Speaker 1: It's nice Eyes Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna continue our conversation. We have a different show tonight. We've had a different show. We talked in the nine o'clock hour about the spread of tripoli ekwine, Eastern ek wine, encephalitis and encephalitis, and also the spread of West Nile virus, which are you know, diseases that are imposed on us by mosquitos at this time of year. And then last hour we talked with Professor Sheldon Jacobson about the national public data breach. You read about it. I read about it a week or so ago, and I saw nothing that made sense to me as to what we could do about it. And I thought doctor Jacobson was extraordinary in terms of his clarity. He gave direct the answers, and he said everybody should freeze their accounts with TransUnion, Experience, and Equifax. Those are the three credit card credit companies that are universally used here in America. So let's let's continue our conversation on this. I hope more of you will join. If you've had experiences where you were hacked, I think it's important to share those. Uh, you don't have to use your real name, by the way, if it's embarrassing in some form or fashion. But there's so much that we hear about that. I'm not an expert on things like the dark web, but certainly the dark web does not sound like a place I want to be. And I think all of you can figure that out pretty easily. But look all of these wonderful tools that we have, these social networks, they are fraught with danger. They are fraught with danger. We will keep going here. The only I have one line at six one, seven, four thirty and one line it six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. And my producer Marita today Lady Lightning, as she called, she did an extraordinary job finding Professor Sheldon Jacobson. He was superb. As a matter of fact, I'm going to encourage Marita. We play every Sunday night at eleven o'clock best off Nightside. We don't tend to publicize it as much as we should, but if you're listening at eleven o'clock, we will probably play. I think that will be the hour from this week that we will play again. And by the way, if you're listening to Nightside, feel free to make recommendations for uh, topics. We're all you know, we do a lot of politics. I think all of you know that, but I like to do other topics that can help people. Okay, that's what we're talking about here on Nightside. So if you have a topic an idea, feel free we check out topics. I shouldn't mention, by the way, and I'm just going to mention this briefly. I really don't want to open up the conversation on However, there was a call to last night who called in who I was a little rough on day from San Antonio And I actually had some help from one of my listeners tonight and last night I should say, and yes, Dave was right, but let me give you the full story. According to the New York Post, and we're going to get to our calls in just a moment, so bear with me. I like to make corrections, and even this is not an apology, but when I am wrong and I've criticized a caller, I like to set the record straight. According to the New York Post early this week, Michigan's biggest city has still has not met its legal duty to hire roughly equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans as election inspectors. The local, state, and national GOP argue in a lawsuit filed Friday last Friday. The fourteenth page complaint in state court notes that under Michigan law, election officials in Detroit and elsewhere shall appoint an equal number as nearly as possible of election inspectors in each election precinct from each major political party. First reported by Fox News in the lawsuit, but Republicans that are numbered seven to one at last count Motor City, which means Detroit has twenty three hundred and thirty seven Democratic poll watchers and just three hundred and ten Republicans. It's about a seven to one ratio. In a sample of three hundred and thirty five precincts in Wayne County, which I think includes Detroit, the pseudo ledgers two hundred were found to have no Republican poll watchers at all. Republicans are a rarity in Detroit. No Republican has held elective office in the city in three decades since city Councilman Keith Butler served in the nineteen nineties. So today in San Antonio a bit of an apology, I think again you were talking about the state of Michigan. The article that I've found, with the help of one of our other listeners, refers to this Republican laws suit in Detroit, and it's it's much easier, folks. I try to make sure that on this program, information that is disseminated is accurate, whether it's from me or from a caller, and I probably do sometimes air on the side of caution. So again, what happens with some of my callers, and Dave does it a lot. He will call and make some statements which sound a little outlandish, and I'll ask for him. I'll ask sometimes what are you quoting? And you know, I would prefer to see it out of you know, a more established newspaper, the New York Times, the Washington Post for that matter, the Boston Globe. I trust those newspapers, even though I don't necessarily trust them on everything. Anyway, I've I've I've explained it, and I hope that those of you who listen to this program regularly know that I am more than happy to acknowledge when I'm mistaken. Uh and and and I was mistaken last night in terms of taking Dave kind of to the woodship. Steve and Merymack, New Hampshire. Steve bring us back to our topic at hand to night, which I'm thrilled to talk about.