Speaker 1: Welcome back in today, guys. I've got Zach Pandel coming in from Grayscale. We are going to break down the market because there's a lot happening. I want to thank our sponsor today and that is Uphold. We've all been there. Expenses pop up right when the market's starting to heat up. It's not the right time to sell. The last thing you want to do is sell your Bitcoin, your ethereum, your XRP, or even your stable coin USDC. This is exactly why Uphold launched the Exa credit card. When I found out about this, I was blown away. It's an instant line of credit that lets you borrow against your crypto without having to sell. All you have to do is just use your assets as collateral and spend it worldwide using a virtual visa card. This is the coolest feature I love about this. There are no credit checks and you can repay on a schedule that works specifically for you. It's the smartest way to stay long in the market while accessing portfolios value Today. Download the Uphold app and get your virtual exit card in just a few taps. Zach, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm awesome, Paul, great to be on with you. Again looking forward to this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we've got a lot happening in the markets right now. If you consider one thing, and that is just the simple thing of bitcoin price. We are now at sixty nine thousand, so we're seeing the sixes again. You look at a couple of points right now, and one of the things I want to focus in on is why so you've got a little bit of a market pushback. There's been some selling across some of the major exchanges. Right there, I'm showing finance coinbas bybit. They're all offloading some large amounts right now. Do you think this is something to do with the broader risk market or is this simply a rotation of capital into what's happening over on the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 2: I think the bitcoin has a flow problem from a number of large sellers, particularly Strategy formerly micro Strategy, and the other large digital asset treasuries. I think we have an overhang of supply from the dats at the moment, and we're still working through that a supply. We have confirmation now that Strategy sold. We know that Maha or Marathon, the bitcoin minor, which also operates sort of as a Quasi dat had sold some assets, and some of the smaller players also selling. So look, I think that unfortunately, this is a bitcoin specific problem clearly not something that's weighing on the S and P five hundred, and I think it's largely a supply overhang from the dats. I think we're going to get through this in the coming weeks and find a durable bottom.
Speaker 1: Well that's the key right now, is finding the durable bottom. If we continue to see the S and P five hundred skyrocket, and if this does I mean because I've talked to a couple of analysts that I've got one analyst O here telling you this is a supercycle. This is not like the bomb era. We are going to continue to see this kind of train moving and we haven't seen anything like this in all of the finance sector's history. Do you think that continues to put pressure on risk in terms of just liquidity where the cash is moving.
Speaker 2: As long as risky assets like the stock market continue to go up, I think ultimately that's a positive for crypto, and I would see a setback in equities as something that could weigh on crypto short term. It's true that there is maybe some rotation, you know, speculative investors taking capital out of crypto deploying it into some of the high flying AI stocks has been that been part of the story. Yes, I think absolutely, But it'd be pretty unusual situation if the equity market continue to make new highs driven by AI and this other part of the market, digital assets, which is complementary to AI, didn't ultimately participate in that a trade. So look, I think that crypto is going to catch up to the move inequities here over the coming months. It may take a few catalysts, some of the things that we'll talk about, clarity, maybe getting through this supply overhang, but rather than crypto staying depressed while equities take off, I ultimately think that there's a pretty good chance we catch up to the boom that we see in stocks.
Speaker 1: You look at Tom Lee's a narrative here, and we've talked about it before. He has this three phase idea, but he's also referencing the tailwinds that he thinks are sustainable, which is what has happened to drive us to seventy six hundred. He's also talking about us GDP growth is accelerating. So this economy is not slowing down. And then the timing is he's saying leads into a raging bull in twenty twenty seven and beyond. Do you think that is? Would you put that timeline as the same as what Lee is pointing to or do you see a different frame work here.
