Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI, a M six.
Speaker 2: Forty Nature, Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture, Ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: It's Later with Mo Kelly on k IF. I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeart App, I'm Mark Ronner and it's the Runner Report. Time is merciful to us. It makes it easier to let things go, to forget terrible stuff, to put things into perspective, to forgive all the arguments and drama that tortured this as teenagers. I don't even remember the details so clearly now awful things people do to us. Moe's insults and abuses are those worth hanging on to. This is why we have the ressis. It's like the international criminal Court from movies we should never forget or forgive that were inflicted on us, which we paid money for. The Golden Raspberry Awards recognizing the worst movies are this weekend, same as the oscars. The perpetrators of these Code Browns would like you to forget them. We don't owe them that. Some well known filmmakers are weirdly thin skinned about movie critics, and some who I really like too. Some have even barred critics from press screenings over harsh reviews, and to them, I say, blow it right up your skirt, Director Karen's. You're putting something out in the world, asking people to pay for it, but don't want to be subject to reviews.
Speaker 4: Move to North Korea.
Speaker 3: Next you'll suggest we get rid of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Oh wait, they're doing that crap. I played by the same rules. I've endured countless reviews of my work, mostly in comics, some in video games, and hey, sometimes it's obvious the person who cranked out the reviews at Dunning Krueger Case, who didn't even understand what they read. Doesn't matter. You let them have their say. It's the price of hawking your art in public. Which brings us to the list of Razzie nominees. The winners were supposed to announced tomorrow, but I just checked the site and they're out now. I won't keep you in suspense. They all suck, so my picks and then the real winners, starting with worst Pictures. Some strong contenders here. First border Lands. That's a video game adaptation, always the mark of quality. But this is an astonishingly irritating one with almost no redeeming elements. Joker Folly Adoue an unbearable musical sequel that genuinely felt like the director's middle finger to anyone dumb enough to want a sequel. Madame Webb, one of those off brand Sony Marvel movies with Dakota Johnson, is some kind of lame psychic e mt. She winds up mentoring three irritating female future heroes. I have rarely seen something that gave me worse pangs of empathy embarrassment for everyone involved, except for Megalopolis. That's The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. Director Francis Ford Coppola's long time passion project had some bad word of mouth going in, but I thought it deserved the benefit of the doubt, and it was a bold move for him to finance it largely himself.
Speaker 4: But I was wrong.
Speaker 3: And if he winds up wearing one of those barrels with suspenders, that's on him. And finally, Reagan, that's a biopic of the Gipper with Dennis Quaid. Well, I wasn't about to watch a puff piece that romanticizes him because I have actual memories of him. My worst pick for worst picture is Joker fully ado Megalopolis was at least a well intentioned big swing. You shouldn't have expected much going into Borderlands, except for an explanation for why Kate Blanchett was slumming it and someday, not now, but someday, Madam Webb, may be funny for a trash movie night when your friends come over and you all get loaded and give it the mystery science theater treatment. The winner, according to the Razzies, was Madame Webb. Worst actor, Jack Black from Dear Santa. I wouldn't watch that if I were getting frostbite in the theater was playing in was the only place to get warm. Zachary Levi Harold in the Purple Crayon, Nope, I'm an adult. Dennis Quaid from Reagan. Anyone can do Reagan. I just did it, did you hear well? Jerry Seinfeld Unfrosted. I'm afraid my judgment of Seinfeld might be unfairly affected by what a jerky was as himself in Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Not so much on frosted as insufferable. But the winner for me was Joaquin Phoenix and Joker and especially annoying self indulgent performance. So the best thing you could say about that is because of the ending, he won't be back for a third one. Sorry, it's been out for a really long time. The official winner Jerry Seinfeld Worst Actress. We've got Kate Blanchett from Borderlands. She still looks weirdly hot in it, so I'm gonna move on. Lady Gagon The Joker Movie a contender for sure, but it's like singling out just one of the guys who clubs Baby Seals. It's not all on her. Bryce Dallas Howard Argyle. Didn't she do enough damage that miserably dumb Jurassic Park movie trilogy. I think she was in world. I only what effort Jurassic bowel movement. I've compulsively watched nearly every spy movie and show ever made no exaggeration. I love that stuff. But after seeing the trailer for our Guyle, I thought, Nah, life's too short. I don't hate myself enough yet to watch this. Dakota Johnson Madam Webb. She gave off a palpable vibe of just not wanting to be there, and it was honestly the only relatable thing about her in the movie. The winner for me was Jennifer Lopez in Atlas. You may like her, you may enjoy your music, you may find her attractive. But as an actor, let's just say she's not getting a lot of the parts. Judy Dench passes on. If we sent her to do a live version of this movie in Ukraine, Russia would pull out. The official winner. The Razu winner is Dakota Johnson from Madam Webb. Now I'm gonna skip over supporting actor, supporting actress, director. No need to pile on, We'll skip the The director winner actually was Francis Ford Coppola, and he issued a statement he was a pretty good sport about it. Worst screen combo, any two obnoxious characters, but especially Jack Black from border Lands. That really is a movie where you're actively rooting for all the protagonists to die. Any two unfunny comedic actors from Unfrosted pass but thanks for the warning. The entire cast of Megalopolis, I'm not sure the blame lies with the cast in Megalopolis, the Ford movie. They wanted to work with the legendary director. It was his vision, They had the script he gave him. It's sort of like a group of people all falling through the floorboards of an outhouse. I mostly just felt sorry for him. Dennis quaidon Penelope Anne Miller is Ronnie and Nancy and Reagan pass and my pick is the same as the winner Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga from the Joker movie give him the goal? Do they love each other? Is one of them playing the other? Can we at least agree that couples should never sing to or with each other in public? Man, I felt like an awkward guest at the home of a couple friends who break into a drunken shouting argument then try to recruit me for a three way Yuck yuck? Where's My Keys? The worst prequel, remake, rip off or sequel first Rebel Moon two The Scargiver. My God, I wasted hours of my life on Zack Snyder's Rebel moon Ie the ass Number or whatever.
Speaker 4: It was called.
Speaker 3: Just like with Dune, it was one of those fool me twice shame on me situations, like an even dumber version of the latter Star Wars sequels, except nobody asked for them. Moving On the Crow or remake exceptionally bad with Bill Scarsguard as the Crow. It felt like something Andrew Tait extorted him into doing Mufasa the Lion King. I'm an adult, didn't see this one, Tawala. Now moving on Craven the Hunter that put a nail in the coffin of Sony Spider Verse and possibly arn Taylor Johnson's career unless Amazon hauls off and makes him the next James bond Ug The Winner, Joker fully Adou from me sequel that drives home the whole less is more Adage? What was the and I think that was the official winner as well. We're screenplay. These movies had screenplays. We have Joker, we have Craven the Hunter, Madam Webb, Megalopolis, Reagan and it's kind of a photo finish with all these they're all terrible. But a howler in the Craven movie stuck with me from when he's in an elevator and he pulls out a knife.
Speaker 4: Here's this This that's my Traplin knife. Use it for work? Huh? What you do for work? Exactly? I hunt.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 4: He hunts people, Grandpas, he hunts people.
Speaker 3: Actually, Craven's full of his hilariously a bad dialogue. My father puts evil into the world. I take it out I don't know if you guys saw Craven. I saw it by myself. This wasn't a group outing. There's another one. I stared death in the face and for the first time I saw my true self. There's more, but I just I would have given this one to Craven.
Speaker 4: They gave it to Madam Webb.
Speaker 3: But really these are all flip These are all winners in the sense that they got an evening and some cash out of us, and we should never forget that.
Speaker 4: There's your Runner report mode. You feel like you need a shower now.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think I've seen more Razzy nominees that I have Academy Award nominees.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm the same as you.
Speaker 3: I saw most of these, and there's some of the Oscar nominees I'm just not gonna see because I'm not interested in them.
Speaker 4: So what's that say for our taste? It's probably pretty damn good. I mean, we saw him. It doesn't make it a good movie.
Speaker 5: But just because you're nominated for an Oscar doesn't mean that you're going to garner my interests. Most of these movies, and we'll talk about it next segment. I just didn't have any desire to see and part of wanting to be entertained is subject matter that appeals to me. It doesn't mean that the content or the movie subsequently is going to be good, but I would much rather take my chances with Madam Webb than the Brutalist.
Speaker 3: Well, the Brutalist is good. I liked it, but you've got to be in the mood to settle in for That's my point three. Plus our movie and Guy Pearce is terrific in The Brutalist. But you know, just as you've talked about with the Grammys and the music industry, if you think the Oscars are one hundred percent based on merit, you've got another thing coming.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty