Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Hot Coffee and the last morning of a much needed vacation.
Speaker 2: Word.
Speaker 3: I'm your host Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 3: Hi, hi baby, Hi. Yeah, we've been in vacation mode for what feels like three years.
Speaker 1: But no, it doesn't. It doesn't even feel like the seven days or whatever it's been. I know it does not. I guess nine days.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to make it longer in my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Thursday was my last day of work and then yeah, so we were off for week. We went away for five sleeps and five days and came home and decided to record in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it makes these pills any easier to swallow, but try well.
Speaker 3: They do say that your gag reflex is a lot less prevalent in the mornings, assuming you have one at.
Speaker 1: All, what what's that?
Speaker 3: Okay, So since the last time we were on MIC together.
Speaker 1: It's been a month, I know, and four days.
Speaker 3: I didn't think something like that. I did a minisode because the list of things to talk about was just stacking up and I needed to whittle away at some of it. And then sitting there, I realized how much I always miss you when I'm doing the minisodes. And then also I realized it's my birthday. So I didn't touch a lot.
Speaker 1: Of it because it was your birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of it I wanted to save for you.
Speaker 1: Ten days ago. I know, damn, and I'm fifty.
Speaker 3: I did that already.
Speaker 1: I didn't that already, still are fifty and ten days.
Speaker 3: But there was some stuff I wanted to save for you. And some of it was like, I don't want to talk about this shit. It's my birthday for I.
Speaker 1: Get okay, Well, didn't we save a lot? Ng I was scrolling through, going.
Speaker 3: It doesn't help that someone shit keeps happening. I know, Well, you know what, just like it was my birthday, is our last vestiges of vacation. So I will defer to you. We will talk about as much or as little as you fucking feel.
Speaker 1: Like, well good, how about that? Yeah? That works. I guess you know what the problem is this morning. My problem this morning is I made the mistake say I know every time I don't take my own advice. I'm sorry for it.
Speaker 3: But just like when you don't listen to series in.
Speaker 1: Traffic, it's different, but okay, it's similar. But I I went down a rabbit hole this morning of the comments on a thread ostensibly about Gavin Newsom, who is I apparently paid someone to write some clever tweets, and it caught my eye because it was like, oh, good on him for paying someone to feed chat GPT with a prompt to sound like Trump and whatever. Give him his own medicine. He's been tweeting and stuff, And it doesn't take away from the fact that he's been doing this right wing podcast tour or the fact that he's clearly signaled that he's throwing trans people under the bus regardless of what. And the hard part about that is the policies in California have not been anti trans, but it's this dog whistle shit that why why right? You know?
Speaker 3: And so the.
Speaker 1: Rabbit hole I went down was basically the notion that you know, Democrats can't be all things to all people, and why do they keep doing this? And then of course the third word is Palestine, you know, and I'm like, here we go, but uh, we're fucked. Just I'm reading you know a lot of young people who are clearly disenchanted with our political system. Please don't think I'm not right, but the logic is so flawed, and so much of it, in fact, flawed enough to say there is none and much of what I was reading. And so that is what like got to my heart this morning. I was like, oh Jesus, two things.
Speaker 3: One, I'm very sorry because I know how sensitive you are. You are such a wonderful empathic person, and you take these things in. Two what did you tell me about reading the comments? Oh?
Speaker 1: I And these were the author is someone who you know, has some interesting things to say, and I didn't know what was going to go there. I actually thought this was an intelligent common section, and that's why I was kind of reading it because it was someone who you know, I loosely loosely follow and I went, okay, hey, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna wait through garbage. And it wasn't waiting through garbage. It was actually a little more disturbing than that, because it's like you know that purism, Yes that I get, and you know, and and they're mocking the whole vote blue no matter who, and I get that too, and trying to say, well, they all serve their corporate over lords. No, no, they all don't. Are their Democrats that do? Absolutely? Are we always targeting the correct people?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, not rarely, not based on what I was reading. So, yeah, so that was what I just was like, Oh my god, this is so heavy and exhausting and it's six in the morning. What am I doing?
Speaker 3: Oh sweeties?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, let's go talk about all of it. Yeah, so I had a cleanse.
Speaker 3: Now, did you assume that it was an intelligent comment section based upon previous interactions with the comment section from this particular author, or you were just assuming that because the author was intelligent, that the comments would also.
Speaker 1: Be I don't know, it was charitable thinking, yeah, from vacation or something. I don't know what it was. I don't generally read comments. I just don't generally. But no, what I've read there has usually been intelligent, and I'm saying it wasn't intelligent. I'm saying. It just hit me in that place of okay, where is this going, because it's that burn it all down kind of mentality, and it's like, okay, but notice what's happening. Oh they're burning shit down right now, you know, And y'all may never recover from this. I mean, I'm at least older than the people that were commenting, but you know, I don't know how some of this ever returns, you know, And we're going to talk about a couple of other things that did sort of come up to me, and then I was like, oh good, it's already in the notes as we proceed. But it was just I'm not a centrist by any stretch, but I am a pragmatist. Yeah. Yeah. And then some days I wonder if that's even a thing anymore, Like, you know what I mean, do we not teach that? Did we stop teaching that? I don't know, pragmatism, pragmatism basically, yeah, basically, And that's not saying you know, it is saying that sometimes we have to take what we get and keep going because you know, what will take its place is worse. And I know that they don't like that narrative, but it's what, you don't have anything better, You don't you have yet to suggest something better, You don't seem to have an answer, and you know, too often I don't see y'all all the time.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like, and this could be my cynicism, I feel like a lot of people of a certain demographic these days, not counting the ones that are actually running for office, Yeah, because there's plenty of those.
Speaker 1: There's plenty who are ye running and doing and yes.
Speaker 3: Not talking about them.
Speaker 1: A lot of them are frustrated too, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: We know several. I feel like they have this mindset of as long as I am out in the streets with my cardboard sign yelling enough times a year, I can spend the rest of my time being like just angry in the comment section because I'm backing up my shit. Meanwhile, I am the last person to say that protest isn't effective, but protest.
Speaker 1: Alone, well that you know, and and and this this let's go right to genocide thing, and you know, labeling Kamalah is like genocide Kamala and genocide Joe.
Speaker 3: It's like, really, what do you.
Speaker 1: Think we have right now? Like, what what do you think this is? This is, you know, whatever you're accusing them of without the diplomacy or the smart people trying to fix things. So if this is not one hundred times worse in their mind, I want to know why. And I can't seem to get that far, like I can't seem to find that bar like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it just occurred to me putting a reductive descriptor ahead of a person's name in order to you know, boil down your little comment, your disruptive comment. Where have I heard that before? Oh?
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, I know. And that's and some of it is chillingly close to trump Ism in terms of just the anti intellectual, anti thanking, anti pragmatism, anti human I would argue purism that, Okay, you're not kidding us anywhere, right, like anywhere from what I can see, I mean, you know, and I'm not talking about like the people that I really admire, who aren't taking back money and who are like doing shit and you know, really speaking up like AOC right, you know, I feel at all. But they're in the game, right, They're in there trying to and are they doing it as Democrats? Or you know, whatever Bernie is at the moment, Like, I know exactly what he is, and he's this. I have admired Bernie Sanders for decades, so leave that alone. But yeah, this is where we are, and we keep losing ground because you know, we've yet to I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's a lack, not a lack, but a great reduction in critical thinking, or at least anything beyond the most surface of critical thinking. And yeah, it's becoming it's sounding like both sides are on the same level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, and they're not. They you know, I did the two wings of the same bird. Yeah. Wow, does that fall short in so many ways? It does? You know, our human beings perfect? God? No, right, you know. Does absolute power often corrupt? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We've known that for a long time too. That's why we want as many checks and balances as possible. Of course, I'd love to see the money the fuck out of politics, you know, in the ways that it has been. But again, we don't get there from here. That's fine, and we don't get there from eating our own I guess that's the thing I'm most tired of is you know, when you are brutally condemning people you actually agree with, something's wrong, right, you know what I mean? Like, Okay, we agree on ninety five percent of things, and there's a couple of things, you know, we just take a more nuanced view of Therefore we can't speak to one another.
Speaker 3: Right, I'd rather be mad than listen or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess anyway, that's that was my morning. So now it's yours as well. Good morning.
Speaker 3: I love you, I love you? Or is there anything else about us that we will talk about?
Speaker 1: I mean, vacation was fun.
Speaker 3: Vacation was fun.
Speaker 1: It was not travel, it was vacation. It was we plopped ourselves down a little house on the Delaware Bay and watched the water and did very little, right. We did a lot of eating. Well, I did a lot of cooking, So we did a lot of eating exactly, you know. Reading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was beautiful, not having anywhere to be relaxing and all day to get there cha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even reading. I wasn't doing it because the weather was not conducive to laying on the beach. But it was beautiful to watch because we had, you know, a panoramic view. We really did to watch the water and that part itself was just meditative and relaxing and agreed lovely and.
Speaker 3: Good beach house, good, good beach o.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. And and you know, it's in a very quiet place that I'm not going to name because I'm going to keep it a quiet place. But it was, Yeah, it was. It was just lovely. And what a great opportunity to just recharge. Yeah, yeah, step away, recharge, not work, put it all aside for just you know a few days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was reading a book by a friend of ours in front of the show Doctor Alfred Martin, about black fandom, called for Us by Us. And there's two reasons why I was reading this book. One because we'll be talking to doctor Martin on the show in a couple of weeks about the book. And two because I'm in that book there because there's a section about black fandom and the Golden Girls, And well, anyone that knows me knows I have a near unhealthy obsession with the Golden Girls.
Speaker 1: Near there's a word, and.
Speaker 3: I low key have since it was on the television in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: We had several rousing rounds of Golden Girls against humanity.
Speaker 3: That was, Yeah, I got cards against Humanity Golden Girls edition, I think from Kathy, probably for my birthdare for Christmas.
