Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Games After Dark, episode ninety five. I am your host Tomorrow's saying, joined by Lucy James Hello, and Michael Hyam You're and Jean Luke Psyche.
Speaker 2: Jean Luke psych He's not here.
Speaker 1: It's a three person podcast. Wow.
Speaker 3: It was like is he Tylan?
Speaker 1: I know he's helping with the sonics and me and Hiam are like of one mind. That was like the.
Speaker 2: Bee they're hit me with the open Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there are We are recording this at a time where there is an absurd amount of things happening. I saw blessing at a yo Ya Jr. The Newstance of video Games. The class he posted and he posted a TikTok of the you've probably seen this of the person slicing the pizza and then like, oh he's sharing a pizza. Yeah, I'll have a slice, and the person's cut in it, and then he keeps cutting until then and he's like, that's enough slices. That caption was the video game industry today, highlighting them like that. There is far too much going on. So Jean Luke is, as we crowned him last week, the maestro of our streams. A lot of times, So he's out doing Maestro stuff fast. Yeah, and we are recording this prior to any of this stuff happening, So sadly, you will not hear anything about Sonic, You will not hear anything about Horizon, You will not hear any thing about the other million streams that are happening. Instead, what you'll hear about is disco Elysium. Lucy, what you've been doing, what you've been playing?
Speaker 3: Wow? What? Yeah? I mean? I replayed Discolesium over last weekend a little bit before because I was on a spoiler cast with kind of funny So I was on episode of ps I Love You xoxo And if you want to go check that out, please do. I think it's going live on Tuesday. That was a lot of fun, kind of revisiting that game in a time of malaise, in a time of languishing. Disco Elysium, HiT's different, HiT's different. Still fantastic, fantastic game. And I was playing on PlayStation and I know when we first came out on PlayStation, we talked about it and it was a bit like, uh, crashing all the time and wasn't really doing so hot. Played it now patched totally fine, totally great. So brief aside there a boy Disco, but mainly this week I've put a lot of time into Mass Effect two. What's that? Never heard of it before?
Speaker 1: Brand new indie start studio by Allway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I finished Mastect one sort of last Friday. The good thing about working weird hours is that before I log on for the day, I've got a couple hours of gaming that I can do.
Speaker 1: So I'm so impressed that this.
Speaker 3: Trying to rationale, rationalize to myself why it's good that I'm working weird hours, because obviously timelim back in the UK.
Speaker 1: Somehow I played two hours of mass Effect one in the times that I've had it, whereas I'm just terrible at managing my time compared to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you did like a week full of streams until four am every day, so I would you know? I just played mass Effect one and Disco and then yeah, best wait too, I'm about seven hours in. I just forgot how unbelievably good that game is. Like, it is such a step up. I love Mass Effect one. Mass Effect one has such a special place at my heart. Michael has shaking his head, was nodding I've shaken it again.
Speaker 2: Mass Effect one slander I will not tolerate. It is the best in the series.
Speaker 3: I love Mass Effect one. I think my favorite story is the Mass Effect one story, but I think my favorite character moments are in Mass Effect two, like and so, but also just the jump in different animations, how much more cinematic it feels. It's the am I gonna go on record and say this, The music is better in Mass Effect two. Jacob's theme slaps like Jacob's theme is genuinely the best song on the entire Sounddrag Combat feels tighter, way more actionally, But I do I do miss the RPG side, don't get me wrong, But yeah, I'm just having a lovely time. And like Jordan finalized his review that's up on site in YouTube now if you want to go read it and watch it, and you should because he plowed through those games and delivered a great review. And I think one of the things that he really like nail on the head was the introduction of DLC because I'm playing through two now and obviously it's like it makes sense that Zayid and Kasumi are available from the very beginning, because I mean they were Mass of Fact two is supposed to ship with like all of those squad made I think twelve and they ended up getting cut for DLC because of time, and so introducing them at the beginning of the game makes a lot of sense. That's fine. Putting arrival just after you go to Horizon is weird because arrival the DLC is like, oh, by the way, the Reapers are coming. You have to go deal with this right now. And it's like, okay, cool, Well can I do the whole collector thing first? Can I maybe just get that? But it's like the way that introduces it also, some of it is just like lacking in context a bit, like because obviously you meet the AA throughout the course of Mass Effect two. Anyway, she's on Ilium. You go talk to her, she's an information broker. But then they immediately put Layer of the Shadow Broker in. So I just landed on Ilium and I'm going to go to get Fane and Samara, and I'm kind of in my head like, don't accidentally activate the Layer of the Shadow Broker stuff too. So I mean, like on top of that, though, it's still unbelievably good game, and I'm just very happy to be playing it again.
Speaker 2: That's what's up. Yeah, and we're going to be talking about Mass Effect too in great detail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michael and I are going to be on Norman dy FM. I'm not sure when the episode's going out, but we're recording it this weekend, so yeah, please be excited for that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the homies Kenneth Sheppard and Eric Van Allen. Guy got to get mixed up between Alex van Aiken. Uh to to two great boys of the industry, but I got I got to make sure I got them sorted out and also at least from Fan Bye formerly of Washington Post, formerly of Game Informer. It's gonna be an all star crew. You know what I'm saying about Mass Effect two? Hell yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So Lucy's been playing disco and Mass Effect to him. Hit us with what you've been going I think you've been going through. This is where I'm my brain is just like, tell us what you've been inflicted with to this week.
Speaker 2: I have been inflicted with emotional trauma and childhood trauma and daddy issue. Well, I mean that's perpetual, but as in terms of video games or entertainment, Uh we are you okay?
Speaker 3: I was like, where is this going going down on the Oh no.
Speaker 2: We don't have to. It's it's it's a little too early to talk about talk about traumas over here. It's eight eighty four right now.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say shout out to you for like coming on, because obviously Tam and I like eight fifty four was like five pm for us, But you have come on, come on, Elie, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's great to start my morning with y'all and to talk about video games. So I think last time I was on this, on this very podcast, I talked about Near Replicant and Final Fantasy fourteen five point five. Now I'm here to talk about Near Reincarnation and Final Fantasy fourteen five point five fifty five or five point five five. Oh my god, I am so predictable and I don't give all fuck Like Yo, I'm about my bullshit and that's what you're gonna get from me. And so Near Near Reincarnation is the mobile game that I talked to I'll say Naki Yoshi a while. I talked to Yo Kataro about it in addition to talking about Replicant post so you can check that out on gay swad dot com. But basically he was like, hey, Mobile gotcha games, Like that's just kind of fucked up, but you know what, I have to do what I gotta do. And he was like, yeah, if if we if we are going to do this, I want it to be something that everyone could be proud of rather than simply make money. He's like, listen, square Enix wants to make money, so I got to take care of that. But if we're going to do this, we need we need to make something dope, something that is worthy of the Near name. So I think it's the way he talked about it was really really open and transparent with that, so it makes me, uh, it has like I have faith in the when the game fully releases, and I play Cino Alice a lot, and that game is cool. I like what that game goes for, so Near Reincarnation is like I would think of it like I'm just playing the closed beta right now, so it's not like a final version of it. It's obviously it doesn't have all the content it's going to launch with, but I it's it's cool, it's it's nice, it's a collec I think of it as a collection of side stories in the Near universe, so you'll see things that are complimentary of what we already know from the previous Near games, and then you just get like these other side stories that have that you've never heard of before. And then so if you've played Near you know about weapon stories. So each weapon in the game, in both Automata and Replicant, each weapon has a backstory and about its specific name, like the name of the weapon. So as you upgrade them, like through level upgrade them to throughout the game though, you unlock more about the lore of that weapon, and you can think that's kind of this It's kind of a similar thing in Reincarnation where the gotcha element is where you get the weapons, and then like the like those unlocked stories and then also other stuff. So it's taking a lot of those side stories and then visualizing them through gameplay. And so there's like there's like two phases to it. You have like an exploration phase where he plays the little girl and the little ghost that follows her. Oh shit, sorry, I actually knocked my microphone. But then you kind of walk through this open or not, you walk through a bigger world, and then from there you kind of collect other weapons, and then you go dive into other stories where there's RPG gameplay and there's like a bunch of narrative stuff. There's a lot of voice acting in it. There's beautiful music. When you boot up, the game says please play this with sound on because there's beautiful music in it, And I'm like, say that, say that shit, And that's facts too, because Kagiokabi also scored this game too, And it's just like it just has that that ethereal vibe, that light orchestration with the voice, like the choral voices. It's very much in your game. It's it's really cool. I'm excited to see. I've only played a little bit of it, about maybe an hour or so, but I want to see what the overall monetization looks like once this game fully releases. I think that's that's I think that's a big concern for everybody. But content wise, I think this is pretty fucking cool. So yeah, I'm ready to be sad over mobile games, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, dude, do you reckon the objective of not having a shite mobile game is like's they're on track to hit that.
Speaker 2: I think so because the I think like the way in which this game drives you to spend money is like it doesn't impact the actual Like they're going to make the content that they want to make. They're going to tell the types of stories that they want to tell. So if they just do that, then the things that you play through and unlock and experience in the game are the quality of that is totally up to the team working on that, so Yo Katara and all of his other writers and storytellers and whatever. So yeah, and I kind of feel the same with Sino Alice, but on like a smaller scale. So this is I think this is gonna be really cool. I think people should pay attention to it. But yeah, Final Fantasy four team related to Near in many ways. I didn't get to talk about fan Fast because I wasn't on the last episode and I was also out and about so if y'all missed it, Final Fantasy fourteen fan Fest was one of the best online experiences I've ever had. So much I saw.
Speaker 3: I just saw this outpow of emotion for like, yeah, the whole weekend.
Speaker 1: So there's obviously incredible. There's obviously like gameplay stuff but I think what people are probably wanting, we're going to want to know the most about is what was to deal with the whole musical act band thing that was going on, because I was like, I was into that the most, but I imagine people won't have known what was going on there, so break it down for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was one of the coolest. I think it represents why both the people who make the game developers and why fans love Final Fantasy fourteen so much more than it being a video game. So there was two separate performances. One was a piano based one the first night, and then the second one was the Primals live performance. So the Primals are the Final Fantasy fourteen band led by the composer Masioshi Soken, and everyone in the band works on the game like they are developers. I think they're on the sound team. So they performed the songs. Uh, they create a lot of the songs, especially like the rock rock based music in the game, and then they perform it live at FanFest, and they were actually supposed to do like a mini tour before a pandemic hit. So yeah, it's it's really cool. The second night they they ended the olive FanFest with a live performance of many of the songs from Final Fantasy fourteen and then so yeah, it's fucking wild. So and they embraced the memes. So yeah, they really they really lean into that ship. They had members of the the community developer or the community developers. Uh, they were doing like, uh, the dance that was made up for the twinning theme, which is one of the dungeons. Uh, they had them. They had them dancing on stage. And then now Kiyoshida also went on stage to perform a song with them. After after like two days of fucking hosting q and as hosting live streams, doing a whole keynote speech and do this all all this other stuff, he ends it by fucking performing live with the with the band and shit, and I don't know. The first night the piano performance was like also embracing the memes. And if you play, if you play Fan Fantasy fourteen, you know what I'm talking about. It's the way they embrace their bullshit and the way like us as players embrace their their bullshit. Well it's like a two way street. We embrace their bullshit, they embrace our bullshit. And it's it creates like such a fun dynamic that when events like this happen, it's, uh, it feels very I don't know, it's it's extremely unique. Like I don't there are other live service games that people are very very passionate about, like you see it in Warframe when they have what ten ocon? Yeah, yeah, when they do ten OCN and then obviously blizz Con, people get very very into it. Whatever game it is, Okay, relax, but yeah, and but Final Fantasy fourteen is it's it's the Weeds Dream. So yeah, it was. It was so cool man and I covered it. That was two weeks ago, but I covered it with all sorts of things. And it was on a Friday night going into like two am or three am, and on Saturday night going into three am or six A. I was up till six am because yeah, I didn't give a fuck, like this is this is my time, Like, yeah, we'll call the shots now. Ain't nobody up So I'm gonna hit publish motherfuckers or something, shouts out to Gabe Growin, who also helped out with that afterwards. But yeah, and like the last thing I'll say is that it was it was really emotional at the at the end of the of the of the whole fan fest, because after the Primals performed, all the devs went on stage and like gave their last words and then uh, yeah, if if folks followed it, the composer Masochis Socin came out and said that he, uh, he had been dealing with cancer at the start of Pandemic and he didn't tell anybody because he didn't want anyone to worry about him. But he told people who need to know, like now Kyoshida because obviously he's working on the he was working on music for the for the game, and it was it was it was really fucking wild, Like Soakin is one of those dudes who are like, oh, no, I want to I want to work, I want to work, like this is this is what I do, this is what's going to keep me, keep me fighting. And then like now Kyoshida was just like crying his eyes out on stage and it was fucking wild man. It's And then so one thing I'll mention is that there's music. There's a song in Patch five point three that is it's kind of like the final song to cap off the whole shadow Bringer story. And then when you when now when I listen to the song, I think about it very differently because he wrote that song while he was dealing with cancer. Uh. And the song is very much about it's very reflective of Shadow Bringers as a story, but it's very much talking about like coming to terms with the end of things. I'm like, holy shit, yeah, and I was. Now it's like, okay, this is like the perfect song to end this this like huge epic story in the game. But also I can imagine like he puts some of that heart and soul into writing that song. Yeah, and ah fuck Yeah it's file fasty fourteen is great. Yeah, and the people who work on that game are also great as well. So yeah, I have an interview. I did an interview while I was away with Kosha, So I'm gonna be working on putting that up for the weekend.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it sounds like you said you were away with.
Speaker 2: I would love to kick it with. I was like, hey, let's just let's just go kick it. I was away Karma and I didn't interview, So yeah, that'll be up on site. It's on site hopefully for the for the weekend. Yeah. That's that's Those are the things I've been paying attention to and caring about in the world of video games.
Speaker 1: Nice, lovely, So my main thing. I've been not playing as much Matter Effect as I would like to, but I have been playing a decent amount of Knockout City, which is very, very very good. I'm surprised. I'm having a lot of fun with Knockout City. So my first instance of playing the game, it pretty much couldn't have gone better. I played it with a bunch of p people. It was under kind of funny podcast, kind of funny stream on Friday where they were raising money for Palestinian children, and it was me, it was Greg, it was Blessing and the snowbike Mike Nick. I think that's pretty much everyone that was there. And it was like all of us against each other and in the perfect scenario where friends are playing, you know, and learning the game together and figuring it out, and it was so much fun. So basic kind of premise of it is it's a four versus four I think dodgeball game.
Speaker 3: Oh so, I don't know why in my head I didn't know what it was. I got it confused with the Ubisoft one of the.
Speaker 2: Rocket Arena Na.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is like way more like. The thing I love about it is it's very simple, it's got a decent good amount of depth, and it's just very very elegant in its design. It reminds me of it could have been if this label still existed. It could have been an EA big game, like right next to like SSX big. So like very simple. So that you you run around the arenas. There's like three or four maps I think, and you pick up standard dodgeballs and you hold the trigger down and you press the trigger. You can throw it. You hold it down and you charge it, and you've basically the timing dictates or timing of how long you hold it down dictates how much power you put in, thus the distance and on the other side that means the speed coming into you. And you press another button, which for me was left trigger. I was playing on Xbox controller, and you basically put your hand out, your hands up in the air, and if you time it properly, it kind of like you'll catch the ball coming into you.
Speaker 3: And then you can is it first first person?
Speaker 1: No, No, it's third person. It's third person. And you don't aim the ball at all. It auto aims to towards the characters that are in front of timing. Yeah, so it's all about timing. And then the interesting part of it becomes when you catch the ball and throw it back, it kind of stacks momentum, so it becomes quicker and quicker and quicker and quicker. So it becomes these the kind of like back and forth extremely fast ping pong games. And then there's variance to it, like you can do a pump fake where if you've got the ball, you press, you press the you press the stick in or you press a button and you pretend to throw the ball, which might that's what. Yeah, it's a different kind of pump fake, Lucy, you.
Speaker 2: Don't watch basketball. The playoffs are going on. Come on, let's get it. Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you will like pretend to throw the ball and you want to try and bait the other person into doing their kind of grab counter because that leaves them open during their recovery animation so you can hit them with the ball properly. And then there's like if you've got to jump a double jump and a glider, like a Fortnite style glider, because there are some maps where there's gaps and that kind of stuff, and you can like travel across the map and get into like behind enemies and special not special, but like advantageous positions. And while you're jumping, there's two kind of modifiers. You can spin in the air or you can do a front flip in the air if you like charge. If you charge your throw, jump up in the air and then do a spin and let go. It does like a a kind of like a curved throw, so that will let you get to enemies that are trying to hide or just trying to sneak behind objects, or it might be a good way to kind of if you position it right, you can make the ball go out of their peripheral vision and then come back, so they need to adjust their camera. And if you do it like a forward flip, it loves the ball. So if you lob it and at an enemy and they turn and like they don't catch see you doing the lob it might look like you don't have a ball, but you've already throwing the ball and it's in the air. Or you can like throw the ball and they might be expecting the super fast straight up towards them and it actually goes in the air and then you can there's like intricacies where you can throw the ball up into the air and catch it, and you can like body check enemies or upon opposing players, and when you body check them, they kind of drop the ball, so you can body check them, grab the ball and throw it at them and then then check them. Yeah, sure to check them. And then there's like modifiers and balls, different kinds of balls. So like there's an American football which basically functions as like a sniper rifle shot, so you hold it down and it's extremely fast because of the shape of the ball. So like when you see one of those, you have to you basically you are going to get either your timing is impeccable and you can grab it, or you're going to get hit and you need to try and get out the way. The game doesn't really so when you when you're being aimed at, there's like a red border around your your screen, so that tells you someone is about to throw a ball at you, so you can you've got a little bit of time to quickly move your camera, find whoever's throwing the ball at you, and try and get into a position where you can you know, counter it, and then the other ball that I really like is a multi ball, which is like you get three in a row, so you can do things like you can either like hold them one by one and just throw them to take out three different opponents, or if you know the other opponent is really good at countering, you could be like I'm gonna either just throw these one after the other and hope that they're not good enough to counter three times in a row, or like throw them one after the other, but like mix up the pacing to keep them on their toes. And yeah, it's just a that's basically the game, like the entirety of the game, and then it's got stuff like customization and kind of like cosmetics, and there is a battle pass, but none of that stuff is really impactful on how the game plays at all. Just a really charming, really well made game that has a lot of like it's got Splatoons, slash like Jet Grind, Jet Set, Radio, Future Energy, and it's like they did a ten day block party for it, which is like a free trial. But I think it's relatively cheap and hopefully by now our review will go up. But I think Alessandro Barbosa gave it an eight so, and he was like he praised it as well. The only kind of real downside is like some of the other special balls aren't all that fun, Like they're not all that great, but like I have not really had that much of an issue with them. But yeah, it's cheap, and it's very and it's got cross play so you can play on pretty much any very cheerful. Yeah, and they built their own net code for it. So this isn't EA that did it. It's another studio. I think it's Valen Studios or something like that. They built their own net code and we were playing, like I said, I was, I'm in the UK. The rest of the kind of funny crew are in America, and we were on we were split between PlayStation PC, and I think there was an Xbox player as well. Barrett was also there. I think he might have been on PlayStation and Barrett was there too. I just remembered because he's usually on the ones and twos, but I remember he was like he was doing double duties there and there was very little like I know people have said they've had like hitches in gameplay, but like, as far as I can tell, it's been very smooth and honestly, like, I highly recommend it, Like it's super fun. It's one of those games where you can play a couple of rounds in between something else, like to warm up, or while you're figuring out what you're really gonna spend your day with, like hop onto a friends, like in our situation, Lucy, like we know, start off with a few games of that and then jump into Overwatch is what we usually would do, right, Or you could play it like I don't know, you know before, or you've really just done a big fun of Fantasy Dungeon in him's case, and you're like, you know, I just want to rewind play a couple of games of that. And it is fun whether you're playing alone or with a team, but with a crew is way way more engaging, just because you can start doing strategies, like you can pass to each other and that will kind of mix things up a bit. And there's also you can one player can when you're running, you can hit a button and you do like a role. You become a ball, and then the another another player another player can pick you up and then like charge you and you transform into an actual destructive AOI bomb that you can throw at the h which was a strategy that Snowback Mike was employed employing liberally and it's cheap as shit, and I hate it because it just like does massive AOI and you basically can't escape it. One of my favorite balls is the cage ball, where you throw it and if it hits the enemy team, it puts them in that in a cage small ball, and then you can pick up that ball and throw them off the map and they can't do anything. Oh my god, so that you can troll people real hard. Yeah, But overall, like very very happy to see EA with a rare W, like an actual good minia Like, wait, what.
Speaker 3: Do you mean red W They've had it takes two.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about this with their sports titles, like with this, like it's not extreme sports, but like spin off sports titles outside of like you know, the FIFA and Madden and that kind of stuff. Like I I loved when they were doing like you know, NBA Jam and NFL Street and all that kind of stuff. Thief Street, Ye, Thief Street. Those are those were the kind of SSX games. Those were the sports games that I really enjoyed. And when they went away, like in favor of simulation stuff. It it kind of I lost interest in that genre almost, and there are definitely studios that are still making like those kind of spin off sports titles, but like, no disrespect, but there's a level of polish that often doesn't exist when you get an EA version of that. You know, like there's a bunch of great skate skating titles out there, but like you look at a game like Skate and it's a it's a whole different.
Speaker 2: You know, kind of like, yeah, different take on it.
Speaker 1: It's a different take on its level of polish there, and obviously they have bugs and stuff, but like it's it's just a different level.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm definitely it definitely stands out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely stands out. And I think it's on game Pass Knockout City on Xbox Game Pass, not PC game Pass, So yeah, I highly recommend it, well worth checking out. I'm interested to see how they keep it alive because I know it had a lot of players to launch and at launch and tie in yeah, skin I've like that stream. I was like, if they're not talking to like whoever owns the license to the Dodgeball movie to get all of those like that is makes perfect, perfect sense.
Speaker 2: This game has so much Yeah, this game has so much potential to like, I feel like it has a lot of potential to do collab work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and that they've got a good niche there because they could do like really stupid ship but like work in that kind of Will Farrell Adam Sander universe exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I put a golf ball in there and then license Happy Gilmore and there you go.
Speaker 3: Like your entire all your team's wearing Anchorman suits, like they.
Speaker 1: Have the will far extend, like Fortnite has introduced a Batman and meanwhile, Knockout the City's got Happy Gilmore or Little Nikki or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That that's that's dope, man, that's cool. It's like family friendly, so I feel like you can also reach out to get like the Wiggles in it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Wiggles, we're gonna wiggle over to the news section of this podcast, The Deep Blue Sea. All right, So at the top of the show, I talked about how we will not be talking about Sonic, but I fucking lied, because we've got Sonic announcements are happening Sonic.
Speaker 3: Roger Craig Smith is back as Sonic. That's the only Sonic thing that I care about.
Speaker 1: Batman is voicing Sonic again. I mean, Roger Craig Smith has done a lot of work, but in my mind he's origins Batman always. But yeah, he's been He's been on Sonic for so long in the games, and there was a period where it was like he's not going to be doing it, and it was there was an outpouring of support and sadness from the Sonic community, which I believe they like to call themselves Sonic Fights has made that shut up. So if it is you know, if they don't do that, already do it. But now he's back. Son has returned and it's amazing. Yeah. And then on top of that, there is a new Sonic team game, so is it uh the team behind Generations and Sonic Forces and they shut off a very very short teaser so we don't actually know much about it. It's basically Sonic running through environments, which you know what that ship is not new.
Speaker 2: That is what he has done.
Speaker 1: If they had it rolled up with this is Sonic, he is now a fireman. I would have been like, oh ship, But yeah, it's just Sonic being Sonic twenty twenty two release window coming to PC, PS four, PS five, Xbox one, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo's Switch. I hope all this information remains true because I'm reading it prior to it being live.
Speaker 3: Well, it's happening now, because I can say in new Slack, yeah, I really want to know why Gabe go and just bosted Sonic Pregnant Rock because I'm not watching this stream, and I really hope it's Sonic.
Speaker 1: That's on top of that, Sega's working on a compilation that brings together Sonic the Head, Chog one two three, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD. More information about that soon. Awesome. I'm glad that's old school Sonic fans will have something more to look forward to. As someone who loved Sonic games as a young ling and was a Sega kid, I would just like to say, holy shit, they are milking the ship of those games, aren't they. God damn.
Speaker 2: Get them, Get them hedgehog utters out there and start milking them.
Speaker 3: This is like Hedgehog teats, Like, what's happen? So I read a really awful tumble post just today about someone who thought that who this is derailing it? But who thought that jar Jar Binks was sexually attractive? So that's, you know, cool. I'll send it to you after legit, not even read it out loud because it is it goes places.
Speaker 2: But like, who is that's a Michael High original? Wait what was the what was the thing you said earlier? Who's sexually attractive?
Speaker 1: Binks? Oh?
Speaker 2: Jar Binks? No, don't think shame Come.
Speaker 1: On, I want to clap them cheeks.
Speaker 2: Oh ship like that. That's a relax but also that.
Speaker 1: That's imagine those floppy ears. I was, you know, a lot of movement in that scenario.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's on you.
Speaker 1: Sonic Colors is back. You remember Sonic Colors. I think I went to previous Yeah, I believe it was we in three DS. I remember it being decent, but not remember it being I don't remember it being amazing. So Sonic Colors Ultimate is a remastered version of the twenty ten week game coming later this year, and it's going to have all new visuals, some bonus goodies for pre order, and there's a deluxe version that includes early access for Sonic fans who really can't wait to take some speed as I say, that's a drug in video game form. You let me finish. I was like, just you know, breathing in.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you finished, okay, you know.
Speaker 1: And then my man's Sonic is gonna be making some cameos. He's gonna be in. Yeah, he's gonna be No. I wish it was, though I'd love to throw some dogs face. Uh, it's not for a Fortnite. Oh my god, He's gonna be in you guessed it. Olympic Games Tokyo twenty twenty, where here's they showed a trailer of it, and it doesn't look like Sonic the Hedgehog. It looks like someone dressed in a Sonic the Hedgehog suit. It's KASIMIKIRIU if only, but like the proportions are human. It genuinely looks like someone in Times Square, you know those costume people from Times Square just got scanned into the game, and like there's like humans around him. And then he's like doing shot put, looking like he's had ten Mickey D's before he put the suit on, and now he's gonna try and run like they show him in the like the the relay race, and my man is absolutely in the middle of the pack, like he should be I guess dirty, and I.
Speaker 3: Guess they can't say that if you play a Sonic or whoever, if you're wearing the Sonic costume, you will automatically win.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a few a few seconds later, like he starts picking up speed and then his feet catch fire and there's literally like a trailer fire. And then and then like if you look a few centimeters to the left, the nearest opponent is like looking at him like what the fuck? I'm a human? How much supposed to compete? How do I even compete? And then he's just like waving to his adoring fans.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, I mean wait, so it's not Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games. It's just Sonic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maria is probably like, you are Sonic, you are washed, carry on with that ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mari was like, I was prepared if we were going to do this last for a whole year later at this point.
Speaker 1: So there's also going to be a bunch of Sonic themed items that would be in a bunch of other games, like including a two point hospital that is a property probably about managing a hospital. I don't know how Sonic.
Speaker 3: Is Sonic going to be in Total War.
Speaker 1: I would love to see Sonic in Total War. Oh my god, Yo, Sonic is going to be on Amazon Lunar.
Speaker 2: It's Sick.
Speaker 1: Sonic Force.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say Sonic is going to be on Amazon Alexa if only, and then I was like, okay, well if pac Man can do it.
Speaker 1: So Sonic Forces, Team, Sonic Racing, and Sonic Mania will be on PlayStation now as well, and on June twenty fourth, Sonic Mania will be on the Epic Game Store. So Sonic running around various places. And then finally Sonic Forces Speed Battle new game, not new game, mobile game with a limited time event which will introduce private races.
Speaker 3: Oh god. Also I looked at it like as you were saying that, and someone has already has already photoshop Sonic into the uncut gems, a very diamonded Sonic.
Speaker 2: The Sonic Sonic Fighting is going to be in Last Judgment as well, Sick, and chances are is going to have a Sonic outfit on when he's trying to go under cover. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there you have a bunch of Sonic stuff that is going on. Please please be excited if you're a Sonic fan. Beyond that, the big big news stories of late have been the Switch Pro is rumored to be unveiled before E three.
Speaker 3: This is probably getting it unveiled before tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna. Yeah, we're gonna, We're gonna. Yeah, We're gonna look immediately outdated, aren't we? Like we said, if you are listening to this, Wait.
Speaker 3: Wait, we've got a Hedge Bets so Dying Light two. Let's say it's next year, Horizon definitely this year, but God of all gets pushed.
Speaker 2: Are you making predictions?
Speaker 3: I'm making predictions. This is Hedge and bets, Hedge and Betts.
Speaker 1: I know the answers to all these, do you actually? I know a lot. I know a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Fox saite, um what else? Starting today?
Speaker 2: Smiling? Look at tam over here is shittyed in grin.
Speaker 3: And then switch pro will be announced with more to show at E three.
Speaker 2: Is that's what's happened today?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like it's going to be before E three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before three. I'm of course shocking. I don't know anything. I'm an idiot, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Seems to start today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. E three started two weeks ago. I don't know if you know that three. Actually I remember the first three twenty one meeting I had was the day after E three twenty twenty so yeah, yeah, So the report is, so, just to be clear, this has not been announced. It's been rumored for a while to switch pro, and then recently there's been a number of reports indicating that it's going to be announced very soon, the thinking being this is coming from Bloomberg and then verified or corroborated by Eurogamer speaking to unnamed sources, saying that Nintendo wants to unveil it so then the developers can speak about their games running on the system. At E three. It will reportedly have four K support and seven inch o LED screen and will cost over three hundred and it's supposedly going to phase out the existing switch model, not the light model, So there's going to be a light model which is cheaper, and then this four K model, this high end model, which is over three hundred dollars, which is what three hundred dollars is what the current switch.
Speaker 2: Cells at this higher model.
Speaker 1: Yes, the higher model is going to be over it, and that is partially because the the pricier components and the rising labor costs are the kind of costs of that are going to be passed on to the consumer, according to the reports.
Speaker 3: Also, I genuinely thought you said higher model.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's what I was saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So that's the big story. You folks interested in upgrading your switch?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, yes?
Speaker 3: Because I have no impulse control when it comes to purchase.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah. I mean, like, I would love it if I don't care about any of the ship. If they said this thing's got like one, you know, terrorbied memory or some shit like that, or it's got like a decent amount of memory, not the absolutely pathetic amount of stories that they give you in a standard switch. That's what I'd be like. Oh hell yeah. I mean I'm gonna buy it either way, because, like Lucy said, problems with I was control. I bought an Xbox Series S and I have not taken it out of the box. Are you serious?
Speaker 2: But you got it?
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 3: I was playing Overwatch with Tam and he went, I might buy an Xbox Series S. And then we literally played one game and then there was a lull in conversation and he just went, I bought an X one.
Speaker 2: So oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I had like memories of how I'm going, Oh, it's so cute, and I was, like, it's cute.
Speaker 2: I have. I put it on my desk right here, It's right in front of me. It's like in front of my monitor. It fits right under like my monitor's height. And then if I ever just want to boot it up and play something at my desk for a minute, that's what. That's what. And like I connected to a ten ADP monitor, so it doesn't matter if I have a in that case.
Speaker 1: That's what I want it for. I'm gonna connect put it up on my desk and play games on stream from it because I don't have I've got a Series X, but it's connected to a TV that's like both in my UK set up and in my US set up, like the TV is always behind me, and I don't want to like do any long cabling to get it to stream, to get streams or anything like that. So I was just buy one of these small ones and now I have it. But yeah, I'm also I would definitely upgrade what about you him.
Speaker 2: Well for the switch pro Hell yeah, because the thing for me is I like I love Switch like I love Switch. I love the game playing games on it. I just want more consistent frame rate and better native resolution. That's it. That's all I want. That's all I want, because I'd be playing like Pokemon and shit and like, damn, this thing runs at twenty fps when it's raining out in the fields, and like what if it ran it a little bit better? And I think that that's that's all I want. And thinner bezels so you'll have the I would like bigger, bigger screen size, but the same console size, so just like cut down in them bezzels, bro, you know what I'm saying, Like, and that's all I want. Everything else is gravy, like icing on.
Speaker 3: I want to girl with the big screen and thing.
Speaker 1: Be out for the lads. The question I have for you, Michael Hyam tech expert, is so there was some chatter recently about the Switch pro potentially having this is when it was still one of the many rumors potentially having some technology that would kind of upscale a lot of the visuals two four K or close to it without much input from the developer. Do you reckon that's feasible with you reckon that's likely or feasible or are we going to live in this new horror dimension when now everyone's having to do patch upgrades for every Switch game and everyone intoitter is like, oh I want because now I'm thinking Archieplay Dark Soul is portable, but does that even run out four K or I'm gonna am I gonna have to hope that from software and scam called bandi.
Speaker 4: Wow, then Wow is gonna have a word with you when they stop putting our fucking atrocious anime games, I'll stop calling them scam Cole Bandai, All right, that's the deal.
Speaker 2: Wow. I'm the one who previewed Scarlet Nexus and.
Speaker 1: My man I have I have been very open with my dislike of Namco's bad anime games, and I will continue to hold that They've got a lot of other good content. I respect it. They've made some good games, and I appreciate their efforts. But they are they are. They have gone on this reign of tyranny with bad anime games for too long, and it needs to stop.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm also not saying you're right.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I hear you the same time. At the same time, they put out dok cels for they have. They put a lot of good content, so I do appreciate that. I'm just saying, you know, but like I'm not going to have to beg them to put out a patch for doar cells on SWIAM to make it run.
Speaker 2: I don't know, press x to doubt that or like, well the thing. The thing is, like I don't like whatever it is, it's not gonna run Nato four K. It's probably to do some kind of like checkboarding or upscaling, of course, because like what is a part like something portable isn't gonna run these kinds of games at NATO four K, even if it's docked. So I don't know. I I would predict this is just me, uh predicting is that it'll probably run something like where like unpatched Xbox games. What if you play on series X where if it has a frame limterter, it'll be able to hit more consistently like that frame limit, and if it does dynamic resolution, it'll be able to uphold a higher resolution. That's all I can ask. Maybe there will be like like a developer update, but it's it's not like like this, this isn't going to be a similar jump from Xbox one to series X or PS for to PS five. It's more like Nintendo like the three DS to the new three dsh So I don't think there's going to be as much room for developers to be like, oh, we've revamped our game. It's more of like okay, like we can run a little bit higher resolution, the framewer will be better, And I think that's all they really have room they would have room for.
Speaker 1: So so the technology that I should probably clarify, the technology that I mentioned was from another Bloomberg report so on confirmed, and it was n Video using n videos DLSS technology, which was previously just for Archax graphics cards, and apparently with the introduction of like dls S two point zero, they figured out the AI that they used to upscale that technology.
Speaker 2: Yeah those, Yeah, there's like the RTX cards use a specific GPU core for AI based stuff. So if they can fit that, like that's just not cheap. So they could fit that into a switch and do like DLSS, that shit would be fucking wild because DLSS is like pretty dope games that utilize it, well, it's like it's indistinguishable. Like I played control with with an RTX card doing four k DLSS and I was running six dy fps, where if I did native four k, I would be like in the thirties forties, And like the actual gameplay experience is kind of almost indistinguishable unless you take like screenshots with one or the other and like zoom in on text on like a wall far away. Yeah, and if a switch pro can do that, that would be Yeah, that would be wild because like, yeah, Switch uses Nvidia already, so like they have that partnership. I'm sure they're figuring things out, whereas like PS five and Xbox still are are using a md stuff, So that would be that would yeah.
Speaker 1: So Bloomberg says it is happening, but obviously it's just their report, it's not been confirmed. And they also kind of note that developers will still need to add DLSS support to the which games. It's just the the actual dlss N video technology has been advanced to the point where it could feasibly run on that hardware. And also the algorithm, the AI that's like upscaling all that stuff doesn't need to be individually trained on each game or anything like that. It should just work across the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably that's probably something for like, okay, all games from future or like moving forward are going to or most games will have moving forward that kind of technology, that would be sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Next story, God of War Ragnarok.
Speaker 3: Is I just I just really enjoyed this one is swag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Swagnarock. Lucy, what's going down with the Ragnarok kerfuffle? What what made what made Corey barlog post a gift of of of himself of who was it again? It was like exasperated gift like heavy side. Yeah, that's that's what happened. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there was like some kind of Sony investor thing and they gave a presentation and in it they so everyone just assumes that the next God of War is called God of War Ragnarok, right because in that first initial trailer it said Ragnarok is coming, and everyone was like, oh, well, they're probably not going to call it God of War two, they'll probably call it God of War Ragnarok.
Speaker 1: It was it was it was Jean do in the face pump, I told you.
Speaker 3: My god, damn, Oh yeah, there it is. Oh he did. He also set it that Oh only people Corey Corey mentioned can reply very good. So Basically, they had this investor thing and they had a presentation about sort of PlayStation's upcoming slate, and whoever made the presentation, it looks like they pulled a fan made God of War Ragnarok logo to put in the presentation, and then everyone flipped out because they're like, oh, name confirmed, name confirmed, And then it looks like they've gone back and actually changed it to just be a generic God of War logo. But it's like, it's the fact that it's the it's the titles pulled from YouTube image search, which is the real chef skill.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that makes it tricky is like if they if they publicly acknowledge it as Ragnarok, they also kind of speak to what's the scale of the game to a degree, because like the way that first game ended, like it set up something pretty huge, right, And if they if they're like, oh, yeah, this is called Ragnarok, that means people are going to start thinking about Oh, that means it's not like a Mars Morales style game, it's this kind of game or vice versa. So I think they're very very careful about branding that game before it's they're ready to talk about the size and the scope and scale of it. But yeah, that was a that was a fun little story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He followed up. Corey Barloc followed up the Jean Luc Picard face palm tweet with Captain Jack Barrow saying, now bring me that horizon, which is very very good.
Speaker 3: Hey, gout all Horizon. There you go, good of all Horizon Forbidden West.
Speaker 1: Imagine that just accidentally, Ay andraos in the.
Speaker 2: Same PlayStation all Stars to aes Go.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was a fun note story, a bigger story. Perhaps. Dragon Quest twelve has been announced. Hi am dragon Quest, dragon Quest. I am. How excited are you for another JRPG? Baby?
Speaker 2: Another one? You know what? Dragon Quest has been a has been a gap in my j RPG repertoire. Yeah, I mean I played eleven Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive edition s dragon Quest eleven s. I play that, But there's I've only been like, I'm not invested in dragon Quest the same way I'm invested in like Final Fantasy Persona shom Go. That's a series is like that. But I do respect dragon Quests a lot. Dragon Quest twelve we got a title screen and it's said to be more mature, darker and shit like that. So all right, that's cool. I'm excited. I want to see more the Dragon Quest for adults. That game already, it came out. That game came out last year. It's called Yakuza Like a Dragon, So peep that if you want Dragon Quest for adults. Also Dragon Quest ten offline. Tam mentioned Dragon Quest ten. Also Yo Saito who works on Near and Naki Yoshida, who's the Final Fantasy fourteen god, worked on Dragon Quest ten. So but yeah, what's up that they're bringing that to like an offline version of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in in not in the West, just only in Japan.
Speaker 2: I hate see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you truly hate to see it because I would love to play that game offline.
Speaker 2: That w be dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be fun.
Speaker 2: But yeah. And then the other big thing was Dragon Quest three three make. They're doing Octopath Traveler style HD two D remake of Dragon Quest three and people are very excited about that, and I think that that's cool as fuck. I would love to see I would love to see remakes of older RPGs do that kind of style. There's like discourse about people calling it the Octopath Traveler the Octopath engine. It's just you. It's unreal engine for jah. Yeah, but just like styled in the same way as Octopath. But that is really fucking cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say about that. I think there's a lot of I wish Square Knicks would go back into its back catalog of these games a bit more to remake them and do it face really because like those Final Fantasy games, those early Final Fantasy games are amazing, and they just like so hard to find now and play, and also like the versions of them that exist are.
Speaker 2: So get the shite mobile versions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's don't like. I wish they would go back and be like, let's create the definitive versions of all of these of fancy games for the modern age, and then from that point on we won't be releasing you know, the older ones over and over again, because they exist now that you can google them and download them. At this point, if you're a dirty Rama.
Speaker 3: If you're a Vacuus Spider, if you're.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, I like, I fun, that's that. I like that's that's that's cool.
Speaker 1: Do you like rum as a boss?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I think is fairly easy.
Speaker 2: It's just like, you know, keep your distance.
Speaker 1: Watch out, watch out for the spiders and you're good, watch out for the rear up and there. Yeah, that's that's that's that's the one thing that will get you in that game. But yeah, a lot of good dragon Quest content on the way also, so I don't know, you know, Sonic fans, happy Switch fans may be happy, dragon Quest fans happy away just deeply saying around the internet, and God of War fans looking around the room like what the hell's going on here?
Speaker 3: But yeah, my only experience of dragon Quest is when Tam you did a preview of like ten or something and I had to edit it. Oh no, no, I had to do like a little conversation with you about it, and I'd never had any never played, never seen a dragon Quest, and I just remember being like, I have trained for this.
Speaker 1: You bluffed it, though, you bluffed it, well bluffed it. I'd love to see it. That's a mark of a consummate professional.
Speaker 3: But yes, limes are cute.
Speaker 2: They are. They remind me of Matt Espinelli.
Speaker 1: Also cute. Our listeners. Let's go to the listener mail section if you want to send in a question to this here podcast email after Dark podcast at Redventures dot com, or you can come to the Discord channel, which is for of wholesome, nice people just talking about games and fitness and comics and various other things. Game development, game development, sharing, the photomos. Yeah, you can do that by hitting myself or Lucy up on Twitter and asking for an invite, and we can. We will screen you and then send you an ice cream people anyway, I don't know if anyone else does. I'm always scream at you, Yes, a scream and screen. I always go in and see like I will. I will genuinely hunt down your like Instagram and you're see if you're wrong, see if you're wrong. And yeah, I don't want to see anyone any wrong ins in there. I want to do my due diligence fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, due diligence.
Speaker 1: So I do that and you can send in questions through those avenues. Lucy, can you read the first question from Nicholas? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So hey, after Dark Crew, love game Spot and love the podcast. Just a quick question, do y'all have any specific video game anxieties? For example, two door elevators in games give me intents called sweats? Which way am I being let out? Which way did I come in? Will enemies be there at the end of this ride? Will I be facing the wrong way and get ambushed? How can I position the camera to see both doors. Some of the Halo games, as well as Control are especially full of these two door nightmares. I've been playing Mass Effector for the first time, and I don't know how two and three work, but I love that one automatically points you in the right direction when you activate the elevator. Those BioWare folks are true gate Wait, those Biowere folks are truly game designers after my own heart.
Speaker 1: Thanks La almost the flawless reading there from Lucy Severe. But I think like for me, it's very similar. It's it's like I hate with a passion sometimes, like I hub areas that have multiple spokes, like they give me such anxiety, or like any era like Resident Evil, for example, Resident Evil eight get to a point where you're in one area and there's like four launching paths, and as soon as that happened, I was like, shit, I need to think about so much now. And it happens with like most like games where if you're like walking down a path and there's like two directions you can go in or three directions that and that gives me so much anxiety end up doing that thing where like I'll poke into one, come back and then check another one out, and then come back and then check the third one out and be like okay, And.
Speaker 2: Then you go into one direction and activates a cut scene and then transitions you to a whole other phase of the game. It's like, damn, I didn't check that other There's probably a chest there. Then you reload it, you go in the other direction.
Speaker 1: There ain't shit there, there's nothing that is. The other one is like when when when it doesn't like transition you, it just locks the door behind you. I'm like, no, no, I want to go back please. Yeah. So that's my one of my big video game anxieties.
Speaker 3: See anxieties, I think, and this is why I struggled with Breath of the Wild for a bit, is because I just didn't know what specifically to do or if I was doing the right thing. So I think, like without reassurance that I'm going the right way. Like I'm kind of the opposite person and you know when they get put into an open world game and they're like, it's so free, I can do whatever I want. I'm just like, no, tell me what to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have to do.
Speaker 3: And I mean the thing is is like visit the Ford Divine Beasts is all well and good. That is direction, but it's not as much direction as I would like.
Speaker 1: I think the Zelda, the thing is like it gives you. It gives you like directions, like it's like, oh, go to you know, this village and chat to this person. But then it's like you're in an open world that is massive, and it doesn't really like I would have loved a like ideal path kind of thing in Zelda because sometimes the amount of times I was like, all right, I'm going to this village and then cut to ten minutes later, I'm like, halfway up a mountain is freezing, and like my stamina cannot get me all the way to the top of the mountain. So I'm just looking for like ninety degree jack good rock so I can put link on there long enough to recover some stamina and climb up a bit more. I'm like, fuck, I wish I just told me there's a path that way that would take you straight there. And I think like the open nature of games coupled with like not enough direction is where it kind of kicks me.
Speaker 2: Damn. Yeah, well I used to him, oh h snow bike, Michael Hyam snow bikel Michael Hyam snow bike.
Speaker 1: They call him snow bicycle bicycle sometimes and it always makes me laugh so much.
Speaker 2: That's cute. I've I've had multiplayer anxiety and I've I've written about this a lot, but I think now I not that's I don't have that as much now. I just don't have any desire to play multiplayer games. Like Fann Fans fourteen is very different thing. It's an MMO. It's more of a like we are. It's like a party, not like a oh a party of player, party members, party of players, just like yo, I'm just here to I'm here to party. So that's like the only multiplayer game I'm really into now. Like I used to play like Call of Duty and stuff like that, but I don't, like, I don't really have desire to do that stuff. But things like Counterstrike going into like competitive matches. This is why I've I want to play Valorant, but I'm reluctant to play.
Speaker 1: I know I need I need you, I need someone like you for just this reason.
Speaker 2: I know, but I was just like, I don't want to let anyone down, even if they don't care, like, ah man, they don't know who I am. But I just, you know, I don't like that feeling. So like multiplayer stuff, I've kind of, you know, been games like Battlefield, but they're so big that no one can really blame me if I'm like a bottom fragger on like Battlefield, whatever the fuck, it doesn't matter. But I just I was like, do I click the do I double click that desk top icon to start start this game? Or do I, like, I don't know, fuck off and go through the timeline and doom scroll on Twitter.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It's like a game like you mentioned, Battlefield is like it's fine if you're kind of like not you're contributing, but you're you're kind of doing your own thing. But like Overwatch is the same where the six but you like, even if you're not very good and you just pick a healer like Lucio or Mercy, you can contribute a lot. But yeah, it took me a long time to get over that kind of multiplayer anxiety.
Speaker 1: Time. I've got the exact like illustration of your of your example and this is I have. Again, I seem to have all of your anxieties as well. I think we all shared the anxiety. Yeah, it's like I was playing I was playing Valeriant and it was like maybe my third match or something, and I got it. I was in a position where I had the spike the bomb and I ran to like the point and I went to plant, and you have to plant by holding the four button, which is what the bomb is assigned to. And I'm used to counter strike where you get the bomb out and you hold a click button and it plants. So like I one didn't know what the button was to bring the bomb out, and two didn't know you have to hold that same button to plant it. Why does that make sense? Like I can't fire my pistol with the one butt, Like why am I planting my bomb with the four pun But as I was trying to figure it out over the comms, these random players I'm playing with ire just like what the fuck are you doing? What are you doing? What you're doing? Plant the bomb? Plant the bomb? I'm like, oh fuck, And then like what are you doing? Dude? Stop throwing? And I'm like I fuck, don't know, Like why does this make this doesn't make any sense? Why am I not doing it? And then like I eventually figured it out, and then like everyone was like, bro, you new, are you new? And I was like, yes, I'm new, So what the fuck is right doing making me plant with the four button? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I had this. I had the same The same thing happened to me when I was playing Valerie Beta. It was like yeah, it was like my third match and then and see us go you you you can hold E to plant the bomb. So I was like pressing E when I was doing the thing that you did, like oh, maybe I'll have to whip it out and like alls shit, uh And then I was like yeah, but my clip was tight, Like I got like three kills. I got like clicked on three heads and there's only one more player and they're like you're a plant plant plan. I'm like a ship.
Speaker 3: Well now you know, I I want to play Valerie, but I just I've not I don't have that count strike background. I just don't feel like i'd be good at clicking heads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll hate it because not only do you need to be like super precise quicker, and like Lucy's finely doing that like she's played enough Overwatch, and I've seen her play enough.
Speaker 3: I've never touched a video game before.
Speaker 1: But the thing, the thing about it is like it's literally split second and you're dead and then done and then you don't have and then you're done for the round. Basically you're out.
Speaker 3: Although hands up and like fuck man, although I will, I will say I do have this going for me. And Tam knows this because he was there when I discovered this. So, being back in the UK, I got a personal trainer because it's much cheaper than getting one in San Francisco, like for video games.
Speaker 1: No no, no, oh, Lucy's hired shroud to teach.
Speaker 2: Sorry, my head wasn't like oh, clicking heads learning to play like counter shreck style game.
Speaker 3: Fine, sorry, I got a personal training. And today she sent me sort of like my food meal plan thing and I looked through the profile that she'd set up for me, said Occupation Gamer. It's like I'm just gonna go walk into the scene because I remember saying that I was a video producer, but I play a lot of games and yeah, just like Occupation Gamer. And then and then I looked at the calorie intake thing. I was going through it with Tam and I was like, this seems like pretty low, and he was like, you don't move a lot, so this is probably on par with your own.
Speaker 1: I was like that. I was like, that's very low for a human being.
Speaker 2: And then it was only twelve hundred calories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I was like, oh, this person has pegged you as a gamer. And then it's like, all right, not a lot of calories. Calories out, not not happening too much.
Speaker 3: So I was talking to Dave about it, and she put my activity level at like one point two, and we were trying to figure out what that was a scale off.
Speaker 2: They didn't give you scale.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's probably ours or movement.
Speaker 3: I don't know, biscuit. I've been like a few times and I'm enjoying it, and now I have at endless vegetables is a treat.
Speaker 1: They can have as much salad as you want. But like I was saying earlier, you're like, oh, I'll just eat lots of salad, But to make that salad actually palatable and tasty on a regular basis, you have to put dressing on it. And then it's like you put a t spin of dressings like that is two thousand calories and you're like, fuck me, Michael Hym, can you read the next user submitted trust Trusty Patch From Trusty Patch here, I forgot I forgot the word mail, so I just used the user You know what, I think We're living in a society where everyone should forget mails.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, beta trash uh game spot after Dark Crew, which completed as opposed to live service or early access game? Do you most want additional content for Securo and Hades are too? I here talked about a lot, but what game has left you with the most unscratched it gross from Trusty Patch.
Speaker 1: Notes, I mean Securo and blood.
Speaker 2: Bone another another another, another expansion like Old Hunters.
Speaker 1: Would be sick. Yeah, I mean I guess. I guess Bloodbone doesn't count because of Old Hunters. Ye still want more addition, Carol, give me that, Tomoy, they'll see give it to us. Oh let me, yeah, let me play as another character in that in that world. G t A five.
Speaker 3: It's mostly not even because I'm like I I enjoy my time with GT five, But it's the fact that they talked so long about a single player thing and then nothing ever happened that. I'm like what was played there?
Speaker 2: And then it basically turned into a live service game.
Speaker 3: And then it turned into I think the most popular game of all time or like one of the highest grossing games of all time.
Speaker 1: So where is that fucking Qurey and Arc?
Speaker 3: Was Quary and Arc in a book?
Speaker 2: I want more additional content for man. I don't know. I'm I'm I feel like I'm good. Like all the games I play are like like I'm boo off that Like that was sh it was nice? Like, uh, Persona five Royal like fucking delivered, yo, Like I want more Persona I wanted for so long. Then Royle is like, how about this? And I said, hell yeah, ten out of ten literally that's what I did. And uh so, like I'll maybe I would like to see something more from Strikers. That would be sick because P five Strikers is fucking dope.
Speaker 1: Yakuza doesn't have a lot of expansion stuff, like.
Speaker 2: Is it also has seven fulls?
Speaker 1: I would if they were like, we're releasing an extra Majuma chapter for Yakuza zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I would. I would like that ship. I feel like Yakiza, like a dragon has there's so much content in that game, though, but there's so many more branches, and obviously they're going to do a follow up to that game. It's I'm like a ninety nine percent sure that like A Dragon two or whatever the hell is called is coming. But like, man, there's so many good characters, so many good side stories that you can in addition to what's already there for Yakuza, like a Dragon, I would love to see that. I would love to have party members from the old Yakuza games helping each bond, which maybe that might be the sequel. So who else I might get my wish?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get Sonico in there. Hell yeah, there could be a job like a job class, yeah, Hedgehog, the job should be you are in a sonic suit in the Olympics. Yeah, Olympics, So there you go. Yeah, I love to see that. Yeah, I'll read the next question coming from Daniel Moreno, who says, is there a specific piece of game journalism that influences your style, sensibilities, or maybe has been in the back of your mind for years? Bonus points for links in the description.
Speaker 2: Specific pieces. I thought a lot about this one, and like, oh man, maybe I don't read. Yeah, I think I think more about more about people than I do about specific pieces of content. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish it's fire though, Like that's the thing, like you you don't, I don't think influence. I guess it does count as influences, but like the era, like it's like, you know, we we grew up reading game Spot, Giant Bomb, like watching game trailers, watching you know, one up with that kind of stuff. So a lot of the not style, but a lot of like my understanding of how to create content in this field is like based on those, but ultimately you want to put your own style on it. And I remember a long time ago being like I very consciously being like, Okay, I need to stop trying to ape other people's style and try and create my own style. And I'm still trying, but you know, that's kind of the goal. I don't know if I'll ever do that before I'm done, but you want to try and leave a mark in your own way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think that's that's also the case for me, is that like I read people's stuff and be like, damn, I want to get on your level, but kind of on my own terms like I have my own lane, and I think I figured out that I just need to get I want to and need to get better at how I do my own style because like I write in a very I write a lot of like if you look at a lot of my reviews, it's more focused on the emotional aspect of the experience, and like that's my thing. That's that's I've realized, like, oh, this is how I do it. So I'm going to try and be a better version of myself. And like I'll pick up different words or kinds of ways to phrase things from things that I read, but I'm not I've quickly learned that, like, oh, I'm not going to try to be like this person because that's hard to do, like to do in your own style. But also that's just not I don't that's just not how you professionally develop. I don't think I get ideas from people or like ways to think about things from other people, Like folks. I think Austin Walker is extremely influential for me, and I I've learned a lot of things from the people that I follow in terms of like what is what does progressivism look like? What things are actually problematic? Versus like and why certain things are problematic and whatever games or stories about that, and then like I build off of that, and then I can express those kinds of ideas and feelings but in my own style. So I don't know, but speak to Austin, I think, like the one of my favorite things I wrote, or he wrote, was is Kentucky zero review for Advice. I think that shit was fire, And I'm like, yo, you get on that level. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's similar to what Michael just said there. It's like you kind of get inspired by people and pieces over time, but in a way that you can't really pin down because you don't really want to completely take someone's style and ape it yourself. But I think people who's writing has always been I think over time just exceptional and something that I like every time I read something that Christian Donlan has written from Eurogamer, Like, he is an incredible writer and his writing not only is he one of the nicest people I've ever met, but his writing is kind of like a warm hug in a way, like some of the reviews that he writes, like he just comes at things from such a compassionate viewpoint, and I think that's one of the big thing to learn about working in video games is that like they are games themselves, like it's a miracle that any of them get made, but a lot of them are passion projects of people, and so I think coming at things from that angle is a big thing that I try and do, and I definitely learned that from from Donlin. But also I think there's just like pieces that over the years have stuck out that I remember enjoying Sessler's review of BioShock Infinite at the time. I don't know why that monolog kind of always springs back to mind for me. But then there's like for tams done over the years, or just like anything like stuff that Michael's done over the years, and just things that you know that your friends and colleagues have written or worked on and you're like, damn, it's that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a big part of it as well, like being in this where we are, like we have a growth trajectory and we also have like our responsibilities can change and we asked to do different things. And the good thing about being where we are is we're surrounded by people who are amazing at what they do. So like I wasn't. I didn't do video until I came to GameSpot. I didn't do video well until I game came to games Sport or vo that kind of stuff, and that that process was learning from Lucy for example, who like sat me down and remember when we did like vio sessions and that kind of stuff, and then we did like the same for video appearances and that kind of stuff. Like and a lot of that is like collaboration with people, and it's not like it's not influencing, it's just no knowing that they have something that you can learn from and identifying that you can learn something from them, and then just paying as much attention as you can to them. Because of that, Like I don't want to ape highm style and I won't let his style influence me, but I can identify the fact that I love it when he writes from the heart and he's like writing about emotion that kind of stuff, and I can be like, that's something I should try and do myself, and then I'll be like, and there are times where I know that I want to like for example, let's take this hYP hypothetical situation where if I know I want to speak to something emotional in a game. I'll usually have some kind of you know, point of reference for that, and that might be, Oh, I want i want to speak emotionally about this, so I'll go and read Hyam's persona review or something like that, right, and that'll be like get in the right mindset of it. And I'm not like aping the style or like drawing direct influence. I'm just getting in the right mindset for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that. That's exactly what I do too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is like, yeah, people you just look to to kind of just get that extra juice, you know what I'm saying. It's like the same thing when you when like when we're in office and I asked, like Cali or something to be like I'm trying to say this thing, but like do you have like what's a good word or phrase? Like what do you think of this? It's kind of it's kind of it's kind of like that too anymore. I think. Also, yeah, I know I want to give a shout to Natalie Flores like I always do. That's my homegirl. I think that we have similar like in terms of writing like emotionally about the things we experience. I think that we have a very similar mindset in terms of what we value in our games and how we express it. So when I when like anything that she writes, I'm like, that's that that's that's that shit that I do like. So it's kind of cool to find someone that you kind of identify with that is on the same wavelength as you. I think she's definitely so shouts out the fanboyite, you know, the vibes. But yeah, So the.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I like, if you want advice or like, try and think about what you're doing and you're kind of objective and find ways to achieve that in non so like the way I think about it is whenever I write a review or a feature or a new story or whatever, I'm trying to tell a story. And I don't necessarily read game writing to get better at that. Only I will read comic books, and I'll read fictional novels, and I will watch YouTube videos to be like, how is this person telling a story? And that is massively important, Like don't focus down on just journalism game journalism, game content, because you can learn how to tell a story by experiencing a story yourself. And that's like when it comes to writing previews or reviews. That's mainly how I approach them. Tell a story, don't just review a product. Yeah, okay, I think we're going to leave it there. Cool, it's been We're coming up to an hour and a half now. I think we've had good times. We've had bad times, to have been emotional times, ulso want to clap them.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was that was bad, that was terrible. Don't ever say that.
Speaker 1: Ya, but we had those times together, yes, we him were even up to and where can people find you?
Speaker 2: I have been on vacation. I've been in the b X all day vibes, so you can catch me on one sixty seventh to stop at one sixty seventh eating Jamaican beef patties and mongool and go into Yankees games. But I am back in full swing. I have a lot of shit going on actually, so some Final Fans fourteen stuff as always motherfucking near reincarnation. I'm gonna do some things around that. I'm actually going to a preview event, a virtual preview event right this minute, for something I can't talk about quite yet, but you will see some coverage of it next week. And it's in the same realm as you know my bullshit. So all y'all weaves get excited. Yeah, and I'll have that. I'll be doing some of that. And and for next month with regards to Play for All and a certain industry event, there are some exciting things lined up that I'm going to partake in. So we keep your eyes peeled.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's exciting. Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, Lucy, we're even up to you.
Speaker 3: I've been doing a lot of stuff for Play for All e three, a lot of booking for some cool guests. We're doing our charity thing again, so Tim and I have been working together getting folks in to help us raise money for able gamers. More details and line up coming very soon. Other than that, I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games, and I'm on PS I Love You xo XO on Tuesday talk about Discooldio Discourse, Elysium Discourse.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 2: We're going to get it and then and then you can find me in all about bullshit at Michael p Him on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yep. The P stands for that was for Jean Luke, just keeping him on his toes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, I'm on Twitter tomorrow, h just talking about nonsense.
Speaker 2: There the P stands for pino.
Speaker 1: It was close. Yeah. Yeah, I am streaming on twitch tomorre h tw dot tv for scire h. Just playing games, you know, just doing that stuff, trying to get a side hustle, going become big enough. But can say that just leave, leave and becoming streamer full time. I don't. I want to do that. I'm trying to be the discounts on RB here.
Speaker 2: Check out you. You was talking with him too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was on as I didn't plug that. Yeah, it was on the Hassan Piker's stream. That sounds great. I love I love his stuff. I'm obsessed with him, so not a obsessed with him. I'm obsessed with his content. I mean, like I would be obsessed with him. I would, I would admit it if I was my man, get lie Bro a specimens, a specimen, but like his his efforts to kind of educate what I'm into. Yeah, but I'm streaming and playing games, and then I'm doing stuff. Yeah, we're arranging play for all, we're sorting out the E three content stuff A Beyond that, I honestly cannot tell you what I'm doing. That's pretty much it and you can find me on Twitter, et cetera. I already said that anyways, see you next week. Thank you for tuning in. Stay safe, stay happy, Drink lots of water, get loads of sleep. Goodbye peace, don't something else