Speaker 1: In the United States of America, some of the world's most dangerous and notorious criminals are locked behind bars.
Speaker 2: Ryan Nichols is not only a murderer who murdered innocent victims in a port of law. He definitely with somebody who engaged in all kinds of different crimes.
Speaker 1: While on trail for rape, Brian Nichols went on a rampage.
Speaker 3: He hit her so hard that her head went against the cinder black wall, knocked her out.
Speaker 4: I forced my way into the court and I saw Judge Barnes Lane with blood coming out of the back of his head.
Speaker 1: A prisoner who was armed and dangerous was free and on the run.
Speaker 3: He forces his way into a grunette woman's apartment. I was concerned because he was now out. I then called my wife and told her to get our daughter out of school.
Speaker 2: He's just willing to mow over anyone who gets in his way, so he's absolutely still danger no matter.
Speaker 3: Where he is.
Speaker 1: Brian Nichols suddenly claimed the top spot in America's most wanted.
Speaker 5: Brian Nichols assaults a deputy, steals her gun, then hunts down and murders Judge Rolling Barnes and his court reporter outside Deputy Hoy Teasley is shot and killed by Nichols on the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Even when he was securely locked behind bars. Brian Nichols posed a serious threat to everyone.
Speaker 6: He meant.
Speaker 3: They move him from place to face. They do not let the same guards garden him for a prolonged period of time because they don't want them to get too comfortable with him. And if he gets out, there's no telling.
Speaker 6: What he might do.
Speaker 1: Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison is a maximum security facility home to around two five hundred inmates.
Speaker 7: A maximum security prison, it's more restrictive. They have gun posts, there's more fences. The theme that makes maximum security prisons more dangerous is that the inmates in there usually usually have a longer sentence, so they've already made it up their minds that they're going to live and die in prison.
Speaker 6: That's their home.
Speaker 7: So when it does kick off, they go all the way.
Speaker 3: They they'll attempt to kill you.
Speaker 1: One of the most feared inmates kept behind bars here is mass murderer Brian Nichols.
Speaker 3: I think he's the kind of person that's always thinking, always analyzing, always looking for the crack on the wall, always looking for the light through the door. I think Brian could be a potential escape risk. I think if Nichols felt cornered, I think he would very possibly kill again. He with a natural bowing color.
Speaker 1: In stark contrast to many of the world's most dangerous prisoners, thirty three year old Brian Nichols had enjoyed a good life.
Speaker 3: He was educated, he was employed at a pretty good job, and apparently he was pretty good at it, and he basically he was living a successful life.
Speaker 1: But everything changed when he was accused of rape and aggravated abuse by a former girlfriend.
Speaker 3: He was facing very significant jail time if he got convicted of any number of the counts that were lodged against him.
Speaker 1: Nicholls behavior in court made everyone nervous.
Speaker 3: Before I left the house, I remember the last thing I said to my wife was I don't feel safe in that court room.
Speaker 1: Their fears were confirmed when Nichols suddenly turned violent.
Speaker 3: And one of the deputies went into the lock up with her gun. At that point in time, he hit her. Hit her so hard that her head went against the cinder block wall, knocked her out.
Speaker 1: Now on the loose in the courthouse, Nichols went on a killing spree.
Speaker 3: June Barden wouldn't have seen him come into the main room. Brian shot June Bards on the left side of the head.
Speaker 1: He then took his rampage out onto the streets.
Speaker 8: And there was a house with a door open, and there was a federal agent and they are working on his bathrooms. He ended up killing the man, and shortly after that when he kidnapped a girl.
Speaker 3: Something happened that made him go from kind of a regular person to somebody who had killed four people.
Speaker 1: Nichols grew up in a middle class family during the nineteen seventies and eighties in Baltimore, Maryland. He was a good student and a talented sportsman.
Speaker 3: He had a very involved family and they were intact. They were together, so he had people who liked him. He had a body of friends.
Speaker 1: At the age of twenty one, Nichols was kicked off the college football team for stealing and moved to Atlanta, Georgia, seeming to make a new start. Nichols secured a steady job at a multinational technology company, and he had got himself a girlfriend.
Speaker 3: She was a very successful woman in the Times. I spoke with her. I found her to be very intelligent, very articulate, very well put together intellectually. She had a lot going for her, and that was a good compliment because Brian was also very intelligent.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and four, when Brian Nichols was thirty two years old, his life took a sudden downward spiral when he was accused of rape.
Speaker 3: I am Barry Hazen. I'm an attorney, criminal defense attorney, and i represented Brian Nichols in two thousand and four and five where he was charged with the rape in Atlanta, Georgia. The woman who lodged the complaint against Brian as a woman who who had been in a relationship with him for a number of years. They didn't live together, but they were very much a couple in a lot of ways. I know they were talking about getting married.
Speaker 1: The relationship was not without its difficulties, and Brian was not faithful.
Speaker 3: He did have another relationship during that period of time, and there was another woman and she became pregnant through Brian, and that created a lot of turmoil in Brian's relationship.
Speaker 1: Brian's girlfriend eventually left him, but Brian was not ready to let her go.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about rape is that people think of rape as a sex crime, and while yes, it has a horrific sexual component, the real driving factor behind rape is control. And so it sounds like in this case, his girlfriend had left him, which caused a void, which caused anger, which caused resentment. So as a result of that anger, he decided to ductape her and rape her and sodomize her in order to exert control over a situation that he no longer had control over it.
Speaker 3: The first time I met and saw Brian was at the Fulton County Jail. He was being held without bond. The conditions at the Fulton County Jail were not very good conditions.
Speaker 9: At all.
Speaker 3: Of the jails I go to. I think it's probably the least desirable place to be.
Speaker 7: Inmates that end up in County jail can be anywhere from getting a DUI, driving under the influence, murder, rape, molestation, robbery, armed robbery.
Speaker 3: We spent probably an hour hour and a half talking back and forth about the facts of the case with clients. Sometimes you build a relationship right away, sometimes it takes a while. But when Brian there was a.
Speaker 1: Bond, Barry Hazen knew Nichols faced significant jail time as he had been charged with a number of offenses.
Speaker 3: I think there are about six or seven counts altogether, but of course the biggest one was rape, which could get you a life sentence in Georgia. The aggravated assault was very serious. I can get you up to twenty years in Georgia. The others were less, but the serious He was facing very significant jail time if he got convicted of any number of the counts that were lodged against him. I knew it was going to be a challenging case, because any time that you have a sex related case, a rape case, you're walking uphill with the rock. But I liked Brian. I found Brian to be very intelligent, very articulate, very warm with me, very respectful of me. And I believed that there were sufficient facts to work with to be able to defend Brian.
Speaker 1: But there was one issue about Nichols that niggled Berry.
Speaker 3: I thought that Brian and was taken with himself. I think that Brian had perhaps certain narcissistic tendencies. I didn't think he was mentally ill, but I thought that there were certain issues that I needed to take note of.
Speaker 1: On February twenty first, two thousand and five, the trial started at Fulton County Courthouse. Despite building a strong rapport with his client, very quickly noticed there were red flags in Nichols's behavior.
Speaker 3: The first day of trial, I think the judge was being tested by Brian. Ryan immediately said he had to go to the bathroom, I remember, and it must have been in there for twenty minutes, and the judge was asking where is he, where is he? Where is he? What's what's going on here? And he ordered me to go in there to get him, and Brian was just standing there. And so I don't know what was going on other than the fact that we already had a judge that was irritated.
Speaker 1: Superior Court Judge Roland Barnes was presiding over the hearing.
Speaker 4: He was understanding and he cared about people. He could care if you were richal poor, he cared about you. Almost everybody wanted to go in front of Judge Barnes because they know they would be treated fear.
Speaker 1: The trial continued for five days, and throughout Barry was concerned about what Nichols would try next and.
Speaker 3: Didn't feel threatened by him At all, but I felt that he was being kind of a powdy kid in a way, being resistive to the authority of the court over him.
Speaker 1: Despite Nichols's provocative behavior, Barry was doing his best to secure a positive outcome for his client.
Speaker 3: It went really well for him. I mean, the vote was eight four not guilty. And then there was a discussion with the judge and the district attorney myself.
