I assume it's because they're just a little bit worn down. And I don't think there's really any snap your fingers magic fixed to that. But earlier this year in January, when they started really I mean, when they started playing really well. And I know people can say what they want about the ACC and it not being great, and they're right, but Louisville once they got to North Carolina on January first, and really from from from January first to I guess about I mean, I was gonna say, even like when they lost to Georgia Tech, I didn't feel I mean, I kind of feel like that was the same team we watched all year. Georgia Tech just kind of got really hot at the right time three different times in that game. Louisville miss free throws, didn't execute late, and you know, it wasn't there night like that happens. Like, I don't feel like that was a game where, man, they just they laid an egg. I guess technically you can claim they did because they lost, But my point is this, they were beating they were beating teams like Carolina, Virginia, Clemson, Pitt Syracuse, SMU, Wake Forest and Look, I'm not saying that those are like big signature wins because honestly, of those teams I just mentioned, only one of them is going to be in the NAA tur.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: So. But what I what I what I kept reiterating throughout that run was that they're winning and sometimes dominating these teams. And yes, even though these teams aren't great, like Louisville would have an off night, from three, Louisville would shoot like fifty percent from the free throw line and still win by double digits. And it was so impressive to me because they were leaving points on the floor.
Speaker 2: There were certain.
Speaker 4: Aspects where they just kind of, you know, they didn't get it done. But man, they were playing so hard. They were so locked in defensively when it comes to attention to detail the scout like they were. They were just so sharp in every aspect as far as you know, things you can control and some people say, well you can control making your free throws. Yes, and no, I mean nobody's going up there trying to miss it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: So like they were just so locked in and so in sync together that they could make up for having an off night, like I thought when they lost k pryor Korn Johnson, and then after that, you know, we saw them get blown out by Ole Miss.
Speaker 2: They really fell apart.
Speaker 4: Against Duke kind of after having a big lead, and when they had the lead, it took them getting really hot from three. I mean, I know I'm not the only one that pre January it kind of felt like, well, if Lois's gonna be a tournament caliber team, it's gonna be tough for them to beat, even the ACC teams that are mid if they're not shooting the three ball, well, if Chuck he's not really having a great night, or like, it just felt like there were gonna be certain things that you would have a tough time beating anybody if these certain things didn't go right. And then sure enough in January they were winning those games with bad nights at the free throw on. They were winning those games where they shot twenty something percent from three.
Speaker 2: And that's not what you like.
Speaker 4: You're not happy that those specific things happened, but man like you were able to show that, hey, you could have an off night, but if you play such good defense and you have such great attention to detail and you are really you know, you're out doing your opponent when it comes to enthusiasm and energy, like, those things can go a long way. So again, those things were there and they were rolling, and then the other night, you know they made six, Chuck, he made six straight threes, and they never really at that point had pulled away. And that's not like a crime, it's not like that's a terrible like sometimes that's just basketball, right, and other team's making shots too. But those things that I felt like were so consistent and so controllable to where, hey, maybe maybe it's not your night if your rain, or maybe you do misfree throws, or maybe you know, maybe Waterman's still playing close to twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: And he's zero for eight or something like that.
Speaker 4: Like you were able to overcome that because of all the little things that you were just so sharp with. And I think lately they've just lost a little bit of that. And I don't think it's because they're getting complacent. I don't think it's because they're feeling too good about themselves. I just believe it's because they're they're winded, and you know, that's part of it. I'm sure a lot of teams to the same way. So it could be nothing. It could be that, you know, maybe we see him play coming up here on Wednesday, and you know, maybe they look as good as we've seen them all year. Maybe the same thing happens on Saturday for the finale when they play Stanford. I mean, only time will tell. So again, I'm balancing it here when it comes to where they are, pinch me, like, is this real?
Speaker 2: Twenty three and.
Speaker 4: Six got a good chance of finishing the regular season. Twenty five and six, you're in the top fifteen in both polls.
Speaker 2: You're safely in the tournament.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's been phenomenal, and I hope that this team goes on a deep run. I'm not in any way acting like I think that they won't. I mean, the reality is none of us know. But I also, you know, I don't want to act like I'm not seeing this team just again here and there, Like just about every aspect I feel like, maybe other than three point shooting, because I mean again the other night they shot fifty.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: The numbers, I guess can be a little bit skewed because Chucky went six of six, but they were eleven of twenty one from three fifty two percent.
Speaker 2: That's pretty it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're you're shooting eleven of twenty one from three, I feel like you have you're gonna have a tough time losing many games, all right, real quick before we get to our next break. When it comes to the Kentucky game, I'm not really sure. I mean, like, you know, one, they just played a team that is a lot better than them because of the team they played, is a lot better than just about everybody.
Speaker 2: Now. With that said, though, Kentucky's Kentucky.
Speaker 4: You know, they don't expect to ever get you know, get worked like that on their home floor.
Speaker 2: But you know, if.
