Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a special episode a Full Circle the Podcast. I am your host, Martha Madrigal, and.
Speaker 2: I am your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: Our guest today is becoming one of my favorite writers, just in terms of clarity and the message that he sends. Doctor Gregory King holds his doctorate an inter Professional Leadership from ken State University, an MFA and Choreographic Practice and Theory from Southern Methodist University, a certification in Arts and Culture Strategy from the University of Pennsylvania School of Good Policy and Practice, and I'm going to point out for purposes of this discussion. He also spent seven years on Broadway and The Lion King. He is currently the director of Education and Research at Support Black Theater in Los Angeles. Please welcome to the Full Circle Table, Doctor Gregory King.
Speaker 3: Hello there. Do we have many applauses like hands capping or something we can do that, Charles, Martha.
Speaker 1: I just want to get it on the record because I talked about it in our last episode. We had tickets to go see Cats the Gelica Ball. Charles has wanted to see this show since we heard about it in pre production.
Speaker 2: Right, and I was just like, oh my goodness, there is going to be a version of Cats that is like set against the backdrop of ballroom. I might add actually like Cats, right, And you know, everyone who we knew was saying, this is just something you've never seen.
Speaker 1: This is brilliant. This takes this musical we all love to hate and turns it into something special. And then the announcement and it had been extended into January. You know, it was doing.
Speaker 2: Well, which made perfect sense to me.
Speaker 1: What three Tony Awards, I think? And then you know the news comes through. August eighth is the last performance, and a lot of white folks have things to say about this, but you wrote a brilliant piece. I read it. I said to Charles, this is where we need to talk. This is the conversation that needs to be had. And I'm just thrilled that you made the time to talk to us about this whole thing. So hey, I'm gonna shut up.
Speaker 3: No, this is great, and thank you. Thank you for the email, Charles, Thank you for inviting me to share your space. Thank you for reading my work and engaging with it in such a profound way. I think language matters. I think words are important. They shape your thoughts, I believe, and they can have that impact. And I want to share the story with how I became a writer. What drew me to this idea of using words to tell stories. I was in grad school at SMU as you as you laid out earlier, and I wasn't dance history. It was my second year, and we talked about the contributions of black folks to dance in three classes, two years of dance history. The course was called dance history, this all encompassing term dance history, and they talked about the contributions of people who look like me in three classes. And I realized that there's something missing in this teaching learning environment. There was something missing. There was something missing in who was teaching it, there was something missing in what was being taught. There was something missing in how the thing was being taught. And so I became an educator out of necessity, right. I wanted to plant myself in the retelling of histories so that they can become multifaceted, multisourced, multi dimensional to all the people who will be receiving these histories. In the same vein, I became a writer because there were stories that needed to be told, right, true stories, multiple stories, stories of interiority, and they were missing. And so when I became a dance writer dance critic, it started with me seeing shows and reviewing them and I'm using air quotes on the review because you know, what exactly is the review? Right? And I've been having this conversation with this idea of criticism. When you critique something, what should be told? What is left? What's the residue? And of course, through teaching, through choreographing, through writing, you realize that there is some power in certain things. When you stand in front of the room, as a teacher, you have power. So what you say matters, how you teach, matters, who you touch me, like, all of those things matter. As a writer, you also have power. What you say matters, right, And so I came from this history of this lineage of reading reviews that would make or break an artist, make or break a creative, and I didn't want to contribute to that. That that energy, that atmosphere, that that that that the thing that that would make or break something someone should not be my responsibility. And so I took a step back, and I realized that I wanted to write about how what was happening on stage reflected contemporary society. I didn't care how your legs went. I didn't care many turns you did. I wanted to know how what was on stage, how reflected blackness, how it reflected queerness, how it reflected ableism, and or was having conversations around that, how it gave insight to classism. I wanted to see if I was reflected on what was on stage, And so I became a writer for that reason, so much so that I told my editor that I only wanted to go to shows that were in non traditional spaces, right. I didn't want to go see another nutcracker? Who does? Who needs to see another nutcracker? I'm good, right? And so I wanted to see the shows that were not getting funded. I want to see the works of people who were, you know, rubbing two pennies together to make something happen, having a performance in their in their living room, something happening in the pool. I wanted to see how people were thinking and reviving things. So, and this is the inenter point to what I'm talking about with cats. When we think and talk about revivals, black queer people have been doing this idea of reviving, breathing life into something for centuries. Right, And so when black queer people put their their creative energy together and say let's let's revive Cats, I just knew it was gonna be brilliant. But this brilliant, right, But this brilliant. We're talking about how they rebuilt grammar. Right, they rebuilt the grammar from the original Cats into a black queer ballroom aesthetic of vocabulary of nuances. And we we when we see it, there is a side that happens because we didn't have to show up and ask for excuses and asked to be excused and ask for permission. We showed up and we were accepted. And that's the beautiful part of what Cats was able to do.
Speaker 2: I was saying, like the there was so much like the way the way it came across. It was accessible to everyone, air quotes on everyone. But there was that shorthand that if you knew ballroom, if you were a black or brown queer person, you you caught some things that might have gone over a lot of people's head. Like my favorite favorite moment that or at least it's the one that keeps coming back to me. Is that one moment when the commentator he's walking and he has the wings and he gets chopped and the other character comes up behind me goes, I thought that was kind. I I lost my ship. I lost my ship. Come like that is a sentence you have never heard uttered on a Broadway stage before this moment. Please and thank you.
Speaker 3: I am getting goosebumps as I hear you talk through this, because there is something about legibility that has to be addressed right when you get it, but it doesn't have to be translated. There is an ease and an acquiesce that happens, right, I hear something that happens in my everyday life. Which is why I do believe, which is why I do believe there is a distance, that there is a disconnect sometimes for certain audiences to be able to tap in one. They're not that curious, they're not that curious, they don't want to know they there is, I believe, right, And these are all my thoughts coming coming to fruition and so hearing a language, a dialect that is spoken on stage, something that I use on a daily basis, it makes me go, that's a version of who I am that is, but I also asked the question the same question as I sip, step away or not, the same question, an additional question, do I need that kind of validation? What about? And of course representation matters, but I'm asking you do it because there's something about it that's validating.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, unfortunately, I believe the validation comes in a way because we're asking whiteness to validate us in certain spheres. We're asking whiteness to validate us. And while I don't believe we need it, I do believe it needs to be shown.
Speaker 1: You know, I love the way that you uh described your writing because you're talking about your you know, your lens. Yes, and it's never been more important, and language has never been more important. Yeah, we are alive at a time when the world is upside down, and so are the words M and I. Just what resonated with me was the way that I have fat in training after training that was supposed to tell people about transsness, and you know where I was interested enough I wound up teaching the damn class because we're not doing a great job. There was a moment in the show, you know, with Grizabella and Syllabab. I was already crying and i started to bawl, you know, because I've spent the last six years with young trans people, and with me in the theater was the trans mentor that I have worked beside that entire time with young trans people, and the moment between Grizabella and Phyllibub spoke to me in ways that just reached down and I was sobbing. There is a connection between trans people, and there is a connection you know when it were we learned from one another. You know, I've set on panels talking about intergenerational activism and the way that we do need to be and I say, please do listen to you know what I've picked up in the course of my life. Please please hear it and then throw it away and decide how you're going to proceed. Sure, but you know where the youth and the energy of Phylliba. You know, he had reached out to Grizabella and touched her and she kind of came back to life, and there was that moment where his energy touched her. And that is what this is about. I mean, the work with young people, whether I work with young trans people, and that work when I see folks finally see themselves and understand themselves, and it is just as healing for me and I sobbed all the way through it. And you know, Chastity more happened to be standing or approach as we were standing backstage waiting to meet Andre and Elizabeth, and I got to have a conversation with her about that moment, about those two cast members and the relationship that they have, and you know, off stage, it's very much the connection that we saw on stage. It was transformative. I don't know how much of the audience even caught sure that level, but and and there were more. I mean, I think you started Charles started crying during Jellical Cats in the beginning until you stop Untilia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my experience of the show when something like this let okat sobbing and then that was it for the entire for.
Speaker 3: The I love this idea of two people strangers whoever I was, teacher, student, a mentor, mentee, employee, employee, when they meet connected, right, that that thing that fuse that happens. I'm also interested in what led to this moment, right, And it's always something that I'm asking I try my hardest, which is why when I write, I'm always trying to be introspective. I'm always sure. You know, we can meet and we can go have a drink, we can have dinner, we can have a happy conversation, hug and call today. But I'm also interested in how you got to this moment because it helps me to identify the energy with which I am engaging. It helps me to understand a mindset with which I'm engaging. And I am telling you right now, i am not interested in spanking white people and I'm not interested. I will not make space for anyone or anything that is not a reflection of goodness. I can't do it. I can't do it, and so I have a short fuse for anything that is racist, homophobic, head of a sexism, transphobic, xenophobic, fat phobia. I don't want to do it. And so whenever, yes, we can come, you can stand in my face and we can have a conversation, we can dappen. But the minute I sense, smell or sniff anything that leans into oppression, it's something that doesn't work for me. And so we have to talk about this idea and now asked this earlier, this idea of validation, and do we want to be validated. We are broadway. They're working within a white atmosphere, a white environment that a white history, a white paradigm, right white context, to white lenses, the white funders. These are things that are true and real, not in a negative way, it's just the reality. We have to be honest and real about not only our experiences, but the people who are making decisions about black permanence, a black queer permanence, right about black queer permanence. There are white people making these decisions, and we have to start having these honest conversations.
