Speaker 1: Okay, So for anyone trying to get their head around Linux system administration, you know, it can feel like this huge amount of information right, almost.
Speaker 2: Overwhelming, totally, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you need to get up to speed, like fast, but cut through all the noise really get to the heart of it. Well, today, that's what we're doing. We're taking a deep dive into a stack of sources that are designed to help you not just you know, learn Linux, but actually start thinking like a linux's admin.
Speaker 2: And what's really cool about these sources, I think is they don't just give you the what, the commands and tasks. They dig into the.
Speaker 3: Why, the philosophy behind it, exactly why does Linux work this way, We're going to explore that core philosophy, look at the really essential tools, and even touch on the mindset you need. It's like a shortcut, kind of yeah, a shortcut to not just knowing facts, but actually understanding this whole critical ecosystem that, let's face it, runs a huge chunk of our modern world.
Speaker 1: Okay, So our mission here then is to really boil down these essential principles, the key tools, the best practices for linuxes admen. We want to give you insights, practical stuff you can use that goes way beyond just scratching the surface. Well, look at why Linux is built like it is, how that design gives you so much control, and what it actually means to work with a system that's fundamentally built on trust and openness. So kicking off the source material jumps right into this really interesting comparison the whole black box versus open box thing in software.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fundamental.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine relying on tools where you just, yeah, you can't see inside, you can't really understand how they work exactly.
Speaker 2: And the sources talk about this black box syndrome you often find in proprietary software, you know, like Windows for example. Right, the insides are basically hidden. Something goes wrong, and what's the usual advice.
Speaker 1: As you tried turning it off and on again.
Speaker 2: Pretty much just reboot because you can't actually figure out what's really happening in there. It's sealed off.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, contrast that with the open box idea of open source. You can see the code precisely, you get the source code, you can look at it, you can understand it, you can even fix it yourself if you need to Wow, there's a great little story and the sources about openofice dot org. When the ownership changed and things went in a direction some developers didn't like what happened. Well, because it was open source, they could just take the code, fork it and start a new project LibreOffice.
Speaker 1: Ah right, I use libra office.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They just picked up the code and kept going. That's the power of having that open box. You're not locked in.
Speaker 1: And that leads right into what the source is called the Linux Truth, which sounds quite grand.
Speaker 2: It does, doesn't it, But the core idea is simple. Really, the operating system has to trust the user.
Speaker 1: Unlike systems that maybe try to protect you from yourself too much exactly.
Speaker 2: Some systems put up guardrails, they limit what you can access, what you can change. Linux fundamentally doesn't.
Speaker 1: It trusts you, which gives a cisadmin huge flexibility.
Speaker 2: Immense stability. Even as the sources kind of joke when you do stupid things. It assumes you know what you're doing, or that you're willing to learn from mistakes. It gives you the power.
Speaker 1: And this goes way back right to the very beginning.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, it's bigd in Linus Torvald's back in ninety one. He started Linux because he wasn't happy with Minnix's limitations right and crucially he shared it openly from the get go. But even that wasn't totally new. It really followed the spirit of UNIXI Okay, Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie. They designed Unix to be open accessible right from its own start. It's a philosophical lineage, not just code.
Speaker 1: So that openness it connects to this idea of freedom in open source, which isn't just about cost, is it?
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. It's the classic distinction free as in freedom, not just free as in.
Speaker 1: Beer, meaning you can use it, change.
Speaker 2: It, use it, study it, modify it, share it. That freedom has real world consequences like what well, For one, it fights against planned ops lescence.
Speaker 1: Ah, when things are designed to break or come outdated.
Speaker 2: Exactly the sources mentioned, keeping like twelve year old laptops or ten year old netbooks perfectly usable.
Speaker 1: Because you can run up to date secure software on older hardware.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you're not forced into hardware upgrades just to run the latest os. And this philosophy, this power. Look where Linux is now everywhere pretty much since twenty seventeen. It runs one hundred percent of the world's top five hundred supercomputers. Wow, it's on the International Space Station. It's the base for Android on billions of phones. It's in your smart TV. It's the engine driving the Internet.
