Speaker 1: Welcome to this deep dive into threat hunting in the cloud. We know you're interested in how to handle threats across multiple cloud providers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be a real challenge.
Speaker 1: It's like securing a fortress with walls that are constantly shifting and changing.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: We've got excerpts from a book called Threat Hunting in the Cloud Defending Aws, Azure and other cloud platforms against cyber attacks to help us out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this book is a great resource. It really dives into the assumed breach mentality, which is so important for threat hunting.
Speaker 1: So it's not about just waiting for alarms to go off. You're actively searching for those subtle signs exactly.
Speaker 3: It's about assuming that the attackers are already in your environment and looking for evidence of their presence.
Speaker 1: So let's pee a picture for our listener. Imagine a company using both Aws and Azure, so juggling data across both platforms. What makes threat hunting particularly tricky in that multi cloud scenario.
Speaker 3: Well, you've got different security tools, different interfaces, even different logging format.
Speaker 1: So it's not just different clouds you're dealing with entirely different security ecosystems.
Speaker 3: Right, and that can make it really difficult to get a unified view of your security posture.
Speaker 1: So how do you even begin to approach threat hunting in that kind of environment.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing that can help is a framework like MI I, T R, A T T and CK.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've heard of that.
Speaker 3: It basically maps out all the different tactics and techniques that attackers use.
Speaker 1: So it's like a playbook for understanding cyber attacks exactly.
Speaker 3: And it can be really helpful for threat hunters because it gives them a common language to describe attacks and it helps them to develop hypotheses.
Speaker 2: For their hunts.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, but let's not forget the human element here. Who are these threat hunters and what kind of skills do they need?
Speaker 3: Well, thread hunters are kind of a special breed, you know. They need to have a deep understanding of security concepts. They need to be good at data analysis, and of course they need to be comfortable with programming languages.
Speaker 1: Because they're sifting through mountains of log data exactly.
Speaker 3: But perhaps even more importantly, they need critical thinking skills and a healthy dose of paranoia.
Speaker 1: They have to constantly be thinking like an attacker exactly.
Speaker 3: They have to be asking themselves what if the attackers were already in where would they hide?
Speaker 2: What would their footprints look like.
Speaker 1: It's like being a digital detective, constantly searching.
Speaker 2: For clues, exactly.
Speaker 1: But this book also highlights the sheer scale of the threat we're facing these days. It's not just about loan hackers and basements anymore, is it.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not. Cybercrime is a multi trillion dollar industry now, and the bad guys are getting more organized and sophisticated all the time.
Speaker 1: So we've got everything from opportunistic cyber criminals to highly organized criminal gangs.
Speaker 2: Right, and then you've got the nation state.
Speaker 1: Actors, the real pros with deep pockets and long term agendas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are the ones that can really keep you up at night.
Speaker 1: The book uses the Solar Winds attack as an example.
Speaker 3: Right, and that was a really sophisticated attack. They were able to go undetected for months.
Speaker 1: One of the things they did was they compromise the supply chain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they inserted malicious code into a trusted software update, which is then distributed to thousands of organizations.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about defending your own perimeter anymore. It's about understanding and securing your entire digital supply chain exact. So that adds a whole other layer of complexity to threat hunting. It definitely does, and it highlights why traditional security measures like firewalls and anti virus software aren't enough anymore.
Speaker 3: You need that proactive threat hunting approach to uncover the attacks that slip past your initial defenses.
Speaker 1: So let's dive into some of the specific attack vectors that the book highlights. We know that phishing is still a huge problem, even in sophisticated cloud environments. What makes it so difficult to combat well.
Speaker 3: Phishing attacks have gotten incredibly targeted and convincing.
Speaker 2: These days.
Speaker 3: We're way past those poorly written emails with obvious typos.
Speaker 1: So they're not easy to spot.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Attackers can craft personalized emails that look like they come from your CEO, your bank, or even your trusted cloud provider.
