Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: Imagine you walk into a preschool, right, and you see a group of toddlers, and these toddlers are just, you know, casually assembling a perfectly functional, high performance Formula one engine.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Yeah, that would be well terrifying, honestly, right.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't just be surprised. You would immediately assume that, like everything you knew about human development, cognitive milestones, and basic physics was just completely wrong.
Speaker 3: You'd be looking at this highly complex finished product in an environment where honestly, only raw, uncoordinated materials should even exist.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and today we are looking at the cosmic equivalent of that Formula one engine.
Speaker 3: It's a massive paradigm shift.
Speaker 2: It really is. I mean, we are taking you, the listener, eleven point five billion years into the past. We're looking at the universe when it was just a mere toddler only about two billion years.
Speaker 3: Old, which in cosmic terms is practically infancy, right, And.
Speaker 2: The object we are examining today is designated EIGHTYF twenty two point a one or sometimes just eighty F twenty two point one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both get used in the literature.
Speaker 2: And the sheer existence of this galaxy, with its majestic, highly ordered spiral structure and spinning of these staggering speeds, it just completely breaks the established timeline of cosmic evolution.
Speaker 3: It really does. I mean, the timeline of galaxy formation has been anchored for decades by this idea called the hierarchical merging paradigm.
Speaker 2: And that's basically the idea that the early universe was just a chaotic, violent place.
Speaker 3: Right right exactly. Early galaxies were expected to be well, irregular, just clumpy, messy block of gas and young stars smashing together.
Speaker 2: Like a cosmic demolition derby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Building a stable, massive, rotationally supported disc something like our modern Mochy way that was supposed to take billions of years.
Speaker 2: Because it requires slow accretion, violent collisions, and then this gradual settling of angular momentum.
Speaker 3: Right, So we definitely did not expect to find a massive, beautifully structured pinwheel galaxy sitting right there in the immediate aftermath of the universe's formative epic.
Speaker 2: It's wild eighty F twenty two point a one forces a total re evaluation of how quickly the universe can organize mass and energy.
Speaker 3: It really shows us that highly sophisticated structures can form incredibly early on.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's unpack this because going from the expectation of chaotic blobs to discovering a highly ordered, barred spiral in the Toddler universe, that's a massive shift in our understanding of physics.
Speaker 3: You had shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But before we get into the structural mechanics of how ADF twenty two top a one built itself without being destroyed by collisions, we really need to address why it took us so long to find it.
Speaker 3: That's a great question because it is massive.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If this thing is so huge, why didn't we see it earlier? I mean, we've had the Hubble space telescope staring to the deep field for decades now.
Speaker 3: Well, the simple answer is that Hubble was fundamentally blinded by the very nature of these specific early.
Speaker 2: Galaxies, blinded how like by the distance no by dust.
Speaker 3: ADF twenty two dot a one falls into a category we call dusty star forming galaxies or dsfgs.
Speaker 2: Ah. Okay, the dust is the key.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are systems undergoing star formation at rates that are just almost incomprehensible by our local standards.
Speaker 2: What kind of rates are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: We're talking about hundreds, sometimes even thousands of solar masses being converted into stars every single year.
Speaker 2: Wow. And just for context, the Milky Way produces what maybe one to three solar masses a.
Speaker 3: Year, exactly just a handful. So ADF twenty two dot a one is an absolute monster in comparison.
Speaker 2: But the byprod of all that rampant star formation is an immense amount of interstellar dust right right.
Speaker 3: The massive short lived O and B type stars in these early galaxies, they basically explode as supernovae very quickly, and.
Speaker 2: Those explosions enriched the interstellar medium with heavier elements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and those elements condense into microscopic dust grains. It creates this incredibly thick cosmic.
Speaker 2: Fog, and dust is incredibly efficient at absorbing short wavelength light. So all that ultraviolet and optical light pouring out of those young hot stars just hits the dust and scatters.
Speaker 3: Right, Because the wavelength of that light is roughly the same size as the dust grains themselves, it's essentially blocked.
Speaker 2: So when Hubble looked at these early epochs, it couldn't see the underlying stellar architecture at all. Because Hubble is primarily an optical and near infrared observatory.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it's all only the leakage. Hubble would capture a few irregular, clumpy patches of rest frame ultraviolet light that just happened to escape.