Speaker 1: So it scales from tiny devices to massive.
Speaker 2: Systems, effortlessly watches to supercomputers. It's incredibly versatile.
Speaker 1: Okay, and shifting gears slightly, but still related to efficiency. The sources talk about this lazy cisadmin philosophy, which sounds bad but isn't.
Speaker 2: Huh, Yeah, it sounds wrong, but it's actually about being smart, really smart. Also, lazy here means you automate everything if you do a task more than once script it it means you test things thoroughly, early and often and controversially. Maybe it even means sometimes you test in production.
Speaker 1: Really isn't that risky?
Speaker 2: It can be, but the idea is the real world often shows you things a sterilab environment won't. It's about building robust, self healing systems that don't need constant manual poking.
Speaker 1: So the laziness is about reducing future.
Speaker 2: Work exactly, freeing yourself up from firefighting to do more strategic work. And it even comes down to simple things like common sense naming for files and commands to save typing, to save typing, and crucially to reduce errors, less typing, fewer mistakes.
Speaker 1: So thinking about all this, this philosophy, this mindset, maybe you listening right now should reflect do you have some of these traits?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 1: Are you naturally curious? Do you like taking things apart just to see how they tick?
Speaker 2: Not just what they are, but how they work?
Speaker 1: Right? Do you find computers maybe more logical or predict people?
Speaker 2: Sometimes a common CIS admin trade.
Speaker 1: Perhaps do you really like having control over your tools, your environment? And do you actually get what open source means beyond just free stuff?
Speaker 2: If those resonate, maybe you've got the CIS admin's spark.
Speaker 1: Okay, So building on that philosophy, let's dig into the actual components. What is Linux under the hood? Because the sources are clear, that graphical desktop the thing most people see, that's just the surface.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's just the visible part. The real power lies beneath.
Speaker 1: So what are the fundamentals?
Speaker 2: Well, any os basically manages hardware, right, your CPU, your RAM, that's the fast volatile memory that forgets everything when you power off, right versus storage exactly. Yeah, and your hard drives or SSDs, the non volatile storage. The OS coordinates all that.
Speaker 1: And in Linux, the core, the.
Speaker 2: Absolute heart is the Linux kernel. That's Linus Torvald's original creation, constantly evolving. Okay, but the kernel alone isn't enough to do much. You need the tools, and that's where the G and U core utilities come.
Speaker 1: In, developed by Richard Stallman and others.
Speaker 2: That's right, an enormous collection of essential command line tools. The kernel plus these utilities working together, that's what really makes up the Linux operating system you interact with.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, for maybe one of the weirdest but coolest Linux ideas, everything is a file.
Speaker 2: Huh Yeah. It bends your brain a bit at first.
Speaker 1: What does that actually mean? How can hardware be a file?
Speaker 2: It's a really powerful abstraction. It means the system represents almost everything hardware, devices, network connections, processes, you name it, using the same file interface.
Speaker 1: So you interact with them like files pretty much.
Speaker 2: Think about devices. They show up as special files in the dev directory. Okay, so your hard drive might be DESDA, a partition devsdo one, and because it looks like a file, you can do things directly to it, like what well The sources mentioned treating an entire hard drive as a single file. This makes things like making a perfect byte for byte copy or securely wiping data using commands like DD or shred surprisingly straightforward.
Speaker 1: You're just writing data to a file exactly.
Speaker 2: Or reading from it. The sources even point to de random and de random. These are literally files you can read from to get a stream of random numbers.
Speaker 1: That's wild. So if the gy isn't the main way in and everything's a file, how do we actually talk to linox? How does sisadmins work?
