Speaker 1: This is the JB and Sandy Show podcast. You can listen live every morning on one of three point one in Austin, or stream the show on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What is cool?
Speaker 3: Well, apparently someone did a little study and they figured out six things make you cool. But we'll disagree with those because cool is very subjective and what's cool in one place is not always cool in another. We'll get to it in a sec that JB I thought of you. JB's always trying different kinds of waters and stuff. Right if you settled on it. It's always got something new that he's drinking, and that's fine, is it?
Speaker 2: Are you a water? I'm not drinking a new flavor. That's funny you said that. What do you have?
Speaker 4: It's the Whole Foods three sixty five. It's their brand, but it's strawberry, basil mint, sparkling water.
Speaker 2: Is it delightful and refreshing? It's very good, especially in the summer. You know, there's recommend it.
Speaker 3: What I want to tell you about that I really really like and our daughter likes too.
Speaker 2: Brainwater. Have you ever heard of it? Brainwater? Brainwater? Brainwater?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because there's a brand, there's a brand out of Austin called rainwater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I've not had brainwater. So Brainwater Start also has another part of their thing. They're inn Austin company brain Juice, and they were kind of like the little five hour energy shots, but they weren't the five hour energy. Now they've rowed into too brain water and they make like an active one, a calming one, several different kinds and they're great. No sugar in them. They're not a monster energy drink, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't even think I've seen that on the shelves anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you probably, I've seen the little ones, not the brain water itself. But I ordered some our daughters going to camp at the end of the week and she had one, and she's like, please, please, please, will you get me some brainwaters to take the camp. Tricia hates that I did it for, but I did.
Speaker 5: I hate it that Landry is going to be the kid that shows up to camp with their own special water supply.
Speaker 2: She's going to be that.
Speaker 5: She made it seem like all the counselors do. Absolutely not. She flim flams you. What you got here is a flim flam sandy. She just wanted some brainwater. She tricks me a lot, man, she does trick you a lot. You gotta sharpen it up a little bit. Okay, can I see it? I sit here on Amazon because I haven't seen in the store. But yeah, there's a there's a calm one.
Speaker 3: Active one. There's a bunch of them. They're good, interesting, they're really a.
Speaker 2: Little bit of Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's some vitamin B B six B five, vitamin C.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a bunch of good stuff for you. Yeah, and there supports dopamine. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's local lost in company too. They've been around for a while, so give it a shot. I got Landry, I think a sixteen pack of them, and it was not cheap.
Speaker 2: Tell you.
Speaker 3: That was thirty five dollars for a sixteen pack, which is just kind of hard to swallow.
Speaker 2: See what I did there, I did hard to swallow.
Speaker 3: All right, let's quickly go through these six things that somebody says make you cool. Then we're going to discuss what is cool in Austin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So just so you know, this was a big sett It wasn't just a few people, six thousand people and a dozen different countries around the world. And here are the six traits that they say are fairly universal to determine if you're cool or not. The first one is being extroverted, next one being adventurous, open to new things, trying new things. Open is another one meaning like chatty, willing to share, not like closed off. I would imagine kind of like being introverted. Autonomous meaning you're fairly independent, don't need somebody to do it for you. Hedonistic meaning you're fine with doing things that make you happy, like things like self care, kind of issue and powerful, a powerful person.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how that got physically or powerful and like business.
Speaker 5: Confident, don't let people issue around is what they how they defined powerful.
Speaker 3: So that's different for every single person listening. And how many boxes you you check off right there? But you know what's cool? You know what's cool in one city. It's very city to city of what's cool, you know, and if you've lived in different cities you immediately pick up on that, Like I spent a year in Cincinnati, and what's cool in Austin is not cool in Cincinnati, And what's cool in Cincinnati is not cool in Austin.
Speaker 4: What's what's cool in LA We would probably hate, we'd throw up about you a long time Austin night, right. I mean I just think if you just moved here, just just try to try to blend La stuff, right.
Speaker 6: The flash of La does is not cool in Austin. Right, Yeah, it's just blinging and showy. Right, So what is It's weird Austin's changing.
Speaker 4: It's what used to make Austin cool was that I don't care attitude. Yeah, it was like this slacker thing that they literally made a movie about it. Just that's what used to be cool. You know, you could you could go to Jeffrey's and flip flops. Yes, I wouldn't do that today, right.
Speaker 2: But I did back then. Yeah, you know, back in twenty years ago, you would.
Speaker 5: Like the cool thing was to not get dressed up. It was to be nicely dressed down and you could wear jeans and flip flops to almost anything. And now I feel like it's this is more of it's turning into everything's fancy again.
Speaker 3: It was a very very much it was a very kind of like Austin was. Maybe it still is, but a very person like you could do your own thing and no one cared about you. Why you're freak, Yeah exactly. Yeah, you could why you're freak flag proudly and what was great is no one else cared. That was what was That was what the old term, which I think has played out, keep Austin weird as that.
Speaker 4: Was what was weird is like, I mean it was normal to see an old guy on a bike sicle in a thong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it, Like that was curious.
Speaker 4: There's a regular day in Austin, like, and that doesn't happen much anymore.
Speaker 3: No, because somebody would call the cops, you know, right, That's and that's what it used to not be.
Speaker 2: You could do anything, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody'd be like, they're not dressed appropriately And I had that child in my car who saw them walking down Barton Springs. Yeah, shut up. That used to be what was so fun about Austin, right right.
Speaker 5: And it's part of the reason people wanted to move to Austin, because Austin was different and weird. But now so many people are here, the weirds getting pushed out.
Speaker 4: But I'll tell you this, we don't we don't want to be Portland weird. No no, no, oh god no no, they take it too far.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 3: The whole the criminalizing of hard drugs didn't.
Speaker 2: Go so well. Yeah, that experiment was not great. Not I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: That not a great idea. And I refuse to watch Portlandia. Have any of you ever watched that? No?
Speaker 4: I tried to watch it because I like Fred Armison a lot. I think he's brilliant. But that is a funny sketch. It doesn't sustain for a whole show. That's a great point. Great point, So what else do you know? Go ahead to be sorry, Yeah, no, it's all I mean. Being cool in Austin today, what is it?
Speaker 3: I mean, we're not out and about like we were when we were in our thirties, you know, our late twenties. But I don't even know what's cool in Austin anymore. I'm still sticking with nineteen ninety nine cool.
Speaker 4: I guess I am too, because like I like to hang out on South Congress and I hang out at the coffee shop or whatever. It's good people watching, it's fun, But it's the it's the people who aren't trying hard that are cool to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that are cool to us. Yeah, people who are trying hard. I feel like it's the fitness trend remember we were talking about those Saturday morning running the parties instead of going out Friday night with friends. It's it's I feel like everybody's jumping on what the new flashes in Austin, which is not what used to happen. People just did their own thing, and some people would try the new trends.
Speaker 2: Now, what's the newest trend? Is it cold plunging and talking about cold friends? Guilty, guilty, I'm guilty?
Speaker 3: Is it pickleball and talking about Okay, that's a great point, guys, that's a great point because I think what used to be really cool in Austin, and I think all three of us are the same.
Speaker 7: We don't chase trends, never did, right, yeh, that's a good way to describe being cool. Austin did not chase trends back in the day. Maybe it does now, I don't know.
Speaker 5: But Christober cool enough to do any of the trends, and ever was whether it was some sort of activity or whether it was a clothing trend. I was like, I don't think. I don't think I can do that. I think I look ridiculous. I just did my own thing up there you go, thing, you fit right?
Speaker 2: In Hey. Thank you very much for listening.
Speaker 3: Make sure you listen to the radio every morning two six until ten on Austin's eighty station, what Oh three point one