Speaker 1: You're listenings KFI AM six forty the bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And this is KFI AM.
Speaker 1: Six forty bill Handle here. It's a Monday morning in August twelfth. Dodgers are in Milwaukee to take on the Brewers tonight, first pitch at five ten. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA and stream all games and HD on the iHeartRadio app. The keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA. There's a movement afoot and it is growing and growing, and I'm sure you've seen it. And it's not just its conservatism, which of course has grown like crazy over the years, especially since the world of Donald Trump entered our lives. But this is a conservative vision of America. It has gained a lot of momentum. American culture has swung way too far to the left, and it should like look like well Americans and American families to really look like what they did.
Speaker 2: In the fifties.
Speaker 1: Women staying home, white picket fence dog named Spot, Dick and Jane two children.
Speaker 2: Well that's not the case anymore.
Speaker 1: Jd Vance with the childless cat ladies concept, you don't have kids, there's something wrong with you. And then, more recently, because he doubled down on that in America's reluctions to have children. Well, that philosophy is now through politics, social media, churches, households. I mean, it has really gathered steam and the dichotomy is now the polarity has gotten even worse, if that's possible. A Trump, a former Trump administration appointee, founded the Center for Baptist Leadership, wants to keep the Southern Baptist Convention theologically conservative. Does that mean only men can be pastors? Which makes a lot of sense because women pastors come. On nineteen twenty of the worst year in the history of the United States, women were given the.
Speaker 2: Right to vote. How horrific is that?
Speaker 1: Huh? Now, I don't think there are too many on the right that are going to say women should not vote. But a lot of people on the right endorse believe in restrictive views of family.
Speaker 2: And gender roles. That's for sure.
Speaker 1: Transcender rights, gay rights, reproductive rights, all of that is in one camp. You cannot be a conservative today and believe in all conservative values, but believe for example, that gay people it's okay for gays to get married.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: Everybody has to be a lockstep. No one can have an individual view. It doesn't work anymore on any side.
Speaker 2: Of the political spectrum.
Speaker 1: People are hungry for this nostalgia that we think happened. You know, the good old days were never the good old days. The good old days were rotten. Right in the fifties, right, no one had air conditioning. How's that for the good old days? Your cars lasted two minutes. I'll tell you one of the worst things I remember as a kid my sneakers.
Speaker 2: My shoelaces would break every five minutes.
Speaker 1: There it is, there's good old days. I can describe perfectly good old days. I couldn't keep shoelaces together for a month without them breaking.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you had to replace the shoelace that broke? You don't.
Speaker 1: The technology has gotten to the point where shoelaces do not break.
Speaker 3: So let me get this straight. Yeah, not civil rights, no right for women. No, No, your shoelaces were yes, Why the fifties weren't the good old days?
Speaker 1: That's correct, that's an analogy, though, say that's not all encompassing.
Speaker 2: But the point I'm making is you had to look how long cars lasted the good old days. They weren't.
Speaker 1: We're gonna look fifty years from now, it is gonna be oh, remember the two thousands of the twenty twenties.
Speaker 2: Those are the good old days?
Speaker 1: Wrong.
Speaker 4: Wrong.
Speaker 1: And the problem is, and I believe the problem is, is that the entire issue of transgender reproductive rights.
Speaker 2: Look where the states have broken. We got rid of Roe v.
Speaker 1: Wade.
Speaker 2: And by the way, there's a legal argument for getting rid of Roe Vuwaide.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem with this the legal aspect when they say, oh my god, it's been around for fifty years, and therefore as president, Hey, the Supreme Court has reversed itself many times in history.
Speaker 2: Too bad.
Speaker 1: You know, you had a conservative president that was elected. Three justices retired or died on his watch. He selects, he nominates, the Senate confirms, and guess what those are the rules.
Speaker 2: So you had Roe v. Wade being overturned and legitimately so legally, there's no question about it. Now, I don't agree with that.
Speaker 1: I happen to believe in reproductive rights, but I can certainly see the logic the legal argument.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, there's more of a legal argument that Roe v.
Speaker 1: Wade shouldn't exist under our constitution. But you know, I digress. The point is it's a very different world. I mean today, the way we look at gay rights. You know, when I first started doing surrogacy and my first gay couple to have children.
Speaker 2: Was I think nineteen eighty two. It was a long time ago when I helped the gay couple I have kids.
Speaker 1: Not only that, I have to keep it under the radar, and I had to say, we have to keep this really quiet.
Speaker 2: You won't admit this. I don't talk about this.
Speaker 1: Not only is it going to be a firestorm that gay men are having children, it will be a firestorm that gay men are having sex, that gay men are gay men inherent on to itself, gaiosity should be a crime. And I don't think anybody is arguing, even those among the most conservative argue that homosexuality should be criminal. But there are plenty of people that argue that homosexual should not get married, should not have children.
