Speaker 1: You're listening to something rather than creator and host Canvalenting that is your producer, pie A Bower.
Speaker 2: What you do.
Speaker 3: Your approach is very unique, you know, blending the philosophy par with art and then you just have like a killer lineup of guests.
Speaker 4: So I mean, those two things to me make it a really unique thing in the podcast world.
Speaker 5: That's screwfy, thank you.
Speaker 2: And then you know, the dissemination of entertainment, news and everything else is so different now there's things kind of like a shiny cord or sitting on the sidewalk. People are gonna.
Speaker 5: Trying to be conspected. That's so kind of you. Like in talking we're recording now, like even like I realized just like about the show, right, it's like such a strange, strange thing to do. Hey, and and listeners, we've got KGMR here and you'll hear the excitement throughout my voice, my voice throughout the entire show. Listeners, recent performance of dedication sounds of the great nineteen seventies show The Rockford Files. I'm wearing the shirt. We'll get to put some video clips, but just listeners, so you know what you popped into. But about the show, like yeah, like it's independent, right, Like who tries independent things?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 5: I like, I've like, well you do, right, but like and in Portland we do, and I like independent doing a show. But it's like in this world like looking for things right, being conspicuous like I said bomb right, like like the shiny quarter. I was reading an article two or three days ago, and let's talk about AI podcast slap slot. Let's talk this about really dirty right. Let's there were hundreds of shows like this one day from what this one publisher about everything in the universe, even at fake AI names, and it's about like everything ever to be created. So like the amount of content, like this flood of like what the fuck is it? Like history of everything ever with you know, Janey Robot and Johnny Robot your favorite AI robot guess host, like even just the finding, like or the looking. I bumped into one. So I'm a baseball nut, so I find this. I didn't look at the heading or the description was a baseball thing baseball nut for me talking about pictures of pictures eighty years ago players. I'm listening to it and it was the first AI AI want I read into it, like all the words were misspelled on the front. I'm listening to this, I'm like, I don't even know what I'm listening to. Is it was like blips and blops and it be like the words were all wrong And that was my introduction little me. Yeah, but I was shocked even in podcasts right now, like the what in the weird? It's like I have never seen a flood of whatever the word is. So that's just me.
Speaker 4: I like that you use the word slop. I was just having this conversation with some folks who are pro using AI and the creative process all videos, music, et cetera. I mean, and not only is the output slop, but I was explaining how the creative process right, when you come up against an obstacle or a hindrance, it's a beautiful process. And I use the backlash of the Hunter as an example. You know, we're framing this our long entertainment piece, and in doing that, we'd get to points where like we knew something didn't sound right and we couldn't figure it out, right, I couldn't figure out and then mill and I, you know, he would have an idea and then we'd be so fucking excited about that idea and it's like, yeah, if we were using AI, it would eliminate that whole creative process and that struggle and then the excitement and the spark and anyway.
Speaker 5: To the core of like even doing the show and at any point, Bob, let me know your thoughts on this. But it's like, for me, there's an application that I can't stand. All right, so I'm a trained philosopher right in this world? What is a trained philosopher like and classically training and all that stuff, But it's like, when did people abdicate the desire for like what it is to be human, like on the creating, like on the thinking, like when we're like individuals say I don't want to do that thinking anymore. I don't want like that magic or I'm not saying everybody's doing it, but like I'm like, I thought that was the why me doing the show. I liked that. I thought that was the thing like in my head. And I'm not trying to be naive.
Speaker 2: I think it kind of gets a little tricky at having thought about it quite a bit because if you go back even there's arpeggiators and tools that aid in creation, but at some point you turn the corner and it just takes the people out of it entirely. But you know, back to what kick Kim was saying, the setup for or what we've got going on with the Rockford files, with the backlash of the Hunter is a lot more complex, and neither of us are great at setting up synths and middies and the interfaces, and so part of it is kind of like trying to jump a bicycle or something for me, you know, like we go in and set up and let's see how this works. Are we going to lose a speaker, We're going to lose the signal. And there's a lot of things that are super helpful just inside the Able to Live program that could kind of tangentially be considered to be AI because there's a lot going on under the hood with the sound processing and elimination of feedback and things like that, where in the passage, you like drag these huge amplifiers and equipment and it's it's all on you to try to figure out how to keep them from howling and and and being terrible. So in some ways it's easier, but in other ways, just as you were saying, it starts to remove the human aspect. I was thinking, we go and visit my aunt at her apartment and she'd have some YouTube thing on that was just on a loop and it was it was just a robot telling a story and it would just loop and she didn't notice. It was kind of really disturbing, so kind of like your baseball thing that it's just almost seems like nonsense, and it reminds me of that Fahrenheit four fifty one or whatever where they put the show on and it's just it's just gobbledygook, you know, So trying to stay away from that and then all so pulling a lot of more vintage equipment into the mix to try to keep the the human aspect there.