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dan, thanks for taking my call. I I just want to say I was a victim of a breach. I think it was Equifax, and they set me up with Credit Karma and they have control of a lot of the reporting and if you have a dispute, they are really good when it comes to, you know, correcting it and making changes that need to be made. But one thing I don't think the professor mentioned is the FCO score, which I monitored constantly. And I will say that American Express and Wells Fargo will give you your FYCO score. If there's a substantial change, they will tell you why. So if you have those two companies, you know, not to be too specific, but you know they will help you out to try and make whatever corrections they are necessary. I was a victim on my MasterCard of a breach and the company asked the guy that in Brighton, mass down your way actually changed my address so they could get a helmet cam from this parts company out of Columbus, Ohio for four hundred bucks to be sent to them. So I looked it up on you know, the number for that company. I called them up on a Sunday and I told them, you know if you They said, well, we're going to ship it out this week, and I said, if you shif it out, you're not going to get paid for it. So they killed it. Then I called the cops in Boston and I sent them to that address that they changed in Brighton to pay them a visit to find out, you know, what kind of an operation they're running there. That was my way of saying, thank you.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, what what would be the probable cause up? I will bet you that the police probably didn't do too much under those circumstances.
Speaker 3: Well, or the problem cause for the police meet yeah, oh, well, the mere fact that they changed my address and that they were trying to pull a ski.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is what I'm trying to say to you, with all due respects, Steve, I know who you are, uh, and I find you very credible. But I'm just curious if the police did much in response to your complaint. Because if I called the Merrimac police and knew what your address was and said, hey, there's a guy up there named Steve, who I think has stolen my identity. I think that they'd probably need a little bit more probable cause for them to pay you a visit. Did the Boston police go get this?
Speaker 3: They did. I'm not sure whether they actually paid them ait, but I did report them. No.
Speaker 2: Look, I I trust you totally. You reported it, and you you figured it out and which was wait, which was great. I also I have a credit Karma account, and I like credit Karma. You follow your you use the phrase fico score. I mean that's I think of that as your credit score correct exactly. Yeah, Okay, so I know what my credit score is, and I know it's a very good credit score because I pay my bills on time and all of that. And that's that's how I I didn't realize that credit Karma would also be able to identify any sort of a use of my identifying factors without with them then notifying me of that. So that's I.
Speaker 3: Say, credit Karma is good because you don't have to go get a free credit report and dispute each individual credit reporting agency. They will do it for you. So that's why it's recommended that you do it that way. If you have a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thankful for that. Uh, and I'm thankful for your for your recommendation. I hope you enjoyed Professor Jacobson as a guest.
Speaker 3: He was excellent. The one thing I will say that did change things in the past ten years is the chip. Part of the reason why I got preached was because I didn't have the chip on that one particular credit card.
Speaker 2: So the chip is protective. Huh, so they have to Okay.
Speaker 3: It makes it really hard for them to steal your identity.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you this. Let's assume someone finds out what your credit card number is, okay, and they then try to use your credit card in a telephone transaction. What does how does how does the chip protect you from that?
Speaker 3: Well? They I think they got it from one of those skimmer machines that they always talk about at stores and other outlets. But the chip makes it, I guess the something with the chip that doesn't make the number as easily obtainable as they would if they didn't have it. That's right, what I say.
Speaker 2: Let's assume you. Let's assume you go to a restaurant and you go to pay, and you give the way to the waitress your credit card. They take the credit card into the back room and they write down your number, and they write down the security code in the back and they write down the date of expiration, and they of course know what your name is, and they they call some company and say, I want you know this to be delivered. The chip doesn't help protect you there, right if.
Speaker 3: It's would not protect you at all.
Speaker 2: Absolutely agree, Okay, I just want to make sure I understood what you were saying. Steve has always love your calls.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for I always Yeah, I love your show, Dan, That's all I can say.
