Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions kat z R TWUSA and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to II on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, Pleeve jagins awas in with us today is our guy, Henry. Welcome to Wednesday's show. I hope it's more fluid than yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 4: I'm in your banging microphones because I'm rearranging myself.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get my setup right. Steve.
Speaker 3: Good thing though, Jay. We have some pretty smart kids here, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: Henry's all over this right here, he's got this. Happy to be here, Henry, very happy. A little confusing, but I think you'll get again.
Speaker 4: We've got our friend Tony is standing over you. He's got it all under control. So we're all good.
Speaker 3: Our training wheels are with us for another day, so that's great. He'll help us skip to today. Hey, another day. As we get close to to Arizona football versus Kansas State tomorrow, we're gonna have the uh the beat writer from from Kansas State give us some insight about them sound their website that they're banged up to on the offensive line. So it's almost like, you know, I think they can say tiff or.
Speaker 4: Tat well, survival of the fittest, right, two games in, who's got you know, who's got the guys, who's got the depth, who's got the talent? And you know, I look, I the the Arizona fans that I hang with, and you know who they are. They're worried, all right. I worried about Arizona's offense and because offensive line, and that's the number one probably right the worried about the offensive line. You know, if if if Corey Cosby Crosby Merritt doesn't come back, whatever his name is, j c R or j CM whatever, they if he doesn't come back, they're like, we got guys, We're okay. They're not worried about team act not catching any passes last week.
Speaker 2: They're worried about the line play goes the line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the line play was it was a struggle last week and that that's what that's what they're worried about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they should be they should be. Well, we'll see what happens. I think the line is probably still at seven if it all holds well. But again, remember there I saw from the paper from from Kansas City, Kansas Manhattan. They had Utah, Kansas State was three. I think Oklahoma State was two three, Arizona was still at five in terms of the power ranking in the conference. So if it holds true, Kansas lost last week, No, Kansas is not. So it's it's uh Utah, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Kansas State.
Speaker 2: I don't know who was from, maybe Iowa State maybe, but David Iowa last week at Iowa.
Speaker 3: So it could be that Arizona five and Kansas State's number fourteen. So if true to form, it's it's going to be a seven point yeah, seven point.
Speaker 2: Ye, yeah, it's got to be.
Speaker 4: It's got to be a game under seven points based on rankings and just what we think is going to happen. You know, if on the road, yeah, on the road, either way, If aar zone keeps it to a touchdown or less and they lose, then I'm not going to be unhappy with that.
Speaker 2: You know. I mean, you have to expect that this is gonna be a tough place to play, and then they go to Utah and that's going to be even tougher.
Speaker 3: Y tough, right, especially after last year's game. And we'll get to that next week. But I'm a firm believer that when you have the payback or whatever you want to call it, that's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be a tough yeah, because last year they're mad. Yeah, I mean not only are they mad, they're good.
Speaker 3: Of all the games that you saw and I probably saw last year, that was the most.
Speaker 2: Wow to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're thinking, what, yeah, that was the moment again that you thought this team is really really good. And then they finished it out, you know, ay beating as U and beating Oklahoma, and that was the game that told me this is really up. Up until that point, I'm like, I just couldn't believe that they were. They continue to.
Speaker 2: Win these games, and they kept winning games, and the next thing, you know, they win ten games, and then here they are, Yeah, there are.
Speaker 4: And now we've got this expectation that they should win ten games and they probably shouldn't. Probably eight is the number, Steve, I think eight's the number you lose. These two you've got You've got eight games left, you've got two wins. If you go six and two in that stretch of eight games, how can you be unhappy with that? So let me ask you and just just came up in my head.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we've talked about the players, talked about the coaches.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Brannan real quick. Over the last since we've covered it in eighty seven eighty eight, right, we've had Dictomy kind of the nonchalant guy behind the scenes who kind of got fiery behind the shone. He wasn't he wasn't animated, Right, he wasn't animated. It wasn't kind of your he he wasn't.
Speaker 2: The mullet. Well, he wasn't the Oklahoma state coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah we know that guys, we you'll pop in our heads. So then we go from him to to macivate coach was just kind of not he was just a piece of a guy in a suit. And then we go from him.
Speaker 4: To Stoops man in your face and kind of you kind of up and down.
Speaker 3: And then we go from him to to rich Rock kind of a lesser a stoops light stoops.
Speaker 2: That's a really good way to put Okay, so we.
Speaker 3: Go from him to someone who had a pulse bare, we go from him to to Jed who had a pulse and was more of a hey, how you doing, what's going on?
Speaker 4: And in the middle of things, and you know he was he was a salesman. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So we've seen all that. Now we have Brennan who and I've been told this.
Speaker 3: You know, Okay, he's just sitting on the sign and I observing and just clapping, kind of rooting the guys on. Do you want to see more from him in the people that we've seen from eighty seven to now? Or are you okay with it for now?
Speaker 4: I'm okay with it for now. But you know what I'm saying, I don't feel like he's does he need to be disinterested? Like he's not part of the conversation that he's.
Speaker 2: I don't sense that.
Speaker 4: Is he different from the others, or at least from all the others that they've had since Dick Tony He's yeah, he's different, But.
Speaker 2: Every coach, every coach has his style.
Speaker 4: I mean you think, you know, think of some of those A s U coaches what's his name, Todd Graham, right, you know, with the with the with the with the crew cut and the uh you know, in the headphones and the whole thing. And he was just always out in the middle of stuff. You know, that's kind of coaches that you've seen. You know, I watched Marcus Freeman of Notre Dame. I mean I don't feel I don't see him watching feel like he's said there doing stuff on every single play, making you know stuff. Now they lost, I'm just gonna say, but you know, but it's not all even Nick Saban, right, he was laid in his guys call plays and stuff. Now, but you knew that he was. He was he had guys. But that's but that's what I'm saying. Just because you're not in the headset screaming at the coaches to do things doesn't mean you're not in charge.
Speaker 3: I think there needs to be more of a sample size, and I think they knew who they were getting when they hired him.
Speaker 2: It's not a criticism.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, yeah, I was under observation that you know, we've seen all the through the years, thirty seven years of this, he's more like Dicktomy than all of them, and he's kind of there for encouragement you know, and I'm a believer, and I said, and all that you practice Monday through Friday, you show what you've learned on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's nothing I've seen. I haven't seen anything that makes me go, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I like this. Nothing. Well, you've only seen two games, but that's it. Yeah, I've only seen two games. We'll review this. I mean, this is a big game coming up.
Speaker 4: And in the first big game, somebody made the point that I saw it somewhere.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was on a.
Speaker 4: Fan side or Twitter or whatever, somebody's saying that if they're talking about Brannan's record on the road, you know, since he's been the head coach at San Jose State, and saying that if he wins this game, if they if Arizona wins this game, it is his biggest road win as a head coach. Which if you're coaching in San Jose State, you're probably right because you probably haven't had any road wins of this magnitude, So you know, it's a big game for him. He's on the road at a place like Kansas State, but at San Jose State, he's played games against teams like this on the road because you have to to make enough money to be able to, you know, to run your program. I don't think he's going to be intimidated by it now, and certainly Dino Babers isn't going to be intimidated by Duayne Keen is not going to be intimidated by it. And if they're not intimidated by it, then they pass it on to their coaches and their players.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is, and we've seen this a thousand times before, covering all these teams, if they pull this off the last two we still mean anything that you're correct, you know, just like when Arizona lost too Clemson in the last three months, didn't mean.
Speaker 2: No, well because you putting things in perspective of the rivera way.
Speaker 3: No, you're you're right, but you know maybe that time when no, no, I don't remember that game. We're moving forward and now this is a moving forward game.
Speaker 4: This is this is this is this is a game that can It doesn't completely set the tone for the rest of the season, because I think it's gonna take a couple of games to set the tone for the rest of the season, but it starts to because you're at these first two games didn't tell us anything. So now you have these next two games that even if they don't win these two games, we know a lot more about them and how we think they might fare in their last in their last eight.
Speaker 3: Let's kind of just not move on from this because we'll have plenty to talk about. But talk about today's show. We're gonna have Bob Kemp. I don't know how you identified them, but I'm gonna tell you right now. It's no longer doing his radio show in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Uh. He ended that in July.
Speaker 3: So now he's gonna he's creating a new website for sports up in the valley.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just called him a sports talk radio because that's what he's been.
Speaker 2: He's been for one hundred years for guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just not working for a specific station anymore. He'll be a sports media guy of some sort. There's our first chance to talk to him. You think he'll be more relaxed, You think.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much.
Speaker 3: So I talked to him a couple of days ago, and he's he's good with what's going on, and he's gonna have a new website. He'll talk to us all about that. And he's still in tune with the look you never you never leave the media. I've never left.
Speaker 2: I haven't. I have listened to this, I haven't.
Speaker 4: I haven't covered sports foreign newspaper in thirty four years. Okay, but I still feel like I've been a part of the media by knowing all you guys, being around it, and then working the working the basketball games.
Speaker 2: And controlling Twitter and controlling Twitter.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I feel like I'm I've always felt like I've stayed apart, and I've enjoyed the way I've been able to continue to be.
Speaker 2: Forget lastly having a crazy opinion, and I have an opinion. I don't know why you would call it crazy, but well, this review.
Speaker 3: So we have him at four fifteen, three fifteen, and then we're gonna have Adrian Denny. We didn't put it on Facebook on our socials because he was the last minute bad. Today they're opening for partickets for this year. We'll talk about you know that, uh, that season where they were in limbo kinda and now they're going to be back for at least a season. He'll tell us more of what's going on right with the road Runners. And then we have tomorrow all day to talk about football. But anybody want to call you can. We have a few lines now, welcome to our new show. Thank you exactly, Thank you, Tony and everybody else involved. Five two, oho, four one six, seventy four forty you can call in. They could even call in while we have I don't know if we do. If we have a guest and we have somebody who wants to have a question to the guest, we could do that.
Speaker 4: We can, but I think for now we choose not to because I don't want to confuse us.
Speaker 3: We have training we have we have Tony, we have training wheels. Well we have so just in case seventy four forty you guys know who have been calling.
Speaker 4: You guys know the numbers. So all right, how we I don't have my thing up this is we have three minutes. I think about keep going. Yeah, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: I you know, I mean, like I said, we're gonna have this conversation all week long until we finally get the game. But we do have the Kansas State guy coming back tomorrow, right, Yes, who.
Speaker 2: Do we have?
Speaker 3: His name is uh Tim Everson, I think is He's with the Kansas City newspaper. He's the he's one of those guys like the NAU people. He's the sports editor, he's the writer for the team and all that.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a one man band. It was. He's not the guy that we had because we had a Kansas State guy on no way to Kansas guy. If we had a Kansas guy. This is Trevor. I thought we had Kansas State guy while back, quite a while back. Yeah, okay, So we'll have that tomorrow and then we'll add maybe Jake or somebody before the game on Thursday, right, just to catch up, right, absolutely, all right.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, so cool, we'll be busy today. We'll get a hold of him in about two or three minutes and see what's going on.
Speaker 2: Right, it sounds good, all right? What else, Steve? Not much?
Speaker 3: I think we have a call, no, no call, all right, So I think that's it. You want to go, We can go and come back and get a hold of Hey, Bob's.
Speaker 2: Right and form Yeah, right, first, okay, let's go and take our break. We'll be right back, Bob Camp We'll be joining us and we'll just talk about stuff. Maybe we'll talk about what it's like to be retired, all right, We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 2: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 5: With type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rocking Materials. I needed a lot of gravel from my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Toronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona.
Speaker 6: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 2: Arizona Health the.
Speaker 7: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of will Not It's award season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues.
Speaker 2: Summer has a and it's.
Speaker 7: Time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 8: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh sixe eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K Ninez two nine point two Equal Housing Opportunity.
Speaker 2: How to commitment to lindrix in credit rates and available loan programs or up to change undubice.
Speaker 9: Did you know sports cards that memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookies so for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and They have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway that's showtime cards.
Speaker 10: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more.
Speaker 2: Visit Pyramid FCU dot.
Speaker 10: Com Slash ten k challenge to get started today and really insured and CUA.
Speaker 11: Got bugs, termitesmees, or rodents, Arizona Pests Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Selling your home? Want to get more money for it. Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program.
Speaker 2: He has consistently been the.
Speaker 3: Top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Steve Ravera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson's sports stage Jet Fox Sports fourteen fifteen streaming.
Speaker 12: Live I the iHeartRadio aapp.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to ying the ball here on Fox Sports Sports. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Chickensaw And now I think we have Bob camp for Bob.
Speaker 2: Are you want?
Speaker 12: I am here?
Speaker 11: All right?
Speaker 2: We're in a new studio, Bob.
Speaker 4: So we're in a new studio or trying to still figure things out. Answering the phone isn't like a basic thing.
Speaker 2: So good thing, Bob. You don't have to deal with this stuff anymore.
Speaker 12: That's what I'm told.
Speaker 2: How's life for you now?
Speaker 12: Life for me now is it's okay. I mean I'm not doing local radio anymore. They kind of pull the plug on us on July the twelfth.
Speaker 13: I mean, we're good.
Speaker 12: They gave me a nice departure package, so that worked out, okay. And now I have a website, bob temp dot info that people need to check out every day because I need page views on there so I can try to sell it. And today we'll have a have a Diamondbacks update. They're still playing this marathon game because they scored like one hundred runs against Texas. Had news is Meryl Kelly had to leave this game with another injury today. That's not a good thing. Also today, by the way, on bob camp dot net is we'll have an Austin Wells update. The U of alum who's kicking butt with the Yankees. Well a little note on him today too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bob.
Speaker 4: What I want to know more than anything is there gambling information.
Speaker 13: I'm going to be on there all there is today. Okay, this is the first.
Speaker 12: I'm believe this thing's going been off and operating for really two weeks or so, and we've had sort of suggestions for certain games. Today is actually the first baseball edition. I thought you're not quite posted yet. I'm waiting for the Diamondbacks to game in in our discussion end, and I need to add one more baseball item that's gonna I'll get you the update today, But today's.
Speaker 13: The first baseball edition I've had.
Speaker 12: It's been all football at this point. However, once we get to the baseball playoffs, we will definitely cover those in depth. And the baseball playoff started twenty days.
Speaker 2: Twenty God dang, I didn't know. I'd realized it was that close.
Speaker 3: So, Bob, are you going to be handling all the sports up there from your your advantage?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm bought you. I'm paying Well. Well, we don't have to worry about hockey anymore, I thank god, because they're gone. So uh so, I didn't pay attention to them the last five years anyway, So now I don't know all that to tell people, I don't pay attention to hockey anymore. Yeah, so I watch all the Diamondbacks games and uh again once the Suns get started here. And I think the Sons have actually done a good job with their roster in the offseason. They've done exactly what they should have done the last two years and got some complimentary players to go with the stars, and I think they have a better chance to I never bought into them at any point last year. I thought they were a complete joke, including the offseason. But you know, I think the James Jones finally has figured out the compliment. Complimentary players are good for your team. And hopefully Matt the owner is going to let him do his job and not try to be a fantasy basketball owner.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you real quick because of the DeAndre Ayton thing, who who won that? Did the Suns or did DeAndre?
Speaker 12: How about push?
Speaker 2: That's good analogy?
Speaker 12: Yeah it was not good. I mean Nurkice was they? I'm sure they would like to have gotten rid of Durkics this offseason, but who wants him? He was a good rebounder, He is a her wind Is. They went you know eight in his strength in his heyday hair is he was a really good picke and roll defender, which is very important in the NBA. Obviously, Nurkice might be the worst.
Speaker 13: Picke and roll defender of any center in the world.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 12: And uh, you know, as much as he did rebounding and occasionally made him he's good at the rim if he hits the ball, assuming he catches the ball, which was also a problem. But you know it was you know, they were a much better team with Ayton here than with Durkic.
Speaker 4: All right, so let's uh, let's go to the let's go to the Cardinals one game, right, YadA, YadA, YadA. But did you see anything that uh kind of has a might have a lasting impact or you know that you see that this could be a season long thing.
Speaker 2: Anything like that is a tour to tell anything about those guys.
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, I saw way too much of what I saw last year, which is when the.
Speaker 12: Cardinals had the lead, they're they're very good at running the football. Uh, they have an excellent run blocking offensive line. Their past blocking was atrocious last year. It was beyond atrocious in Gay one. And now you basically they lost to the right tackle they've they've got from you know, the Bengals. He's out he's out for a long time, maybe the season, at least for four games. Paris Johnson, who was a really good run blocker at right tackle last year and a terrible pass blocker. Uh, he's playing left tackle now and he was awful in the first game in pass protection. Was a turnstile playing left tackle.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 12: Kyler Murray is still short. He can't see down the field. He's very he's actually accurate when but he's a one one read quarterback if the one if the first read is not there.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 12: For he's been playing five years now. This is not improved at all. And he's you know, I'm not a Kyler Murray guy. I mean he's not in bad not a bad fantasy football quarterback because you get his rushing yards, but he's not. I don't think he's ever going to be a good NFL quarterback. I think he's just as average that you could be. And that wasn't good. And the defense is just atrocious. I mean they have there are a few teams in football that have worse defensive personnel than the Cardinals. That was the case last year. They really didn't do a whole lot to improve that of the offseason, and they gave up. Basically back to the gambling thing. You know, I think that betting me over in almost every Cardinals game is probably at least for the foreseeable future, is a good idea. However, when I say that, I should also stop and say such, I'm not necessarily sure that's a good idea this week, because they play the Rams, and the Rams are going to be without forty four of their five offensive linemen have already been declared out for this game, and Puka Puka and Nakuwa he tried to say, is also out. He's on injured reserved for weeks. So the Rams are extremely shorthanded. The other side of that, of course, the Cardinals against McVay, they have beaten him one time in like seven years, literally seven years. And uh, basically, Sean McVay has beaten four different Carnivals head coaches, starting with Bruce Arians and going on through to you Jonathan Gann, who's.
Speaker 13: There now right right.
Speaker 3: How we we had this debate thirty this week which just trying to find out how tall, how real tall is summary, how what's his actual size?
Speaker 2: Not they lest him at five to ten. He's not five to ten, No, he's not I.
Speaker 12: Stood next to him like three or four years ago, you know, and and uh, I'm like five nine and he's not taller than I am. Yeah, so yeah, it's a yeah, he's a very small dude, and uh yeah he's put together. Well yeah, but I mean he's just a small dude, and he can't see down the middle of the field, across the line of scrimmage. He's a yeah, basically a one read quarterback.
Speaker 13: But it is disturbing.
Speaker 12: He really doesn't seem to be any better now than he was when he was, you know, his rookie season, and he just hasn't been The weaknesses I saw then are still there now. And you know, fortunately for him, you have you know, he's twenty something years old, mid twenties or whatever he is now, and my guess he's not going to get a taller at this point. He's not gonna have a gross, grossfurt at this part of his life.
Speaker 2: You made you made the comment, you made the comment that he's not gonna be or he's not a good NFL quarterback. What's what's missing?
Speaker 4: What do you besides not being tall enough, what's missing that makes him not be a good NFL quarterback?
