Speaker 1: Good morning Kentucky. Aah, welcome in. It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News with Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas a Tuesday, August the twelfth, and we've got the full team here once again, myself, Nick Coffee Scuff, It's Gerald, John Alden and of course John Shannon and I think fellas this was the closest I've pushed it as far as arrival time. Were you worried about me, I would have been worried.
Speaker 2: I gave you a call.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right. Which it was five o'clock on the dot when I pulled in and I hadn't heard from you guys, and I thought, okay, they trust me. And then by the time I made my way in, I got the phone call. Because yeah, that was pushing it close. And good thing is with this you can usually prepare night before and there's not a ton that you need you're going to be waking up to, right, So I did a lot of that. Today's first day of school for both kids, so I set up some things in the house to kind of I'm not gonna be able to be there with them to start school. And it's my son's first day of kindergarten. So I just set some stuff up to kind of you know, if they remember the whole process of getting up, starting the day, going to school for the first time, there'll be something maybe they remember of that experience that ties to me despite me not being there. That makes sense, that's a great point.
Speaker 3: In fact, I texted my daughter this morning because I'm on the flip side of that now it's her first day of school.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's a teacher, and so I tended same with John's wife exactly.
Speaker 3: So I'm right along the same mindset you are. A texted my daughter, so she'll get it when she wakes up. I just tell her, you know, congratulations, we're prior to you. You're right where you need to be, that kind of thing. And it's a big day for folks.
Speaker 1: Do you all remember the first day of school when you were starting rather it be kindergarten, first grade? I mean, oh yeah, I feel like I do, But I don't know. There's a lot of memories I have that I start to as I get older, wondered do I really remember that or if I created a memory based off of things I've been told for so many years that's valid.
Speaker 3: I think the thing that sticks out to me is one the smell of the new pencil case, because we always had those highlight texts Rubbert pencil cases.
Speaker 1: The smell of your lunchbox to right, smells for some reasons stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we had we had those metal lunch boxes, and it would always smell obnoxiously some sort of mixture of peanut butter and jelly, sandwich and banana by the time you got to lunch. And I mean, it's just those little things that come back and the rubber pencil grips that everybody.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, I didn't really think of this until you mentioned a smell. I remember at my elementary school because schools starting it the school is as clean as it's ever going to be on the first day. And I remember the smell of the bathrooms always had just a distinct and strong smell of like some kind of a cleaner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just weird.
Speaker 1: How you you you remember those those little things. I think for me, what stand and this might have been, this might have been, this might have been first grade, not kindergarten. But I do remember being scared to death to know at the time, all right, Mom's leaving me here. Yeah, and I'm with a lot of people that I don't really know. I was really shock hit any me. Yeah, and I just it was sort of a helplessness feeling, right, John, I mean you were just help.
Speaker 2: I think I fired my first day of kindergarten, if I remember right.
Speaker 1: I think I was more so scared to cry to where I was just you know, I think you know, I was sitting Indian style, you know, lex crossed them and just kind of like, you know, looking around, like, oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm all alone by myself, my mama has left me. And then I don't remember what it was, but something distracted me, and then I was kind of good to go. But my son he starts to get in kindergarten today, and I don't know, I know for sure, I wasn't as excited as he is. I mean, he's he would even go to sleep last night. You think you think today was Christmas? With this guy? I love it. And he'll learn soon that, you know, I got to go every day. Something I gotta do every single day, and then he'll probably get tired of it. But he's excited and always.
Speaker 3: Was that honeymoon phase. I think back to school, they were just excited and then all of a sudden, about second third week, you're like.
Speaker 1: Okay, this And I think if I try, and I do this often, I try to find things that I was able to benefit from without knowing that I benefited at the time, and now to know that that's not a thing anymore makes me appreciate it. Whenever I was really young, of course, but even whenever I was in middle school to early high school, we didn't have the digital platforms to keep up with people. I was excited to see people I hadn't seen all summer. And now that's just really hard to imagine you don't see any of your classmates. I mean, maybe it is just depending upon your lifestyle and what you do, but I remember this, and I think it's I mean, I think it's still this way today with teachers. That I know that even teachers get sort of that honeymoon phase when they get back to school. They're getting their classroom ready, they're they're getting prepped to kind of see what students they have, and that is a reminder that that at the end of the day, and it's pretty obvious this day and age. The people who get into education, it's part of its labor of love. They do, they get something out of what they do. And man, as I've said many times, we need more people to do that. So shout out to your daughter and of course John's wife, because again we need folks that want to dedicate themselves to having a career that really matters. And man, it's never mattered more than now, it seems.
