Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games.
Speaker 1: Taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life.
Speaker 2: We saw your depends on.
Speaker 3: How much you want, and now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 1: Dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode. As you know, we have one goal here on the Auction Brief, and that is to help all of you win more titles. And one of the ways that we do that is by bringing the best and brightest minds in the fantasy community on here from my weekly disc Dicussions with Drew. These conversations are there to help you with the most difficult fantasy situations you're going to face in your drafts this summer. Let's not delay. Let's get right to this week's guest on another installment of Discussions with Drew.
Speaker 4: Time for Discussions with Drew, in depth conversations with the brightest minds in the fantasy industry.
Speaker 2: Welcome into this week's discussions with Drew. Our guest for you this week is John Dagel from Established the Run, and of course wanted to make sure and mentioned Emmy Award winner FSWA Award winner. This guy is always here to bring us not only good fantasy football information, but plenty of energy. Happens to be one of my good friends too, that I got to play little cards with last weekend. So welcome to the show, John, Thank you so much for making the time for us.
Speaker 3: Funny you say energy, because that's how I actually sign off all my professional emails as well. I started doing it in college because it caught everyone's attention, but it also fits my personality to be energetically Comma, John Dagel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that, and every time I've had you on, you do bring the energy and of course excellent fantasy takes as well. So you happened to have the honor of running the anchor leg for the auction brief this summer. You are the final guests that we're on for the summer, so hey, no pressure, I know you can bring it, but yeah, so I when I saw you this past weekend. Of course, we never get enough time to hang out together. But we did spend quite a bit of time at a small stakes cash game together. That was a lot of fun. But boy, was at a mess, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: You Let me tell everyone quickly though, how good of a person you are to your friends, because it was the kind of game where if you really wanted to run it, you could. But given the circumstances of some people around us, sometimes they had a little more confidence than they'd usually have, and they would go in to reraise you, and you would be such a good friend. You would literally push their chips back to them and say, just call, because you knew you beat them, and you knew the plane they are on at three in the morning. So yes, I want to give I want to tip my hat to you, because you were the one who was really helping everyone out.
Speaker 2: I think, I said. I remember one particular pot where I just kept saying, just call, man, just call.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say the person, but I remember also seeing the hamsterbill in his head, and you said, Nope, just call.
Speaker 1: Don't don't do what you're thinking right now.
Speaker 2: I remember that, and it's so funny that you say that now, because I until you said that, I didn't remember, and I think I did it a couple of times. But yeah, that was I mean it was fun. And look, I had already made some money and we're The goal was not to go in there and fleece everybody who'd had a few too many to drink. It was just have a good time. So and I had a blast. I felt a little bit bad that the whole crew wasn't at one table, but hey, you know it is a busy is a busy card game there, so.
Speaker 1: The whole cruise in one garage. That's what matters.
Speaker 3: We were all within distance to pat each other on the back and yell at each other, and you know, make sure if there's a beer run, grab that for the other person.
Speaker 1: So it was good.
Speaker 2: The bush Light, Apple boil per Ian hard It's yeah, great table, great, that was a lot of fun. That was a lot of fun. I can't wait till next year already. But well, hey, we're in the thick of it now in NFL training camps and preseason and I can't even believe real football is on the TV. So let's talk about some of this stuff. And last week's show, I did a little bit of a training camp hype talk with our prior guests, but today I just want to hit some sticky situations with you because I always respect your takes on things like this. So I'm going to hit some stuff that, frankly is stuff I'm wondering about. And the one thing that I saw yesterday on Twitter and I tweeted out, this is going to change Jaden Reid's ADP by about three rounds. But somebody tweeted out that Jaden Reid is going to be the guy that's playing in two wide receiver sets, and I thought, boy, okay, if we had all suspected this or thought this through the whole offseason, I think Reid's price would be completely different today. Same with Matthew Golden, although his price has just never really been that high. What do you think is going on in Green Bay with two wide receiver sets? Do you buy this that we're going to see more Jayden Reid this year on the field?
Speaker 3: I do buy it, if only because we did lose both Romeo Dubs and Dontavian Wicks, who are not only target earners but also route eaters, and that's kind of been the problem for Jaden Reid. Just six routes from two wide receiver sets the last two years literally can't get on the field whenever the Packers have two or fewer wide receivers in their personnel. But now it is simply and strictly a three man rotation between Christian Watson, Jaden Reed, and Matthew Golden. One of my most i'll say polarizing, the best tweets, by the way, I don't know if you know this, but the most viral, The best tweets are when you don't even have an opinion, literally just put the facts out there, the data, and they kind of speak for themselves. And I put out the tweet last year that, like going all the way back to high school, I showed Matthew Golden's target shares and he had never reached seventeen percent in any season.
Speaker 1: He just can't earn targets.
Speaker 3: But last year that was a sixth seventh round cost right, so he was just an easy player of fade. He obviously failed to earn targets unsurprisingly as a rookie with the Packers, got drafted in the first round solely because of his forty times, which happens a lot unfortunately, and then it takes a few years to develop. But this year, because we don't hate players, we hate ADP, this year Golden's going much further despite having less competition.
Speaker 1: Maybe he still can't.