Speaker 4: There's one team that's probably gonna be able to do that to you, it's the team you played on Saturday. So I mean, it wasn't great by any means if you're Kentucky, but it probably didn't change.
Speaker 2: It didn't change.
Speaker 4: I don't think it changed anything for you as far as you're seating. Like in the net, Kentucky currently sits at number fifteen now. They were fifteen yesterday, which maybe, you know, maybe they were fifteen on Saturday before that game.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: But still they're in the top fifteen in the net with a nineteen to ten record, and it's because all their losses are quad one and let's see, no they have one quad two loss. I don't know which one that would be maybe it's the neutral site loss to Ohio State.
Speaker 2: But look, they got nine quad one wins.
Speaker 4: I mean that is more than everybody outside of Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, in Michigan State. So their seed is safe. So the game is kind of like, you know, if you're Kentucky, I mean you even really work. I mean, you're not gonna see Auburn maybe until you get to I don't know, maybe the final four if you get there, but you know, now you don't have Jackson Robbinson the rest of the way, which I guess isn't good news by any means, but.
Speaker 2: Like, at least now you know Lamont Butler's back.
Speaker 4: But also I think the reason why you just forget about the game is because a lot of people didn't see the end of it. I don't remember when it cut off. But one thing that like, I don't think I've heard anybody bring up and maybe I'm just not you know, I wasn't listening to any postgame shows or anything like that. I wasn't, you know, I wasn't mingling with Kentucky fans, you know, during or after the game. But imagine, so for those who missed it, I don't know how you did. But ABC, which by the way, that was the national broadcast ABC. They were there for the game, and there's always a big truck or multiple trucks actually that you know are part of the broadcast. I don't know enough about it from a technological standpoint as far as how it all works, but you know, those trucks are essentially what is sending this broadcast and really any broadcast out.
Speaker 2: To the world to see.
Speaker 4: And apparently there was a fire somewhere that caused that truck to lose power. That's apparently what happened, so they couldn't get power back. They didn't have any kind of a backup, so they just didn't have the game on television. So imagine if that was like a close game in Kentucky was winning.
Speaker 2: It was like a back and forth.
Speaker 4: Lead, a bunch of lead changes, and Kentucky wins with like a you know, a big, a big shot late to put it away, and none of the fans can see it. I mean, I can't really think of like what they would have done, but like the the outrage it would have been, it would be something we'd still be like, it would be such a big, big to do among the entire world that is big Blue Nation, and we know this is Louisville fans.
Speaker 2: They're they're they outnumber everybody.
Speaker 4: I'll probably never go to space, but if I ever do end up in space, I'll probably run into a UK fan that's wearing blue.
Speaker 2: Because they're everywhere. You can't escape them. There's billions of them.
Speaker 4: And if they didn't get to see Kentucky pull off that kind of a you know, a win in that situation, I mean again, I can't think of like what they would have done. I mean, hopefully they wouldn't have, you know, hurt anybody, but like it wouldn't shock me. But they what happened is like ABC's issue with the power actually put them out of their misery.
Speaker 2: They didn't have to see it because it was a blowout. They weren't in it.
Speaker 4: I mean, they kept occasionally getting it down to like, you know, fifteen or something, and there's no shame in losing the way they lost. But like I just can you imagine had it not been a blowout where Kentucky's losing and yet it's close and everybody's on the edge of their seat, it would have been a huge win for them obviously because Auburn is the best team in the country, and like, imagine if the game played out that way and nobody got to see it, like it would be all anybody around here would be talking about, and there would probably be more, you know, and by the way, maybe maybe there has been apologies about the issues, but from what it sounds like, I mean, it was either an it was either a UK issued or where they had some kind of a fire that was caused by I don't know what that led to that truck losing power, or maybe it was an act of God, and you know, sometimes those kind of things happened. But in a way, it kind of feels like Kentucky fans were given a blessing because even if you wanted it, like to me, if my team's getting blown out, I I know some people can I can't just turn it off, Like I can't not watch my team, especially if like I'm into it now, if it's like a Louisville Kenny Paine team, that's different. But like if Louisville was to play on Saturday and somehow like they're losing and it looks bad, like I can't not watch it, I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't watching it, But Kentucky fans had no choice if they weren't there because it wasn't available to watch it. In a way, it probably made that a little bit better for you to deal with. So again I keep saying, imagine what if it was a close game and none of their fans got to see them potentially pull off like a big time easily be the biggest win of Pope's tenure thus far. And again I keep saying.
Speaker 2: What if.
Speaker 4: I don't know what, I don't know what would have happened, but I just know it wouldn't have been something people just accepted kind of the way they did this time around. Like Allstin, I know you were busy on Saturday doing your thing, but like when Kentucky fans can't watch their game, you would think that they're really upset. But like at that point, it was late, it was mid second half ish, I guess, and like they just you know, like they probably were like, Okay, well, I guess this is probably good because we probably don't we don't we actually don't want to watch it. Yeah, but they ended up getting you know, And again, I think most teams that play Auburn right now, are probably gonna end up losing, and it won't be close because I think Auburn's that good. But one thing I will say, though, is that for Kentucky, you know, Jeni Broom didn't have a field goal in the first half, and in fact, I mean, he didn't really do much to you, and yet it didn't really matter. I think one that speaks to how good Auburn is overall. But also, you know, I think you know, for Kentucky, they're just you didn't you kind of really don't know what you're gonna get with them.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've they've had performances where you feel.
