Speaker 1: You have to love the laugh. Welcome back to EVE Sports Radio. It's May the fourteenth, twenty twenty five. May has blown by, the Kentucky Derby has blown by. We have the Preakness coming up this weekend on Saturday, so we'll be speaking about horse racing more this week. But welcome back to the show. The phone number to EVE Sports Radio is five zero two five seven to one seventy nine hundred. That's five zero two five seventy nine hundred. This is Sports Talk seven ninety KRD.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 1: We've got a new person in. We've got William sitting in with us today. William, welcome aboard. You're not a newbie, but you're close. Shannon's still close to you, so you still got all your backup that you need.
Speaker 2: But welcome to Esports Radio. And I appreciate you coming in with you.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you analogy me. Shannon's holding my hand here in studio, so hopefully all exactly.
Speaker 1: We're gonna break you in slowly, that's all we you. But no appreciate you coming in. And of course Shannon's definitely the best, but I'm not frightened of him. We're gonna get in the ring one day, William, I'm gonna have to dethrone the champion. But I don't know when that. Days don't come, but it's going to come. So anyway, we're gonna move on from that. So let's get into the show. Let me know, is my younger son called in yet, William. Let's to bring Anthony Eaves to the show. Anthony, how are you.
Speaker 4: The fact that you still a question if I'm calling in on times? Just almost a little disrespectful.
Speaker 2: Anthony, wire you with us? Can we hear you own home? Anthony? That's all I can tell you.
Speaker 1: You not hear him at all. I have not heard a word that he has said. So anyway, I'll just keep talking. Anthony. Just tell Anthony to continue talking until we get it fixed. But I do not hear Anthony. So it is seven o eight and this is what we have in store for you today. Once we can get Anthony live, which we will, We're gonna talk a little bit about, of course, Pete Rose and major League Baseball. It has its issues. We know that major League Baseball has had its.
Speaker 2: Issues, just like a lot of sports. Anthony, are you with me? Sounds like I heard a click, but.
Speaker 4: Yep, I'm here, I was here before it. I don't know what was going on.
Speaker 2: I hear him now, thanks Shnny, Yeah, I hear him. Now you're doing, Anthony, I'm doing well about yourself. Good now that I can hear, I'm doing doing good.
Speaker 1: So what we've got up today and everyone knows yesterday huge news is that Pete Rose and numerous others nineteen nineteen White Sox Chicago White Sox, which you're not far from their stadium, Anthony, just one hundred years later.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: But I had gambled on the World Series and shoeless Joe Jackson has an opportunity, just like Pete Rose, to be admitted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Okay, And we've talked about this subject, Anthony, you and I have not, but we've talked about this subject on this show, I mean numerous times. Is a hot topic. It's one of the things that makes baseball. It lights it up, Anthony, it really does. So I was talking with William, our producer, and he asked me what I thought, and we've got a tape that we're going to play. But again I said that I believed that Pete Rose should be in So William, I want you to give me, give the audience your reply to me. Don't be scared, tell them what you said, and then I'm going to start to talk. It was a great conversation. I'm going to reply back. I'm going to answer your questions, and then we're going to listen to a little audio tape from some of the ESPN talking heads. So, William, your opinion, you're a Cincinnati read you live in Cincinnati, of that is a correct statement, Coreg Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm from northern Kentucky. I've grown up a Reds fan.
Speaker 2: Okay, your opinion? Should Pete Rose be in?
Speaker 3: Pete Rose is the great hitter of all time. He has Hall of Fame talent and accolades or hall of fame, But the number one rule in baseball is don't ruin the integrity of the game. It was set with Shoeless Joe back in the day in nineteen nineteen, as you mentioned, and I feel like, I mean, there's a lot of other stuff you can criticize him for for not being in the Hall of Fame, and that's almost a different conversation, but he ruined the integrity of the game. I don't get how you can allow a person in to the Hall of Fame with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, great points. Now, yes, there's two sides to Pete Rose. There's three.
Speaker 1: There's the baseball aspect, the hardest playing guy, the most hits in Major League Baseball history, running through catchers during All Star Games. There's no question that when you're talking about the integrity of the game, and we have a lot of issues with players today that.
Speaker 2: We do not as older players.
Speaker 1: I'm an older NBA player that we say a lot of players do not respect the game because they don't play every game, will you. They don't play every play, They take plays off, they take games off, they load manage. That was Pete Rose. He played every game. He played every game like it was his last. He was a very good baseball player, very good. That's first sight. The second side is the gambling aspect. I told you and a lot of people have said that. You know, he's a perpetual liar. It took him a long time. I think when he finally admitted it was January eighth of two thousand and four when he admitted he'd bet on baseball.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that was on ESPN this morning.
Speaker 1: So yes, from nineteen eighty nine, fifteen or so years before, he admitted that he had bet on baseball, and I did agree with Major League Baseball that he did with the proof that they had shown that he had been on baseball. The only thing that I said is that I did not see where he was fixing games. He was betting on his team to win. From what was given to me and what the little I know about Major League Baseball, that's where I got that. So that's the second aspect. If he was ever betting to lose games throw games, I would have thought differently, I really would have. That's the second piece. The third piece is of all the off the field tax evasion. Again, we're gonna stay with it. He went to jail for tax evasion. I'm gonna stay away from the nineteen seventy issue with the young Lady Again. A lot of things were thrown out about his personality that weren't good. So you've got three facets of Pete Rose Anthony. I'm gonna throw it to you before we listen to the audio tape. Those these those three facets are true hardest playing baseball player than I probably have ever seen. If you say respecting the game. By the way that he played, you'd have to put him in the top five, top four. The other two issues are true. The gambling is one true. Coach Beard, I spoke to him last night and he says, now the times have changed and that people can gamble on professional sports. I said, Coach, that's true, but still not the players and college players are not supposed to be able to also, so that part has not changed. Will you mean you're correct on that aspect? What do you think, Anthony on Pete Rose's stature? Should he be admitted in two Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame? There are three pigs. He's got a stool with three pegs. One is phenomenal, with the other two are questionable. What do you think you know?
Speaker 4: There's been so much controversy in baseball with mean obviously his gambling issue and a couple of the fastest he had going on. But until at the same time, there's players as even been in modern baseball, and even the last fifteen to twenty years has have the same dilemmas and similar issues. I've still gotten admitted into the Hall of Fame. He got guys from using steroids, performing enhancing drugs. So if you're going to ban somebody for those two things. Betting, yes, I know it's permitted, But at the same time, if you're betting against baseball, that wasn't really tarm funishing the game at all. I don't see I don't see like I say, I don't sit here and see an issue. But I don't see why I should stop them from getting into the Hall of Fame. That has nothing to do with his performance that he did on the field. I think that the Hall of Fame that they do, they base the Hall of Fame more off of how your entire lifestyle is rather than just what you're doing sports. We've seen it in other sports too. They do it in the football and basketball all the time. Would be NFL players should be the players that.
Speaker 1: Have met dude, Now, great point, should they? I'm gonna ask Anthony, should they? Let's just sit back. As a firm NBA player. I'm fairly conservative, Anthony, with my aspects. You know how I raised you. I'm fairly conservative. But again there's certain things that I am Should players be paid in college without a doubt, I don't care anybody says, nobody's gonna get me to say no, without a doubt, they should be paid period. Does America have problems with when the last person on the total pok gets paid? Oh, without a doubt, they lose their mind all of a sudden, the games going to go away when the last person on the totem polk gets paid. That's the American problem, bottom line. First one to it once at all, they take claims to it. Then when they have to give up any of it, they say there's an issue.
Speaker 2: That's the second thing.
Speaker 1: So I'm not conservative in that, yes, And I'm getting notices again that they can't pick it up on stream the show guys, just to let you all know they're hitting my phone. So that is another issue. So William Anthony says, should the Hall of Fame be based on their entire life? Your opinion, what do you think? Or should it be based on what they've done on the baseball field.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of horrible people, but great ballplayers and there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt, they're in the Hall of Fame without a doubt.