Speaker 3: Earn targets as a sophomore, but the fact is he will logically get more opportunity because there's less competition. So I kind of want to gobble all these players up, quite honestly. Christian Watson, out of all players wide receivers tight ends the board, finished fifth and yards per rout run when he was healthy, and last year set career highs and yards per route run.
Speaker 1: And targets per route run.
Speaker 3: So on a per route basis, when he's on the field, all he does is earn targets. And we're talking about that kind of profile being drafted around DJ Moore and Carnell Tape for example, when I'm gonna make the Christian Watson Betton home leagues ten out of ten times. So Watson's been a target for me in that range, especially since we lost Ricky Piersall for example, who I also wanted to take pieces of. Then for Jayden Reid, like I said, all it's ever been is can you get on the field, can you play in three wide receiver sets because when he's allowed to, we know he can. For example, when he was on the field last year with Jordan Love, it was only seventy five routes, right because there were just so many times where Jordan Love was on and they instead only used Watson, dubs and Golden.
Speaker 1: But seventy five.
Speaker 3: Plays last year with Jordan Love and Reid led the team with a twenty three percent target share. This is just the kind of player I want to bet on again in his range, given the other dead zone. It's not the dead zone, but given the running backs that are being taken there mid round tight ends, which we know are not a good bet historically, I want to take Jayden Reid and again since Matthew Golden Ulto falls, I just want all these guys right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I've been surprised that Golden's ADP hasn't been higher, even like seeing them trim their wide receiver treat and then see Matthew Golden languishing there despite everyone's optimism last year. It's been a little bit odd to me. But gosh, this Jaden Reid stuff. I have always been a read guy. The fact that we're hearing this news right now, I haven't really taken very many shots on them, and now I'm upset about that because I'm thinking that it's going to be a mistake that I've made to this point. But hopefully we can rectify that. So but hey, by the way, I love the point you made about Golden and his target share. He's just never been a high target earner and that just gives me pause. It makes me think, what is it that he does that makes him somebody that never can earn a twenty percent target share? I don't do we have any insight into why that is.
Speaker 3: No, it's perhaps the route tree he had at Texas.
Speaker 1: It could be a lot of things.
Speaker 3: But we see this from a lot of players, and again Taekwon Thornton's one that comes to mind. Other individuals that just run fast forties in their draft capital is not dictative of the kind of player they are, which we're always more skeptical about wide receivers than running backs. Since the last decade, actually draft capital has decided has been thirty three percent of a running backs fantasy points in year one. Basically, just going early tells you like a third of the time this player's probably going to hit and then we can just.
Speaker 1: Base how we draft them on adplan. It's kind of the argument too.
Speaker 3: It's not the same thing, but Dayson Stribbling is like the trend right now. He's the hot news because he was the first player taken on Day two, number thirty three overall pick. The runway is kind of being clear of Ricky Pearsall now officially out for the season. Christian Kirk also dealing with an injury, but days On Stribbling and his loan his only in final year in the SEC. Last season just a fourteen point nine percent target share. Having said that, it is a different offense that Kyle Shanahan really elevates players. I believe Juwan, Jennings, piersall these guys are very talented, but I also believe Kyle Shanahan runs them open despite their talent and just makes them better. Whereas like Matthew Golden, it's not that in the Packers offense. Even his loan play in the playoffs against the Bears, it was a screen, right, they just got in the ball. They could have done that throughout the season that probably would have helped him. So I still like Stribbling, who goes much later to given the path, but he's not going to be asked to earn targets the same way as Golden was as a rookie.
Speaker 2: Well, I always enjoy having you on for exactly this reason. This conversation about the packers is fascinating to me. Let's hit another topic that it's fascinating in that I'm not seeing as much discussion about this as I thought I would. I kind of feel like I'm shouting into the wind a little bit about Quinn Shawn Judkins and Cam Scattaboo because they both suffered fairly devastating leg injuries last year. I think we can probably agree that Scataboo's was a degree worse than Judkins. Am I crazy to think that we need to have more caution about these guys and their leg injuries and how they're going to perform in year end plus one after suffering the injury? Although I will say that I'm not seeing an ADP that I thought I could see, because there are some people out there who obviously have reservations keeping their ADP depressed a little bit. What do you think about the injury and where they're being priced right now?
Speaker 3: Is it fair It's a hard conversation because we don't know the extent of medical updates in the past couple of years. Because historically we've bet on the player who will come back from injury and then help us in the second half of the season. But that's not the case because there's usually a slow ramp up time and really just inefficiency. Ryan Heath oer at fantasy points. I've mentioned them on so many shows I've been on this offseason because he's doing incredible work. But even he had mentioned that the foremost recent players to return from fibula fractures, which includes Kim Scataboo and Quinchawn Jenkins this year, they've averaged six point seven fewer fantasy points per game when they return that season. So that's kind of the outlook I have. Having said that, given what both Judkins and Scataboo showed us last season, I do think their ADPs are not good but fair. You mentioned that word, and I'm glad you used it because there can be gray in this conversation.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be black and white.
Speaker 3: When when they fall at their current ADPs, I don't mind taking them as long.
Speaker 1: As the Great Wall of Wide receivers.
