Speaker 1: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started out number two here on a Monday. Are hopefully it's our first normal week in a long time. When I say normal week, I mean a regular routine where we And again it sounds weird complaining about having time to you know, or getting a day off unexpectedly, like if you get a snow day if you're a kid, or maybe you used a PTO day or something because you didn't have anybody. What I mean, I just like structure. I need it. I need to be, you know, in rhythm and routine. And it's been off lately with the holidays and with that week of weather we had last week. So hopefully you know that snow stays away for a while, because it impacted us more so than I was expecting. All and all, it wasn't terrible. I guess it could have been a lot worse. I know some people lost power. I never lost electricity or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But did get your car stuck though?
Speaker 2: I did, Yeah, but it wasn't for long. And then I guess I did have to delay my trip, which made it for a long drive Saturday morning just to get there by noon, and so yeah, I did. It impacted me, but you know, again, it could be it could be a lot worse.
Speaker 3: So U And at least the snow was kind of melting right now.
Speaker 2: It's still there, but well so it melted enough to where roads should be fine in most places unless you're in like shade. But it got really cold again today, Like yesterday it was. It was a buff freezing and it kind of felt like tropical outside to me. We went to dinner and I usually i'm hoodie and jacket because of how cold it's been lately, and I decided just to go hoodie and I was walking into the restaurant, I'm like, you know what, man, it feels great out of here. And it was still like thirty eight degrees of so, you know, not ideal for that to feel like it's warm, but nonetheless, it's been it's been cold lately. So but today, I mean it's freezing again. Like I don't know what the temperature is right now. But when I was getting in the car to head this way, I was reminded, okay, it's still January. And we had a brief day where it got above freezing, but man, it's really cold. So like everything in my driveway that had not completely melted yet is now freezing again, which you know, overall, it's not going to create any issues for us. But the good thing is I don't think we have any more snow coming for a while, and we will get more, We will get more days where it's gonna be above freezing. But what it comes down to now, as far as like all these mounds of snow that are all over the area and parking lots, all that kind of stuff, for those to like completely go away, it's gonna take a lot of time because it doesn't just get above freezing and all of that melts instantly. And right now it looks like even though we're gonna have some days where it's closer to forty than thirty, you got to keep in mind how long during the day does it get to that temperature. Like I think what happened on Sunday yesterday was it got warm enough for the first time in a long time to where like roads that are being driven over that kind of stuff like it melted, but the other stuff it froze right back up. And that's that's what happens. It's been a long time since we had this amount of winter weather and this long stretch of temperatures that were just you know that cold.
Speaker 3: My road still sucks, is it really? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I don't know why anybody hasn't came through there with the snow clouds?
Speaker 2: So is it because people park on the street that they don't have the ability to like just run the I mean, like because I mean maybe, but like, so where were they going to push the snow to if everybody's cars are the right and left?
Speaker 3: That's true. I didn't think about it that well.
Speaker 2: Like I don't think they can do anything to Europe because that's that's that was my weir, that was my worry. I mean, there's not really convenient place to park on the street. On my street. You can, but like you know, it's not a thing people don't do that. They park in driveways, and a lot of the driveways are kind of tricky just because of the neighborhood. So I was worried that they wouldn't come down and treat my street if I couldn't get my vehicle up, because I'd be the only guy on our street that had my car out there. So if that was the case, they probably wouldn't even try to come down because they could damage your vehicle or they could, you know, pile up the snow. I mean, if you've got cars that are like, so, do you all have driveways?
Speaker 3: It's just no, it's just street parking.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. Yeah, so I don't know how they would treat those streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because come down, some salt down or something that would be nice.
Speaker 2: Salt salt could go uh you know, su it could go a long way. But I feel like with what we got, if they're not actually plowing the roads, then you're gonna's I mean that that may have answered our question as to why your street is in the situation that it's in, because there's not really all that they can do.
Speaker 4: Because usually when they do the streets sweeping, like once every month, everybody's got to get off, go find another place to park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so how does that work? Do you all get like notices from the.
Speaker 4: Light there, like on the light poles and stuff like, and it will say no parking on this street on this day from this time and then then.
Speaker 3: If you do, they tell you right, and they'll they'll give you a ticket.
Speaker 4: I've noticed I've actually ignored the last couple of times that they've done that, and I haven't gotten any ticket or anything. And I've watched them go by and they just kind of go over my car.
Speaker 2: So they drive okay, So they've got like a little like they can get it done if there's just a couple of cars. But if it gets to the point where like it's there's there, it's what it usually looks like, then they wouldn't be able to do it.