Speaker 2: Through thinner, less dense regions the dust clouds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this observational bias actually fed the old paradigm perfectly.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see. Because astronomers only saw messy, disjointed clumps of light, they naturally concluded that the galaxies themselves were messy disjointed clumps.
Speaker 3: Right. We were looking at the uneven surface of a thick fog bank, and just assuming that the terrain underneath was just as irregular.
Speaker 2: That's a brilliant way to picture it. So to pierce that fog, we needed to move entirely out of the optical spectrum.
Speaker 3: We needed observatories operating at wavelength that simply ignore the dust.
Speaker 2: Entirely, which brings us to the pairing of the James web Space Telescope and ALMA, the Atacoma Large Millimeter submillimeter Array.
Speaker 3: This is where the technology finally caught up to the physics. Let's start with JWST, right.
Speaker 2: Because JWST is designed specifically to capture longer wavelength infrared light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and because those infrared waves are physically longer than the diameter of the cosmic dust grains, the light just passes right through the fog.
Speaker 2: It's like having X ray vision for dust. JWST's near infrared camera in IRCAM essentially allows us to see the actual distribution of the older, cooler stars exactly.
Speaker 3: It reveals the true structural skeleton of the galaxy. But while JWST gives us the stellar mass distribution, it doesn't give us the kinematics.
Speaker 2: Right. It shows us where the stars are, but not how the raw material is moving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is where ALME comes in. LMA operates in the submillimeter regime.
Speaker 2: Specifically looking at wavelengths around eight hundred and seventy micrometers for this object right correct.
Speaker 3: At those wavelengths, Alia is passive. It's capturing the thermal emission of the warm dusk greens themselves.
Speaker 2: And it also picks up specific emission lines of cold molecular gas and ionized atoms.
Speaker 3: Right for eightf twenty two dot a one. Al MA was tuned to track a very specific signature, the fine structure emission line of ionized carbon.
Speaker 2: Also known as the CII emission line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, carbon is distributed throughout the interstellar medium of these galaxies.
Speaker 2: And when the electrons in these carbon atoms drop from higher energy state to a lower one, they meet a photon.
Speaker 3: Exactly, a photon with a very specific resting wavelength of about one hundred and fifty eight micrometers.
Speaker 2: Wait. I see a major challenge here, though, Okay, what is it? If JWST is mapping the infrared light from the stars and ALMA is mapping the submillimeter emission from the ionized carbon gas, how do we know they are looking at the exact same physical structure?
Speaker 3: Ah, the alignment problem.
Speaker 2: Right. In a crowded early universe, a line of sight could easily pass through a random cloud of gas in the foreground before hitting a galaxy in the background.
Speaker 3: It absolutely could.
Speaker 2: So if you just lay the two images on top of each other, how do you mathematically prove the alignment is real and not just an optical illusion of the perspective?
Speaker 3: That requires really rigorous astrometric calibration. Astronomers don't just blindly overlay the images.
Speaker 2: And hope for the best, okay, So what do they do?
Speaker 3: They use a shared reference frame. Typically it's tied to the International Celestial Reference System.
Speaker 2: So they find common points in both images.
Speaker 3: Exactly in the fields observed by both telescopes, there are point sources, usually quasars or well characterized background objects.
Speaker 2: And these objects emit strongly in both near infrared and submillimeter wavelengths.
Speaker 3: Right by aligning the absolute coordinates of those known reference points down to fractions of an arcsecond, you can lock the two maps together.
Speaker 2: The gas from LMA and the stellar light from JWST are perfectly registered.
Speaker 3: Yes, And when that precise astrometric overlay was performed for eighty F twenty two dot A one, the spatial distribution of the gas matched the stellar morphology perfectly.
Speaker 2: So it definitely wasn't a foreground cloud. The ionized carbon was dynamically bound to the stellar disc.
Speaker 3: It was a single cohesive object, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: And once that alignment is locked, the image that emerges is just breath taking. We strip away the cosmic fog and we don't see a blob, no blog at all. We see a giant, rapidly rotating barred spiral disc. It has a clear spiral distribution of stars, a central elongated barlike feature spanning the core, and massive clumpy arms.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful. Yeah, but the visual is really only half the story here, right.
Speaker 2: The physical properties are truly defy the models. Let's look at the numbers. The Snellar disc is roughly twice the size of typical galaxies from that exact same era right.