Speaker 3: As I'm dubbing it is still not there because I do want to leave the second or third to sixth and seventh round with three to four wide receivers, because that entire group all the way from you know, Luther Burden to when it starts at DeVonta Smith, there's eleven guys there. Christian Watson and I already talked about that I really want, and so I made Nitpick juckets in Skataboo around them. Skataboo was a top six back who led his team in touches, showed a high target sharre in yards per route run as a.
Speaker 1: Receiver as well whenever he was healthy.
Speaker 3: J Justkins we saw even Todd Munkin has said this offseason can be a three down back within this offense. We're really questioning the quarterback play there because I trust Monkin, I trust the pace and the ball you were going to get. I'm just not sure of the inefficiency of the targets that are going to happen similar to a Bryce Young lead offense and really dampen the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Of everyone here.
Speaker 3: But at the right adp yes, I'm still comfortable with Skataboo and Junkins and just crossing my fingers that I do not understand the advancements of medicals just yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely fair, And I love that that we don't have enough gray in our conversation sometimes. So I really like that because the people, at least I know that listen to my show, They're not looking for declarative statements and the conversation is what they're looking for. So I appreciate that, and it gives me some good perspective on those two guys, because I really have had trouble pulling the trigger on either one of them, and I think, as you allude to, the ADPs are fair and because of that, I look at them like, Okay, that's fine, but I'd rather have X, Y or Z when it gets to that point. So okay, let's move the focus down to New Orleans. And another conversation that I'm a little surprised we're not having more of right now is what the effect of Alvin Kamara hanging around in New Orleans is going to have on Travis etn. You know, he started out the off season as somebody that I was pretty excited about the landing spot, and they obviously made it a priority to go down or to go to Jacksonville and grab him. But Camara's hanging around. We know he's good catching the ball. Should we be more concerned about Kamara nerfing Etn's upside in the receiving game.
Speaker 3: It's a tough conversation because on one hand, I do think Etn is in a great situation. The Saints aren't offense in general that I'm betting on. We already saw Kellen Moore in year one second in the league in pace, first in time between snaps, So we're going to get that volume. And that was with an offense that with Tyler Schuck. Think about after they traded Rashid Shaheed. He's simply staring around at chris A lav de bond Vailey for a time and Juwan Johnson at the last month of the season, we're rotating because Alvin Kamara was already injured, Devin Neil and Odrick Estimate. Now you look around at everything here and we're talking about Jordan Tyson, who led this class and being targeted on thirty one percent of his routes across from chrysal Lava multiple tight end sets. Since the auser also added some draft capital and veteran assistance with Noah Fant and Oscar Delp. Travis Etn now to play ahead of Alvin Kamaras. So already the upgrades when you zoom out, and remember that the Saints went five to one and increased to tenth in yards per play when Tyler Schuck was under center with more with that worst surrounding cast, and he has this year. It's an offensive team I want to be high on. I even have bets, for whatever it's worth, on them winning the NFC South this season. So I like the overall environment and that's the case I'm making four Travis Etn since coaches have trusted him historically. He's handled two hundred ninety six plus touches and two of the last three seasons. Also, the Jaguars offensive line last year finished twenty fifth and yards before contact per carry, which means that's an offensive line stat every time Basil Tooton and Travis et And touched the ball, they basically got wrecked behind the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: I'm expecting much better.
Speaker 3: Than that, especially since Brandon thorn Over at established the run, does all this deep offensive line work, and he ranked their line this year or fifth overall, So I am excited for ETN. Now I said it was a tough conversation. So let me also say the way I'm drafting does not lend itself unfortunately a lot of the time to Javonte Williams, Kira Williams, Travis Etn, that group of players Josh Jacobs included. And that's just because of the structure of how drafting has worked. The last couple of years, running backs have stayed healthy, right, so it's unsurprising to learn that the top twelve running backs in points per game the last two seasons, only one Javonte Williams last year in the eighth round. Only one has been drafted outside the top three rounds. So ADP has been pretty correct the last couple of seasons on the top twelve running backs.
Speaker 1: But the dead zone the.
Speaker 3: RB thirteen through twenty four, so RB two we start weekly. They have actually averaged a sixth round ADP the last two seasons. And that's simply saying it's not like a player take on Travis et and Javonte william Kyle Williams, the list go on. It's about telling ourselves and showing the data that we can match their hit rates where they're being drafted with running backs from the sixth round on this year, like those targets for me include like David Montgomery, Jalen Warren, Jonathan Brooks. That's an entirely different player discussion, but I'm betting I can match Travis Eten's hit rate later on, and I'm instead looking at elite tight end like Brock Bowers in the second round over that group of guys in home leagues where running backs are going to go much higher. Typically, I'm looking at that great wall of wide receivers I talked about and coming away with three or four of them. I'm staring at Jalen Hurts in the same round as Chubabber. These are just bets I would much rather make than that group of running backs. Thus, the long winded way to answer your question is, Unfortunately, although I like Eten's outlook, I'm probably just not going to have much of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and That's where I've been finding myself is Initially I was pretty excited, but then it's tempered a little bit, and RB eighteen doesn't feel crazy, but I just don't find myself clicking the button there very often.
Speaker 3: I sat down with our friend jaj Zacharies on his show, and like Javonti Williams right last year was the RB twelve and points per game, but he was drafting the eighth round. That's kind of like what we're telling ourselves with Jalen Warren and Jonathan Brooks this year.
Speaker 1: Whereas if you draft the.