Speaker 12: Well, I don't think everything is in his in his defense, if there's a defense for him, Yeah, rarely have they had a good pass protecting offensive line. Okay, yeah, for obviously his first what four three four? Was it four years that Kingsbury was here with him? Three years? First three years with King's a lot of people just blamed Kingsbury for everything, which I thought was absurd, and now we have not really I would seen anything different. He's had three different coordinators and all that. Now that's not a good thing either, I'm sure, but for somebody that you basically paid to be one of the high at the time, at least that's obviously changed lately. But at the time he was like the second highest paid quarterback in the league when they gave the absurd contract extension.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree, did you? Before the season started, I think to win maybe eight games.
Speaker 12: No, I was searching for a win total under eight. There's seven and a half's out there. The price wasn't right, so I didn't bet it. But no, I think they're clearly the worst team in the division. I mean clearly the worst team in the division, and partly because it's a good division. Obviously, San Francisco and Los Angeles. My best friend, who is very smart, thinks that the Seahawks are good. I'm not quite buying it on the Seahawks yet, but clearly those three teams are substantially better of the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just have a hard time saying that the Seahawks can be good when Gino Smith is their quarterback.
Speaker 2: I know he he did pretty good, but what the heck? Yeah, no, I'm went on that he.
Speaker 12: Was really good. Guys, did get my years straight here. He was really good in twenty twenty two. Right, He was mediocre at best last year, and they he was awful at the end of close games last year when they had a chance to win some more games. The year before, he made plays at the at the end of the close games and they won those games. Last year. He was a large contributing factor as to why they did win those games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking to Bob Kemp, who's moved on from his radio showing Phoenix to a website.
Speaker 2: Give us the website.
Speaker 12: Again, Bob, bobcamp dot net.
Speaker 2: Bob camp dot net can find out about find out all.
Speaker 12: Right, bobcamp dot I'll get this right, bobcamp dot.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Bob Kevin info dot net, get all the Phoenix sports you want, and then he's gonna give us some gambling tips and we're all going to get rich off what he says.
Speaker 12: Oh no, oh no, some days we do. Some days we don't.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck with that. Look with it. And now you might be getting calls of jail on the side by the way, Hey, hey, left you what do you got going?
Speaker 12: Okay, Well, some days we do.
Speaker 2: Let's talk.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the website a little bit, Bob, because you know you're it's an it's a business venture, obviously, but clearly it's because you love doing this, right, I mean you just don't. I mean, you're you're, you're, you're off the radio station, but you still want to be doing something, right?
Speaker 2: What what what is it in you that makes you want to do that?
Speaker 12: Why?
Speaker 2: Why is that.
Speaker 12: We're doing the whole life?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 12: I mean I was very fortunate I got involved in the newspaper business. It was a high school correspondent for Canandoro High School in twos on and uh nineteen seventy two, when I was a sophomore in high school. I was and that developed into a full time job at the Tucson Citizen for two or three years until I had an opportunity to leave and went to Prescott. Was the sports editor, was first or sports writer in this eventually the sports editor of the Prescott Courier. So I just I've been. Yeah, I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. So my dad was, you know, into sports. My dad was a professional baseball player. Like my first memories of life were watching him play baseball, and in the Ohio State was you know, I'll remember ever not rooting for Ohio State every Saturday.
Speaker 11: Yep.
Speaker 12: So I mean my mother was a softball pitcher back in her day. So it was a sports background, and so you know, I don't think I had much of a choice.
Speaker 2: So now my question is, what the hell happened to you? Just joking, choking.
Speaker 12: That I could play a little softball back in my day a little bit. Yeah, I was young, arm My accuracy was a little shaky at third base, but I always had a good first basement. So just get it over there, all.
Speaker 2: Right, you've been. You've been in Arizona then though for fifty plus years. Right, I was just gonna say you it on I left.
Speaker 12: I left for a while went to Las Vegas for a few years, with Chicago for ten years, so basically moved here. My parents moved to Tucson in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you were found in Vegas, right, I'm sorry you were found in Vegas or discovered kind of Well, I was just radio wise.
Speaker 12: I was my first radio opportunity. But I was still doing hisspapers in seventeen years, eighteen years before I went to Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: All right, big big Arizona State of Arizona sports moments for you that maybe you were for me, things you were at or just something that because you were in Arizona was a big moment.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, and to tell us the times you were at U of A because you went to school here.
Speaker 12: I did. The biggest thing that happened to the U of A when I was going to school there in the seventies was you know, they just joined the Pac twelve and there was the infamous week where they beat USC and UCLA and basketball and consecutive home games. Right, And I still have a button somewhere in this my home here somewhere they had these buttons of the scores when they beat the US. USC was really good. And UCLA was right past the john right after John Wood retired. Right after that, I think Gary Cunningham was the coach there at UCLA then before Larry Brown. But that was like the biggest deal in two So the biggest deal I'm living here is when the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl and I covered this. So I went to Tampa and covered the Super Bowl for the radio station.
Speaker 3: So just real quick, did you how many servings of spaghetti did you beat? After the USC?