Speaker 3: At redshift zev round three, and the median stellar mass sits at a log of m star over msun greater than ten point eight.
Speaker 2: Translating that log rhythmic scale for you listening, we are looking at a stellar mass well in excess of sixty billion times the mass of our Sun.
Speaker 3: And that is just the mass locked up in the stars. That's not even accounting for the dark matter halo or the vast reservoirs of gas.
Speaker 2: That's insane for a galaxy to have converted that much raw material into a stable stellar population just two billion years after the Big Bang. It places it in a rare heavyweight class, it really does.
Speaker 3: But the mass is just the prerequisite for the real anomaly.
Speaker 2: Here, which lies in the kinematics right exactly.
Speaker 3: This goes back to Alma and the ionized carbon emission line we were just talking about.
Speaker 2: Because Alima isn't just taking a static picture of the gas, it's actually measuring the Doppler shift.
Speaker 3: Correct, we know the rest wavelength of the CII emission line.
Speaker 2: So as Alima observes the disc of EIGHTF twenty two dot a one, it detects that the wavelength of light coming from one side of the galaxy is stretched or red shifted.
Speaker 3: Meaning that specific gas is physically moving away from us, and on.
Speaker 2: The opposite side of the disc the wavelength is compressed or blue.
Speaker 3: Shifted, which means the gas is approaching us. Right.
Speaker 2: And when you plot these velocities across the spatial plane of the galaxy, it generates an isovelocity contour.
Speaker 3: Map, frequently referred to as a spider diagram. The highly symmetrical nature of This diagram is the undeniable kinematic signature of a coherent, cohesive rotating disc.
Speaker 2: And the velocity of that rotation is what completely breaks the models. The Alma data reveals that this massive disc is spinning at an incredible five hundred and thirty kilometers.
Speaker 3: Percon It's moving incredibly fast.
Speaker 2: At that speed, the centrifugal force is immense. The outer edges of this galaxy are moving so fast that they should, by all rights just be flung out into intergalactic space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really should be.
Speaker 2: So if the buryonic mass, you know, the sixty billion solar masses of stars plus the gas, isn't enough to hold it together against that rotational shear, where is the gravitational anchor?
Speaker 3: Well, you have to assume the dark matter fraction here is incredibly dense to prevent the galaxy from tearing itself apart.
Speaker 2: The dark matter halo is the unseen scaffolding.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, to maintain stability at a rotational velocity of five hundred and thirty kilometers per second eightyf twenty two point a, one must possess a dynamical mass that far exceeds its buryonic mass.
Speaker 2: It's the dark matter providing the deep gravitational well required to tether all that high velocity gas and stars.
Speaker 3: Right, But what is truly anomalous is the dynamical state of the baryens themselves. How So we quantify it by something called the V over signa ratio. That's the rotational velocity V divided by the velocity dispersion sigma.
Speaker 2: And velocity dispersion measures the chaotic, random, thermal like motions of the stars and gas within the system.
Speaker 3: Right. Yes, so high velocity dispersion means the orbits of the stars are highly elliptical, plunging in and out of the galactic center in totally random orientations.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for decades, numerical simulations suggested that massive galaxies in the early universe would be dispersion.
Speaker 3: Supported, exactly because they were supposed to form through those violent mergers we talked.
Speaker 2: About the demolition Derby, Right.
Speaker 3: The kinetic energy of those collisions would be pumped into the random motions of.
Speaker 2: The stars, which results in a high sigma and a low V. They would be puffy, chaotic ellipticals.
Speaker 3: But eighty f twenty two dot a one has a very high V over sigma ratio. It is a rotationally supported disk.
Speaker 2: The ordered coherent spinning far out weighs the chaotic buzzing. The kinetic energy is highly organized.
Speaker 3: It is which forces a massive logical paradox.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I was just thinking that if this galaxy has tens of billions of solar mass of stars, the traditional rule book says it must have achieved that mass by consuming other galaxies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hierarchical merging. Small halos of dark matter and gas crash together to make larger halos.
Speaker 2: But major mergers are incredibly violent. If a galaxy half the size of EIGHTF twenty two but a one slammed into it, the gravitational tidal forces would completely scramble the orbits of the stars.
Speaker 3: It would completely destroy that delicate, high velocity rotationally supported spiral disc.
Speaker 2: It would just leave behind a dispersion supported scrap peep. So, how does an object get this massive without getting messy?