Speaker 3: RB twelve and points per game in the third round this year, that's like touching yourself and telling your friends you had sex, like it doesn't matter, Like you're not doing anything at all. And so the point is you are not winning if you draft the RB twelve as the RB twelve, that.
Speaker 1: Is not how you win Fantasy football. Rats on your floor.
Speaker 3: But what if a Mecca Buca outscores Jackson with and Jigba, which is in his range of outcomes, Like we kind of saw that right within the first six weeks whenever the Bucks were healthy, Lad mcconkee getting Mike McDaniels. Those are the kind of bets I kind of want to make and instead saying Javonta Williams, I will match you because I back and find that hit rate later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and congrats on all the sacks too, So yeah, I'm gonna clip that one. I'm gonna this is what it's like around the poker table, by the way, folk, Yeah, I'm going to clip that one up. That's going on Twitter. Just kidding. Okay, you mentioned David Montgomery, and that's somebody I want to talk about next. I wonder a little bit also on this one. Why he's not shooting up draft boards. Not that I'm the biggest David Montgomery stand, just that I'm a little surprised with the runway that he has to produce as a fantasy asset. Why he's still languishing there at the bottom of RB two territory. And you know, it's a role that we've seen in the past with Joe Mixon be very successful. He's kind of got the backfield to himself, although he doesn't I understand we've got some Woody Mark's issues here, although I'm not a Woody Marks guy, but you know, falling into the end zone quite a few times. They've got a really good defense that allows the running game to continue to stay relevant in most of their games. So what is it about David Montgomery? Am I missing something? Why aren't people more interested in him this year?
Speaker 3: I actually get being somewhat down on him when we're talking about the arch types of players we chase just because he does lack the receiving profile. But I do want to, you know, establish a run. We always say in the slack, we just say IKB whenever we nudge projections, which is I know better.
Speaker 1: I want to I know better this situation because we.
Speaker 3: See it coming and I don't want to be behind on it, especially at his current fifth through seventh round cost. For example, to add context to your Joe Mixon reference, the Texans traded a seventh round pick for Joe Mixon, gave him twenty touches per game. He finished at the RB nine at points per game. Right, they gave a fourth and a seventh for some more capital for David Montgomery. Not only that, but like the additions that the Texans made and showing us what they want to be multi tight end sets running the ball heavily. The additions they made that include Ed Ingram for thirty six million. I believe it was in their offensive line. They added Trip Brown at tackle. They drafted Kaylin Rudgs starting center in the first round. Brown and Ingram in particular, whenever they were signed Pro Football Focus noted that those were graded as the two best GAT blocking GAT blockers a should say at their.
Speaker 1: Position in free agency.
Speaker 3: And what's funny is that then I went to FT and Fantasy our friends over there with Jet Ratcliffe Andrew Mackins. The list goes on because they have a great data suite. And if you look at David Montgomery and gat blocking last year, he averaged five point seven yards per carry, So I kind of want to zoom out and say, like, I know he has not been a great receiver, especially when not getting that role behind Jamior Gibbs, but also I know if there's one skeleton key, there really isn't. But if there is one skeleton key in fantasy football, it is touches and projecting for touches and everything shows us this guy is gonna get twenty four touches per game. So even if it's eighty yards and a couple touchdowns per week, you better buckle up because it's something you have to have. So I personally like David Montgomery him to baseil toutin. I already talked about Warren Jonathan Brooks. The way I'm drafting this year just kind of lends itself where those are naturally going to be my RB twos after a hero RB build.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I want to talk about Beasehall Tutan because the steam certainly seems to be continuing with the talk on Twitter, and I know that we live in a bit of a bubble there talking to all the analysts all the time, going on each other's shows, and so the Teuton steam seems to be real. What do you feel about him right now? He's still fairly affordable at RB twenty five, but you know these days fourth round to get him, you know, maybe fifth, But what do you think about Tuton's price? But also how do you feel he's set up in Jacksonville this year?
Speaker 1: And Best Ball?
Speaker 3: If you want to poke holes and draft Chris Rodriguez, I get it, because floors matter. You can't take zero's in best Ball. That's the agreeious mistake everyone makes. But in season long, all we care about is upside, and so of course we should then care about and take a swing on quite literally the most athletic running back in Combine history before or Mike Washington tested for this year's class. As I already mentioned, the Jags were one of the worst teams in the league. In creating gaps and allowing their running backs to get hit behind the line of scrimmage consistently. Having said that, Basil Tutons still finished sixth in success rate among all running backs and converted four of his six carries into touchdowns inside the five yard line. They're running backs, actually, it's a skill who just can't convert inside the goal line for whatever reason. You wouldn't think so of a Nick Chubb is historically like one of the worst running backs at that where we got goal line carries, it was ne good Basil Tutons so far, it's very early one year into his career, but has shown he can be trusted at the goal line too. So I just like everything about his profile quant honestly at his cause. So regardless of if it misses, I am not going to be upset if it does, because this is the.
Speaker 1: Kind of player I want to bet on historically anyhow, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think that's a perfect way to end it with Tuton is it doesn't matter if we miss These are the kinds of bets we make, and that's the kind of pro file that we're looking for. And I believe that if I remember right, Liam Cohen has even made a comment about Tuton's ability at the goal line and about his short yardedge ability already this summer, so that should give us even more confidence there.
