Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here once again with Jack and let you Jock. How's it going?
Speaker 2: Man, that's the longest one I ever got. Feel like a VIP today, Tony, how about you doing well?
Speaker 1: Doing well here at the final days of the big time media days?
Speaker 2: And we've we we just uh, We've.
Speaker 1: Done a legend Bay expectation show. Now I want to do an Earl Little expectation show because there could be all kinds of good luck getting the numbers right on what can air? Would a I just spoiled there? What Earl Little is going to do this year for the buck Eys. We know he's going to be one of the wires State's three safeties. Where's he going to be? Sometimes he's going to be here, Sometimes he's going to be there. We're considering him the Nickel. He'll be part of replacing Caleb Downs, as Daleen McLean will be, as Terry Moore will be, even maybe as Leroy Roker will be and Jermaine Matthews frankly as well in terms of the Nickel situation.
Speaker 2: But Earl Little began his career.
Speaker 1: At Alabama, played some Nickel there, went to Florida State for a couple of years, played some nickel and played some safety. Was their defensive MVP last year as he was second team All acc I believe a proven guy. I know there have been some critics about his ability to cover, which is kind of a concern if you're playing in the slot against some of these quicker guys. When you saw Earl Little and in terms of signing with Ohio State, Dredge Rigdwire State, what did you think?
Speaker 3: I was immediately like, I hope this isn't the guy at safety. Yeah, I hope that there's another guy coming who's gonna be the guy at safety.
Speaker 2: And boy, that was wrong. That was the wrong opinion.
Speaker 3: I was very happy with Terry Moore when that came, but Earl was first and I was waiting on, okay, this, I hope this isn't the guy. If this is the guy at nickel, right, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: And obviously as things have gone on, things have changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's I wish we would have gotten to see more in the spring, but things are so basic. And then Earl Little was injured towards the end that one. They're not going to show you everything he's doing right, because I saw Jayalen McLain at nickel more than I saw Earl Little from what.
Speaker 2: I was watching at times. And of course when Earl Little.
Speaker 1: Is out, then then Jermaine Matthews is your nickel and everything gets flipped up and Dominic Kelly is a corner. All things being equal and healthy and standard, there will be some movement. Mattatrician is gonna move guys around. As Jayalen McClain said on Wednesday, part of the strength is not knowing necessarily where.
Speaker 2: Everybody's going to be.
Speaker 1: But do you remember the way Jeremiah Smith talked about Earl Little in the spring where he was like he started and then he's like, you know what, like I don't want to say too much, but you could just see Ryan Dane likes to talking about the look in their eyes and look in Jeremiah's eyes about Earl Little.
Speaker 2: I think speaks volumes, you.
Speaker 3: Know, as we are, you know, I don't know what three years into kind of seriously into the transfer game, right, we've had different situations. Pau, Okay, this is you know, we thought it was like this and it goes like this. We thought it was like this, and it goes like this. I don't know if we've had one like this where from the time the guys signed to Spring, the feel about it was so different because once that started coming up, Jeremiah started saying things like that, it was like, oh no, we we.
Speaker 2: Got a real dog dog for real.
Speaker 3: We all should have known from his accolades from his dad. Obviously, his dad was Cleveland Brown, big Browns fans over here at Buckeye Insiders, aren't we retelling?
Speaker 2: And you know, the dude is super serious.
Speaker 3: When I originally saw we got two transfers, he went to Florida State, and I'm just like, I don't know so much about this, but he is a crazy serious guy, all about his business. He entered the draft, or he was going to enter the draft, you know, didn't like the results, so we decided to enter the portal. And this is a guy who's coming to finishing school. So what I always talk about with these with these smart, serious guys in the portal, they want to come to Ohio State finishing school before they go to the NFL, and they take it very, very seriously. This is their shot at the rest of their career. And uh, I'm he's one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's serious. They're serious about him. The physical the physicality that they everybody talks about him, and he likes me.
Speaker 2: He's not the biggest guy. He's like six foot two hundred, yeah, you know, and he's a banger, right, and.
Speaker 1: So he's he's got he's got the experience playing Nickel and covering those guys the way that Matt.
Speaker 2: Patricia is going to use him.
