Speaker 1: You're listening to a wake up call on demand from KFI AM six forty and now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's not Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Chris Merrill in for Bill Today. Pleasure having you. There is something about listening to Amy King talk.
Speaker 3: About the pets, the wiggling and the wagon and all that, and it just it brings a smile on my face every morning.
Speaker 2: I love hearing you talk about that.
Speaker 4: Well, you should come join us.
Speaker 3: Also, you geeking out over the comic book stuff was great.
Speaker 4: I have to tell you that it was so cool.
Speaker 5: Like again, we saw the metal that Mark Hamill wore in the last scene.
Speaker 4: Of Star Wars.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's that kind of stuff, and like Superman's real costume that he wore, Spangler's a real uniform that he wore in Ghostbusters.
Speaker 4: It was just super cool.
Speaker 2: That is awesome, And I love that you love that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's hard to find a woman who likes that kind of geeky stuff. But you're You're a unicorn and I love that about you. Oh that's great, that's excellent.
Speaker 2: I have to start today by telling you that.
Speaker 3: I I mean, I'm not wrong yet, but it's looking like I might be wrong about something. Yesterday I said, when it came to this signal app thing, this whole journalist in the in the the mix, I said, somebody's gonna lose their job over this, and I think it might be Mike Waltz, the National Security Advisor.
Speaker 2: The White House is doubling down.
Speaker 3: The White House is like, nope, they're all great, everything's cool. This was the journalist's fault.
Speaker 2: And I thought, wow, that is a twist.
Speaker 3: And at some point we were able to blame Joe Biden obviously, and and it looks like maybe nobody, nobody loses their jobs. And I shouldn't own better. I should have known that Teflon don can withstand the kind of accusations that no other president would have. I mean, if this had been Obama, Fox News would have been wall to wall with this. There would have been hearings on it. There would have been all out to all out gnashing of the teeth. The Democrats would have turned on members of the cabinet.
Speaker 2: But instead what we have is I should have seen this.
Speaker 3: We have the the rallying of the GOP. Some of them are saying, well, that was a terrible thing. What that journalist did, and I my mind is blown. I mean even yesterday Mike Waltz, who's the National Security advisor, he took full responsibility, says he that was on me. And we know that because he's the guy that sent the invite to the journalists, and so his his comments are coming you know, they're coming out saying, well, it was me, but the journalist has a lot of responsibility in fact, saying that it was the journalist that that leaked all that highly sensitive information. It's not his fault for inviting a journalist into uh into the whole thing in a country where we have freedom of the press. It's the journalist's fault for seeing it. And I hadn't put that together yet. This is this is kind of like saying, you know, you're you're driving, you're you're driving on the freeway and you witness an accident and you pull over to help, and the police get your name, and then of course some attorney says, we want you to come testify because we're suing the the Jesus out of the uh, the other party, and you need to just come and tell us what you saw. So you go to court and you sit on the witness stand and say, yeah, I saw this car. They merged, they didn't use their blinker, they didn't look uh, and then they they they just torpedoed right into the car that was in front of me on the freeway. And then the during cross examination they say, so you saw this and you say, yeah, I saw that. It happened right in front of me, and they say, oh, dear, you witness this accident and then come to this court and tell us what you saw. How dare you slander my client in such a horrible, horrible manner and on the record, you should be ashamed and your mother should never talk to you again. Your Christmas presents are cut off, and Santa's put you on the permanent naughty list.
Speaker 2: That's basically what happened.
Speaker 3: It's the journalist's fault for witnessing the text, and here we are. I should have known better. But the good news is this, we have hired the best to get to the bottom of what just happened, Walt said in an interview with Fox News, is Laura Ingram. It's embarrassing. Yes, we're going to get to the bottom of it. And he has consulted with Elon Musk so the guy whose cars are glued together and the glue is falling off, and they've been recalled.
Speaker 2: He claimed.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk is the best technical minds looking at how this happened. Walls did say it wasn't a staffer. He takes full responsibility. He built the group. His job is to make sure that everything was coordinated. But that journalist is is low rent for that magazine that is that is barely paying their bills. So there we are. I should have known better. If anybody gets fired in this whole deal, it's probably going to be the Atlantic journalist Amy.
Speaker 4: I think he's the editor in chief, So isn't he fired?
Speaker 5: Okay, well, it was a teaching moment, at least that's according to President Trump, who's standing by his National security visor Mike Walls. Of course, as we're just hearing, they got on that signal messaging app and Trump said, you know, Michael Walls has learned a lesson and he's a good man. And then he also said that Jeffrey Goldberg's presence in the chat had no impact on the military operation. And you know, you're saying that Michael Walls invited him. Trump said yesterday that it was one of Michael's people on the phone that invited him.
Speaker 4: The staffer had the number.
Speaker 2: But he told Laura Ingram it was not a staffer, it was.
Speaker 4: Him, because he's taking responsibility for us, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we've got conflicting reports.
Speaker 3: Now you've got the National Secure Advisor that is disagreeing with the president.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, that's a good way for him to lose his job.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: I told you, I'm not wrong yet, but it's possible that somebody gets fired over this. And if he gets fired, it's not because the journalist, that dastardly bastard who was in the chat. It's not because he was there. It's because Trump said the staffer did it as he was trying to help his guy out, and the guy said, no, I take full responsibility. And that is not going to stand. We are not going to allow that happen. It is interesting that Mike walls by zo admission invited this journalist in that that journalist who had the audacity to witness something. Uh, he invited the guy in. And Trump's response is, well, you know, you know, sure there's classified information out there. Yeah, we were sharing war plans. Sure, we were texting emojis about killing people. But uh, and that may have been a mistake.
Speaker 2: But Mike Walls has learned a lesson and he's a good man.
Speaker 3: So hold on, hang on, I gotta grab this I got I'm sorry, guys, I know this is really unprofessional.
Speaker 2: I've just got a I got a phone call coming in here. Let me just grab this. Hello. Oh it's Tracey de Agua's.
Speaker 3: Oh hang on, guys, I've got some Venezuelan gang members on here.
Speaker 2: What's up, fellas? Oh yeah, I could see the error of your ways.
Speaker 3: You learned a lesson. Well you can stay, it's not let's get brunch. All right, Good talking to you too, Thanks, Pablo. We'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Pal. All right, bye bye. Good news.
Speaker 3: Amy King were able to apply the same logic to other people. They've learned their lesson, and now they're leaving the gang. Isn't that fun? Meanwhile, if we talk crime and punishment a little bit closer to home, the new District Attorney Nathan Hackman is going to allow prosecutors to look at going after the death penalty in cases where they would be eligible.
Speaker 2: Again, not a big surprise. That was part of the whole campaign.
Speaker 3: When he was running against Gascon in twenty twenty three, and he said, I'm burning back the death penalty, baby, and you can use the death penalty if the.
Speaker 2: Accused is.
Speaker 3: Facing murder charges with special circumstances. And I've got more on this coming up here at seven o'clock. I think he used, for example, if we saw something like the Sandy Hook Elementary School, a shooting happened in California, then we would want to be able to seek the death penalty.
Speaker 2: Interesting about this, though, is that Newsom still has.
Speaker 3: A moratorium on the death penalty, So it sounds like what we would be doing is we would be putting the death row back on the list of potential punishments, not necessarily the death penalty. So different housing unit is how that all breaks down. We are broke in La Amy. I know you were talking about the mayor says we got to have some more money. And it's not like she wants to just get an advance on her allowance either. We're talking big bucks here.
Speaker 5: Well, and when you need a billion, why not ask for two? As we've been telling you on KFI, the city is facing a billion dollars shortfall in its budget this coming year. So Bass and some other area lawmakers went up to Sacramento to talk to the governor and other leaders and said, can we have two billion?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well that's nice. Okay, well that's negotiating.