Speaker 1: I do want to note for everyone listening though, that we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: We are hoping Chris Rodriguez has a bigger role in the first month because if no one's noticed this Jaguars schedule, it's gonna cause some changes. This is also why I'm drafting like Travis Hunter in the fourth round. It's inconsequential to who cares. He's probably a guy we're gonna drop anyways.
Speaker 1: But in six of their first seven.
Speaker 3: Games the Jaguars play the Browns, Broncos, Patriots, Eagles, and Texans like there's going to be most likely unless Cohen is an absolute true Sean mcfay genius, and that's possibly is it's what he was in year one, but against that schedule, most likely it's going to lead to some rotations and changes just to figure some things out as Trevor Lawrence struggles. That's also why I'm not really drafting Trevor law Lawrence. Love him, but you're going to get a chance in week six or seven to trade for him very very low, and so I've kind of been in one quarterback league suggesting everyone do not draft Trevor Lawrence. Actually just take a shot on a rushing quarterback like Jackson Dart or brock Party in that range instead. But yeah, it might be ugly start for Bachel Tooton, but again it's a bet I want to make, and we know the window. Then a month and a half later, we can still trade low for him.
Speaker 2: Excellent little nugget there.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: All right. So we've hit some situations here that I've been wondering about. I want to talk. I want to play a fun little game of what I call this or that with some ADP guys. But before I do that, one of the things that I try to hit on every year is that as fantasy managers, we have this tendency to completely dismiss certain offenses every year. And I don't think that's a bad idea from the standpoint that we need to know who's going to be a productive offense because we want players on good offenses, But we seem to miss on one or two offenses every year that outproduce what we think they're going to do. Do you have an offensive mind that everyone's kind of shoving to the bottom third of the league and saying they're not going to be very good, but you think might surprise us.
Speaker 3: I can't necessarily say the Raiders because brock Bowers are at to Ashton genty possibly go at the first second round turn. The Chargers are the hottest team on the block, so can't suggest them. We all know they're going to absolutely explodeunder Mike McDaniel this year. So the one that I keep coming back to that people are not catching on, probably because of their disdain and having these players either last year or the last few years, are the Vikings. But we need everyone to catch up and catch up in ADP, JJ McCarthy last year ranked forty first in on target rate, which was which finished forty fifth or forty first out of forty fifth among quarterbacks with one hundred drumpbacks, whereas Kyler Murray finished sixteenth in that stat and delivering more catchable targets justin Jefferson and finished with the career low in points per game because he also had a.
Speaker 1: Career low and catchable target rate.
Speaker 3: Think about what Kevin O'Connell has done with everyone around JJ McCarthy, including Nick Mullins Josh Dobbs, he's turned them into elite fantasy quarterbacks or four hundred yard passers in Mullen's case. JJ McCarthy is the only one that hasn't been incapable of having any success. So if we get even league average Kyler Murray, it's going to elevate everyone substantially. And so I think personally, justin Jefferson and PPR leagues is my one oh six over Christian McCaffrey because I just want to be higher on the Vikings offense. I think in one quarterback leagues, if you missed the boat, even though quarterbacks are going so late, like I already talked about the running backs that are going in Jalen Hurts and Jane Daniels range, so it's easy to go elite quarterback. But I also really don't mind waiting until the last couple of rounds and getting both Kyler Murray and Malik Willis and just streaming them in one Quarterback League two. The fact is like the Vikings are going to be entirely different this season, and ADP unlike the Eagles players the Chargers players, it's not reflecting it for Minnesota.
Speaker 2: All right, I like it. I like it. Okay, let's play a fun little game here, and then I'm gonna let you go with a couple of targets and fades. But this is a game, like I said, I called this or that because all of these guys I'm going to ask you about. I've got six situations, three running back situations, three wide receiver situations. Who are you clicking on when it gets to you? Now, you don't have to. I understand that when we play best ball, we try to diversify, we try to make different clicks. And also I understand that there may be players in this range that you would rather have. But for the purpose of this exercise, you're not allowed to draft anybody else. And we're playing for a redraft situation for one shot at it here. This is not a best ball situation. So the first one I want to ask about is James Cook versus Ashton Genty. Who is it for?
Speaker 3: You? Love both of them, but I'm personally going to go Ashton Genty, which I know is yes, yeah, well no, no, no, it's the minority answer.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. I'm in an island here, and I love James Cook. That's fine.
Speaker 3: I actually have them in redraft tiers. I have him the same tier I do Cook as Christian McCaffrey and Jonathan Taylor because that's the range of outcomes for James Cook. I have Genty a tier below with Saquon Barkley only because you can get them in home leagues at the first second round turn. Even though I do think Saquon Barkley can easily outscore Christian McCaffrey this year, but again we're only talking about these two players, and so I'm betting on Ashton Genty this season. Last year, the Raiders scored eighty percent of their touchdowns through the air, and over the last decade, none of the teams that have scored eighty percent of their touchdowns have been able to eclipse that mark the following season, and that regression has led to a lot of meandering for running backs the following year. If you logically do the study and think about, well, if we think the offense is going to score more rushing touchdowns, the running back probably succeeded and ended up being like if you look at the study, I have it on Twitter. I'm not going to sit all the names here ended up being a lot of like Javonte Williams right where it's like RB sixteen finishes the RB twelve, the RB eighteen finishes the RB twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Lots of meandering, but the hits not the misses. The hits were massive.