Speaker 1: So they're doing their research and they're exploiting our trust exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's not just about clicking on a link anymore. Phishing attacks can be used to deliver a variety of payloads, from malware to ransomware to credential stealing.
Speaker 1: Tools, and once those payloads are in your cloud environment, they can spread rapidly and cause serious damage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can be really tough to contain.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got phishing, which is still the most common attack vector. But the book also talks about ransomware, which seems to be evolving at an alarming rate. What are some of the new trends you're seeing there?
Speaker 3: Well, one trend is that ransomware attacks are becoming more sophisticated and more targeted in what way? Well, for example, attackers are using techniques like double extortion.
Speaker 1: What's that.
Speaker 3: It's where they not only encrypt your data, but they also steal it and threaten to release it publicly if you don't pay the ransom.
Speaker 1: So they're really turning up the pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the speed of these attacks is also terrifying. Some ransomware attacks can spread through an entire network in less than forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: It's barely enough time to grab a coffee.
Speaker 2: Ah, you know, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: So backups are essential, but even those might not be enough if the attackers have already exultrated your sensitive data.
Speaker 1: And I imagine this rapid spread is even more of a challenge in a multi cloud environment where you've got data scattered across different platforms.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 3: If you don't have a unified view of your security posture across all your cloud environments, it's incredibly difficult to detect and contain a ransomware attack quickly.
Speaker 1: So you need to have the right tools and processes in place, exactly, and.
Speaker 3: You need to be able to respond quickly and decisively.
Speaker 1: So we're really starting to see how the complexity of the multi cloud environment amplifies the challenges of thread hunting. It's not just about understanding the individual threats, it's about understanding how they can exploit the unique vulnerabilities of this interconnected landscape exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's why building a strong thread hunting program, especially in a multi cloud world, requires a multifaceted approach.
Speaker 1: You need the right people, the right processes, and the right technology exactly.
Speaker 3: And you need to be constantly adapting and evolving your approach as the threat landscape changes.
Speaker 1: So we've established that threat hunting in the multi cloud world it's complex. But this book it doesn't just stay in the present. It looks ahead too, the future of threat hunting, and some of what it talks about it's like something out of a sci fi movie.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: The threat landscape is constantly evolving, yeah, and so are the ways we defend ourselves. One of the most interesting developments is AI, Artificial intelligence in cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: AI it seems like it's everywhere these days, but how is it used in threat hunting? Sometimes it feels like just a buzzword.
Speaker 3: It's definitely not just type AI and machine learning. They're already playing a big role in threat hunting, and they're only going to get bigger.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 3: Threat hunters are always going through tons of data looking for those tiny signs of an attack. AI can automate that process, analyzing data way faster than humans ever could.
Speaker 1: So AI it's not replacing human threat hunters. It's more like a really powerful assistant helping them do their job better.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 3: AI can help with things like anomaly detection, finding patterns that are out of the ordinary and that could mean malicious activity. It can also help with threat intelligence, connecting data from different sources to spot new threats and even predict what attackers might do next.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly powerful, but I've also heard some concerns about relying too much on AI. Couldn't attackers use AI against us, turning our own defenses against us.
Speaker 3: It's a valid concern and something security researchers are working on. AI could be used for good or bad. The key is to make strong AI models, models that can't be easily manipulated, and use them as just one part of your security strategy, not the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So AI is a powerful tool, but you can't replace human expertise. You still need those thread hunters who can understand the nuances of attacks and make informed decisions.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, humans are still crucial on cybersecurity. AI helps us see the big picture, but it's who make sense to the data, connect the dots, and decide how to react.
Speaker 1: In speaking of big changes, the book mentioned something even more futuristic, quantum computing. I have to admit I don't really get that one. Can you break it down?
Speaker 3: Quantum computing it's a whole different way of thinking. It uses quantum mechanics to do calculations at speeds you can't even imagine with regular computers. It's still early days, but it could change everything, including cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's really fast computing but how does that affect threat hunting?