Speaker 3: But why can't this be a combination, like what well, instead of this looking like turning back the clock, on gender roles. Why doesn't it look at the nuclear family. I don't care if it's two men or two women.
Speaker 2: Well that's not the nuclear family, I think here.
Speaker 4: But wait, so one person's stays at.
Speaker 2: Home, Now, that's fine and that is not a problem.
Speaker 1: Even those that believe in absolute free choice pro choice.
Speaker 2: No one's saying.
Speaker 1: That a woman or a man in many cases, well some cases, shouldn't stay at home. The argument is is should a woman not go to work because that contradicts family values. A woman should be at home taking care of kids, and that belief is gaining more and more traction now. One of the things that those who believe that we don't have enough kids the JD. Van's arguing childlessness somehow there's something wrong with it. When you're talking about culturally and economically, that's absolutely true. The world's birth rate is dropping dramatically, and when you're looking at public policy, the fewer kids that are born, the more trouble any society is because you've got old people that have to be taken care of and they're living longer, and you've got fewer people coming into the workforce to support those people. That is disaster for an economy. So on an economic level, that makes a lot of sense. But to tell me that I don't have enough children or I should have children, No, I shouldn't have you.
Speaker 2: That was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
Speaker 3: You've had plenty, don't have any more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go, Barbara.
Speaker 1: You know, Pamela the other day went up to me and said, if you had your choice, you really wouldn't have me, right, I go, Come on, Pamela. You know I love you, don't you You really wouldn't have me, would you. Now, Pamela, don't say that. Yeah it's true. Actually, uh yeah, Now have a burger. All right, We're done. I love my daughters, they love me. And my credit cards. Oh okay. Moving over to something that's kind of fun, and that's traveling. After the pandemic, I mean, the travel industry exploded, as you can imagine, and that is now slowing down for a couple of reasons. First of all, it got pretty expensive supply and demand. And second of all, all the money that we had that was put away, the stimulus money, the fact you couldn't spend the money, Well that's gone, and so travel has sort of come back down to I guess what's considered reasonable levels, and people are spending more, and even prices are starting.
Speaker 2: To drop, except airlines.
Speaker 1: Even airlines, the prices have dropped at least moderated, but not among those people that by business class or travel for example, non stop at a good time, those prices are still completely astronomical. I am sending my daughter, she's getting married, and I'm sending her and her boyfriend. Now will be your high and I'm giving them a honeymoon trip, and I am. They're going to do Italy, And let me tell you how difficult it is to do Italy on three dollars a day and finding airfare that was reasonably cheap, they said, gee, can we go direct?
Speaker 2: Are you crazy?
Speaker 1: So they have nineteen stops between here and there because you got to find those bargains out there. And believe me, they're not going high end at all. It's just more difficult to fly. It's more difficult to travel, although international travel is still where Americans want to go.
Speaker 2: That adds to it too.
Speaker 1: You know, we don't go to the Grand Canyon anymore, we don't go to Yellowstone National Park. What we do is we go overseas. So things have changed, and I'll tell you the part. And I've always said this, and it's catching on. You know, the business, the travel business that is getting strong, younger and stronger.
Speaker 2: Cruising cruising cruise ships.
Speaker 1: They have always been the best bargain out there, even though they're a lot price, or it used to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can get if you go to a carnival cruise.
Speaker 1: And you're willing to put an inside cabin next to the elevator and you're willing to take drunk people partying twenty four hours a day and screaming down the hall. You can do a week for four hundred dollars and that includes all the food you can eat. I mean, no, I don't take carnival cruises, but I've cruised thirty five times. It's it's a tremendous bargain. The food is good, you get as much of as you want.
Speaker 2: Them is very high end. You get well.
Speaker 1: I mean the shows, that's all included. You know, the show tunes, the same gay chorus you know you can't be straight, and being the chorus on a cruise line, you know that they actually ask you. That's one of the few places that it is legal to ask someone Are you gay or not? And if you are not, you're not getting the job.
Speaker 2: You've been on a cruise Neil, Yes, am I right?
Speaker 4: What about gay men?
Speaker 2: Yeah in the chorus, of course I'm right.
Speaker 4: I don't remember seeing a car.
Speaker 1: Oh please stop at stop at Of course they are, but I know I is.
Speaker 3: To have a course, a course of gay men around you.
Speaker 2: Yes, one singular, That's exactly it.
Speaker 1: You get all the show tunes you want, but you get some good comedians that are not so blue, and you get you know, they stay away from politics. But cruise lines are as. They build more and more of these ships, and I mean now it's like twelve thousand people on a ship.
Speaker 2: They are truly cities that float.