Speaker 3: It led to such situations such as Orleans Darkwall, who went undrafted in twenty seventeen for the Giants only to finishes the RB forty in points per game, and then James Robinson in twenty twenty three, who finishes the overall RB seven despite being like a twelfth round on selection in home leagues. And so Ashton Genty, like I talked about, already being drafted at the first second round turn, maybe goes a little bit more later than that if your home league, like thinks the Raiders are going to be the same unit this year. But Genty's a player I absolutely want to bet on this season.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah, I like Cook more. But again we're splitting here is here that's the point of exercise. So all right, the next one is you know I'm hearing through the discussion already. You don't have a lot of these guys anyway, But who do you want between Javonte Williams and Kirene Williams.
Speaker 3: It's actually Javonte Williams for me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Kyen Willias really quick.
Speaker 3: So historically we know Sean mcfay has leaned on one running back and we've always got by with those touches. Sean mcvay's offense has never been one that targets his running back, so we don't really get targets, but we always got a workhorse. And again, if there's any skeleton key for running backs and fans football, it's just projecting and getting touches, because then you can counter even inefficiency if you fall forward for a touchdown very easily.
Speaker 1: You gotta get touches.
Speaker 3: Kyle Williams last year was at seventy four percent of the team's backfield touches before their by and then from week seven on he went all the way down to sixty sixteen percent if you include I'm sorry, sixty percent, not sixteen if you include the postseason, So a fourteen percent drop, and that's because Blake Korum was just a better player who deserved more touches. Only Devon h Chan actually finished with a higher rate of ten yard carries than Blake Korum. So if we're talking about a more explosive back now who already showed for the second half of the season, he was going to get more touches and eat into Kyron Williams' share. We're talking about someone who goes four to six rounds later in coreum that could also lead the team in touches, which makes it hard to draft Klin Williams around Javonte Williams range. So I'm not going to have any Klon Williams. Actually, I'd rather just play it through the passing game for Javonte. It's interesting too, though, because maybe more carries and a heavier running offense happens. They have elite talent through Dak Prescott in the passing game, so it probably continues that route. But the Cowboys defense is not going to be.
Speaker 1: The same as last year.
Speaker 3: We are talking about Caleb Downs, who was rumored to be the best defensive player in the entire draft, potentially also a chess piece like Kyle Hamilton who can move around and cover both tight ends and wide receivers. Whenever they acquired Quinn Williams in the second half of the season, whenever he played, they were one of the league's top three run defenses teams. They finally became a funnel well where teams had to pass on them because teams could not do both, whereas before Williams was added, they could just run and pass on them. And so I do wonder if we're going to get tighter game scripts or more Cowboys leads and not trailing, which would be then good for Javonte Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that comment about the Dallas defense because I do think we're going to see something different there, So it is a consideration. Let's flip over to the wide receivers for a minute. I've been struggling with Drake London, and the narrative I've been running with over the past week is maybe we're not concerned enough about the situation in Atlanta with both of their starting quarterbacks currently hurt and having a long history of being hurt. So when I'm looking at Drake London in that second round, I'm also looking at AJ Brown and I just can't seem to click on London. What do you think about Brown versus London On a.
Speaker 3: Per rop basis, London was amazing and that's why he's my pick over Aj Brown.
Speaker 1: Again we're nitpicking.
Speaker 3: I even think in the rankings I have them back to back. But before week eleven, whenever he suffered a season anything injury, London was targeted on thirty one percent of the route so sixth in the entire league, for a twenty eight percent target share which finished seventh and forty percent of his team's air yards. A guy who can both play intermediate from the slot or get downfilled and win. So I'm going to take Drake London a J. Brown, still an elite talent who's in a more crowded wide receiver tree, or at least we can say it is solely Drake London and Kyle Pits. Perhaps Zachariah Branch breaks out, that wouldn't be too shocking. But also I do wonder if Branch even has a full route tree. He led this class in his career rate of targets that came on screens. Just an explosive guy. You want to get more involved closer to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: So I personally like London.
Speaker 3: The indoor environments should help out as well. I think it's at least it's eleven game it's eleven or thirteen. I think it's eleven games indoors with the Falcons considering this, Saints are also obviously a dome.
Speaker 2: All righty, let me stick with the wide receivers here, And this is an interesting one for me because I have just never been a Za Flowers guy, but there seems to be some real conversation about how he's going to look in a different offense. And frankly, we understand there's not a lot of target competition there either at the wide receiver spot, although he I argue with this as a Hoosier fan that they've got a pretty good receiver and Elijah through out there. But that aside. What do we think about Zay Flowers this year? And specifically I'm going to put him against DeVante Smith because I'm pretty excited about Davonte Smith. What do you think about these two? Who are you clicking on between those guys?