Speaker 3: Well, think about this. A lot of our digital world relies on encryption algorithms. They're practically unbreakable with today's computers, but a strong enough quantum computer, it could crack those algorithms wide open. Our current security measures would be useless.
Speaker 1: So quantum computing is a double edged sword. It could lead to great advancements, but it could also give attackers a huge advantage, letting them break through our defenses exactly, And.
Speaker 3: That's why researchers are working on new encryption algorithms, yeah, and security protocols ones that can with stand quantum attacks. It's a race against time, a race we can't afford to lose.
Speaker 1: So AI's on the rise, quantum computing's on the horizon. The future of threat hunting sounds like a wild ride. But let's talk about something that's happening now. Threat hunting as a service. What is that and why are companies turning to it?
Speaker 3: Threat hunting is a service we call it ties. It's basically outsourcing your threat hunting. You get a specialized provider to do it for you. It's becoming really popular, especially for organizations that don't have the resources or the expertise to build their own threat hunting program.
Speaker 1: So instead of building a team of cybersecurity ninjas from scratch, you hire a team that's already out there fighting the bad guys on the front lines.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to put it. TOSS providers have the experience, the tools, the threat intelligence to help organizations of all sizes. They can monitor your systems twenty four to seven hundred, analyze logs for a suspicious activity, even help you respond to incidents.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a great option for companies just charting out with threat hunting or those who feel overwhelmed by the multi cloud world. But what about companies that have already invested in their own security. Do they still need TOSS They.
Speaker 3: Can still benefit even companies with mature security programs. They can get specialized expertise from TOAs providers. Think of it like calling in a special forces team when you need extra firepower. TOS providers can work with your existing team, bring a fresh perspective, advanced threat intelligence, even specialized tools you.
Speaker 2: Might not have.
Speaker 1: So TOAs can be a good addition to any security program, whether you're just starting out or you're already a pro exactly.
Speaker 3: And as the threats keep evolving, I think we'll see more companies using tos to stay ahead.
Speaker 2: Of the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about the people on the processes. What about the technology. The book mentions Azure Sentinel and Amazon Guard Duty. But technology changes so fast. What's next for threat hunting tools?
Speaker 3: The evolution of threat hunting tools is fascinating. One big trend is integration. Right now, a lot of security teams are dealing with tools sprawl. They've got a bunch of different tools and they don't work well together.
Speaker 1: So it's like trying to fight a war with soldiers from different countries who can't understand each other.
Speaker 3: That's a great analogy. But things are changing. We're seeing more integrated platforms that can take data from lots of sources, correlate events, and give you a more complete view of your security.
Speaker 1: So instead of having a bunch of separate tools, you have one central command center where you can see everything that's happening exactly.
Speaker 3: And this is crucial for multi cloud environments where you're dealing with data from different providers. Another trend to watch for is XDR Extended Detection and Response.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's XDR. How is it different from the other tools.
Speaker 3: Think of XDR as the next step from EDR Endpoint Detection and Response EDER focuses on individual devices like laptops and servers. XDR expands that to include cloud workloads, email, identity and more. It's like having a security camera that can see everything else.
Speaker 1: So it connects the dots between different security data sources to get a complete picture of the attack.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and that visibility is key for threat hunting. The more data you have, the more likely you are to find those subtle signs of an attack.
Speaker 1: And I bet AI and machine learning play a big part in XDR helping make sense of all that data.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, AI and machine learning are essential to analyze huge amounts of data and find those needles in the haystack, the events that really signal a threat.
Speaker 1: So threat hunting tools in the future they'll be more integrated, more intelligent, more powerful. That's a huge change, it.
Speaker 3: Really is, and these changes will be crucial as we face more sophisticated cyber threats.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot, but before we move on, what about regulations? Are there any specific ones for threat hunting in the cloud?
Speaker 3: That's important The rules around cloud security are always changing, but there are a few frameworks you should know. One is the NIST Cybersecurity Framework the CSF.
Speaker 1: We talked about miter ATT and CK for understanding attack or tactics. What's NIST CSF.