Speaker 3: That makes it I know that that makes it be a ticket.
Speaker 2: Though what kind of tick will be talking about?
Speaker 3: You know what it caught?
Speaker 2: Like a hundred bucks?
Speaker 4: Like probably something like that. It hasn't happened to me, I thank god, but I would probably say something small maybe.
Speaker 2: So when you when you when you ignore it and you don't end up getting a ticket, I mean it probably feels like you know you won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just play with fire.
Speaker 2: But do you not do it now because you feel like you can get away with it or do you not? Any like? Where do people go?
Speaker 4: Well, just sometimes it's just it honestly just depends on if I'm paying attention or not. Like if I on a time where I'm driving down the street and I see my car or my streets usually packed with cars. If I see that they're not there, then I'll have to look towards a light pole and see, oh, okay, they got one of those signs up, and then I'll go find somewhere else to do.
Speaker 2: So when you say fund some most to park, is it like just a different street, Yeah, just.
Speaker 4: A different street, like on the end, because they're they're not going to do every you know, they're not going to do every street. Then whenever they go do the other street, then I'll know that because there's nowhere to park on my street because everyone's already tried to get DIBs. And there's an alley right by my house that leads to more houses that's not considered a street, I guess, and I kind of park right there sometimes and it's still easy to get right to my house that's right in front, but it just veers off into an alleyway rather than the actual street that I'm on, still in front of my house, but it's on the alley part of it, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just have never I've never I've never lived anywhere where there was I mean, I guess I lived in an apartment for a little while that was like we shared a parking lot, but like it, you know. It one of the things that I didn't realize how convenient and awesome it is until I experienced it. I and grew up with a garage where we parked our car in the garage we did end up getting. We actually had a garage added to the home when I was a little bit older, and my mother parked in there, but I never parked my car in there. And then whenever I was living in in the apartment and in our first house, we didn't have a garage. So I just never really realized how awesome it can be you have a garage, begin not just because of like the space in your home, but like just your car is going to be like it's a game changer. Like I whenever I didn't have the ability to park in my garage because the door was broke, or because the last time around whenever we it's now, I couldn't get up the driveway for two days. So it's one of those things that when you asked me, like, what's important, does it? Like, I never had it before, so I didn't know how great it was, how convenient it was. And then once we moved to our second house, we had a garage, and I remember initially thinking like, it's no big deal, like it be kind of a tight squeeze. You can just park in the garage. I don't care. And then we found a way to make both vehicles fit, and I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, whenever I leave in the summertime and I'm coming from the garage, obviously it's still hot, but nowhere near as hot as it would be in my car if I was if it was bacon in the sun. And the same thing with wintertime, like even if it's not snowing, if my car is in the very cold garage and it's covered, I mean it's gonna be It's gonna get warm a lot quicker that way than it would if it was just sitting outside. So I kind of feel like, now when I if I ever do move again, which God I hope I don't, I would I would have told you before this house. I don't really know if I would care to have a garage or not. Now I need to have one again, not because I need room for my tools. I don't have any tools or anything like that. It's just because being able to keep the vehicle indoors essentially, it's also proof basically. Yeah, and again it's really just what you know, Like for you, like, I'm sure you've probably lived there long enough to where it's not like, you know, you just get used to whatever the situation is, right, And I would not be used to I mean, I guess i'd if I had to get used to it, then I'd get used to it.
Speaker 4: But where my grandparents or where my parents live and where I used to live, all the all the garages are like in the back of the house, so they're like, uh, you got to go down that alley to get the garage. Yeah, it's pretty cool, different, I feel like, but obviously they don't snowplow those, Like my dad was telling me how he's had a rough time getting out just because the whole alley has been you know, icy and snowy, and you obviously can't get snowplows that way. Yeah, it had It's had to been a neighborhood effort for everyone to go out there and do that, which could be a little inconvenient in that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, especially if others aren't doing their park to help out. I think when you share parking on a street, there's there's got to and I'm sure there there are some studies that that could either confirm or deny this. But when it comes to neighborhood conflict parking, I mean, if you don't have your own driveway and you just share whatever's available on the street and it's a free for all, first come, first serve, there's no assigned spots, there's there's so much more opportunity for neighborhood conflict, right, Yeah, Like, I'm sure there are some that don't don't care that they that you've been you've lived there twenty years and you have technically just decided to make a certain spot yours yea, and everybody else has been fine with it. But then you move in and you don't care. You're just going to take that spot if it's open, Like that could be because people develop a sense of entitlement to it, And I guess if it's just been that way for twenty years, then I guess I understand how you could get the feeling of entitlement when it comes to a spot on the street. But like, if there's nothing you can do about it. You don't actually own it. If somebody parks there because they want to park there, they can.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, well this last week when it was snowing. And I've seen this like on the blake when you ask me about the uh, like the community pages that you're on on Facebook and stuff like that, or the next door app, and I even seen it on my on my street. But like there's obviously no assign park and it's all public street. You know, it's kind of like an unwritten I wouldn't even say unwritten thing. It's just kind of first come, first serve if you get there. But I know there were people that were out there plowing their spots and like shoveling out their spots, and just because they did it, they set like a cone out there or a box that they've written on it. We shoveled this spot, this is ours. So when they leave, they're they're basically claiming that spot. And I'm kind of fifty to fifty on like, yeah, dude, no.
