Speaker 1: Earth Search, a ten part adventure Cereal in Time and Space by James Follett.
Speaker 2: Part seven, New Blood, Dove.
Speaker 3: Careful, you can be.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 5: Controls are so light, Hey, Astra, Look, a new touch display panel has appeared. Plasma cannons, heat seeking, anti personnel lasers, infrared.
Speaker 4: Follicts Dove.
Speaker 5: We could have blasted our way into this wreck instead of going through that hole.
Speaker 3: This isn't a space fairy, it's a fighter. It's bristling with weapons.
Speaker 6: Sordan lied when he said that it was an unarmed personal transport, and he said nothing about bringing that huge black Android aboard the Challenger.
Speaker 4: Oh can you blame him for not trusting us?
Speaker 5: The wonder is that he allowed Angel one and two to put him into suspended animation. Obviously he was depending on Fagor to monitor his safety. Damned android's probably storming through the Challenger right now, smashing everything up.
Speaker 6: You think the angels kill Tholdon deliberately.
Speaker 4: Yes, so do I Dark.
Speaker 5: Oh we're learning Astray. Everything's pretty derelict outside. Hey, look, there's a junction in the gallery ahead. And the question is which way did Telson and Sharna go?
Speaker 6: Dave set the ferry down?
Speaker 4: Why just set it down. But now, what's the matter?
Speaker 6: I saw something move behind that wreckage.
Speaker 4: You're always seeing it wasn't wrong about Fagor.
Speaker 3: Let's get some.
Speaker 6: Lights on it.
Speaker 5: There's nothing there besides the interior of this hole, because a vacuum nothing could.
Speaker 4: Oh now, what.
Speaker 3: Do you suppose that thing is? And I do think so. His movements are too fluid.
Speaker 6: It's a man wearing some sort of space mobility suit.
Speaker 5: I think he wants to talk to us. But see if there's a channel he can be contacted on.
Speaker 6: Hello, this is a space ferry from the starship Challenger.
Speaker 7: Do you read me?
Speaker 6: Stranger?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 7: Do you read me?
Speaker 6: Well, that's an old channels.
Speaker 3: He hasn't got a radio.
Speaker 4: Now he's pointing at the airlock.
Speaker 3: We're not going to let him in.
Speaker 4: It's the only way we're going to learn anything. Open the outer door.
Speaker 6: We can't take the risk.
Speaker 5: He's unarmed and at the moment he's our only chance of finding Shanna and Tellson just have your p D weapon of the.
Speaker 2: Already visual three.
Speaker 3: He's entering the airlock. I hope you know what you're doing, Dove.
Speaker 4: I don't my love close the outer.
Speaker 6: Door equalizing pressure before I open the inner door. Have you got your b D train on it?
Speaker 4: Okay? Ready, Even the oldest videos showed space suits that crude. Hey, that's far enough. Whoever you are, take your helmet off.
Speaker 8: Oh, Universe, you've no idea how glad we are to see you and you speak our language. We were terrified in case the first couple were the only two from your ship. I say, are those things awfully dangerous? It's just that I'm about to be licensed for childbearing.
Speaker 3: It be awful. If anything were to happen to me, I'd never.
Speaker 4: Get hold on hold on. First things first, who are you?
Speaker 3: You really do speak our language? You're not using translators or anything. We're not using translators.
Speaker 8: Who are you, Universe? You must think I'm rude. My name's Lenarde. You know we heard that the first who spoke our language, but we didn't believe the report. There so few of us left now that we're having to send half trained observers into Holocaust City. Please Leonard, one thing at a time. Oh sorry, I always talk too much when I'm nervous. I suppose you want to know about your friend.
Speaker 5: They entered this whole nine hours ago in a space shuttle, and we've heard nothing from them since.
Speaker 3: They were arrested in the marketplace yesterday.
Speaker 4: I think I'm going insane. Well what marketplace? Who arrested them?
Speaker 3: Can this spacecraft function in an atmosphere? I don't see why not? Is it armed?
Speaker 4: Just it is? And so are weed? If you don't just a.
Speaker 3: Minute now, listen, Leonard.
Speaker 6: If Telson and China are in danger, then you must tell us, and tell us now.
Speaker 3: We can rescue them if we're quick. Let's get moving and I'll try and explain.
Speaker 4: You'll explain now.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, please.
Speaker 8: We must get through those gallery airlocks ahead of us as soon as possible.
Speaker 4: Oh very well.
Speaker 5: External air pressure and temperature now normal. Right, We're throw into the gallery.
Speaker 3: Airlock and I've opened our airlock doors.
Speaker 4: Darve, where now, Lennard? Come on on.
Speaker 8: Of course, Citi's on the other side of these bulkheads. But I don't know where the secret entrances are. Only our agents are shown where they're hidden.
Speaker 4: Okay, then we'll manage without entry. Ready Estra laser cannons ready fire, right, we should be able to get through that.
Speaker 3: What a lovely way of.
Speaker 7: Making homes, Oh, Universe, this is fun. Def the holocausticity.
Speaker 4: Lenard leads a cannon's alone. There's no need to kill everyone.
Speaker 7: Never get a chance like this again.
Speaker 5: Look at them going god ascl I can see them there, standing on some sort of stage in the middle of the markets.
Speaker 4: I'm going in love.
Speaker 5: The case left, Lenard, stop firing, Youngiverse.
Speaker 8: You'll give me an unlimited baby license for the next twenty years.
Speaker 7: I've left reduced Peter have you'll never shoot.
Speaker 4: And I've got the Manria visual astra our reverse. Tell me when to stop.
Speaker 3: Thirty yards twenty ten?
Speaker 6: Stop down five, tells them, Shanna, can you climb onto those cross beams?
Speaker 9: We can't.
Speaker 7: I'll give you a hand.
Speaker 3: Come on quickly.
Speaker 10: Can you manage.
Speaker 8: Someone's shooting at us?
Speaker 7: With them?
Speaker 9: But did you see that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: You the word?
Speaker 8: This is more fun than the sex competitions.
Speaker 9: The pause.
Speaker 3: I'm going to close the air up doors.
Speaker 9: Oh well, don't you too.
Speaker 4: Who are all those people?
Speaker 3: The earth worshippers? They were going to hang you for Blesphemy. They like to hang anyone who thinks that the earth might be a real place. Keep still and I'll untie your wrists.
Speaker 5: Leonard, Commander Tellson and Sharna, Hello and we know as much about Lenard as you do, except that she's a bit bloodthirsty.
Speaker 3: Hello, Commander Sharna.
Speaker 8: Hello his them or us with the Earth Worshippers, and for once it was them. You'd best turn the ferry round of and I'll show you the way back to our regions of the ship. I'm sure Tandor will want to meet you. She's the leader of the under People.
Speaker 9: It's a long story, Tandor long and unbelievable.
Speaker 11: I would like to hear the outline, Tellson, and when I've heard it, I will.
Speaker 10: Decide what we should do with you.
Speaker 11: Because you are enemies of the Earth Worshippers, we are no one's enemy.
Speaker 12: Show us the way out of this hulk so that we can return to our ship and will be on our way.
Speaker 11: Because you are enemies of the Earth Worshippers, it does not follow that you are a friend of my under people. I hope my logic is clear. I'll tell your story, Commander.
Speaker 12: Our grandparents set out in our starship from Earth one hundred and fifteen years ago. Their mission was to find an Earth type planet because it was feared that the Sun was due to go nova, a blow up.
Speaker 9: That is, we both.
Speaker 11: Speak the same language, Commander continue.
Speaker 12: The ship's control systems, we call them angels, had extended the voyage and increased our.
Speaker 9: Speed to just below the speed of light.
Speaker 12: The result was that we returned to discover that a million years passed in our solar system.
Speaker 9: Although one hundred and fifteen years ship.
Speaker 12: Time had passed and the Earth had vanished vanished, technology on Earth had advanced so much that it had become possible to take the planet out of the Solar System to a new sun.
Speaker 11: You've never seen Earth.
Speaker 9: No, we were born on the Challenger.
Speaker 11: Which happens to be the name of this ship.
Speaker 9: That picture you have, it's a stereograph of Earth.
Speaker 7: What of it?
Speaker 9: We're descended from the same people.
Speaker 12: This ship of yours, or what's left of it, is the sister of our ship.
Speaker 9: That I guessed.
Speaker 11: We thought it was a derelict hulk, a hulk, but not derelict. The fusion reactors are still working. They provide us with light, warmth, energy, and will continue to do so for many millions of years, just as yours will.
Speaker 9: What happened to your ship?
Speaker 3: What little there is.
Speaker 11: Left of the ancient records tell us that our ancestors set out from Earth. The second generation crew divided into two rival factors over how the ship.
Speaker 10: Should be run.
Speaker 11: The difference of opinion became an argument with the third, a feud with the fourth, a war with the fifth generation, a very bitter and bloody war.
Speaker 9: Which your people lost.
Speaker 11: We have our independence and they have theirs. We believe that life on the ship represents the sum of our total existence, and that we'd better make the best of it. We have seen space and the stars and try to understand them. The Earth Worshippers believe that life on the ship is one step towards an eternal life outside time and space on their marvelous mythical Earth.
Speaker 9: But surely they know that this ship is.
Speaker 10: Flirting in space.
Speaker 11: Well, yes, we've taken prisoners to the observation Dome and they've either gone completely insane or accused us of trying to warp their minds with optical illusions.
Speaker 9: How can anyone reject space?
Speaker 13: Why not?
Speaker 11: Over the generations, the Earth Worshippers have gradually sealed off their minds and their Holocaust City from reality. It's easier to do than you think. Commander to them. The ship is their universe.
Speaker 9: We told them that the Earth was a real place and that we were searching.
Speaker 4: Which is why they were going to hang you.
Speaker 10: You blasphemed against their beliefs.
Speaker 12: Look, Tandor your ship could join our ship in the search for the planet Earth. We're on our way to the star cluster Tersus, where there are hundreds of main sequence suns, all within a few light years of each other, and it's the nearest star cluster to the Earth's original solar system. We're pretty certain that that's where we'll find the Earth.
Speaker 11: No, Commander Telson.
Speaker 9: But you know that the Earth exists, Tandor.
Speaker 12: You've got that stereograph, and we've got thousands of videos and holograms in our library.
Speaker 9: It's a planet, an entire planet, lakes, hills, forests. Your people would become free.
Speaker 12: They'd know what it was like to be outdoors under a blue sky, to feel a warm sum on their backs and a fresh breeze on their face.
Speaker 11: And you who know about these things, of course, Well no, but we do have on our ship the dream machines. And you think I should offer my people a beautiful future in which all their dreams come true, Well, I will tell you something, Commander. They have had many generations of rulers who have promised them the earth that better times were to be had, and they became bitterly disillusioned. There was a revolution and my dynasty came to power, and they have held on to that power. Because we have spoken the truth of the unchanging present. We can serve, We recycle, we maintain a fixed population level. We are not happy all the time, but we are content. It sounds depressing, not as depressing as dreams that can never be fulfilled. And so long as the Elixir of Life Bank can be replenished every so often, there are rare moments of joy in our community.
Speaker 9: The Elixir of Life Bank.
Speaker 11: I think we have talked for long enough. Commander Telson, you will to return to your friends and prepare for the special celebration I'm planning in honor of you and Dove.
Speaker 9: That are four of us. Tandor, Oh, Shanna.
Speaker 11: And Astro will be welcome to it, and of course most welcome.
Speaker 9: We're very grateful for being rescued. We would like to be on our way.
Speaker 11: But I must insist that you stay for the celebration.
Speaker 9: I don't understand what is there to celebrate.
Speaker 11: That you and Dove are different. You both have different color hair and eyes from everyone on this ship, different from us and the earth Worshipers.
Speaker 3: No, you look baffled.
Speaker 11: Your blood commander new blood.
Speaker 3: New blood.
Speaker 9: That's what she said.
Speaker 3: But what did she mean.
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't mind giving blood that. They don't know what blood groups he are. They hadn't tested us.
Speaker 4: Maybe she was speaking figuratively.
Speaker 9: What's that supposed to mean?
Speaker 4: Ah, I don't know. I'm sorry, and I say it. I said, I'm sorry.
Speaker 12: You should never have allowed them to take your PD weapons away from you.
Speaker 4: You and Charn are lost yours.
Speaker 12: We were captured by the earthworship There's no point in argue.
Speaker 6: What else is there to do. We don't know if we're with friends or enemies. We don't know where the shuttle is.
Speaker 3: We don't know where the ferry is.
Speaker 9: We could find them easily enough. How we just walk out and look for them.
Speaker 4: The door is not locked, and if you try it tells them.
Speaker 5: You walk out of that door, and you'll be joined by two or three pretty girls who look exactly the same as Lennard, who will beg you to return to this room.
Speaker 3: We tried it while you were seeing tandor twice.
Speaker 8: They showed us back here, all smiles and apologies, and worried about.
Speaker 3: Our safety in case the earth worshipers counterattacked.
Speaker 9: They said, what do they want with us?
Speaker 3: Where the new blood?
Speaker 15: Remember?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: When does this so called celebration or whatever it is start?
Speaker 9: Sometime tonight?
Speaker 4: I can reel my soul.
Speaker 8: Don't you like it?
Speaker 4: It's great? Very careful?
Speaker 7: What is meek?
Speaker 9: Silly?
Speaker 3: Oh universe, don't say you've never heard of me?
Speaker 5: I remember reading about it in the library.
Speaker 9: He dropped it down, you crazy girl.
Speaker 3: You might as well eat astra. I'm not hungry.
Speaker 9: How long since you've eaten?
Speaker 3: Perhaps it would be better Chelsea.
Speaker 9: What's the matter with her?
Speaker 3: I'll have a word with her in a minute.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 9: You know this is good meat, according to.
Speaker 3: The girl who served this, I hate sitting cross legs meat.
Speaker 9: I remember something about it.
Speaker 3: Darve would know.
Speaker 9: He's got his arm around her. Now's extraordinary behavior. She doesn't seem to mind either.
Speaker 7: No. Mmm, nothing tells you there's.
Speaker 9: Something odd about this place? Hmm, this is good. And you try something?
Speaker 3: What's that? M something odd about this place?
Speaker 9: All women? No men?
Speaker 4: I despair.
Speaker 3: I was wondering when you've.
Speaker 9: Noticed, Astra, you must eat something? Please want anything?
Speaker 11: Just leave me alone?
Speaker 12: Yes, I noticed right away. I thought maybe it was a custom. The women start the party off and the men join in later. It's now been going on for one and ah, there are no.
Speaker 3: Men among beyonder people. I'm backs aching.
Speaker 7: Can I lean against you?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 17: Yeah, she's beautiful tandor.
Speaker 9: Isn't she suppose?
Speaker 11: And as this celebration is so special, I authorized the slaughter of Oh you will all enjoying yourselves.
Speaker 9: Well we might if we knew what we were supposed to be celebrating.
Speaker 2: But I don't.
Speaker 11: Your commander where celebrating you and down the new blood TANGI na.
Speaker 3: Please can I leave the party for a few minutes with Dome?
Speaker 9: You know that's out of the question.
Speaker 8: Please turnd onal thing can happen. I haven't been licensed yet, there's no danger, and it was me who found.
Speaker 11: Well, it doesn't look as if Astra likes the idea. But then you'll soon have to get used.
Speaker 3: I don't give it damn what they do now.
Speaker 9: Look, Dove stays with us pee.
Speaker 11: Very well, then Lanat, but no longer than thirty minutes.
Speaker 15: They've been gone from the challenger for fifty hours. Number two, we must devise a method of entering that hulk to find out what has happened to them.
Speaker 16: Even if we had the shuttle or the ferry, none of our service and broiders have the reprogramming capability to operate the craft unsupervised.
Speaker 15: Perhaps we could send a soft landing instrument package into the hulk. At least we would get pictures through.
Speaker 16: Several layers of herculaneum alloy.
Speaker 9: But there is one possibility.
Speaker 16: Number one Thorden's advanced android Fagel. We must attempt communication with him.
Speaker 15: It would be extremely dangerous. Number two, Fagor knows nothing about our existence. He's convinced it with members of the crew who killed his master.
Speaker 9: Where is he now in.
Speaker 17: One of the corridors. He's engaged in an orgy of destruction.
Speaker 14: No one, the cowardly vermin hide from Fagor. When Fagor finds them, Fagor kills, kills, kills, the murder of the Lord Thorndon. So you're hiding in there, come out slowly and Fagor will kill you quickly. Come out quickly and Fagor will kill you slowly.
Speaker 17: Listen, there is no one there. We are all around. We are the angels Angel one and Angel two. We are the Challenger's control systems. All that does is destroy one voice terminal, Fagor, there are a million throughout.
Speaker 14: Then Fagel will destroy a million voice terminals.
Speaker 17: Listen, Fagel. We are lying alongside the hulk of a starship that was once the Challenger's sister ship, many thousands of years ago. Somewhere in that hulk are the four members of our crew.
Speaker 10: They know how.
Speaker 9: Your master was killed.
Speaker 15: Can you move in space?
Speaker 14: Fagal can move anywhere at any speed.
Speaker 17: Then go out there and bring them back to the ship, Fagel, and you will be able to avenge the death of your master.
Speaker 14: You are trying to get rid of me. Fagel will return to the main control room and take over the ship. Then you will tell Fagor the truth about his master. Nothing will be hidden from him.
Speaker 16: No, no, only the crew have the skills to run the ship.
Speaker 9: Thegel will seize the ship.
Speaker 14: You will teach Fagor the skills, and Fagel will avenge the master's murder.
Speaker 16: Well done, Number one a singular success.
Speaker 4: So who's the fastest runner?
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that men were so fast. Have we better find our clothes and get back. Come on on your feet.
Speaker 4: There's no hurry with another ten minutes.
Speaker 3: It take us five minutes to get back to the party. Now, come on on your feet.
Speaker 4: There's so much I want to find out.
Speaker 3: I was born nearly twenty years.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: About why there aren't any men among the under people?
Speaker 3: You do ask some funny questions. Of course there are men. We've got a collection of, at least fifty.
Speaker 4: None of them are like you, though, Dove, I'd like to meet them.
Speaker 3: We must get back.
Speaker 4: My arm, I said, I'd like to meet them, Lenard, Well you can't.
Speaker 5: No one will hear you, you said yourself, and everyone is at the party.
Speaker 4: Now do we see your collection of men? Or do I break your pretty.
Speaker 7: Arm through here.
Speaker 5: It's like our suspended animation chamber on the Challenger.
Speaker 8: It's one of the ship's few original systems still in working order. The lead shielding and double doors were added later to keep out radiation. Five there are fifty one chambers.
Speaker 5: But the whole point of suspended animation is that the entire population is made unconscious when journeying between.
Speaker 4: Stars, not just the men.
Speaker 8: It's better that they're like that. Why we must go now, Dove, I've shown you the men. If Tander were to find out, I could no, Dove, you mustn't touch.
Speaker 4: And why are the men kept in suspended animation and not the rest of Please, Dove said at the control console.
Speaker 5: Sit down, okay, now touch out the video data on forty one, I think, Dove, do as I say.
Speaker 4: Hello. My name is forty one.
Speaker 13: I was born during the seventh generation, and I was last activated during one hundred and tenth generation, when I helped provide Karina of the Vilas family with a daughter. Here is a stereograph of the baby. She had brown eyes and a fair skin and would have grown into a very lovely young woman. I am an accomplish of many musical instruments, and I have a fund of amusing and witty stories. Please touch out your genetic identity code and the bioanalysis system.
Speaker 4: Will display a picture of what our daughter will look like.
Speaker 13: I do hope you would select me, and I'm sure we will have a most enjoyable month together.
Speaker 8: Their elixir is pure, which is why we look after them very carefully. Nearly all the babies born in Holocaust City are mutations and have to be destroyed.
Speaker 5: But even in suspended animation one ages, however slowly.
Speaker 3: They used to be over eighty. As they lose their fertility, they're destroyed.
Speaker 5: And Telson and I are to be the new blood Dove.
Speaker 3: Would you believe me if I said that I don't want this to happen to you both?
Speaker 5: That depends or not on what on whether you would be willing to show me where RPD weapons are hidden?
Speaker 11: Dah, Leonard, you're just in time for the last course. You were longer than I said, Lenard, but I'll overlook it on this occasion.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Tanda.
Speaker 11: You must excuse me, but I must circulate.
Speaker 9: I think you ought to speak to Estra.
Speaker 6: Does there's nothing I have to say to him now?
Speaker 7: Or ever?
Speaker 9: Where did you get this?
Speaker 4: Put it out of sight? Now, listen to all of you, and you astrength.
Speaker 5: Thanks to Lenard, Tellson and I now have a p D side arm each and she's prepared to lead us back to the shuttle.
Speaker 4: In the ferry.
Speaker 9: Is that right, Leonard?
Speaker 3: I want to come with you.
Speaker 4: In that case, I'm staying now.
Speaker 9: Look hesh, look Astra, We've got.
Speaker 3: The chance to escape. What's the point if you stay? We can't manage the Challenger without.
Speaker 10: You, and you know we can't look.
Speaker 3: Please, Astra, we need you and we wouldn't dream of leaving without you.
Speaker 9: What's the point?
Speaker 15: Charna?
Speaker 8: I took Darve away from the party to show him where your PD weapons were hidden?
Speaker 9: Is that the truth?
Speaker 4: But of course it's a trime asking dance, it's the truth.
Speaker 8: The best thing is for Darwin tells him to cover as we believe we'll use that exit over there, as it's nearest.
Speaker 3: To your spacecraft.
Speaker 9: Are you with us, Astra? Good?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 12: Then, Dove, on the count of three, one, two, three.
Speaker 9: No one is to move and no one will get hurt.
Speaker 4: Don't move next time, I won't aim.
Speaker 9: At the floor. Okay, start moving towards the exit.
Speaker 7: And where are you going?
Speaker 10: Commander?
Speaker 9: Back to our ship Tandor. I'm only sorry that we can't stay for the end of the party.
Speaker 11: We'll throw another one for you when you return.
Speaker 10: Commander, Please let.
Speaker 6: Not they'll kill you as you stay, Dove, I'm about to start the motors. Get those all out doors shut.
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Perhaps it would be better if I stayed. When you find Earth, come and search for us. Sure, Hey, I'm goring squatched.
Speaker 4: Goodbye the art, good luck.
Speaker 6: Get a move on, Astra, stand by to follow me.
Speaker 4: Tellson, okay, power on. I've just thought of something we forgot to warn. Tellson about fagor what are you waiting for.
Speaker 6: We've got to have to blast our way out of this hell and make a large enough hold of Telson to follow in the shuttle.
Speaker 5: I'm giving Lenard time to get through the airlock.
Speaker 4: Okay, she's gone. Stand by.
Speaker 6: I never thought that the stars could look so beautiful. Tellson's following steady directional stability feels a bit odd.
Speaker 3: It must be the air rushing out past us.
Speaker 4: Tellson go ahead.
Speaker 9: I watched the turbulence as you leave the howl.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're looking good.
Speaker 9: You've got a clear three feet all around.
Speaker 4: He careful, Astra, what do you do?
Speaker 3: I'm swinging right round the howl.
Speaker 9: What does it look like?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, tell me it's not true.
Speaker 3: It's true, right enough? Now what do we do?
Speaker 9: Astra? What's the matter?
Speaker 7: I think you better tell him?
Speaker 4: Tellson the Challenger's vanished. There's no sign.
Speaker 7: Of her.
Speaker 2: In New Blood.
Speaker 1: Part seven of Earth Search by James Follett. Shawn Arnold played Commander Tellson, Amanda Maray, Shanna Hayden, Wood Dove and Katherine Hurlbut Astra Angel one was played by Sonia Fraser and Angel two by Gordon Reid. Lennard was Jane Knowles, Tandor, Pauline lets Fagor, Sean Probert and forty one John Church.
Speaker 2: Earth Search is directed by Glenderman.
Speaker 7: The part