Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Did you like the text I sent you this morning? Yeah? Please don't ever do that. Please?
Speaker 3: Can we make a rule that if the text, if the text is going to take place before six am, did it not include words like anus and sperm?
Speaker 2: I thought I was welcoming you to your Friday. You're not.
Speaker 3: That was not a good way to wake up. It was not a good way. And and that it included a graphic. There was a there was a picture involved too. It's not the greatest, not the easiest way to wake up, you know, rubbing your eyes and oh look, because you if you text something before six am, I think, uh, oh, the kidney failures. Pat, she's not going to be at work today, which I would appreciate a heads out.
Speaker 2: But but that's that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: China has retaliated against the tariffs. President Trump's country specific tariffs amount to an effective one hundred and forty five percent tariff on goods coming into the United States from China. So China has retaliated and said that they will raise levies on US goods to one hundred and twenty five percent. The Chinese Finance Ministry says, quote, even if the US continues to impose higher tariffs, it will no longer make economic sense and will become.
Speaker 2: A joke in the history of world economy.
Speaker 1: This is an expensive game of chicken for everybody who has the stomach for it. More, the Chinese economy is not in tip top shape. It should be known. The Chinese need us as much as we need them. It's a real ding dong when it comes to who needs who more. If you get down to the numbers in terms of goods, it is unfortunate for the Chinese that so far they're not willing.
Speaker 2: To negotiate at all. You've got to.
Speaker 1: Learn how to play the game with President Trump, and I've got to believe the best minds are figuring out how to do just that, because they are terrible offenders when it comes to the international trading system. They've been getting away with murder for a very long time. It is it should be notable. It should be noted that it is notable that this president is putting everything on the line right here. This is a huge I mean, this is something and you've heard it come from the President. And it's a truth that other presidents, Democrats included, have wanted to do. Who thought we should do is take these a trade agreements and just but there's no political stomach to do it, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it is. It's a huge deal.
Speaker 1: I mean for somebody who gets a lot of heat for caring about how much people like him and only caring about number one.
Speaker 2: This is a massive, massive deal.
Speaker 3: Well, there there was a thing. Oh we didn't get to play yesterday. I see if I can pull it up. There was a soybean farmer. I mean, one of the things that we're going to see in the next couple of days and weeks is the first people to be impacted by the tariff war, right, And this guy, Caleb Ragland, is a soybean farmer who says that this is a bad time for exactly what's going on. And Trump has said, well, there's no great time for it. There's no great The best time to do this would have been forty years ago so that it didn't get out of hand. But if we're not going to do it, then we should do it today. This is what the soybean.
Speaker 4: Farmer said, the last couple of years, prices have declined. Soybeans are down forty percent from where they were three years ago. Cost a production are higher, interest rates are higher. The overall arm economy is struggling. And then we had a trade war with our biggest customer and it's going to result in lower prices, and quite frankly, there's not much room for error right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that there there will be portions of the economy that will be affected, some of them very quickly, some of them not so quickly. If you're a used car salesman, right now is a great time for you because even though the inventory is low, you're going to be able to sell them for great prices. I mean, all of this stuff has to figure itself out. We're in that position. We the United States are now in a position of almost the free fall, where we don't know where the ground is. And for a lot of people, they see this going on, they see whatever the volatility is in the stock market, and it's uncomfortable. Like we've said multiple times, what runs our economy or what keeps our economy in check is consumer confidence, and that's all over the place right now. People don't know they have no idea. That's why gold is through the roof thirty three hundred dollars an ounce right now. It is just the weirdest place to be because we don't know how this ends, and it's a gamble.
Speaker 2: You have two cups of coffee. What do you mean? You have a lot of animation today. Again, it's probably better for us to be off this.
Speaker 1: Jumped right out of Japan. Did you say it's better for us to be off the streets?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Ye, streets What do you mean jumped out of Japan? Like animation? Animation?
Speaker 1: Animated Japan produces a lot of animated products.
Speaker 3: Ah, okay, am I gonna have to walk you through stuff. I feel like it today. Maybe all right, maybe.
Speaker 2: See how this goes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty out of DC.
Speaker 3: The big annual physical today for the president.
Speaker 2: That's that's fine. First check.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's done, is it? It just he writes what he wants the doctor to say. And then I don't think he's getting on scales or anything like that. The doctor just comes in, he goes, you look great, You look like you're in the best shape of any man ever. And the President goes, thank you, write that up, I'll sign it, and then we're done.
Speaker 2: And the word doctors and quotes.
Speaker 1: You know, we're not talking about diabetes, we're not talking about obesity, we're not talking about any sort of organ I.
Speaker 3: Don't even know what the what the requirement is. I mean, I don't know either.
Speaker 1: But you don't get to be seventy eight, seventy nine years old and you're just in the best shape, you're healthy as a horse. That just doesn't happen for most people. No, that's just a fact of nature.
Speaker 3: But I don't know how it's released. I mean, it's become such an issue, and I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen more about it. Does Walter read than the medical center? Does it then give it to the White House Press Office for them to massage it and release it, or do they just release some of the highlights unfiltered.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure that thing's massaged a couple times. That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: So tragic story out of DC, I'm sorry, out of New York that Spanish executive has won and three young kids killed when it was a helicopter that was taking them on a sightseeing tour of New York City crashed into the Hudson yesterday.
Speaker 2: He heard about it late in our show.
Speaker 1: We got new details about that. Regarding the final moments, the pilot reportedly radioed about needing to refuel. Just minutes before the helicopter crashed into the Hudson. Pilot called in that he was landing and that he needed fuel and it should have taken him about three minutes to arrive, but twenty minutes later he did not arrive. All six people on board did not survive, including that Siemens executive.
Speaker 3: Augustine Escobar, chief executive of a Semen's division, was in the country with his wife. Apparently they were also celebrating the birthday of one of their kids. The kids four or five and eleven years old.
Speaker 1: Did you see the picture, So there's a picture of the five of them in this family taken in front of the helicopter.
Speaker 2: I saw one also.
Speaker 3: They're in helicopter, the headphones on and everything, with their thumbs up.
Speaker 1: That has got to be the one of the eeriest things in life is seeing the last picture before somebody perishes, especially in a tragic situation like this, minutes before, the moments before, five members, three little kids.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 3: There was a couple of different images the videos of what happened yesterday that appear to show the rotor either clipping the rear boom, you know, the tail of the helicopter, if you want to call it that, and either cutting it off or damaging it to the point where it didn't work and the rear rotor doesn't work, and that the main rotor flies off. I mean, whatever happened was it was a devastating collapse of the helicopter itself. So it was just an awful thing. And I had made the mistake yesterday when we started getting more information when we saw it. Originally I thought it was a police helicopter that had gone down because it was credited to the NYPD and that they were the ones who were talking about it, and I assumed that it was a helic police helicopt.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: I did not assume the worst. And part of that's because of the Hudson. Right, we saw the miracle on the Hudson altogether, and you think, you know, you see something like that, like a passenger plane landing on the Hudson, and you think, oh, that's doable. The way they do it happens, that's the Hudson. You just land on it.
Speaker 2: That's where they put their aircraft.
Speaker 1: Now, when we got that news that was breaking as we were ending the show, I did not think worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason. I thought it was.
Speaker 1: A training exercise that went wrong. It didn't even occur to me that there would be a fatality, let alone an entire family wiped out for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: And I guess in New York, those tourist helicopter sightseeing tours are constant, ubiquitous.
Speaker 2: They're everywhere, and there are all the trust constant.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A couple other stories we'll get to here in just a moment include the Space Force commander in Greenland who was fired fired she did not like the Vice President's visit.
Speaker 2: Will explain.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: We want to alert you to our Instagram page where we've just posted a video of Gary. There's been a bit of a controversy here at KFI this morning involving Gary's outfit, and I walked in on it. I didn't even know the controversy existed, and so I was kind of late to the to the drama. But apparently it is alive. And well, did the drama start when you walked in this morning? Or was that the first what I walked into? Was that the first time you've been questioned about your what you're wearing and what you what your ACCRUITTERMA is.
Speaker 3: Today Kono who is the go to when it comes to fashion advice?
Speaker 2: The board up on the morning show.
Speaker 3: I walked in today and I'm wearing a Baylor hat and a Baylor sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: These are my two new.
Speaker 3: Items of appair of items of apparel that were purchased last weekend when I was out there to see my daughter.
Speaker 2: And it's just the beat.
Speaker 3: They're green and yellow or green and gold I think is officially their colors.
Speaker 2: And you do look like a third base coach. He asked me.
Speaker 3: Did I bring in this water bottle that I've had for years? Did I buy this water bottle to match the color of the yellow in the in the logo? And I said, this water bottle is not yellow, it's orange, and he said, no, it's it's pretty yellow. And then I go, come on, you are you're being an idiot, And then I asked everybody else in the room, and they all agreed with him that it matches. And I'm crazy your hat. But I don't think i'm crazy because I don't think i'm colorblind.
Speaker 2: But these are very different.
Speaker 1: Did you take off your hat and put the color on your hat? Because the yellow on your sweatshirt is a little bit more of a canary as opposed to the yellow on your hat. Did you take off your hat and then put that next to your water bottle? And see how close those are? Those are prett close. You see what we're talking about. Now, No, it's okay, Matchie Matchie is super in right now.
Speaker 2: I'm just like jelly shoes. Okay, I am not Matchie Matchie, and I'm not wearing jelly shoes. Just so everybody knows.
Speaker 3: You do not know the name Colonel Susanna Myers, but she was the commander of the United States United States Space Force Base at Patrific, Greenland.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't need, I don't mean to be all conspiracy theory far left here. I think this is maybe the first time I've gone to the algorithm on that side. But this could be seen as a sign of say nothing bad about the government, or you are done at your job, because this is a woman in charge of that base where JD. Van went and said Denmark isn't doing enough when it comes to securing Greenland. He said that from one of our bases there, which is kind of an f and you, like, I can see where it would be taken that way if your job was to run security or to just run that base on Greenland for the United States. How the vice president coming to that base and saying, eh, security is not good here, that would piss me off too, And that's exactly what happened. So she turned around, she's in charge there and wrote an email to her whole staff saying, I don't know what the politics are, but in terms of what the Vice president said.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 1: We do a great job here, we are secure, we are tip top when it comes to security. And she got fired because of it because it was seen as negative words against the government, which if you're in that algorithm, you're looking at that saying this is a case in point of this is an administration that will tolerate nobody's saying anything bad about them. Very Vladimir Putin of this administration. I mean, short of poisoning and killing somebody, but to just rihdth them of their job, a very high, highly placed job, by the way, because of any sort of dissension, any little hint of dissension about the administrations as a member of the military, and you're out.
Speaker 3: This is what she wrote in the email quote. I do not presume to understand current politics. But what I do know is the concerns of the US administration discussed by Vice President of Vance on Friday are not reflective of patific space space. The spokesperson for the Pentagon said, actions to undermine the chain of command or subvert President Trump's agenda will not be tolerated by the Department of Defense. They don't have to even they don't even have to name call Trump here. You just say, in the military, there is a chain of command, and you don't go out of the chain of command. There's no reason for her to write that email in the first place. Now, I don't think she should have been removed, as she's a command.
Speaker 2: The chain of command there at that base.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, why I mean the first line, I do not presume to understand current politics, period.
Speaker 1: Don't send the email because if I'm in charge of secure, I'm in charge of a base, and my job is to make that base secure, to make that area secure. I'm going to make sure that everyone knows that it's secure. And if somebody comes and says under the guys in the banner a vice president of America that this isn't a secure place at the top of the channel of command, I'm going to let them know we're good.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: But he was talking specifically about under securing Greenland in general.
Speaker 2: It's not just the base exactly.
Speaker 3: So why they're not there to secure Greenland, they're not there as the police force or so. What I don't get is where in her mind did she think it was just going to go She's going to write this email and there would be no repercussions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea what she meant. I also believe that you don't have to show your strength with words, that you just show it, you know what I mean. I don't believe that doth protest too much a little bit. I believe that if you are a strong person, or you're doing well at your job, or you have run a strong base, it speaks for itself.
Speaker 2: You don't have to tell people about it and great.
Speaker 3: What's been great about the military, the American military specifically, is it doesn't effing matter who the president is.
Speaker 2: They do their job absolutely. And I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I don't think you lose your job because of it. But I guess that's the military. But yeah, so there is that part of it, like what what are you even thinking? Why would you write that email?
Speaker 2: What were you thinking? But is it to the cost of losing your job? Right, that's the part.
Speaker 1: I don't know, And I don't know. I don't I don't come from that line of work. I don't know what it's like. I mean, I I all my knowledge comes from you know, a few good men and Netflix and Netflix after that exactly.
Speaker 2: There is a weird story that goes around. It comes up.
Speaker 3: It feels like every couple every several months, stories about people who do not sleep together. A married couple don't even have to be married. You're a couple, but you don't sleep in the same room.
Speaker 2: Does it matter if you're banging? What do you mean? Well, who cares? I mean, you're sleeping right, so.
Speaker 3: Well, there's I mean, you don't need to be together to go to sleep, right, No, but there's something about it.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing though, Oh boy, here comes, well, don't when we come back the snory, Oh.
Speaker 1: Boy, here it comes sounds like you're loaded for bear too.
Speaker 3: There, okay, let us know sleeping in separate rooms? Is it a deal breaker for you? Is it great for you? Does it work out for you? Do you know people who do it? I mean sleeping in the separate rooms? Then I think everybody does all the time. I'm what do you mean everybody does what? I think everybody knows.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows somebody.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought you're going to say that I'm now another weirdo, that I'm color blind and I sleep with my wife.
Speaker 2: I didn't say you were color blind.
Speaker 3: You clearly are insinuating that my eyes do not want that's not okay, And going back to me as five year old having to wear glasses, you're dredging up.
Speaker 1: So wow, So I didn't mean to peel that scab. You guys have to see Gary's video at Gary and Shannon on Instagram. The seriousness with which he addresses this whole hat the color water bottler, Let's go color is hilarious.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI am six forty.
Speaker 6: Okay, Gary. Two things with regard to the water bottle, Hold it up to the kf I sign behind you, which is orange and see the difference. Second, I'm curious what is the significance of the ring you're wearing on your right hand?
Speaker 2: Perhaps?
Speaker 6: Was it your dad's just curious noticed it in the instagram?
Speaker 3: No, the ring on my right hand. Somebody noticed it and wanted to know what it was. It's just, oh, that's your sex dungeon, right, No, sorry, it unlocks. Isn't that the one that hooks up to the chain?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Is Hey, I was just on the hall by the way because I heard that Michael Monks, you know, he makes homemade ice cream.
Speaker 2: I don't think you were here. That's what Keana said, You guys, keeping secrets from me is not fun, especially about ice cream. Right. Yeah, it's basically slapping.
Speaker 1: It's like slapping your baby in the face.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: But anyway, the last time he came in and he made us there, he had us taste his homemade ice cream.
Speaker 2: It was incredible.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so Keana came in here and mentioned that he had retooled his ice cream and that he brought some in, so I went down to procure you a taste of his ice cream, and that's why I was missing.
Speaker 2: No strawberry. Keanu mentioned a coconut.
Speaker 1: He said that that he's in, he's like super pump pumped about what went on with the strawberry. But the coconut came out a little bit crumbly good.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: There is a story. He said that he.
Speaker 1: Hadn't come in yet because of the mood that you've been in today, A little bit good. It's a little bit off putting to some people. They don't know how you're going to.
Speaker 2: Be in front of other people. I'm a wild card. I'm the wild card. Did you see the video?
Speaker 1: You're you get a little uh persnickety, I guess would be the word about the whole.
Speaker 3: It's more color slow and reluctant realization that I may be color blind.
Speaker 1: There was okay, nobody wants to admit that because there was nothing slow and reluctant about that video. It was very demonstrative, very serious, like you were. It's funny, want to go into the home. This is why it's very funny. Can I have your driver's license? What this is why it's really funny because it's all about your bailor outfit. And your daughter is a biokem grad student at Baylor, basically setting the biokem world on fire. And you in this video, it's almost like you're trying to do a science experiment like for It's like science for dummies, like this.
Speaker 2: Is one color yellow, this is another? Are they?
Speaker 1: And you're so serious with the way that you deliver this this question, it's very It reminds me of when I was in the science fair and uh, you know, you would propose a question and the question would I remember one science Fair project and it was is your balance better with your eyes open or closed?
Speaker 2: So sited balance or unsided balance?
Speaker 1: And I had people stand on one leg with their eyes open and closed and then took pictures of them and put it on the poster board on the whole bit. I was nine, and it reminded me of your experiment over there.
Speaker 2: Today because I was so serious about it.
Speaker 1: You're so serious, and it's there's something so cute and cool about being so serious about such a small science project.
Speaker 2: Are you in a sleep divorce? Let's do this when we come back, talk about that we come back.
Speaker 3: I am calling.
Speaker 2: Regarding the separate bedrooms, I left a relationship of thirteen years because we started sleeping in separate bedrooms. Definitely a deal breaker. Well see, I don't think she was getting it still. That's you Gotta Get In There album. You Gotta Get In There. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.