Speaker 4: Get one more time that spaghetti, that spaghetti coupon we all got from being at the USC game.
Speaker 12: Oh, we didn't have that. I'll tell you what happened though, is that George Khalil threw a party in his house after they beat U C. L A and basically invited everybody in the arena do it now they want to go to court.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I must mind. Intation must have got lost in the mail because or maybe maybe I dropped.
Speaker 12: On the after the game.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I was, I was charged. I was busy storming the court for that, Bob. I was busy storming the court.
Speaker 12: Well, you're running over me, then, I was. I was a student that was a student. Section for those two games.
Speaker 13: Yep, I was.
Speaker 2: That's where I was. I may have run into you, man, we might we may have met on.
Speaker 12: The court, might have sat next to you.
Speaker 2: You could have could because.
Speaker 4: I'll see what I remember being squeezed into that section that day that night.
Speaker 3: So, Bob, you didn't mention the World Series obviously winning that in two thousand and one.
Speaker 12: I wasn't here. I was where I was working in Chicago. Then I got here the year after they won the World Series. Oh wow, okay, yeah, they went to the World Series last year. They won the World Series in two thousand and one. I was here last year, but I didn't go to any of those playoff games. I was, you know, still, I'm basically at home all Moss all the time.
Speaker 13: So but I did not attend any of the world to be any of the playoff.
Speaker 12: Games last year.
Speaker 3: Well you wanted to ask him, because this is not happening now. But you're sixty five, he's sixty sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Right, Bob, that is correct. You you don't want to just mose you on into the sunset.
Speaker 12: I don't know what am I going to do. I mean, I can only watch so many shows on ion television, you know, which I've watched them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how that's well, yeah, I mean it's kind of like, yeah, what do you do. I mean, I'm not retiring. I just got stuff to do. I have places to do.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I'll have a family, fortunately for the world, and I have eight children.
Speaker 13: So I mean that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 12: Is that's what I just sit here and watch. Okay, basically team the majority of the day, Bob, we.
Speaker 3: Only have a couple of minutes. So let me ask you your worst interview, the worst person.
Speaker 2: You let you liked or did.
Speaker 12: Worst person to interview. Oh, I know, let me think this over herb syndeck Wow.
Speaker 2: Because he was boring.
Speaker 12: But it wasn't his it wasn't his fault. I mean, he's a really, really, really smart guy. But yeah, I eventually I used to do a lot of I used to have mine, not a lot, but you know, more of you three or four times a year, and uh, we just never seem to connect.
Speaker 13: And yeah, I'm not the smartest, the sharpest.
Speaker 12: Two on the shed and he is. So that wasn't good. But then I eventually I figured out ask him something about rules of basketball or the way the game is played or something that. Once I figured that out, which unfortunately is like two or three years after he got the job here, it was good.
Speaker 13: It's just ask him like a, well, what do you think about your.
Speaker 12: Opponent tonight or something like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just a waste of time and your best one, and your best one had to be uh Freeder Freed.
Speaker 12: My best interview ever was I was like nineteen years old working for the Citizen in Tucson, and I got the interview Chris Everett, who was like twenty and yeah, I mean, my god, every male in America that, even whether you were like nineteen or seventy, you were in love with Chris Everett. And then yeah, she sensed that I was very I was also very nervous talking to her, and she like almost told me to think she'd actually did tell me just calm down. There was the World Team Tennis thing in Arizona, the Phoenix Rackets maybe, and they played a couple of exhibition matches in Tucson, and that's why that was part of my job at the Citizens. Of the summer as well, you used to cover high school sports in the summer. It was kind of like, yeah, whatever is going on? Right, Yeah, somebody else wasn't covering, so I got sent as a World Team tennis and interviewed her.
Speaker 3: Well, Bob, appreciate your time. We're gonna get ahold of you back when this thing starts running. One more time with your website so we can say goodbye.
Speaker 12: Bob Kemp dot info and anytime that you'd like to call. I've got plenty of time and I'm paying attention, so I appreciate it. Thanks, thanks very much.
Speaker 2: All right, I appreciate it. That's Bob Kemp from Bob Kem Bimpo. All Right, we're way over, so we gotta get out of here. Okay, yeah, we are all right, let's take a break.
Speaker 4: We're well be back. We'll take your calls. Five two zero four one six seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them competed against them and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while gat lemanhandly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space and your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms, and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot Arizona Health.
Speaker 2: The lean to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 7: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college team came in the college can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate.
Speaker 2: You need to prepare for the career you want.
Speaker 7: PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera heir and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 2: With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen North Temple or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Steve Ravera and Jacin Salz they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports stag Chat Fox Sports fourteenth.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to ye in the ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, pas Jacob Jass you got a guy head eli with us today.
Speaker 2: We got about the fifteen minutes left right here, yep, if you want to call it, No.
Speaker 4: We have about fifteen thirteen, No, about ten minutes left, ten eleven minutes. Oh, because we're going to that clock goes to the top of the hour. We got we got to come out twelve minutes on this one. We got to come out of fifty six right.
Speaker 2: Fifty six military time. I saw it yesterday. He subtract four minutes off of that. That's when we got to cut down.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you want to call it, I did. Someone tried to call in earlier and it got disconnected or whatever. Call us back five to zero four one six seventy four to forty. We'd love to hear from you. We got some good calls yesterday.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: Good for Bob, you know, because he's sixty seven. All right, I think you and I are in the same boat. I mean, I'm like, I can retire now, but I don't want to retire. I don't want to do I want to do stuff. I mean, I don't want to be sitting at home like he said. I mean, I do watch eva, I do watch games and stuff, But I want to be out doing stuff, right. I have clothes on today, I got slacks and a golf show. You're working at Dillers or something. I used to work at Dillars. I worked on the dock. And I see your shoes shoe sizes. Man, okay, cool?
Speaker 2: Cool? Uh No, I get it.
Speaker 3: I mean when you when you have that sixty seven, you can do what you want to, not do what you want to. Like I said, I'm never going to retire. Plus we're okay were you? Both both of us have had a chance to work in sports. For you, you longer than me. But I worked long enough where I have an appreciation work.
Speaker 2: It didn't feel like work and the job like like you have to go to the post office, or like you have to go to Dillards and work, or like you got to go to a roof and right whatever. You know, we were we were going to sporting events, and we were covering sports, and we were going to practices and and and talking about sports. That's not no no. So but let me say this to you though, because you dealt with it more than I did. Back in the day. Were some of the most out of shape.
Speaker 3: How you doing smokers for back in the day, you know, making deadline nervous as all held to make that deadline right, you have ten minutes to do a story, and you had to be good right by the time you made your deadline, You're like, where's the next pub? You know, where's exactly you're looking for the next pub because you needed a drink, right And don't you know those dudes I do.
Speaker 4: I was one of those dudes because I had, you know, as a as a as a writer for the morning paper. You know my story. You know, an Arizona game would end at ten. I had to have a first story in by eleven. So I'm watching the game and I'm writing my story, but I've got to turn the story in by eleven because we had a first We had what was called the State Edition, which was an early deadline for papers that went out to surrounding communities. Then you had a final deadline, which was like five minutes to twelve. So I would I would get a story in, run down to locker rooms, get quotes, and come back and insert that stuff into the story and resend it. You know, those those eight thirty basketball games were a pain because now your deadline was was shorter and you had to you know, you had to get a quote and even faster get a quote, get in. It was stressful, It was hard. But I never saw it as real work. No, no, no, if there is work, that was the work. Yeah, because going to games and all that, so driving to out of town whatever.
Speaker 2: If you had a family, it was different because yeah, you missed your family.
Speaker 3: But the deadline stuff and I didn't really have to deal with it because I was in the afternoon paper.
Speaker 2: Right. But for those guys, and I know those guys, those crusty yeah, I gotta go smoke, you know, you know, those nervous guys. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but on the flip side of that, for me, that meant my work was done. Yeah at midnight, yeah, all right, there were some bar minutes left and I would go use those up, you know pretty much, you know, every time, whether it was whether we were the road or at home, right.
Speaker 2: Do we have a caller? Not yet?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so you know it's uh, it's but I never felt in the end is it didn't feel like a job. It just felt I was fun, I did.
Speaker 13: You.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I left the business, I stopped smoking when I left the business. I stopped smoking, so you know, I uh, all right, we're ready to go. We got a callar go ahead. Hello, Hi, you're you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 13: Well, it's a real adventure to do that today.
Speaker 12: I can tell you.
Speaker 4: It is it is, it is, Jim, and we're trying to figure it out. But we're getting there.
Speaker 13: I'm trying to help you. Well, I want to say, I've got a couple of comments about this week's game and and the outlook here.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think.
Speaker 13: They're going to lose. I think they're gonna lose, probably big time. And the reason I say that they against two you know many football teams. Really, they haven't been able to control the line of scrimmage at all. They haven't been able to press and push their running game in order to control the ball.
Speaker 2: You are correct so.
Speaker 13: To think they're going to go into Kansas State's home territory and have any success. All I can imagine is that Britain that would have been sandbagging for two weeks, which I think was a terrible idea.
Speaker 3: If he was so, so, Jim, what would what would discourage you for a week later? Give me a score like if it's if you lose forty to ten, if they lose forty to twenty seven, is that better?
Speaker 2: What would be?
Speaker 13: Okay, I don't think the score is going to matter much. If I had to call a score, i'd say would be about forty one to seventeen.
Speaker 2: Jays is going to be Huh, I was just thinking of Jay sc Yeah. I don't agree with that. First.
Speaker 4: I don't agree that that's going to be the score. I don't think everyone's going to win.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're gonna get beat like that because I don't think the defense is going to give up forty points to Kansas State if they lose by it to New Mexico.