Speaker 1: We shuffled the deck a couple of times. So oh it was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We played that lunge on vacation and it was lovely.
Speaker 1: It was fun and funny. I love that game.
Speaker 3: I'm such a fan of Pargigans, Humanity and the Golden Girls. It was the two great tastes. It tastes great together.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: So our rip list is still populated. I chipped away at some of the ones that were more meaningful to me than us, but there's still a few here if you would like to get into them.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, some of these are from a while ago. It's still Chuckman's own was ge a month ago today. Chuckman's own we lost in July. Yeah, you know, feels so good. Was I guess biggest hit that was the jam? Uh Yeah. He died at eighty four, two times grabb me winning musician Rochester, New York and a sleep at his home, which is.
Speaker 3: The best way. And so Chuck Man June. I always think of when I was a kid like that was always on the radio. And you know, when you're a kid, you're always happy, so I associate that song being happy and maybe in your house. Okay, fair, But I just remember dancing around my parents' bedroom when that song came on. And also my dearly departed bestie Christina. She got to choose the hold music for the law firm she were tad and it was Chuck Man Jeongne's greatest hits. So it was delightful every time I called to talk to her at work, and they were always busy, so I was always great with didity did did.
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 1: So the held music was Chuck Manju Yes, interesting and it was the Jail Okay. The next one made me sad, even though I mean, she had a long and wonderful life. But Cleo Lane died at ninety seven. She was a jazz singer. She recorded albums across six decades. Damn yeah. She was also she was an actress and she had a four octave range. Last of the Blonde Bombshells was one of her you know, later movies. She was known for the Mystery of Edwin Druide. I was even on Broadway with that, and you know, she was married to John Dankworth. He was a saxophonist and a bandleader and performed together all over the world, from intimate nightclubs all the way to the London Palladium.
Speaker 3: That's a girl.
Speaker 1: I was always so fascinated by her. I loved her voice, I loved her style. I just yeah, I always admired clearling.
Speaker 3: And was she the one who did you always know that she was black? Or did you find out later?
Speaker 1: I want to say I found out later? Or yeah, yeah, I mean she I mean her name was Clementine Dinah Campbell, by the way. When she was born in nineteen twenty seven in West London. Her father was Jamaican okay, settled in England after fighting in World War One. Her mother was an english woman and clearly had said her mother made sure no one gave her daughter grief over her mixed heritage. If anyone insulted us, she would run at them with a broom work.
Speaker 3: Was it one of those cases where like if you asked her if she was black, she would say, of course, but she wasn't going to say anything.
Speaker 1: I didn't, I guess, I mean it wasn't. Yeah, it was kind of not a thing. Oh, okay, I guess. Or is that the wrong way to say it.
Speaker 3: Well, not note you mean, but I always think, like.
Speaker 1: I don't think yeah, I don't think she ever said I'm not right what I'm saying. I think she was just you know, clear lane.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I mean you're the only reason why I now know who she is. Was okay, But in watching several of her performances that you showed me, I totally understand your love for her.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Yeah, she was no joke.
Speaker 3: She was that girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the.
Speaker 1: Definitely one of the most celebrated jazz singers in England. She made her formal New York debut at Alice Tully Hall in September of nineteen seventy two, but she had informally performed with her husband's band at Birdland in nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: The critic John S. Wilson wrote in the Times that the British had been hoarding what must be one of their national treasures.
Speaker 3: Sounds accurate to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said, They said, what took you so long to try to conquer the United States? She said, we had waited for the Beatle hysteria to die down in nineteen seventy five. In nineteen ninety seven, she was named Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire, and she performed well into her eighties. Yeah, yeah she.
Speaker 3: I loved her in Blonde Bombshells.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was just so good.
Speaker 3: That entire cast actually is funny.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah it was. It was terrific. It was terrific. Yeah. She toured many years, recorded album after album. She collaborated with many folks like mel Tormet right, Charles James Galway. She was among the guests at Symphony Hall in Boston, singing with the Boston Pops as they celebrated their hundredth birthday. She sang the Way You Look Tonight and a duet with Tony Bennett in twenty eleven at a concert at the Palladium marking his eighty fifth birthday. Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was she like one of your divas?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: In fact, that might be how now that I'm remembering, that might be how her name came up at all with us, because I might have asked you, like, who is your divas? Because everyone has their diva, like minus Janet, yours is also share. Some people have Dolly Parton, some Diana Ross And you said share and Cleolane if I'm recalling correctly, And I was like, who's that? And you probably said something like who's Cleolane and looked at me like I sprouted a second head, and then you went down a rabbit hole with me. And now I'm a fan of Leoline too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of them. I'm trying to think who I mean. So was Lucille Ball in a totally different way, Not as a singer obviously, but as you know, a woman that I always admired in show business. Oh yeah, this is a shuff full of books about Lucy. Yeah, but yeah, no share. But Clail Lane just always fascinated me. And that voice and what she could do with that voice was hell yeah yeah because she had yeah, such a range.
Speaker 3: She really did speak speaking of Lucille.
Speaker 1: She was elegant.
Speaker 3: She was speaking of Lucille Ball. I love. There's this video of her later in her career. I'm not sure who the talk show host was. His name was David.
Speaker 1: Okay, because she kept susking maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: And it was the clip of like she's she's up on the stage, she's the guest, and women were standing up to ask questions and the host kept putting his arm around on them or putting his hand on them. So every single time she would be like, take your hands off of David, David, take your hands away, David, take your hands away. I can see her shirt. David put your hand in and I'm just like, damn a. She clocked him every single time and be damn dude, how often do you get away with this when you don't have Lucy olle Ball telling you to keep fucking handsty.
Speaker 1: So right, anyway, cleiar Elaine was ninety seven, and we should all say ninety seven years preston power Cleo Lane. Yeah, what a talent. You know, her husband died I want to say twenty ten and like backstage or whatever that anyway, the night that he died, she went on stage and you know told the audience at the end of that show, damn, the show must go on.
Speaker 3: She probably dedicated the entire performance to.
Speaker 1: Him, I would imagine. But yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Used to say that's how I wanted to go, like perform like really fearce last show and then go off stage and sit down.
Speaker 1: And that's that. Yeah. Hm, there you go.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if I still believe that, right.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to say in the last ten years she had you know, she had retired, but well into her eighties she was still performing. So there we go. Yeah, that's a sad one. That one made me sad, even though again ninety seven. Hey, and speaking of fierce blondes, was she well, okay, Lannie Anderson died she was seventy nine. Yeah, yeah she was. She was, but probably mostly known I mean for w Carape and Cincinnati, That's how I know, and being married to Burt Reynolds and maybe more famously divorcing Burt Reynolds. Yeah, yeah, that was her, you know, big thing. She did do some other stuff, the Jane Mansfield stories, you know, with Arnold Schwarzenegger playing Mickey Haggertey. I'm sorry what Yeah, she played, She played Jane manfe When did that come out in the eighties.
Speaker 3: It was a telefilm that feels like it would be delightfully horrible. I didn't think horrible until you said Arnold Swartz and nigger.
Speaker 1: Well, well yeah, anyway, she had a rare form of it looks like uterine cancer. Yeah, she should battle with that for a while. But yeah, she she you know, played this role where she was like the smartest person in the room, the pretty blonde who worked at the station, who was also not a bimbo, but you know, smarter than everyone else.
Speaker 3: So she and that's I think that's why she stuck out to me as a kid, because she was my She might have been my first example of that tall, statuesque blonde, but because she wasn't stupid, which has become the trope, right, Like, I think that might have influenced the way that I see women in media, you know what I mean. So that was good timing. Okay, I've never been a fan of unintelligent.
Speaker 1: Women, she said of the role of I don't want to play this part because she's just here to deliver messages and is a window dressing. Then the creator, I guess, said well, how would you do it? And she said, let's make her look like Lana Turner and be the smartest person in the room with her character Jennifer refusing to take dictation, type letters or make coffee, as the opposite of the dumb blonde stereotype that blanketed TV back then. Exactly. She started all but one of the show's ninety episodes during its four season run through April of nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was like between her and Jillian Anderson, okay on uh It's a Living Okay, I think that was. I'm glad those were like two of the first uh pretty Blonde I saw on television because like Jillian Anderson's character, like she didn't take no shit from nobody, especially the man.
Speaker 1: What was Jillian Anderson's character?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know her name, but she was one of the fierce KICKI servers on It's a Living.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: At the same time as Cheryl Lee Ralph.
Speaker 1: Of course, there was also like the Sugar Bakers, and that came later.
Speaker 3: Oh, that came later, little bit. But I already had my appreciation of fierce women by that point, which is why I watched Designing Women and the Golden Girls. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean she did counter that and was well played.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, seventy nine yep.
Speaker 3: So from going too soon that not soon enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have one rest in Hell. James Dobson, the motherfucker who was behind Focus on the Family, Yeah, died at eighty nine. Good these about time.
Speaker 3: These are the times that I hope that Hell is as hot as these people.
Speaker 1: Say it is, right and they're all meeting back up, going right. Yeah, he was political, very political in his bullshit. Yeah, against the rights of queer people.
Speaker 3: And yeah, his contemporaries were Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson. That should tell you all you need to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he was pushing all their bullshit into the mainstream. He's one of the founders of all that. So yeah. Yeah, anyway, another one dead good.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly.
Speaker 1: I can't say nothing a bit good, shall we?
Speaker 3: That's good place to take a break before we get into some good news. Yeah, good segue, I think. Okay, all right, so we will be right back with some good.
Speaker 2: News and we're bad.
Speaker 1: We're back, okay. So Keith Herring's life is set to be turned into a TV series, Yeah, by the director of Looking, Andrew Haig.
Speaker 3: A lot of people were like, really, of all the things the man's done, you chose Looking as the example.
Speaker 1: Well, because he has done other things, correct, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I didn't care for Looking much. I thought it was boring, dry and white, but.
