Speaker 1: You know, we really live in a world that's full of competing beliefs and values and choices, and what you believe shapes how you live and ultimately who you become. But the good news is God hasn't left us to figure it all out alone.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: In fact, today, on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, we're going to continue our series Reframing Your Worldview, where Rick Warren unpacks powerful truths from God's Word to help you see life clearly and live it with confidence and purpose. Let's jump right in for part two of a message called how did the World get so Messed Up?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: This morning, I want to just quickly look at five dimensions of the damage that when sin entered the world, and when we continue to sin, we continue to blow it. It affects five areas. There are natural implications. There are physical implications, there are emotional implications, there are relational implications, and there are spiritual implications every time we blow it. Okay, so let's look at them. What are five results of living in a fallen world? Number one, there are natural disasters and deformities.
Speaker 3: Natural disasters and.
Speaker 2: Deformities nature doesn't always act in a rational way. It often acts in an irrational way, and there are national natural disasters. And when people ask why are their hurricanes and why are their droughts? And why are there earthquakes? And why are there tidal ways and all of these other different natural disasters, the answer is very simple. The planet is broken, it's fallen. This is not a perfect place. And the Bible says that very clearly that there are It's not perfect anymore. In fact, by tells us in Romans eight twenty, creation was condemned to lose its purpose. The original purpose of creation was to be in perfect harmony with Man and perfect harmony with God. It is not, and the elements are rough, and it can be very unkind. And so today creation doesn't always work the right way.
Speaker 3: The Bible says that it is.
Speaker 2: Look at the next verse, creation is confused, you know, when you look at things like how do animals get sometimes deformed or defected? And why sometimes are babies born with major defects and are major deformities, Well, it's because of sin. Sin in my own personal life could be I mean, in other words, if I'm a drug mom and I take crack cocaine and then I have a deformed baby.
Speaker 3: That's the result of sin. Or if I've got AIDS and then.
Speaker 2: I pass it on that baby didn't do anything wrong, but somebody did something wrong. Most likely they may, you know, somebody gave them the wrong blood transfusion, or they had sex with somebody who had AIDS or something. There was some somewhere back something went wrong. And even when you see things like Siamese twins that are born conjoined at the head, where did that come from? It's because we live on a broken planet. And the Bible says creation is confused. It's not a perfect place, and all of the environmental problems that we have in the world are a result of sin. There was no pollution in the garden of Eden, there was no raping of the landscape.
Speaker 3: There was no you know, not taking care of the planet. It was all because of sin.
Speaker 2: The problems of physical problems on this planet are result of evil.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 2: And the Bible tells us all of creation groans with pain Romans eight twenty two. Why it groans with pain because it knows it's not made for that way. It's made to be in harmony. And actually nature is quite harsh sometimes, so there are natural disasters and deformities. Second, there is physical decay and death in the world because we live in a fallen planet, physical decay and death. The Bible says this in second Corindians four sixteen. Our physical body is becoming older and weaker. Want to look at you and I can prove that. Okay, you don't have your youthful beauty, and our bodies are getting weaker and they're getting older. There are no perfect bodies. You can air brush them into perfection, but there are no perfect bodies.
Speaker 3: A lot of us have furniture, you know.
Speaker 2: Our chest drops into our drawers and things do. Not everything works right in your body.
Speaker 3: Have you figured that out? It just why Because we're in a fallen planet. Not everything works right.
Speaker 2: If we're in a perfect planet, there would be no need for doctors. But we live in a fallen world. You know, I kind of hesitate telling you this. But there's this guy who he went over here to the claim jumper about a year ago, and his single guy and he's sitting in a booth and a woman comes in as a single woman, and she sits in the booth right next to him, and she starts having a sneezing attack and as she's sneezing.
Speaker 3: I hate to tell you this, she's sneezing.
Speaker 2: Real hard and her glass eye popped out and the guy reaches over and he catches it before it hits the ground. That's a way to start a conversation. So he goes over and in that embarrassing moment, they start talking to each other and they actually laugh about it, and they actually end up going out on a date.
Speaker 3: A year later, they're married.
Speaker 2: They're married, and at the wedding, the pastor asked the woman said, well, what was it about this guy that really attracted you? And she said, well, you know, he just kind of caught my eye.
Speaker 3: Look at this verse up here on the screen.
Speaker 2: Our earthly bodies, which die and decay, are different from the bodies we're going to have in heaven, Thank God, for they will never die. The bodies we have now embarrass us. Anybody wants say amen on that. Okay, The bodies we have now embarrass us for they become sick and die, but they will be full of glory when we come back to life again in heaven. So the second problem is not only is the earth damage, but we'd damage physically by sin by defects, and that's why we have all these medical bills. We live in a fallen planet. In physics, they call this the law of entropy. And the law of entropy is that everything in the universe is continuously, irreversibly decaying.
Speaker 3: That's the law of entropy.