Speaker 5: With the Yeah, I loved I love the discussion because like and I like to like queer up the discussion, like just in the sense of like, because what you're saying is true, Like there's some there's going to be a process that ain't like tied to our hands, you know, like that that in that tech that's going to do that. So I think that there are distinctions. Right for me, I was like, like there's questions I think, like that we're navigating, like how close is it to us, like how like do we control it or not? And I think me being exposed to like somebody who typed in please talk about the history of like really good baseball players from nineteen hundred to nineteen fifty and put it into twenty six episodes. Well, like you know, like that was it. But it's a great point with technology, it always is doing something unto itself a bit. So oh man, we got so much to talk about, like and this is about the rock Ford Files too, and everybody, so let me tell you kgm are uh uh uh. Kim and I know each other. And Bob is Bobby good too?
Speaker 7: For you?
Speaker 2: Fine? And Bobby I discovered there's another Bobby Reid, and our wires kind of got crossed a little bit, probably thanks to AI. No offense to the other Bobby Reid ri e a d saxophonist and accomplished composer who's got a pretty heavy online presence.
Speaker 5: But God bless all the Bobby reads. And if we just take the first initial, take the first initial and the last name, well we're gonna go. We're gonna go like bread or something. We're just we're just workshopping it right now. We're just workshopping it.
Speaker 8: So but I want to tell.
Speaker 5: Everybody because people have to know. So I do the show and obviously some I I get to meet a great guest, like people that I never thought I would ever meet, like like for me, Francis McKee of the Vasilines, like you didn't have an interviewed her once and she's a yoga practitioner. But fans might not know and listeners show might know that I'm going back on kgm R like a few months. This isn't just because of the Rockford Files kind of like bait that you put out for me. But I, I mean, I got the album, like and and if you're if you're looking at this video clip, I got the I got the album and and recently what we're talking about here was in Portland a few days ago. My partner Jenny and I went to the performance of KGMR, which included, Uh, for me, it was the Rockford Files. Now the Rockford Files you're gonna tell us a little bit more about. But for me was a show I really enjoyed and I like the particularities. Not to be analytical, but seventies TV shows were gritty. You all talk about all the different Colors the weird drama. It's like, it feels like completely different action show. My brother Chris is close in age and I. We both watched The Rocker Files on reruns which would run before we could access everything at the same point you'd have to watch at a particular time TV. And me and my brother had the type of heads where while we watch everything, let's say of the show. So you know, we were big on it. And so when I heard about this show, I said, well, Portland does this sometimes. It sometimes creates something that's just for me. I don't care about the rest of the world. I really do, but this is for me. And you had already recorded parts of your performance at that I think might have been late twenty twenty five, so I'm like, already I'm gonna get a taste of it. But for me, quick description. I want you to talk about the project. But for me, it was like the colors were amazing. As a painter and an artist, I was like, the colors on the show, that's rightly showing this me right here. The sound and the loops and the experimentation and what you did to like. For me, it was like expanding out the ethos and the feel of this show and almost having like an internal soundtrack to pull back onto the show that came from the show. So I was stripping in my head, like on the ideas of what you were doing and anything rock for files. I'm in the door and then you expanded it out. But as a matter of curiosity, I'm an audience for that. How did you trip out on the Rockford Files? What is your project? What are you trying to do? Like indulge me, like this is my show in Rockcord File. I don't know maniacs have a title. I'll find all this out, but talk to us like about this.
Speaker 2: So like you, the first time that I saw I was pretty young and it was in syndication, so it was the second time around. My dad was a huge fan of the Rockford Files, right, and he was also into like getting the first VCR, so he has a collection of Rockferd files, and initially it still had the original advertisements from the seventies killed. So I started thinking about it kind of in that context and grabbed one of his tapes and then Kim and I watched a few that were available on Roku or something, but with ads and the pace of the show initially is what I really liked because there's tension there, but it it's very relaxing because I think there's probably more talking in the first couple commercials when we watched it with commercials than there was in the entire first episode. Wow, there's just a lot of space and a lot of Los Angeles in nineteen seventy four, just as it was cars driving by, and so that kind of got us into it. And then I found that you could We found that you could order the whole entire series on DVD for like twenty two dollars. So that's kind of a no brainer. It's a box set and.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to my phone at the moment. Keep going.
Speaker 2: And so with that we were able to start to zero in and identify some of the parts. What really got me started on it was, you know Mike Post, who is this prolific writer of music for mostly for television that when they started doing these shows in the seventies, they would I mean, he did the theme song and it was a number one hit, but I know they also did they also did the incidental music for the entire show. They would present the episode to him with no music, and he would call up the people from I think it was the Wrecking Crew, who were these top studio musicians serious. They would sit down and watch the show and say, all right, we're gonna put some harmonica here. We're gonna get a trombone, call the slide guitarist for this part. And you can hear when the keyboardist picks up an early synthesizer that the Mogue synthesizer starts to show up. And so that aspect of it for me was really interesting.