Speaker 4: Like, uh oh, maybe their best basketball was a couple of months ago. But then they'll come out and win a game you didn't expect him to win. All right, quick break will come back on the other side. Wrap up at three o'clock hour. A lot more to get to, including the NFL Combine has concluded, and the Tyler Shuck LoveFest continues as well.
Speaker 2: So again, stick with us. We'll say keyptil six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. Text line is the ln N Federal Credit Union Tax Line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety this tech says Nick, Well, I don't agree with you at all when it comes to this team looking winded. I do think there's value in having a couple of close games late just to see what they do when they're not blowing somebody out.
Speaker 2: Totally agree, Totally agree. I mean, you don't mean if you have the option to.
Speaker 4: Win without you know, fans nearly having a heart attack, when without you having to really kind of grind it out and you win because you're just better and you've created so much separation to where it really isn't close down the stretch. I mean, that's a good thing, but that's that's a tough ask, right. I Mean, Pittsburgh's got players too, right, Like teams aren't just going to roll over, so sometimes you end you.
Speaker 2: End up having to kind of of, you know, grind it out.
Speaker 4: And you had to do it more so on the road in Blacksburg last week than you did on Saturday at home against Pitt. But still you had to make some winning plays late, you had to make some free throws, and.
Speaker 2: Getting that repetition is good. I mean, I guess if.
Speaker 4: Louill would have rolled through, which to be honest, again, it's silly to say the fact that they haven't blown everybody out that like people should be worried or like not happy. I think fans are understandably over the moon with how good this team really, how good this season has been so far. But if they would have beat Virginia Tech by twenty, beat Pitt by you know, close to that, that really wouldn't have been a shocker, and we you know, we'd be feeling great, but we wouldn't have had that experience to see this team, you know what they I mean, it's not us, we're fans, We have no impact on the game, but you know, these guys were in some late crunch time situations to where you know, they had they had to execute. And I really think, you know, against Pitt, you were you know, you never really mean, you never really like let the It wasn't as if I never felt like Louisville was gonna lose that game. I just you know, and Honestly, Chucky's six threes. It's nice to have a guy that can do that. It's not something you can ever just expect to happen because it'll probably never happen again. But I think that that messed with my psyche as a fan because I'm thinking, how can he how can he score eighteen consecutive points on his own and Louisville not have a bigger cushion. But that's probably just you know, my mind went there because I saw something you typically don't see, like a guy scoring eighteen straight points on six straight threes.
Speaker 2: So therefore I just was thinking, well, we should be up thirty.
Speaker 4: But in the end, Louisll led by six at half, won the second half by five. The lead change did happen six times, but you know, Louisville led for thirty two and a half minutes.
Speaker 2: Of that game. But it was the Virginia Tech game.
Speaker 4: I feel like that really was a test as far as Okay, everybody on the floor for Louisville knows tonight's not been their night, but they've not let it impact them to where they're still locked in making big plays defensively, forcing turnovers. I mean, some big threes made by by Fat and a big bucket late by James Scott.
Speaker 2: So again, you don't want to be in that situation, but hey, there's.
Speaker 4: Value if you end up there and you do get some real reps as far as closing out of game late, where the last few possessions, Man, that's going to decide who wins and who loses. It's fun blowing teams out. That was a lot of fun, right seeing this Louisville team just beat the brakes off some teams in the ACC. But with that, you know, you didn't really get chances to kind of see what this team can do late, And yeah, I guess that's a good way to kind of spin it back around to where, Yeah, I still think this team looks a little bit winded. You know, the defense just hasn't been as.
Speaker 2: Sharp.
Speaker 4: But maybe that's not just because they're a little bit winded. Maybe that's because, you know, Pittsburgh's got some good players too, which I.
Speaker 2: Believe that I said it last week.
Speaker 4: I tried not to be too repetitive, but like, Pittsburgh shouldn't be in the position they're in. They have players that I think, you know, again, there's no way to say this without it sounding like I'm just blaming it all on Cable.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is the head coach. He's responsible.
Speaker 4: But Pitt has players to where they should be a tournament team, and they're not the only act.
Speaker 2: They're not the only a SEC team I would say that about though, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: All right, quick break, two more hours left and a lot more to get into, so make sure you guys stick with us. It's a Monday recap in the weekend as we're here March, folks, just one week left in the regular season. In fact, we have some conference tournaments going on this week from the mid major leagues, which is always exciting.
Speaker 2: So stick with us.
Speaker 4: We got two more hours left here on a Monday coffee and company Fildbeth Thornton's on Sports Talks seven to ninety