Speaker 2: That's a great. I love this. I love this because I mean I'm gonna sound like an a hole here, but you can shovel the whole street. People can park wherever they want. That's true, Like that's I mean, I understand the like the principle here like the like, but you really don't have a You don't have any right to claim that because you shoveled it. That means that you that you are the only you can park there because you.
Speaker 3: Worked for it.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, if I mean, I don't know what I would do, because I wouldn't put a car. I mean I would, I wouldn't in a way. I fear conflicts so much that I think by even like acknowledging that you because anybody who sees that you you shoveled off a certain spot that you want for you because you worked for it. Yeah, I don't think anybody would think that you're wrong for that. But it's also like an invitation for somebody to to to dare you, Like, hey, all right, I don't care, I'll come park there. You got to run over your b because because they know you've got nothing to do, You've got no like clan like you can't call the cops.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, if the spot's open and it's because you shoveled it, but your car's not there and you left, and somebody sees a cone that they know is not supposed to be there. I mean, technically, if you do that and you put a cone there, you're in the wrong because you're not supposed to put it. It would be I wouldn't do well in that situation. But totally that's been.
Speaker 4: A funny talking point on those apps and community message boards and stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, some people just like to get a rise out of folks, sure, and I could totally see that being the outcome there to where maybe they just I mean, I would be now, I just want to be a fly on the wall on that street and you area, because I would just want to know, is there's somebody out there that is willing to be that big of an a hole that knows that you know what they they worked for the spot, they wanted it, but they actually don't have any right to claim it, so I'm going to go steal it. I shouldn't want somebody to do that to someone, but I kind of do because I just you know, it's like you know, train correct, Like if there's if there's conflict, there's neighborhood drama. If you hear a fight or commotion going on down the hall and you're in when you're in school, like, it's kind of natural instincts to just kind of perk up and want to see.
Speaker 3: What's going on out what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so has has has there been any like real issues with Not anybody on your street.
Speaker 4: Not that I haven't, not that I haven't seen. No one on my street has done that. But the street right next to me. As I was coming home sometime last week, I saw that there were two carved out spots. Obviously, the whole road is full of ice and snow, but there were two perfectly carved out spots, and they had like the long cones that stand up that have like the reflectors on them, not yet your basic triangle. One's the one with the base and they're kind of long, and I.
Speaker 2: I just remember the base was kind of long.
Speaker 3: The base is nice and out the base, you know.
Speaker 4: But I saw that, and that also reflected me earlier in the week where I saw in one of the Facebook apps to where someone had placed like an empty cardboard box out that out there and they had written on it. We spent all day shoveling this this is our spot until we get back here, or something like that.
Speaker 2: But it's but it's not. And that's like, and that's get it. I guess the the I guess it makes me a jerk. I wouldn't do it one because I don't have the stones to do it. I fear, I fear I wouldn't do it. And I'm not somebody looking for any kind of I don't like to communicate with anybody if I don't have to know you, So I would avoid any situation where we got to talk about whose spot is what, like I don't, I'll avoid it. But there is someone that could quite literally see that and just say, okay, cool.
Speaker 3: I just motivate something to do it more hard work.
Speaker 2: And then they just go and take your spot and your heart and know that no matter what you say, you actually that's not your spot. You don't own it. You cleared it off and you left it open, and I took it like that, And that would be the ultimate al move. But technically it would just be a moral thing as far as who's in the row, that's what it comes down, and you would be acknowledging that you have no morals, which is probably not something that people you know. I mean, I wouldn't, I would hope that you wouldn't want to be that way. Some people maybe are that way and don't realize it. But there's a show on Investigation Discovery if you ever want to watch a true crime show about this kind of stuff. It's called fear Thy Neighbor. Have you ever heard of it? Austin, Oh, it sounds good. They've got let me see here. This show has been on for over ten years and there are gosh, there are at least they just finished up their eleventh season, okay, and each each season has like twenty episodes and it's in its stories. It's a true crime show that each episode is a different version of neighborhood issues that turn to crime and sometimes murder. And like that show, along with Judge Judy like, it's made me realize that my neighbors have been phenomenal. And some of them I've never even talked to. I've never even met them. But the fact that they don't try, you know, they don't inconvenience me, and they let you know, and they just kind of stay out of my way, out stadt of theirs. That's a good neighbor. Because you have a bad neighbor and it becomes real contentious where you're just out there looking to make each other's lives hell. And by the way that exists, that happens, hopefully not to the level of like what ends up on this show I'm talking about, but enough of it's happened to where they can do eleven seasons of twenty episodes a piece that's correct where neighbors get into it and somebody either gets stabbed or shot or killed. I mean, it's wild.
Speaker 3: I might have to watch that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to check it out because it's it'll make you probably appreciate your neighbors in real life. I mean more than anything. It's made me because I have had I haven't had any bad neighbors, but I've had a neighbor where we used to live that was just kind of kind of a pain in my ass and annoyed me, and I at times had to tell myself, like I need to just tell this guy to like me alone, like we don't need to be friends, Like you're you know, quit quit the passive aggressive neighborly stuff. I know you, I know what you're doing. Like I wanted to go there with him a couple of times, but I'm like, you know what he's bored. He might just want to make my life a living hell. So I'm just gonna keep my sometimes my mister man exactly story of my life. Quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. About halfway through here on a Monday afternoon, let's go to the text line five y two six five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You can learn more open your account today at LNFCU dot com. All right, so this textas Nick, have you gone back and looked at all the candidates for the Louisville job to see wait a second, here we go to see how badly they are doing and how lucky we are to have Pat Kelcey. I have not. I've not gone back. I mean, I'll just look at it because everybody I think had had different opinions on the search this time around. And what I mean by that is there was a level of everybody knowing that no matter who it is, we're going to find a way to embrace it because we know it's not going to be as bad as we had it with with you know who. So with that, you know, and I'm trying to go. I mean, I remember the search was weird because before the job was open, the search was kind of going on with fans and we knew Kenny was going to be replaced at some point. So I mean, I'm trying to go. I'm trying to figure out the window of time to wear. It really ramped up and we were talking about coaches to where we knew one of these five names that is being discussed is gonna be one of these five guys is going to be the next level coach. I mean, I think get turned to that once we realized Dusty dust he may taking the Michigan job. When Louisville, I guess expected him to take the job.
Speaker 3: And he didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't have it, he didn't want it. You know, He's doing really well in Michigan, and we talked about that last week. He's somebody that I think is a good coach. I didn't think his resume was as impressive as others thought it was. But he's a good coach, and he's now leading a program with better resources than FAU and he's doing well right now. Wasn't a fit. He knew it, and good for him for knowing it. And then after that, I guess, Josh Shurtz and I have no clue how good Saint Louis is doing or not doing, to be honest with you, so I haven't kept up to answer your question. The only get so the two coaches that that I talked about quite a bit during the search that I was was high on right guys that if I was making the decision and I could have pulled the trigger, I would have offered the job to Eric Musselman or Jerome Tang, and I would have hired somebody that I you know, I would both those guys I think are good coaches. Drum Tang was a bigger risk, and he's certainly not having a good year at all. And I was really high on Tang. But Muscleman, I just feel like it was I mean, when you know you just got to start winning games. I mean, I think he was proven to be a guy that will win. Now, maybe he's a little difficult to work with, maybe he doesn't have maybe he's not I mean, look, Pat Kelsey checks a box that I think we all knew was important to an extent. But man, he's checking it in a way that nobody can and he is excelling. And everything that you know comes within that box you're checking fan