Speaker 5: And this music is banging listeners. This music, I mean, it's some banging music. And thanks for telling me like that background like there's some chops behind it. I didn't have the words and the names, but for sure.
Speaker 2: He's he's somebody that's worth looking into. Because with the Rockford files of the theme song, he saw that it had potential and he went ahead and promoted it and they released it and it was a hit song. And then he just he had had enough of being out in front of the curtain and continued. He did the song the music for the Law and Order. I mean, there's too many to list, and I'm not super super knowledgeable about it, but he's an amazing and overlooked. I mean, he really is a genius and he worked closely with Stephen J. Cannell. I think that's how you say his name, who isn't a musician, but he's a guy that was apparently really integral to the development of the ideas for how this.
Speaker 5: There's there's a truth. There's a through line with Canal that goes like I don't know how far back, but like in the seventies, because even in the eighties it was action shows that were retranslated like eighteen and like Rip Tide, which is right after it, but even goes beyond that. I'm not an expert on Canal, but there's a there's a true line of like the action like show with class music and like good actress and actresses. You see a lot of upcoming like people in these shows. So yeah, shout out on the Canal. And plus the post right, Mike Post, you say, Mike.
Speaker 2: Post is uh. I think he's he's a genius and he's overlooked. And the music doesn't sound like anything else, especially the incidental music. A lot of the theme songs are so what is it ubiquitous? Like it's just part of our childhood, really anybody who's kind of our age. That's what we grew up with that, you know, the Chips theme song and night Rider and all of these were ingested and stored and so.
Speaker 5: Great, great, great great songs, great song and brain like you hear it? Well, like I said, watching every episode, right, so how long did you listen? How many times you listen to episode? Well, five hundred times, I wonder, I wonder if it's seared into my brain, so might talk to my brother five hundred and seven hundred times that song?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, in the in the in between music, the incidental.
Speaker 5: Between the playing off of it, like the mood, right, so it's just an echo.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And so we started to work with that, and we zeroed in on this first episode because we really liked the visuals, and the entire series is too much to tackle, so with with this first piece, we concentrated on that and and it really resonated with people, like, I know, you were excited about it. We were super excited about it, But there were some people that it was like something happened to them and I'd never experienced that, just going in and like, hey, listen to these songs that we're going to play, people are like, yeah, great, those were great songs. And this was more like there was sort of almost a mania.
Speaker 4: It was like a frenzy after the show.
Speaker 5: Actually, those brains are going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and what's interesting. So we played a shorter We did a shorter version that was mostly improv back in the fall the Portland Improvisation Summit, an audience that was much younger who didn't even know what the Rockford Files were. Yeah, and the same thing happens, like just people coming up to us afterwards in this kind of frenzy. But but this last show, I mean it just even topped. That was so exciting to see people so excited and like having this other kind of experience that they probably weren't expecting.
Speaker 5: Uh kim on that too. Like that fascinates It doesn't surprise me, but it fascinates me. Like I think, like I thought about in terms of this, like and maybe it's like Portland and just the sheer you know, oddity of the project. It's you know, we end up circumscribing things like in this way or that way, right, like serious non serious and everything. But what do you do with like like a show or a piece of media that's storoughly enjoyable. You didn't pick out in your head, like the music. I didn't in my head. I didn't step back and say, hell shit, that's a hell of a groove. And like you know, like but like people have experienced Alred to come in contact with, and there's something there the colors for me as a painter. I mean, obviously it's weird to trip out like in listeners like but it's beautiful. You'll hear voice of like mentioning particular colors that are pulled out in this LA from nineteen seventy four, and you giggle that first because you're like, what are we up to?
Speaker 9: Denver Golden Melody, buccaneer in carmel base, Cameo white, porcelain blue, Denver Go.
Speaker 5: But then you're looking at it and like it was this contrast of Bobby that you had mentioned about, like black, white and gray sawm on I five twenty six, And you know what happened you you planted the seed and I'm driving and I'm looking.
Speaker 6: Black car, black car, black car, great car, white car, fucking Trump sticker, white car.
Speaker 8: But but but then I'm like seeing how I was tripping watching that show, and like my brother and I, whether it's in nineteen eighty two or twenty twenty six, in this bright colored bar in Portland, It's like, I'm a painter.