Speaker 1: Well, he is gay and he will adapt the screenplay and direct. He will executive produce alongside biographer Gooch and the Keith Herring Foundation. Yes, Herring's work, while profoundly personal, speaks to something deep in us. All his bold line defined a moment in time, yet his art resonates as powerfully today as it did in the nineteen eighties. Yeah. Keith was born in Reading, raised in Goodstown, Pennsylvania. Studied commercial art at Pittsburgh's Ivory School, lost interest preferred instead concentrating on his own art. Relocated to New York City in seventy eight, studying painting at the School of Visual Arts. Yeah. He died in nineteen ninety Yeah, arbaids related complications, only thirty one years old. His art is iconic.
Speaker 3: He's one of my favorite artists period and contemporary artists.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 3: In fact, if you look at my phone, it is a depiction of Keith Herring's dancing bodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, so much work, so so identifiable as his Yes, and so this should be interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm definitely going to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, over one hundred thousand people marched in London's transplus Pride event, making it this is, at the end of July, the biggest trans Pride march in the world. According to The Guardian, The event's theme Existence and Resistance was developed in response to the recent UK Supreme Court ruling that the legal definition of a woman in non discrimination law is based on sex rather than gender identity. Oh, such a rudimentary understanding of biology. It was an emotional and powerful day, the event's co founder, Lewis G. Burton told The Guardian. At a time when the Supreme Court is making sweeping decisions about trans people without consulting a single transperson or organization, which is the way, and when a small, well funded lobby of anti trans campaigners continues to dominate headlines and waste public resources. Here, here our community came together to show what real strength, solidarity and care looks like. The march began at one pm local time on a Saturday and proceeded for just under two miles near the BBC Broadcasting House to the Parliament Square Gardens. Speakers included heartstopper actress Yasmine Finney and activist Caroline Littman, whose transdaughter took her life in twenty twenty two after waiting nearly three years for gender affirming healthcare. WOW London Transplus Pride began in twenty nineteen as an alternative to the city's more commercial Pride March. This year's event gained over forty one thousand additional participants compared to last year's crowd of sixty thousand. According to the BBC, the message was clear, we will not be erased. Our existence is natural, historic and enduring. You can try to take away our rights, but you will never remove us from society. We are a part of humanity and the public will not stand by while harm is done to our community. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 1: The event occurred in the aftermath of a recent Supreme Court case in which For Women Scotland, an anti trans organization May Let's Be Clear, mounted a legal challenge over the definition of a woman under the country's twenty ten Equality Act. After the court ruled that the law's definition of a woman is based on wild logical sex, the UK's Equality and Human Rights Commission said trans women and men should not be permitted to use the public restroom facilities that align with their gender. Alex Palmer Yee from Transplus Solidarity Alliance, one of the groups that marched, said the EHRC's guidance has not provided any additional clarity and actually is going to devastate the lives of trans people who will lose access to essential services and spaces. Yeah, it's all so unnecessary and evil and evil for the sake of being evil. Yeah. Yeah, we could not be a more peaceful group of people. But yeah, but let's keep doing this shit. So huge march folks came together.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this love about finding community.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love the theme existence and resistance. Yep, because how often have we said that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Too often. Cuba now allows trans people to change ID gender markers without requiring surgery. Even though the country fully covers gender from medical care, it's quite hard to access. So they will now allow transgender people to change the gender markers on their government issued identity cards without having to undergo bottom surgery, a legal change long sought by the country's trands and non binary communities. On July eighteen, the country's National Assembly of People's Power approved a law allowing people to change their gender markers without first requiring a court approved document proving the applicants had undergone gender affirming surgeries. Good. They are updating the technology and policies of the nation's record keeping system. Their new civil Registry Code will now recognize unmarried couples, emotional unions or cohabitation agreements providing some legal recognition of various domestic partnerships work. Yeah. In two thousand and eight, it's notable that Cuba became the first Latin American country to provide comprehensive coverage for gender affirm surgeries and related medical care. There is no perfect system, but at least you know that they've removed a barrier to updating ID people sleep.
Speaker 3: On Cuba for being progressive in several ways.
Speaker 1: It's true. Yeah, that's the country I would like to see same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially with your love of vintage cars.
Speaker 1: Right, I'd love that they've kept so many of them going.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: This was incredible reading from the Advocate. Early August, New York opened America's first city funded shelter specifically for trans people.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 1: Yes, the shelter has room for one hundred and fifty people. It is specifically for transgender and gender non conforming people experiencing homelessness. Superators say it's the first of its kind in the nation. It's located in Long Island City, which is a neighborhood in Queen's managed by Destination Tomorrow, a Bronx based LGBTQ plus nonprofit organization. It's called Ace's Place in honor of the late mother of Sean Ebney Coleman, the founder and CEO of Destination Tomorrow. Her nickname was Ace Work. It has room for one hundred and fifty people, increasing the city's capacity to serve transigender non conforming people. They're already required to provide at least thirty shelter beds for this population under a lawsuit settlement, and it houses them according to their gender identity. It will cost the city sixty five million dollars to run Ace's Place through twenty thirty.
Speaker 3: Specifically, New York is required reprovide.
Speaker 1: The opening of Asis Place is an important move forward at a time when trans Americans are under attack. Coleman told Gothamists. We've watched so many other corporations and foundations and businesses just like completely turned their back on the community, and the city didn't do it. Said Coleman, who is trans masked. The city is keeping in line with what New York City has always been. A sanctuary city, a safe haven, but more importantly a trendsetter when it comes to LGBTQ rights. Almost a third of trans Americans have experienced homelessness at some time in their lives, according to a twenty twenty two survey, whether that starts with being kicked out of the home, or discrimination in the employment market, or any kinds of other things. This is a group that faces real challenges in the housing sector. Molli Wassau Park, Commissioner of the city's Department of Social Services, said Coleman said Ace's Place will provide his residence and environment that completely affirms who they are and how they see themselves, which mentally gives you the strength to face any challenge you have. It's an opportunity for you to come home and for you to get loved up on and get all the things that you need to get right back out here and face this world. That I do too, because our shelters overwhelmingly are not safe places for trans and gender nonconforming folks, right, you know, we deal with some horrific stories. Trying to find housing is always a challenge depending on where one is, and you know, and is.
Speaker 3: That because of the organization itself or because of the other residents or combinations.
Speaker 1: There are combinations thereof We just don't have a lot out there, right, you know, specific to us or where we are welcomed and properly affirmed, which also means kept safe. You know, right, yeah, so good? You know, may more follow. There's absolutely a need, especially in this climate, in this current political climate, for you know, trans people facing housing and security to feel.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Let's say this was notable. A GOP appointed judge shut down Texas University's ban on students putting on drag shows. Yeah, that just happened. Reading from LGBT Nation August nineteen, Federal Appeals Court has ruled that West Texas A and M University's ban on student organization drag performances violates the Constitution's First Amendment protections of free speech. The court's Thursday ruling overturns a twenty twenty three District court ruling in favor of the university. Haha, yeah, good, good, because it's crap and it's ridiculous exactly, and good the more time. And that was a jew. It's always notable when you know that. Even there are pointed judges okay, occasionally get.
Speaker 3: It right, right, believe it or not, there are smart Republicans left well or should I say saying Republicans left well, Yes.
Speaker 1: At least in judges who are supposed to be Some of them actually take it seriously that they're supposed to be non partisan right and judge according to the law and the Constitution, not a political agenda, especially the ones that have been there a while. Not so for most of the more newly appointed judges. So the city of Delray Beach, Florida, voted to maintain its Pride themed intersection in defiance of wrong right and his ridiculous administration. After the city's vice mayor gave an impassioned speech about how symbols matter. City Manager Terrence Moore ordered the Pride symbols to be eliminated in the wake of a coordinated campaign by Desantas and the Florida Department of Transportation to remove rainbow intersections across the state.
Speaker 3: Which we'll get into in the cavalcad.
Speaker 1: But efforts led by Delray Beach a vice rob Long resulted in a majority of city commissioners voting to keep the intersection in place, at least for the time being. It holds special significance as it was dedicated to the victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting when it was unveiled in twenty twenty one, and the Palm Beach County Human Rights Council, not taxpayers, paid for the project Maayam. Just a month ago, the city's Pride Seemed intersection was defaced for the third time when a driver in a black pickup truck intentionally left hire marks across the crosswalk. When do we stand our ground and when do we surrender without even a conversation, a Long said during an impassioned speech at a recent board meeting. Long pointed out that the FDOT never issued a formal enforcement letter, nor did Delray officials make any plans to install a Pride symbol elsewhere after plans to destroy the intersection were announced. Beyond its symbolic weight to the community, the Pride intersection has a practical benefit, he said, citing a study across seventeen states that found crashes involving pedestrians or cyclists dropped fifty percent at painted intersections. And yet they're trying to say they're distracting. God, Republicans suck.
Speaker 3: I mean they're distracting. If you're triggered by colors in an.
Speaker 1: Order, well they are, fuck nugget. It's the tingle they get when they're near a rainbow. Well it disturbs them. The study also found that injuries resulted resulting from crashes dropped thirty seven percent and found a notable increase in drivers yielding to pedestrians at painted intersection.
Speaker 3: I believe I brought this up the last time we talked about this. How that would be more safe than a regularly painted absolutely crosswalk, absolutely, because you see it come in at least a dozen feet sooner. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing, then TATA negates the unproven claims from Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy that bride deemed crosswalks are not safe because they distract drivers. Whatever. Let's be honest, we all know that this is not about traffic safety. This is political. Absolutely. It's part of the same culture war climate where symbols of inclusion are targeted precisely because they represent acceptance. It's about erasing the visibility of our LGBTQ plus people in the same time when their rights are again under a direct threat. Correct. He emphasized that the city has a long history of celebrating marginalized communities. That's not just branding, it's part of our civic identity. Symbols matter. They tell our residents, visitors, and especially our youth that they are seen valued and safe here. Removing our pride intersection without commission consensus and without a plan to preserve that symbol elsewhere sends the wrong message at the wrong time.
