Speaker 1: Okay, b La Talk fifteen eighty Good morning, Good morning, and God bless I'm Dominique Daprima. This show is called First Things First, and my first thing every day is prayer, given, thanksgiving, praises and asking for blessings from God, asking for the blessings of the ancestors and the elders. And let's go. We got a lot going on right now and a lot to talk about the way we do things on a Monday. We call them mindful Mondays because we're getting it together, putting our mentality in place for the week to come. Our one we look local, Our two we go national, international, and beyond. But we kick off the hour with mindfulness with a guided meditation and affirmation and an astrological outlook at the hands of meditation instructor, yoga teacher and astrologer Sahara Ali. And then in the third hour we do a deep dive with a hot topic of person or person's of interest. We did our messy Monday early this month, but we're just going to keep it a little tiny bit messy. Dell Harrison joins me, or not or very very very unmessy. Comedian Del Harrison joins me. In studio and we're talking our topic, our three celibacy. A lot of people are choosing it, some are doing it involuntarily. We'll talk about it. Yeah, So as you know, every hour you are welcome in it eight hundred and nine two fifteen eighty, eight hundred nine, two fifteen eighty. You're always welcome in the YouTube chat we stream there. The comments section features some great commentary from our KBLA delegation. We stream on Facebook and so you can tap in. If you missed a show, you can find it on YouTube. You can find it wherever you get your pods. I want to say happy birthday to Marcus Garvey today is his birthday and joining me in our one. Who could it be?
Speaker 2: Some botifland all in nine, Miss Kathleen Best was Kevin thinking losing thirty nine was me? All of us were all of Nevins.
Speaker 1: The Bosh is doing at the back of the nine smile beneath her nose every single day that you had the bet. This is what she's saying, Stop this ship. She is the president of the International and Intergalactic Prince Fan Club. She's the director and co founder of Black Lives Matter Grassroots and the lead organizer of bl m LA. She's also a professor Cal State, LA, doctor Melina Abdullah.
Speaker 2: Yay, good morning, now I feel good. I hadn't played Wake Up sawing it, but Miles did.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, and we didn't know he was talking about seven forty five in the morning. But happy Monday to you. And it is a pretty happy Monday, right, I mean from an organizing perspective, let's start off happy not just with starfish and coffee, but time, place and manner.
Speaker 2: Yes, time, place and manner as the terrible restrictions that Cal States and you see have been using for the last two years to discipline and prosecute not only students but mostly students, also faculty and community. So it essentially limits free speech on campuses. And I know you've had Angel Marie Taylor on Tiffany Willoughby herad at U see I they use time, place and manner restrictions to justify her disciplinary action, disciplinary action against her, and we're saying that shouldn't be. You know that the the ucs and csus and colleges throughout this country have always been spaces of free speech and protest, and that is often uncomfortable, but that's how we won black studies in the first place, That's how we won voting rights, that's how we advocated for the end of apartheid in the Vietnam War and the ushering in of Black power, and even Black History Month was founded as a result of activism on college campuses. And so AB twenty five fifty one is a step forward in advancing free speech on campus which is under threat. And so thank you to everybody who called in. We were able to get the bill advanced out of Senate appropriations and on the Senate floor, and so of course this is the bill that was authored by South Central representative, South Central assembly woman herself a former student actor is Shahd Alwarri. And we still have more fight ahead. We have to get it past the Senate and past the Assembly floor. How can we face some opposition.
Speaker 1: I mean, but they do say appropriations is where bills go to die. So the fact that they've made it out of appropriations is a big deal. I guess we still have to keep the pressure on. I mean, really, you know, for those of us who don't follow every bill and every committee, the fact of the matter is that somehow, over the past decade or more. We've allowed universities to modify the right to assemble, the right to protest, and that's unconstitutional. They have decided, yeah, you can protest, but only when, where and how. We say that's not protest, that's recess.