Speaker 1: It was a hung jury. The prosecutors wanted a retrial, but Judge Barnes was not keen.
Speaker 3: The judge did not want to retry the case. He wanted them to let it go, and his faithful decision for him. Throwing up his hands, said okay, then we'll retry it on Monday.
Speaker 1: The prospect of sitting alongside Brian Nichols again for.
Speaker 3: The retrial made very nervous. I thought the danger was a possibility. Something was up. I wasn't sure what it was. I didn't know if I had anything planned, but I thought the mind was spinning at that point in time. I thought we could have a problem.
Speaker 1: Early morning on March seventh, two thousand and five, the retrial of thirty three year old Brian Nichols for the offenses, including the rape and battery of his former girlfriend, began.
Speaker 6: My name is Brantley White.
Speaker 4: I was a sergeant with the Fulding County Sheriff Department and a bailiff for a Judge rode On Barnes on the Brion Nichols case. At the courthouse, you are controlling the courtroom. You are brain inmates in front of the judge. Brion Nichols was very quiet as carrying a bible. He didn't give any problems. He complied with whatever you tell him.
Speaker 1: Nichols appeared to behave himself. That was until day four when Judge Barnes made a shocking discovery and the judge.
Speaker 3: Called us into chambers and he was very angry, which is unusual for Judge Barnes. He was such an easy going man that he had a Manila folder and he tossed the folder across the desk almost at me, like an anger, and the pictures slid out of the folder. There were two photographs, and he said, here, this is what we found in your client's shoes yesterday. They looked like hinges without the spindles because they had holes in him and you could see that hadn't been sharpened, they had been scraped. We found out later that it was the frame from the light fixture in his cell that he had taken apart, and he had two of those planks, one in each shoe. That's when I thought, well, wait a minute, we're going beyond being resistance here. Something's not right. There was a threat he had crossed the line with me.
Speaker 1: While Barry could never have imagined what his client would do next, the judge was evidently nervous.
Speaker 3: The tension level on that Thursday was high. The judge seemed concerned. The judge said, we need to get things off the tables that he can use. For instance, you know they have these little plastic discs that you run wire through. The judge ordered those removed from the table. He the water pitchers removed from the table so they couldn't be used as a weapon. The judge actually said, we need more beef in the court, and that's the way you put it. I remember looking back to see if there was going to be more beef, and they had the same middle aged woman deputy about thirty feet behind him, and she wasn't going to be in to help, And so I became concerned and then the judge he put his hand on my shoulder and said, you need to stay alert because you're sitting right next to him.
Speaker 1: On the final day of the retrial, Nichols was as usual, being held in Fulton County Jail until proceedings began in the courthouse. Grantly White was the bailiff assigned to Judge Barnes that day.
Speaker 4: I always every morning before the court starts, pray protection to God to protect me. This is the first time I have given an interview about.
Speaker 6: What happened. It's hard to talk about it.
Speaker 10: On Marsh the eleventh, two thousand and five, the last day for the trial of Barrin Nicholas, I asked the judge if I can go, if I can get breakfast, and he said yes.
Speaker 4: He was just stucking to attorneys about their feet and he felt safe that nothing would happen.
Speaker 3: And Nicholas was hearing from Rice Street in Fulton Kenny Jail by van each morning to the courthouse and there's a sally port kind of on the back of the courthouse where they bring prisoners in. They don't come in through the main entrance and they're brought up in an elevator, you know, I secured elevator to whatever floor the court room is on, and then he'd be escorted into that. Before I left the house, I remember the last thing I said to my WiFi is I don't feel safe in that. Up until the day before, I had no problem with it. I knew he was being a problem for other people, but I didn't really think he was a physical threat. But suddenly I did.
Speaker 1: At eight forty five am, Nichols had been transferred from Fulton County Jail to a holding cell located in the new building of Fulton County Courthouse.
Speaker 6: There's alage, risks and balls.
Speaker 4: When an m counts to court on a jury trial, he's brought upstairs to change into civilian clothes.
Speaker 6: He opened a door.
Speaker 4: And then you remove the handcuffs from the inmate and released him into holding cell. This is very risky because most problems happened when you moving the handcuffs from inmates.
Speaker 1: Nichols was being escorted into the court by a female deputy.
Speaker 3: He took pride in being a ladies man and being able to charm people. The deputy she liked him. She actually told me this guy is innocent, so she felt that, you know, she was forming a kinship with him.
Speaker 1: The deputy had built a trust with Nichols and had let down her guard.
Speaker 3: And one of the deputies went into the lock up with her with her gun at that point in time, he hit her, hit her so hard that her head when he against the cinder block wall, knocked her out. He took her key, and now he also come put on civilian clothes, and he's got a gun, and then calmly walked across that bridge from the new building into the old building where Judge Barnes is.
Speaker 4: As I turned the corner to go down the hallway, I saw the person with a gun in the hand. Then I recognized it was Brian Nichols. He didn't shoot me right away, so I figured he didn't want to kill me.
Speaker 6: So I decided to see if I can.
Speaker 4: Talk to him, and I asked him what he was doing, and he kept saying, don't do anything. Don't do anything, sir, don't do anything. And I tried to tell him, well, there's no reason for him to do it. He said it's too late for that.
Speaker 1: Rather than make his escape, it appeared that Nichols had a plan and was intent on vengeance and took Grantly hostage, and.
Speaker 4: He put the gun to the back of my head and he took my gun. He walked me into Judge's office and when I walked through the door, I saw there were some of the folks that worked.
Speaker 6: For the judge.
Speaker 4: Then Brian Nicholas said to me, handcuffed these folks. I didn't want to do it. One of the lady said, please, Grantly, please do what he said. Then he said, handcuff yourself. Brian Nichols threw the handcuffs at me and I looked at it and I saw blood on him. I knew that belongs to my deputy cause her name was engrave Onned. The thought ran through my mind that he had killed her. I handcuffed my and I tried to make them loose so maybe I can get out of them, because I knew that under the judge's desk was a dressed button. As I stand over by the desk, I thought to myself, how am I going to do this? So I decided to fake a heart attack and fell down on my knees. And as I fell down on my knees, I pushed the button underneath the judge's desk.
Speaker 1: Central Control responded to the alarm call, but Nichols was ready and reported all was well, but operators said something was very wrong.
Speaker 6: One of the sergeants in the central control knew my.
Speaker 4: Voice and said, that's not White, that's not Sergeant White's voice. Then I heard one of the ladies said, Sergeant, he's gone, He's gone.
Speaker 1: Well. Grantly grabbed his rado to tell central control what had just happened. Nichols was tracking down his first kill.
Speaker 3: He then calmly walked into Judge Barnes's chambers. I remember Judge Barnes is on the bench on the divorce case. He walks into chambers unlocked door and then goes from chambers into the court room. Judge Barton wouldn't have seen him come into the main room, and just immediately Brian turned to his right shot Judge Bards on the left side of the head. When Julie Brenda the court border, turned around, he shot her and then left the court room through the main door.
Speaker 1: Grantly had heard the gunshots and ran to the courtroom.
Speaker 4: I forced my way into the courtroom and I saw Judge Barnes lane by his desk of blood coming out of the back of his head and I saw Julie.
Speaker 6: I meant to put a bunch of Depts grab me and pulled me out of the courtroom.
Speaker 1: Nichols was making his bold for freedom.
Speaker 3: He then went down the stairs and one of the deputies went running after him.
Speaker 1: Having shot the judge and the court reporter, Brian Nichols began his escape from the County courthouse.
Speaker 2: Nichols targeted the judge because he really believed the judge was probably responsible for his fate. While the judge may have been responsible for having finding him guilty or not guilty and imposing sentence, what Nichols is unable to process in his mind is that it's not ultimately the judge's fault. It's his fault. He's the one that chose to engage in the rape. He's the one that chose to engage in the violence. He's the one that.
Speaker 6: Got himself arrested.
Speaker 2: But he's unable to take accountability for his actions.
Speaker 1: Nichols was trying to escape the courthouse but was being chased down.
Speaker 3: He got down to the bottom floor, and when the deputy came running after him through the door, shot the deputy. Also Deputy Teasley.
Speaker 4: I thought, in my mind it maybe a deputy had shot by Nicholas, but he had shut one of the deputies that proceeded down the stairs behind him.
Speaker 6: That's horrible. It was a horrible day.
Speaker 1: As forty three year old father of two, Hoyit Teasley lay dying, Nichols went on the run.
Speaker 2: It really shows not only the level of savagery and sadism that Nichols was willing to go to in order to gain his freedom in a way that was clearly never going to work long term, but also his lack of accountability. What makes Nichols such a dangerous prisoner is that he's willing to go to really great lengths to get his needs met. That's just the way Nichols thinks. There's no other way for him to you escape threat other than violence.
Speaker 1: Unaware of his client's killing spree, defense attorney Barry Hazen was making his way to the courthouse to get ready for the nine to fifteen start.
Speaker 3: As if walking to the courthouse, I heard sirens. Maybe four or five seconds after I heard them, these cars were whizzing past me. Police corps whizzing passing me to the courthouse, and then I saw deputies pouring out of the courthouse from different exits, guns drawn, and I knew, I just knew that it had to involve Brian. One of the deputies who I know, came running up the street and shoved me into a storefront and said, you're in danger. Your client is just shot Judge Barnes. I was concerned because he was now out. I then called my wife and told her to get our daughter out of school and do not go home. If he was looking for a van. I don't know how he felt about me, but it was a pretty tense, tense time. I mean, we didn't know where he was or what he might took.
Speaker 1: Intent on evading justice, Nichols turned his attention to getting out of Atlanta.
Speaker 8: In two thousand and five, I was working at the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I was a featured reporter and it was a good job. I parked in the usual spot always parked, and I usually got there around nine thirty or so. I didn't have the radio on, so I didn't hear any news was what was going on. It just seemed like another ordinary day. So I walked my car and was about to leave when the SUV pulled in Miss iv nice looking black man with no shirt, said do you know how to get to Linux Square, which is a local shopping mall. Being told light, I started giving him direction. He got out of the car and walked around. I didn't think anything about it until he pulled the gun.
Speaker 1: Dawn was the fourth person Nichols had confronted since escaping. He was completely unaware the man holding the gun was a multiple murderer.
Speaker 8: When he said give me your keys, and I said to myself, since the car jacking, it's just stay calm, give him the keys and he'll drive off. And that set But then when he took my keys and unlocked trunk he told me to get in, I knew this was serious business. He was giving orders like a drill instructor. He was not eratic, he was amazingly calm. He was just upset that I wouldn't follow his directions. We kind of stared at each other for a few minutes, and he said, get in the trunk.
Speaker 6: I'll kid you.
Speaker 8: I shook my head and he kept kept closer and glared at me, and he said get in the trunk, I'll shoot you. And after I refused to get into the trunk, he ended up hitting me over my eye and I fell, and then I scrambled to my feet and ran out this way.
Speaker 6: This was the most terrifying thing that ever happened.
Speaker 8: I never had a gun pointed at me, I'd never been threatened, but I think I was reasonably calm considering the situation. And I went two blocks up that way and ran into a fellow reporter and he told me they'd been a shooting at the courthouse. The judge had been killed, two other people shot, and he said, sounds like the same guy.
Speaker 9: And he said there were police for down a block interview people. And so I went there, told me when had happened, despite my green Honda that he had taken. And then I went to the medical center to get my.
Speaker 3: Wrists fixed and my eyes stitched.
Speaker 9: And that was my.
Speaker 3: Morning so far.
Speaker 1: While law enforcement were desperately trying to locate Nichols, the scene at Fulton County Courthouse was one of devastation.
Speaker 6: It still affects me up to this day. It's hard to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Judge Byrne was the only judge.
Speaker 6: He was my friend.
Speaker 4: Julie was special. She was really time. Julie made sure that the jury how to cake every morning. She was really really.
Speaker 3: Nice Julie Brandeu. She was warm and wonderful and friendly. It went with Judge Barnes. His chambers was a place of if you had some time between cases and you wanted to hang out somewhere, you can go there and just sit there and eat popcorn, have a cup of coffee. He didn't have a walk on the store all the other thing judges did. His was wide open, and Julie Brandew had that others did also. She was just this really nice person.
Speaker 1: As Atlanta Police Department took over the crime scene, officers had no idea where Nichols was and offered a substantial reward for information.
Speaker 8: Whether he had done was to drive my car at one level, backed it into the parking space, taken my navy blazer out of the car and put it on, walked across to the Martyr. The mass transit system took the train to Lenox Square.
Speaker 1: With Nichols now the focus of one of the biggest manhunts America had ever seen, police were unaware he was just seven miles away in the streets around the Lenox Square shopping mall. Thirteen hours on from his first kill, he was about to take another innocent life.
Speaker 8: He was looking for a place to hide or whatever, and there was a house with a door open, and there was a federal agent and they are working on his bathroom.
Speaker 1: The crime spree continued, with Nickels shooting and killing US Customs Agent David Wilhelm at his home. He then steals his pickup truck, badge, and pistol.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty tense tense time. I mean, we didn't know where he was or what he might do. What we did find out is that he committed a lark another killing that night where he shot the federal Marshall, which is about a half a mile from my house.
Speaker 1: With the murder of off duty federal agent David Wilhelm freshly in his wake, Nichols headed thirty miles north to Gwinnette County.
Speaker 3: I was asked to come down to downtown Atlanta. They wanted to film a request for him to turn himself in. And all of a sudden, a driver gets in the van and a reporter gets in the van and we take off and he says, oh, he's in Gwinnette County. I'm just sitting in his van. At this point in time, I'm like prisoner.
Speaker 1: At around two a m Ashley Smith was unpacking her new apartment when she headed out briefly to buy cigarettes. On her return, Nichols was waiting in the shadows a gun to her back. He forced his way into her apartment.
Speaker 3: He forces his way into a gorunette woman's apartment. A swap team surrounds.
Speaker 1: Nichols, having killed four innocent people in a murderous rampage. Alleged rapist Brian Nichols was on the run. He had reached a town thirty miles north of downtown Atlanta.
Speaker 2: A lot of people high on psychopathy actually tend to be very impulsive and not engage in long term thinking, and those four people were in his way, and so it was a means to an end.
Speaker 1: Nichols was aware the police were on his trail and had taken a hostage single mom, Ashley Smith. Ashley Smith had managed to stay alive by gaining the trust of Nichols, spending the night talking about God and forgiveness.
Speaker 3: They believe there is a hostage situation going on right now. This is in Duluth, Georgia. It's about fifteen miles north of the Fulton County Courthouse in Atlanta. Where we know three people were killed yesterday.
Speaker 1: Ashley had made Nichols breakfast and encouraged the killer to turn himself in. He refused. At around nine to fifteen am, Ashley managed to persuade Nichols to let her go and see her daughter. As soon as she was in the car, she dialed nine one one at least quickly surrounded the area.
Speaker 3: We're about maybe one hundred and fifty feet from where he was, perhaps, and this apartment was surrounded, and I thought, if he doesn't come out, they're gonna kill him. But fortunately he waved a white shirt and then they swamped him and he was just covered. You couldn't even see him at that point in time. He did ask for me to come talk to him. I decline. My attitude was that I represented him on a rape case. I was not representing him on a murder case, especially given the fact that I knew the people who had killed and then George Barnson, who really brand down and there's no way I.
Speaker 10: Can do that.
Speaker 1: As the city of Atlanta emerged from a twenty six hour lockdown, Ryan Nichols was securely locked away once again at Fulton County Jail.
Speaker 7: When a person commits a crime out on the streets, they get arrested, they go to the police department to get processed, and then they'll go to county jail.
Speaker 6: That's where they'll take away their.
Speaker 7: Belongings, dress them out and inmate attire, and fingerprint them, book them, and they wait there until they get scheduled to go to prison.
Speaker 1: Just under two months later, Nichols was indicted by a Fulton County grand jury on fifty four counts. Citing mental health issues. Nichols pleaded not guilty.
Speaker 2: He may have planned these murders in order to get the death penalty, it seems more like his goal was just to escape the courthouse, just to escape prison and not think much about the future.
Speaker 1: While awaiting trial at Fulton County Jail, Nichols attempted to enlist two sheriff's deputies while plotting an escape.
Speaker 7: It is safe to assume that every inmate wants to escape from prison. I would say some personality traits of somebody attempting to escape or wanting to escape would be maybe growing out their hair one day or cutting into the next to be able to disguise themselves as they attempt to flee. Getting physically fit so that they are able to run or walk multiple miles, learning the layout of the surrounding areas in towns, maybe acquiring a map, a compass, a cell phone to.
Speaker 6: Aid them in an escape.
Speaker 7: Those are the type of ones that are kind of smart with it.
Speaker 1: Deemed a high security risk, Nichols was moved to Decob County Jail. He remained here for two years until on July tenth, two thousand and eight, nichols murder trial began. He maintained his plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.
Speaker 8: Well, it was actually the first time I had been a witness in the trial, especially when I was involved with it, and it was.
Speaker 6: I was very nervous.
Speaker 8: They asked me to point him out in the courtroom. That's when I had flashed back because I knew I was going to have to tell the story again. And then image flashed through my mind about everything, and yeah, I don't I wasn't going to be in the same room with him again.
Speaker 6: Actually broke down.
Speaker 4: Understand Nicholas was sitting with the attorneys next to him.
Speaker 6: I kept looking at him.
Speaker 4: I kept staring at him. I could not help but stare at him. I'm such an evil person. It was hard because of the loss of my friends, Judge and Julie deputies something I would never.
Speaker 6: Forget. I lived with it for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: In an incredible turn of events, it transpired that Nichols had killed the man about to give him his freedom.
Speaker 3: About six months after the shooting, look at a telephone call from an attorney and told me that the night before the shooting that he had a conversation with Judge Barnes about the case. Judge Barnes told him he was going to cut Brian Nichols free by granting a motion for a directed verdict of a quittle. If the defense thinks there's not enough evidence legally for a jury to even find somebody guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is a legal issue. It's insufficient, you can make a motion for a directed verdict of acquittal. So Brian killed the person that was going to cut him loose. The case would not even gone to the jury. Brian was going to go home.
Speaker 1: The jury deliberated for twelve hours over two days before finding Nichols guilty of four counts of murder and fifty other charges, sentenced to multiple life sentences with no chance of parole. Nichols was spared the death penalty when the jury failed to reach a unanimous decision.
Speaker 8: I think two or three people other than guess it. But it all depends on who the jury is. If someone looks and they say it looks like a killer, looks like a horrible person and more likely to do that. But he looked like an ordinary middle class guy. They blamed it on something mental, not the fact that he's with a natural born killer.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was pretty to diverted because he's got a long time to think. He was given over two hundred years, I think, and brand in prison is worse than the death. Finally, they should.
Speaker 1: Be sentenced to four consecutive life sentences. Nichols was incarcerated in Georgia Diagnostic and Classification State Prison. With a history of escape attempts and plots, Nichols means a high security risk to those guarding him.
Speaker 3: My under setting is they move him from place to pace. They do not let the same guards guarden him for a prolonged period of time because they don't want them to get too comfortable with him that they know. They move him around, different people interact with him, because he's considered to be a high security risk, and I believe he is. I think if he felt cornered, I think he would very possibly kill again.
Speaker 4: Brannick is the person you cannot Trust's a woven sheep clothing.
Speaker 1: Nichol's rap sheet, which features the death of so many law enforcement officials, has given him kudos with other prisoners.
Speaker 7: Reputation in prison is pretty much everything. So if a suspect committed a crime out on the streets, would it carry over the reputation inside of prison? That all depends on the notoriety did it make the news? Was a person that the crime was committed against? Was it a police officer? So depending on who the victim was and the circumstances of the crime, absolutely that reputa can carry inside the prison.
Speaker 3: My guess is he's probably got a bit of notoriety there in the prison population. If you don't have much in prison, you try to garner what will you do have he'll die there unless he, you know, escapes.
Speaker 1: One thing remains clear to all involved in this case. Brian Nichols is still one of the world's most evil prisoners.
Speaker 4: The impact of what he had done, he had taken a judge everyone liked.
Speaker 6: He took a court reporter, a beautiful person. He took a deputy life. A deputy will be there for you anytime.
Speaker 4: He impacts so many people's lives, all the families of the victims. No one would never be the Saint