Speaker 2: Look, I love Tom Lee's work, and I agree with a lot a lot of that. I could see crypto recovering sooner than twenty twenty seven. I'm more optimistic, I think on the shorter term outlook. The only thing I would add to that frame where is I think both crypto and the equity market has some fed risk over the shorter term. Inflation is still running relatively high. We don't have a resolution in the Iran conflict, so it's hard to be confident that oil prices will come down. So there is some risk that the Federal Reserve needs to at least talk about higher rates. That could be the one thing that's a speed bump to risky assets over the coming months, and something I'm a little nervous about, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, Yeah, and I'm nervous, but I just saw some big data. Obviously, we're down here in Florida. I tweeted about this this morning, is that this is almost recessionary price action that's happening in the real estate market here in Florida. And what I mean by that is that right now, it's almost twelve percent of homes in Florida have either lowered their price or actively lowering their price right now, which is very indicative of a risk on market, which is our risk off market, which is what we're seeing now in real estate in Florida, which has been mostly bulletproof against these kind of things. If a rate hike were to come in come on, that would just absolutely put a bombshell in the middle of the real estate market, wouldn't you think.
Speaker 2: I do think it would be a major headwind for real estate. And we have this sort of bifurcated economy at the moment to Paul, where you know, AI AI cap X related things really taking off and other parts of the economy looking a little bit soft. You know, what are you supposed to do as the Federal Reserve? You know, these are difficult decisions that are they're going to have to make, But ultimately, if inflation is still running around three percent or higher, they're probably going to need to take action on it, and that will be a surprise for President Trump to nominate a candidate President Trump obviously interested.
Speaker 3: In low rates.
Speaker 2: To nominate a candidate that ultimately raises rates pretty quick would be a surprise, But I don't think we can rule it out given what we're seeing on the inflation side of the ledger.
Speaker 1: What do you make of Charles Schwab saying they're going to roll out direct spot crypto trading to advisors next year.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great to see, and another and a long line of steps unlocking digital assets for every type of investor. Of course, greyscale has played a central role in that story for more than a decade, providing more efficient access to investors to the digital assets space. And we want to see all these types of access opened up. The ETF products that we specialize in our a great solution for many investor types owning tokens directly on chain or through a wallet infrastructure. Is it going to be an increasing part of the future story as well. We're thrilled to see this. I think it will be the first of many platforms opening up of true access to token trading.
Speaker 1: Well. Timing is interesting too, because that of course next year would mean that hopefully we're post clarity. By then, rias are going to be getting much more active in the digital space, I think by then, and much more educated as well. Speaking of ETFs, I was looking at this right here, which is the chains by app revenue in May, Solana leading the way. I know you guys have ETFs around a lot of these. Hyper Liquid comes at number two, but Solana was up ninety one million, almost double hyper liquid. That blew me away when you saw the app revenue just in May. Ethereum came in a little soft at fifty two, and then you have Polygon and Base. When you look at these chains right now and you consider the opportunity, is it Solana that you think might end up leading this somewhat bear market. Out of this bear market, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Well, you have a couple of chains that are running ahead of the others over the short term. Some people are calling it the three headed dragon of hyper liquid, z cash, and niear. I would say those are the things that really have stood out since the end of March, since we've seen some movement in the ald coin space. I think those can continue to be leaders. That being said, I think that's a great chart that highlights really the strength of the Salana ecosystem. Incredible diversity projects that make real revenue and have lots of users. It's a very sound, durable, diverse ecosystem.
Speaker 3: Solana.
Speaker 2: It should be a key part in anybody's crypto portfolio, and I think entry points to that asset are very good.
Speaker 3: At the moment. Solana is not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: You're getting, as a longer term investor, a great access point in the ecosystem at current prices.
Speaker 1: I saw this right here, which was a topic on gold, and the question was I think a lot of people at least in our chat was talking this very issue, and that is gold starting to take over for treasuries. The ECB comes in it says, yeah, the gold has replaced treasuries as the worldtop preserve. I don't see how there's enough gold to do that. What do you make of.
Speaker 3: This, well, Paul, this is a topic near and dear to my heart. Definitely.
Speaker 2: The reason that I started to get so interested in bitcoin back in the day was thinking about exactly the challenges of fiat currencies. Debt and deficits are fracturing global monetary system, and some of the things that have driven central banks to look at gold. Your listeners will remember that really the thing that I think was the starting gun on this diversification process was actually Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the sanctions that the US and European governments imposed on the Russian Central Bank really motivated a rethinking about the security of treasury bonds as reserves and a need for major central banks to start accumulating gold again. And that's been a huge run. Look, my own personal view is that this continues for a long time, and ultimately it also incorporates digital assets. I think bitcoin and some other digital assets have features like a goal that have a role to play in central bank up portfolios and will compete with treasury bonds with other types of Fiat currency risk, and they belong there in those portfolios for the long run.
Speaker 1: Could we ever see an ETF that is multi asset with multi markets.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think watch this space.
Speaker 2: I think you will see portfolios that blend both equities and eat crypto exposures for different themes. I don't want to overshare here at this moment. I think you will see more of that and also sort of acid allocation type products that look across the spectrum and incorporate digital assets. I think that absolutely will be part of the next phase of product innovation for digital assets.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of that is going to be critical in terms of what's going on with Clarity, because the Clarity Act is entering a very very important four week window right now. The Senate returns back to DC and they're expected to resume on Clarity right now. The question really because we had that and I'll show you the poly market actually, let me bring it up real quick because this was a little bit surprising on where poly market was on Clarity. And I'll show the week on this for you guys that might be listening in the audio. It started right around sixty one. We had kind of peaked around right there on May. Yeah, so you're looking at around May thirty first, around sixty one percent, and then it dove over the weekend and we saw a very low point right here just yesterday, which was holding it at a forty nine percent chance, and it is bounced back today and it's holding it fifty five. So why do you think the erratic nature first? And do you think that Congress is going to get this on the floor before the midterms.
Speaker 2: I think clarity is coming, and I think that we're going to see rapid progress over the next month or two. It's not a done deal, and there are obviously people opposing the legislation. As we've talked about in the past, Paul, the banking lobby is not thrilled about this piece of legislation. But that's one good sign that it is making real inroads and has a real shot to pass. Look, my personal odds are higher and more stable than the polymarket contract.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: As much as I love poly market, I look at these charts myself, so you know, the liquidity on some of these contracts are a bit low, and so we just need to be careful not to overinterpret them. I think maybe the gyrations reflect just you know, people are a little unsure and it's a it's a thin market. But you know, we're gonna see big steps over the coming weeks, you know. To me, the biggest piece of news recently was Jamie Diamond and some of the other key constituents in the bank lobby really coming out so forcedly against Clarity is a sign that they need to spend their time, their effort, their lobbying dollars on this tobby because it's very important and it's probably likely going to pass, so you know, we will see how the next couple of months shakeout.
Speaker 3: I hope that this passes. I think this will pass.
Speaker 2: I think it will be very positive for ensuring that crypto can continue to be built effectively in the United States.
Speaker 1: This was an odd video that came in from the chief policy officer with Coinbasin, and what he was talking about was that it was almost because, I mean, we all heard the words come out of Jamie Diamond's mouth about Coinbase. Brian Armstrong wasn't nice. But at the same time, it's as if Coinbase is trying to play kind of nice with the banks, saying, hey, every big bank is going to get into this crypto sector. This is after those statements. So I'm getting mixed signals here as to what's actually going on up there. Is this all theater? I'm beginning to wonder if this is all theater going forward?
Speaker 2: So well, I think you can assume that things that happen in Washington are mostly theater. Uh And you know my, I'll leave that to the professionals and the lobbyist. You know my, my judgment as a market analyst is to try to get my best guess odds on this thing happening or not. And I feel pretty good about it. That's my that's my judgment.
Speaker 1: I like it, Yeah, I like it. Listen, we've got to talk about XRP ETFs continuing to be on the move here right now, we've got some big winners right now. Bit Wise leads out with the largest position at least in XRP, Franklin templand holding number two. Canary, you guys coming in at number four. So growth is still coming in pretty aggressively. And this right here was pretty interesting because we've talked about this before with some other analysts and it was trying to predict where xrp's total assets net assets would be crossing now one point one billion coming in hot. So where do you think this ends up? All ETFs by end of year holding XRPH, where do you think this ends up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Good, good question. I think it's a good highlight of Paul.
Speaker 2: The XRP ETFs have been popular with investors lately, and I have seen inflows while some of the other products have seen outflows. I think one of the advantages here is is diversification in a in a crypto portfolio. You know, bitcoin and ethereum ETFs have seen similar behavior and similar price action. XRP uh, you know, sort of zigging while the others are are zagging. Makes it a good diversifier in the mix. In terms of where this is going, look, I think some rough benchmarks can be the percent of assets that are held in the bitcoin and ethereum ETFs that are a little bit further along, you know, that's in the zone of you know, five six percent or so any given a month. I think probably that's the shorter term direction of travel for XRP other ult coins is heading in that the direction of total asset and then probably more growth over time. But I would expect to get you know, to five six percent of the outstanding circulating supply and then we'll see, you know, we'll see what investor appetite looks like.
Speaker 1: When you say to five to six percent of outstanding supply of both assets accumulative or each individual asset.
Speaker 2: Meaning the XRP ETFs collectively hold you know, five to six percent of the circulating supply of the XORP token something like that with a big round number. Guess as a starting point. I think we're heading in that direction. I think XORP has seen, as you said, lot lots of demand. I think there's a good chance that that or certainly higher number in the ETFA structure as possible.
Speaker 1: SEEMI Group is officially live with twenty four to seven crypto futures now, so that's all rolling Ripple Prime, their day one clearing and financing partner is underway. XRP futures also, as you know, kind of just as a note, they were the fastest ever to cross the one billion in open interest on CIMI, so that in itself probably opens up a large market. How big of an impact is this on the markets in generally what's going on right now with just crypto futures and options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, futures are a huge part of the ecosystem, and I think are a big part of the broader adoption story of the technology.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Futures of course a critical element of virtually every developed financial asset, and an important part in crypto. They're used for hedgers, speculators for basis trade activity, and certainly for institutional investors like hedge funds that want to capture leverage through a regulated product. Of futures are still the right place to go. And then of course there's the bigger story Paul, that we've talked about as well, but.
Speaker 3: Of perpetual futures.
Speaker 2: Perpetual futures are a crypto native that is being exported to traditional finance. We saw the CFDC on Friday grant the first perpetual futures product to Calshi. We're going to see a bunch more of that. That'll be a tailwind for hyper liquid and other kind of platforms associated with a perpetual futures maybe Salona ecosystem and other things, and I think places like the CME will ultimately list these products as well. So futures have been an important part of crypto to date. I think our way in which crypto is beginning to reshape traditional finance as well.
Speaker 1: We saw and had a chance to talk with a founder that is building an AI tool for AI enhanced trading, and I asked him very specifically if that tool is going to be available for ETFs for basically it to manage and fund in and out of ETFs as well as vaults. His answer was yes, So it's likely that we're going to see a lot more of these tools out there. What do you make of that? If we do see AI trading occur and it starts to go out and find us the best deals, whether it's vault best deals for yield, or it's the best ETFs for lowest rates, best activity to liquidity, all that, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's incredibly exciting vision, and I think something that will drive liquidity and volume and transaction activity for blockchain, so kind of fundamentally and important growth driver potentially of crypto and blockchain adoption. I'm curious to see what risk parameters we put around you as well, because you know, you put a bazooka in the hands of a novice, you know you better watch out what's going to happen. So are these sort of things have been a part of like the hedge fund and quantitative trading ecosystem for a long time. Black professional investors, they put a risk framework around it. I think we're going to need if AI agents are deploying capital for the every man like myself. I hope that's the case, but I want to make sure I have a fullsome risk framework around it.
Speaker 1: Listen, I did. I did a full test on it. Last week in paper mode, which is you know where it's basically trading you know, fictitious portfolios. I got absolutely demolished. So I'm not totally in on it just yet. But there were some wins within it, but not enough to be able to make that like a successful test. I think you're right. I think the key is it's going to be one. It's going to have to learn and understand the market dynamics are so fluid right now, and to be able to keep up with that, I don't know. I'm still on the fence as to how it's going to be super efficient now. Tactical measurements like hey, go out and buy this asset and find me the best rate. That's just you know, a skill that I'm assigning to the AI to do rather than asking it to get, you know, go out and make the purchase for me. So I think you're right, it's going to be an intriguing next step forward. What is new for gray Scale? Do you guys have anything coming out that you can talk about today?
Speaker 2: Well, I should not hesitate to highlight our hyper liquid etf that will launch momentarily. We are thrilled about the hyper liquid ecosystem. I think really the breakout success story of this cycle in digital assets showing the power of blockchain technology to do something great with a financial derivative, perpetual futures, a place where customers are really cutthroat and very focused on best execution, best price, etc. Hyper Liquid is showing you can do that with a blockchain. I think that's why it's making big waves in a traditional finance on Wall Street. We think investors are going to be very interested in our hyper liquid ETF launching momentarily.
Speaker 1: Well. I think the trad fi gets it, you know because, like you mentioned earlier, as they've already been down the track of quant trading, so they understand, you know, kind of the model of what is being done right now, not only with hyper liquid, but what we're going to see in purpose here very quickly, I think in the US market. So this could get a little crazy pretty quickly for sure. Where do you see this in say six months?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Great, great question.
Speaker 2: So the hyper liquid product, I'll just mention the ticker, it's hype G. hYP G launching very shortly. Please take a look out for it. I think the key thing, Paul, is the kind of regulatory unlocks that will happen for this ecosystem and related ecosystems. Hyper Liquid, as your listeners know, specializes in perpetual futures and it's a decentralized exchange, two areas where there's regulatory ambiguity in the US market. We are unlocking the first door for perpetual futures right now. That's what the CFT announcement last Friday was all about, and we're going to we think, unlock that second door access to decentralized exchanges for US investors over the coming quarters as well. So I think that's where we're heading. It's kind of regulatory change facilitating professional access to platforms like hyper liquid over the coming year or so, exactly what we want to see, you know, That's that's the whole goal, is it build great technology, bring those benefits to users in a way that's safe and regulated. I think that's what we're going to see over the coming months. Hyper Liquid an important part of that story. We're delighted to be along for the ride.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm getting so much input from investment advisors that are in our community and they are telling me that the demand right now from investors. I'm talking about whether it's family offices, high out with individuals, or just you know, people that are looking to trade. Has really accelerated in terms of digital assets, even though the market is coming down.
Speaker 2: So I couldn't agree more with that, Paul. You know my day to day is so different than what I read on crypto Twitter.
Speaker 1: No, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, professional investors are looking at regulatory clarity, they're looking at the adoption metrics, they're looking at there clear use cases like stable coins and token iszed assets, and they're saying, now is the time, Now is the time that I make the leap into crypto. I'm having that conversation literally every single day. Uh Here, it's hard to be downbeat about the outlook for this asset class. Doing my role at grey Scale.
Speaker 1: Hey listen, we're gonna be watching this and a whole lot more this week because there is a busy week ahead of us, knowing obviously what is happening DC. This of course gets into all these new financial tools coming in. Zach, thanks for coming in and chatting about it. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: My pleasure is always Paul.
Speaker 2: Great to see you one