Speaker 2: This is true, This is true. And you know, I've noticed there are individuals like RuPaul for instance, who I know was a producer for Strange Loop, Like there are these moments where notable black people are in that seat. But then I'm like, how much of it is to preserve promote and how much of it is Oh, let me get in on this from the ground floor and get some of that money. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I'm rocking back and forth, and rocking for me is calming, but it's also where it's also that feeling of oh, yes, I'm feeling it right, I'm about to like do a little hyah bacha linta. But but I will say there is there's so many questions and if we if we get to the root and or that the sweet spot of honesty, then I think we can move in the right direction. And I'm not hearing the truth. I am not hearing the truth because if we as a collective decide, okay, we're gonna do this thing, We're gonna revive cats and it's going to be you know, Harlem, you know, drag culture, balls and blackness and queerness is going to be ignited and augmented and amplified. What does it look like to take it from a reading to a production? What does it look like to go from a reading to a five year run? What will it.
Speaker 2: Take right because it's.
Speaker 3: Going to take a different kind of engine? And are we willing to commit? And it's the same questions I ask institutions and organizations who have been you know, I'm sure they've shifted now since they have to, they have to, But since they started this whole idea of DEI or this this drive towards DEI, how many organizations and institutions were fully committed to ensuring that their mission and their actions are in alignment with supporting the very people that they say they care about. What does that look like? Because I guarantee you me going up for tenure as a black pear man looked very different than a white professor going up for tenure. So I'm asking the institution, when was the last time you took a black faculty member on a tenure track from assistant professor all the way through their tenure line to associate professor with tenure? When was the last time we did that? And I'm going to ask the same question to the Broadway League, right, maybe even to equity, When was the last time you took black creatives with a new idea, this idea of new work, right? When did you invest enough to take it to full production and you committed to ensuring that it got a three year run? When was the last time?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: When was the last time?
Speaker 2: I ever since Porgy and Bess? Right, wow, m And don't get me started on that bullshit.
Speaker 3: And we do have to ask who are the people betting against blackness? Who are the people maybe not betting against, but not betting for. Who are the people now investing in telling black squeer stories?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? Because we know, you know, perhaps they weren't making over a million dollars a week, but I don't think they've made under eighty eight thousand or whatever this entire time. And what I really want, at least to be part of this conversation, perhaps not even the most interesting part is you know, where have we let something ride? Because you reference it in the piece and the article which we will link to when the ball ends early, which you wrote, is up on substack. But you allude to that idea, like we know that some have coasted, they have been given. I believe you said grace, and I think that's the perfect word, and you know exactly this conversation is leading there. In order to offer grace, especially in this high stakes game, I suppose one has to feel that grace somewhere inside, right, they have to be connected to the work, and I think we're seeing what happens when they're not. So yeah, yeah, and yet it's a transformative piece and it's fun. It is not you know, there were so many themes, and there were so but it's also you know, I left with joy, right, yeah, and I left having experienced joy.
Speaker 2: I left changed and how I walked in I just know I did.
Speaker 1: I had, Hey, yeah, a whole lot of white people that are very invested in costuming and everything else out in the audience. So yeah, how come five months? How come?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We have to ask the question with producers and I get it. Capitalism sucks. I do get that. Yeah, something that we're all and it's something that we're constantly engaging with, this idea of how do I make back my money? Is that the core? Is that the center of your value system?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I don't know. We're going to ask these questions because I do believe, and it's really easy for me to align this conversation to hire ed it really is, because it's in lots of ways. It's similar. You say, you want to hire these people who are going to do these things. Will this person coming in to advocate for black faculty or to advocate for a faculty member to get ten and promotion? Will this person have access to a team or the systems that's going to make it easy for that person to do their job? Right, I'm going to invest a million dollars into this project. It can stop there right right? Who are the people going on the airwaves and on TV to promote this show? What does what does what does marketing and publicity look like? Where that do we do? We have a thing where we go from different borrows like it cannot look like the tradition. We have to take a step back and be creative problem solvers. If you know that something maintained, then what's your backup plan? And how are you putting something into the engine to ensure that it lasts and do the thing that you say you wanted to do. What if you said, Okay, we're going to do this Broadway run something has ever been done. We're gonna, you know, take it, take it, take it a step further, and we're going to do five weeks in Manhattan or five months in Manhattan on Broadway on forty eighth Street, whatever, and then we're going to clock up shop and then we're gonna go to Queen's and we're gonna rent out this the armory and do it. Do it five months there. So this idea of it moving from places to places to make it a little bit more accessible to different communities. I don't know. I'm just talking of the top of my head right now. Right how do we take this thing? Now? What becomes a thing that's traveling. It's been marketed differently. People are now hearing about it. It's now a buzz, it's not being written about it. There we have to if we approach this thing with the same resources that we do the white legacy productions, it's down to fail. It's bound to fail. I cannot teach my black students the same way I teach my white students, right, Okay, because of that, it's really important.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Martha, Oh, absolutely true, you know, And I'm I put it through the only lens that I have professionally as a trans person in the workforce. And you know, the question that's sort of burning as you talk is I have encountered this idea where okay, they said they wanted to do the thing, Well, we did it. We did it. It's done now. For whatever reason, you know, I built a program that won two awards inside of two years, to social Innovation awards by every metric. You know, we were in the black when we shouldn't have been. And this is mental health and addiction. And yet the grant went away, program went away. You know a little bit more to it. But sometimes I feel like it's, well, we want to do this thing to say we did the thing right, because people will stop talking about it, so we can stop investing energy here because through that white lens it becomes problematic. We went through the.
Speaker 2: Doing the thing, but that is when I have the thing right.
Speaker 1: Through that heteronormative lens. We gave you Tranny's air and space. Long enough, we did it. Well, you know it got a little more expensive, so sorry, and it can be in academy. I spent twelve years there in theater, in the arts and in the workplace. You know, one champion can get a lot done. That one champion goes away and everybody else goes well, that wasn't mind thing right, listen, and then here we are help. How far back do we go? Listening?
Speaker 3: There was a story, there was a there was some research done within the film industry and they were talking about I think it was a craft institute from Darkmouth, and they did this research around why is it that black black shows are not getting produced? And the conversation can lean to the answer being producers. White producers were saying that black stories, black shows don't sell, especially overseas. Oh it doesn't sell, but that's not true, and that's not how much how much did sinners make how much? What can the forever make? How much of Black Panther make right? So it's not that it doesn't sell, there is something. There's a detachment from you. You don't want to right, You don't think that it's it's it's relevant, you don't find it valuable, you don't want to augment the voices of this this this demographic, and so you create a narrative around it to not allow it to live in its permanence.
Speaker 1: Mmmmmm hmmm. Yeah. There. If I'm working to save lives, you don't believe need to be saved in the first place.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly, exactly, And and the part of it has to do we have to start rewriting the story we as black people, we as black where people, and we're doing it. We're doing it fiercely. I believe that. And so you know, I'm always going to write hard for the black wear immigrant let's go, you know, but I do believe that we have to have the conversation and we have to a lot of times sit on the same stage and say you are not putting your money where your mouth is.
Speaker 2: Dang, yeah, yeah, because that takes the courage of your conviction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what does that look like? It is work. People do not want to do the work right when you hire me to become I don't know the dean of faculty. I want to ensure that faculty enjoy coming to work. I want to ensure that faculty work life balance is centered. I want to ensure that everyone that you hire on a tenure track eventually gets tenure, not may get tenure. No, you already saw their CV. You know that they're tenure worthy. So what kind of support are we putting into the engine to ensure and to secure their tenure. You don't go, Okay, this person might get tenure, let's hire them and then we'll see where it lands. And that's why I think producers are looking at creative projects.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, No, it's and by that example, it's you know, dangling one carrot above everyone's head, you know, as opposed to you know, carrots for everyone, which is you know how it should be. But you have the nerve to call your union equity and.
Speaker 4: Then you know what I mean? And I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's again it's that thing like Martha said, of uh, you want to be seen doing the work as opposed to doing the work you want to you we were seeing we put queer people, uh, queer black people in a queer black context on stage. But once it's no longer the cool new thing, once the new dun rubbed off it. As my father would say, you know then what which basically means once the white pop culture attention and span has found something else, then what how important is it now? And to whom?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, yeah, I think I think the conversations that are happening and should be happening, of course if has to move from conversation to action, right, And I do want to know what for the conversation? What did they look like? What that was happening in the room? Who who were the people at the table? What happened for you to pull the plug on a show that was, by all metrics that Martha say, doing well right relatively speaking? There may have been a dip at times, and there are other shows I'm probably not doing well. But what happened for you to go, oh, this is something that I am going to choose to not bet on.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, because I know that theater was full when we were there, and you know.
Speaker 3: So there's a market for it, right, There is a market for it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know if I've been to a show where there was that much energy in the audience with the fans clacking and people just engaged and to their feet and.
Speaker 3: Dancing when they're seeingcity for the theater it's in.
Speaker 1: Do you know thousand we did this? What is the eleven hundred and something?
Speaker 3: I think it was like eleven one hundred.
Speaker 2: What I read said something like twelve hundred to sixteen hundred, depending upon which ticket ticketing thing you were looking at.
Speaker 1: I thought it was more like eleven between eleven fifty and twelve thirty or something like that. It was a smaller is it one? Is it one of the smaller houses? I don't know about that. I feel like I've been in smaller theaters. I don't have the answer to that question.
Speaker 3: So I'm thinking, you know, as a producer, but also as an artist, if this wasn't doing well in a twelve hundred seat theater, was it? Was it that? Was it the conversation or could the conversation have gone hmmm? Can we take it to a small house to ensure that the overheads are not so, you know, so that we can ensure that the story stays and gets played and get seen and we make our money back. Because that's a part of the conversation. What was the conversation, Do we shift environment? Do we you know, rotate casts and bring in some names? Right, because that was also an option. I'm sure you could have brought in, you know, a few big names to get people and attract people. What was the conversation? Just now? We're good, right, right?
Speaker 1: Right? I can't imagine and we are likely to never know because you know, it's going to be the post mortem that we're going to hear about, and that I think is my frustration just in the news is like, well, now's when to fix it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: What needs fixing?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: What needs what needs reimagining?
Speaker 2: You know, like a teacher, we're moment.
Speaker 1: But again, are you looking at you know, preserving something worth preserving and make, you know, ensuring its legacy and it's it's time and existence, or are you looking at it like we did the thing? Sorry it didn't work. That was fun, because that's what I'm hearing. Sorry, sorry it it just didn't work. What do you mean it didn't work? What does that look like?
Speaker 3: What does that look like? And of course I'm speculating, you know, because we weren't in on the conversation. But I'm voicing my frustration with the people who make the decisions to not take a step back and go, oh, this community, these people. These stories have not been main stories have not been amplified, stories have not been necessary stories. How do we change the narrative? How do we flip the script?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Because when people say things like black lives matter or trans lives matter, it's because at times we exist in spaces where it doesn't feel like it does.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You gave us a list of other examples of this happening. I have it in front of me. I mean, Ain't no Mo. Twenty two previews, twenty one performances closed, and.
Speaker 3: I must say, Ain't no Mo. That was after critics pick. So the people who are saying yay or nay were saying, go see this, and it's still closed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Cooper, who was the youngest Black American playwright in Broadway history at the time, launched a save Ain't No Mo campaign that drew Woopy Goldberg, Billy Porter, RuPaul in a while performance from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith. Producer Lee Daniels said the industry doesn't always embrace our stories, right yep? Yeah, A strange loop twenty twenty two, twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, which are still said, I missed.
Speaker 1: Thirteen previews and three hundred and one performances, won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and Tony for Best Musical.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: I also think about like Fat Fat Him, like Fat ham blew everyone away when it had its run in Philly, and then when it went to Broadway that just seemed like a natural progression. And then it started like racking up accolades on Broadway, and then it closed, and it's like, and you know, I don't I've only been to three Broadway shows on Broadway. I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of how all that works. So at first I was like, oh, I guess things just have a shelf life. And then I stopped and I was like, wait a minute, how long did Cats run? How long did Chicago run? How? You know what I'm saying? So the opera is that part, that part the things that when I hear.
Speaker 1: Where was liam Is at five months? I wonder, right, where was Phantom at five months?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I don't care if I ever say again it's especially fantas.
Speaker 2: There are shorter ways to kill yourself, right.
Speaker 1: You know there's a great line in Jeffrey that you know, lame is you know all that for toast like love the music, hate it? Yeah, but what are they in twenty five years or something? So? Yeah, where were they at the five month mark? Because that looks more expensive to produce, sure, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: And I you know, I don't. I don't know, and I don't want to pretend to know the math behind what's happening. I am literally talking about the sociology behind and the culture, the cultural appetite for the legacy pieces and or the new pieces. I've been having this conversation in LA around black theater and what stories need to be told, who gets to tell them? Why? You know, it's important for us to invest in black theater because I believe no one is coming to save us, and I know no one is coming to save us. And I don't know what that looks like in in in theory and actually in practice. I don't know what it looks like for us as black creatives to hold each other. I don't know what that looks like for us to put money into what we do so that we can benefit and get to see ourselves, which is why the last b ET Award was to me one of the best produced shows that I ever seen them do in a while. Right. It was so powerfully rich and satisfying. Right. The talent was there, the vibe was there, the energy was there, the community was there, the love was there. The joy that you speak of was true. It was present and almost you could. I watched it on the screen, so I couldn't touch it, but it was emanating through the screen. Right. I wanted to be there. And there's something that we do that know that nobody else does. Right, So I know that when black hands touch that thing, it's already magic when trans hands touched that thing, because you're talking about people who were told to, you know, make a dollar out of fifteen cents, right, and that is metaphoric. Right. While we survived ourselves in lots of ways. So I know when we think about our writing and our creative practices, it's going to show up. You can't tell me it doesn't show up.
Speaker 1: And it's I'm going to say it's a nuanced conversation, but it's not really. But you know that white lens does come in and say, well, what do you want because you don't want us involved in your ship, but you want us to support your shit. Right, But we hear it about that queer work, you know, and the ever present argument about, you know, should straight actors take gay roles? And I always give the same example, which was the whale boo Brendan Fraser, whatever gained weight, Warrifatsu did, did the thing. The performance was fine, it was whatever. But then he went on to say, this is my problem. He went on to say, this is not a gay story. This is a universal story.
Speaker 3: The fuck it is.
Speaker 1: The fuck it is how many straight people get fired from their job, lose their life because they're straight. Show me one and then you can tell me how universal the story is. That is a queer story, my friend. And the fact that you don't see it is exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's the minimizing that erases us.
Speaker 1: And then right, and then they say, well, what do you want?
Speaker 3: You know we gave.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't have been made without milk, wouldn't have been made without Sean ta Maybe I don't know. I don't know, but you don't you want to hear a little bit and you want the work, but there's such fragility in the conversation. Yeah, and then we're the ones who are insane, right, black brown transit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a different breed because I don't know how the pretense thing works. Right. If I am a part of a community, I want to walk in with transparency and trust and believe that, believe that when I say that I'm committed to something, that commitment is fully realize right. And so when we talk about inequality or inequity or lack of diversity and look and exclusion, we're talking about sometimes people making a deliberate effort to do the thing, but they're not saying it. And that is when I don't know how to engage because your actions are not matching your words, right, And your words are not matching your actions. So I don't know how to engage with this facade.
Speaker 1: Right. Did I say I'd figured it out? I haven't, not at all, not at all, right, right, And I think that is the only approach we can take. You know, as humans that you know are marginalized for whatever is I to show up in authenticity and to show up and my word is my bond, you know, my word, and we keep doing it, and we keep getting, you know, toward it in a different way.
Speaker 3: I hear you. This might be a little left field, but stay with me for a second. Absolutely, you know how, you know how sometimes and this is something I believe in. I was once on a search committee at my former institution and we were doing a search for one of the upper positions upper administration. And we had just hadn't done the first round of interviews, and it was a zoom interview and a white woman had just been interviewed, and a white woman serving on the committee, after the interview ended said to the committee members, I like her. She looks like me. Huh, hear me, hear me out. We're interviewing for a position, right, a dean, a VP, whatever it was, and the person interviewing, the person doing the you know, the person on the committee said, I like this person, this candidate. I like this candidate because she looks like me.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 3: Too often, when the people making the decisions are a certain thing psychologically and sociologically, I'm sure you are. You are, You're drawn to, you are in alignment with you find an affinity for the thing that looks familiar to you. Right, the thing that makes sense to you, the thing that looks like you. And I have no doubt. That is why it's easy when you have an all white jury and a black defendant for them to go guilty because there's a disconnect. They don't. But when they see the little white boy, little Roger, because he's our next door neighbor, right, he's my nephew, he's my son, it's easier to have grace for the thing that is familiar to you. And so even with funders, it's easy for them to fund, support, advocate for the stories that they live. The story is that they see themselves in. The story is that they value, maybe intentionally, maybe unintentionally, but it's worth talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But but I'm going to insert a question and going to take a quick break. They did They didn't revive. They've revived fucking cats, the whitest thing that ever went on to Broadway. That's what they revived. I mean they said, let le let me take that ship. I mean, this is like the Chilling's of Broadway. Let me take the worst of what you got and show you what is possible.
Speaker 5: Oh and yet I just want to leave that spot and will be right back.
Speaker 3: That's true though, right, yes.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, and we're back. Okay, you're like, what this is like break.
Speaker 3: Break? It was a good break yes.
Speaker 1: Backshew, Yeah, they did this with cats.
Speaker 2: The chip Lins Are Broadway might be the subtitle to this episode.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but know what you're saying. It is true like revivals, how many revivals have been literally cut and paste, right opening, Yeah, and these people went in and they said, let's you give me a six and I'm going to turn it into a twelve. That was a random analogy. And they did it with flair, with with with with glitter, with stories, with vulging, with duckwalks, with fancakes, with twirls, and the people loved it.
Speaker 2: And I and you know, none of the So I'm thinking about that production of Oklahoma. The revival of I.
Speaker 6: Was just that was just in my head as well, right where they didn't change a single line of dialogue for a song or a note of the music, but they changed the tone, the tonal approach to the work, and it became it went from being this like corny, like heel kicking.
Speaker 2: Musical to like this dark character study and that survived long enough to tour, and that looked like.
Speaker 1: A pretty big cast to that part lot. But it was. I mean, it was a brilliant retelling. It really was. I was very surprised that I liked it as much as I did. We took a group of twenty five transfolk to see it because there were two trans cast members. Oh yeah, entairly significant roles in the touring company, Sis who had been imposed.