Speaker 3: Again wait till the cable gade.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this was Delray Beach and you know cool. Yeah, of course you know. Sean Duffy is a former road Rules reality star who is now the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh is that why he was picked for transportation because the show he was in had the word road in it. Yeah, but you knew.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: I didn't see past the reality show star part of it. But then I had to think for a second, how that one thinks. I had to boil everything down to the most base level.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck me, Yeah, so he said, and I quote he issued a social media edict because that's how we do things now, to all US governors to remove crosswalk art on July first. Taxpayers expect their dollars to fund safe streets, not rainbow walks. Again, many of them are not funded with tax dollars. Political banners have no place on public roads. Oh fuck you. Then take down every Trump flag, right, I'm reminding recipients of US Department of Transportation roadway funding, that it's limited to features advancing safety and nothing else. It's that simple home again, It's not about that, obviously, He implied that pride crosswalks are causing chaos on the roads and have led to traffic fatalities. Complete lie. Far too many Americans die each year to traffic fatalities. To take our eye off the ball, he told the far right publication Daily Signal. Roads are for safety, not political messages are or.
Speaker 3: Not true. Look at Spain, look at Italy. I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Duffy didn't specify which percentage of the thirty nine, three hundred and forty five traffic deaths in the US and twenty twenty four were caused by rainbow cross walks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: However, of course, Florida Transportation Secretary Jared Purdue enthusiastically endorsed the federal mandate the day after it was issued. I these jackass bullies. Just God, why does anyone wop them?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you're assuming a lot.
Speaker 1: I am right, you're right, you're I am the five school districts that stand up for trans kids despite the quote education departments funding threat, right, they are not giving up their pro trans policies and good on them. These are five Virginia school districts refusing to revoke their transgender inclusive policies that allow trans kids to use facilities matching their gender identity, even though the current presidential administration has frozen the districts congressionally approved federal education funding over the matter. The school districts Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Louden, and Prince William say that their policies are required by Title N, the federal law prohibiting educational discrimination based on sex. They are correct, but while the previous presidential administration interpreted the laws requiring schools to maintain trans inclusive policies, the current one has claimed that such policies harm cis gender female students because the pedophile in chief gives a fuck about cis gender female students. Well, only when he can diddle them.
Speaker 3: Well, that's all.
Speaker 1: In June, the federal Department of Education ordered the five Northern Virginia school districts to immediately end their inclusive policies, including policies that allow trans students to be addressed by their personal names and pronouns and to play on sports teams matching their identity in a statement announcing the funding freeze, I gotta be illegal, right, what would say? Uh? Yeah, it had generously granted an extension to come into compliance with Title nine and follow federal law. They live in the land of opposites, and this is what happens when you have this many unskilled, being unqualified, ideological idiots running your government. Yeah, the additional time did not result in a fruitful outcome. Yeah, you didn't throw trans kids under the bus like we wanted. You did not deny their humanity like we want. Uh huh, And good on the districts.
Speaker 5: The Virginia districts will have to defend their embrace of radical gender idealogy, ensuring this date the safety of their students.
Speaker 1: Know they are ensuring the safety of all of their students, You, jackle.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't what these asshats are doing to trans folks be the real radical gender ideology?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unclear how many trans students attend the district's schools to begin with, though an estimated zero point five percent of US people above the age of thirteen or trans according to the Williams Institute. Regardless, there is no evidence that trans people are a threat to cis gender girls and women in restrooms exactly. Schools and cities with trans inclusive restroom policies have found no increase in related assaults. At twenty twenty one. Study from UCLA's Williams Institute also found that trans people are four times more likely than sists people to be the victims of violent crime.
Speaker 3: At the hands of who sis people.
Speaker 1: Yep. Nevertheless, the current presidential administration has instructed all schools to rescind their trans inclusive policies and to adopt biology based a rudimentary understanding of biology based definition of the words male and female in all practices and policies related to Title nine. Oh god, Yeah, they're following precedent set by the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit back in twenty twenty Yeah, which was the Gavin Grim case, which we have talked about before. Yes, for family, students and staff concerned about whether or how this decision will impact operations in Alexandria City Public schools, please now our current policies regarding the rights of all students Jews, restrooms and locker rooms and accordance with their gender identity will remain in place.
Speaker 3: Boom.
Speaker 1: According to a letter sent by the school district. You know, this government sanctioned cruelty. It is, well, it serves no purpose, no purpose but hate and division, and you know, perpetuating evil and perpetuating absolutely evil. That's the only thing it serves. And good that there are some school districts who are going to abide by decency and the actual law rather than this ugly nonsense. Indeed, so I'm going to go right to before we take a break. Do you have a fifteen minute phase?
Speaker 3: I do, Well, let's hear about it. So last time in the I think it was, Yeah, in the miniesot I talked about the idea of retroactive fifteen minute phaves. I told you about this. It's like songs that had the playlist existed when they came out, they would have made the list. And I had another one of those this week because I heard this song I think it was when we were in the food line Okay, del War, and I was like, oh my god, I almost forgot about this song. I love this song.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So it is by Nick Jonas, and it began I know it began my eya opening towards the talent of Nick Jonas. I was like, oh, well, I can't hate on this. This is good. So this song is called Jealous, and it is the jam. It is from probably twenty fifteen, sixteen ish, and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed it, and I was singing my ass off in the checkout line.
Speaker 1: Alrighty well, then we're going to go out to the break.
Speaker 3: With Jealous by Nick Jonas.
Speaker 1: We'll be right by yees.
Speaker 3: Like the way is not to let you. I'm started.
Speaker 4: They you won't get to my crazy have lost job, even though I know you love it. Cannot I'm a chean music now puffing mutchest. I'm getting lady days in coming says it's not you ball that day haven't from me, nor disrespect. It's my branch of pea. Hellish. I still can't yell chant your sexy beauto. Everybody wants to taste.
Speaker 3: That's wild. I still can't yell.
Speaker 4: Chant your sexy beautiful everybody wants to taste. That's why.
Speaker 3: I still can't tell.
Speaker 4: I wish you'd be have to pust it out.
Speaker 3: Oh it's just said a little bit.
Speaker 1: Just on me and we're by We're back.
Speaker 3: So that was the chair on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Like the first time I heard it, I was ready to write it off is bubble gummy, And then the chorus came and he hit that note and I was like, oh, you ain't bullshiting. Okay, that note that apparently it's too early in the morning for me to hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't go well.
Speaker 3: I missed it.
Speaker 1: Without further ado, let us plow through the cavalcade of nonsense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this list is long, so feel free to speed through.
Speaker 1: It is long, you know, and some of this I'm just gonna touch on. Wash your hands after for real. Hillary Clinton has warned that the Supreme Court will do to gay marriage what they did to abortion. She is telling queer folks to hurry up and get married, and she's not probably far off.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I always think that mean where it was like a mock up of her autobiography and the author is the bitch that told you so.
Speaker 1: So. She was on the podcast Raging Moderates hosted by Jessica Tarlove and with Steve Galloway, and what Clinton said was American voters and to some extent, the American media don't understand how many years the Republicans have been working in order to get us to this point. It took fifty years to overturn Roe v.
Speaker 3: Wade.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court will hear a case about gay marriage. My prediction is they will do to gay marriage what they did to abortion. They will send it back to the States. Anybody in a committed relationship out there in the community, you ought to consider getting married because I don't think they'll undo existing marriages, but I fear they will undo the national right. I think she's probably correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as she has been frequently.
Speaker 1: Same sex marriage would be protected by the Respect for Marriage Act, a bipartisan measure signed by President Biden in twenty twenty two that requires all states and the federal government to recognize same sex marriages performed in states where they are legal. Zombie laws against marriage equality and more than half the nation are unenforceable because of the Supreme Court's ruling and overfelt boom. The Respect for Marriage Act, introduced after Clarence Thomas said the Court should reconsider decisions including Overfeld after overturning the federal right to abortion prevents state statutes and constitutional amendments banning ay marriage from being enforced on already married couples, but it does not render them entirely obsolete. Alito also voiced opposition to the Supreme Court's ruling and overfeld Shocker, where he and Thomas did dissent in twenty fifteen, and last winter a five page statement explaining the Court's decision not to involve itself in a dispute between the Missouri Department of Corrections and jurors dismissed for disapproving of same sex marriages and religious grounds. Alito wrote that the conflict exemplifies the danger he has long anticipated would come from the ruling, namely that Americans who do not hide their adherents to traditional religious beliefs about Homo's Sexual Condo Act will be labeled as bigots and treated as such by the government. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You don't need a law for that, bitch. Yeah, you know what, right, because fuck y'all anyway.
Speaker 1: Fuck you exactly. They're labeled as bigots because it's not about hiding your adherence to whatever the fuck you believe. It's about trying to enforce it on others. Ding And the fact that this moron doesn't you know, see or accept that is the problem. But you know, I swore, truly, I swore They would never overturn row. I believe that that was just a bunch of rhetoric to keep the fringes of their party happy, right, But they did it, and the fringes of the party are now in the Supreme Court because we didn't listen to Hillary Clinton back in twenty sixteen. So if you are queer and not married yet, y'all might want to do so quickly. Yeah, and you know, I think that that's true. And every faggot that said that they weren't coming for you. Check it. Ah huh, yeah, check it. Because they only started with trans people. That is not where they're going to end. Nope, Nope, enough about that. Let's see. Okay, I don't like this headline. I really don't. It's misleading. So I'm gonna read from the Advocate because these are Democrat basically consultants. You know, it's a centrist think tank, which okay, fine, but these jackgasses tell politicians to stop using terms like LGBTQIA and cis gender. The consulting firm third Way released a list of words it believes democratic politicians should avoid, including LGBTQIA. If you ask this consulting firm, Democrats aren't unpopular because they compromise with Republicans to maintain corporate interests. It's because they talk about the rights of LGBTQ plus people and other minorities too much. Centrist think tank Third Way, which they might as well be fucking Republicans as far as I'm concerned, recently released a list of words it believes democratic politicians should avoid, referring to them as wildly out of touch social positions, meaning basic human rights for minority folk. Yeah, that's wildly out of touch social positions. The list includes okay, neutral community descriptors like LGBTQAA and bipock. Yeah, they don't like those. Quote, oh are you reading from the list, l ship. That's when they don't love.
Speaker 3: What else? Incarcerated people, privilege triggering, othering, microaggression, holding space, body shaming, subverting norm systems of oppression, cultural appropriation, existential threat, the unhoused, food insecurity, housing insecurity, person who immigrated, birthing persons, cys, gender dead naming, heteronormative patriarchy. You know what this sounds like to me? This sounds like a bunch of house faggots on the ports going get from around here. You gonna get us in trouble with massive That's what it sounds like to me.
Speaker 1: They insisted. They are not out to police language, ban phrases, or create our own form of censorship, they said, though its list is eerily similar to Donald Trump's list of banned words. Yeah, his administration issued as a guidance after he signed executive orders removing all references to DEI in the federal government, as well as mandating that the federal government deny the existence of trans people by recognizing only two sexist despite the scientific and medical consensus that sex's a spectrum. Yeah. Third way is the right wing way as far as I can say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, we're not banning language or policing language. We're just strongly suggesting that you don't use these words at all ever, and tap you on the shoulder every time you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a third way, just like Trump take issue with gender neutral parenting terms, with them specifically criticizing bursing person and Yeah, no evidence suggests that supporting legal rights for trans people costs Democrats politically or anything. Uh huh. Yeah. The GOP spent over two hundred and fifteen million dollars on anti trans attack ads about seventy seven dollars for every transperson in the United States, which a post election study showed had actually no impact on voters decisions only eighteen percent of registered voters. In a separate gallop, Pole said, candidate's positions on trans rights is extremely important to them because they probably know a transperson. Yeah. While some Democrats have attempted to distance themselves, yes, they have from the trans community by using the same GOP talking points, which is what these are. By the way, oh about men in women's sports always Many have harshly condemned the strategy is not only cruel, but short sighted and ineffect of. Illinois Democratic Governor JB. Pritzker said during an April party dinner, those same do nothing Democrats want to blame our losses on our defensive black people, of trans kits of immigrants instead of their own lack of guts and gumption. That I'll take that. Thank you. Put your finger in the wind. Yeah, your wishy washy pussy bitches calling them a think tank is is that a knoxymore?
Speaker 3: It's definitely not really appropriate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this was in the BBC. Florida removed rainbow crosswalk honoring the pulse night club victims.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I told you what we get here. Yeah, under the cover of night, under the cover of night. Yeah, this was in Orlando. Mayor Buddy Dwyer said he was devastated by the removal, calling it a cruel political act on social media. It is This crosswalk not only enhanced safety and visibility for the large number of pedestrians visiting the memorial, it also served as a visual reminder of Orlando's commitment to honor the forty nine lives taken.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Carlos Giamo Smith, an openly gay state senator, said the Florida Department of Transportation has ripped the rainbow colors off of this city crosswalk in the middle of the night. Yeah. He said the department illegally vandalized city property without providing the City of Orlando notice or getting their approval. I cannot believe the DeSantis administration has engaged in this hostile act against the City of Orlando. I believe it.
Speaker 3: Oh you can't.
Speaker 1: In response to that video, to Santus wrote on Twitter, we will not allow our state roads to be common for political purposes. That's exactly what you're doing, exact back gas.
Speaker 3: By painting over it. That's what you did.
Speaker 1: Is are words ever going to mean anything again? And in these United Divided State ever? Ever again? Are we ever going to return to like words meaning what they're supposed to mean, I mean.
Speaker 3: When we speak and write them. Sure? God, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is just ugly more ugliness. It happened, and it happened there at the Pulse Memorial, which is disgusting. It's disgusting. It is disgusting, and calling it political doesn't make it less disgusting. On the upside, protesters have restored it twice so far. They colored it in with chalk, even because they called it cowardly and it is right.
Speaker 3: And they use chalk because paint will be considered vandalization.
Speaker 1: Realize that one I do believe, okay, but chalk is considered art.
Speaker 3: And I would say, add a nice little top coat.
Speaker 1: Orlando, Yeah, Orlando locals discovered the state had painted over the memorial crosswalk created to honor the victims of the fatal event, and in response, a group of roughly one hundred people began restoring its rainbow colors using chalk. Love the pictures of this right. We have endured decades of state sanctioned discrimination. This is the Nadine Smith, executive director of Equality Florida, which did hold a peaceful protest out the site, and like every attack before it, this act is designed to spread fear, disspirit us, and push us back into the shadows. Yep, that's what they want.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Just as we did in the hours after pulse, our community will come together, look out for each other, and raise our flags higher. We refuse to be erased. We will not let hate win good. Please don't.
Speaker 3: Now. The only thing about that is you use chalk. You have to keep doing it. So I hope that they are steadfast in their response.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where we figure out how Orlando can repaint it right. Yeah, they're calling their efforts proactive again words that mean nothing, nothing at all. It was ridiculous. I really, I really do continue to hope love wins because these people are unhinged and so far out of step with young people. Okay, let's see.
Speaker 3: So the immortal Bard Snoop Dogg ha ha, I'm kidding. Recent on some hotep ass podcast said basically that there shouldn't be LGBTQ plus representation in kids movies. Quote, they're going to ask questions do we have to show that? Now? The film in question was light Year, which we've talked about on the show, which was the spin off film about Buzz Lightyear and his partner voiced by Uzo Aduba, her character. In one scene where they're flashing through time, it shows her and her presuming the wife or female partner, and they have a two second kiss and it shows that they have a baby together. Yes, And he's talking about how he was at the movie with his grandson and his kid was like, oh, there's two women. How can two women have a baby? And all he would say is just watch the movie and how why do we have to see that? Because it's kids movies and they're going to ask questions and what am I supposed to do then fucking answer them?
Speaker 1: And he said he doesn't have the answer. Yeah, yeah, and true women can love each other and you know.
Speaker 3: Right, And that just shows how little you actually think a about queer people and be about women that you're not fucking because if you had any kind of social conscience at all where it related to the LGBTQ plus community, you would have already made answer for the kid.
Speaker 1: Sure, people who love each other sometimes raise children together exactly period, Like it's not hard, but truly not hard.
Speaker 3: You're a lazy bitch, and we want to talk about you know, he wants to get hung up on things that are appropriate for children, like I've seen. I was looking at some of the lyrics to his songs, and there's one particular song, just the one song I read about him running trains on women and uh, never referred to any of the women in the song in any way other than bitch. He talked about being a pimp and selling this one girl's pussy fucking another dude's sister, and it's all on the same four minute, three minute span. But a two second kiss and a frame or two of two women and a baby is too much for children and causes questions.
Speaker 1: I wonder how does he explain his lyrics to his grandchildren, you know, hmm.
Speaker 3: Like put my dick on your forehead so it stays on your mind, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that. I guess he's got a problem explaining.
Speaker 3: That he featured on a song where the chorus was bitches ain't shit but hosing tricks. They lick on the nuts and suck the dicks, so you know.
Speaker 1: But that's okay. Yeah, his grandchildren, Yeah, that's he can explain that, you see. Yeah, he just can't explain that, you know, two women might be in love and raising a child.
Speaker 3: Well, love and women are not two words that go together in his.
Speaker 1: Well, acube, that's the bigger problem. Yeah. So I'm just gonna say, uh, this next one, Trump you know, ordered an authoritarian takeover of Washington, d C. Sending in the National Guard. This should scare the fuck out of all of us. If you know, weaponizing the military the military against US citizens should never be okay, and you know, having it happen at all not okay. Watch them keep doing it in red states where you know they'll get it. People used to it before that anyway. Yeah, this is this is fascism, This is this is Nazi shit, this is this is yeah mm hmm. The only upside lying to you about the crime in DC. We're absolutely lying. It's at its lowest point in thirty years, down thirty five percent in twenty twenty four and another twenty six percent so far in twenty twenty five. Everything he's saying is a lie about it. Yeah, he is airing political grievances. That's what this is about. He's tied this takeover to cultural issues, railing against sanctuary cities, said quote, that's why they want men playing in women's sports. That's why they want transgender for everybody, everybody transgender. Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only upside I can think of is if his little birthday parode is any indication at least we won't have to worry about the unified sound of jack boots, because no one's going to be marching in unison.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's hoping, Here's hoping.
Speaker 3: That's all I got. Well, bringing law and order to comproas heavily populated by black people.
Speaker 1: Yep. He also said the Smithsonian should focus on America's brightness, not how bad slavery wash. He confirmed White House lawyers will go through the museums they're conducting a review of the Smithsonian museums, and expressed frustration over the portrayal of dark parts of America's history, including slavery. Yeah. Uh huh. Quote, the Smithsonian is out of control. Where everything discussed is how horrible our country is, how bad slavery was, and how unaccomplished the downtrodden have been. Wow. Nothing about success, nothing about brightness, nothing about the future, Trump wrote on his own social media platform, but we are not going to allow this to happen. And I have instructed my attorneys to go through the museums and start the exact same process that has been done with colleges and universities, where a tremendous progress has been made. This country cannot be woke, because woke is broke. We have the hottest country in the world, and we want people to talk about it, including in our museums.
Speaker 3: But museums are dedicated to the past, not the future.
Speaker 1: That's what they are. They want to make sure. The White House wants to make sure that the museums reflect the unity, progress, and enduring values that define the American story.
Speaker 3: Oh have you seen there's this children's cartoon that's been floating around. It's just a little clip, and it's like Christopher Columbus and talking about slavery and how it's better than being killed, right, And basically the whole point of the cartoon is that slavery wasn't that bad? Local kids cartoon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, it was just back in twenty eighteen, I'm sorry, twenty seventeen, when he visited the National Museum of African American History and Culture, where he referred to the museum as incredible, done with love, and a truly great museum. He praised abolitionist figures Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglas. He even recounted a story he'd learned about a runaway slave. He called the tour of the museum a meaningful reminder of why we have to fight bigotry, intolerance, and hatred in all of its very ugly forms. Now his face. Yeah, out of this phase. The review is said to be focused on the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Natural History, the National Museum of the American Indian, the Mathsonian American Art Museum, the National Era and Space Museum, the National Portrait Gallery, and the Hishorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.
Speaker 3: M hm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's signed an executive order back in March directing Jit Evans and Interior Department Secretary Doug whatever to remove improper ideology from all areas of the Smithsonian. Wow, wow, yeah, yeah, this is right out of the Nazi playbook, folks. Yep, there's a whole month.
Speaker 3: There's a few movies, dystopian movies about when the government starts sanctioning art.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, how about it? Yeah, how about it?
Speaker 3: Dystopia looked cooler in the brochure.
Speaker 1: The State Department removed anti LGBTQ plus violence from the Human Rights Report draft. They scale back criticism of human rights abuses in Al Salvador, Russia, and Israel. Yeah, they removed all references to violence against our people and gender based violence in drafts of their much anticipated annual report on international Human rights. Uh huh, Yeah, it's going to be not worth the paper. It's printed on period period. Okay, so know it in advance because that's where we live. Let's see. This one is especially chilling. The DOJ, the Department of Justice in my country, demands every writing or record of trans youth care from hospitals. God bless the hospital that are standing up against this nonsense. And you really know it is specifically and strategically designed to intimidate healthcare providers and health care institutions into abandoning their patients.
Speaker 3: And potentially killing them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. The Justice Department asked nearly two dozen hospitals around the country to provide extensive personal information about young patients who have received gender affirming care. They issued a subpoena to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in June, a copy of which was made public this week in court filings. According to The Washington Post, the subpoena requests that the hospital provide a wide range of documents, including documents sufficient to identify each patient by name, date of birth or as a security number, address, and parent guardian information, who was prescribed to purbity blockers or hormone therapy WOW. It also asked for the billing records and insurance claims for underage patients receiving gender affirming care, training materials for billing encoding practices regarding gender affirming care, the personnel files of employees who prescribe medication or who engage in billing activities, and every writing or record of whatever description made by doctors regarding gender affirming care. It's sent more than twenty subpoenas, it announced in July. CHOPS, of course, filed a legal challenge under seal seeking to limit the subpoena by The filings recently became public because the Department of Justice, of course opposed the right to seal the case. Wow, they don't care how many of us die. They want USTAD. Of course, the co founders and co directors of the Gender and Sexuality Development programm at JOB warned that if the hospital was forced to comply with the subpoena, that would likely prove traumatic for program patients. No shit. They noted that receiving gender affirming care, whereas a comprehensive psychosocial evaluation, including the disclosure of intimate and extremely sensitive personal details, knowing that prosecutors and investigators would become privy to that information and possibly made available to the public, will be experienced by patients and their parents as a tremendous violation of their privacy by their healthcare providers, by CHOP and by healthcare facilities in general. You know, people better ask if they want this happening to them about whatever they've ever received health care for. Do you want it scrutinized by people who don't think you deserve it? Because that's where we're going. By the way, then it's just you know the ideology of I don't know, if you're past a certain age, maybe you don't get healthcare. I don't know. I don't know how this works. I don't know where it ends, because we need to live in a nation where it never happens.
Speaker 3: Is it wrong that the image that's jumping to mind is that, you know, because the optics wouldn't be good for them if they actually used gas chambers and mass graves and mowed people down. So they're doing it with the stroke of a pen and taking away people's health care. Like, is that wrong that that's the image that I'm getting.
Speaker 1: Well, not just trying to take away their house care, but you know, punish anyone who provides it, right, and you know, potentially out them to the public to you know, then sick their their basket of deplorables on innocent trans people and their families. Yeah, you know, and you know it's meant to have a chilling effect, and it has. Hospitals have been ending or scaling back programs providing gender firm and careac to those under the age of nineteen since the beginning of this year. Uh huh, Yeah, more than a dozen hospitals. It did so after the subpoenas went out. Jennifer Levi, the senior director of trans and Queer Rights at glad Law, called the subpoenas a breastakingly invasive government overreach, no kidding. It is specifically and strategically designed to intimidate healthcare providers and healthcare institutions into abandoning their patients exactly. Officials have previously described subpoenas as part of an effort to determine whether any laws have been broken and to provide leverage for negotiation with healthcare providers to provide transgender care. Fuck you for all of it. The subpoena requests records as far back as January first, twenty twenty, which is prior to Trump's anti trans executive order and any other ban on gender firming care. Yeah. When reached for comment, the GoJ referred them to its July statement Medical and this is the statement. Medical professionals and organizations that mutilated children in the service of a warped ideology will be held accountable by this Department of Justice, said Pam Bondy. God help you all for the blood you have on your hands. So I have the stomach for one more tiny bit of cavalcade. Pete Buddha. Judge decided it was a good idea to have this shall we say nuanced conversation about trans folk in sports. You know what I want from these motherfucking cis white democrats. I want you to keep me out your mouth, right. I want you to learn how to set trans people have always existed, and if you have questions about their existence, you should talk with them. I refuse to engage in this political distraction, this manufactured right wing crisis. I refuse to participate. Go ask trans people. That's the only way I think I'm going to appreciate them speaking about me without me, because this nuanced bullshit has to stop. Yeah, because from where I sit, you're no fucking better right when you decide to discuss me without me. Right, I'm gonna leave it there, and we're going to take a break. I'm going to go eat some steel wool and gargle with lie and then come back and pop some culture.
Speaker 3: Okay, please don't really do that.
Speaker 1: We'll be right. We're back. We're back, Good God, Thank.
Speaker 3: Goodness for television.
Speaker 1: You know, I saved one little piece for pop culture because Margaret Chow. Let Dean Kane know you'll never be white. I'm gonna leave it there, google it, but yeah, Dean Kane has decided to join Ice and Margaret put him in his place.
Speaker 3: Well, let's not forget the follow up.
Speaker 1: Always wong, never white, always wong, never right, And that's how works. You got to lessen baby. But you know, that's what happens. That's what happens, right, It's the Clarence Thomas of it, all right.
Speaker 3: At least people know who clar Thomas is.
Speaker 1: Well that I'm gonna convince you I'm one of you, even though I know you secretly, No I'm not. And you know whatever, I'm gonna still benefit.
Speaker 3: That's the most he's been talked about in about twenty years.
Speaker 1: I know, right, it's disgusting behavior, truly, but yeah, God bless Margaret always. So let's talk about what we've been doing. Yeah, we watched a little TV.
Speaker 3: Definitely had the time to watch some TV.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 3: We finally finally saw the Luther Vandros documentary. That was good, Luthor never too much, It was good.
Speaker 1: I mean, and it touched on his sexuality. I mean, that was someone you have to again context, right, would he have been as revered you know as a romance singer, right? Love song singer?
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: If they knew he'd you know, liked the dick. I don't know, probably not. I was coming up in.
Speaker 3: That era and oh at the time, at the time, yet no, probably not. But then so many of the women who throw their panties in concerts would have been surprised at who they were throwing them at.
Speaker 1: Well that that.
Speaker 3: Hell they threw panties at Liberaci.
Speaker 1: Exactly was That's who is That's exactly who was in my mind. But it was good. I thought it was well done, you know, certainly deserving of a documentary. Good to sit and you know, remember how much of an impact he had and how much of his music permeated the culture.
Speaker 3: And how long he been in show business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they did, you know, talk about his battle with uh weight and damage you know, happened throughout his career. Yeah, well done and worth watching.
Speaker 3: Definitely, And it definitely re cemented my love for his music absolutely, And I think you were like, wait, oh, he's sang that song too. Oh I love that song.
Speaker 1: There were a couple I forgot it with him. Yeah, you know, it was like Spandau Ballet or somebody like I didn't you.
Speaker 3: Know luth E Vanros's voice was definitely velvet dipped in chocolate and while we were on vacation. I do believe Ruben stuttered, uh might have been Hasberry Park did uh Luther Vanrels tribute concert? Really And I'm like, that's someone. That's someone who could do that, Like when Deborah Cox locally, right when I heard Deborah Cox was playing the Whitney Houston role in the Bodyguard, I was like, yes, I see that same thing with Ruben Stutter. Yes, you have the voice for that.
Speaker 1: There you go, Yeah, there you go. You watched or tried to watch or something. Bo Is Afraid? What is that?
Speaker 3: Finally?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Bo Was Afraid is the most recent film from acclaimed director Ari Astor, who made Hereditary, which is one of my favorite horror movies, Midsummer which I never want to see again. It was very disturbing. You had you were in bed with COVID, so you missed all this, But yeah, I watched that movie was very disturbing.
Speaker 1: I know you were watching everything. You don't get to watch when I'm awake.
Speaker 3: Get at I arguably bo Is Afraid is ari Astor's biggest budget project just based on the cast.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's centered around Joaquin Phoenix also there was Nathan Lane. I can't even think of all the major actors that were in this cast. It was three hours, and by the end of it, my response to it was what it was very weird, very stylized, was well made film. The first hour is great. The next two I wish I could get back.
Speaker 1: Could have been an email. So it should have been a one hour movie. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Maybe it could have gone as long as two, but three was much much.
Speaker 1: There was much that you know that over indulgence and a good editor. That's the difference between that and potentially great. Yeah, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And and you know, like I said, the first hour is great, like Joaquin Phoenix's characters will be very paranoid, and so all these things were.
Speaker 1: Happening, and nobody does the paranoid like Juaquin phoen for real.
Speaker 3: Though, And like the way it was done is like, you know, everyone's coming at him and everyone wants him and and I was just praying that this is all in his head. And for lack of spoiling, I'm just going to leave it that I wish the movie had gone where I expected it to. It would have been a better movie.
Speaker 1: So recommend. Don't recommend that that sounded like a warning. Yeah, if you have nothing better to do, it's.
Speaker 3: Not so much to recommend as if you feel the need to see it for yourself, go ahead experience it. But yeah, you'll you won't forget it. I'll say that.
Speaker 1: I won't forget it because I won't say it exactly not my.
Speaker 3: Key, not for you, as it were. Ari Astor is brilliant in that he doesn't just do like scary horror. He delves into like the themes of human emotion. So it's a well made film.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm going to point out I have not had a cigarette for a month. I just felt like I would say that. Hold on, yeah, before we talk about indulgence and vice and everything. We discussed the next one. I just want to point that out.
Speaker 3: And you deserve the Applaus.
Speaker 1: Now I have you know, I've hit I have a mint vape with some nicotine in it. I don't I have not completely purged of nicotine, right, but I don't inhale it, I you know, absorb it and not nearly as often as I was smoking. I've been very productive. Yeah, yeah, but I all that oxygen to my brain and even when I'm enormously frustrated with current events. Uh still no cigarettes. I figure it's not going to help.
Speaker 3: Good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was ready. I feel I feel ready. My My biggest reservation was that the last time that I quit for three years, the brain fog never went away, and it was made it very difficult to do my job. And at a point where it got particularly challenging, I went and bought a pack of cigarettes and like halfway through the first cigarette, oh there, I am like immediately, and what we kind of deduced it's we're figured out, and I think now accurately between my doctor and my therapy partner, was that you know, I was not medicated enough for my ADHD and therefore was using nicotine as the stimulant for my brain. Right, And it's how I wound up with an enjoyable cocaine habit for a while trying to self medicate. And when we looked at it through that lens, I went, oh right, So adderall has been a game changer for me. Slows down my mind, helps me get my notes done, helps me do my job, kept me employed. But it also has the added benefit of I'm not missing the you know that heavy dose of nicotine that I probably was self medicating with all these years. Right, So yeah, it's been a good, solid month and I'm not I'm not having gravings again. You know, I know that the vape is there, but I don't. I don't touch that nearly as much as right, you know, the pack a day of a smoker adderall is a wonder drug, no shit. So anyway, I just thought i'd bring that up before we talk about Fit for TV the Reality of the Biggest Loser. Yes, I don't know how they're connected, but I'm connecting them. I thought it was really well done.
Speaker 3: It was, and it filled in some gaps because I watched like very little of the first season and then nothing else anyone on for another fifteen season. Sixteen seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was sixteen seasons long, I believe, and I know I didn't watch it. Probably I watched maybe a third of that because I don't know. I was fascinated by it for a bit. I don't think Jillian Michaels would agree with us. She didn't look great. Knew she didn't the end of that. What was your takeaway, I'm curious.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of it is the reason why I stop watching the show because at the time that this show was on and at its most popular, I was full time in dance. So I'm very I was very in tune with the body and how it works. And I'm watching this show and they're putting these people who whose weight debilitated their mobility to a certain greater or lesser degree, depending on the individual, and they're putting them through these rigorous workouts that you can't go from zero to one hundred like that, like a person at a more average weight. You can't go from zero to one hundred like that and not expect there to be you know.
Speaker 1: Physical realm of right. I expected more of a salacious thing, and it wasn't really. I mean, some of it was questionable. Some of it, you know, there were people who felt exploited and or you know, felt like the metabolism was fucked afterwards, right because it was.
Speaker 3: Well, because again, the level of workout that they were giving these people is not typical for anyone, right, And it's damn near impossible to maintain on your own.
Speaker 1: And wasn't it like burn a minimum of six thousand galleries a day? Yeah, well, eating to the trainers somewhere around eight hundred or a thousand galleries according to the doctor, right, you know, more normal levels. And that was an interesting kind of counterpoint, was the doctor Huzanga. I think was the his reservations and his input and his you know, and.
Speaker 3: His fight with the producer would listen to him because you could make a good TV show or you can do things right and healthy insane. You can't do.
Speaker 1: Both, yeah, apparently not. It was really worthwhile. And I think I meant more as because you you know, certainly had struggled with weight problems as an adolescent dance you know, melted those pounds if nothing else, right, true, but the whole idea, because you know, I grew up. I mean I have struggled with my own weight, but struggled is h. I've been conscious of my own weight my whole life. Right. My mother was someone who was on weight watchers, you know, perpetually. She was a big lady. Not when she was young, but after having my brother, after her first pregnancy and subsequently and then she she lost something like one hundred pounds right before she got pregnant with me while she was on a bill, which I should not know, but I do right, she would tell everyone it's a little effective, right, But I mean I watched her, you know, with the I don't French cut green beans were a big thing, and tuna and red wine vinegar as a salad dressing, and tab and fresca. That's how I figured out I liked fresca, but you know, perpetually, and so was my sister as a result, you know. And I saw my mother with the candies that were really amphetamines and et cetera, you know, trying to to I don't know, meet the ideal, right, which just never happened. So that's why I was really careful about that ship when I raised a daughter, because I didn't want her to do that to herself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my, my, The women in my family went through various degrees of weight loss journey. Like my mom was on the diet for a significant portion of time that I remember. That's when you were like except for tab. I was like, do you have the same mother? Like tuna and boiled chicken bread?
Speaker 1: Right? That was a but that was all a weight watcher stuff.
Speaker 3: Cottage cheek.
Speaker 1: Cottage cheese was a big one. Yeah, I liked cottage cheese. I you too, are broken I didn't feel broken about it, especially cottage sees and pineapple like that was her every fucking.
Speaker 3: Cottagechees and pineapple coindag cheese and peaches. And that was when she discovered her affinity for diet.
Speaker 1: PEPSI right, right, we had tab in the house and fresco when I was little, and then you know, whatever turned into diet cooked.
Speaker 3: My one sister did the diet pills for a while.
Speaker 1: It's a thing, it's you know, it explored that whole thing, you know, that whole idea if I'm just thin, my life will be better. I mean, that's not how this works.
Speaker 3: Well because they don't give them any kind of therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and working in addiction. That was the one thing as we watched it we kept talking about was like, if you don't address the underlying shit right it, you know, it's not going to be a long term solution.
Speaker 3: Right. How many times did I yell the word therapy at the television?
Speaker 1: Well several than I did, and I'm a therapist. Yeah, they didn't do that, And you know, at least one of the contestants talked about that. You know, there were things they could have introduced that they did not and that's one of them, Like, why do I have this relationship with food?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Right, why am I, you know, binge eating at too in the morning? Why is this happening?
Speaker 3: Because when you go through a significant change like weight laws, like plastic surgery, because I was thinking about shows like Extreme Makeover the original version or the Swan or even if you like had long hair your whole life and you cut it, You're you're going through a significant change and there's bound to be trauma attached to the things that you are shedding or changing that gone unaddressed. You're just creating. You're either creating new problems or magnifying the old ones or both.
Speaker 1: Right, and changing your eating should kind of be a lifelong thing exactly, because diets, I mean they might work in the short term, but you know, if you're going to return to whatever level of eating right, it's a difficult addiction to deal with because you have to eat right. You can't give up food. You can't just abstain.
Speaker 3: It don't work that way.
Speaker 1: You know, you have to work with the relationship with food exactly. It doesn't work that way. You really have to work on that relationship and figure out the whys. You know, if you're eating is even disordered, you know, as it often but not always is, you know. And we don't do a good job either of saying you're gonna be a little bigger than some folks. You're gonna always be, you know. But as long as you're healthy, you're fine. You don't have to. It's the aspiring to be, you know, a ridiculous size or a ridiculous weight that is not even healthy for your body. And towards the end, they did show the one girl who like apparently they all gasped because she looked in her exit and she took it to an extreme.
Speaker 3: I know, at one point for me what people refer to as my best dancing shape i'd ever been. That was when I was undergoing what I call the creative poverty diet, where I'm dancing all the time, all day, seven days a week, but no one's really paying me, so I'm not really eating.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But while I don't recommend this diet, it.
Speaker 1: Works well, I mean right for weight, but right for health, right or you know, sustained energy or any of those things. Yeah, and that's just it, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not going to pretend I didn't enjoy my time as a thirty two waist. Sure, I get that, and my clothes options were a lot cuter.
Speaker 1: I get that, but not sustainable. Right, I was a thirty I was down as I was a thirty one for quite a while, but then I was a thirty three and thirty three for a very long time. Thirty three to thirty four was was. I was very thin and at that point and under two hundred pounds. I'm six feet tall, right, you know, And and that was a big boned Well that's big boned in my family, Like my frame is not small.
Speaker 3: I was at like one eighty six.
Speaker 1: That's low for year six two, I know.
Speaker 3: And that's what I was going to say. When you're a certain height, right, it don't look good.
Speaker 1: Well, And I was otherwise.
Speaker 3: Healthy, like I was working out, like I said, I was dancing all the time. If I could have just.
Speaker 1: Eaten more, yeah, at the point where I was about one to eighty, I looked emaciated, right, I didn't look healthy. I looked too thin, right, yeah, And yet the charts would say that's a healthy wait for.
Speaker 2: Me, right.
Speaker 3: So when I finally started making some money, it was like.
Speaker 1: And then I started taking estrogen and all about.
Speaker 3: Sworld, I started making a little money. It was like, okay, now with my job is to eat all the things that I didn't get to eat during that time.
Speaker 1: And well, right, and I think it is about balance, and I think many of us eed our feelings.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And again it's not easy, but this is you know, this is the documentary kind of about one of the extremes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and The Biggest Loser was an extreme.
Speaker 1: It was an extreme and ultimately not you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I refuse to watch that show because it was like, it's obviously not healthy for these people, no matter what they might think.
Speaker 1: Right, it's not that weight loss can't be healthy. It's not that certainly exercise can't be healthy. But it was the again the extreme.