Speaker 2: Good question? The command line is key, and there are basically three main ways to get to it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: First, you've got your graphical terminal emulators. These are applications that run inside your desktop environment, like as four terminal. The sources like its tabs or others like tillicks or console.
Speaker 1: Right the little black window pretty much.
Speaker 2: Second, there are virtual consoles. These are text only logins you can switch to even if your graphical system isn't running. Super useful for fixing things. Third, for connecting to other machines. You use remote login primarily SSH secure shell. It's replaced older insecure things like telnet.
Speaker 1: Got it, And there's some specific terminology here terminal console shell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be confusing, but it helps to be precise. Think of the terminal as maybe the physical keyboard and screen. Historically, the console is often used for that primary direct interface. The shell is the program that actually interprets your commands. Bash is the most common one. Bash okay, and a session is your entire interaction from the moment you log in until you log out. Knowing the difference helps you diagnose where a problem might be.
Speaker 1: And Bash itself the default shell. It uses those short command names fitting that leezy admin idea.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, LSE for list, CP for copy, MV for move. It's all about efficiency, and.
Speaker 1: These commands come from those core utilities you mentioned primarily.
Speaker 2: Yes, they fall into two main buckets, the G and U core utilities basic stuff for files, text shell operations, and the utel Linux package open that one. More system level things like mount for file systems, f disc or LA BLK for discs, wellicle for a calendar. Really fundamental tools indispensable basically totally. The sources say flat out without them it is not possible to accomplish any useful work. You literally can't run a Linux system without them. Digging into them with the info command is a great way to learn.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have the philosophy, the core parts, the basic tools. Now how do you actually use all this to solve problems? What's the cysadmin process?
Speaker 2: The sources lay out a nice, almost scientific algorithm for problem solving.
Speaker 1: Oh really, like a formula sort of.
Speaker 2: It goes knowledge, observation, hypothesize, test, conclude.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down right.
Speaker 2: So knowledge is what you already know about how systems work. Observation is gathering data. What are the symptoms, what do the logs say? What are the monitoring tools showing.
Speaker 1: Like using top maybe exactly?
Speaker 2: Then you hypothesize, based on your knowledge and observations, what do you think the cause is. Then you test your hypothesis, try a fix, change a setting, and finally you conclude did the test work? Did it confirm or deny your hypothesis?
Speaker 1: And it's not always linear.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely not. It's iterative. You often loop back. Your test might give you new observations leading to a new hypothesis, or you realize your initial knowledge was incomplete.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: There's actually a funny anecdote in the sources about fixing a big old mainframe but sitting on the Prinker control unit sitting on it. Yeah, turns out a cable was loose and the weight receded it. It's a slightly silly example, but it underlines how crucial observation is sometimes in unexpected ways.
Speaker 1: Huh okay, So observation is key. What are the go to tools for that? For a monitoring system health.
Speaker 2: Well, for real time process monitoring, TOP is the classic, but EAH TOP and a cop are often preferred now they're more user friendly, more informative.
Speaker 1: What are you looking for with those?
Speaker 2: Key things? Are CPUs with zero percent idle time? That means they're totally swamped. High memory usage is another flag, especially if the system starts using swap space heavily.
Speaker 1: Swamp is like emergency re on the hard drive right, slows.
Speaker 2: Things down exactly. It's slow, so high swap usage usually means you're running out of RAM. These tools also help you spot specific CPU hog processes that might be causing the slow.
Speaker 1: Down, and once you find a hog.
Speaker 2: You can use commands like kill to terminate it if necessary or re nice to lower its priority, making it play nicer with others. Gives you direct control over resource usage.
Speaker 1: Okay, this next one sounds fascinating looking inside the running system using PROC like reading its mind.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think about it. PROC is a virtual filesystem, a window into the kernel.
Speaker 1: The sources call it, and it uses that everything is a file idea again perfectly.
Speaker 2: You don't need special tools. You can just use standard commands like cat to read files directly out.
Speaker 1: Of prock like what kind of files?