Speaker 3: We can actually quantify the absence of that messiness using morphological mathematics.
Speaker 2: Okay, so astronomers don't just rely on visual classification.
Speaker 3: No, they analyze the light distribution using non parametric metrics, primarily the cirsic index and the GENM twenty coefficients.
Speaker 2: Let's break those down. What is the cirsic profile.
Speaker 3: It basically measures how the intensity of a galaxy's light varies with distance from its center.
Speaker 2: So how the brightness fades out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a c index of n equals one describes an exponential profile, and that is the mathematical signature of a flat extended disc.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about a higher number.
Speaker 3: An index of n equals four, known as the devocolur profile, describes a highly concentrated, steep light distribution.
Speaker 2: Which is typical of a massive dispersion supported elliptical galaxy or a dense central bulge built by mergers.
Speaker 3: Right, and when you map the infrared light from JWST for ADFU two dot a one, it fits the n equals one exponential profile.
Speaker 2: It firmly aligns with a disk profile. It's mathematical proof of its shape exactly.
Speaker 3: Furthermore, you have the gene coefficient.
Speaker 2: Wait, isn't that an economics term, like it used to track wealth inequality?
Speaker 3: It is, but in astrophysics it's used to measure the inequality of pixel slux values in a galaxy image.
Speaker 2: Oh that's clever. So a high gene coefficient means the light is highly concentrated in a few bright pixels.
Speaker 3: Yes, which often indicates a dense core or violent localized starbursts from a recent merger.
Speaker 2: Okay, and what is the M twenty part of GENM twenty?
Speaker 3: M twenty measures the second order moment of the brightest twenty percent of the galaxy's pixels. It acts as an indicator of spatial structure.
Speaker 2: So mergers typically produce high Genie and high M twenty values because the light is unevenly distributed into multiple clumps or tidle tales.
Speaker 3: Right, So by running the pixels through these formulas you remove human bias entirely.
Speaker 2: You aren't just looking at an image and saying, well, it looks like a disc. You are mathematically proving that the distribution of mass lacks the localized spikes and tidal distortions that a major merger would inevitably leave behind.
Speaker 3: It classifies cleanly as a late type disc. But as you said, if it didn't smash its way to sixty billion solar masses, how did it get so heavy?
Speaker 2: Right? Where does the mass come from? If not from collisions?
Speaker 3: Smooth accretion?
Speaker 2: Smooth accretion? Okay, explain how.
Speaker 3: We see that the data from jwst in Lama reveals a distinct wavelength dependent size trend, and this provides the finger of its growth mechanism.
Speaker 2: Okay, what does a wavelength dependent sized trend actually mean for the galaxy?
Speaker 3: Well, when observed its shorter rest frame wavelengths, which trace the hot, highly energetic young blue stars, the physical extent of the galaxy appears much larger.
Speaker 2: The effective radius is extended.
Speaker 3: Yes. However, when observed at longer wavelengths, which trace the older, cooler, lower mass stars, the galaxy is significantly more compact, with.
Speaker 2: The light concentrated heavily in the central regions, so that wavelength gradient maps directly to an age gradient.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it is inside outgrowth.
Speaker 2: The core of the galaxy is the oldest region. It formed first, and over the past billion years or so, generations of stars have lived and died there, choking the center with dust.
Speaker 3: But the galaxy isn't just sitting there. It is continuously adding mass to its outer edges.
Speaker 2: The younger bluer light is extended because pristine raw material is continuously arriving at the periphery of the disc.
Speaker 3: Right it rives, cools, condenses, and ignites into fresh rings. Of new star.
Speaker 2: It's expanding its borders outwards smoothly without disrupting the ancient established core.
Speaker 3: This continuous, smooth delivery of gas is basically the only way to build a massive, rotationally supported disc this early in the universe.
Speaker 2: But a galaxy cannot accrete tens of billions of solar masses of gas smoothly unless it resides in an environment capable of providing that supply chain.
Speaker 3: That's the key. We have to look beyond the galaxy itself and examine the broader cosmological scaffolding.
Speaker 2: Because EIGHTYF twenty two but A one does not exist in an isolated void. It is located at the center of the SSA twenty two protocluster at redshift Z equals three point zero nine, and.
Speaker 3: A protocluster is essentially a massive over density of dark matter that is in the process of gravitationally collapsing to form a galaxy.
Speaker 2: Cluster, which are the largest bound structures in the universe. And this SSA twenty two region is.
Speaker 3: Extreme, very extreme. The number density of galaxies in this specific volume of space is over ten times the cosmic average, so.
Speaker 2: It's an incredibly crowded neighborhood, but way a crowded neighborhood usually means more collisions, more hierarchical merging, you'd think so, yes, So if it's surrounded by other galaxies, how is EIGHTF twenty two dot a one avoiding the demolition derby and pulling in pristine gas.
Speaker 3: By tapping directly into the cosmic web.
Speaker 2: The cosmic web, I love that term, It's very descriptive.
Speaker 3: Cosmological simulations demonstrate that dark matter forms a vast three dimensional filamentary network.
Speaker 2: And galaxies and clusters form at the nodes where these filaments intersect exactly.
Speaker 3: Now. For a long time, the dominant theory was that gas falling into a massive dark matter halo would undergo shock heating.
Speaker 2: Creating a spherical halo of hot gas that would slowly cool and rain down onto the galaxy.
Speaker 3: Right, But in the highly dense environments of protoclusters in the early universe, we see a totally different fluid dynamic. We see cold streams cold streams.
Speaker 2: So the gas in the filaments is so dense that it doesn't shock heat when it hits the outer boundary of the dark matter halo exactly.
Speaker 3: It maintains its low temperature and essentially punches right through the hot.
Speaker 2: Halo, delivering a concentrated stream of coal gas directly to the central galaxy.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the team that map this, led by Hideki Umihata, specifically found these massive inflows of coal gas traveling along the intergalactic filaments directly into the core of the SSA twenty two protocluster.
Speaker 2: These cold streams are the crucial mechanism for understanding ADF two dot A one's extreme rotation, aren't.
Speaker 3: They They are The filaments of the cosmic web do not just deliver mass, They deliver angular momentum.
Speaker 2: Because as the cold gas flows along the vast cosmological filaments, it carries the inherent rotational energy of the macro structure.
Speaker 3: Yes, because the filament's fee into the galaxy from specific offset angles rather than falling straight toward the center, so.
Speaker 2: They exert a torque. It's like perfectly throwing a spiraling football or wrapping a string around a top and pulling it.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect analogy. The cold streams of at the outskirts of the galaxy, and because they are coming in at an angle, they wrap around the existing structure.
Speaker 2: The gas settles into a stable co rotating orbit at the periphery of the disk before it even condenses into stars.
Speaker 3: And then that explains the five hundred and thirty kilometer per second rotation.
Speaker 2: The galaxy isn't just spinning because of its own localized collapse. It is being actively spun up by the torque of the intergalactic filaments feeding it.
Speaker 3: It gets its mass and its stability from the exact same supply line. It is an incredibly efficient transfer of energy and mass from the macrocosmological scale down to the galactic scale.
Speaker 2: As long as the cold streams remain intact, the galaxy can undergo sustained rapid star formation in its outer disc without suffering the structural scrambling of a major merger.
Speaker 3: The environment dictates the morphology entirely.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant physics. But it also dictates a finite life span, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely.
Speaker 2: If the SSA twenty two protocluster is continuously pulling in mass and collapsing, the local environment is going to change dramatically over time.
Speaker 3: It will that vast spherical dark matter halo we mentioned earlier is going to accumulate more and more hot gas.
Speaker 2: Eventually the space between the galaxies, and this protocluster isn't going to be empty, It's going to be filled with an incredibly dense, superheated plasma called the intracluster medium or ICM.
Speaker 3: Right, and as EIGHTF twenty two dot A one continues to move through the deepening gravitational well of the cluster, what do you think happens to its delicate cold gas supply?
Speaker 2: It faces a severe hydrodynamical stripping process. The physics of ram pressure exactly.
Speaker 3: Ram pressure dictates that as a galaxy moves through the hot, dense fluid of the intracluster medium, it experiences a huge drag force.
Speaker 2: And the pressure obserted on the cold gas in the galaxy's disc is proportional to the density of the ICM and the square of the galaxies velocity.
Speaker 3: So, given the massive gravitational acceleration within a forming cluster adf twenty two to eat a one will eventually reach a velocity where the RAM pressure exceeds the gravitational re storing force holding the gas to.
Speaker 2: The disc, meaning the hot intergalactic wind literally scours the cold gas right out of the spiral arms completely.
Speaker 3: The gas is stripped away, trailing behind the galaxy in a massive tail.
Speaker 2: Leaving the stellar disc entirely depleted of the raw hydrogen and molecular gas required to form new stars.
Speaker 3: Furthermore, the sheer mass of the growing cluster halo will eventually shock heat the incoming cold streams from the cosmic web, cutting off the intercollected supply line entirely.
Speaker 2: So it's a combination of starvation from the severed filaments and ram pressure.
Speaker 3: Stripping, yes, and this leads to a rapid permanent cessation of star formation. We call this quenching, which means.
Speaker 2: This magnificent five hundred and thirty kilometer per second spiral is essentially living on borrowed time.
Speaker 3: It is a spectacular but incredibly brief phase of galactic evolution.
Speaker 2: Because without new hot blue stars being formed in the outer disc, the existing massive stars will quickly burn out and die as supernovae.
Speaker 3: And all that will be left are the low mass cool red stars.
Speaker 2: Current evolutionary tracks suggest that by redshift z equals one to two, which is just a few billion years after the snapshot we are currently examining EIGHTF twenty two, but A one will have lost its spiral arms entirely.
Speaker 3: The disc will fade, the kinematics will likely be altered by the increasingly crowded environment, and it will.
Speaker 2: Morph into one of the massive, dead red elliptical galaxies that dominate the cores of modern galaxy clusters like Coma or Virgo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that evolutionary art requires us to fundamentally broaden our cosmological context. How so, because EIGHTF twenty two toad A one is not a singular anomaly, it is an archetype for a newly recognized pathway of early galaxy formation.
Speaker 2: Right Because for a long time, observational astronomy operated on the assumption that the Hubble sequence the morphological classification of galaxies into Grand design spirals, ellipticals and irregulars only locked into place at much lower redshifts.
Speaker 3: After billions of years of chaotic assembly. The early universe was thought to be populated exclusively by those irregulars we talked about.
Speaker 2: But the combination of JWST and LMA has completely dismantled that assumption.
Speaker 3: Once astronomers knew the signature of these cold rotating discs, they started finding them wherever the environmental conditions were right.
Speaker 2: So we are seeing a profound paradigm shift backed by multiple independent surveys.
Speaker 3: Indeed, for example, at a red shift of z equals three point twenty five, roughly contemporaneous with eight f twenty two dot a one, astronomers discovered an object known as the Big Wheel.
Speaker 2: Another exceptionally massive, kinematically stable rotating discs Yes.
Speaker 3: And in the Spiderweb protocluster redshift z equals two point one six. Extensive surveys have revealed a significant population of dusty star forming galaxies exhibiting extended stellar.
Speaker 2: Discs undergoing rapid, smooth structural growth driven by accretion rather than mergers.
Speaker 3: And we are pushing the timeline back even further.
Speaker 2: Than that, right the Rebel Survey.
Speaker 3: Yes, The Rebel Survey a massive, amim large program. It's specifically targeted extremely distant galaxies and found the kinematic signatures of cold rotating discs as far back as rich of z round seven.
Speaker 2: That is, just seven hundred million years after the Big Bang. The universe was barely out of the epoch of realization, and it had already figured out how to balance immense gravitational collapse with angular momentum to build stable discs.
Speaker 3: The underlying physics of fluid dynamics. Dark matter collapse and angular momentum transfer do not require billions of years to operate.
Speaker 2: The universe is incredibly efficient. If a massive dark matter halo intersects with cold, dense filaments of the cosmic web, it will rapidly funnel that gas into a central rotating disc.
Speaker 3: So the Hubble sequence was established incredibly early in the universe's history, provided the local supply chain was impact.
Speaker 2: And our ability to map this early Hubble sequence is only going to improve exponentially. We are looking at a golden age of kinematic astronomy.
Speaker 3: Unquestionably, the data we have from ALMA right now tracing the ionized carbon is revolutionary, but it is just the beginning.
Speaker 2: Because LMA is undergoing continuous band upgrades that will vastly increase its correlator bandwidth insensitivity.
Speaker 3: Yes, we will have future observation cycles with JWST providing even deeper near infrared integration times to trace the lowest mass stars in the outer extremities of these disks.
Speaker 2: But perhaps most exciting are the next generation facilities coming online in the late twenty twenties and twenty thirties. You're talking about the thirty meter class observatories like the extremely large telescope the ELT.
Speaker 3: Exactly, the ELT will provide unprecedented spatial resolution from the ground in the near infrared, utilizing advanced adaptive optics to correct for atmospheric distortion, so.
Speaker 2: We will be able to resolve the individual stellar clumps and bar structures in these early discs with the clarity we currently reserve for local galaxies.
Speaker 3: And in the radio regime, The square kilometer Array the SKA will transform our kinematic mapping.
Speaker 2: Entirely, because currently tracing ionized carbon is effective, but it traces gas that is partially affected by the harsh ultraviolet radiation of young stone.
Speaker 3: With the SKA and upgraded ALMA receivers, we will be able to conduct deep, high resolution mapping of carbon monoxide CO.
Speaker 2: And COO is basically the holy grail for tracking the actual fuel for star formation.
Speaker 3: It is because it exists exclusively in the deepest, coldest, most shielded molecular clouds where stars are actually born.
Speaker 2: Right now, CO is incredibly faint and hard to detect at redshift z equals three, but next generation arrays will allow us to map the precise velocities of the actual stellar nurseries. Not just the generalized gas.
Speaker 3: We won't just be looking at the macro rotation of the disc. We will be mapping the localized turbulence and the exact mechanics of how the gas fragments into stars.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. The integration of high resolution cookinematics, JWST, stellar mass mapping, and advanced hydrodynamical simulations will allow us to essentially watch the inside out assembly of these massive galaxies in high definition.
Speaker 3: We are transitioning from the era of simply fire ending these early monsters to the era of precisely reverse engineering their construction.
Speaker 2: The hierarchical merging paradigm remains a critical component of cosmic evolution, particularly for lower mass galaxies and the late time assembly of clusters, but we now know it is not the universal rule.
Speaker 3: The early universe was perfectly capable of building highly ordered massive structures through smooth filamentary accretion.
Speaker 2: It is a stunning reversal of how we view the early cosmos. I mean, we started today looking at a universe shrouded in a thick, obscuring dust, a place we historically wrote off as a chaotic, messy arena of colliding irregular blobs.
Speaker 3: But by looking past the optical spectrum. By aligning the infrared stellar map from JWST with the submillimeter kinematic map from al May, we revealed eight F twenty two point a one.
Speaker 2: A massive barred spiral galaxy boasting over sixty billion solar masses of stars locked in a hyper stable rotation of five hundred and thirty kilometers per second.
Speaker 3: We saw that bypassed the violent demolition derby of galactic mergers entirely.
Speaker 2: Instead, it positioned itself at the nexus of the cosmic web, utilizing the cold streams of intergalactic filments to continuously pipe pristine gas and angular momentum directly into its expanding outer suburbs.
Speaker 3: It is a masterpiece of fluid dynamics and gravitational.
Speaker 2: Engineering, executing inside out growth while sitting in the densest, most dangerous environment in the early universe, destined to eventually be stripped of its fuel and retired as a massive elliptical.
Speaker 3: The models of galaxy evolution are being actively rewritten to accommodate this kind of efficiency.
Speaker 2: But as we close out our discussion today, I want to leave you the listener with a thought that pushes beyond the macro scale astrophysics.
Speaker 3: It's an important question to consider.
Speaker 2: We have spent this time marveling at the fact that the universe could organize chaotic gas into majestic, perfectly stable, rotating spirals billions of years earlier than we ever expected. The universe was building complex, ordered environments almost immediately after the Big Bang.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: But if the universe doing that on a macro galactic scale, what else was it accelerating?
Speaker 3: Stable metal, rich spinning galactic discs are the necessary cradles for stellar systems like our own.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They provide the stable orbits and the localized densities required for heavier elements carbon, oxygen, iron to forge in stellar cores, be ejected by supernovae, and mix into the interstellar medium without being blasted away by continuous violent galaxy mergers.
Speaker 3: If these highly ordered, chemically enriching environments existed as early as seven hundred million to two billion years after the Big Bang, the timeline for everything shifts.
Speaker 2: Could the very first ingredients for complex chemistry, the heavy molecules required for life, or perhaps even the early precursors to rocky habitable worlds, have been quietly forming and churning in the spiral arms of these ancient behemoths. If the structural architecture of the universe matured this early, it really makes you look up at the night sky and wonder exactly how long the dark has been hiding the light.