Speaker 3: Right, that you can't maintain you can't keep that workout regiment, right.
Speaker 1: Because they were working out like six, eight, ten whatever hours day. That's not sustainable.
Speaker 3: There's Marvel actors that have a less rigorous workout regimen than.
Speaker 1: That, right, And you know, and that's the thing. We have these ideals that are not possible. So it's no wonder so many of us have body image issues, but for real for real. It was good. It was worth watching. Recommend We watched the new four seasons.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we binged that whole thing in one day.
Speaker 1: We did the whole thing. So eight episodes, one season based on the Allen Alda Carol Burnett movie. Audio made a cameo.
Speaker 3: Carol did not, No.
Speaker 1: But he did, bet Allan Olda did because he wrote it. I'm sure with the scheduling thing, yeah, but he wrote the four seasons, which was famously a movie with you know, Alan Alda and Carvernett and others and Sandy Dennis, who neither one of us can stand. Kind of not but anyway, it was interesting.
Speaker 3: The cast is fabulous, well done. Steve Carrell, Steve Carrell, will Forte, Coleman, Domingo, charming as a hell. I mean, of course he is. And the actor who played his Italian husband, I didn't know who he was.
Speaker 1: I didn't know him, but I love him. Great character, great portrayal. It was really well done. The first season was was worth watching. They left with a cliffhanger and apparently there will indeed be a second season.
Speaker 3: So and halfway through a like, why couldn't this have just been a movie? And then it occurred to me how much in depth they get into the relationships of each couple, right, So see, I'm like that's why.
Speaker 1: Right. So as a series, there are eight episodes, eight thirty minute episodes or mostly thirty minute. I don't know if the last one was a little longer or whatever, but eight like half hour episodes basically, and two episodes per season. So we do spring, Summer, Fall, and then winter, right, and I look forward to season two. I enjoyed it. I think it's worth watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is the argument for making things a series as opposed to a one off movie, that you do get to get more in depth to the characters and relationships.
Speaker 1: And agreed. Yeah, So we did binge to other documentaries this weekend. The first was Sunday Best The Untold Story of Ed Sullivan, which was amazing, wasn't it good?
Speaker 3: And that was you You were like, let's watch this.
Speaker 1: Because it focused on you know, Ed Sullivan chose all of the acts for the twenty three years of his show, which and I told you I remember, you know, being in my footy pajamas watching Ed Sullivan on Sunday night, right because it was on until nineteen seventy one, so I actually have memory of the Odd Sullivan Show in color. But he was always supportive of black talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they kept trying to tell him to stop putting so many negroes on TV, and he was like, oh, fuck you, I'm gonna have more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he basically did you know, and had that sustainability all the way up until nineteen seventy one, which was incredible.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have Gladys Knight and the Pips, now what that's four right?
Speaker 1: He started it in the forties. Yeah, the big the on set of television, he was there and he did then you know, Harry Belavante and little Stevie Wonder and yeah, there's so many.
Speaker 3: So many major cultural moments happened on the Ed Sullivan Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mm hmm. Bill Robinson bow tangles. Yes, Bill Robinson was on the show.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what they talked.
Speaker 1: He was part of his funeral and yeah, they were friends.
Speaker 3: And in the early parts of The Ed Sullivan Show, he gave a platform to a lot of former vaudeville performers.
Speaker 1: Because that was his his people, they were his people. Yeah, and he he said television was just suited to vaudeville performers, you know, the variety acts.
Speaker 3: We need to go back to variety shows.
Speaker 1: I agree, But that's what happened in like the early seventies, because I remember it was, you know, the Joey Heatherton Show, and the Tony Orlando and Dawn Show, and Sonny and Cher and oh god, so many others like it became a big thing about the time as Sullivan was losing ratings. It's kind of like the old the Old Man.
Speaker 3: The last time I remember.
Speaker 1: It's been seventy when his show stopped.
Speaker 3: Maya Rudolph had a one night only variety show special on TV. This was probably at least ten years ago, and I remember thinking, this is so wonderful. Why don't we do this all the time? And I was praying that this was going to be like a recurring thing this one time.
Speaker 1: I mean, Carol Burnett truly was a variety show. Yeah, same thing, you know, and she started in the sixties. I love the Carol Burnette Show. But you know, so there were all these He was the only game in town for a long time. Yeah, and he had audiences of what was that, thirty five to fifty million. Yeah, because when you think about, you know, just a few channels, and.
Speaker 3: That's what I was trying to do when I was producing the etcetera show, etcetera.
Speaker 1: Exactly was variety.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it really good, really interesting, well done. It was television history.
Speaker 3: And then again, like I said, I didn't realize how many major cultural moments moments happened on the.
Speaker 1: Exultation absolutely absolutely yep, worth absolutely worth the watch on Netflix, Yes, and the last one on Netflix. God damn it, I know left us with questions the truth about Jesse Smallett. Yep, how about it.
Speaker 3: I might have to take back some of the mean things I have said about mister Smollett on this show.
Speaker 1: Not as cut and dried as we kind of assumed jumped on that bandwagon. Then it was there is some evidence or at least certainly questions and very legitimate questions about his story actually being factual, and the Chicago Police creating.
Speaker 3: The narrative which they have history you're doing.
Speaker 1: And and the brothers seeking to capitalize on the moment.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, it was like the evidence to refute his story came out way quick.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but it was right and then got kind of pushed aside and and the video, there's there's ten seconds of video missing, right, and it's.
Speaker 3: And allegedly that's what supports Jesse's star.
Speaker 1: Right as a hotel clerk who swore he saw a white man.
Speaker 3: Run by and a white woman. Yeah, it was a white woman, who went on.
Speaker 1: To oh yeah different. Yeah, but I'm saying different different. She lived in the same building. She said she saw a white guy who who had rope on him somehow, hanging by the door before Jesse went out. But not to conflate those things. The security guard at the hotel said he saw this white dude run past, right, And there's video from inside the hotel, and it's there's ten seconds missing, right, and it's exactly the ten seconds when the person ran by, because apparently they were he said, it was obvious who they were. And then there's another piece of video that shows someone who is clearly not one of those very dark skinned the brothers right, clearly not him, right, or either of them.
Speaker 3: Right. It might the video might not be easily identifiable as a white person, but it's definitely not either one of those people.
Speaker 1: It is not a dark skinned black person. So yeah, yeah, it was interesting on a lot of levels, and even the filmmaker kind of approached the project assuming he was guilty and assuming he had made this, which he has always maintained his innocence.
Speaker 3: Yes he has.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Watch it and see if you don't have questions at the end, because I do. And one of the things I wondered.
Speaker 3: One of the things in the media playbook, and it happens most often with women and people of color. They will try to make you look crazy.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: They do. If they want to refute your story, one of the first things they do is make you look crazy.
Speaker 1: Or help you to wonder if you are right.
Speaker 3: And so I will have to officially say that it's looking more and more like there's more to more truth on Jesse smallt side, in which case I would have to say I formally apologize for all the mean things I said about you, calling you a liar and a problematic faggot or whatever the hell I said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know enough to be that ten toes down in the opinion that I took.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a compelling argument. It is that he was telling the truth and this was fabricated, at least in part. You know, and we were willing participants in fiction. So we'll see, you know, I guess, or we won't. But I left with serious questions and I thought I had my mind made up, but I said, that's well.
Speaker 3: The first thing that made my eyebrow ut was like the fact that Jesse Smallett was actually physically being interviewed on camera for this particularly.
Speaker 1: That's why I figured that there had to be at least some balance to it or he was going to say, yeah, I made it up for whatever reason, right, And that is not what happened at all, but definitely worth watching and watching it as it unfolds and they talk about the you know, people who were involved and where they are today, you know, so worth the time.
Speaker 3: And real real quick. So going back to Jesse Smallett physically being on camera, one thing I didn't I like about the the Ed Sullivan documentary is they used AI to reproduce his voice to narrate the documentary some of it. I hate that. Why can't they just get some I mean, I know why AIO takes the jobs of human people, but like, get someone to narrate the documentary.
Speaker 1: Just have a narrator so that I mean they were trying to put his they were his words. Yes, they were just trying, and it was clear that the voice wasn't quite his right, so you knew when it was the AI voice.
Speaker 3: But it's like when you have someone narrating the story and then when you actually use clips from Ed Sullivan, it makes his voice pop out more. It was a little too seamless. Anyway, that's my only thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, But they didn't do that with I mean, they did do some recreation, but.
Speaker 3: Just like that boy band thing we watched where they ai the whole performance of the one guy that the documentary was about.
Speaker 1: I don't know you hated it, okay. Anyway, well there you go.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 1: Probably why we didn't.
Speaker 3: Talk about it what we did at the time, Yeah, okay, probably why I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I try to b lock out things I hate. So, yeah, it's a Sunday. We're recording on August the twenty fourth, and we have a spaghetti dinner to put together and get to for the transfam.
Speaker 3: Shall we jump into some podcast busin.
Speaker 1: Let's get that out the way.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts or Good Pods or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating, or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at full Circle the Pod on Instagram and threads at Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at I'm Martha Madrigal Everywhere. Her writing can be found at i Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com, i am at Never Stirred Everywhere, or you can just visit our link tree link Tree slash Full Circle the Pod. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. You could also consider supporting Full Circle the Podcast by becoming a patron at our Patreon Patreon dot com slash full Circle the Pod. Starting at just a three dollars a month heire, you get access to all of our episodes ad free and before everyone else. Then, starting at the six dollars a month heire, you get access to our behind the scenes in bonus footage and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon You can also check out our Discord channel. Full Circle the podcast podcast Business.
Speaker 1: Over who yay yyuh. Thank you for listening, Yes, thank you, thank once again and we love you all. Bearing with one month break, but vacation is good until next time. I am Martha.
Speaker 3: Madrigal and I am Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Full Circle the podcast. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye everyone. Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders