Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Yes, it is ash Wednesday. What are you watching? It's also what you watch on Wednesday, so let us know. I haven't seen much response at least on Twitter at Gary and Shannon, but if you want to let us know, you can use a talk back feature as well on the iHeartRadio app. I started Paradise because Amy King and Deborah Mark told me to, and it was, as advertised, very good, just two episodes in, but pretty darn good of course.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 1: A lot of people watched or listened to the President's address, and coming up next we'll get into where we're standing on the tariffs. No opinions, not gonna give any opinions, just what happened today, because the tariffs went into effect yesterday at midnight. The President touched on them in his address, and then the Commerce Secretary came out this morning and said there may be some backpedaling when it comes to these tariffs because what they saw happened on Wall Street. So there have been some changes made today. There could be some more changes made today. So we'll have all of that broken down for you coming up next.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, what else is going on? Time for what's happening? Wow? Steps.
Speaker 1: We have two systems of rain that are here in the area. Well one is here, the next is on the way. They say there are potential thunderstorms and the danger for of course to brief flow in the burn areas. We're just getting light to moderate showers resulting in about a half inch or less in this first wave of rain today and into tomorrow. They say that it moved across the central coast and the pre dawn areas that arrived in Santa Barbara, Ventura, and we're going to get some pretty good rain tomorrow around noon, that's when they say, and then we are going to get another system, going to get some colder temperatures and some thunderstorms. So yes, Sierra Madre is one of the areas near the burn, near the Altadena Burn area. If you don't know that that section of La County Sierra Madres right next door, and they have issued an evacuation warning as well. Sierra Madre. What a beautiful community, a lot of little canyons in their tiny streets, not a lot of room for cars and fire engines or clean up crews or any of that. So that advisory became at six began at six a m. Today, will last until least six a m. On Friday. The areas there that are affected border the Angelus National Forests, so you can check out on the city website if that affects you. They did similar things before the storm in mid February, since they Eton fire burned a bunch of vegetation that backs up to Sierra Madre there. We told you about this news as it was breaking, and Lake County filing a lawsuit today against Southern California Edison, hoping to recover costs and damages by that eaten fire thanks to faulty equipment. We talked about PGNE and Paradise and how's it is a real hard thing to do for these utilities to keep up with aging infrastructure, and because of that, you're seeing them spark more problems as we move into either even more even more time of usage of these old things that they've got up there in our communities. The Eaten fire bringing more than fourteen thousand acres and seventeen people dying in that one, so quite the lawsuit. We knew that was coming, but like I said earlier, finally the paperwork filed on that. Karen Bass back in the news today. People who do not enjoy Karen Bass have formed a fundraising committee to pursue a recall campaign.
Speaker 2: That's going to be tough to.
Speaker 1: Do with a Democrat with roots in California politics like Karen Bass. There was quite the pr hit that she suffered this week. Yesterday when OUs did fire Chief Kristin Crowley made her plea before the city council saying, hey, Karen Bass straight up lied. Those were not her words, but that was the reading between the lines. Karen Bass straight up led about me and what I didn't do or what I did wrong when it came to the fires, and she took her shots at Karen Bass. Now it became of nothing in terms of her keeping her job Kristin Crowley, but a couple dings there on Karen Bass yesterday. I don't know if those will land or stick around, but she's taken some heat over the fact that she left town when the fires were burning and tried to blame other people when she came back again. I don't know how much blame lands on individuals. When you looked at that weather event, you can say that they should have prepared better. Sure, I'll give you that, but man, those were for fires of Lisa Palisades.
Speaker 2: There was no time to get out in front of that thing.
Speaker 1: But they're not perfect Karen Bass, Kristin Crowley, definitely imperfect politicians. So this filing was submitted. They are going to raise money to put the recall on the ballot again an uphill climb or a Democrat in a place like Los Angeles to recall a Democrat. Kristin Crowley, speaking of has a new job. She is arranging paper clips in the basement at the LA Fire Department.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 1: But apparently her new title is Assistant Chief of LA Fire Department's Operations Valley Bureau. That doesn't sound good. That sounds like she's looking for her red stapler somewhere and her desk keeps getting moved. You're not going to hear from Kristin Crowley. I don't think again. Pope Francis again the update we gave it to you. He has increased his physical therapy. He's onto the PT. He may turn the corner on this thing. They say his condition is stable. He's gotten ashes for lent. He called a parish priest in Gaza today. He's on the phone. He's receiving the high flow oxygen therapy during the day, he's getting the oxygen mask at night. Seems to be doing pretty good at the onset of onset of lent. And then also let's see here Coldplay working with FIFA to produce the first ever World Cup final halftime show for twenty twenty six. How long is the halftime when it comes to football, I don't even know, But anyway, Chris Martin working to create the first Super Bowl style halftime show. I'm surprised this hasn't been done. I mean, there are all more eyes on the World Cup globally right than there would be the Super Bowl. I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 2: It's saying that it's a max of fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, fifteen minute's about right. That would be the same as for a superl They extended a little bit a few minutes for that. But I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. It seems like they've left a lot of money on the table not having a massive halftime show whatever you call halftime at a soccer match. Producer Michelle did the homework in terms of their other babies, Jackie and Shadow, who we've been watching, you guys. This live cam went up in twenty twelve, so we've had thousands of people watch this thing, some of them every day, Red Flag, but I do get it.
Speaker 2: It's very it's very therapeutic to watch the.
Speaker 1: Live cam of Jackie and Shadow and their beautiful nest, beautiful overlook there and Big Bear, and they have had several babies.
Speaker 2: They've had four, They've laid fourteen eggs.
Speaker 1: Michelle has her eagletancestry dot com business up and running. Jackie and Shadow have laid fourteen eggs. Five have hatched, three surviving into adulthood. In twenty nineteen, Simba and Cookie hatched. Cookie was killed in a snowstorm, but Simba survived. Listen, it's nature sometimes this happens, guys, all right. Twenty eighteen, Stormy and BBB by the name of Big Bear Baby Stormy and BBB hatched. BBB unfortunately did not survive after a severe rainstorm, but Stormy did. Interesting right, Stormy survived the storm. Twenty twenty two, one egg hatched and survived. That egg is spirit. Spirit's been seen out and about. According to Amy King, last year not a good year, or twenty twenty three not a good year. Three eggs, none hatched, But today this week two have hatched again. We've got a baby storm coming in to give the babies a little dose of real life. But the people that watch Jackie in Shadow are more than confident.
Speaker 2: That they will be okay.
Speaker 1: All right, we wanted to break down the big news of the day for you right now with all of the tariffs going on the tariff news, it's been forty eight hours a little bit more than since the tariffs on all goods from Canada and Mexico were put into place by the President and the Trump administration. Today, the big news is that Trump has agreed to a one month reprieve for autos, so automobile imports a qualify for duty free treatment under the North American Trade Agreement that was no negotiated during US first term, So one month, no tariffs. This followed a telephone conversation with executives from what they call the Big Three, this is GM Ford and Stilantis, and they got on the horn to say, hey, you gotta do something here. And you know how important the auto industry is to this country. That needs no more detail of the automakers, over the past several decades has have developed should say, complex supply chains that crossed North American borders multiple times.
Speaker 2: So your car may be made.
Speaker 1: In America, but parts of it may be made in Canada and Mexico. I believe that's the case with my GMC truck, my canyon. I believe that it was made in Missouri something of that nature, but there are parts made in Mexico. I know my first GMC truck five hundred years ago, the S fifteen, that was made in Mexico, the whole thing. But anyway, there's different parts, there's different It's cheaper to make certain things in different areas.
Speaker 2: We know this.