Speaker 2: That all matter is degrading, and that all energy is dispersing. They sinus have known this for years. It's dispersing into disorder. In other words, this world is winding down, it's decaying, which, by the way, totally contradicts the the you know, the second law of thermo dynamics, and the law of entropy totally discredits the law the theory of evolution, which says things are getting better, things are getting more complex, and they're getting improved. Well, it denies the second law thermodynamics. Now, not only do we have decay, but we have death in the world. And the Bible says this, everyone dies because all of us are related to Adam, the first man. Now, one of the reasons why we die is God doesn't want us hanging around on an imperfect planet. To live on a fallen planet for eternity, that would be hell.
Speaker 3: And God says, I didn't make.
Speaker 2: You to live in a place of imperfection forever. I made you to live in a place of perfection forever. So I want you to know me, choose to be in my family so you can live in that place forever. So one day God's going to shut down this earth because he is prepared a place that's perfect in eternity. The Bible says this, All creation anticipates the day when it will join God children in glorious freedom from death and decay.
Speaker 3: Says, even the world.
Speaker 2: Is looking for the Earth is looking. Nature's looking forward to that day. So we've got natural disasters, and we got physical decay and death. Number three, we have emotional distress and disappointment.
Speaker 3: Why do you get stressed out?
Speaker 2: Why do you get disappointed because you live on a fallen planet? You live in an imperfect world because evil exists and sin exists, and stress is the result of living in a damage, sinful world. And I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but most things don't live up to their hype. Most things are overrated and they're told like they're the next thing since slice bread, and that you know they're not all they're cracked up to beat and you go to an event and you go out, you go, is that all there is? Do you remember that song is Peggy Lee or Brindley? Anybody remember that song? Is that all they're? Those are all the old folks in the church.
Speaker 3: Okay, But you know it just doesn't it? Why? Because it doesn't last? You know.
Speaker 2: As a pastor, of course, I've worked with a lot of young couples who spend a year working on their wedding and it's like, where are we going to put the candies? And what kind of bag are the candies going to be in? And what color are the candies? And they spend an entire year and then it's over in a couple hours. I've always thought if they spent that much time in preparing for the marriage instead of preparing for the wedding, we'd have stronger marriages and fewer divorces. I know, people say, oh, we don't have time for premarital counseling because we're too busy planning the wedding. I'll tell you, the wedding isn't going to last. The marriage is what you want to last. If you spend as much time on pre marriage counseling, you but you're married, you do far more for your relationship than what color are the candies. So in a fallen world, we get disappointed by events. They're just not all they're cracked up to be we imagined. How many of you, be honest, how many of you were ever disappointed by a prom?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, most of the men raise their hands. I just saw that, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many you have ever gone to a big movie and then you walk down going what a waste?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have any of you ever been distressed or disappointed by a vacation?
Speaker 3: You know? I think job was. I found this verse in the Bible. Here. It says here in Job six, p.
Speaker 2: Twenty they are distressed because they had been confident. Then they arrive only be disappointed. I think he's talking about Vegas. Okay, distressed because they'd been confident, you know, there's gonna be good, good, Oh, we're gonna really have fun.
Speaker 3: Then they arrive only to be disappointed.
Speaker 2: Now, if you are a perfectionist, you're going to live constantly with disappointment because there's nothing perfect in this world. The Bible says, there is nothing perfect in the world except truth.
Speaker 3: God's word is perfect.
Speaker 2: It's the only thing that's going to be perfect, so everything else is going.
Speaker 3: To disappoint you constantly. This is not heaven.
Speaker 2: And part of maturity and part of growing up is learning, and you have to teach us to your kids how to deal with disappointment and learning how to deal with failure, because you don't succeed in everything you.
Speaker 3: Do, and if kids don't learn how to.
Speaker 2: Fail, they are going to be warped in life. They have to learn how to fail good because nobody succeeds at everything, and it's a myth that you're going to succeed at everything, and you're gonna have to learn disappointment and how to deal with it, not just with your circumstances, but you're gonna have to learn how to deal with this appointment in yourself because you let yourself down a lot, and you finally come to the point, you know what, all of my dreams probably aren't going to be realized, and I'm not really as good as I think I am, and you start getting disappointed with yourself and a lot of guys go through midlife crisis on that. Paul says in Romans seven eighteen, I realized I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. And so we have to stop living in denial. And that's why I love the Bible, because the Bible says, have the sane estimate of yourself and your gifts. Know what you're good at. Your shaped to do some certain things well. Now other things you're not shaped to do well. Now, here's a fourth result of living in a fallen world, and it is relational distance and discord. And this is the one that really bothers us a lot. Relational distance and discord. Every marriage conflict you've had, or conflict with your brother or sister, your boyfriend or your girlfriend, or your parents, all of that can be boiled down to one word. Sin. Sin is in the bottom of every conflict, every marriage conflict.
Speaker 3: I want what I want, You want what you want.