Speaker 2: Things like proc meminfo gives you detailed memory stats. PROC and winfo tells you all about your processor. Proclodav shows the system load. It's real time info straight from the kernel just by reading a file. Incredibly elegant.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay. Switching from the live system to hardware health, specifically hard drives. They fail eventually. How can we predict that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, drive failure is a big one. That's where smart comes in, self monitoring, analysis, and reporting technology built into most drives, most modern drives. Yeah, and utilities like smartphone will let you query that smart data. The goal is to predict hard drive failures before they happen.
Speaker 1: How reliable is that?
Speaker 2: Well? The sources mentioned a study by a cloud storage company looking at tens of thousands of drives. They pinpointed five specific smart attributes.
Speaker 1: Just five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smart ads five, one eighty seven, one eighty eight, one ninety seven, and one ninety eight. If the raw values for these start showing high numbers or increasing quickly, yeah, it's a strong sign that the drive is degrading. Time to back up and plan a replacement, probably sooner rather than later. It's not fool proof, but it's a very valuable early warning.
Speaker 1: Good to know. Okay, Beyond monitoring data day systemin work involves a lot of text file manipulation from the command line.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it's bread and butter. Linux is brilliant at this. You've got data streams and pipes. The little vertical bar symbol A that lets you chain commands, cat a file to display it, then pipe its output into WC to count words or lines. Super powerful for transforming data on the fly.
Speaker 1: And redirection The angle brackets.
Speaker 2: YEP redirects output to a file overwriting. It appends to a file and feeds a file into a command as input. Essential for saving results or processing data files.
Speaker 1: Then there's matching filemames.
Speaker 2: File globbing using wild cards like for any characters, for a single character, for range of characters, or for specific options. Lets you work on groups of files really.
Speaker 1: Efficiently, and searching inside files.
Speaker 2: That's rep It's indispensable. You feed it a pattern and it finds lines containing that pattern in files. You can search multiple files, ignore case use complex patterns. It's incredibly versatile.
Speaker 1: Okay, And if GRIP is for file content, what about finding files based on other things like size or date.
Speaker 2: For that you need find It's a bit more complex, but extremely powerful. You can search for files based on name, yes, but also size, modification, time, permissions, owner, almost any attribute you can think of. It's like a database query tool for your file system.
Speaker 1: Got it? All these tools manage the system as it is. Yeah, but what about installing new software, updating things, removing old stuff? Package management?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crucial and it used to be painful.
Speaker 1: Dependency hell, exactly.
Speaker 2: The sources mentioned early systems like RPM, you'd try to install something and it would say needs library X. So you'd find library X, try to install it and it would say needs library Y version two, but you have version one. It was a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Sounds awful.
Speaker 2: It was, but modern package managers like DNF, which is common now, have mostly solved this. They handle dependencies automatically. You say install package Z, and DNF figures out everything else Z needs, fetches it all and installs it in the right order. It does updates, removal, handles conflicts. It makes life so much easier.
Speaker 1: That's a huge improvement.
Speaker 2: Massive, And DNF is smart enough to keep multiple kernels installed.
Speaker 1: Ah. You mentioned that for recovery.
Speaker 2: Right, If a kernel update causes boot problems, the bootloader grub usually lets you select an older working kernel. It's a built in safety net provided by the package management system.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, and clearly, all these skills monitoring, file handling, package management, they aren't just for emergencies, not at all.
Speaker 2: This is the daily toolkit for anyone working seriously with Linux.
Speaker 1: Right, so we've seen the tools, the philosophy. Let's trace the actual journey of a Linux system. Yeah, from hitting the power button to being ready to use. Understand that whole boot process seems key.
Speaker 2: It really is. Knowing what happens when DUA can be crucial for troubleshooting. The sources break it down into three main phases.
Speaker 1: Okay, Phase one hardware boot.
Speaker 2: This is your computer's basic firmware, the BIOS or the newer UA FI doing its power on se heelf, test PST, checking memory, initializing basic.
Speaker 1: Hardware, standard stuff for any computer pretty much.
Speaker 2: Then comes Phase two, the Linux boot. This is where GRUP usually takes.
Speaker 1: Over the grain unified bootloader.
Speaker 2: That's the one gr Read's job is to find and load the Linux kernel itself into memory. It does this in stages. Stage one is tiny, usually in the master boot record of the disc MBR. Then it loads a slightly bigger stage one point five to understand filesystems. Then the main stage two, which presents the menu, loads the chosen kernel and an initial RAM disc image called insured or any trams.
Speaker 1: And that grub menu is where you can choose older kernels.
Speaker 2: Of needed exactly. That's a critical function of GRRP during the Linux boot phase.
Speaker 1: Okay, kernels loaded.
Speaker 2: Phase three Linux startup. Now the kernel is running, but it needs to start everything else. This is where the innit system comes in. Historically this was simpler, but now it's usually systems.
Speaker 1: System seems to be everywhere.
Speaker 2: Now it is. It's powerful but complex. System is responsible for starting all the background services, mounting file systems setting up networking basically preparing the entire host system for you to log in and use.
Speaker 1: And system decides if you get a graphical log in or just a text console. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It uses something called a default dot target.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One target might be graphical dot target, which brings up the whole desktop environment. Another might be multi user dot target, which just gives you text consoles.
Speaker 1: Okay, and one system has done its thing.
Speaker 2: If you're booting graphically, a display manager like GDM for Genome or SDDM for a KDE or light DM takes over, showing you the login screen.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If you're in text mode, you'll interact with aged, which manages logins on the virtual consoles. It's cyclical. It waits for a username, runs log in, and when you log out, it starts over waiting for the next user.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So now the system's up. You log in and you land in your shell, which needs its own.
Speaker 2: Configuration exactly, And there's a hierarchy here. System Wide settings that affect everyone are often in etceter profile or files in etceterprofile dot.
Speaker 1: D okay for all users.
Speaker 2: Then you have your personal configuration files in your home directory, like bash profile for login shells or bash arch for interactive, non log in shells, like when you open a terminal window.
Speaker 1: Bash arts are the one most people edit right often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for things like setting environment variables. Path is a huge one.
Speaker 1: What does path do again?
Speaker 2: It's a list of directories the shell searches when you type a command. If the command isn't in one of those directories, the shell says command not found. You use the export command to make varials like path available to programs you run.
Speaker 1: Got it. This seems like the perfect place for that lazy sis admin stuff to come in again, especially aliss Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, alisas are life savers. They're just shortcuts you define in your dot, bash arch or similar file. It's a classic example. Yeah, it's usually an alias for el Sera, which gives a detailed file listing saves typing ls air hundreds of times a day.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: You can alias almost anything. The sources mentioned one author who dislikes the default Vim colors, so they have an alias for Vim that automatically adds a command line option to set their preferred color scheme every time they launch. It. Smart very but there's a warning. Don't alias Linux commands to mimic commands from old systems you used to use. Why not seems convenient because, as the source says, you will never learn Linux that way. You need to embrace the Linux commands in way of thinking, not try to force it into an old mold.
Speaker 1: Good advice. Okay, moving beyond shell tweaks. Oh, file permissions you mentioned them earlier, but they seem absolutely fundamental.
Speaker 2: Critical security one oh one. On Linux, every file and directory has an owner, a group, and permissions set for three categories. The owner, members of the group, and everyone.
Speaker 1: Else other read, write, execute exactly.
Speaker 2: And commands like cha mode, change mode and shound change owner. Let you manage these permissions precisely, understanding this is non negotiable for assisadmin.
Speaker 1: And related to files are links, hard links and soft links.
Speaker 2: Yeah, slightly different. A hard link is basically just another name pointing to the exact same file data on the disc the same inode.
Speaker 1: Inode is like the file's unique ID.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, it's the underlying data structure. You can have multiple hard links, multiple names, all pointing to the same data. The data itself is only deleted when the last hard link pointing to it is removed.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, and slapslinks, soft links or symbolic links are different. They're more like shortcuts. They just point to another file name. If the original file is deleted, the soft link breaks it points to.
Speaker 1: Nothing, so they behave differently important for maintenance.
Speaker 2: Very important, especially when deleting things or moving files around.
Speaker 1: Okay. Finally, underpinning all of this file systems the way data is actually organized on.
Speaker 2: The disc right lynnis generally follows the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard or FHS. It defines where things should typically live Been for essential binaries, et cetera for configuration, Home for user directories, VAR for variable data.
Speaker 1: Like log standard layout.
Speaker 2: Yeah helps keep things organized across different Linux distributions. But how you partition your disc is also strategic partitioning, dividing your physical disc into logical sections, each potentially holding a file system. The sources strongly recommend having separate file systems for Home and VAR at a minimum. Why is that so important because things in VAR, like logs or TM temporary files can grow uncontrollably, sometimes if they fill up the entire disc Because they share a partition with the root file system, critical system processes can fail. Your system might not even boot ouch. Yeah, by giving Home and var their own separate partitions. If one fills up, it doesn't take down the whole system. It contains the problem. It's a crucial preventative measure.
Speaker 1: Make total sense, and the file system type itself matters. Who like EXT four? YEP?
Speaker 2: Ext four is very common, very mature. The sources highlight features like journaling.
Speaker 1: What's that do?
Speaker 2: It's like a logbook for discrites. Before making changes, it logs what it intends to do. If the system crashes mid right on reboot, it can check the journal and quickly bring the filesystem back to a consistent state, preventing data.
Speaker 1: Corruption, nice and fragmentation.
Speaker 2: EXT four is pretty good at minimizing fragmentation, where parts of a file gets scattered across the disk, slowing down access. It uses clever allocation strategies to try and keep files contiguous.
Speaker 1: So putting it all together, from boot to file systems, it's a complex but logical system it is.
Speaker 2: And mastering it, as the sources imply, is definitely an ongoing journey, not a destination.
Speaker 1: So let's wrap this up. What does this all really mean for you listening? We've gone from that core Linux philosophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the openness, the trust.
Speaker 1: Through the essential building blocks, the tools you need every day even follow the system booting up and getting personalized.
Speaker 2: And I think the key takeaways are pretty clear that open box idea gives you incredible power for control and for figuring things out when they go wrong. Right everything is a file concept brings the amazing consistency. The need for constant monitoring using tools like top or checking smart status is vital.
Speaker 1: Proactive not just reacting.
Speaker 2: Exactly and embracing that command line efficiency the lazy admin way is how you really get effective. But ultimately it's about understanding the why, not just memorizing the what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely and hopefully this deem dive has given you a foundation, a way into that understanding that honestly could save you hours and hours of just waiting through documentation. For sure, you've got insights now that help you mystify Linux and hopefully get you thinking more like assisadmin.
Speaker 2: So here's a final thought to chew on. If you have a system like Linux that's designed to encourage curiosity, designed to let you tinker, even designed to sort of relish its own failures as chances.
Speaker 1: To learn, that's an interesting phrase.
Speaker 2: It is isn't it. What does that imply about? How you could approach problems, not just tech problems, but maybe anything. Could intentionally breaking things carefully in a safe space, of course, actually be the fastest way to really truly master them, to find solutions you wouldn't otherwise see.
Speaker 1: Interesting question, food for thought, and a practical way to start exploring that well.
Speaker 2: The sources suggests setting up your own Linux virtual machine.
Speaker 1: A test lab, a sandbox.
Speaker 2: Exactly somewhere you can experiment, break things without consequence and really start applying these ideas and building that understanding from the ground up.
Speaker 1: Great suggestion, definitely something to try out.