Speaker 4: I know, I understand that, and and and I think that that was a product of a lot of things. But you know, teams get better and their they're Game three. I don't think they're going to give up that kind of thing. If they lose, it's going to be a twenty seven, seventeen twenty seven whatever.
Speaker 2: I think they'll be in the game, but I don't know. I like, you don't expect them to win.
Speaker 4: I don't expect them to get blown out because I think talent wise, uh, they're good enough to not have that happen.
Speaker 2: Understand what you're saying. I understand what you're saying. In terms of what they've shown.
Speaker 13: I agree with that, but let you know again, they're not one thing that we have seen that would tell us they're going to improve on a forty point Okay, nothing, Jim.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of on your side. I kind of am. But I don't know about a blowout, Steve. That Jim, that's a real blowout.
Speaker 13: I said forty one seventeen.
Speaker 2: I just don't think they're going to forty one seventeens a blowout.
Speaker 13: I think they're going to go to Kansas State and have based on what we've seen, I don't think they're going to have any success with that same garbage.
Speaker 2: So what was your second? Wait?
Speaker 4: Wait, if forty one seventeen is not a blowout, what is a blowout? Because I think forty one seventeen is a blowout.
Speaker 13: It's uh, it's five touchdowns and two field goals and the other side is two touchdowns.
Speaker 2: But forty one seventeen to me qualifies as a blowout. So I don't think they you know, forty one seventeen is a run rule so I don't know. All right.
Speaker 4: Well, I hear you, Jim, And I know that there's a lot of people who think like you, think that they haven't seen anything that leads them to believe Arizona can hang with with Kansas State.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure there's some people in Kansas who think they can't.
Speaker 13: I'm so disappointed that they didn't just push the line put and if they failed a couple series, so well go back and push the line and the running game again and again until you get it right in the game. Yeah, I hear you, because that's the only way they're going to have success.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I hear you, Jim. I totally hear you. I'm just not in agreement with you in terms of what I think is going to happen. I agree with what you're saying about what has happened.
Speaker 13: We can daydream about what's going to happen, so until it happened, all right, Jim.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks about you appreciate it. Okay, all right, again, I go back to experience. Right coming out of Texas Tech nineteen eight, nineteen eighty nine season, they got obliterated, obliterated.
Speaker 3: They had every reason to win that Geve going.
Speaker 4: In right Texas Tech was you know the I mean you just and they got smashed and I came out of that game thinking they don't they don't even win three games that year.
Speaker 2: Then they beat number nine Oklahoma here that was. That was a typical dictomy.
Speaker 4: Regardless what happened last week can change dramatically, sure for what happened to what happens this week.
Speaker 3: The thing about it, without us, we don't know what we don't know because two games we just don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know the Brennan situation.
Speaker 3: In fact, Javier Javier said he did a couple of stories on Brendan Brenton. If you have time to call us, we have some time. Give us a freer calls and just tell us what you researched and what you saw, if you'd like to call us.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying is that it's not out of the realm of possibility that Arizona can show up and play really well on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Maybe not, maybe maybe they don't have the guys.
Speaker 4: Maybe the depth is more of an issue than we think, but maybe not right And so until it happens, I'm not going to you know, I'm not going to sit here and say that there's no way because I think again, in the n STVS are college guys, right. You know, from one week to the next, stuff happens, and it changes dramatically. Who thought, after what Texas A and what Notre Dame did to Texas A and M that they were going to lose an illinoist home that just goes dramatic.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I guess can change. That's why emotions play so so big of a game. You get up for a one game here, you think you got the world by the ingers, and the ingers get you back to it.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean in no matter.
Speaker 4: I mean people were talking about Notre Dame being undefeated and going into the playoffs, right, would they talk about not even making the playoff?
Speaker 2: Maybe they go eight and four and they have no shot. We'll see it. Just the swings.
Speaker 4: The NFL doesn't have those kinds of swings. They happened very rarely. It's like, you know, from one week to the next, what you've got.
Speaker 2: In covering college sports.
Speaker 3: You don't know about emotions, don't know about egos, you don't know about things like that, where all we just have to show up. I've seen it a thousand times. So I've covered all these TENNC double tournaments. Explain Santa Clara, Explain East Tennessee State, Explain all these reamiable hiles. Right, explain ninety seven exact basketball and explain ninety eight other Right, they're good enough to win it all again.
Speaker 4: And then then a crappy UNLV team goes and smacks them in the face. It's just so I'm not willing to give in and say this isn't you know that they can't that they can't beat uh, you know, Kansas State.
Speaker 13: So uh.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I just don't. I'm not buying that. I'm not buying it. So okay, all right, well let's go ahead and take our break. Yeah, well, top to the hour, right top of the hour, we're here.
Speaker 4: We're going to be back. You got breaking news, did be We've got to learn on the board, Henry, but hopefully there's a bunch of stuff. But we've got breaking news. And then we've got Adrian Danny will talk a little bit too, Sun road Runners. In the second hour, we bear it back