Speaker 2: And Hennessey Winkler.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hennessee Winkler. Because representation matters. That got more time, didn't it. Yeah, I mean there was a chicken, a wheelchair and then there was like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh yeah, it had time whole major casting and and then do national tour.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize how dark that shit was until they just like showed you. Well, That's why I wanted to say, oh my god. But oh my god, I remember seeing this is a high school production with.
Speaker 2: That, right, and I was I was low key expecting, like I was. I was not surprised that they didn't change any of the music and cats, but I was also interesting sing if they did like add more of like ut you know to it? Well well, but and and they did add that layer, but onto the original score, And then part of me is like, what would have happened if they would have, like, you know, actually altered a note of Sir Lloyd Weber's creation, Like, you know, how much longer would it have run? I don't know. It's just interesting like when you when you reek, when you what's the word revive the sacred shows and you do something new to it, like how much how much reverence do people like approach it with? Like you know, oh my god, they did what to cats? You know, oh my god, they didn't what to Oklahoma?
Speaker 1: They made it good?
Speaker 3: Well? Also that more to the point for I do have a question that I want to ask both of you. If you had your choice off a revival or a new work, what would it be and why?
Speaker 2: Instinctively I want to say new work? Why because I always like to see new things and new ideas. But at the same time, I guess it depends on revival of what and who's doing what's done?
Speaker 1: Right? I feel like Broadway for many years now has been a regurgitation. Yes, more often than than you know, we keep taking things like well people like that, so let's just throw it on Broadway and see what happens, right, rather than you know, Hamilton showing up out of nowhere and being this entirely new way of telling a story.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I want to talk about Hamilton talk. I would ask a question only because it's something that I think about now that Linn Manuel has the juice?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Are people going because it's Linn Manuel? Or are they going because it's good and it's I'm not saying that it can't be both. I'm wondering if that's the thing, if you once you get the bug and you just start not rocking them out, you know, are people just going to show up and can you bet on that.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's because it's good.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, it is good, it is good. Or are you specifically still talking about Hamilton or just anything that?
Speaker 1: But he's done other things that aren't that didn't you know in the Heights, you know, well in the Okay.
Speaker 2: In its original run, like was there was nothing else like it?
Speaker 1: So that's true, you know.
Speaker 2: But I was going to say, like, I think it is a lot easier to bank on his name and reputation, but everything he's done has not been stellar, right, I mean, he doesn't do like he doesn't do bad like that's let's you know, be honest. He doesn't make things that aren't good, but some things are better than others.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's a hard question because we're talking about Broadway, right, and I mean we go to a lot of experimental theater. We go to a lot of you know, new work that in a fifty seat theater, and that's where those ideas park late and we've seen some excellent stuff.
Speaker 2: I guess it comes down to with the revival thing, like again, what is it and what is your approach to it? Like if you know, you said, oh, they're redoing Death of a Salesman, yond they are and.
Speaker 1: Right, people are I don't well going to see it? I don't care.
Speaker 2: Right, But if you say, like they're doing Death of a Salesman but it all women and it's in space, Okay, say more things, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? Right, and I would go no, still still a no.
Speaker 3: I mean for me, new revivals that feel like new works, like I love that. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It took someone my Elizabeth saying I went to see Oklahoma. It was fat, you know, the revival because when I first heard it, I went, why, no, no, no, this is something, this is incredible. Why And then she went and she said, oh, we're going right, we're going to see that. You have to see what they did. And she was right, she was right. I was blown away by this familiar old trait ish. What I thought was it is actually this very dark story and it was always there, was always right there. But you know, we get enough white people smiling. I guess everything looks like a picnic. I don't.
Speaker 2: That has layers.
Speaker 3: Well, that has many layers.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, So I'm interested in revival, but it just it just feels like it has become this great regurgitation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think too, that is very true.
Speaker 1: Which would you?
Speaker 3: I like them both. I like both because my entry into both would be what's new about it? Why is it necessary? And how is it was it saying about contemporary society. I am not interested in regurgitation. I'm just not. But I'm also interested in another layer of it, which is, what if money wasn't then what if money wasn't in the equation, if it wasn't a money thing, same money was not in the equation, I wonder would we see more new works because there is a betting issue, right. People want to be risk averse. I don't want to make I don't want to put money to something that I'm not sure I'm going to get back. But at some point. But you did it with Hamilton, right, You've done it with you did it with Casts initially, You've done it with In the Heights when when it did come out Lion King, there was nothing like it at the time, right. And so if money wasn't an op on the in the equation and or on the table, would we see more new works? And I'm really interested in that because when we think about the intergenerationality of it all, how are younger creatives being wooed into thinking about putting something new on the stage. They can see that it is actually beneficial to be smart thinkers, new thinkers, creative thinkers, because in their minds there going well, it's not going to last, or oh, they're going to put more money into something that they can bet on. I'm wondering ring, what's the conversation around young creatives feeling that there's a space for them to be new original? There's nothing original, but you know, you get the gist new in telling their stories.
Speaker 2: Well that's what made me go back to thinking about the strange loop, like that was that was a risk.
Speaker 3: It was, it was, it was. But I also have a theory about that. There is something to bear with me. There is something about legibility. And I don't know, I might get canceled for this, I think, but there's a softness and an ease with which white people accept black stories. They want to see, they want to see the slave stories, they want to see, you know, the said slave play. At times, there is something about blackness asking for permission that makes white people comfortable.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: And and they're black. And unless it's a story that is centered around you know, slavery or centered around oh, the white saviorism, I don't know if black people feel because there we have to give them something that lets them leave feeling like, well, I'm one of those good white people. So yeah, I can relate to that, you know what I mean? If it's anything else of black joy where whiteness is not centered, yeah, we don't want to see that. Too many happy blacks, too many white blacks and dancing but not for us, right right, they're not really our entertainment because there is something to it. Black people should exist to entertain white people.
Speaker 1: Right right, Yeah, compare and contrast that with theater. Yeah, queer stories. Yeah, you know, we've only just thought about, you know, telling trans stories that aren't a tragic warning. You know ace Ventura with the famous you know, vomiting in the toilet for however long, same thing we did with the Crying Game early nineties, you know, the big reveal, and and then of course the immediate reaction is to vomit all of that, you know, the silence of the lambs with the skin just on and on and on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something just occurred to me.
Speaker 1: We don't like to hear, you know, necessarily triumphant stories where those queers just get to walk around being queer when we stuff ourselves into little boxes and what the fun? I don't want to watch them happy.
Speaker 2: Like that image, in that image from the Crying Game, and and ace Ventura like that the reaction to the Big Reveal, I feel like that did for trans people in the like it did the same harm in the public eye for the perception of trans people, the way D. W. Griffin's Birth of a Nation did for black people. Like that's the that's how you equate A and B, you know, and like those negative images are like where the foundation of our perception in pop culture, in popular media. It just occurred to me, I think there's something to that.
Speaker 1: And at a time when we look at the political landscape and the you know, the vernacular that you know is just too present. Whether I think it's a small percentage of people or not, I would I don't know. I would hope more people were interested in preserving something as innovatives, as queer affirming.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also feel like.
Speaker 1: The new ideas I want to believe that about Broadway, and I'm sometimes naive.
Speaker 2: Right, I feel like the new ideas on Broadway tend to be more readily accepted in the plays and the straight plays as opposed to the musicals.
Speaker 3: I see. I see that.
Speaker 2: Like more more often.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think the revivals tend to get more play consistently in terms of musicals, just based on what I've seen, because there's a lot of plays I'm like, oh, that's interesting. Oh I would see that, But you I don't really get that reaction so much with the musicals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I will say too. Oftentimes I find myself thinking about the fact that Broadway has often times known as the Great White Way, and for a long time it's been centered around certain stories, the people who get to play the lead roles the cast. Right, you'll have a one black person every now and then in different shows. There'll be a black show, maybe one one every five years. And so there's a reality to the history of this this this this this culture, Broadway culture. And so when they start doing things, everything that's happening somehow has to align with what with what already exists, and that tends to be the metric. Right, They're they're gauging, they're gauging their success off a certain thing. They're gauging, you know, their their publicity, and their their their marketing off certain things. Everything is through their central lens. And I am wondering if it's time to burn it all down metaphorically right, so that we can build something a little bit more equitable, because we will not. There's no way once you have a system built on white supremacy. And I'm talking about lots of different systems within you know, the world, the globe world, If everything, if most things are built with this central idea, through this central lens, and now people are trying to find a way to comeback it without addressing the central thing. We're always going to come up short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, we were actually having this conversation. We were having this conversation yesterday. I think, like, why can't they make live screenings, like live streamings of Broadway shows more of a thing, or a pay per view thing more of a thing, Like there's that one subscription service, but like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, met Live was the example, right, Yeah, you know where they simulcast in a theater and I think it's twenty five dollars a ticket and it's as you know, as if you're there, you're seeing it right on the screen, and that idea, you know, is it possible to just to bring more revenue in right, to make it feasible, you know, everything being.
Speaker 2: And do they count that revenue as part of the success of the show, because you know, if your only metric is people physically getting their ass in the theater, then there's a certain level of economics that you know, surrounds that, because you know, your Broadway tickets ain't cheap, even the cheap Broadway tickets.
Speaker 3: Ain't cheap, right, and.