Speaker 3: I think you got to judge.
Speaker 1: All basketball, football, all the sports, all at hockey.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of bad people in the Hall of fame.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of great guys were horrible ballplayers. So I think you just got to look at the game itself. What have they done to contribute? You can ask like to the growth of the game. You can look at some off the field stuff, but I think you have to look at the accolades itself and what they have done within the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if we do that, there's no question Pete Rose should be in on what he did on that diamond in the infield, outfield, base hitting, stealing the whole nine yards, sprinting in and out onto the field before games and at the end of eight inning. Well, let's play the tape before we go to break at seven seventeen, let's play the tape. We're gonna listen to a little bit of ESPN's analogy of what they think is transpired.
Speaker 2: And again we all have known.
Speaker 1: Here's the bad part, guys, that when Pete Rose died, he was going to get in. So he's not in yet. They just lifted He has the opportunity now to be voted in December twentieth, December of twenty twenty seven, he has the opportunity. The Classic Era Baseball Committee again, they're the ones. The Classic Era Baseball Committee is the one that can let him in, not the commissioner. But I do want you to listen to a little bit of ESPN before we go to break.
Speaker 5: Seven months after his death, he Rose is off Baseball's an eligible list. Now he's eligible for the Hall of Fame. Commissioner Rob Manfred lifted the permanent ban on the all time hit cap that's imposed in nineteen eighty nine when Major League Baseball found that the Cincinnati Reds legend had bet on his sport, end his own games.
Speaker 1: One of the game's greatest players has engaged in the variety of acts which have stayed the game, and he must now live with the consequences of those acts.
Speaker 5: In nineteen ninety one, the Hall of Fame and acted a rule to keep out Rose and anyone banned from baseball. Over and over, Rose denied having gambled on the game, including his games while manager of the Reds. Then in two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Did you bet on baseball? Yes? I did, and that was my mistake not coming clean A lout earlier.
Speaker 5: Actually, the man nicknamed Charlie Hussel never came clean. The seventeen time All Star maintained he never bet on baseball while still a player, but in twenty fifteen, ESPN on Earth evidence of Roses bets, including on the Reds as their player manager. Months later, Manfred rejected Rose's reinstatement request, citing an unacceptable risk of a future violation and to the integrity of the sport.
Speaker 1: Tell you think I was al Capone, I'm Pete Rose.
Speaker 6: I am the biggest winner in the history of sports.
Speaker 2: Am I going to go to Hall of Fame once I die? How am I going to know? Breaking news into SportsCenter.
Speaker 5: Pete Rose, baseball's all time hits leader, who was banned for betting on the game, has died at the age of eighty three. Rose's posthumous reinstatement doesn't wipe away stains on his legacy, like a woman sworn statement in twenty seventeen accusing him of statutory rape decades earlier and federal prison time in nineteen ninety for filing false tax returns.
Speaker 7: President Donald Trump says he plans to pardon the late baseball legend Pete Rose. The President made the announcement yesterday, criticizing Major League Baseball for barring Rose from the Sports Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: In the last month, President Trump met with Manfred but Rose's Hall of Fame fate is not up to the commissioner. Rose will presumably be on the Hall's Classic Era Committee. Ballot voters are told to consider integrity, sportsmanship, and character their next scheduled vote. December twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to EVE Sports Radio seven five got Anthony. Of course, we've got the newbie William behind the glass. Anthony complicated subject. I've already gotten forty nine to fifty people have already liked.
Speaker 2: Should Pete rose By in the Baseball Hall of Fame?
Speaker 1: My opinion is yes, I'm going off of baseball, the game of baseball.
Speaker 2: Why I watched him, why I knew him, was.
Speaker 1: Before the way he performed on the baseball diamond.
Speaker 2: That's what.
Speaker 1: Now, as I matured and aged and started to see the issues and the issues he had after baseball, I started to see that he had a checkered past. Yes, I have a friend that's really close friends with him, Kevin Chrisman, who you all know is the sports memorabilia guy that has given me great gifts. But he knows Pete well, and he knows about his past and has spoken with numerous signs about it, and of course Pete tried to as he aged, everyone does, people mature, but he does have a checkered past, so guys. End result is when baseball opens it up. I still think that the sports writers will vote him. No, I don't think they'll let him in. My opinion, I think he should be in, but I do not think I think that William. They will stay with what you consider the integrity of the game, which is correct. Gambling on baseball does damage the integrity of the game. Especially in my opinion, all gambling is incorrect. But when you're throwing, if you were throwing ball games, if you were not playing your best, and again, I don't know. I just know the evidence that I've read from Major League Baseball that he was never gambling against his team. But you're one hundred percent Corregt William. I don't know that to be a fact. If someone does, I like for him to call in. If someone has some information about did Pete Rose gamble against his team when he was a player coach for the Reds is an issue that I have. Yes, he gambled as a player, and he gambled as the player coach. Yes, he did so, guys, that's about it. Anything else, Anthony, you got anything to add? I just hate that. In one of Pete Rose's interviews, he said, I will probably get into the Major League Hall of Fame after I die, but I won't know it.
Speaker 2: Does anybody?
Speaker 1: Does anybody feel sorry for Pete Rose? Last question, William, do you feel sorry for him? Or did he make his bed?
Speaker 3: I don't really feel sorry for him. He made his bed and he chose to live in it.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's two.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you make your bed, you have to live in it. That's a piece of it. Anthony, what do you think you feel sorry for people? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I agree, it's kind of simple. You know, you can't make all the wrong consequences and then you know, expect everybody just to get over and forgive you. Sometimes. I mean sometimes people they just hold grudges and that's the way that their standards and regulations are and you just got to live with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are rules, guys, We do have rules, and they're there for a reason.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate that I'm being a softie for Pete Rose because I'm usually not. I'm usually the guy that says.
Speaker 2: Hey, it is the rule. That is the rule.
Speaker 1: I've had this. Let me tell you. I asked people. One person said, O J. Simpson got inducted to NFL Hall of Fame nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Got me.
Speaker 1: I just want him to know that the Nicole Brown Simpson case didn't break until nineteen ninety four, so he was admitted before those issues. Now there were issues they with domestic violence throughout some of his marriages, but you know that's all.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, William. We'll bring on the next college.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to make sure I answered that he was in the NFL Hall of Fame before the Nicole Brown Simpson stabbing. Okay, So that's all that I'm gonna say on that. When I just wanted to answer, that was one of the things I got. So let's bring ran to the show. Roan, Welcome to the sports radio.
Speaker 2: Are you hi?
Speaker 6: Jerry there? Are you all this morning?
Speaker 2: Good? Good talking a little baseball, that's all.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So I'm not calling in to defend p Rose, but what I am calling in to do is question you know, the word integrity, character and all that that the empires to be in baseball. Bring up their character and their integrity is what I questioned. And here's why we're going to take on Pete Rose, was Joe Jackson, because that's just one individual you know too well to count. Choose Joe, but we refuse to take on the steroids and the people the integrity of the games. Don't tell me the integrity of the game. Was it affected by the use of steroids and all the home runs that were hit and the multiple stars that was involved in that, and they put them in the hall. So you know what those are called hypocrites. So I don't want to hear them talk about their character and the integrity of the games. They need to look in the mirror and question their own integrity in their own character because they don't have the guts or the backbone to take on that problem. So that did, in fact, that affected the game too big, in a big way, in a big way that they were too And I think it's absolutely obscene and disgusting that they chose to let this man in the Hall of Fame eight months after he died.
Speaker 1: Have the apportune No, that's and Pete Rose said that. There's the audio Pete Rose saying, watch guys, I'll get in the Hall of Fame and won't know it. There's an audio of that. I listened last night. You're now that's the part ron because yes, they were passing those things out like like skittles. They're hitting home runs. So they're hitting home runs by the droves and everyone knew that.
Speaker 6: Maguire, Barry, Bond and on and a lot of it.
Speaker 1: So that part, Yes, they were trying to bring back baseball. They were trying to revive baseball.
Speaker 6: We go to the trend that that didn't didn't affect the outcome of games, of the integrity of the games. It's so hypocritical, Jerry.
Speaker 2: But that's true.
Speaker 6: That's one guy.
Speaker 2: That's true, always, always, No, that's that is a fact.
Speaker 1: I mean, that is one factual, and it's gone on throughout sports for a long time to where it's easier to put it on one person than it is to put it on the facilities or the aspect of the game.
Speaker 2: Let's just go back to guys.
Speaker 1: Adolph Rup got killed for not wanting to play black athletes. Supposedly he got me. I played the tape of Adolf up after the game when they lost to Texas at Colefield House, nothing but elegant, great things to say about Texas West. Not one negative word got me, but the n C double A and what the America wanted to put everything, everything on Adolf Rup when it was not Did you try to go to Florida? Did people try to go to Gainesville, Alabama? At the time they put it all on de same deal? Exactly, No, exactly.
Speaker 2: You just don't want to always sell the truth.
Speaker 6: And they.
Speaker 1: Exactly they don't want to admit that it's easier to place the blame on one person and wash their hands of things then to look at totality. Great call, Ron, no question, that's fact. That's why, guys, that's one of the reasons why. And I should that I expect them to put Pete Rose in. I do what he did on the field is deserving. If we're going to start to judge everybody's off field behavior, oh guys, we're gonna be doing it forever. I got no problem with it. But let's just make the rules the same. If those are going to be the rules, players, owners, managers, it's got to be across the board, that's all. So, guys, we're at seven thirty three, we're gonna get to our second break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we've got a lot to talk about. Of course, the NBA, which is where we're going to go directly after this, and some great games.
Speaker 1: Last night Eastwarts Radio. We'll talk to you in a minute. Welcome Sports Radio. Thank you for the dialogue. Conversation on Pete Rose. We'll have to wait and see December of twenty twenty seven, we'll find out when the Classic Era Baseball Committee gets together and see if they would admit Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson and numerous others into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Now, let's get with it, Anthony. We watched, when we watched the Calves go down, I did not watch the Thunder come back and get the Nuggets, but I did select. I thought it would be the Thunder and the Calves and the finals this year and the playoffs started.
Speaker 2: That's what I had predicted.
Speaker 1: I'm staying with that prediction, even though we know the Calves are out. Let's start with the Cavs game first, Anthony, what do you think what transpired? What has to happen for the Calves and Donovan Mitchell to ever see if he can advance to win a World Championship.
Speaker 4: I think at this point, I think it's just a mental game. If you've watched the series, you watched it out the regular season, the physical ability and the capabilities of winning games, and I think getting to that next level is there. I just think the mental aspect, he's still going through a couple of bumps in the road to where he's not fully checked in all the way. We saw it, even on that player when he gave when he slowed down on the layer to let Miles turn to Blocket, that one play alone showed a lot about that entire season, about their entire playoffs. It just didn't make.
Speaker 8: Sense the game before, in Game four, when Darius Garland was out, he was splitting the lane, splitting double teams and Duncan on Miles Turner, and then he's on a fast break layer wide open by himself. In game five, slows down, shoots an underhand layup and gets a pint off the backboard in a close game that it just didn't make sense. I don't know what's going on through his head. I don't know if that game four lost when he had forty eight points, he strained his calf a little bit, and they still lost.
Speaker 4: I think his brain just kind of mentally checked out after that, because I feel like when you that's a game where I feel like he put one hundred and ten percent in and the outcome wasn't what he expected. And I just think it just that was that was his his his NBA championship right there. That was his Eastern Conference Finals game.
Speaker 6: That was all. I think that was.
Speaker 4: All he had left in the tank. I think he was just out of stamina too. I think it was another thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, conditioning. Okay, Anthony, I agree with you that play. We were watching the game that play. I couldn't believe it. I'm being honest with you all. I just couldn't believe it. You just hit the gas, you jump, you put the ball off the glass. You don't have to dunk it. But with his athleticability, which we've seen, you put your hand and ball on the backwards. Soon he's release it. They can't touch it as a basket. And when he slowed down to a walk and let the man running down and block the shot in a huge game that had to be won at home boy, maybe go gosh, something is just not there.
Speaker 2: When I started.
Speaker 1: Speaking with people and of course, I always called Coach Beard, numerous other guys that I know have been in the league a long time and start to ask them their opinion, and everyone's in the same place. Coach Beard said, when he came out of University of Louisville, we couldn't believe he got drafted as as he did.
Speaker 2: No one did.
Speaker 1: Everyone was expecting him to go late first round, early second and ends up being fourteenth pick in Utah. Then the best player he played with, Hayward, gets hurt. Brendan Hayward from Butler. He has an opportunity to step in his first year and shoot a lot of balls, plays well, average seventeen a game. He has a six time All Star in his eight years in the league. Can't believe he's been in the league eight years. I can't believe Shay Gildies Alexander's been in the league seven years.
Speaker 2: You will.
Speaker 1: When I started to look at these things trying to research what's going on. My opinion after looking at stats and all the things, Donovan Mitchell cannot be your best player, that's all. And that's not a slap, guys. Let's just be honest. Look at all the champions that we have you Kyrie and Lebron. You've got Lebron and Dwayne Wade. You have Dwayne Wade and Shaq. I mean, guys, that's not a slap, it's just a fact. I just don't think that he can be your best player on your team and you go very far in the playoffs. He's a perimeter player, and he's an inconsistent three point shooter. Okay, he's very streaky, so say things. Looking at his Chris A Hole guys, six time All Star. He's a forty four point nine percent field goal shooter. He's a thirty six point three percent three point shooter. He's an eighty four percent free throw shooter, even though he missed three big ones in a row, which goes back to that play, Anthony, the play on the layup that when he didn't just hit the gas and shoot the layup or dunk the ball, what he did made go god.
Speaker 2: It really made I went god. I just like, what was that? I just like, I don't know where his mind had gone.
Speaker 1: But in my opinion talking to people, I just think that the Cavs are going to have to get a better player. He has to be your second best player, not your best player, not your rally call that person that leads your team, that Kobe Bryant mentality, that Michael Jordan, Bill Russell mentality, that Magic Johnson Larry Bird mentality.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: That's that didn't come around all the time. That Stephen Curry mentality. Guys, it just doesn't come around all the time. Really really really good player. Donovan Mitchell, I mean, unbelievable player and much better than I expected. That's why I give him credit. I didn't think that Donovan Mitchell would have the career that he has.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: That's why I wanted to go back and look, because I've said on the show, Anthony volume shooter, the shooting percentage as good as anybody in the league. It stacks up with anybody's in the league. Let's go to shake Gilligs. Alexander's seven year career got me. He's a forty four point six percent shooter. Donovan's a forty four point nine. He's, when you're looking at totality, a thirty three percent, three point thirty seven percent three point shooter.
Speaker 2: His is better. Donovan's is a thirty six point six. Guys, they're all very very very close. It's just I.
Speaker 1: Don't think that Donovan can be your best player and take you deep into the playoffs. And that's not a slap, that's just a fact. A lot of players that needed help. I think Cleveland needs to.
Speaker 2: Add a player. William, Now you were throwing in your two cents. What do you think? William? Do you do you agree or disagree?
Speaker 1: Cincinnati guy Clean Cavalier straight up the street from you, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I think Evan Mobley is a really good number two, and he's developing into probably a star big man.
Speaker 2: He's developing.
Speaker 3: But I think you're only as good as your weakest link. In the modern NBA, I think the Pacers are just as significantly their floor is higher than the Cavs players floor as a whole roster, this whole roster.
Speaker 1: Well, Coach Beard threw that out to me talking about Denver. He loves Joka and Murray, he says, but when they lost their role players, they're having a hard time. They're really struggling to do it again. William, you're a hundred percent correct. There hasn't been a repeat in the NBA in a long time. I don't think there'll be any more repeat champs. I just don't think that'll happen. With the movement and the attitude of the players, I just don't see that. Are the injuries of the players as we see Tatum has gone down. I just don't see it happening. I really don't. For some reason, it maybe it could. There'll be a team. Everyone thought Boston was gonna repeat this year.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Everyone thought Boston was young enough to do it again. And after being snubbed when Brown was snubbed from the Olympic team and Tatum wasn't played very much on the Olympic team, that everyone thought that they would come back with a chip on their shoulder and showed the league well, I mean their style of play. I just ugh, I'm still upset with the way that the Celtics play the game of basketball. I really am so best of luck. I just think the Caves need to get a player. And yes, Mobley's improving, and yes he was an All Star, so it's Garland. But when you're talking about the true duo, Donovan has never had a duo to where he could lean or rely on somebody in his career at this time. And let's be honest, guy, Shay Gildis Alexander hasn't either, and he's leading his team. So we're gonna watch and see if Shaye who I believe, Okay s he's the best team.
Speaker 2: And I'm expecting oka Se to win this thing this year.
Speaker 1: I just thought it would be Cleveland and Okay, see, I really did so, guys, we're gonna get to our last break when we come back. We got a little college football news. We've got to talk about college football. And you weren't with us yesterday, William, but I had to kill Bill Belichick. And now there's rumors, guys that there is an issue in North Carolina with coach Bill Belichick and his girlfriend. Watch radio, will talk to you all in a minute. Welcome back to the sports radio Anthony. Last segment, I have to ask you this, William YouTube Anthony.
Speaker 2: I've got to ask you this.
Speaker 1: How did Cooper Flag get to Dallas? Did the NBA cheat? Coach Beard said they cheatd I just want to know did they cheat? I'm happy, I'm happy for Niko general manager, I am, But did the NBA cheat? How did the Dallas Mavericks get Cooper? Now look at that team? Now look at that team. Hey, guys, Cooper Flag can play, He's really going to be good. Give him a chance. We've just had to say Donovan Mitchell's eighth year, Chake Gilligs, Alexander seventh year, Give that boy two years. If Anthony Davis stays healthy, Kyrie comes back with Cooper.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Anthony, What chances do they have to be a major player in the West going forward?
Speaker 8: They they got.
Speaker 4: If they come back as a healthy team with Cooper, Flag will be a top four, top five team in the West in my opinion. And that's just going off of just what I see now. Could they be higher than that, Yes, but I'd send him at around a four or five seed. But I can't sit here and say it they actually cheated or not.
Speaker 6: We have no idea.
Speaker 4: But the first time, this isn't the first time we haven't seen. We've seen the team with low odds of getting them one pick, got it. I mean, we could go back to even controversy, even when the Chicago Bulls had a three point eight percent chance of getting Derrick Rose who's from Chicago, and somehow got him for.
Speaker 8: The first pick.
Speaker 4: So it's it's not the only time we've seen It's like, oh, he happens to be a hometown kid, went to see me in high school. He went to Memphis and then comes back to where he's literally born from and draft as a number one pick to the Chicago Bulls with a less than four percent chance.
Speaker 8: But we've those.
Speaker 2: Balls are funny.
Speaker 1: Those ping punk balls are funny, Anthony, They're funny. No, I agree. I was just playing with you with the NBA. But I'm gonna tell you what, just like I'm a Donovan Mitchell fan, I am. People don't give this guy his due, But I think now that they'll be able to slide PJ Washington. PJ Washington down to the let him play the four three that Cooper play some to Anthony got me. I think they're gonna be really good. I think they're gonna be larger than people think. Give Kyrie the ball, and I think they're gonna be pretty dang good, even if you put Cooper at the three and PG at the four, which means spacing the floor good size. PJ is a great rebounder with Davis. I like what they have, Anthony, I really do. I love Lively, Anthony. They could be big, athletic. They may be better than people think I'm just being honest with you. I just want to see the Mavericks come back healthy. That's all Davis work out this summer. Beat one hundred percent healthy, Kyrie come back. PJ Washington lively he was injured at the end of the year with Cooper Flag And they're pretty good guys, They're really pretty good. I like their team, I really do. So we have to wait and see. The NBA always does funny things. That's all funny things. Now here's what I have, Anthony. We haven't touched it, but we're gonna hit it really quickly.
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 1: They were ranking the football coaches in the SEC, And of course I always go to coach Stoops. A lot of people have been really critical of coach Stoops and the last few years they have been down not to the level that they have played, but they have him ranked the tenth best coach in the SEC. Of course, you know you got Kirby smart one, of course, no question. Steve Sarkege in Texas to Brian Kelly at LSU three.
Speaker 2: Again, you're talking about the Gauntlet.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the best of the best of board at Alabama. Kiffin at Mississippi. I mean, you've got the best of the best, man. What do you think Shane Biember jumped to eighth from South Carolina? They had a very good year. What do you think does Mark Stoops need to be tenth out of the sixteenth in the SEC?
Speaker 4: He kind of has to be right now. I mean, he's had a couple of good seasons, but his SEC record has been a little up and down. It's been kind of a roller coaster rit since he's been at UK, at least over the last five years. Yes, he's no the SEC coaches. He's kind of in the towards the middle, at the bottom of the totem pole just because of record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, here's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Kentucky fans all right now, there are a lot of Kentucky fans that say, now they want to make the next move Anthony. I used to say no to facilities or Anthony. They do have facilities craft Center. I've been in the facilities. I've toured all Kentucky's facilities. It's not Alabama level, but it's good. You understand me. They have good facilities. So I can't say that anymore. I just don't know. Can the University of Kentucky jump through the upper echelone in the SEC, which is the best and the best conference in the country, is just the question mark. That's I just don't think that they can ever. Maybe I don't want to say ever, but I just don't see it in my time frame. It may, but I think it's just a lot to ask. I don't know why. Well, yes I do, because Georgia and Alabama and Texas LSU It's a religion.
Speaker 2: That's all there is to it.
Speaker 1: Guys, these schools, it is a religion. It's like Kentucky basketball. For someone to say the Kentucky basketball is going to drop to the middle of the end of the SEC, it'll never happen. They'll fire every coach and move every player. It just won't hap Anthony. It is religion. So sitting at ten, I think is where a coach stoops should be. And there are seasons that he does jump to five, and there are seasons that he's sometimes he's thirteen fourteen. That's just gonna happen at the University of Kentucky. But a lot of people think that he makes a lot of money, Anthony, and he does that they should do.
Speaker 2: More now here's the comparison ant and William, I gonna put you on the spot. I know we don't have long.
Speaker 1: They have a national ranking of coaches, and of course the national ranking guys again says the same thing. Kirby Smarts won, and I mean Brian Kelly and Steve Sarkegan, they're all there. Starkegian's four, James Franklin's five, Danny Lanning at Oregon is six. You know they've got Freeman at Notre Dame seven, to board at Alabama. Ah right, but they have University Louisville's coach in that list sitting at sixteen.
Speaker 2: Brohm.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, Anthony, I'm gonna ask you, because it's time we're done.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask you, do you think.
Speaker 1: That's appropriate for University of Louisville Jeff brom To be sitting at sixteen at his two years at University of Louisville, And just think about this.
Speaker 2: They're one and one against University of Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Fair finally beat Kentucky last year one in one, but they jumped him to sixteen out of the ACC, which guys, is one of the worst football conferences and basketball conferences. The last two or three years that there's ever been. And we know that the Commisioner says things have to change. We appreciate you man, great job sitting in with us. Anthony, get to work and I will speak with you God, Willie and I'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Love you all, Bye bye,