Speaker 3: About is a set of guidelines best practices for managing cybersecurity risk. It's not just about threat hunting, but it does recommend things like identifying threats, detecting events, responding to incidents.
Speaker 1: So it's a broader framework for a good cybersecurity program, and threat hunting is part of that exactly.
Speaker 3: It's widely recognized and used, so it's good to align with it, even if it's not required. Then there are industry specific regulations like HIPPA for healthcare, PCIDSS for payment cards, GDPR for data protection in Europe, So if.
Speaker 1: You're in a regulated industry, you need to know these rules and make sure your threat hunting program follows them absolutely.
Speaker 3: And the cloud adds new complexities to compliance. You need to understand the shared responsibility model. The cloud provider secures the cloud itself, but you're responsible for securing what's in the cloud, so you need to configure your cloud environments correctly. Put in the right security controls and monitor for threats.
Speaker 1: What's a shared responsibility. But ultimately, you're responsible for your data in the.
Speaker 3: Cloud right and threat hunting can help you show that that you're taking steps to protect your data and meet your compliance obligations.
Speaker 1: It sounds like threat hunting. It's really important for any organization's cloud security, especially when you're dealing with multiple clouds and all these evolving threats and regulations.
Speaker 3: I completely agree. It's not just something extra, it's becoming essential. If you want to particut your data and your reputation, you have.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 1: We've covered so much in this deep dive. We started with the basics of threat hunting, then we explored AI and quantum computing. It's been a fascinating journey. But before we wrap up, let's bring it back to our listener. What are some things they can do right now to improve their organization's threat hunting capabilities.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, and you don't need a huge budget or a team of experts to get started. The first step is to just assess your current security. What tools are you using, what data are you collecting, what processes do you have from monitoring your systems?
Speaker 1: So take inventory of your defenses, figure out where you're vulnerable exactly.
Speaker 3: Once you understand your strengths and weaknesses, you can start developing a threat hunting strategy, and remember you don't have to do everything at once. Start by focusing on the most common attacks, fishing and ransomware. Those are the easiest ways in for attackers, so they're a good place to start.
Speaker 1: And we talked about mitre ATT and CK. Can that help with understanding those attacks and developing detection rules.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's like a playbook for attackers. It shows you their most common moves. You can use that to build your defenses and hunt for those tactics in your environment.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned threat intelligence a few times. Where can people go to stay updated on the latest threats and techniques.
Speaker 3: There's so many great resources out there, some are free, some are paid. Follow security researchers and organizations on social media, Subscribe to blogs and newsletters, go to industry conferences and webinars.
Speaker 1: So knowledge is power. The more you know, the better you can defend.
Speaker 3: Yourself exactly, and don't be afraid to try to and things. There's no one right way to do threat hunting, so find what works best. For you, and if you're feeling overwhelmed, there are managed security service providers they can help.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. They can provide the expertise and support that many organizations need, especially in the complex world of multi cloud security.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: They can help you navigate the challenges, implement the right tools, and build a thread hunting program that fits your needs.
Speaker 1: So, for anyone who's feeling intimidated by threat hunting, what's the one thing you want them to remember?
Speaker 2: Be proactive.
Speaker 3: Don't wait for the attackers to come to you, go out there and find them. Threat hunting is an ongoing process. It never stops. It's about constantly learning, adapting, staying ahead of the bad guys.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to put it. Threat hunting is a journey, not a destination, and it's a journey every organization needs to take if they want to stay safe.
Speaker 3: Well said, and remember you're not alone. There are resources, tools, experts out there to help you every step.
Speaker 2: Of the way.
Speaker 1: This has been an amazing deep dive into threat hunting in the cloud. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us and our listener.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me and to our listener, thank you for joining us. We hope you learned a lot and that you'll be able to use this information to improve your organization's security. Remember, stay vigilant, stay informed, and stay ahead of the game. This concludes your deep dive into threat hunting in the Cloud. We hope you enjoyed the episode and found it helpful.