Speaker 2: And when Adam and Eve sinned, it not only disconnected him from God, it disconnected themselves from each other. Before sin and evil entered the world, Adam and Eve had the only perfect relationship. They're in the Garden of Eden, place of perfection, by themselves, no in laws, no clothes, no kids, no misunderstanding. Adam looks at or says Eve you're the only woman in the world for me.
Speaker 3: And he meant it. He wasn't lying, He meant it.
Speaker 2: And I mean they're having one good time. And Adam and Eve had soul and a see heart to heart, not just sex, but man, they understood each other. They were soulmates. It's like, you know, I just know exactly what you're thinking. And today we're going I have no idea what she's thinking. What in the world is she thinking, What in the world is he thinking? You know, I read about it or heard about a psychological study this week that they put censors on male human beings and they measured what phrases created the greatest stress in their lives.
Speaker 3: I'm not making this up. This is not a joke. No, my eye fell out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and uh, this is really true. They studied what causes chemical reactions and a male body, and the single phrase that creates the greatest source of stress in the male anatomy is this phrase, honey, we need to talk.
Speaker 3: I'm not making that up. Honey.
Speaker 2: We need all kinds of physiological things, and it's not in doorphins that go off in a male body when honey, we need to talk, is said, why because we have relational distance and discord, and the intimacy that Adam and Eve had when there was no sin was replaced by fear and hiding and distrust and shame, and every relationship has had to deal with those ever since. In fact, the Bible says this in Genesis three. They suddenly felt shame at their nakedness, so they strung together fig leaves together to cover themselves up. And people, men and women have been covering up ever since. And I'm not just talking about clothes, but we cover ourselves up emotionally, and we don't let people get close to us, so we don't let people see the real us, and we hide from each other. In fact, Adam did the two things that every human being does, every man and every woman in relationships. He hid and he blamed when he sinned. And God came to him, and God.
Speaker 3: Says, where are you Adam?
Speaker 2: Of course he knew exactly where he was, and Adam goes, I was afraid, so I hid, as if you can hide from God. I was afraid and I hid. What are you hiding in your life? I was afraid and I hid. I didn't let you see the real me. And then he said, And then not only did he hide, he blamed. He said, well, it's the woman that you gave me that got me into this mess. And we've been blaming each other for our problems ever since, hiding and hurling, hiding and hurling, hiding and hurling. We hide our own weaknesses and we hurl blame at other people all the time, and it creates shame and fear and distrust, and then we we cover ourselves up with fig leaves. My question you this morning would be what's your fig leaf? What's your fig leaf? What do you use to cover up the real you? I know some people who use humor and they make a joke out of everything because they don't want anybody to get close to their real emotions. And they're they're the joker. They don't let any everything's a joke. And other people they play the martyr role, and other people build a wall or a shell around them. And I'm not going to ever let anybody hurt me again.
Speaker 3: Where does that come from?
Speaker 2: It comes from sin, which created evil, which created a fallen planet.
Speaker 3: We live in a fallen world.
Speaker 2: And sin makes us defensive and distant and demanding, you know, And we can joke about well, men are from Mars and women are from Venus, and we don't know what we're thinking. But the truth is, no doubt some of you right now are in major pain right now, and I'm sorry you're in major pain relationship. Why because of sin? That's why. Because sin damages everything it touches. Now, there's a fifth area, and it's spiritual discontent and darkness. Spiritual discontent and darkness. Sin leaves a hole in your heart that nothing can satisfy. I believe it was Pascal who said there's a God shaped hole in our heart. We try to fill it with everything else, money, sex, power, popularity, but nothing. It's like putting a square in a round hole. It doesn't fit. God can only feel that emptiness in your heart. Saint Augustine said, thou hast made us for thyself, Lord, and our hearts are restless until they find themselves. Indeed, and so we go around unsatisfied, searching, unfulfilled, because we don't know what we're missing. What we're missing is the relationship with God that is broken by sinning.
Speaker 3: We need to get reconnected.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for joining us today on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. What does it take to become more loving, live more peacefully, develop patients have self control well. Pastor Rick says, throughout all the years he's been a pastor, the number one question that he's been asked is wait for it. Why can't I change? You know, people really want to change, but they're stock and maybe you feel that way too. So in his book God's Power to Change Your Life, Rick lays out the groundwork for personal transformation, and then he offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that can take you from where you are right now to where you.
Speaker 3: Want to be.
Speaker 1: This book really connects you with the power to actually make the changes that you long to make. And as you apply the truth of God's word by the power of His Spirit, your life will change and you'll get on track with God's wonderful purposes for your life. So be sure to request your copy of God's Power to Change Your Life when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the Hope of Jesus to people everywhere. That's our way of saying thanks. Just go to Pastorick dot com, or you can text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. That's pastorick dot com and that's got two rs in the middle, or just text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine, and we thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us at Daily Hope. We hope you'll join us next time as we continue to look into God's word for our daily hope. And this program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.