Speaker 3: I'm going to say positive things about both players, and I want both, so I will tell you I have DeVonta Smith and a whole tier ahead of Zay Flowers, so that answers your question. But now I'm going to say the positive things about both player because I think both have promising outlooks.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty six for the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Baltimore averaged twenty four point eight pass attempts last year, which was the second fewest of the last decade, and the six teams to average twenty seven attempts or fewer in the last decade, they increase their passes per game by six point one the following year. So I just naturally think we're going to get more volume due to regression for Baltimore's passing game. Not only that, but Jay Flowers has never seen because of the target tree he was previously afforded under his past play callers. Three seasons in the league, He's never seen more than seven end zone targets. He's just never been used like that style of player that had the ceiling of like a Monron Saint Brown. Let's say, because he's not used in the red zone, that's never his route tree. That could change, though, given we're getting both a head coaching and offensive coordinator change. So due to volume and squinting to see a different route path. I like Zay Flowers a lot, but DeVonta Smith when we talk about offenses we're betting on the Eagles are also the one outside of the vikings that everyone should ignore Kevin Patulo last.
Speaker 1: Year and the.
Speaker 3: Incredibly incorrect position he put all his elite talent in. So let's start quickly with aj Brown.
Speaker 1: Off the field.
Speaker 3: DeVonta Smith has run one hundred and fifty nine routes over the past two years, and he was targeted on thirty nine percent of them, for a forty nine percent target share That is obviously too good to translate. DeVonta Smith is not going to end with a forty percent target shore this year, let alone forty nine percent before even talking about getting to the twenty eight to thirty percent range in which our threshold is. Then literally seven out of ten times you are a top twelve wide receiver. DeVonta Smith is the one who's the real value here. Not to mention Sean Mannion coming in entirely different play caller who all the right things has been said both from him and the team in working under him so far, to the point even where last year the Eagles working from under center, which allows right for more play action, it just allows you to do so many more different things. On offense, the Eagles passed the ball from under center forty seven times, which was the third lowest rate, third lowest amount in the league. Their first play reportedly out of camp was literally under center twelve personnel toss to Saquon Barkley. What you saw last year is going to be entirely different this season with still I know we lost a j Brown, but with still elite talent considering we're talking about one more like last Hurrah, similar to Christian McCaffrey last year for Saquon Barkley, Jalen Hurts coming off a career low end scramble rate and carries per game, that's going to increase under Sean Mannion McKay lemon, first round wide receiver who also, unlike Lad McConkie and Jackson's in the jigball won from out wide when he wasn't playing the slot at usc three point five yards per out run from outwide for McKay lemon. I don't think people understand the talent and Eli Stowers and mckaye lemon that the Eagles have. With the new play calling, that's going to translate and make them all great bets on their ADPs, including DeVonta Smith.
Speaker 2: My King's Classic team loves hearing that because I took sa kwon Barkley and the auctions my first one, and really it's our buddy Brian Drake has been sounding the alarm on the Eagles offense that this is going to be a new look and that we maybe are underestimating a little bit of what they can do. So all right, love that breakdown, and I love the poll on when AJ Brown's off the field. Obviously we're not going to see those lofty numbers, but Boyle boy, I don't think it's crazy to think that he's going to pull twenty eight to thirty percent. DeVante Smith and in that new new look offense, I'm hearing all the right things there in Philadelphia. Okay, let's move on, because we're getting too close to the end. I've got a heart out here to actually you know that, No, bro, Bro, those are not rambles, by the way, I want to clarify. Those are action, actionable, information packed answers. And we love it. I love it, My my listeners love it. You're a popular guest on the show, and I I just have a day job, so you know, I got to get to that at some point, but I want to hear from you. It's one of my favorite things to do and one of the things that my audience likes. Give me a couple guys. I mean, we've talked about a lot of guys. So if you have a repeat here, no big deal, but two guys that you're targeting this summer and two guys that you're fading, you can't seem to click the button on.
Speaker 3: Let's go with the fades first off, because they are based on ranges. Like when people talk about the big one is Tyler Warren, just because think about where he's going. Pull up ADPC for yourself and you miss out on the wide receivers we've already talked about, say Flowers, Lad McConkie, Mecca Buka if you want running backs in that range, Facial two, David Montgomery if you want to lead quarterback in that range, Lamar Jackson, Jaden Daniels, Jalen Hurts. All these players I've mentioned like have potential still to finish with higher ADPs. And the case of the quarterbacks and the wide receivers, wouldn't be shocking if one finishes top three, top four, wouldn't be shocking if either Hurts, Jackson or Daniels finishes the overall QB one over Josh Allen. But the fact is all of them are being drafted around Tyler Warren when, as we know historically, mid round tight end is the worst possible bet you can make at a onesie position in a home league. We know we can instead wait, similar to our approach last year with Jake Ferguson, Dallas Goddard, Tucker Kraft, Juwan Johnson, and Harold fannin off waiver wire, we can find and duplicate mid round tight end points. It's the most volatile and easiest position possible to just mimic on the back end for inconsequential picks.
Speaker 1: You can't do that when you're drafting Tyler Warren around those individuals.
Speaker 3: So whereas everyone will go on social media and argue for Tyler Warren against other tight ends, I am here arguing against Tyler Warren because of actually because of then, when you're taking this into your practice and your drafts, you just can't get him logically and reasonably. So I do not like drafting Tyler Warren. I will easily make the same argument for Chuba Hubbard, who even when we saw last year when Rico Daudle became Walter Payton for two games, Chewba Hubbard came back and was strictly in a committee, not even as a team's pass catching back. So what are we expecting now from Chewba Hubbard for him to be, you know, a receiver around Jonathan Brooks, who you know, we have a very limited sample of the last couple of years, the last few times we saw him, but he was still targeted on thirty percent of his routes. He's a guy who did play on passing downs, and he's going to go a few rounds ahead of Brooks in your home league. It's not best ball, adp but also best ball is Sharper right now that the guys who show up and read a magazine in your league. So I think Chuba Hubbard is also that's also going around elite players that I just can't ever find myself drafting, even though these are two players that everyone wants and talks about.
Speaker 2: I have zero percent Chuba Hubbard right now. I think the only way he makes sense is in really deep leagues, maybe like The King's Classic, where you need those plotters, you need those between the twenty grinders that are cheap boption point two. Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, Okay, give me a couple of guys you're targeting, oh.
Speaker 3: So many Saquon Barkley second round again that it's really screams first round value. And just you ignore last year, same thing happened for Christian mccarccaffrey. Right, Sakon Barkley has four and eighty two touches two years ago. You can nitpick them easily in the first round last year, since we already foresaw that ADP first round last year was the most accurate we've ever seen it be. So it's easy to start saying, I have to poke holes in someone here, and I want to poke holes in the guy who's upside I question. Sekon Barkley then average literally seven point seven fewer points per game as the RB fourteen last year, whereas this year, I'm betting on that bounce back given his inefficient that he did not reach that workload. Whereas Christian McCaffrey had the tenth most touches of the twenty first century. I'm betting against Christian McCaffrey this season, similar to betting against Barkley last year. So love second round Saquon Barkley. All the wide receivers I talked about, but If we're talking about which ones I'm coming away with more, it's Lad maconkie is a very big one who I think will follow in your home leagues as well, given last year's circumstances. But also for McConkie, Mike McDaniels led the league in their rate of dropbacks that include in motion sixty nine percent of his plays during his four year stint with the Dolphins, and mconkie's average a twenty three percent target share for motion since entering the league the last couple of years. For reference, that twenty three percent target share, it practically mirrors what he averaged as a rookie when everyone was drafting him much earlier during last year's offseason at this time, so I really just think we're going right back to, you know, that rookie season fifteen points per game, better than that in a more efficient offense as opposed to last year's finish with just eleven point three points per game. So I also love Lad McConkie. And then the late round guys for everyone I talked about are Jonathan Brooks for sure, you know, for everything I just mentioned over Chewba Hubbard because I do believe it's inconsequential for late round tight ends if you're waiting on it. I like Isaiah Likely, who with Malik Neighbors basically in a ramp up period and it's wide open behind Neighbors. That's how we those last round options that can then mimic the mid round tight ends like Tyler Warre and Harold Fannin on a name basis, in a rankings and projections basis, of course they can't, but structurally that's how we win. And Isaiah Likely is an athlete who has really no target target competition for wide receiver one and two. Same thing for Chicka con Quo. So Chicka cong Quo finished tenth and miss missed forced tackles, missed per catch, last year athlete, no target competition. I want those two guys to then match Warren Fannin and then for a late round running back I've been taking. I mentioned Jonathan Brooks, oh the two rookies Jonah Coleman and Nick Singleton, it's not really catching on their profiles or what they do because their last round stashes. It's probably going to be a longer time for Nick Singleton to hit. But the fact that Tony Poler's yards per route run has decreased for three consecutive seasons, whereas Nick Singleton one point five yards per out run in each of the last three seasons in college a double digit target share in both of his last two seasons at Penn State.
Speaker 1: That's great, Jonah Coleman.
Speaker 3: If you look at early breakout age, six point eight yards per carry insane at only twenty years old, not to mention he also was a receiving back and three do workhorse eighty catches on ninety targets the past couple of years. So yes, I like Jonah Coleman given that he also the Broncos gave him more draft capital than an RJ.
Speaker 1: Harvey.
Speaker 2: Well, folks, they don't pay him the big bucks. They don't hand out Emmys to guys who I'm sorry we said this off air and I'm just giving my friend a little bit of shit here because Deegel is a fantastic fantasy analyst, good dude, and I consider him to be one of my close friends as well. So thank you so much for the time. You want to plug real quick where people can find your work.
Speaker 3: Right now established the run and it's that time of the year.
Speaker 1: Everything's coming out including.
Speaker 3: Three shows per week the free podcast and YouTube feed. We just did a twelve team home league mock with the entire Established to Run crew where it's nothing but arguable because we all come at this so differently, including some of the strategies I've talked about throughout this show. So please go watch that video if you want to see Silva struggle the work sleeper, which is always a great time. Not to mention all the team previews and then the redraftiers and rankings and articles I Established the Run.
Speaker 2: Right now, Okay, all right, well, hey, this has been a lot of fun. I really appreciate the time, and you know you crushed it like always, so a lot of actionable information for the listeners. So thank you again to John Dagel from Established the Run. It's been another excellent dis question with Drew. Thanks for joining us. All right, that's going to wrap up another week of discussions with Drew as we strive to talk with the smartest people in the business every single week. Don't forget to tune in Thursday morning for my solo time and the auction brief. Mike, thank you so much for joining us this week. I'll talk to you real soon. The Auction Brief is adjourned.
Speaker 4: The Auction Brief is a journ that'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction Brief