Speaker 1: And so for these car companies, they're saying that we cross the border all the time with the parts and the cars, and this is just not tenable for us. So the President listened and he does not want to disrupt those supply lines. And then there's this The tariffs would have increased the cost of the typical new car by more than ten thousand dollars. It's the first time I've seen a figure. You knew it was going to be a lot. You knew it wasn't going to be fifty cents per avocado. The weather they're talking about with the produce, that's not great either, but ten thousand dollars more for a new car. Ford CEO Jim Farley last month warned that these tariffs, left untouched, would blow a hole in the US industry and give Asian and European producers a distinct competitive advantage. You just go to the table with Trump with that knowledge, and he's going to play ball with you. The fact that that Asia and Europe would get a competitive advantage over American car makers, that will not stand. So the White House Press Secretary said, we spoke with the Big three. We're going to do this one month exemption. We don't know how long this stay of execution will last. Trump did vow last night in his address to move ahead on April second with a new plan for reciprocal tariffs. This means it's going to be a sharp increase when it comes to US border levies. The Dow did rise on this announcement today. It was up let's see lesson about one percent in early afternoon trading. It got a little bit of a bump earlier in the day when Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick went on Fox Business and said, we may be backpedaling some of these tariffs. There may be an announcement as soon as today. We know jd Vance has a trip to go to the US Mexico border. We don't know if more will be announced then, although I doubt that Trump would give jd Vance that kind of announcement power. Maybe who knows, but we'll see what goes on. Lutnix seemed to kind of be vague when it came to the tariffs. He said today on Bloomberg TV, the President is listening to offers from Mexico and Canada and that he's thinking about trying to do something in the middle, So that to me means negotiations are open. Lutnik also said that the terriffs would probably not cover not one hundred percent of all products, but also not none. There'll be some sort of tariffs, but it's not going to be everything we get from Canada and everything from Mexico. Retailers say us if you're not buying a new car, if you're going to the grocery store, like we're all want to do that. We're going to notice higher prices in the produce aisle, probably first, probably this week. Strawberries, bananas, avocados and other produce from Mexico are going to get expensive this week.
Speaker 2: Why well, because.
Speaker 1: In the winter, we rely on Mexico for these things because they can grow them in the winter where we cannot, and there are short supply chains for fruits and edges. So that is what we're gonna see. Also, just already, food prices have been ticking up in recent months. Grocery prices are up twenty eight percent since twenty twenty, and they just jumped to half percent over the past couple months, which is the biggest increase in two years. And I know I hate numbers on the radio, but I mean twenty eight percent since twenty twenty at the grocery store. If you grocery shop, if you're the person who grocery shops in your family, you've seen this.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you don't even want to look at what something costs because, oh my goodness, I mean the eggs alone while we were going through that's the bird flu and all that. But just everything seems so much more expensive. It's time for what you watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: The following program is brought to you in living colors, but you watch it in there. Americans love television. They wean their kids.
Speaker 1: On its USA television. Much bet that you've been watching too many of those live television shows.
Speaker 2: Good term.
Speaker 1: Oh, we have a trio of trailers up on our web page at Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty dot com. You can check them out. That's what I'm going to do coming up in the break. Mobland is up there. Good American Family, as well as the name of something that I wrote down and I can't read my own writing pulling it up, the assessment, excuse me, the assessment. So we've got the trailers for Mobland from Paramount, plus Good American Family from Hulu and the Assessment as well. So I'll check those out with you during the break. But what are you watching? I am in the midst of Paradise. I'm loving this. I don't know who was behind this, but all I know is everybody was telling me to watch this. And when I say everybody, I just mean Deborah Mark and Amy King, the two people I'm exposed to the most. Dan Foegelman is the person that is behind this. They call it a political theory, a thriller, post apocalyptic science fiction, which is why I did not pick it up when it first came out. Those are things that I would not have signed up for in my spare time. Political thriller, post apocalyptic science fiction. Check no, check no, check no. However, it is really good. It's about a secret service agent investigating the murder of a former president in this seemingly peaceful community, and it is so well acted. I mean a lot of big names in here. You've got Sterling K. Brown, who I can watch all day. I just want to call him Kevin.
Speaker 2: I do too. I mean, I was just gonna say Devor.
Speaker 1: Part of it is because of my love for this is us and the emotional bond, absolutely seriously, and so it's like he can do no wrong to me in anything, like if they ever try to cast him as a bad guy or and he could be a bad guy in this, I don't know. I'm only two episodes in, but I won't buy it. And that's not being a type cast. It's just like it's an emotional bond that should be respected between the people that watch This is Us and Hollywood. James Marsnan's in it, Julian Nicholson.