Speaker 1: I remember going on somehow somebody convinced me to go on a Royal Caribbean, you know, the Caribbean of the I don't know, continents, whatever the hell it was called. Like seven thousand people, seven thousand cruisers, not counting the five people that are board the ship that work there.
Speaker 2: It was one of the worst experiences of my life.
Speaker 1: It was horrific, but it was a bargain and the kids got everything they needed, and that was it had to pay relatively little money as opposed to going out there people.
Speaker 2: That's the business that is exploding is cruising.
Speaker 1: As you think of these ships coming online, there's not enough of them and they don't stop the rest of the travel industry has dropped pretty dramatically. You know what's also hurt the travel industry a lot is the California law that all of.
Speaker 2: The costs have to be on the bill.
Speaker 1: You have to know in advance how much your hotel bill is going to be. And the fact that now that crap resort fee and the towel fees and whatever junk fees that they put on there, which can add thirty percent to your hotel bill, that has the fact that it's on the bill has actually cost discern discernible costs, which.
Speaker 2: Has caused bookings to go down.
Speaker 1: We're spending too much money, we're not saving. We're back to credit cards. We're traveling overseas and cruising has gone crazy.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: And everything is too crowded, Everything is too crowded. It's all like a day at Disneyland.
Speaker 2: What's the worst day? And Neil you've gone, and Amy you've gone.
Speaker 1: Aren't there days when you literally cannot go from one land to the other because it's so jammed.
Speaker 3: No, I have only been one time where I laughed at the crowd where I was like, holy shrud, this is massive amounts.
Speaker 4: And then recently when I went.
Speaker 3: They have this issue with with the Haunted Mansion because they're redoing the cues and it was weird and backed up. But other than that, and I've gone a crap ton. Yeah, there was only one time WHEREVER went, wow, this this is a lot of humans in one day.
Speaker 1: Amy. Have you ever been in the park when they shut down entrance coming in because there were too many people in the crowd in the in the park.
Speaker 5: They did it one time when I think it was on New Year's Eve, but we were already in, so it was okay with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, okay, sure, why not.
Speaker 3: And even when it is super crowded, like Neil said, you kind of just wonder it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun. Yeah, okay, it is. I know, I like it and I'm not listen. I like this lane, you know what.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me imagine this, uh, wintertime, February March, five thousand people in the park.
Speaker 2: No, wait for anything. That's what I had when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Those days are gone.
Speaker 2: No kidding, those really were the good old days.
Speaker 1: All right, Monday on his twelfth The Olympics are over, and now all the concentration is right here in LA because we're gonna have the twenty twenty eight Olympics, and we are going to have a lot of infrastructure, and we're gonna have the what the people mover which is gonna be available to us by the twenty forty eight Olympics. It's gonna be very strong, very strong. First day of school. By the way, LA unified today. And it's getting closer and closer to a regional war in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: A barrage of rockets fired by a Chispo law into Israel last night. Don't know where it's gonna go. All right, real quickly, Wayne, do they have a kate?
Speaker 4: What all of that?
Speaker 2: But how are you? I'm good. I'm good. It's all good news, Wayne. Right, do they have the case?
Speaker 4: Amongst other things?
Speaker 5: This case is gonna test your ability to behave yourself?
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, that's gonna work.
Speaker 4: Well, let's see what happens.
Speaker 5: It's a sweet tale of a guy and a goal and an ongoing love making relationship, which is tarnished by the fact that after about a year, she is diagnosed with ano genital HPV that she got from him. So he gave her this, yes, Amy is grimacing, rightly, so so anyway, no genital, Yeah, you know that's the medical correct, that is the medical terms.
Speaker 4: There's respiratory hp.
Speaker 1: I no, no, it's just the a no part that I've never heard, so I'm just being curious.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, so he gives her HPV.
Speaker 5: He gives her HPV down there. She sues him. But then and here's where we have a case. Maybe she sends a demand letter to Geico wanting them to pay out the full million dollar max on his auto insurance policy because and nobody in this case is arguing this point for some reason, that he gave it to her while they were making love in his car.
Speaker 2: Okay. You don't make love in a car, You stoop in the car.
Speaker 4: They're in the starters.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And as you described this, basically, there's a song about this, right, what is it?
Speaker 2: Making love in all the wrong places?
Speaker 4: Cooking that's looking for love.
Speaker 2: I knew that it was one of those. Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Sorry, once turns it into the insurance company, go I got.
Speaker 2: It because of him. He was stooping me in the car.
Speaker 1: In the car, it was a car the wrong place, and I'm trying to visually figure out what positions they were in.
Speaker 2: But while you're talking, I'm visualizing.
Speaker 5: Well, don't distract yourself from the task at hand, which is this case. So Geico of course says, get.
Speaker 4: Out of here.