Speaker 2: That's right. So most campuses now have what they call a free speech area, and you're allowed to be only in that area. You're not allowed to use amplified sound like bullhorns in some We have cases on some campuses where someone handed out a flyer on the grass instead of on the pathway, and he was threatened. He was pulled and threatened with disenrollment for simply handing out a flyer on unpaved area. We have people who've been disciplined for putting flyers up on bulletin boards. We have a student at cal State Northridge who was convicted of felonies for protesting against the ice raids. And so this is stuff that we are not going to allow to happen, and we're going to advance free speech. Protest is not meant to make everybody comfortable.
Speaker 1: It's meant to challenge, no doubt, And I do want to say, I mean it's great that it's out a committee, and of course you'll let us know when you know, when the next wave of calls and emails are needed. I do want to say that it's really been wonderful to watch assembly Member Shadel Hawai. You know, when she was running, I you know, I wasn't one hundred percent sure, and then after talking to her for a number of different times, I went ahead and supported her. And I feel like she has something I'm no longer allowed to do apparently on the air. I can do it off the air, but she's really done an amazing job. So far, so good. I'd say, Well.
Speaker 2: Let me say this. I was not a fan. I didn't like Shadai a worry I'm gonna I didn't dislike her, but you know, I felt like Boba Keeley was running for that district initially, and you know, of course I'm going to rock with Baba Akilley and I'm going how dare anybody run against Baba Killey? Right? Didn't know?
Speaker 1: That's loyalty right there, That's yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't know her, but let me I have grown to really respect her, and she was recently elected. Last week, she was elected chair of the Progressive Caucus. She is one who is not backing down, and that's what we want in our elected to remember, our job is not even to I like her, So let me be straight. I like her now, I like her a whole lot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I talked to her around these issues often. But we don't even have to like our elected If our electeds are willing to fight for us, that's what's important. And she has been willing to fight, and she's fighting on this in a bunch of other issues, and so I think that maybe at some point we could talk about what's happening inside the Democratic Party in California. We have a super majority, but it's a fight between the corporate own Dems, what they call the moderate Dems are the moderate caucus and the progressive Dems who are willing to fight. And so we have to say, I'm sometimes dismayed by the fact we have a super majority Democratic legislature in California, yet our legislature is very, very tentative to do anything that's actually progressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, it's a fight that we're seeing really all over the country, but in a way it seems ridiculous in California because we do have that super majority. Like in other places where democratic socialist candidates or progressive Dems who are not dssay are challenging these long time calcified corporate Dems. You know, it seems more right even New York, even though New York is considered a blue state. But Kelly, we have a super majority, and so the super.
Speaker 2: Majority that's not changing. It's not gonna not be blue right right.
Speaker 1: And so the fact that the corporate dams or moderates here fights so hard to maintain their power and keep out the progressive aspects of the party, to me, it's just kind of baffling.
Speaker 2: It is baffling. It's baffling that you have Justin Pearson in Tennessee, justin uh, what is it, John? What's justin Justin Jones? Justin Jones and Justin Pearson out of Tennessee where they stay, physical assaults, they've been blocked from even taking their seats sometimes, and they're willing to fight in Tennessee, right, But we don't have that same level of fight or more fight in California. And so when we have fighters like Shahdee al Warri, we have to surround them and encourage them, and then we have to push the others along and say there's no reason that you have to be a moderate Democrat. In a state like California, we can pass everything we want. We can pass Medicare for all or medical for all here in California. Why are we not passing universal health care? Why are we not passing a billionaire's tax? Why are we allowing there to even be conversation about voter restrictions in California, which is something we have to be aware of, you know. So let's encourage the progressive Dems and really grateful to Shade all Warri for authoring AB twenty five point fifty one. And we'll all need to be called to action to get it through.