Speaker 5: I have a painter sensibility. Look at that fucking yellow, like look at that green, like look at that weird like that green's almost gross, but it's gorgeous. Or like that shiny brown and like that's big. Right, It's an eccentric little thing to point out, but I'm like, it's at a different landscape that you're looking at, Like it looks completely different than the thing that has the name La God Bless La. It's colorful as hell right now. I'm not saying it's bland, but what you point out was like this was a moving picture or something.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting you mentioned the colorful bar because it's not a colorful bar. It's it's white, and it's very hastefully put together by Alan Hill Barbotellon, and it concentrates on Spanish wines. Originally he had it called something else, but he got to cease and desist. From a boat to box company.
Speaker 5: Jerks is just like a EU type of thing. Cheese, all right, we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: But so to give a shout out to Alan. You know, he's very strict about how he feels about his wines and how things should present, and he was willing to take a chance on having us show up out there. And there was a little bit of a question about whether or not he knew what he was getting into with having us come to perform Backlash of the Hunter. But it was a great spot to have it, I think, and I recommended it for people to go and enjoy his corner spot. It's been there for about nine years but it's never crowded.
Speaker 5: So beautiful, beautiful spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back to the cars. Can what I reflect on, it's like, okay, what is the different experience emotionally and like with your perception if you are existing in a world where like in the seventies, where there's all these colors, right, and I feel like, for me, what that does? I feel a certain kind of freedom and a freedom of expression. And then when I think about being in a less colorful world, right, it feels more staid and robotic.
Speaker 5: I feel that. And maybe it was the warm clay Adida suit I bought recently, and I said, hey, and maybe it's the rock from File shirt that I tracked down, but you have an influence on me and making me feel, you know, more comfortable in my skin. Talk about the talk about your aims with kg MR as as as a project, like like overall I listened uh uh to the album is it saying? I think at the pronunciation Saint Roque, it's the rock rock R O c H. Saint rock folks is what I'm referring to. And uh, I really enjoyed this album. And like I said, had seen the recent experience. So like I'm around, I'm around your art, but what about the art project itself? And you know, obviously I dig on it? What a what? What do you know?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 5: You know? Why are right? Like?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 5: What what do you? What do you? What are you trying to?
Speaker 8: Do?
Speaker 5: You have fun? It's high quality, like what's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, we come up with ideas and flesh them out, and some of them make it into songs and some of them do not. I think for me a lot of times I sort of tow the line between clever and stupid, and we try to, you know, come up with stuff that's going to be hopefully up to but not beyond into just being stupid.
Speaker 5: Now you're in the spot. I mean, I'm a particular audience, but yeah, the performance people were digging on that for sure.
Speaker 4: You know, we're both such long time musicians. Both of us were those little kids who actually practice their instruments every day, you know, and we both go really far back playing music. For me, it's always been emotion led. So I feel things and it literally comes out in my fingers at the piano. And so some of the very first creative things I did was like a little kid, and I had a mini cassio, just a lot like the one we used in Backlash of the Hunter. I had one of those plugin like two octave Magnus organs, and I would pretend I was creating soundtracks for horror films, and then at one point decided like I wanted basically a sample of all different people saying hello. So I was prank phone calling people and I had my tape recorder and as soon as they said hello, I'd hang up. And then I thought, took the next person, and I'd do it, And so I did. I had this cassette tape of like all these different people saying hello. Well, the last one I did, people had a tracer on their phone and next thing the cops were at.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it's gonna end. Everything's gonna end sometimes.
Speaker 4: But it's a long story of a way of saying that. I think for both of us. You know, Bob's been in bands is basically his whole life just a way to emote, really, and it looks a lot of different ways. And so when I think about the aim of KGMR, like we don't have one if you go through our whole discography, like it's so different, and that's not even incorporating a lot of this stuff that Bobby's made on his own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean for me, my folks had me playing violin when I was in kindergarten and then I think I was thirteen and I came home one day and my dad had bought an electric guitar that he claimed was his. But I don't know, what do they say, like, give a man enough fish and they'll be hungry tomorrow. Teach a person to fish and they'll spend the rest of their life drinking beer in a boat. I think I think there's a parallel there with you know, given a teenage boy an electric guitar, you're you're rolling the dice with how they're going to be uh spending their time and where they're going to be spending their time and what they're going to be doing. But and then we had tape recorders around and I would record, you know, tennis shoes in the dryer and terrorize my brother with it. And I don't some of the things I feel like. I think of ideas, and initially, even to me, I think that is just totally silly and kind of stupid. But when I really look at them and start to pick them apart, there is some something there that's that's has more to do with serious things than just a silly idea. You know, There's there's a depth to it. And just because it comes initially through silliness or something that sounds like that's just a zany and wild idea, you flesh it out and start to really look at it and it means something different than it did initially, Like why you had this idea of something that seems ridiculous and even stupid, and then it turns out that it's it's not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like for me in having so many conversations with the artists, but like a huge influence of David Lynch upon me was like almost like the idea of just quite simply that he would capture the image in full or and pull it in with his net and his brain. So it was like trying to eliminate the prejudgment, like why is there a horse in a room standing there? That's a white horse? I don't know. That's what I pulled in, like in on it, right, And so just like kind of like a different approach of like I can't predict what I put Like I put my net into a dark pool of liquid, and there's this thing here, but there it is, you know, like and so for me that everybody creates in a different way, but that like just opened so much like more about it of being like okay, that's a new thing. It just opened up for our minds, like what works. You know, you're not trying to hit the target audience of Ken Valonte and Chris Fallante Rockford Files. You know, put out whatever I'll put out because these guys will will take it up. But it's like not just simply the nostalgia, but it's like reviving like the colors and the sounds and that where I walked out of there and I was like it wasn't like I want to just watch one episode, but I want to like watch and hear all of them and then like on the soundtrack idea of like like hear this flow of sound and how it how it impacts us anyways, like so so so fun, you know, like thank you like so much on that project, and asking you about the band, like do you do you plan on expanding out this performance? Because I listened to the track that you had on this episode and it was a good amount of time, like thirty thirty five minutes, and then I started live. You went out for a while, and then I was wanting more like what's like twenty twenty six, Like what do you want to experiment with or have fun with, like whether it's this project or another project artwise.