engagement, energy, enthusiasm, humble, likability. I mean, you gotta win basketball games. You gotta be a good coach. We know that. But there's things you can do that can either make you more more likable to your fan base or maybe they, you know, want to wait and see if you can win. People are going to believe that you will get it done if they like you now, eventually they'll stop because the proof will be there. But when Pat Kelsey got the job, none of us we're gonna be able to I mean, we still technically don't have a clue how things are going to play out from now until you know, I don't know the end of first three years, whatever, We don't know. Nobody can predict the future. But even before he coached the game this year, he was doing a lot of things that got people believeing in him, and that's what you want in Louisville. Not only I mean Louisville needed that. Fans needed to have a coach that they believe in and are excited about, and even when things aren't great, and even whenever you are reminded that you're still not what you once were as a program, if you believe in the guy and you like him and he's given you early signs that he could really succeed here, that's that's how you get back. And I think right now Louisville is in the midst of that. So Pat Kelsey, I mean, Josh hr I talked about it last week. I talked to him this weekend. I mean he he is somebody that deserves a ton of credit for looking at a component within Pat Kelsey's resume what he brings to the table and realizing not only how valuable that can be to us, but how much we need it right now. And I mean' getting a little uncomfortable because I know it just sounds like I'm just completely glazing NonStop. How phenomenal like it look. Nobody's perfect. Louis Is gonna lose some basketball games, I don't know, if they're ever going to win a national championship with Kelsey. So I know it may sound like I'm already crowning him as the best thing that's ever happened to the history of basketball, But I mean, I just am expressing genuine excitement about where Louisville basketball is right now, where I think it could go. And I'm a fan like anybody else, I'm a fan. So the other coaches that were considered for the job, only Josh could tell you who was truly considered and who wasn't. But you know, even if you had the same record, like right now, Louisville is let's see, I just had to pull up here. Louisville currently is twelve and five and five and one in the ACC. You could have Eric Musselman, maybe Mick Cronin who wasn't realistic or Dust he may you could have the same record and or maybe even like a slightly better record. I don't know. Maybe maybe those coaches wouldn't have bad luck with injury, maybe they would have built the roster differently, but it wouldn't feel the way this feels because they're not bringing this. I mean, Pat Kelsey, he's a real component to the way this has been enjoyable for fans, not just because they're winning games, but because everything that comes with it. The way these guys play, they're a reflection of him on the sideline. He's humble, he's passionate, and you can tell he loves being the coach here. He thinks this is, you know, best things ever happened to him. So it's it's it's awesome. So again, Josh Hurd, I don't think the search went great, at least from the optics of it, but none of that really matters in the grand scheme of things. And we knew that the whole time. You don't want to have a search that is looked at as wow, they can't get their guy, or wow, what happened to this program? But once if you got a guy, he comes in, he fits well and he wins, and fans are excited and they're engaged in the engagement is up within your program, and that's what you want. And that's what we have right now. And it's been it's been a lot of fun. But yes, maybe we'll talk about it later. I gotta I want to. There's some things I could share about the Jerome Tank situation. That wouldn't change anything, but I think it would be worth noting in regards to like sort of why Kansas State is so bad this year. But we don't have time for that. I don't think anybody cares about that right now, to be honest with you, all right, five two, five seven seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to jump in and give us a call. Let's go to the phone lines. We will now welcome in. Charles, Charles, what's happening, Hey?
Speaker 5: What's up near?
Speaker 2: How are we doing?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 6: I just wanted to talk to you about the fair versus foul uh situation?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: And uh, well you were talking about shoveling snow and I guess I wanted to switch that a little bit to holding spots at sports bars or okay, Uh, I go to the Roosters on Dixie. I know you go to the one on Presston a lot. So where does fair become foul? Let's say Louisvill's playing Saturday at four o'clock Saturday afternoon. I'm gonna go up a couple of hours early and hold a good bar seat for me and my girlfriend. But my girlfriend is not gonna come for say, right before tip off or kickoff? Whatever? Is it fair for me to be on to hold a bar seat for her? Where does that or how long can I hold that bar seat? And where you really see it as big games? Oh yeah, people try to come in early and hold ten spots for the whole entire family. But you know you're pissing servers off because they're not turning over tables? Is it okay if you tipped big? Where does fair versus foule? Just love to get your perspective on that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Charles. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: This is while radio is fun. This is a great, great question from Charles here. And I don't think there's a right, wrong, black white answer here. I think it's I think it comes down to I mean, really, I guess the root of it is the bartender or the server. They should they're the ones who will either allow you or not allow you to hold a seat at a bar. And I I'm just thinking about like what I would do in certain situations. So if if I walk in and it's just me and I'm going to the bar to watch the game, and there there is Charles and he's he's you know, I don't know him, and and there's a seat next to him, and I'm thinking, hey, this gentleman looks he looks like a Louisville fan. Maybe I'll go sit next to him and uh, you know, we'll watch the game together. He's the only the Louisville fan here. Let's let's you know, might as well unite with with part of cardination. And I go say, hey, you know anybody's sitting here and he says yes. Then I'm probably just gonna walk back to the walk back to the ike. I guess it's the walk. It's the walk of shame. I'm going back to the hostess table and say, hey, table for one. You know, you go to the bar because you can be by yourself and it's not really as noticeable, and I don't mind. It's funny. I guess it's just growth or you know, just maybe I don't know what what you chalk it up as I would never years ago go to someplace by myself an eat dinner, like I would never do that. And I've done that several times, and now it's they're a few.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I don't do it often, and I will oftentimes find a bar seat just because it's more convenient. But I used to never want to go eat eat by myself. In fact, when I would travel, you know, and I still do from time to time and I'm by myself. My wife like, if I tell her, Hey, I'm going to dinner, she asks, by yourself. Yeah, I wish you wouldn't have told me that. Now I'm sad. I'm like, honey, it's okay. I'm not sitting I'm in a city a thousand miles away that I don't know anyone. That's why I'm alone. I'm not. I mean, it's just I don't know. I used to I used to really think, like, man, I can't go sit by myself, even if I didn't know people, I wouldn't want to do that. And now I don't care. And again I actually sometimes prefer it. I can't. I'm on the clock working while I take my kids to dinner. My goodness. I mean, it's become it's become that. So anyways, back to the Charles's question, if you told me somebody was sitting there and I walked away, I would say, okay, whatever. But if you told me nobody's sitting here now, but my wife's coming later, So sorry, I wouldn't. That's just not my personality.
Speaker 6: It is not my.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna bite you on it. I'm not gonna make a comment. I'm probably just gonna say okay, cool and walk away because I don't think what you're doing is like crazy. But what the reason it's a great question, and you kind of alluded to this, Charles, is that what's the grace period?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, at what point do you lose the ability? What point do you lose the ability to claim somebody's on their way?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, I know there are certain restaurants that won't suit you unless the majority of your party is there, because you could take a seat for ten or I'm sorry, you could take a seat at a table that is set for ten people, and if you're there by yourself for an hour waiting on everybody else to get there, you know, I think at that point what it comes down to, are you a regular? Do the servers know that you are there for every game and that you are going to bring a big group of people and you are going to make sure that the server's taking care of to the best of your ability. Because you realize you have taken up a huge table for her or him, and it's a lot of work, so like I think, and roosters. He mentions, he goes to the one on on Dixie. I go to the one on Preston. You know it's I go there often. Don't go there for games as much as I used to, but you know, like it would be. You know, there's servers there that I know that that i've that I've met. This makes me sound like I live there and I don't really, but I kind of do. I might might look into maybe seeing if I can just start, you know, paying rent there and sure and not pay for meals, but visit.
Speaker 3: You're always time.
Speaker 2: I'm there a lot, and I love it. So we we know who's working. You usually, at any point when we go, there's at least one or two people working that we have met over the years that like they understand, we're we're gonna be you know, we're gonna tip well, and we're not gonna be a holes and we're gonna you know, we're not high maintenance. We're you know, we're easy to deal with, which I'm sure there are servers out there listening right now that know when certain people come into the restaurant or the bar that they work in. They don't want to wait on them because they know they're high maintenance. They don't tip as well. It's not as friendly that kind of stuff. So I think to answer your question, Charles, I think you just gotta I mean you gotta. You gotta try to get a feel for what you can and can't get away with. I I think if you ended up actually, let me let me back up a second here. I've been here before, and this is just getting I have. I don't think I've ever said this on the air, but it's worth mentioning now that we're having this conversation. If you meet up with people to watch a game, like let's say me and my wife are gonna go meet my buddy and his wife, and our other buddy and his wife they're gonna come, and a couple of other buddies. Like if there's like eight to ten people meeting, but it's groups of like two or three collectively coming together to sit at a big table and watch a game, you need to you need to be there on time, like, because I've been there before, where I have been the guy at a table waiting for like ever and it and it's a bad look. You're out there on an island. What do you you been sitting there for forty minutes by yourself where a table?
Speaker 3: It just keep coming by.