Speaker 3: Amen, brother, Amen, And that's they do it because my are struggling all the time. She's either asking us for money or helping out when she has to, only when she has to. But I see the struggles and the struggles are real for teachers, that's fact.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. So happy back to school day. If you're in Bullet County, that's where that's where my family is, also where John's wife is teaching. And of course I know JCPS is early in so the early stage of school coming back is still in play, and hopefully it's going smooth for everybody. All Right, it is five eleven here at Kentucky and His Morning News Coffee and company right here on news radio eight forty WHS. Let's get an update on traffic and weather. Right here, right now again on News Radio eight forty whas it is five point sixteen here at Kentucky ed his morning news with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, the company man John All on the alongside, And we've had some big news that I think was in the works for a few years now, and that is the big announcement yesterday with the electric vehicles. That's a two billion dollar bet on Louisville's electric vehicle future that Ford has made. And Ford, of course has been a big lawyer in this city for quite some time. I've mentioned this before, but growing up in the Bullett County area, there were a lot of kids I grew up with that their families moved to Louisville at some point or in the Louisville area. And of course at the time I was growing up, there were a lot of people moving to that area and they were moving here, relocating sometimes from far away because their parents, sometimes both or maybe just one got a job at Ford. So Ford has been good to Louisville over the years, There's no doubt about that. And this is take away and again the big reason it's a story here locally is because of the obvious impact it's going to have on this city, especially when it comes to jobs. But this is big for Ford in general, just because it's what they're calling their biggest change since the Model T and they're going to be introducing a universal electric vehicle system and platform that'll be right here in Louisville. It's a mid size, self sustaining electric pickup and it'll be rolling out there in twenty twenty seven. So this to me just still seems I don't know. To me, it still seems not like and I wouldn't. I'm not the person who would know if we should be, you know, trusting the future here with with electric vehicles. I mean, if you have confidence, I get it. If you have skepticism, I get it. I'm just saying to me, it just the thought of buying a vehicle, rather it be a brand new vehicle or a used vehicle. I just electric vehicle just does not come to mind for me. And I don't know if I'm in the minority or I think I am, But clearly, over the years, electric vehicles become more and more popular, But to see four deciding to roll one out, it just tells us that this is the future, so designed for speed and affordability and parts parts are reduced by twenty percent, assembly up to forty percent faster than what they've typically done over the years, and really just a huge cost cod for buyers, as these new vehicles will start at thirty thousand dollars, so again it's a two billion dollar investment and it's going to secure twenty two hundred full time jobs. So certainly a big deal here for this city. John, are you interested in electric vehicles? You've trusted that old, trustworthy Toyota City Camra, right, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Only a couple of years away from being classic, which means I wanted to pay taxes on it anymore?
Speaker 1: Is it really?
Speaker 2: That's right? Yeah, once it's twenty five years old, isn't that wild?
Speaker 1: It's awesome and it's so you because you're such an old soul. Right.
Speaker 2: I nearly got rid of it over the summer too, but in order to try to save some money now with the new baby, I was like, you know what this thing's doing, fine, we can get a few more years out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you get to a certain point in the life of the of that car to where you want to see how long it can go, right, Yeah, I mean I haven't had that happen just yet. In fact, I did with some vehicle that I have now is paid off, and that alone makes me content and just not doing anything until I have to. However, you know, these kind of decisions oftentimes are made by my wife more so than me as far as what we do when it comes to vehicles. But yeah, that camera And by the way, I don't know a ton about cars. I'm not a big car guy. But what year is that?
Speaker 2: Two thousand and two?
Speaker 1: I would never believe that to me.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: If it's just that body style of a Toyota Camry.
Speaker 2: Well, there's so many of them still out on the roads of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's because just I guess the longevity of those of those vehicles. But uh yeah, I mean you got to keep it now. I mean, I want to see you with that classic uh as the license play right where? Because that visual would really throw me off. And I'll tell you what it would make me feel.
Speaker 2: Damn old if the longest person one of those things.
Speaker 1: Absolutely like that could be like a like that could be like a national story now was it your first car or sex second car? So what I thought, what was your first car?
Speaker 2: In a Suzu Rodeo that they nearly blew up on me?
Speaker 1: Those are those? Are? You don't see many of those around?
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So again, a big news yesterday here in Louisville, and it led to Andy Basher's showing up and of course talking about how big it is for this city and of course the state Pat Kelsey was on hand there and talked about how big big the news is for the city of Louisville. Good to see him out and shaking hands and just and talking with a lot of Louisville fans that of course work it for it. And speaking of Andy b. Sheheer yesterday Terry Miners had a good conversation with a guest that will play some of that sound because when it comes to the issue we have here with violence in Louisville that involves whether it be victim or perpetrator, being a child, the juvenile, there's something that clearly needs someone's got to give and their discussion. I kind of want to pick up where they left off yesterday, so we'll do that as we roll along here. It is Kentucky and this morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, mister Shannon. It is Kentucky Morning News with Coffee and Company here on news Radio eight forty whas, Nick, Coffee with you. And yesterday a big, big topic of conversation not only on this show, but I'm sure throughout the day here at news Radio eight forty whas was the situation from Friday where a man who was sentenced to fourteen years in prison after again proving he's consistent he's a violent criminal, he was let out on shot probation and continue to be a violent criminal. We don't need to get into the details. I think everybody knows just about the horrific situation as armand Langford was. Home invasion and kidnapping, stabbing, bank robbery. Quite the day for him, and of course it's left a family I'm sure with an experience that they'll never get over or I should say they'll never forget. That's for certain. As far as getting over it, I hope that they do. But just an awful thing, and for me is what I hit on a lot was just it was avoidable. This was someone that didn't need to be available to do the kind of crimes. He should have been in prison where he was sentenced to fourteen years. So yesterday Terry Miners had a guest on and I thought, for the most part that Anthony Pageantini was was pretty spot on when it comes to just the issue with with juvenile crime. And we'll get into a little bit of it later on because I've got some sound I want to share with you guys. But there needs to be a juvenile detention center, and it needs to be I mean that to me, that that is the best option as far as just if these if these children are going to continue to be in the streets and committing violent crime, living a lifestyle that some of them are living, including when you have the first day of school last Thursday, a kid shows up and fires off a bunch of shots. I mean these that that's just that that's happening. And clearly there are many reasons as to why this is happening, because, as I think a lot of people agree, it starts at home. I mean these whoever's respond actually those who are supposed to be responsible for these children clearly are not and they're not doing their part. And even if you're a great parent and you can't control your kid who's a violent criminal that is wrecking havoc on the city, they need to be in jail despite being children, if they can't be controlled by parents or parents are non existent and they are somehow ending up I guess, kind of under the wing of gang members and being you know, given a purpose by doing some work and you know, living that lifestyle. And I mean it's like these gangs are probably getting some free labor from these kids who nobody else is watching over, and yet they're they're falling in line and wanting to be like gang members. Maybe they already are gang members. I don't know. But if nobody can control them and and they just keep ending up out in the streets, making Louisville a more violent city, they need to be in jail or the city will continue to get worse when it comes to violent crime. I mean, so again, I'll let you hear it from from himself, because again I thought Pageantini was pretty spot on as far as the state Basher specifically is who he called out and saying that they got to stop dragging their feet essentially on this because it's needed, And it's true, I know you don't like the idea. Nobody likes the idea of a child being incarcerated, But what is the other option if in fact nobody is I mean, it makes no sense to just do what we're doing right now, right, And it does sound like the city itself is all for this. It just you know, comes down to the need. They need approval from the state, or the state has to initiate the process in some way. So I'll let you hear some of that couple of different clips from that interview that Terry Miners had yesterday afternoon. All right, So something else I want to get into here before too long. We got Roy and' neil coming your way on the other side, so stick around for that. But I did some digging yesterday. I was just fascinated to learn that AOL dial up Internet still existed, because yesterday, I guess, was the last day of it. You could have told me it ended ten years ago and I would have believed you. But it was interesting to me to see who was still using it and why. And we'll get to that later on. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with coffee and company here on News Radio eight forty whas it is Kentucky and it's morning news here on a Tuesday morning, News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. We now bring in Rory O'Neil of NBC News. Rory tell us how the state of Kentucky stacks up when it comes to our latest study that tells us which states here in the United States are the best to live in. Shoot hit hit us with the news. I'm gonna assume I'm gonna I'm gonna assume the worst, hope for the best.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not the worst, but clearly not the best either. According to this wallet hub survey, they rank Kentucky thirty seventh out of the fifty states. Again, this is a survey that took takes a look at affordability, the economy, education, healthcare access, quality of life, and safety as well. So that's they put it together and that's where Kentucky came in. Now, Kentucky didn't come in number ten on the list specifically in affordability, but then forty ninth, near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the economy of the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the affordability I think is due to things that may be contributing to the state being at thirty seven out of the fifty. Who are some of the best and some of the worst.
Speaker 4: Some of the top three, it's a mix. The number three on the list is New Jersey, which scored very well when it came to public safety and the quality of life there. Idaho was number two. The economy rank was although we up to number seven on their list and cutting into number one my Casey casem impersonation. Go google who that is kids the states of Massachusetts, which are ranked number one in education and healthcare, at number nine in their economy, but number forty four affordability.
Speaker 1: Did you know that Casey Kaseum did, in fact have I don't know if he lived here, but he had he had some some roots in Kentucky. I think he had property here at some point. So nice you mentioned Casey Caseum. I'm gonna I'm gonna mention Kentucky having it not a claim to him, but he liked us enough to where he at least you know, was here at some point. But when it comes to this, the states that are that are the worst. I mean, what from the study is there's a specific part of their criteria that clearly can just crush you and and make it much more difficult for you to not be towards the bottom.
Speaker 4: Well, when they take the yeah they have, everything is all weighted by different things. So when they look at the economy, for instance, that's twenty points of the score. Affordability is twenty points of the score. Quality of life is twenty points. But then when you look into quality of life, they look at average hours work, So the average commute time, miles of trails for bicycles and walking, is it a bike friendly state, quality of roads, performing arts centers, museums per capita, access to beaches, which would be tough for number two Idaho, But there you go. So they put that fall together and compile all those different data points. States at the bottom of the barrel and ones you might suspect. Number forty six is Alaska, number forty seven, Mississippi forty eight, Arkansas, forty nine, Louisiana and dead last in the survey at number fifty. You might not expect it, but little Green Men seem to like it.
Speaker 1: New Mexico interesting. Would not have guessed that, but good to know, all right. So when it comes to food stamps, they're now it's now called SNAP and this program is designed to provide nutritious food to those who simply can't afford to get it. But there's also some things that don't necessarily fall in line with being considered nutritious or healthy. Are we going to see some of these items banned as far as being able to use SNAP benefits to purchase items that just clearly there's no real health benefit, right, So more and.
Speaker 4: More states are getting waivers to have exclusions on what you can buy with your food SAMs through the SNAP program. Things like soda, energy drinks, candy, prepared desserts is something else that will be banned in some states, and some of the states are doing different things. Some just have soda and candy, Others say energy drinks and prepared desserts. Others have rule about hot soups and rotisserie chickens, whether not they're good or bad. This is an effort, they say, to improve health outcomes. It's part of that Maham movement. But there really is any hard data to show that this is going to have an effect, so we don't really know. I think this is just wishful thinking. What we're seeing is a lot of the states so far are Republican states, with one exception of Colorado.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Rory, you are the man whos always we appreciate your time. Enjoy the rest of your day, and we'll talk tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nick, talk to you then.
Speaker 1: All right. That's Ory O'Neil the NBC News always appreciate his time. And I did a little digging. I knew there's no way. I just randomly thought that Casey Kaseum had roots in Kentucky, and it turns out he had a farm in Kentucky raising both crops and cattle that was in central Kentucky. Why I have that absolutely useless piece of information installed in my brain, I don't know, But now you know. All right, we've got an update on Travick and weather coming your way right here, right now. Also, we've got another sports update coming from Scott Fitzgerald on There's Radio eight forty whas