Speaker 3: I listened to it every night. I love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks pal well tonight. Tonight's been a good show, and I'm very proud of what we've done.
Speaker 3: Great great topic, great topic.
Speaker 2: And I'm proud of the callers tonight too. We've had some new callers and some really good ones and you're in that category.
Speaker 3: Thank you much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a break. I got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty that just filled. If you're still trying to dial guys, dial six one, seven, nine three one ten thirty. That gets you to my board just as well as the two five four to ten thirty. The two five four to ten thirty is now full. So if you're getting a business signal, dial six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the phones. We're going to go to April out on camp KPN. April. I appreciate your patience very much. Thank you so much for calling in, and thank you so much for waiting.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, April, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: Right, April?
Speaker 2: Are you on? Are you on a big cell phone?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: Are you on your speakerphone?
Speaker 6: I have increased the volume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're on a speakerphone.
Speaker 3: What I'd like you to do?
Speaker 6: Can you hear me? Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Do me savor? Okay. I'm going to have Rob work with you to make sure that we can hear you, and I'll be right to you. Okay, hold on for one second. Peggy in South Boston. Peggy, you're next on Nightside. Peggy. Welcome. Okay, I guess Peggy's out there, so we'll put Peggy in hold and We'll go to John in South in North Carolina. Hi John, next on Nightside.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, John, Hi Dan Well, I have a security freeze on my accounts excellent, and I got it through the North Carolina government website. The attorney general then was Roy Cooper, who's now the governor.
Speaker 2: Yep, he said it up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he set it up so you could do it all through through the through his website.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty smart guy.
Speaker 9: And what you do is, you know, once you get it on there, they give when you register for it, you get a pin a pen number with each each agency, so you got three different pen numbers and they give you an eight hundred number. So if you want to unfreeze it, let's say you're at a car dealership or something, you could bile that eight hundred number and then enter your pen and it'll unfreeze it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you it. Hats off. I know. Roy Cooper's a pretty popular the governor down there. He was actually considered to be a potential vice presidential running mate of Vice President Harris in part because North Carolina was one of those the swing states. Is he's done a pretty good job as governor because he seems to be pretty.
Speaker 9: Popular, not popular with me. He was one of these COVID lockdown guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, what says At the same time, you're open minded enough to give him credit for what he did do on your behalf in terms of the the oh I love it. Uh you know, I'm serious. You you at least, even though he's not your favorite guy, you've given him credit for what he did in terms of the TransUnion and ECHOFAX and experience freezes of your making it your it easier for you to freeze your credit accounts.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I don't know what the situation is now, but back then they used to charge you a fee that you know this to freeze your accounts, and he set it up so you could get it for free too, so that way.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's still free. But I think for him to do it so that you had to go through his office was a smart move politically.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's nice. I mean, he didn't have to go through his office, but it made it easier.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Anytime a politician can make something easier for his or her constituents, which benef there. Miss Greight John, appreciate your callers. Always keep listening down there in North Carolina. Who's gonna carry North Carolina? Come come November fifth?
Speaker 9: Oh Trump easily?
Speaker 2: Okay, well we will see. Thank you very much, John, appreciate your call. You know, on Friday night at eleven o'clock, we will do our I think it's our sixth end of the month Friday night eleven o'clock presidential poll. And for the first time, we'll be doing a presidential poll that does not include the name Joe Biden. So stick with us on Friday night. You can call back on Friday night if you want.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay, Dan, you got it.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks John, talk to you all right. So we're gonna go back and we're gonna try April on KP on KPN April. We got your back, I hope. Hi.
Speaker 10: Can you hear me, dare?
Speaker 2: I could hear you better? Now? You go right ahead. Are you still on speakerphone?
Speaker 6: No? No, I'm not. I have my volume all the way up though.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll go ahead. We'll work with you. Go right ahead. Tell us your story of what question you have.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, Thank you for the po it's a great one. Yeah. Yeah, I was just wondering about the process of I know you were talking about the freezing of accounts, but do you know when a person applies for a loan and they get accepted, they usually send a hard copy letter to your house and or they send you an email, you know, congratulating you that you're you know, that your loan has been approved, and that's like within days. And I was just wondering, isn't that enough time to you know, to incorporate or you know, it's some kind of remediation, So so that can be reversed.
Speaker 2: Well, if let us say someone is able to get your information from the web, from from this data breach, okay, and they then decide that they're going to take a loan in your name or buy a car. If they first of all, they might use your information and use a different address. They might use a post office box. I mean, it seems to me that somebody is that like they will figure it out and then the damage has been done. I got to be honest with you, I'd like to think of myself as being fairly smart. I'm not a genius on this stuff, but my eyes got opened. Why tonight with our conversation with Professor Sheldon Jacobson, because that said to me that, and he was so emphatic and so clear. Freeze your credit accounts with TransUnion, Experience, and Equifax. He says, it doesn't cost you anything, and he said, if you do it properly, you're able then to unfreeze that account.
Speaker 6: Uh, well, right, yes, I understood everything he said. He was very a clear. It was great, great advice. So I just had one more quick question, and that is is freezing your credit good enough to prevent someone from stealing your house? Because I've heard of companies that have that provide title protection. So would someone be able to steal your house with you know, you know through that process.
Speaker 2: I've seen those companies, the title protection companies advertise a lot. My suspicion is that it varies from state to state, because I assume that Massachusetts has a pretty strict Every time that I've been involved in a transfer of property, there's a lot of documentation involved, and I would think that it would be very difficult in Massachusetts to go in Massachusetts now and I have not I have never heard, and I you know, normally we have a pretty aggressive media up here, and I see that in a good sense of the word, and I would suspect that if somebody, let's say, had their house stolen, I would suspect that at some point that would make the newspapers and we would hear about it. I've never heard about it in Massachusetts, just as I have not heard about squatters. I've seen stories about how in other states people show up at houses and they claim that they owned, that they have a lease or something like that, and that seems to be happening in states more down south than it does up here. I can't imagine, you know, if someone if you came home to your house some night, how long have you lived up on a on KPN, I'm not sure. Don't have to tell me what town you're living in, but how long have you lived up there? A while?
Speaker 6: Twenty five years?
Speaker 2: Same address?
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So let's assume you went away in a vacation and you came back home and somehow the locks in your house would changed, and someone had broken into your house and was squatting. I'm serious. I assume that you pay taxes. Do you rent it, do you own? Do you own? No?
Speaker 6: No, whit ow my own home?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you pay real estate taxes to the town in which you live. I assumed that there would be people in town hall who would know you. I would assume that the police department in Europe city or town would come down and evict those people who had taken up illegal residents, I would hope in your community. So a lot of this stuff that you see advertised is unnecessary. I'm not an expert in terms of these title insurance companies, but most of the time, when you have a real estate transaction in Massachusetts, it's wise to buy title insurance as well. To me and maybe that so yeah, and again, if you have any concern or fear about it, I would say, you know, go go in and talk to your whatever town you're in, going to your town hall and raise questions and see what people and find out if they say, oh, yeah, we've had a couple of people who have lost title or people have tried to tie that, you know, and say to them, well, what happened? Why? How did that happen? Okay, It's always good to ask questions.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you so much for the advice, April.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Sorry we had trouble getting you on. Have you called before? Was this your first time.
Speaker 6: I've called before.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it sounded like you're on speakerphone and that that sometimes can cause a distraction. Thanks so much. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to take a break. We got Peggy coming up. Peggy, we'll be back by the phone. I'm sure be ready to jump on. If you'd like to join the conversation and share your experience, where you had you were hacked, and what you did about it, what your experience has been, how difficult it has been if you have frozen your your your credit with Transam, TransUnion Experience or Experience or Equafax. Our guest last hour, uh doctor professor Professor Sheldon Jacobson, who is an expert in this area and was really a good guest. He said, get your get your credit with all of those three major credit companies frozen as soon as possible, and do it, and do it to protect yourself. We'll be back on Night's Side right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray ONBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're talking about protecting your assets and protecting your identity, and we're talking about a national public data breach of a few weeks ago that I read about and we received really inadequate information, So taking it tonight, and we've had some really interesting guests well, particularly Professor Sheldon Jacobson from Last Hour and you can listen to what he had to say. The hour will be posted on our web page our podcast page Nightside in Demand dot com. In the meantime, let's go to Peggy in South Boston. Peggy, I don't know where you were before, but I'm hoping you there now. Hi, Peggy, welcome.
Speaker 10: I will here.
Speaker 11: Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 2: Oh? I can hear you? Find now? Peggy? Go right ahead?
Speaker 10: Oh good, Well, I want to tell you what happened to me a few years ago. I was at a restaurant Nice Weston downtown Boston, into the lady's room, and I.
Speaker 11: Put my pocket book on the book, you know, and funny was using the toilet. Somebody came in and took my pocketbook right off. When I'm sitting on the johns. I went and told the owner of the restaurant did he gave me? Did you really gave me money? He gave me money to take a cab home. A few days later, the police knocked on my door. They found my pocketbook in a barow in East Boston. Shortly after that I had to go to court. Somebody use my credit cards for ten thousand dollars. My god, I hate credit cards.
Speaker 10: After Peggy.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get too personal with this, but I assumed the ladies room that you were in was a stall.
Speaker 11: Well that was a was. It's a nice place it was.
Speaker 2: I don't understand where was your You said your pocketbook was in front of you.
Speaker 11: How did they Yeah, it was hanging on the hook. You know how you go in and.
Speaker 2: Hanging on the hook inside the door or outside the door?
Speaker 11: Yes, no, I was hanging inside the door.
Speaker 2: And so what did they do? Just open the door and grabbed the pocketbook.
Speaker 11: Well, but I don't know who the heck it was. And then I'm a woman, But they put the dead hand right over the door and lifted my pocketbook and took off.
Speaker 2: Boy, they must have had a long armed, long arm of the law page.
Speaker 11: I'm telling I'm not only that, but it was a nice pocketbook I've gotten by I mean spaceman. I paid seventy five dollars story it was a beautiful weather.
Speaker 2: Oh, but you got the pocketbook back. You lost some cash, and you lost your credit cards and what a what a horrible credit cad.
Speaker 11: I had a lot of credit cards. Yeah, and then and then I had to go to couiit hand.
Speaker 2: You were the victim of a crime. You were the victim of a crime without you having the coverage to go to court that that that individual might have been. Yeah, yeah, I just said that.
Speaker 11: I mean, we're not the only I have now is co?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, that's good to know too. All Right, Peggy, thank you so much for the call. Have a great night. Thanks for the call, Have a great night. I think Peggy was having a little trouble here and how they reached the hand over the stall though, I don't know. I just hey, it can happen, I guess. Let's keep rolling here. We got a couple of open lines now at six, one, seven, two, ten thirty. That's finished Strong Lives. Let's go to Michael and Attleborough. Michael, you are next in line here one nights. I go ahead, Michael. I'm doing great. Michael. What's what's on you?
Speaker 4: You forgot about the rogue. The rogue d allow people to the squat and you cannot kick them out if they have nowhere to live.
Speaker 3: You forgot about that?
Speaker 2: No, No, What I said was that I have not heard that happening here in Massachusetts. I have seen it reported happening in other parts of the country, But to be honest with you, I've never seen it. I haven't heard seen any stories about it happening in Massachusetts. Have you?
Speaker 4: Okay, but is that still the law after Rolands got thrown out?
Speaker 2: After who got thrown out?
Speaker 11: Right to Rollins?
Speaker 4: Didn't she make that rule?
Speaker 2: No, she had nothing to do with squatting. She had She had a lot of rules that dealt with how much prosecution would occur if someone which was a ridiculous rule that you had to steal over eight hundred dollars. That had nothing to do. I don't know of any case in Massachusetts in which a squatter was able to stay in a house after the actual owner reported it to the police. I have seen stories out of places like Florida where that seems to have occurred. But I was saying simply that I had not seen that in Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought Rowland to put that in and no, no, no, no, no, no no no, I mean as crazy as Rachel Rawlins was with some of her ideas that that that she would not in charge for there were fifteen crimes, which was absurd, absurd, which is why she's no longer the DA, amongst other things.
Speaker 12: Well, I heard it.
Speaker 11: I heard it on your show, but I wanted to change change to one other thing quest.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what you heard of my show. But you did not hear anyone on my show, or I would have corrected them to say that she was saying, when I'm elected DA, it'll be okay to enter someone's home illegally and assume the residents claim to be the residence, which is known as squatic. Go ahead, Michael.
Speaker 4: I worked with the lady who wasn't getting her.
Speaker 8: Mail, so she went to the post office and the guy said, you changed your address about three weeks ago. So me, not minding my own business as we know, and always trying to be the hero, I went online and I found the address in North Carolina that her meal was going to and it was a brand new development. So I'm guessing what they did is they figured one hit of getting all this stuff out of the mailbox before anyone finds out.
Speaker 2: And now Okay, I'm confused. Did somebody change and have the mail forwarded? Or did they go to the post office? And actually, yes, I haven't I haven't finished the question. So they changed it to have the mail forwarded? Or did they go to the local post office and somehow get access to her mailbox? Was the mailbox in the local post office or at the end of her driveway? That I'm confused and the.
Speaker 3: End of her driveway. But what she did, what they.
Speaker 8: Did, is they went and they claimed, you know, I'm moving.
Speaker 2: Right, So they must have gone to the post office or filed something. Well again, that is so absurd that the post office would not have said, show us some identification. You know, in the old days, every maleman male carrier, they were called mailman. Back then, they knew everybody on their route because the route. I remember that our mailman when I was a young kid, his name was mister Lions, the mailman Lions, and we would kind of follow them around and uh and watch them deliver mail. Now your mail man changes every six months, which is crazy as well. So so did she did she get did you script? Were you the hero in this case? Michael?
Speaker 4: I'm always a hero, you know, that I know that, but sometimes.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they hear doesn't work. Okay, well, Michael.
Speaker 4: I'll call you Michael by your show. When I call your show, I educate people.
Speaker 2: That is true, Michael. You you were one of the primary educators on this program, and I thank you, and I thank you for it. And I don't know how many various degrees of higher education that you have, and there's no need for you to tell me, but I assume that you have several, and and we respect you forward, so I'm going to start calling you professor Michael.
Speaker 3: Come in cheek. I love it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I deserve that. Thank you, a great night.
Speaker 2: Good night, Michael. You're a good sport. We'll take a break. Coming right back on Nightside, Jeff and Whitman, Eugene, you both will be here. We got a couple of lines if you want, folks, got to be quick six one, seven, two thirty and also one at six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty equally available. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios. I'm dumbing Bzy News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go, Jeff and wit Men. Jeff, we got four calls. Your next that want to get you on and want to get three more on as well.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Jeff, Hey Dan.
Speaker 7: So few things that would recommend to people. I've been fighting credit cards for or credit history and everything for about ten years. Now, Okay, lock their histories. Like your guest said, I personally use into it credit karma.
Speaker 3: It's free.
Speaker 7: You sign up with it. They will tell you when there's changes. They will tell you when you paid stuff, when you've had things increase. I've every time you have a new card setup. So for example, I just got a new credit card, they'll tell you, hey, this new a credit card with your name on it. Walk in the account works. Somebody fictitiously signed up for a Capitol one card in my wife's name and they came to us said we couldn't complete this. Can you provide the info. The other thing that's the biggest problem, and I wish our legislators would work on this is I've been on sixty three data breaches in the last ten years, and some of them are companies like remember Cult Services that did flexible spending accounts. They had a data breach seven years since the last time I used them, and they're like, oops are bad we'll cover your credit monitoring for about a year. But my information's out there. We had just had the National background check database hacked at and T pretty much everybody's been hacked, and your information gets out there. And the thing is, you can't change your solid security number. If you're compromised, you can't change it. And if you want to deal with TransUnion, Equifax and Experience, I mean I think it TransUnion, and one of them is actually the same company nowadays, and I think it's Equifax is the one now saying pay us and we'll improve your score. And it's like, what a scam that is? Yeah, yeah, but a lot of them if somebody does something like the people said, somebody fictitiously takes your title, or they fictitiously buy something in your name, or better yet, I've been getting calls for time shares for probably like five years now. What I found out is somebody did a mail merge and got my information in there incorrectly. Or Another thing they do is they basically say, hey, Jeff has Jeff in some state has a timeshare. They find all the Jeffs in the country and now say they have a time share, and then they submit it.
Speaker 3: To the system.
Speaker 7: So there's all this fictitious data out there and it's just a battle.
Speaker 2: And Jeff, I wish you had called earlier because you are a font of information. We will get back at this topic. I got three other folks. I got to kind of accommodate here. But thank you. You've given us a lot of information. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Okay, have a great night you two.
Speaker 2: Jeff, thanks again. Yeah, it's I gotta ask everybody to be quick because we're running out of time. Eugene, you were next on nightside. Eugene, go run ahead.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Dan as your call. Jeff, I agree one hundred percent. Credit Karma is excellent. I've used it for several years, very very protective. One of the things a lot of people do not realize when using whether it's Windows, I, RS or Android, your browser that you use is critically important. Google is famous for collecting your information and selling it to the highest bidder.
Speaker 2: Well, I know from our previous conversations that you're somebody who knows a lot about this, so I I'm letting all that in here, my friends. I mean, people need to know that.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Like I said, it makes such a big difference. When I used to use Google Chrome, I started getting emails from companies advertising things that I had done a Google search turn Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah. I've had that experience as well, but I am a fan of into it credit Karma. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: Totally, okay. And the browser I use now, which has worked extra thus far, Duck Duck Go.
Speaker 2: I'm switching. I have switched to Duck dot Go as well. I'm with you on that, Eugene, I got two more. I got to try to sneak them in here, okay.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dan, God bless right back at.
Speaker 2: You, Gene, talk to you soon. Let me go next to real quickly, gonna get everybody in Darryl and Brunswick in New Brunswick, Darryl, I only got a minute for you.
Speaker 12: Go ahead, okay, Dan, real quick listening to your show. I actually checked into Canada only uses Transnion networks, yep, okay, And I'm gonna let people know across here. And reference to the mailman. The mailman used to stop for a beard our house all the time.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a good mailman.
Speaker 12: Well, used to sit on the porch and he looked like Santa Claus. So hey, there you go. We got elastics all the time.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks dear. Hopefully he treated you well on Christmas Eve. Thanks, good night. Last I called of the night Arlene and Beverly. Arlene. You're gonna wrap a really good two hours for us, ahead, Arlen.
Speaker 13: Okay, several years ago, I went into the dealer that I used. I leased cars for years from the same dealer, and they had me sit down and everything. He turned the screen. The man helping me turn the screen computer cream so I couldn't see it, and it said that I had died and what someone had done was to buy a whole bunch of stuff under my name and then file the death certificate.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 13: And it took me a week to take care of that mess.
Speaker 2: Oh what a mess, Arlene. Thank you so much. I mean, that's We've heard about so many scams tonight. We need to do more of this, and I promise you we will. And I know you called Lee, but I hope you call earlier next time. Thanks Arlene.
Speaker 11: Already, all right, I'll be.
Speaker 2: On Facebook Night Side with Dan Ray in about two minutes. Okay, I will be there for on night Side postgame. This was a really good show tonight. No, I don't say that often. Sometimes I'll say it's a good show. This was a really good show tonight. I would to thank all my guests and all my callers, lots of different callers tonight, great guests, particularly Professor Sheldon Jacobson and also doctor Catherine Brown. Thanks to all. Thanks to all of you callers and listeners. My name is Dan Rayl. And there's always all dogs, all cats, oh pets go to heaven. That's why Pal Charlie Rays who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's why all your pets are who passed. They loved you and you love them. And I do believe I'll see again tomorrow night, and I believe we'll see them again as well. Keep on hoping everybody, have a great Wednesday, See tomorrow night.