Speaker 2: So wait so so again, if it's a place that you're a regular at and they know you and they're happy that you're there, and they know the people are gonna be coming, then I think you just got to you got to get a feel for what is going to be I guess maybe not acceptable, but what's going to be inconvenient to others that are there or the workers that are there. Holding a seat at a bar I think is fine if it's one I really do.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, If you're just waiting for somebody, then and I'm just like, yeah, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, especially if I'm just going by myself, or even if I'm with my girlfriend and we want to go up to the bar and I see like a stool there or something, or maybe two right next to a guy and he says, I'm waiting for my girlfriend and her friend or something. And I won't to get mad at that, but I feel like trying to, like if like trying to hold out like a bar position for like six of your buddies, and they're not going to get there for another hour, then do We'll probably be faster than them.
Speaker 3: Let us just go ahead and sit here.
Speaker 2: You know who the real a holes are the people who just sit down at tables that are being cleaned off and know that there's a long wait. Like I've this isn't something I see all the time, and uh, you know, in fact, I haven't seen it in a while, but I've seen it at least five times in my You know, when it comes to going and sitting at a sports bar or restaurant waiting for a table, it's usually when you're going to a place where they're about to watch a big game and everybody's waiting and there's wait, and you're waiting to see if anybody's gonna leave. And I mean I've seen it at three different places that come to mind, where a couple of people or maybe a group of four will walk and go sit at a table that it just got cleaned off, and they'll just dare somebody that works there to tell them they can't sit there, you know what I'm saying, Because they're gonna play the card of like, oh, somebody set me here.
Speaker 1: Who uh.
Speaker 2: They walked away like they're gonna they're they're fine with it being clear on both sides that you're lying, you made it up, but they want you to I guess push the you know, it's not really forcing the issue you're you're because I mean, I've actually lost a table where we were next because somebody did that, and the staff at the restaurant didn't have the stones to like tell these people, no, you you didn't even put your name in. You just came and sat down, like we know what happened. You don't have cause. And honestly, the reason I probably don't see that anymore. And it's been a long time. I'm sure it still happens, but now that i'm I remember the last time it happened, it was many years ago. Because I think people that work in the service industry now don't have a problem by telling you you can't do that, you know what I mean, Like they will, they'll do what's right because they know they're not in the wrong. And if you end up going to their manager or their boss or whatever, and in both like even though that manager may still like baby you as the customer they're going to know deep down you were the a hole. So those are the worst people. They just take advantage of that. They don't want they know that more often than not, nobody that works at a restaurant wants to be crappy with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that. This is the kind of stuff that gets people talk and gets the phones ring and gets the text line lit up. So that's radio right, Yeah, good stuff. Stick around. We got a lot more to go right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We don't have a whole lot of time left here in the four o'clock hours, so let's use that we have wisely and get back to the phone lines. Five two five seventy nine hundred is the number if you'd like to give us a call and we'll welcome in. Daniel. Daniel, you're on Sports Talk seventy ninety. What's happening, Hey, guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just saying, if you have three or four people meeting, uh, it's a slim chance they're all going to be on time. Because I was in the military and I'm always the first guy there. Another thing I wanted to say about this subject is the thing that the staff should say is who's next. There could be three thousand people in line, but every single one of them knows who's next.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's a really really good point. I mean, I feel like I'm an a hole when I go and I ask for a couple of updates. I ask a couple of times like, hey, you know, how much longer where are we on the list? You're right, if it was there was some more transparency there that could that could go a long way.
Speaker 7: The other thing I don't like about the lines or things like that is if when I see a guy letting his wife off in front of the restaurant, he runs in he's parking the car. Oh yeah, he's responsible for her safety that evening. I mean, they should go in together.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying, Daniel. I appreciate the call when it comes to nobody, but you're right about nobody being on time. And that's why I usually I mean, and I don't know this this This is a very unexpected but kind of fun topic here, because if I get somewhere before my group gets there, like if I and that happens a lot of times actually, because if I meet my wife, or if I meet friends, or sometimes it's my wife and my kids are meeting me, but also some of our friends are coming to meet for dinner, and I get there first, I don't go in until others are there, and they criticize me, why didn't you go put her name in? Well, I don't want to be the guy that's the one person there when there's a party of seven or eight and they then sit me, and then I'm on an island, but I usually do. I guess more than anything, I just didn't want to go on by myself, but I guess when I can. When I think about it, maybe I'm the one that's actually just being considerate to the to everybody else, saying, hey, we're not all here together. I'm not going to go in there. You know what else irritates me that that really I don't think it's anybody's fault, but like it seems to happen pretty regularly to us where we get seated at any restaurant, is that when you're when there's a little bit of that, there's not like a line to get in, but there's there's people going out the door, and there's people like a line of it's not a line to where like you know, you got to wait outside, but sometimes just to get just to get through the entrance areas of these restaurants while you're waiting to be seated or maybe there is a slight weight, people just leave the door open, right because they're because they're kind of congregating around that front door, and they leave it open long enough to where if you're sitting near the door, you're freezing. And I'm not even kidding. This was at I mean, I'm not gonna say where it was, but we were eating dinner somewhere, and we had a long table that was really close to where you check where you pay when you leave, but also close to the front door. And I happen to be at the end of the table close to the door, and there was a big party coming in, and they just left the door open because they all couldn't get in at the same time because there was like ten of them, right, so they're kind of huddled around waiting to be guided to wherever they're going to go, and they left the door open longer than most people would.