Speaker 2: Well, so when we got done with our performance over there, we had neglected to press record, so I got some of it. Yeah, I think people got some of it. But so we came home and since it was fresh, you just set the stuff up and did it again. You know, it would be different every time. The looping that we're doing is through a couple of nineteen eighties guitar pedals, so there's no way to lock them into the rhythm or or control them. That way, you're kind of pulling stuff as it comes up and see what's there and then moving on to the next thing. And so we actually got a good recording of it, and we've got some video aspect, and we're going to to try to assemble that and get it put together in a way that people will be able to watch and listen, you know, hopefully without running into copyright problems with anybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the bits and clips.
Speaker 2: Other than that, I think we've kind of happened on a way of working on stuff that feels a little more free wheeling than what we've done in the past. And also, you know, after playing music together for twenty seven years, starting to finally settle into be having this comfortable way to interact musically with each other and move through stuff and settle on things without without tripping each other up or getting too hung up on things that maybe don't matter, and working that way without like, oh, this is what we're going to do next. It's more there's more of an aspect of well, kind of like the guitar battles, like a little bit of randomness and this is what's next. Because I made this recording on my phone of some kids in the park on a squeaky swing or something like that, you know, which is another great part about the accessibility of high quality music equipment and recording equipment. I mean, you sent something to us that you recorded on your phone, and the picture in the sound quality we're actually excellent. You know, they're passable. So it really opens up a lot of a freedom in how to work on stuff. That's I think what we're looking forward to doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for me, when I write music, it's it's just for me, Like I don't give a shit if anyone likes it or not. But it really did move me again, like seeing people so delighted performing this, and so we kind of like lat on, like we thought that'd be the last time we've performed the Backlash of the Hunter, and now are thinking, like it really delighted people so much and it entertained people that we maybe want to do it again. And even if we don't want to do it again, I'm very attracted now to this idea of creating something that delights people, like using our creativity and talents to create something that is truly delighting people and giving them that experience that you were talking about. So I've never I've never thought about that before until what like a week ago at that show.
Speaker 5: It's part of the learning experience like in the seventies and stuff too, like for me growing up, Like like for me, there was like this is just my my my take on it. There was like it seemed like real like cultural like advancement and like African Americans on TV and other cultural groups. It doesn't feel the same as like modern type of stuff, and I don't follow the trajectory, but like, well there was sound in like inclusion and all stuff. It's just I don't know. I had a feel to me that always seemed like more more authentic and so like bringing out the colors in the sounds for me is like it felt totally like that seventies and it's a different world, so like kind of allowing that world to exist again and this is not a well, I don't know what twenty I don't know what the world's going twenty twenty six. I don't know what. I don't I just don't even know. But like as a as a live culture, like when people are tapping into that even with an not being necessarily familiar with the TV show, They're like, oh shit, that's my grandpa. Like for me, like I was watching, I'm being like, oh shit, that's my freaking uncle, like chilling out right. That's like, that's what's going on, and like that's the d piece. And again not to be overly analytical about it, but like pulling that back out, allowing people to like live and breathe in that. It's like in this world right now? Sure, sure, like do it for a bit. Yeah, I don't know that the way it feels to me.
Speaker 2: I think that there's there is that, especially in the early seasons, and I think it's important to mention that. You know, James Garner was a social activist. He was heavily involved in helping to organize the March on Washington.
Speaker 1: D C.
Speaker 5: Good Man, James.