Speaker 1: No doubt. By encourage we mean push. Doctor Malina Abdullah's my guest. You're welcome in at eight hundred nine to fifteen eighty. I'm Dominique and this is KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. Now you're back to me, you're back to doctor Malina Abdulah. And before we run out of time, and I know that sounds crazy because it's only twenty minutes after the hour, but time flies on the radio as you well know, what do you guys going this week. I know Wednesday is the weekly protest at well, what do you call the Hall of Injustice, So talk about that and what else is up this week.
Speaker 2: Sure, we got a full week, and of course it's Black August. So we kick it out this morning and I hope everybody is plugging in as we do this YouTube study session with Black Power Media where we're going through Blood in My Eye, So I co host with Kalanji Changa. This week we'll have doctor Dylan Rodriguez from you see Riverside joining us to talk about Blood in My Eye by George Jackson. And that's every Monday on Black Power Media YouTube. Then on Tuesday morning at nine am, we will be at the Police Commission meeting that's one hundred West first Street. We have to remember when we talk about that whistleblower and you know you've never ever heard me shout out a cup, but Daniel Flores did the right thing and telling on the racism and sexism and homophobia inside LAPD. And what we're doing is showing up at Police Commission meeting and asking why Jim McDonald is allowing the rampant racism, sexism and homophobia to take place take hold inside the hiring practices of LAPD. We're also reminding the mayor that she has the power to fire this absolutely terrible police chief. People can sign that petition at TinyURL dot com slash fire McDonald donald. That's fire mcd NNLLL fire McDonald. And we're showing up Tuesday morning, nine am, one hundred West First Street to make that demand Wednesday, and Bob a Chey would go every Wednesday, but I won't do him. Every Wednesday. We protest outside the District Attorney's office and Nathan Houtman continues to prove himself to be the devil that he is, and again he is choosing to prosecute Daniel flor as the whistleblower inside LAPD who told on them for the racism, sexism, in homophobia. He's prosecuting him with sixteen felony counts up to thirteen years in prison. He is not prosecuting the racists, he's not prosecuting the sexist. He's not prosecuting people for the hiring practices. He's not prosecuting the cops who killed Christopher DeAndre Mitchell or the cops who killed Glynn. Are the cops who killed Nannie Finlayson, who he is prosecuting, is the whistleblower. So we'll be standing outside the Hall of Injustice his office every single Wednesday. Please join us. We're gonna stand this Wednesday with dignity and power now as we uplift Black August. It's still Black August, so we want folks to join us. We got drumming, we got donuts, and we got good people again. That's Wednesday at four pm. And then on Saturday at four pm we are getting on the bus for Jaque Raven And I don't know if I haven't talked about him on the show, but Jacque is a young artist who is killed on January twenty second of this year at a mall in Riverside, and San Bernardino County sheriffs came and shot this young man as he was running away from them, shot him in the back, shot him again after he was down, handcuffed him after they killed him, and then it's been trying to drag his name through the mud. Last week when his family was protesting, the sheriff through letters at them saying that they're going to be prosecuted for protesting and that they're gonna find out who they are and where they live because they have flot cameras and they're using the flat cameras to identify all the protesters. So LA is going right for jaque On Saturday, you can get on the bus with us, we'll feed you and we'll go out to Sam Bernardino and protest, or actually we're going to Riverside. We'll protest with the family for Jaquay. So we want everybody to do that. And then lastly, every Tuesday afternoon we protest for Brian Vostik at Inglewood City Council. So we want folks to come out to ingle Wood City Hall on Tuesday at two pm. So it's a busy week and we get purpose out of protesting, right, we don't have to let the world go the way it's going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a few follow ups here before we run out of time for this half of the hour. When you talk about when you talk about the meeting up to go and protest on behalf of Jaqua Raven, that's four pm. What time are people meeting?
Speaker 2: And yeah, we're getting on the bus at four pm at the one United parking lot. So but we want people to sign up because we're not just letting everybody on the bus.
Speaker 1: Right, I gotcha? So they sign it, don't want Where do they sign up?
Speaker 2: TinyURL dot com slash bus for jaque and jaque is j a q u e tiny u are com bus four all spelled out the us FO R jequa jaque.
Speaker 1: Imagine killing somebody's loved one and then throwing stuff at them because they're upset that you murdered their loved one. It's mind boggling that human beings can behave in that manner. Human beings who also have loved ones, you would imagine, would understand that people would be upset when their loved ones were murdered. Unfathomable. And just to be clear, when you talk about the whistleblower, you're referring to the case where an LAPD officer recorded other officers who are supposed to be in charge of recruitment hundreds of recordings of them saying racist, sexist, homophobic, misogynistic things. Turn them over in hopes that those folks would be prosecuted, and intad our district attorney decided to prosecute the cop. And to me, this is a perfect example people who think it's just bad apples, which I'm not one of I think, you know, the whole system is the problem. But nevertheless, if you think that, and we wonder why the so called good cops are not doing the right thing. Case in point, I mean, here you go. The guy tries to turn in, you know, the people in charge of recruitment who are racist, sexist and misogynists, and he's facing thirteen years in jail, in prison.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. And what Nathan Hockman, because we got to put it on who does the buck stop with the buck stops with Nathan Hokman and the police chief. The police chief knew this was happening. The police chief has absolutely fostered and created an environment where rampant racism, sexism, and homophobia are the norm inside LAPD. And so Jim McDonald must go. But Nathan Hawkman, we also have to remember what it is he's trying to do. He is trying to not only harm Daniel Flores, harm the cop who dare tell on other cops. But what he's saying is if any cop doesn't respect the so called blue wall of silence, then they will be imprisoned. That is crazy, and that is so dangerous to Angelino. So we have to say, nah, it's not gonna go down like that. And you know, again, I don't shout out cops ever, but Daniel Flores did the right thing and we are appreciative of that act, and we have to say, no, that's not the cop that needs to be prosecuted. The cops that need to be prosecuted are the ones that kill our people and the ones who are racist, sexist, and homophobic and caught on tape for sure.
Speaker 1: Jerry Anderson's seven seven seven two says LAPD goes to the map protecting their killers. But this one's different. Yes, indeed it is, and I think that difference is oh so telling doctor Malina Abdullah is my guest. We've got news, traffic, and sports here and then more. You're invited in at eight hundred and nine to oh fifteen eighty. I'm Dominique de Prima, and you know where you're at waking up with me. You're also waking up with doctor Malina Abdullah. If you got something to say, eight hundred and nine to oh fifteen eighty, or hop into the comments on YouTube at KBLA fifteen eighty. Quamel says, these police forces and unions want no serpicose, they want the double standard squad and you know, it's it's it's not surprising to me that this goes on, but it is surprising to me that DA Nathan Hawkman would want to be so blatant about it. And I have been pleasantly surprised at the pushback that I'm seeing, not just from black media in this case, but even from some in the mainstream media, going what the what you know? You decided to prosecute who for what? Has the chief commented on this, doctor Malina Abdulah, because I haven't heard and I haven't seen anything.
Speaker 2: No, he has not, and he's justified it when it was raised inside the LA Police Commission meeting, he justified it. And we got to remember Daniel Flores tried to sound the alarm before he even started doing the recordings. The recordings are because they were like, you have no proof, and so he recorded in order to give the proof to the higher ups, to internal affairs, to the police Commission, and then he was prosecuted for doing what needed to be done. We also question why is Nathan Hockman prosecuted even if he was going to prosecute he had the he has absolute discretion to one either not prosecute, which he shouldn't have. He should have been prosecuting the hiring practices, those that were engaging in racism, right, why is he prosecuting in the first place. But also, you know, if you were going to prosecute in this case, why would you prosecute as a felony if you're not simply trying to show whose side you're on and trying to silence anybody who dares to speak out against racism with it.
Speaker 1: And what to be clear, what he's being, what the cop is being, the whistleblower prosecuted for, is because it's illegal to record someone without their knowledge, so priorities, you know, and the DA has made a big to do of saying, well, you know, we just can't go around recording people without their knowledge. Oh but it's okay to go around making sex this racist homophobic comments when you're in charge of gets who gets to be on the police force. Make it make sense.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just add one quick thing too. It's questionable. I'm not an attorney, but it's questionable whether that would even apply because there is an exception to that two party consent policy or two party consent law. When you're conducting an investigation, right, you are allowed to record without consent? And was this not an investigation? So I would argue it's not even this should not even be prosecutable at all. And I think that's the direction the stance that Daniel Flores' attorneys are taking as well. But he was forced to record because he had to investigate this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, that investigation, I think is only for law enforcement. I don't think you and I can just be well, well.
Speaker 2: I was investigating, I'm investigating. I'm investigating this man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you could do that. Oh y'all learn something really crazy this weekend, doctor Malina Abdullah. And I'm not quite sure why I'm telling you this, except for that I think you're crazy enough to appreciate it. Do you know that you can order on Postmates? You can order raw rattlesnake or what rattlesnake or rabbit?
Speaker 2: Well, people, I've eaten so my family's from Boma, Texas. Rattlesnake is actually delicious, as is rabbit. Oh lord, But I'm mostly a vegetarian now, so I wouldn't actually ordered that on postmates.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I've had rabbit. Sorry, I thought it was nasty, but I mean, I just I mean, we call ourselves a big city. I keep telling y'all, this is the country. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go on door Dash and order me some rattlesnake. You can get it wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might not need to go.
Speaker 1: On door Just go up to kenneth home part with a hope and I mean it has a handle, yeah, because I don't know you could go hunting rattlesnakes right now. Anyway, I digress. The opening statements are today in the trial of who killed Tupac Shakor? I Guess is the I guess that's the tagline, and it does feel like a production. You knew him, I think, Well, I know you knew Tupac better than I knew him. People think that I knew him really, really well because he put my clip on the album and I didn't know him. But I think you knew him much better than I did. You guys were actually pretty good friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's He's one of my most important people in my young life. And you know, I don't talk about it much because I feel like his spirit tells me not to talk about it much. But people who know me from when I was young, they know how close we were.
Speaker 1: So how are you feeling with this trial happening? You know this? You know they're going after Keithy d Dwayne Davis, saying that he ordered the nineteen ninety six shooting. Of course he's been Davis has been talking in the press and in his own book and on social media, so they're going to use all of that stuff. His defense is saying he didn't write the book. I don't know. That doesn't seem like a good strategy. I don't mean to laugh at him, but you know, I didn't write the book that says by me. He says he's innocent, didn't kill him. And Miles and one other artist that we had on we're saying that it feels very suspicious because of the timing, right, the thirty year anniversary and all of this sort of stuff that has a promotional feeling. Is that accurate? Was that an accurate description of what you said? Miles?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean we're coming up on the thirty year anniversary of his passing and what two weeks, so, you know, a two week trial. Let's see what polymarketer like how she says about you know, taking a side bed on when they wrapped his trial up. But it'll probably be right around the time they can, like you said, marketing, that's the promotion. That's the great way to look at it. Right around the time of his thirty year passing anniversary. Let's see if everything's wrapped up right around there.
Speaker 1: As a friend, how are you feeling about it, Helena, I.
Speaker 2: Think Miles is right. It feels like a production and nothing that happens will bring him back. And so you know that's where I am. I'm honoring his spirit and nothing that happens will bring him back. And my prayer we went to Costa Rica a couple of weeks ago, you know there were my prayer is, yeah, I hope he is. I hope every conspiracy is true. And I think what I share with you, if he is alive in Costa Rica, then I'm mad, how come he hasn't called me? You did say that.
Speaker 1: I was like, how would he know we were here? And how? But yeah, I mean there's there's rumors that he's what in Africa, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cuba, right, And I did meet a guy in Senegal that looked a lot like Pac.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about, you know, trolling everybody and sending back pictures by that. No, that would be mean, that would be too park of me to do that to y'all. But I mean, I hope they are true, but I don't believe that they are true. And I don't know. I just I'm happy that he's still that his name is still in our mouth, not just for this trial, but for his music and his impact. I don't know that I would have predicted that, you know, thirty years ago, and it's international. I've seen topography and T shirts and such all over the Motherland.
Speaker 2: And the young you know, I was in just around, but I was in Atlanta last week and everybody had on Tupac shirts. And I love that. I love that the young ones know who he is. They haven't forgotten. I love that we won't forget, and we continue to say his name. They say, when you speak the name of he's now an ancestor. When you speak the name of an ancestor, they continue to live. So we do speak his name. We speak his name, Tupac Shakoria, and we have to remember what is it. We're uplifting. We are uplift the best in him. Right when we uplift the best and who he is and who he was, what he brought to art, but also what he brought to resistance and brings to resistance, let's continue to lift that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's well said. I personally believe and I wonder what you think about this that when Tupac was murdered, I feel we know that he was leaving death row, We know that he was on his way back to the Bay Area, and I feel like he was doubling down on his roots from the Black Panther Party, and that he was really looking at building power, building black power with his own organization in his own business label, m Slash Empire. That's what I believe when when his life was cut short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean absolutely, there's a you know, again, I'm not going to go into everything, but you know, we were very, very close, and we had lots of conversations about what his trajectory, what he saw for his own life, and his intent in how he moved. And I think he was scary to a lot of We got to remember that Tupac wasn't scared to fight what was his trial about in New York. Right, Tupac wasn't scared, And I think he inspired and was able to speak to us in ways that you can only do through art. And so art was something that he used to speak revolution, and we have to remember that that's that's a way to awaken folks to our own power. And I think he was very conscious. I know he was very conscious of that.
Speaker 1: Paul says both of his daughters wore Tupac shirts on the regular, and E. C. Courtney says, I love rabbit with bitskits and gravy. Well, maybe I just hadn't had the proper preparation. Okay, so far, no does not taste like chicken eight hundred nine two, fifteen eighty. If you got something to say when we come forward, doctor Malina Abdula, I wonder if you would mind putting on your professor hat and talking a little bit about Black August. It's KBLA talk fifteen eighty, and we do have a lot to talk about. Welcome back, indeed, and doctor Malina Abdulah, the request has come in a couple times for someone to speak on Black August. We probably should have a whole show about it, but I thought you could at least give us the cliffs Notes version of what Black August is all about.
Speaker 2: Sure, so we want to absolutely lift up the courageous brothers inside of our California prison system, inside of their California prison system, and know that California, our California folks. We always give credit to other places, but we got to remember what was founded here. The Black Power movement was founded in California. Black Lives Matter was founded in California, and the prisoner's movement took root in California. Were at George Jackson, who's also from California. Pasadena is where they settled. The Jackson family settled, and George Jackson was just sixteen years old when the eyes of the state were set upon him. And then finally, at eighteen years old, he was imprisoned for allegedly stealing seventy dollars from a gas station. They sentenced him one year to life in prison, and of course held him. After he became more politicized, he started reading Kwame Terray Black Power. He started reading France Fanan and Marx and Lenin and mal Say Tongue and became a member of the Black Panther Party inside and he was ultimately assassinated inside of San Quentin on August twenty first, nineteen seventy one. Well, it wasn't just him by himself who was politicized and political inside of prisons, right, there was a whole growing group of imprisoned folks who were standing up and organizing themselves. And we know about the Solidad Brothers, We know about the way in which they were pushing back against abuse inside the prisons. And Comrade g Tu Sidiki, who many in the KBLA delegation know, is our dear friend and comrade and past a couple of years ago, he was one of the founders of something called Black August, which is about fighting for our political prisoners, specifically using the month of August to fight for our political prisoners. And we do that by fasting in the way that you do a Ramadan fast, so no food or or water from sun up to some sundown, or some of us do modified fast, like being more conscious of what you take into your body and into your spirit. You fast, you study, we train, and we fight. We fast, we study, we train, and we fight. So study is feeding our minds, feeding our intellect and every year we do a Black August read of Blood in My Eye, which is the book that was authored by Comrade George Jackson just weeks before he was assassinated on the prison yard. And in that book he talks about how we fight back. He talks about the concept of gorilla warfare. How do we fight back against the state that's much more armed, much better equipped than we are, And it's really the will of the people. So everybody can read along with us Blood in My Eye. You can pick it up from any black owned bookstore. I know that Reparations Book Club on Jefferson and Victoria has copies, so you can go there pick up Blood in My Eye. It's a really important read and you can read along with Kalanji Changa and me every Monday, and that's up on YouTube on Black Power Media YouTube. And then we train by keeping our bodies strong, and we fight by refusing to submit to a system that wants to kill us.
Speaker 1: Well, well, well, speaking of the system that wants to kill us, I wondered if you want to make a comment about Jason our days. He was a scholar from Cambridge University, young man forty who pretty young to be at Cambridge. He resigned because they were saying that he did plagiarism and there were some questions about his credentials. The UK Press did what the UK Press does, of something like one hundred and forty nine articles about him within a couple of weeks, and it looks like he took his own life. A lot of people are, you know, calling this out and saying the penalty for even if he did plagiarism should not be, you know, being hounded to death. The writer is taking it as a symbol of anti DEI that he wasn't qualified for his position. What are your thoughts on it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's tragic and we should also be outraged, right, not just for him, but when we look at how black folks inside of academia are treated. Who is a sister who also suicided. She was she was a DEI vice president and she was treated terribly and she suicided a couple of years ago. I forgot her name. I'll have to look it up. But this was here in the US, right, and we see this happening all over. We see the ways in which people who are doing righteous worker dragged by their universities. And I want to lift up my friend. The case I know the best is Tiffany Willoughby, her art at UC Irvine, who we want to make sure the delegation doesn't forget her. When students were protesting for a free palace Stein and police came in to beat the students, she did what a righteous professor should do, and she put her body in the way and she was arrested, and she said to the reporters, how can I have a career when my students don't have a future. She was brutally beaten. And now the UC system and U see Irvine has chosen to suspend this single black mother without pay and without health care. Even though the system went through and said she didn't really do anything wrong, the administrators, the white administrators, said that she did. And so this is the way that university systems that are also white supremacists teaches treat, especially outspoken black faculty members, because when we get our students, we deepen their intellectual We explore with them so that we can equip them with intellectual tools that help them se revolutionary.
Speaker 1: I think you're talking about Antoinette Candia Bailey. Is that who you're talking about?
Speaker 2: That's her yea from Linkedia Bailey. Yeah yes, yes, yes yeah that was.
Speaker 1: At Lincoln University. So not anything new, just a minute here. Remind folks and time flies in the mornings on the radio, doctor Malinea Abdulla. Remind folks where to find you and the work you do and.
Speaker 2: Tap in sure BLM grass Roots on all social media. BLM Los Angeles on Instagram for local stuff and watch the free Carmelo hashtag. There are hearings for Carmelo Anthony on the nineteenth and twentieth in Texas, which we plan to be there for our young brother.
Speaker 1: Well so so much moving, Doctor Malina Abdullah. That same day, the nineteenth, I think there's something for Carmelo Anthony. They're also doing something for Erskine Jenkins, right, and they're there's also something for the young man from Mississippi who went out on a boat with his friends, Nolan Wells and so called friends and never came back. So a lot is happening on August nineteenth. Definitely not a day to be doing nothing, Doctor Malina Abdullah. Thank you for all the work that you do and thanks for joining this morning.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sister Dominique, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: It is time to get our heads on right, to get our intentions in alignment. Sahara Ali, the yoga instructor, meditation teacher, and astrologer, joins US next after news, traffic, and sports, only right here