Speaker 3: That's annoying.
Speaker 2: Well, August came through, and I'm not kidding you. My hot food was cold in like thirty seconds, like yeah, like because of how long the door was open. And really it was just bad luck. Like it wasn't anybody nobody intentionally did that. But where I was sitting the way the wind came in, it hit it hit my burrito, and like no doubt, it was genuinely cold now not like to where it was frozen, but you know, it was no longer hot, fresh food. And I couldn't send it back. I mean I wouldn't. I don't do that anyway, at least I try not to. But I couldn't blame it on them. I blame it on the door, you know. So that's that's the extreme case of like, man, that really sucked. But even if I don't even have my food yet and the door's open and it's twenty degrees outside, like, it gets cold pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these places, that's inconvenient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what about again? People are asking some legitimate questions that I don't have the answer to because I don't think there is a right or wrong. It's really just you know, being as courteous as possible and seeing what is going to inconvenience others, but there's really no way to know at any moment what you like. For example, this person takes a picture this somebody sent in a text message on the text line with a picture of a TV that they're looking at from their perspective. I guess maybe they sent this to other people because it was a debate. But he was watching a game, he claims, and there's somebody that was sitting closer to that TV than him but didn't have really much of a better view. But he asked for the TV to be changed. And my guy who was watching that TV who sent in says that the restaurant did it and claimed that they changed the TV because that TV was closer to the person who asked that got there later. Oh like no, now what it all comes down to it, And I'm sure you're gonna answer me as soon as I says, as soon as I asked the question, if there was no other TV for you to watch it? Like, I don't. I mean that that's that's wild, because I mean that's an easy way for the restaurant, the server or the manager to avoid conflict and say, look, sorry, you got here while this person was already watching this game on this TV, and we're not going to change it for them now because you're here. However, when they leave, if nobody's claiming that they're going to keep watching that channel, will change it for you. That probably isn't fun to do, But that's an easy thing to just say, Like, what do you want me to do? Go ahead and and change it for these people that are already here, that are, you know, eighty minutes or eighty percent of the way into their experience at the restaurant. But you know, so again, I'm going to assume that they did that knowing you still had another TV where you could see the game you wanted to see. If not, they must just not like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's bad that I get.
Speaker 7: I get.
Speaker 4: I don't even like it. And I'm a very social person. I don't even like this. Sometimes if I'm at a bar, tell them, hey, can you guys turn it on this game or something like that. Maybe at the if obviously no one's coming in, Like I go to the I go to the dog park bar by my house. It's a dog park slash bar, so I take the dog there my kid to go run around and do all that stuff. And while she's out there playing, if it's not all that packed in there and they got a bunch of TVs. Anyways, Like, if I want to watch a game or something I'm betting on, then I'll ask, hey, do you guys mind changing it to this because there's not a lot of people and how many other people are going to be watching Eastern Washington versus Michigan.
Speaker 3: State on a Tuesday night. But if it's at I don't. I would not like that.
Speaker 4: If if I'm sitting there watching something and someone else comes in later and demands a change of channel.
Speaker 2: I I have to Again, I'm thinking about things that I have never once thought about while on the air because we're talking about it. I'll save this for the five o'clock hour, but I had I didn't have to, but I was kind of urged to just have to, like bodyback somebody one time, not me, not really, but at a restaurant they were telling me they didn't have access to a game, and like, sorry, we don't have it, but yet they had they had another game on, which means if they have this game, then they have to have the other game. Makes sense because they're within the same like package and they they kind of wanted me, like they could visibly see that I wasn't believing them and that I wasn't necessarily happy, so they just kept like overdoing it about sorry, I mean I wish, I wish we could, and I'm and finally I'm like no, like it's fine. I'm not gonna make you change it. I'm watching it on my phone, but like I know that you that that's not the case. And interesting it ended up kind of awkward, but oh, let's go. We got the bibicle Like hour next stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety