Speaker 1: Welcome back Midnight You weres to Father Malone's weekly round up, the only twenty minute or so podcast, co hosted by a pug.
Speaker 2: Yes that is you. They lovely missus Ripley Jean.
Speaker 1: She's got a great pick for tonight from the land of classic cinema. I've got a more recent thirty years is a recent development, right, thirty years ago?
Speaker 2: Absolutely in my adult brain. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: And we've got a televised recommendation like we do every week. No, that's a lie. We didn't have any time for any new television series, so it's all cinema all the time.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's a three movie week, well, technically a six movie week five.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll get to it. It all makes sense when we get there.
Speaker 2: So let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's fucking go. Topical topical reference for Deadpool, the Deadpool Wolverine movie, I mean, you never heard it being so cool?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: All right there, not so topical reference. Our first choice is brand spanking new. You can get it on Peacock for free.
Speaker 2: You like high concept.
Speaker 1: I love high concept, even if it's a B or C movie trying to pull it off. This is a movie about a group of criminals assembled anonymously to kidnap a young girl who happens to be a ballerina. They're supposed to take her to a rambling old mansion and to wait instruction. That's not high concept, Okay. The team is fractious at best, so it's going to be a high tension thriller as these criminals start chewing off their own legs. Except the house locks down and the little girl is a vampire. Now you're in high concept. This is Abigail. Here's the trailer.
Speaker 2: You all came highly recommended.
Speaker 3: You know the rules.
Speaker 2: No real names, no backstories, no selp us so whose kid is she?
Speaker 3: A very wealthy man who's about to be fifty million dollars poor?
Speaker 4: I'm here to make sure you're safe. What's your name?
Speaker 3: Mind's Abigail.
Speaker 2: You can call me Joey. Do you have any kids?
Speaker 4: I have a little boy.
Speaker 3: See you in twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Do you know what a pinky promise is? If you behave and.
Speaker 4: Do as we say like pinky promise you, I'll be over soon.
Speaker 5: Joey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sorry about what's gonna happen to you?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is we gotta get out of her. I think she knows something.
Speaker 4: Guys, guys, Oh yeah, what the fucking that day? We can't have a fucking vampire, a ballerina vampire.
Speaker 2: Okay, how do we kill a vampire? What are we talking about? Like an ann Rice or a true blood?
Speaker 4: You know Twilight Steak through the Heart Daylight is a big one.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's go kill us a fucking vampire.
Speaker 4: Right, What can I say?
Speaker 2: I like playing with my fat.
Speaker 4: She's fucking flying.
Speaker 2: I fucking hate ballet.
Speaker 6: Mhm.
Speaker 1: It's got Melissa Brera from the last couple of Scream movies. Kevin Durand, who's one of those rare breeds of actor the large muscly character actor. He was one of the Tremor brothers back in Smoking Aces, and he's the villainous chimp in the latest ape movie, Kingdom.
Speaker 2: Of the Apes, I guess.
Speaker 1: Also in the Caster Catherine Newton, Dan Stevens, Giancarlo Esposito, and Alicia Weir as the eponymous vampire. On the surface, it's a whole lot of from Dustal Dawn criminals suddenly uncounter the undead, but it's way less chaotic than that movie, and the plot and characters actually ramp up in the second half of this movie. I don't think there's as much gore, but the gore here is way more effective. It's a measured film. It's far less happens dance, even if the production design is fantastic. The mansion that they're trapped in is straight out of dark shadows, and the vampire stuff is a brutal I love scary vampires and miss scary vampires. They got too sexy during the nineties. Like now they're all just sad people who want to die, Like I want this feral creature who wants to rip your throat out. We get that here, and we also get a bit of cool lore building where the sort of main vampire every vampire she turns, she can kind of marry in at them.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. There are some good twists along the way.
Speaker 1: I know I'm not going to reveal them here, but I will say that the film does slow down at one part for two characters to dance a ballet to the misfits. I don't know if I can recommend this movie. Annie Hier now Abigail again. It's on Peacock Ballerina Vampire, What are you waiting for Oh, you want to do yours? What are you talking about the fine? I'll go okay, Abigail wants the new one, So let's go back to nineteen ninety seven and nineteen ninety four and twenty twenty four for that matter. This week I relinquished all of my daytime credentials and joined the night Watch. Now this isn't that Russian supernatural film from around two thousand and it's Weirdo sequel day one. We'll probably get to those at some point, but we're talking about the Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Patricia Aren't, Can't, Nick Nulty, John c Riley and Brad Durriff horror Flick.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 5: Best attitude to take is that you'll have plenty of quiet time for studying, assuming the idea of it doesn't bother you. Some people it bothers.
Speaker 4: So I'll be alone here at night.
Speaker 5: They tell you, well, some time of avidance or the police comes in, but apart from.
Speaker 2: That, it's just you.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 5: Martin Bells was a full time student who needed a nighttime job.
Speaker 2: How could you give away all your nights without talking to me? For first test, I'm testing myself you don't think it's weird.
Speaker 5: I know, pretty high tolerance that sort of thing. But he just accepted the wrong one.
Speaker 6: Seventeen year old girl was found dead this evening, the third in as many weeks, and it's sixth in the last two months.
Speaker 5: I saw her in the hallways, no inspecting Bill Davison, watchman Martin Bells a series of murders. When you're dead, you're dad.
Speaker 3: When differences were what someone those.
Speaker 5: Who have invaded his life.
Speaker 3: I have interrogated murders like this one before.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you they are well beyond the need to justify what they do. They just do it in the mind of the police.
Speaker 2: Tell me, Martin, you did your rhyns last night?
Speaker 5: Of course, why I'm got to see a dead girl by the doctor tells me you're the only one that's been in there. He's the prime suspect.
Speaker 2: They know who it is. They have a suspect. It's me, boy, they got.
Speaker 5: The wrong guy.
Speaker 6: He didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Martin is not a murderer. I think someone's trying to frame him.
Speaker 5: Martin, That's just what I think it is.
Speaker 4: And there's someone very dangerous standing right behind you in the dark.
Speaker 3: Breathing down here and there.
Speaker 5: And in the eyes of a killer, Please the next victim. Julian McGregor, Becricia Arquet, Josh Brolin, and Nick Nolty.
Speaker 3: I'm coming something, Martin.
Speaker 5: Are you still going to maintain your innocence? Night Watch?
Speaker 2: I have a weird history with this film, Mack.
Speaker 1: In ninety six, I was a projectionist in a theater in Santa Monica and we used to have odd screenings from time to time, a lot of short films, usually in November and December. They would play early in the morning. We would technically be open and selling tickets, but there was no advertising at all, and really people didn't even know.
Speaker 2: What were open.
Speaker 1: But those were so the short films can all qualify for Academy Award consideration. I must have seen hundreds of short films, none of them good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was rare.
Speaker 1: Anyway, One year we were doing the AFM, which is the American Film Market that's where independent features screened their films in the hopes of picking up a distributor. Two things happened at this particular marketplace. The contact man from A and M Fella named Mike. He ended up teaching me how to surf. Here's the typical conversation between him. Hey, man, could you tell me some surfer terms?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you want to know? What's a grammy? A grammy? Ah? Man, that's like a kook. You know you dig? I did not dig.
Speaker 1: The other takeaway was being knocked out by this film night Watch.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but I've had a vast array of careers over the years, and I always tend, whenever possible to take the most solitary position available. So the prospect of a night watchman at a morgue that seems pretty tantalizing to me, which is the premise of the film. Ewan McGregor, doing his worst American accent, stars as Martin, a college student who's using the lonely nights at the morgue to study. If only there weren't a serial killer on the loose with a pension for necrophilia. The film debuted sort of been that nineteen ninety seven. This was the way of serial killing was cresting in popular entertainment, So this one kind of got lost in the shuffle, which is a drag. It was directed by Ole Bornidal. This night Watch is actually a remake of a film from nineteen ninety four from Denmark also called Nightwatch, also directed by Ole Bornidal. When it came to americanized his film, he said, fuck it, I'll do it myself, although he is rather ably assisted by a screenplay co authored by Steven Soderberg for the American version. Now, I had never watched the original, so I figured, what the hell, let's do it this week. And for once, I gotta say, well, not once, maybe the fourth or fifth time. I like the remake a lot more than I like the original. The only real selling point the story is similar, the Shaw choices are similar, except the American ones seemed a bit harder edged and a little bit more attuned to terror. But what the original Danish film has and why I'm recommending it as well, is a lead performance by Nikolai Walder Costo.
Speaker 2: No, that's not right.
Speaker 1: Nikolai Costa Waldau is Jamie Lanister on They run a game of Thrones, and it is absolutely shocking to see him so young here. And if you're interested, he is very casually, full frontally nude for a portion of the film. But it's the American film you want to see. It's the film that made me realize that Josh Brolin is more than a goony. And how can anyone have a bad time watching two hours with Patricia Arquette on screen? She truly rests at the top of the Arquette pyramid, and despite the accent, McGregor is really solid here. Weirdly, a sequel to night Watch came out of this year and it's available. You can see it right now. It is also directed by Ole Bornidal and it is actually a sequel to the Danish film So Nikola I Will Nikolai Costa Valdo is back of Actually most of the cast is back, and this one is centering on the lead character's daughter. It's called night Watch Demons Are Forever, and it's on Shutter. The original of the nineteen ninety four one that is also on Shutter, but the one I'm recommending, the American one, the one that I'm telling you was the really good one, and you don't have to watch the other ones. Well you'll have to pay for that, I'm sorry, but it's only like three bucks. What's your choice? It better be free. Yeah, Hulu counts, you know what? Speaking of Lulu actually speaking to Hulu. Hey, guys, how you doing. You do know that our long stand up special filmed on video is not a movie, right. It's weird because every time I go searching through movies, new movies, it's a thousand stand up specials.
Speaker 2: It's not a movie. Are you listening to me? You hear what I'm saying. It's not a movie anyway. Here's the trailer for Ripley's pick.
Speaker 3: It's the kind of house they don't build anymore, the relic of a time when the world wasn't in such a hurry, when there was still time for a little charm and elegance. It has stood empty a long while, and at the price it is a bargain or a growing young family. It is almost too good to be true.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 3: James Brolin, Margo Kidder, Rudsteiger in the Amityville Horror, God's Peace in this house out along Kathy.
Speaker 6: Father Delaney.
Speaker 3: There is something very important.
Speaker 6: Were go.
Speaker 2: Money, want from us, Let's go up.
Speaker 3: We have to do something.
Speaker 6: I'm coming apart, Oh many a cad I'm coming apart.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight days after the Lutz family moved into their dream house, they were running for their lives. What happened to them is an experience in terror. You will never forget, and you will believe in the Amityville Horror. From the best selling book that made millions believe in the unbelievable, the Amityville Horror.
Speaker 2: The Amityville Horror. What possessed you?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 2: Come on? But seriously, what possessed you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I got too much? Josh not enough? James gotcha well? James Brolin is front and center and all of his permed glory. This is the entirely fabricated true story of the Lutzes who bought a murder house on Long Island in the early seventies, got turned around on the mortgage, cried ghost, and got a book deal. The whole case might have been bullshit, but I love the movie. In his nonfiction ode to Horror Dance Macabs, Stephen King referred to the site of Margot Kidder topless and wearing leg warmers as quote not too tacky unquote, to which I say, long live the tacky. It's a movie striving at every opportunity to go over the top, and I mean way over, like you know orbit, But because the filmmaker Stuart Rosenberg has a monoicum of restraint James Brolin and Ron Steiger pick up that overwrought ball and they fucking run with it. Not just to the end zone, either, They're sprinting down the hallways, out the exit, and further down the street. We can't even see them anymore. There have been dozens of sequels to this, and a couple of remakes and some documentaries. The only two you need to see are this, the nineteen seventy nine original, and the episode of In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy that actually scared me more than the movie as a kid. I'm making it sound bad if you haven't seen it, so let me reiterate.
Speaker 2: I love this fucking movie.
Speaker 1: I love the freaky red eyes outside the window. I love the black goo that's under the stairs. I love that woman who gets possessed and yells it's.
Speaker 2: A dope way to hell.
Speaker 1: That and it's a movie that always makes an audience member ask the question why are you going back for the dog? Because it's a member of the family insensitive prick And this movie manages to predict the future, at least advertise it. Listen to this advertisement for a movie that came out thirty five years later. Jordan Peel's Academy Award winner. If that doesn't say it, I don't know what will. The Amityville Horror is a lot of things. Fun is kind of at the top of it. I'm not going to say these are great performances, but they are certainly fun. I'm just gonna keep saying fun because if you go in with that attitude, you're gonna love the hell out of the movie. It's from nineteen seventy nine, Amityville Horror. It's available on Max Streaming right now. Wow, we went all the way with horror this week. I love it, and I think that's gonna wrap it up for the round up. Thanks for joining us week in, week out. You are helping immeasurably as if this recording. July twenty twenty four is our highest rated month ever. In fact, we passed our We passed ten thousand downloads at the beginning of the month. But nevertheless, this month is doing better than the rest and that's all thanks to you. So if you want to keep telling your friends about it, or recommending it or giving us five stars on the Apple, that would also be very welcome. We're going to have a very special crossover episode with Paul Waller, the host of a Year in Horror podcast. We are sitting down to take a look at the lonesome death of Jordie Verel specifically and creep Show in general. Tune in for that on Friday. It is great. He is massively entertaining and once again thanks for joining us Space Scared