Speaker 2: You know, you also have to be able to get yourself to New York. So but if someone in you know, Podunk, Michigan or even like the South Bronx, you know, can get a twenty five dollars pay per view, multiply that. However, many like that would actually create equity, and then you would really get an idea of who wants to see what, you.
Speaker 1: Know broader more right.
Speaker 2: But then it's like, okay, well who do we actually want to see our see the shows? Then, I think is what that comes down to, because there always has been an argument about the elitism of Broadway, and so it's like, is that symptom or is that you know, a feature? Is it a bug or a feature?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Well, we used to be able to go into I mean, this isn't what all right, Maybe it was fifteen sixteen years ago, but you know, my cousin and I used to take a long weekend go into New York and then you know, go to the TKTS and a half priced checkup was like forty or forty five dollars at that point. Oh god, you know, but a half price there can be over one hundred. It just depends on the show. But I mean that like that was the high end. We saw shows for thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: And so we would see a play, a musical, a play, you know, like we might see three shows in the course of a long weekend and we could afford to.
Speaker 2: Right, That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we could afford you now, I haven't looked in a long time, but yeah, it is. There is a ladism involved. I just, I just I want to come backstory. I know, I want I want Tyler Perry to fund six more months of this instead of paying for another funeral. But you know, I want a lot of things in this world.
Speaker 3: From your mother. I think that I think what you're saying is is necessary. I think it's I don't like having these conversations after the fact that we're always reacting right writings, and so it just makes me go, we are the people front front ending this, Well, what if and how do we and what are we aligning ourselves with? We will always I will always fail. If I'm going to date a guy, right and the guys say, hey, I only like I prefer white guys, I will always come up short because I'm up. There's no way. Right, Yeah, we might go we might we might go get some coffee and we might grab a meal, bada bing bada boom. But I will always come short because there's a centuality to your attraction that I will never ever meet.
Speaker 1: I cannot imagine.
Speaker 3: But okay, you know, so that there's that. So I'm wondering if we're if we're going to be having these really robust conversations with everyone in the room. Are we willing to put everything on front street to talk about why we do, why we make the choices we make, why do we why do we not and why do we see so certain certain stories as not viable? Why are we doing this? And then there has to be a cleanse. There has to be a cleanse, and there has to be a meeting of the mind. And I don't know what that looks like, but it starts. It has to start with a shakedown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just you know again, this point in history, this look around the rhetoric every fucking day. I mean, there's a reason we don't record every week like we used to. My soul can't take it. Yeah, I cannot sit with these stories week after week and try to delve into them and still function as a human I can't do it. And it's because you know, it's this full on attack, it's Project twenty twenty five. It's this insane government that we are living under right now that we swore could never come here. Well of course we know it could come here. And to have something this beautiful, pure magical that celebrates the very thing being degraded, the very people being degraded and decried and light about, good God, can we all send a dollar something to make this not happen? And I think that looks like right, what does it look like? I just it's to me, this is like I felt taller, I felt, say, you know what we need to renew, you know, we need we talk about self care all the time, and you know the work I do, and that was self care, talk about honey. And I looked and there's Cameron Manheim, like right over there, right over there, and we have a friend in common and we've shot a little video and send it to just and then that show it filled me, if.
Speaker 2: Not to mention me getting to meet hundredishs that like And I said, as he was autographing my play, well, I said, ten year old me is getting his.
Speaker 1: Love right, And just all of it, all of it, and that was special.
Speaker 3: There is so much sadness in the news of its closing. Yeah, but there's also I think joy in the fact that it did exist. And it's my hope that other producers that you know, will will look, will see, Oh my god, what what becomes? What comes? What happens when black queer people put their hands on something. I hope it becomes maybe a lit must test for the magic that we already know we possess, but that we continue to show to people. Sometimes they don't want to see, sometimes they can't help but see. But there is a beauty in it having existed that we cannot undermined, and we must must work to ensure that the work in and of itself continues to live. Yeah, it stays alive.
Speaker 1: And it's okay to say, I think we're just tired of you know, finding that pearl. Well, it existed, you know, it better to have loved and lost, better to have loved and held on to it for Fox's sake, right, you know what I mean? Like, but yes, you know. And the fascinating and again from a sociology perspective, is are the things that are coming out And I have true I have true dancer choreographers with me right now. So one of the narratives is the number of injuries, right and you know, we talked about that on the way home. You know, ballroom and Broadway and and you here in this particular space know the rigors of dancing on Broadway and you know, eight shows a week and all of that. But they're acting as if that played some role. And I'm not sure that it did. I don't know now, you know, but we have no there's no dearth of talented people to fill that stage. We're only talking thirty people. You know. One of them is Andrea Shields and he's fine, and the other one is Junior Lebasia and you know, unless she trips, she gonna be fine too. Like so you know, it can be a movable cast, is my point, because this is very physical work. But what do you say to that? Just let's cover it.
Speaker 3: I must say this. I must say this. I danced in The Lion King for eight years, seven years, seven years, two thousand and two thousand and eight, seven years, and we're talking about dancing on a rig on the stage that was hard before they did the renovation on the stage for what it is now wearing a forty pound puppet. Right, So injuries was happening. We were getting injured, but it wasn't because because we were getting injured, it had to become a part of the conversation, what do we then now do to ensure that the dancers stay safe. And it was a conversation that had been having we had to have with the dancers, with equity, with the producers and with the entire creative team, and we work together to make it happen. So that can be the excuse. Injuries cannot be the excuse people on Broadway get injured. That's just my happenings.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Performers get injured if you are doing if you're going to be doing a shablam, you might tweak a something, right, you might tweak something. And so it's important for the planning to incorporate those elements you and or for the choreographer with beautiful choreography to that Okay, maybe we can't do that eight times a week, maybe we do, right, So to figure out how to you know, alter the choreography to be able to do the thing within the confines of or we say okay, because it's so physically demanding. We're only doing four shows a week. There are ways around ensuring that this story stayed alive.
Speaker 1: Let's let's highlight a different days. Right, you're gonna do that. You'll do a desktop on Monday or not? You know what I mean. Tuesday, Thursday is your death drop. You're on Wednesday. Like, we could work this out if we wanted to, right, because the Line King didn't close because of injuries.
Speaker 3: It's twenty five years now.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I saw it for the first time two years ago.
Speaker 3: Did you really you didn't see me in the Lion King?
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: You didn't you didn't see the real Lion King? Then, I don't think you know.
Speaker 1: And I had an opinion about that in the beginning because I'm like, oh fuck, now we're now we're going to Disney for ship because we can't have it. And then you know, it is something spectacular, It is something.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's magnificent And Garth Fagan's name still makes me. The open circle of life in The Lion King still gets me, give me goose bumps and make me cry. It is one of the most magical openings in Broadway history.
Speaker 1: I got a.
Speaker 2: When when it was first announced that The Lion King is going to be a musical, I honestly will tell you I wasn't gonna give a shit until I heard Garth Fagan was the choreographer. Then I immediately gave a shit because I'm like, Okay, Garth Fagan choreographing with the Lion King, that is gonna be good, no matter what else happens, is gonna be good. And I think I was right.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm gonna tell you something about Lion King and Garth Fagan too though. That Linus Chant, I think that won him that Tony. That Linus Chant is the single most example of what choreo musicality is and of what storytelling through choreography is. That lioness chant whoo. And I was in the show so I got to see it. But those women as lionesses and the singers, singers and dancers one of the best dance numbers that told a story. That twun't oh when that when that gazelle goes by and they all went go go Goleth. But no, yeah, there's that, But I do believe that there is. I don't know if there's a I know that responding we're all responding now, and the response is a good thing because we're all saying this should not have happened. And when when you have that many voices saying a thing, then it's then we we it's necessary for us to do a revisit. Where did we go wrong? What could we have done better? What was missing in the conversation? You know, whose voices were not being heard? What needed to be done to ensure there something was missing? And someone fell off? Because this is too too necessary, too rich to present to contemporary for it to not have been supported the way it should have been supported.
Speaker 2: And I think that the powers that be might have tried to treat it like any other show and it was not right, Like for when we were talking about like treating injuries, like I'm just thinking about like those children's knees. Because you can duck walk for five minutes at a ball once a week. That is different than doing that shit eight shows a week. Their their cartilage is mush. But then you know what I'm saying, and that's that's a focus that needs to be a specialized focus and needs to be paid attention to. You know. There it's a different skill set and I think like when you treat things like a novelty, which I think is ultimately what this was for some people, you don't think about the specialized needs of the specialized skill set and the specialized community.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, I wonder, I wondered, Charles, was that a part of the conversation, right, when you have a creative team and you have some and you have people in the room, no one. I don't know if anyone was like, okay, to be doing a death drop eight times a week, twice on Sundays, twice on Wednesdays. Is that What does that look like long term? I don't know, because there are there are tumblers in the Lion King Ray Mercer shout out to Ray was a tumbling fool like that brother was tumbling every night on that hard stage, right, and yes maybe he and he doesn't miss shows. So what was the conversation?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want one of those young people to think there was anything more they could have done. I mean, that's that's there's that in my that in my soul. I mean I felt their performances and again I felt life, I felt joy, I felt you know, this is trans excellence, this is black excellence. This we were just like and and queer joy, just the whole all of it.
Speaker 3: Huh. I want to push back a little, Martha, only because only because I love this idea of black and trans excellence. But you know what, trans and black mediocrity should be okay too, because white people do it. Oh you know what I'm saying. What we can't just be? Do you always have to be? I?
Speaker 1: Honey, I talk about that three and sixty four and a half days a year when we are able to you know, put this together and have this.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, but yeah, totally like we should be able to throw some like thrown together nonsense out there and have it be accepted and tolerated and you know, just like anything.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but but to that point, you will always answer for black mediocrity. I will always answer for trans mediocrity. And you know, when we have our out lives, liars, we you know, I come from the land of broken toys, and you know, I put my head down a couple of times a day, and oh god, there's straight people watching. But you get you get to do that, yeah, you know, And and you know, I get a little tired of being asked to answer what do you answer for them? You know what I mean? Like you you all got serial killers to answer for baby, you know you have the.
Speaker 3: Pedophile and mass shooters. Yes, yes, you.
Speaker 1: Got the shooter right, you got all that mess. But yet you y'all get to be individuals, right when you are a part of a monolith. To be recognized for excellence means you are superior in so many ways. Yeah, no, I agree with you, But that's a whole different conversation.
Speaker 2: I've sarcastically done that before. Yea, as the representative of my entire race, I say.
Speaker 3: But it does happen. It does happen.
Speaker 1: It happens all the time. Yeah, well, what about this? What about it? I get tired, we all get tired of, you know, the things that come out as from you know, often well meaning people.
Speaker 3: I wonder, you know, with I don't I don't know the politics of the economics of Broadway with regards to owns, what theater and you know, gets rented watching for how long? But there has to be I know, there's a Black Theater League or Black theater constituents of sorts, And so I'm wondering what happens if we stop being redundant, right, we stop going, Okay, there has to be a pool of money that goes into ensuring that certain things get solidified as foundational I'm wondering what that looks like to go, We're going to take three new black queer or just square or a trance or an immigrant, and we're going to put this money into this person to build this thing for the community, for our community, and continue investing and reinvesting in this so it becomes a living ornament of what's possible when you put money into black permanence, into black and queer permanence. What happens if you fund the because in a way, we we have been doing this thing, and we continue to do this thing, and we do it un little to nothing. What happens if you put the money into the thing and watch it flourish?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Because, as our friend Kathy is find of saying, black people got money now, so why can't But then I'm thinking, like, if black people, black queer people, queer people exclusively were to come together and create this funding source, wouldn't that then be like outside of the establishment and therefore like push you know what I'm saying, Like, how how do you how do you take this outside money and use it inside the establishment without you know, the pushback, because you would have.
Speaker 1: As an insurance policy. Even what about that? I mean, you know, how do how do we ensure the white ship that stays around long enough to become iconic? How is that insured? Because again, I wouldn't have seen a lot of things with half priced tickets had there not been empty.
Speaker 3: Seats, right, sure, sure.
Speaker 1: Even sometimes for major things that happens, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Like I guess I'm trying to say, is like, how like how would that be seen as just you know, part of this status quo as opposed to like this special thing that also exists alongside, as opposed to within you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I do, I do know what you're saying. You remember when you asked me to you know, what are some of the shows that we can do cross referencing and compare in contrast? The truth is that data doesn't lie, and while it might not be the full truth or the only truth, it's a part of the truth. And we have to be able to tell the story, point to the numbers and then say this could be an answer, it's not the only answer, And by no means am I saying that it needs to be segregated or separate? Right, It just has to be included and included with intentionality. It has to be a conversation. If a story that is not mainstream gets made, how do we protect it? How do we hold it? Bringing in a black faculty member into a predominantly white institution, Yeah, that's great, Now you can champion on diversity, but what are we doing to protect this black faculty member? What are we doing to ensure that this person who is now living in a predominantly white neighborhood feels and has contacts with Oh, this is where the church is, this is where I get to do my hair, this is this these are the these are the ways in which you can stay alive metaphorically but also literally.
Speaker 1: Right, and you know that's usually on you, right, that's yours.
Speaker 3: But but the community, if you know now that black stories are going to be introduced and invested in and or included, then the white majority of the Broadway sector need to then say, what do we do to ensure that this kind of visibility will be sustained, maintained and sustained. Right, they have to build, they have the people who try to have the who hold the what do you call it, the purse strings, the money bag. They have to believe in and value the things that they have not been traditionally present. They have to believe that it needs to exist.
Speaker 1: And isn't that at least potential? That is at the heart of this. It really is the broader conversation. You know, well we did it, but it wasn't an immediate success. Therefore and how right, so how do we say, well, okay.
Speaker 3: Wait, I don't know, but we have things to point to, right when we think about places like the met when you have a liantine price of Kathleen Battle. What's the other diva's name? Norman, Jess Norman? Right, Yes, people came along like it was one to they weren't all at the same time necessarily. Then these graves, but these black voices, they weren't supposed to be in that place, but you but you couldn't deny them, right, and so but there's also someone took a chance on them. And then we realize that, oh, this is a thing. We have to realize that our not only potential, our reality is ginormous. Yes, cats, cats, Though it did not last necessarily it will survive. And I believe this conversation, these writings, this this people, when people people, the fact that people saw what was possible, this is going to ignite another conversation, and that is what do we need to do to give it its second life? Because I don't believe it's over.
Speaker 2: And there's now a whole generation of people that truly Yeah, but there's a whole generation now of people that when they think of cats, they think of this version. They don't think of the version. So there's that and and two thoughts that were on my mind that I have to make sure I get out. One we kept calling them death drops. They are dips.
Speaker 3: What's the death drop?
Speaker 2: Actually, well, a death drop, I found out is when you go from either a standing or a crouch position and you jump slash fall back onto your butt with your legs and a straddle.
Speaker 3: That's that's a drop. Yes, But we're welling the death drop.
Speaker 2: So you know, right, I just have I just have to make sure that you know, like it's it's known that I do know the difference before someone says something about me. And also I do know, like for instance, beloved Camille Brown, once she got her first gig choreographing for Broadway and got nominated for a Tony. Then that led to more choreographing gigs, to directing gigs on Broadway, and so like, that's what gives me hope with Artura and Amari Uh. They created this wonderful experience choreographically for this and I'm hoping that will only lead to more work for them. And you know, that's one of the reasons why I was sobbing my full head off during this show, because I'm watching all these fabulous people on stage, going, y'all are all Broadway stars. Now, y'all are Broadway and it should be yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't want it to be.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting time, right, and it's never that right. But what it does show, and you talked about Camille just now, it's something I do not like, this idea of always finding one person. That person becomes the next the only person for the next ten years. But what this does show is that there are others. Right, Yeah, there's Camille, but there's Ore. There's so many other talented choreographers. We're amazing work and so this is one way for people to see what is possible. We have to just get out. We have to get out, and we have to support and we have to call things that when we see it, and we have to ask these producers directly, why won't you commit to funding, supporting and advancing certain stories. What's what is it? What do we need to do to ensure that we get to see ourselves represented on the Broadway stage? Four long runs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am, I am wrongly or rightly, Like I'm picturing one person pulled this trigger, you know, like mister Potter is somewhere going, yeah, well we're done with that, and then everyone else falls in line to try to make it make sense. But you know, I want to know who that is, Like, who gets to just go we're done, We're done.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It didn't do what I wanted it to do as fast as I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: It, mister Broadway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mister Potter on Broadway. I'm just picturing it. I'm picturing, you know, a self loathing fagot with all the money in the world going pointing the finger and said board right, and and yeah, I mean, I mean, I mean because yeah, and I and I just it's hard not to put this in the context of the broader narrative right now, you know, truly and say okay, for if indeed there is a majority of Americans who are not okay with what's happening, why will they think like this happen? You know? And I'm sure I and I know there would be the pushback up. You're talking about a Broadway show. We've got folks who are unhoused, We've got folks who have any you know, and that is true, that is true.
Speaker 3: But if we don't we can still have the same com We can have both conversations that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Yes we can, and we need to because if we don't preserve the arts, what the hell are we doing that part?
Speaker 2: What are we fighting for?
Speaker 3: And the truth is some of these people who are no longer going to be out with a job will potentially be in a line waiting for something. So we can't we can't talk about one without talking about the other. We are talking about livelihood, but we're also talking about black and queer erasure.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we are, yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: And so for me black and queer erasire is on. How is homelessness? Yeah okay, And so that we cannot I don't believe it's one or the other, it's both and right and so yes, people, another Broadway show will come, people will invest, it'll do well or not. But we have have to talk about relevance. We have to talk about permanence. We have to talk about representation, We have to talk about inequity, we have to talk about invisibility. All of those things matter, and it forces us to be critical in our approach to these conversations.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, hell yeah, and sidebar. I'm sitting here thinking, when is Builty Jones going chreograph on Broadway again?
Speaker 3: What was his last show?
Speaker 2: Spring Awakening?
Speaker 3: Was it? I thought he did one after? Did he? Who did Pailah? Who did fai La? No?
Speaker 2: That might have been Builty Jones? Now actually I'm actually not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone tell me, Okay he did both? Phila was two thousand and nine Spring Awakening? Oh he did Paradise Square.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, good, shut me up, Never mind, good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad when you're gonna notice what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Is the question fair?
Speaker 1: We've got a different question now, don't we bear?
Speaker 2: I will shed the fuck up now.
Speaker 3: So this is what I want to ask. What do we do now? What happens now? In your right beautiful minds what happens now, Like where do we go from here?
Speaker 1: Someone figures out how to ensure that this has longevity and this nightmare goes away. That's always my wish, and it never happens, but it's always my wish, Like somebody will swoop in and say, this is too important, how do we preserve it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: And I think you're right. No matter what, it will live on, it will continue to happen, it will be reimagined. I think that that's true. I'm just tired of scraps. I'm just tired of the dismissal of it all, you know. And I wanted to have this conversation because I just, hey, it's not yet a post mortem, and I'm tired of of who controls them conversations. You know. The playbill article is Andrew Lloyd Webber and what he has to say about this whole thing. Okay, all right, I mean, you know, but.
Speaker 3: I have this thing. I have this thing that I called Wildless Imaginings, and it's something that I do when I do whatever workshops that I lead, and I at the very end, I always there's going to be like a call to action, right, But it's lubricated by lubricated by wireless imaginings. If there were no barriers, what would it look like for Broadway shows with those who have been historically minoritized? What would it look like for that show to do well and for it to have a long run and for the performers and the creative team to be black and queer and completely joyous and successful. What does that look like? Wiless imaginings.
Speaker 1: It looks like whatever's happening that kept lame is alive or phantom of bed. I mean, you know, sorry, but you know that it also is a model I have. It looks like people are going to stay invested and put their money there and you know, take some losses for a longer period of time. And I think, God, it also looks like theaters like the one we were in where it's full of full of black and brown people with seven to twenty white people as opposed to the reverse.
Speaker 2: Right, which is what it was.
Speaker 1: Because I was like, you always count, Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 2: I always play count.
Speaker 1: You always count?
Speaker 2: And I I saw twenty really that at Cats. I mean that I could see in front of me, and you know, it's just interesting. It's like all of this black and brown queerness on stage, and it's like all these white people that are the ones consuming it, and you know, fine, I'm you know great, But what would it mean for a theater full of black and brown people to like also consume this on this just that's that's the kind of thing that I'm gridding.
Speaker 3: I'm gridding because what you're saying is so true, and I want to I do want to ensure that I insert this part of my perspective into the conversation because it's it's around this idea of value, right volume culture, voguing queerness in the arts, black perspectives through through through through a certain lens. And I think about, Hi, your education and how you know, certain dance forms are not central to the curriculum. Right, people will come to a dance rules and they'll get four years of modern four years of ballet. And all these other forms are electives, right, whether it be hip hop, whether it be flamenco, whether it be banatium, the all of these other forms are othered and they are electives. And what this says, it says to the institution, It says to the students, It says to the teachers that this is not something we value. And as long as that is the conversation in higher ed the training ground for potential Broadway stars, to say that these things are tangential, the ballet and the modern are necessary, as long as the voguing, the hip hop, the rapping. As long as those things are tangential, aren't othered and sidelined and marginalized and on the periphery. Then when it comes to what's going to be theater and or fully realized works, they're also going to be othered and peripheral and marginalized and sideline. Because we don't even want to teach it, then why should we pay for it? We don't want to tea where it is not something that will be t taught, would be will be you know, nurtured, will be elevated in the space, in the training space, Then by god, why should we pay money to see it on a stage Because it's not even something that can be trained, it's not something that's even taught. And so we have to have this these circular conversations around what we value, about what we we we deem necessary and what we call technique. Right, and so the conversation is layered and I'm digging through. You know, I'm playing dog with a bone right now because I'm digging to bury something. And there is a truth. I've served as a professor off dance for years enough to know that when we say we want to decolonize the curriculum, it means decentering something. And so if we're going to decenter ballet, I watch all them white professors go.
Speaker 1: But but but but but uh huh.
Speaker 3: Even though they were the primary advocates of decolonizing the curriculum. So my original question was, we just got ago.
Speaker 1: Until right until until there's a hint of I have to give something up right right.
Speaker 3: They don't want to imagine that, imagine.
Speaker 1: I want to decolonize. But what you're trying to teach me is that some of what I'm enjoying is because of colonization. And I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: Now, Why that's the difference between, for instance, not being actively racist and being anti racist.
Speaker 3: That's it, right, that's it, that's.
Speaker 2: It being an ally and being a co conspirator period period.
Speaker 3: Because now the work begins, right now, the discomfort begins, like who is willing to get up from the get up and give someone else a seat at the table. You're not going to do that, then shut your mouth. That's it, right, right, yeah, right, But so I do I do find it really necessary to talk about what are the things that we teach. Listen, lots of lots of schools, their African American Studies department, their Ethnic Studies department, their Black Studies department are being are closing right right. So it's it's from the top down, this idea of what do we value, what do we want, what do we want to explore? What are the things that we we think are necessary? And the things that are not necessary are going to be erased, are going to be omitted, are going to be you know, invisibilized. And so this is another example of that being the case.
Speaker 1: Truly, making room requires ongoing effort and education and yeah, sometimes sacrifice and net part finding the folks who you know, see it in practice and say yeah, let's keep going with this doesn't happen like it should. And you know, the thing that gets to me, you know, Charles and I have talked about this more than once, is there is a white cynicism that happens, and we've seen it play out. I don't want to be too specific about this, but where we hire someone and you know, I'm thinking of a black trans person in particular, we hire someone who checks the boxes and shuts up the people who want this. But we hire someone who's not necessarily qualified. We're not going to help them. We're not gonna, you know, figure out how to create their success. We're gonna let them flounder. And then we can say, see, we tried it, didn't work out.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 1: Would love to not believe that that end result is not a part of the original thought process, but I think it might be you know where it's like, okay, well we'll give you this. We probably won't, but you know, I've just I've seen it too many times where someone it's almost like fine here, and then when that person drowns because they were meant to drown and you didn't help them in any way, you can say, well, we tried it, right, instead of how do we create a pipeline? Instead of how do we ensure as you said, how do we ensure success? Because that should be a leader's role, right the people who I work with, their success is mine. That should be a part of leadership at all times. Is you know, it's not.
Speaker 3: What you're saying is it's it's it's titulating me. I love the word titulate, but there's stimulating me because and I don't know when it will come out. This month's Dance Magazine, I wrote an article about ethical leadership because I wanted to. I wanted to showcase and demonstrate how an organization or you know, an institution's responsibility should live with the dancer long past the final bow. Like when you hire a dancer, you're responsible for ensure that when they leave, they are prepared for the next phase of their life. I honestly believe that, and that is ethical leadership. So when producers take on a Broadway project, what is the conversation that goes from the initial reading, two five year run, final production? What does that look like? And there is there a plan or is it throw things in the air and hope for the best? Right you can a Broadway show of this kind go ahead?
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, then you have to think about longevity for whom you know?
Speaker 1: I mean, we could have the same conversation around elite athletes, right right, ethical leadership? Do we prepare them for what comes next? You know they've got this small window to make incredible amounts of money. And then what right, right, we're the ones who wind up injured, and what are we doing in that regard? Usually not much?
Speaker 3: I do. I think I think it can be translated to other art forms or disciplines. And I will say this, we're having these conversations around a certain type of body, around marginalized bodies. Think about it, right, the majority of the players in the NBA are black. I might, It's not that far off, right, so that the reality is we we're getting something from this group the NFL. We're getting something. And I will of course, you know these are millionaires. Performers are not millionaires, so now it's less you know, for them. But you're right, I was just I was in the body. Yeah, But the circularity of the conversation has to be that though, what does long term look like right for the sport, for the bodies, for the mindset, for the mission, for the outcomes. What does long term look like in a performance through a performance lens, for the production, for the creative team, for the performers, for the investors, for the audience members, what does long term? Because you want also for people, the people, the audience members to feel like, oh, I want to come to the theater because there are stories that are being told that I want to hear. Agreed, Agreed, Yeah, because you know what, I'm gonna stay in my black ass home and watch you know, love is blind. You know. We can do that or you can do interesting innovating work. Because when you think about the people who are minoritized, there are lots of us and I don't know, maybe the tickets are too expensive, certain people can't afford it. That has to be part of the conversation to what are we doing to ensure that certain people have access to Broadway show tickets? And no, Mom, Donnie's with the best he can. But at the end of the day, we have to do our part in having circular conversations. Tickets are expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and getting more and more so.
Speaker 3: And getting more and more because gas priceying going down either, you know. But it's never just an easy answer or an easy fix. It's complicate, complicated, it's layered, it's complex, but it starts with asking the hard questions and for us to all do the self introspection because we are we are a part of the conversation. We're also part of the solution.
Speaker 1: Right, and you know, yes, the accessibility of theater is a part of the conversation. This got to Broadway, right, And too often we don't ask that simple question, now what now what? And it's the question I wonder.
Speaker 3: I wonder with the cast and I would love to be you know, once a year when I was in the King, Julie Taymore, the creative team would come back and we do clean up weeks where the entire team brought Garth into the King, you know, Leba and the King, and they would sit on stage. We'd be in the house and they would clean the show, right, have notes and stuff. I would love to know with the producers and the directors and of the show of Cats, to be to sit and whiless imagining what would it look like for that show to continue and for them to as a collective find a solution like I don't know, I don't know. I cannot keep thinking through a white supremacist lens, right the things that have been happening. It won't work. So they have to somehow come back this with a new narrative. It has to be a different it can be the same approach.
Speaker 2: I would like to know what Laomi thinks not just as a performer, because she is constantly having the conversation about, you know, the fundamentals of ballroom and how like, you know, you we're letting pop culture dictate what voguing is and isn't, and people are starting to look the same, and we're getting away from like, you know, the foundation, and we got to keep that alive and cleanliness and technique and and you know, rehearsing and stretching and taking care of yourself and all of these conversations around ballroom. And that is why she's such a leading authority in the community. So like, those are the people that whose voices need to be in the room too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would. I would love for vogue to be in the curriculum of a dance program right, for them to and I know, I say, get me away from whiteness, but to have a codified vogue vocabulary. I don't know if that's if that should be a thing, but with room for for for for the Palanges to like do their thing, but I do believe they're there if it's taught in us in a way where people see the need for it. And I'm not we should not wait and seek validation from whiteness. I get that, But there are ways to augment and expand the curriculum by looking at what has been historically and and and and and institutionally marginalized and rework it so that students find value in the things that are not being taught, not mestream anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: How do you know? How do how do we because sometimes, you know, do we reframe that narrative? Do we say how does privilege? You know? Because you can't really have the conversation without saying the word rightenness? But how does privilege fix this? You know? Because it often is who has it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So we've got the folks with the talent and the folks with the money, and rarely are they the same. So, right, how do we frame it in terms of because that it's what my always said, you know, when you know better, you do better. When you learn, you teach, when you have, you give. How do we get to that place? You know? Because I know what here's here's what came through my head, was you know, the and pose kind of framed it pretty well, like Madonna brought an awful lot of attention to what voguing was right in general, you know double edged Sword. You know, did she properly back away after she uh created the start? I don't know. I don't know, did she?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're you're asking all the right questions. I I don't know if people are going to be answering it honestly, and because of what I know, you're going to be doing this all for the next for.
Speaker 1: The next ten years.
Speaker 3: Well, I just wish some Like It's almost like when I went to grad school in Dallas, Like someone called me the N word, and I was like, okay, bet, like, I'd much rather you call me. I know where I stand, right, I know, not not the fox with you? I know, right If if I don't know, I'm still negotiating with you and inviting you to my house. And when I know how you write. If I know and I'm good, I'm anchored, call me a nigga. But are you gonna call me your friend? And da da da da dah. Yeah, that I can't mess with. And so when people think about spending money on productions, if I know an investor does not fund black works, then you don't need to do this for the money. Find a white show that you want to spend money on, and I will spend time and energy on curating and cultivating something else for someone that I know values what I present. Right, if we're not gonna be having honest conversations, we're gonna be having this ten years from now. This will be These will be the questions we're still asking because if I brought a producer literally got up and said, we do not fund black shows because we don't think that if they if they're gonna stand up, tents down and answer the question, then we might then go, okay, bet and then find ways to a solution. Right, we can't people voted for a person who is an adjudicated sexual assaulter like I. To me, that doesn't make sens So when you said when half of the people go, well, no, I didn't vote for him, was somebody did? Right?
Speaker 1: A third voted for him, a third didn't, and a third and said, I'm not even a part of this process, even though you will reap the benefits thereof But yeah, and that and that's why I say, I don't think it's as bleak, you know, in terms of how many right, but it's pretty bleak. And as long as we're holding onto those systems. You're right, I don't think we do get a straight answer. I don't think we do get an honest answer. It might be better if they would just wear a goddamn badge, you know. And that's why I wonder who is sitting there pulling the strings?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I wonder, like, what would happen if the producer, before they pulled the string would meet with the cast and say, hey, let's let's look at the numbers together. Would that look like for everyone to feel like they're a part of the process. Right? They go, listen, we only have a million dollars and if we keep going, then this is gonna happen. And what do you think we should do it? And then they all together decide on a path forward that could could be. I mean maybe I'm you know, completely thinking too far out, But what if Julie taymoor Garth would put the old cast together and say, okay, the Lion King, we only have I don't know, two billion dollars and this can only last us for five years. What do we do to keep it going for the next five years? What would you like to do? Like for everyone to buy in and then everyone I'll go look, I'll take a piccut so we can all decide on this thing, collective decision making. What does that look like?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: What does it look like?
Speaker 2: True equity is opposed to just being a cog in the wheel.
Speaker 3: But I just want us all. I remember in twenty twenty, when you know, COVID has and then my school schools were out and I was still getting paid. So I felt bad for all my friends who were performers, and I was like, oh shit, and every now and then I will bend them ten dollars for a drink or something. But what happened was school was opening back up and the president sent us sent out an email and he said, you know, for all the faculty who were I think we were getting like a two percent raise or something. And because school's lost a lot of money that semester due to COVID, and students were now on campus, so all that money went out. They he asked, he said, would you faculty members who are expecting a two percent raise, would you be okay with delaying the rais so that we can keep the staff you know, employed, and you'll get your raise retroactively, like in six months. And I was like, absolutely right. It was a no brainer to me. However, I found out that a colleague said no, they wanted their two percent raise. We stopped being friends, right. I couldn't the mindset like we were doing this together. I always think of community, right, right, right? If I take a two percent, it might take away from Martha's rent. So how about I just leave it so that Martha can still be employed. I'll get my money in six months. I don't really need it, so let's just make it work. But you over here begging for ten dollars, crying for ten dollars. Come on, man, right.
Speaker 1: Come on? And I feel I feel like that if anything is what is diminished, you know in our current society is the idea of community, is the idea of connectedness that you know, Yes, we are. We have a conversation all the time. I mean, now that we live in New Jersey, we play exorbitant property tax, but you know what, we live in an amazing school district. And I want smart kids around us, don't you know what I mean? I want to do it because that's what builds a society, right, absolutely, And again what you're saying is correct, But that when there's a collective sacrifice. But the producer says here and says, but this is the return I have to see on my millions or else? Fuck it?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's not community center. Listen, we talk about village village. I always look at things through a hope framework. I try to. I also look at it through community framework. Right, who if I'm on a team, who is the weakest on the team? And what can I do to ensure that that person was the weakest is still a part of the team. Right, I don't cut off the weak link. I go okay? As a leader. As a leader, you ask what needs to happen? And I don't know. When you think about a Broadway show, there's so many moving parts. God, I don't you know. I'm not a producer, so I don't know. But there we're thinking about strategizing around funding, strategizing around leading, strategizing around creative leadership. And if you want to move away from a colonial mindset, if you want to move away from a white supremacist mindset, you're going to have to do things differently. And if you're not doing things differently, then ultimately you're going to get results that somehow look like we're not thinking carefully and intentionally about race, gender and sexuality.
Speaker 1: Boom, Well we know we're not right, No, we're not. And I guess that's the thing, you know, and the reason that I just want to go back for a moment because I think it's important to say what ensured time for these other shows to eventually, you know, if that was the case to prosper to remain, what what was the what was that that recipe? And what is missing in this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it just racism? Is it just transphobia? Homophobia? You know?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it those intangibles that God knows, we're probably never going to have an answer to, you know, or is there something? Is there something you know?
Speaker 3: Did it meet did it meet the the touring guys the metric to to get to tour? Because I think you have to do six months.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought, and I think I think no, And that's why why not at least that and let them talk, you know, to get to touring. And because that's I'm kind of hearing no, and what the fuck? Like please?
Speaker 3: Because I can see that tour right now. Absolutely, there are people in you know, Wichita cancers who are wherever bump Buck, Idaho who will have never seen a Broadway show and this means their first. My first Broadway show was Kiss of the Spider Woman with Cheetah, and I was in Toronto. Don't play with Me. I was in Toronto and I saw it and I thought to myself, like, first times are always so magical, right, I was in that house going I could not believe it. The first time I saw two men holding hands on Christopher Street. As a sixteen year old from Jamaica, this is where I want to live it. Those things last, they stay with you, and I just know that there is a baby in Montana wanting to see a show like Cats the Jellicle Ball that would change their lives. And we did our We did our babies wrong by cutting this too short. Absolutely, the world lost something.
Speaker 2: I didn't even realize that. That was the metric before a show is worthy of touring.
Speaker 3: Touring. Yeah, they have to be unbrobably for a certain amount of time and once you once you meet it, that tour come kicks right in and you get to to get your thing out there. And that's necessary, that's important. A show like Cats, the world needs to see Cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think another month, like why August eight, why are we cutting it at the knees? Was I don't know, was their political pressure involved. It wouldn't surprise me at this point that you know, somebody somewhere in this decision process went yeah, let's stop them at five.
Speaker 3: I will say this. And because I am speculating and we're just inating, what I do want to say, and I think is really important is that these stories, the people making these stories, the people realize rerealizing these stories, they're necessary. And and in talking about it, we're talking about the value of marginalized folks who are creating art because the art we the art, we create it, and it realizes a world where sometimes we don't even see ourselves.
Speaker 2: That part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are building a world that has oftentimes pushed us out. And if that's not the true definition of what equity is, of what goodness is, then I don't know what it is. Because we're building a world that oftentimes excludes us, and we're still saying this world deserves to exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's worth continuing the conversation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Indeed, Gregory King, I can't thank you enough for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for trusting me with your space and allowing me to have a voice on it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I have a few This is not going to be the last time you join us at the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 3: I'm here for it. I'm here for a good time, not a long time.
Speaker 1: I have that maybe put this conversation into the world very soon, and I don't know, may bear some fruit and get some folks thinking yes.
Speaker 3: But yes, it was lovely spending the morning with you both.
Speaker 1: Thank you you as well.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate you both.
Speaker 1: Likewise you've been listening to Full Circle the podcast. I am Martha Madrigal and I.
Speaker 2: Am Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Scured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.