Speaker 2: She gets me so angry her character.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I only have one episode left, so I'm not going I'm not so she's spent through some things, you know, So I mean that's where I'm at. I met Oh my goodness, Okay, just just you wait Shannon. So this guy was also this guy who did it the screenwriter, the director, or the producer. He is also behind This is Us as well. He did His screenplays include Cars, Tangled, and one of my all time favorites, Crazy Stupid Love. That's why this this is speaking to me. He also did only Murders in the Building. So this is it. It's one of those shows I always get so frustrated when someone goes, oh, this is a great show. You just got to get four episodes in and then you'll get into it. It's like saying, you know, try cigarettes, you'll love them. You never liked the first one or the second one, but by the fourth you're kind of hooked. But then you're stuck with this habit that you didn't really want in the first place. I want to show to grab me right away and also not kill me. But that was a bad analogy with the cigarettes, and I apologize. But if I've got to wait four episodes, that's too much time for me. I don't want it to be four hours till something grabs hold. And this show Paradise grabs hold right away. I mean within the first few minutes. I was hooked to it. And probably it's because of sterling Kate Brown. Oh yeah, but like I said, just you wait, because every episode you're gonna get very invested. Oh my god, I'm pissed. Yeah, I know. This is how pathetic I am. My husband has plans tonight's going out with a friend and I was like, oh, that's great.
Speaker 2: Tell me. I say, hi, I enjoy your and the same way. And then I'm like, I'll be watching there.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: User, I'm such a loser. Same, same, same, same. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: All right, we will check out the trailers in the break you do as well, Mobland, good American family and the one who's writing I can, I'll pull it up here.
Speaker 2: It's the assessment, all right.
Speaker 1: What you watch on Wednesday continues the trailers up at KFI AM six forty dot com. Gary and Channa page are good American family show coming out on Hulu. It stars Meredith Gray. I will always know her as Meredith Gray, and she is the mother in this dramatization of the whole Natalia Grace saga. This was the adopted girl slash woman, depending on who you want to believe, adopted to an American family. I think sent back at one point to whatever country she came from. I want to say it's Romania, could be Russia, I'm not sure. And then another family adopts her, and then the story or the script's flips to where she's not a child, she's actually a grown woman but severely disabled.
Speaker 2: I actually thought that.
Speaker 1: The documentary that I dove into on Hulu about the YouTube vlogger Mom Grace or Ruby Frankie, I conflated the two stories I thought that was going to be about. I was like, Oh, is this about that adopted daughter who may not be a little girl and maybe a grown woman. I don't know if I want to watch that. And when I started watching it, quickly realized it wasn't about that. I just kind of don't want anything to do with a swindler handicapped want to be child grown woman? If that is the narrative, and I don't I haven't done all the research and connected all the dots there, but I just feel like, if you need attention that badly, I don't want to play in your mental illness for my own entertainment. The other trailer up there is a guarant you're gonna love it if you're a dude show.
Speaker 2: It's called Mobland.
Speaker 1: It's a Guy Richie production and it stars Pierce Brosnan, Tom Hardy, and Helen Mirren. It looks like it takes place in Ireland.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It comes with a badass fixer type character and Tom Hardy.
Speaker 2: It looks really good.
Speaker 1: A lot of action, a lot of guns, a lot of criminal enterprise. Mobland is the name of it, and I do believe that's on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 2: So check that out if you are a dude or if you like dude stuff.
Speaker 1: I like dude stuff from time to time. That one looks like it is going to be a win. And then assessment assessment is I forget where that is playing, but you can probably find it on Apple somewhere. It involves one of the not Mary, Kate or Ashley, but the other one, Elizabeth Olsen doing real good and identifying people and things. Listen, it's the end of the show. But anyway, it looks very well acted. It looks like one of the things that Debra and I were talking about that we don't really watch. Very sci fi, very maybe post apocalyptic vibes going on there, but again, looks very well acted. If you're into that kind of situation where a stranger comes to the door and assesses your family and makes decisions for your family moving forward, sounds very post apocalyptic to me.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.