Speaker 4: Oh is that ask for more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ask for more than you need.
Speaker 3: And then when they go, we can't give you two billion, but we could give you one billion, and you go.
Speaker 4: Okay, that might be a good tactic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is like, Uh, my wife needed a new car, right and uh and and my wife says, I need a Masarati.
Speaker 2: And I said, well, we don't have the money for masarati. You can't have masara.
Speaker 3: She says, I need a Maserati. Don't you love me? And I said, well, I mean I'd love a Masarati, but we just don't have the money. And so then she says, fine, I'll take a Beamer And I said I was thinking more like a Ford, and she said I already am not getting my Masarati. So then we compromise on the Beamer, and and everybody's happy. See see, I feel like I saved money, and she feels like she got the car she actually wanted because she just wanted the beamer to start with, and yeah, everybody wins. That's that's negotiating. It's called the Art of the Deal, Amy King. That's how that works. Speaking of which, speak of the Art of the the guy that wrote the Art of the Deal is no longer wheeling a deal in because he's got the pen that signs off on executive orders. Unless you're Joe Biden, then you use autopen Trump is not an executive order seeking to boost proof of citizenship requirements for voter registration. Now, this has been an ongoing issue in a number of different states. Blue states say, wait a minute, this is going to disenfranchise people who don't have ID, poor people, older voters, they don't have their citizenship documents, people who don't have their birth certificates or their passports or whatever else.
Speaker 2: This is not going to work.
Speaker 3: And then you've got the red states that say you have to do this because we have widespread voter fraud. We don't. But even if we don't have it, because we don't it could lead to widespread voter fraud. We've got to be able to prove citizenship, and it has to be citizenship that I.
Speaker 2: Approve is proof.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the real ID will out as a proof of citizenship because we're all supposed to have that real ID, which is supposed to be an enhanced version of identification. Right, do we still have to come up with birth certificates and passports?
Speaker 2: I mean I had to dig up.
Speaker 3: When I first moved to California in twenty twelve, I had I had been to a number of different states because radio, and if you're in radio long enough, you get fired from all over the country. So I was able to get fired in Michigan, in Arizona, in Colorado, in Nebraska, in Kansas.
Speaker 2: I didn't really get fired. I kind of moved up the ladder.
Speaker 3: And so I go to California and I've got my driver's license from my last stop, which was in Kansas, And I said, I need a California driver's license, and they said, well, we have to have your birth certificate. I went, but I've got a I mean, I've got a legit driver's license from a US state. I mean, do you really need my birth certificate? Listen, yeah, we gotta have your original birth certificate. So I had to call my mother and she said, I said, Mom, I need my birth certificate. Any what my mother said what. I said, I need my birth certificate and she said what, I need my birth certificate?
Speaker 2: She goes, oh, no, And I said, Mom, do you have the birth certificate? She said yes? And I said, I need that.
Speaker 3: So I can get my driver's license and get reistered to vote in California. She said no, I'd like to hang on to it. I had to pay whatever it was, forty bucks to the the the Department of Proof of who you are is in order to get a copy of an authentic, original per certificate from my hometown which I hadn't lived in in you know, twenty years.
Speaker 2: Or something, and have that sense so I could get my my driver's license.
Speaker 3: So if I have a driver's license that required a proof of citizenship a birth certificate, don't you think the driver's license should count?
Speaker 2: I don't know. If I don't know, if it means we have to.
Speaker 3: Carry our birth certificates with us everywhere we go feels an awful lot, like show me your papers?
Speaker 2: How dare you? You can't say that. You can't say, show me your papers?
Speaker 3: It is interesting, though, I'm saying one one quick, one more quick one amy, and that is there are states that have citizenship requirements for voting, you know, ID requirements for voting in state elections, but they they until now. Now, of course President Trump has signed this executive order, but they couldn't enforce those on the federal elections. So you might not be able to vote in a certain state unless you show your ID, but you could still vote on the federal elections if you showed your ID. You couldn't vote for Dogcatcher because you weren't legitimate, but you could vote for president.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Okay, back to you know who.