Speaker 2: Very early advocate of legalization in marijuana. He stood up for actors that were working with him, and he encouraged them and mentored him, mentored them, and he you know, he took on the MGM. I believe in a lawsuit that most people told him that they were going to ruin his career. He was going to ruin his own career taking these people on and he won, and then after that they asked him to be on The Rockford Files. And a lot of the early episodes have some really strong female characters, and some of them when we were watching them, you know, they have warnings about things that have since come to pass, like the collection of people's personal information in data centers. I mean, it is pretty uncanny. And uh, he's a He's an interesting and complex character who who came up from nothing, you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeah, shout out, thanks for thanks, thanks, thanks for bringing that out. I knew, I knew some pieces of that, and for me, I was always like, if I had half the looks of James Garner, I could go a long way in this world. I mean, God, bless God, blessed to me. And I don't know him intimately anything, but I knew that too, And I knew he dealt with a ton of ship on the show, in the contract and the physical pieces. I mean you even allude to that in the performance, like he dealt with that ship is a worker on there and probably wanted to do things a certain way and they were giving him. I don't know the whole thing.
Speaker 2: But Gretchen Corbett, uh is an actress who's from Portland. Her her name Corbett Avenue is named after her family, and she plays a lawyer in the early seasons and they she ran into something where they were going to do more with her and pay her the same amount or less, and James Garner encouraged her to just to just walk away. You know, she was an important part of the show and then all of a sudden she's just gone. And you know, she went on to do a lot of other things and she's still alive and active in working in drama in Portland. But he wasn't one to like, oh well you you please don't leave. We need you for the show. And he just you know, he helped people a lot. Tom Sellick too, He helped Tom Sellick. They were getting Tom Selick set up to be either a replacement for Rockford, but then they decided to put him in Magnum PI and Magnum p I initially, I guess was going to be this show with this womanizer, schmoozy pretty boy thing. And Tom Salick really didn't want to do it, and James Barner encouraged him that, like, this is your chance to try to get what you want. You're never going to have a better place to be able to do it than right now, and so you ended up with you know, however, many hundred seasons of Magnumede, you know, which is another wow.
Speaker 5: So he wow.
Speaker 2: He appears as as this pretty boy like everything always goes right for him. You probably remember in the Rock.
Speaker 5: I Do I Do His the shirts were impeccable, the cases came through at the end.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, with.
Speaker 5: A certain amount of you know, there was different Rockford. Rockford had to put a little more blood and guts, I think, yeah, always it's in the case paid for it physically, mentally, Yeah, social time hard hits to the head.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a pre robust fan site on Facebook for the rock profiles and I love Someone posted the other day and said, what was that episode where uh where Rawford gets like the crap beat out of him and he doesn't get paid in the end.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just every episode.
Speaker 5: How many episodes were there? Those episodes like you imagine at the end of like a really rough day, like you're getting stiffed on the pavement, I can't imagine, right, you know, in this world, but like then you're gonna be like looking pay my ass too, Like, pay my ass. I'm almost dead. I'm calling from the freaking hospital. Pay my ass, Like this whole check's going to the hospital bill. This is nineteen seventies America. I'm not tied to an employer. I'm a freelancer. Oh poor guy. Anyways, made it through. So no, uh, anyways, Hey, you want to answer any of like the huge concept. You want to just like, uh like, why is there something rather than nothing? You want to answer that quickly. I mean we've been kicking rock and files in our you want to be like like the you know, going from from from all this, like like like let me ask each one of you are at the same time, like two of the big ones. But what is art? What is art?
Speaker 2: Kim warned me about these questions, and uh so I've been thinking about him. I was in an airport, probably more than a decade ago, and this guy's in a suit. He's coming up the escalator and he's waving his arms around and talking loud and making all these weird faces. People were kind of looking at him, like and he gets to the top and I see that he's got you know, one of these like an earphone thing end and he's he's on a phone call and he's waving his arms around and making all these weird faces and talking all loud, and and I think art is the earphone that lets you do things in a way that people aren't going to judge you as being insane because well, it's okay that they're doing that. It's art, you know. So I don't know if it's just a construct. I mean, I think you could go on an eye when people use it, use art to hide their wealth and make statements about things. But in some ways it's sort of a slippery, a slippery definition. But I think that part of it is that, you know, giving yourself permission to do things.
Speaker 5: That helps me a lot what you said right there, because like one of the things I kept bumping into early on, because like in doing this show, I kind of expanded my like identity myself as an artist, and I realized there was just this inflection that was very simple, like like it had to do it like that, you know, like in your head, Okay, that was an artist I had to do with and habit in that space and say fuck all like it. But it's a big jump to do. It was for me to be like like we're people would look at you is like you're doing an artistic thing. You're like, wait a second, I am the artist right here, like you know, and so like the way you describe it, like for me in that space that it's doing and it's like, okay, they're doing that thing. This a man, it just clicked for me, Like definitely, Kim.
Speaker 4: For me, it's really about taking them intangible human experience and making it tangible, right because again, like for me, my creative process almost always comes out of emotion.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: Intangible ways of being and feeling as a human and art makes that tangible. And I think about you know, our dog dying two days ago. You know, we spent all day crying and then at some point in the evening we just started playing music. We were listening to music, so you know, like Bob first put on this Thin Lizzie album.
Speaker 2: The Friendly Ranger of clon tars Castle.
Speaker 4: We started there, you know, and with the line in that song that says, you know, say goodbye to a very good friend. And then after that we were just for listening to music for hours and you know, listening to things that were helping us process all of the grief. And all of those songs we listened to helped make it become more tangible, this human experience we were having of loss and grief and sadness.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you and thank you for sharing that. Also, today's as we're recording is uh record record store day. It is record doors record store day, so uh, I gotta go search for album. Yeah, maybe it's just this compulsive thing. There was one album I saw advertised that I really and somebody who I've had on the show April March, and she does kind of uh French uh French like retro songs, completely fluent in French and English. But it was interesting. She used to be the lead designer and animator for Ren and Stimpy hm hm the cartoon as well. Anyways, I'm gonna I'm gonna end up hunting down or trying to hunt down the April March album. But like, yeah, just the music. Like for me, I grew up. I grew up my parents listen to a lot of sixties and seventies and motown and stuff, a lot of variety of music. But as a kid, it was like early hip hop and rap, and as I went along, like I really like to be able to get into like angers and frustrations and music was like just the one place, but you found the magic alchemy of the Rockford Files. You tapped into it. Yeah, well at least you know, with this small subset here.
Speaker 4: But one thing I want to say about, like you're talking about growing up in the music your parents were listening to. So I love to dance, Like, I really love to dance. I mean to dance all the time. But I think the reason I love to dance is because growing up my parents were disco dancers. And they would, you know, was whatever Thursday night or whatever. The furniture, yes, not only, but for the thren, they'd roll up the rug in the living room, they'd put the vinyl on. My mother would strap on her heels and they would practice, and my brother and sister and I would you know, sit on the couch just like wide eyed and watching them, watching them dance, and you know, the beat, and that beat just got in me. And so it was this kind of like birth of happiness around a beat for me. And so like that's lifelong, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a it's it's a beautiful thing. I grew up. Well, my parents were young too, like my mom had me. She was seventeen, right, so there's still kids. You know, it's going to get a Friday Night sometime, right, Like I don't have to explain shit. You're like, can they get these little kids and they're like they're in they're like they're in their late twenties, sent me shiit Friday night. But you had the part and then the parties too, Like I don't know. It's just like the way with like resources that were put in a few dollars here or there. I remember like a big, big trash can and it was like the generic beer where it be like b E E R on it and like in the ice. So you got the records, you got all those records, you got the beer and.
Speaker 2: Ice thing Like that's like the beer's.
Speaker 11: Like three dollars a case or serve. Yeah, yeah, this is Rhode Island. There's no like returnable, there's no deposit. This is like hardcore like seventies to each No. But anyways, music and dance, like what do you have? Like it's not that difficult to explain.
Speaker 5: Like at the tenement, like twenty something people there, like there's a lot of energy that needs to get out that is uh that is? That is beautiful? W Where do people find uh KGM more stuff? I've been talking about it. I have tangibles that have an album, but where where do people stream stuff? Rockford files are not lovers of music? Where did they go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on all the places. It's not all the places. We maintain a website to kgmar dot com, which is like a cure, like if you just want curated like we have a page of instrumental songs, a page of you know, rock songs of wards. We break it out in that way, which I think is more listener friendly. But you know, it's in all the It's in all the usual streaming places.
Speaker 5: I think personal indulgence, you know, and just make sure you keep going with the rock profiles, not to extend it out too far where you get bored and start to hate the project. But if you can choose in between putting some more ear into the project or not, I would say go to the ear of the project. I'll show up with with my team geez and even talking about you know, some of the things James Gardner did to kind of help people like get along, like in the workplace, and last I read Hollywood is a decent workplace for you know, a certain amount of people, but it is a tough ass job that never seems to end for a lot of people working in the field. So anything else you want to drop in or throw out there or whatever, anything else we need to know or what have you.
Speaker 4: I think the only other thing that is so meaningful to me is Bobby was talking about a little bit. But it's that aspect of creating as a couple that is intense and it looks a lot of different ways, and he was alluding to it, you know, at its best can be you know, say I come up with something and I remember this one time in particular, I'm like, okay, I want the guitar to make the song feel like you're underwater, Like what what the hell is that?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: But that's like what I was feeling. I wanted to feel like you're underwater. And then he plays his guitar part and it's just a thing perfect. And so that aspect of knowing each other so well, and uh, you know, especially especially you like you really anticipate stuff with me, and that's amazing. And at the same time, you know, sometimes it you know, not I wouldn't even say arguments, but gets a little sideways, get.
Speaker 5: No way, no way, no way, and possible.
Speaker 4: The other day, he was playing some guitar solo and I didn't even realize it, but I guess I was making a really horrible face and he stops. He's like, that is the meanest face you've ever made at me in your life.
Speaker 5: That is so discorded from what I'm doing right now. And I got to, let you know, but.
Speaker 4: So cool to like, you know, to do all that as a couple and it's beautiful and amazing and it's messy and it's.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a lot easier to get the other people to show up to practice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's you know, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And and to have somebody that's more tolerant with things that when they're first presented, a lot of people would just shake their head and be like, you know, hey, thanks, I can't make it ever again, because yeah, I've got other things that I need to do and you're embarrassing you know. So there's that part of it's really good too.
Speaker 5: Well, even for like my partner Jenny and I were like it was like earlier in the week and like it was like super nice outside and we had all this spray paint and I just take it down the Christmas tree half the Easter, and then we put it in the backyard and we're spray painting. It's like now we can have the tree in the backyard for the rest of the things. But it's just like spray painting and stuff like to other it's like, you know, like I haven't always done it in my life or indulged myself in that type of way. And so once I started to like I'm gonna be doing that, like I could probably kill over spray paint in a tree like years and years from now, because it's just do it. Do it. Like I missed too much time of not doing it, being too too, too, too precious in my own head about what is it that it's going to be and all that still have the tree back there, it's still back there. Yeah, it's like it's it's the I don't know what the neighbors think about it, you know, in the in the mid in the mid Valley down here, but they got a color decorated, a spray paint Christmas tree for sure.
Speaker 2: So I think there may be an event that's still coming up that's run by a printmaking studio in town, Jane Paglio Rulo's studio, Hotelier Meridian. She rents an asphalt roller, so if the tree is still around, maybe we can ink it up and run it over with a steamroller.
Speaker 5: You see, this is this is how it all. This, this is this is dangerous right. This all happens the next episode. In the next episode, we had a look. Look, look, look we freak it did after this and look what happened. I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you definitely need to be a part of that. And just real quick, I love that story so much because it reminds me of we fell in love on Easter. Yes, because we had we blew out eggs and like painted them and I think we even put like offensive sayings on them or like he has risen or anyway, there's this collection of very silly Easter eggs and then we went downtown and we snuck them into the the front window display of an art gallery.
Speaker 2: They were nice, you know, we didn't know what to do with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, little stamps for them. That was the moment.
Speaker 2: So I stayed there for a few days too, because it was kind of up you know, where people walking by on the sidewalk would see it, but no one who's working there. They changed the display out every month or whatever. But for the most part, I think when they're out the door, they're out the door, you know.
Speaker 5: So that was kind of that's why I do this podcast so we can at least get to the point where we got to that story, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like, maybe we'll encourage some people to plant some artwork and art galleries around town. There's plenty of them to cray.
Speaker 5: So, you know, sometimes it's like, what's the most beautiful, you know, piece of art ever produced? I don't know, Like Mad Magazine fifty two is pretty good. I mean, like you know, I mean at a certain point, good work on that everybody Kgmr. Great music and obviously, you know, drop into some of the fun around the rock Pro Files listeners. If you have not watch the television show from the nineteen seventies called The Rockford Files, at least put your toe in the water, you know, enter the stream, as the Buddhists would say, like wherever you are, enter the stream, and so the rock for Files I would say it other media. Steven J. Canel and so thank you for your for your unique art and at the essence, I don't know, like what is our is like to kick it around, have some fun, think of some ideas and be like this is fun to talk about. I'm going to focus on what we're talking about now, you know. So I really appreciate the both of you, and I'm kinda thank you more.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ken, Yeah, thanks for the opportunity. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Really fun to talk with you.
Speaker 5: Just kind of.
Speaker 2: Corn says, says seven cents a mile and the seven cents a mile and the seven.
Speaker 5: Think you're better carry your father.
Speaker 11: You better aarry your father, forty better shoes, barry your father.
Speaker 12: Look at the sid.
Speaker 10: Welcome, I see, well what is it you want?
Speaker 5: I see, well, what is it you want to Carter Simpson. Carter says that that you educate Nis education, that you're not related to Nicholas.
Speaker 2: We just wanted to make sure that you're willing to take for the four years, willing to pay for the full four years.
Speaker 5: What we're trying to determine is
Speaker 1: We're trying to just how this is something rather than nothing.