Speaker 5: That's ridiculous, and a lower court judge said as.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: Actually, what happens is Geico goes to a lower court judge to say, would you please do this declarative, declarative thing that you do where you just say right now that we don't have to cover this, and the lower court says, yeah, you don't have to cover this, and then these people go to the appeals court. One other little wrinkle here, they entered into a settlement the guy in the gow. Under the law in Missouri where this happened, you can make a settlement where she agrees she can only recover from the insurance company and never from him. So you can see her motivation to have Geico cover this because she's already agreed she can never get anything from the guy. Geico says, get out of here. That's crazy, she says, Look at the way your policy is written. It says that you will pay damages when the insured becomes legally obligated to pay because of number one bodily injury and number two damage her destruction to property arising out of the ownership, maintenance, use of the owned auto. She says, Look, the bodily injury doesn't have to have anything to do with the ownership, maintenance, or use of the car. It happened in the car. It's a bodily injury. You have to cover it. What say you? And what do you think? The Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals said to.
Speaker 1: Her, I either it is written or it is implicit in an auto insurance policy. That it has to be with using the auto as is it intended to be used, and that is driving it or parking it somehow connected to the auto. Stooping in the auto is probably not covered, is my guess. So they said no, They enjoyed the case, no question. The court, when they took their coffee break, certainly talked about this, saying, boy, do I have a case for you. Wait till you see what came in front of me today. The Appeals court because and I don't even know if it is said in the insurance policy that it must be connected to the driving or ownership of the vehicle in a way that cars were intended's that's my guest. I would even guess that a non operative car on cinderblocks, that that would it would not be covered, even though it was part of your parking the car.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying it's a big no.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know that Gal is going to suffer with her malady without getting paid.
Speaker 4: You are correct, Here's what they said.
Speaker 5: If you only look at the way it's worded, she has a case just to the way they wrote the policy. But you can't just look at those words. As you said, it's implied that it is in connection with something about using the car as you use a car, and that if you didn't it would mean that if you have Geico car insurance and somebody trips in your driveway, they would have to pay. If you want to read it the way that she wants to read it, So she, unfortunately now will get no compensation from anybody.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm envisioning if he is driving the vehicle and she is injured, for example, does a great impression of bobbing for apples at a party.
Speaker 2: Then I believe that there could be coverage. Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: Put on your libel hat.
Speaker 5: So they open a new amphitheater in Charlotte, North Carolina, and before it actually opens, the people running the amphitheater hire a company to bring shows to the Amphitheater, and the first deal that they try to work on is to bring a band called Big Head Todd and the Monsters, which I've heard the name, I have not heard their music. And apparently that immediately there's friction and there's an argument, and the guy who runs the Amphitheater says that the guy from the promotion company doesn't know what he's doing and is an amateur, and if he's gonna stay with that company, then the Amphitheater will not do any more business with that company, and so publicly, well, he says it in front of the other people who are involved. Okay, and sure enough the company says, we can't have you because they won't do any business with us. We like you, You're fine, he's wrong, but he said he won't do any business with us if you're still involved, because he thinks you don't know what you're doing, and you're an amateur. So the guy sues, and he said, you can't call me an amateur and say that I don't know what I'm doing, and that's actionable. And he says, that's just an opinion, that's just my opinion. And also, amateur cannot be defamatory because amateur just means you do something, whatever it is, you do it for pleasure and not for a profession. So how can the word amateur be defamatory? And the lower court says, yeah, that's right, get out of here with your complaint.
Speaker 4: But he goes up to in this case.
Speaker 5: A district court in North Carolina, from the state court to a federal court, and he says, listen saying I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm an amateur, there's facts that that those are factual statements that you're that I am not capable of doing my job. And he says, no, it's opinion, and what do you say, and what do you think?
Speaker 6: The judge said, I think it's actionable because you can have an opinion, but within that opinion, he is making a fact that in fact does.
Speaker 1: Interfere with his ability. I mean the damage. The causality is right there. You call me an amateur. Because you call me an amateur, I lost business, I have been fired. I can connect the dots and that is beyond just an opinion. I think I think the line was crossed and a Now, whether it prevails or not, I don't know, because you know, now you have to prove that.
Speaker 2: They fired him because of that. But it, sir, looks like it's actionable. What did the court say?
Speaker 5: You know, it's interesting because you not only did you agree with the court, but the same exact observation, which is he may think it's an opinion, but within what's expressed he thinks as an opinion are in fact questions of facts. Specifically, can this person perform his duties at the level expected of someone in his position. That's a factual question. Absolutely, So, yes, he can move forward.
Speaker 4: And you're right.
Speaker 5: He may not be able ultimately to win, but he gets to have another day in court.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Oh I feel good.
Speaker 1: Two for two. All right, man, we'll catch you next Monday. And tomorrow we come back again. Amy wake up call at five am, Neil and I and we come aboard from six to nine with Amy and then KNO and An of course, never Go Home. This is KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app