Speaker 5: Is going to do the jobs if all the illegal immigrants are gone? Well, Florida has been enforcing illegal immigration laws for quite some time and that has presented a problem for businesses, and that is filling low wage jobs. So the state's legislature, we'll be talking about a bill to loosen child labor laws. It would allow kids as young as fourteen to work overnight shifts. Hey, you know what, when I was a teenager, we all worked, and the kids worked overnight shifts.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they did. Okay, So I grew up in Medford.
Speaker 2: Oregon, and it's a nice place to be.
Speaker 5: It is a nice place to be but and we're known for pears. Harry and David is out of there. And so like all the boys from high school. I don't know any girls who did it, but all the boys they would go out and they would do something called smudging overnight, and that's when they would fire up these smudge pots to warm up the orchards when it was really cold at night, so that the spirits it so they wouldn't freeze, and so they would to get pears and get the fruit.
Speaker 4: But like tons of kids did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was all they'd run those smudge pots over.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, fast, it was overnight.
Speaker 5: You could always tell the ones who did because they were all asleep in class the next day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's fascinating. Yeah, but you said that they were high school, right, so.
Speaker 4: We were talking about high school.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, fourteen may be a bit young, a little young, a little bit young, and that's for overnight shifts, and they'd be able to work them on school days. So right now, kids can't work any earlier than six thirty am or later than eleven pm.
Speaker 3: One of the guys that slept through class doing now, because I can tell you they're not doing a wake up call in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: M they're probably getting sleep. Finally catching up, Yeah, finally catching up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we had to.
Speaker 3: I worked as a dishwasher in high school, dishwasher, and then I moved my way up to you know, salad bar attendant motion.
Speaker 2: I don't want to brag.
Speaker 4: Did you work at a fast food place?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 3: I worked at a classy family restaurant, all right, Hooters, but it was it was classy just the same.
Speaker 2: But we had to on school nights.
Speaker 3: I think it was ten o'clock we had to take off because you know, the restaurant didn't close until nine or ten o'clock, and so there was everybody that was out of school that had to stay to wash dishes, and the rest of us were like, we're out of here, gotta.
Speaker 2: Go home by ten. That was the rule.
Speaker 3: So but we didn't have any smudging, which is a tragedy. So weird for it, right, I kind of love it though. I kind of loved that little Amy King origin story tidbit. Thank you for sharing that. I love that I do all right. For older generations, they were worried about asbestos, and then we were worried about lead, and now the new thing is microplastics and forever chemicals. And if you are someone who keeps your chewing gum on the bedpost overnight, bad news. It is full of microplastics and all of your chewing gum is probably going to kill you.
Speaker 2: So there we are.
Speaker 3: The chewing gum, just one piece can release hundreds to thousands of microplastics into saliva. Study is being a peer reviewed and are going to be presented in San Diago. Once the review is complete. The authors hope the report is going to be published in the Journal of Hazardous Materials Letters later this year. Of course, most of you are subscribers to the Journal of Hazardous Materials Letters, so you will see that come out in your inbox.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 3: According to the senior study author, our goal is not to alarm anybody.
Speaker 2: It's to get clicks. Oh sorry, I added.
Speaker 3: That last part, saying scientists don't know if microplastics are unsafe to us or not. There are no human trials, but we know we are exposed to plastics in everyday life, and that's what we wanted to examine here. So microplastics are teeny many fragments of polymers. They are incredibly small and the plastics that are even smaller than one micrometer are considered nanoplastics. So you thought microplastics were bad, amy, wait until you find out you've got nanoplastics.
Speaker 5: I think it's funny that they say they aren't doing any trials or testing. Aren't we all kind of in a big Petri dish test? Yes, if we've got microplastics in our brains, I mean they're everywhere in our bodies.
Speaker 3: You thought the American governmental democracy was the great experiment, The real great experiment is all the crap that we continually expose to ourselves, and just to see what it's we are unwitting guinea pigs in the world we live in.
Speaker 2: That's it. We're total guinea pigs. Okay, so trying to get off.
Speaker 5: This rock, Well, the people who did get off the rock are kind of guinea pigs too. Did you know there is such a thing as being too clean? They're finding this out. Researchers say that the astronauts on the International Space Station have been plagued with rashes, unusual allergies, infections, fungus, cold sores, shingles, and why because there aren't enough germs on the International Space station. You know how they say that if you use like too much like antibacterial stuff, you kill all the germs on you, and then it makes and it makes you susceptible because you're not exposed to the germs. Right, So they say that when they go up, they do have some you know, germs on their bodies, but they're not exposed to beneficial microbes from places like soil, healthy animals, healthy plants, and so their immune systems are getting messed up.
Speaker 2: So how do we fix that? We have to intentionally send up take.
Speaker 4: Some dirt up there with them. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Somebody's cat cats in space?
Speaker 4: Oh my god. They'd be funny to watch.
Speaker 3: Oh don't you? That would be the next to what was it was a space force that the Steve Carrell Show. Wouldn't that be great for season two? We just we have cats in space?
Speaker 4: Cats in space.
Speaker 2: The Muppets were lay ahead of this too, you know they had pigs in space. Yeah, all right, I get that. You remember Luigi Mangioni.
Speaker 3: This is the dude that shot and killed, allegedly the CEO of United Healthcare.
Speaker 2: Remember him?
Speaker 3: So he's in he's behind bars right now. So his attorneys have filed court papers this week proposing that he get a laptop so that he can vat he can view, excuse me, the vast amounts of documents, video, and other material in the case surrounding the shooting of Brian Thompson. Evidently, other laptop provisions have been made for other defendants. It turns out there's just so much stuff and he wants to be able to review all this stuff, and how could you review it if you don't have a computer, especially if you want to be able to watch videos and whatnot. So he would like a laptop, which if you read the top line of the stories saying Luigi Mangioni wants a laptop in jail, you might think you might think, what are you crazy? I mean, for Pete's sake, we still argue over whether or not the prisoners should have cable, And this guy wants a laptop. But it's not it's not so that he can go on you know, OnlyFans or whatever. It's so that he can he can view all of his legal stuff. But he is a computer science grad so there may be people that are thinking, oh, he's gonna hack something. I don't think he's gonna hack anything, it was unhackable. Don't put a motim in it, and you're fine. But anyway, that's what he wants. He wants a laptop. If he got a laptop, you think it would be filled with all that bloat wear that comes with your new computer.
Speaker 2: I mean, would he have Solitaire on there?
Speaker 4: And it'd be a good way to pass a sweeper?
Speaker 2: Yeah, give you something to do anyway. Something.
Speaker 3: I was doing some work in Dallas for a while and that a big argument speaking of amenities in the in the jails and the I think it's like a third of the prisons in Texas don't have air conditioning, and the citizens of Texas are like, well, you shouldn't committed the crime then, And I guess I'm I'm a little more sympathetic to humans in those sorts of conditions because you know, it gets to like one hundred and five one hundred and ten with humidity in Texas, and I feel like, if you don't have air conditioning, that's kind of cruel and unusual. And I used the example, I said, we wouldn't put a prisoner in a We wouldn't put somebody in a prison in Alaska and not give them heat. Why would we put somebody in a prison in the debt of Texas and not allow them to have cooling? And it was always like, well, can't do the time, don't do the crime. Wow, So maybe Luigi Mangioni should not get Solitaire and mind Sweeper. Maybe you shouldn't get any of that stuff. Can't do the time, can't do the time, don't do the crime. Chris Maryland for Bill Handled Today. That wraps up Maril on Handle on the news KFI am six forty We live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.