Speaker 1: And this has been my theory before Jeremiah Smith started talking about stuff. But for me, Keiante Scott is the ideal way that if you're going to put a safety type at Nicol, you want somebody like Keantay Scott from Miami, who put up a bunch of numbers, was in the backfield a lot, as opposed to Denzil or Lorenzo Styles last year, who's a corner type of Nickel and they've had, you know, Jordan Hancock kind of is a little bit of both a more corner than safety at Nickel. This is a safety at Nickel, and they've got three safeties now and which I think is a concern in terms of coverage, but they're gonna be doing different zone kinds of things. And that's why I kind of think you'll see her a little more involved, more involved in the backfield, certainly more involved in the backfield than past Nichols at Ohio State, because I think they need to create some disruption.
Speaker 2: I think that's one way they can do it.
Speaker 3: I agree, and I think that he is going to be excellent at it. I didn't see a whole lot of that in his film. But you know, they they said at Florida State, like they're beat guys and such, that he wasn't great.
Speaker 2: When they moved him to Nickel. They liked him better at strong Safety.
Speaker 3: This will be a different situation than that with him, And I wish we would switch to calling this the Star. So I think, you know they call it the Star at the Woody, we should just call it the Star this year officially, now that it's kind of a different mall a role because Nicol just conjures up corner to me and and he's just not that this is a different type of dude in this role and this three pack of safeties. I am somewhat concerned about coverage as well, and he's got if you look at PFF, it's not a great coverage. Great as I recall it, it wasn't you know something that would But what does that mean?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't grade coverage, Tony.
Speaker 3: So we're just gonna have to wait and see when we see And that obviously doesn't because the bad ones they'll come up in the highlight film.
Speaker 2: So I'm not so sure about it.
Speaker 3: But what he's going to be able to bring if Matt Patricia is confident about him there right, I feel certainly good about it because they had a lot of options in the portal and they chose him, and they chose Terry Moore, and you know, I'm happy with with that for sure, and I'm excited about Earl probably, I would say, you know, of all the of all the guys on defense, James Smith and Earl's probably.
Speaker 2: Number two for me.
Speaker 1: They're they're you're you're talking about the the way the thoughts on Earl. It'll change from the time he signed tails like spring. It's like right around spring, it's like a spring football spring game. You're kind of already sizing him up for the heisman. You know, the people were talking about him. So those kinds of possibilities are intriguing in terms of being disruptive and how they're gonna use him. So as we did with Legend Bay, I want to do some over unders. Okay, Now the numbers I'm pulling here, these are all Kiante Scott. Okay, and we'll start with sixty four tackles now, which is about Caleb down said last year and also came McDonald.
Speaker 3: And we can say also that Kante Scott had a similarly great defense, right, yeah, right, it's pretty similar to that in that aspect. Sixty four tackles sounds like a sounds like quite a nugget. But I am going to go slightly over that because Canta did miss We missed a couple of weeks with danger hears the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, yeah, he was a little bank dub. Yeah, no he played fourteen but.
Speaker 1: Okay, they played more than fourteen though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a little bank ub Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the real number that I meant, like the these are the possibilities that fascinate me with what he could do. Thirteen tackles for loss last year for Kanta Scott, and you don't have a lot of a higher state defensive backs get into that realm you mentioned the star maybe I don't know what Jamale Haynes, Jamal Hines or Tyler Mueller back in the day when they were stars. Thirteen is a concerted effort to create chaos. And that's what Cantey Scott was last year, just wondering how much of her A little. The thing is they have more than just a little to do that, yes, And I don't know. Miami maybe didn't because he was he was so good at what they didn't need anybody else to do what he was doing.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to go under there, believe it when I see it.
Speaker 3: Like you said, there are so many options where the buck hyes can potentially come with that kind of heat that I'm just not quite so certain on that one.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go under for that one. The first under of the day, Well, how about this one? Five sacks? Now, again, this is how often are you gonna let him blitz?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Do they need him to blitz when you've got the five man front and you maybe used to have a linebacker there or is it? Does that make it easier for them? So five sacks chuck over under?
Speaker 2: Now? Tell me, now, I think that this is gonna be ano.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with another under here tone, And I just don't feel like we're gonna see enough enough opportunity for him from Matt Patricia to uh to get those sacks on those blitzes.
Speaker 2: So you're under Is it four and a half? Is it one and a half? I'm thinking more of like a three? Okay, yeah?
Speaker 1: And then two interceptions. We know people probably remember one of those from Kante Scott last year against Julian saying and Jeremiah Smith.
Speaker 3: Now I'm going over here, Okay, he had like four last year, didn't he, Cante Scott? Or a little yeah or a little yeah pall Hawk yeah, and uh, you know differ all right, right, But I just love the like when you watch him, he really is a risky guy. He missed his tackles, he goes for big hit, He'll give up a reception going for a pick. This isn't the most disciplined guy, but we love him because of how he plays. Maybe the Buckeyes will coach a little bit out of him, but sometimes part of being great is taking those chances.
Speaker 2: And he's a little bit like that, and I love it well.
Speaker 1: And I remember watching Miami last year in preparation for that game, Kante Scott was not great in coverage either. He was just great and everything else. There were ways to take advantage of him. Why staying didn't necessarily do that. And as long as he doesn't leave the line of scrimmage, you can't take him up, you can't take advantage of his coverage.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think the possibilities are there.
Speaker 1: It seems like this is just too easy of a comp so there's gonna be some errors there.
Speaker 2: Who were you gonna use as a comp Terry Moore when we do that one?
Speaker 1: I think Jordan Foller type because I view him as kind of like the last line of defense.
Speaker 2: But I also think he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Have some interceptions because he had four interceptions yep in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: As the ball out to me, I see him like I see.
Speaker 1: Jalen McLean and Earl Little creating the chaos, and he's back there just cleaning an everything up like Jayalen McClain did last year, where he's just the last line of defense. Dorry, I've got everything else, you know, and he's got ranged presuming you're assuming he's recovered. And I think the rush took a little bit of time in the spring, but he was with the Ones the second half of spring.
Speaker 2: That free safety that he was.
Speaker 1: I just wonder how often he's going to move up and you know, play some of that inside stuff or in the closure to the line of scrimmage. But Ryan Day said on Wednesday, talking about Jalen McLain's communication, he's like him and Earl, you know, they've gotta they've gotta communicate everything. So it feels like Terry Moore is just gonna be back there.
Speaker 2: Just wait, we're talking. See.
Speaker 3: To me, this, to me was my number one transfer when the class was originally signed was Terry Mooer. And coming out of spring as we head into preseason, to me, he is the biggest mystery.
Speaker 1: Do you feel the same way He is a mystery because we didn't really see much from him because again Lee Roy Roker was with the Ones the first half. Then you saw more from Turm, but you didn't see anything right. There was when when Mallie Cooker was a Red Cherd freshman, he was he was intercepting passes uh in practice, when Josh Proctor was intercepting past now it took him a long time to get on.
Speaker 2: The field and show anything.
Speaker 1: But like you haven't really heard any any of that, none of them. Matt Greary loves him, recruited him at Duke, he wanted him to safety. Once Matt Greary left, they put him at running back for like a year and a half before moving him back to safety.
Speaker 2: So I know Greary's thrilled to have him.
Speaker 1: I guess if he's opening the fall camp with the ones that should tell us right. If he's not, then kudos to Leroy Roker. But I think that creates more mystery for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but but yeah, he's the one that we've heard the least about obviously, the guy that we've seen the least and then coming off still about that acl you know, we've not seen him yet.
Speaker 2: But if he gets that spot, then you know, you know, that's fine.
Speaker 1: He's just he's smart, he's athletic, he's productive, and that's what they're looking for, and that's that's what the portal is for. That's what people are winning with, you know. So we'll see how it goes for Isolate, that's a show for another time. Yeah, this was Earl little Go ahead and throw your thoughts in there. What are your expectations for him? We'll check those out on YouTube you can listen to. As you know, any podcast platform, five star rating reviews always appreciated, and as you know, you can continue to find us at Buckeye Insiders dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for tuning in and we will talk to you all later.
Speaker 3: Wish it through a way, don't know one tell me?
Speaker 2: I wish it never.
Speaker 3: Meant nothing to me?
Speaker 2: Were if you could tell
Speaker 3: Me that's the bot's all right, we could steal currently tonight