Speaker 1: The National Broadcasting Company presents Radio City Playhouse Attraction thirty Ladies and Gentlemen. Here's the director of Radio City Playhouse, Harry W.
Speaker 2: Duncan.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bob Warree.
Speaker 4: Good evening everyone, and welcome to Radio City Playhouse.
Speaker 5: Our story tonight is.
Speaker 4: Different from anything we have ever done before. It is titled Luck and was written by Wilbur Daniel Steele, one of the greatest short story writers in America today. Originally mister Steele wanted to be a painter. We feel that the delicate shading of the master artist is evident in our play tonight and that it more than lives up to the play house tradition of the fine story. Expertly told with us for the first time this evening is mister John McGovern. We are very happy to welcome this extremely talented actor to his first appearance on our show. Mister McGovern, who plays the part of Jenison, is assisted by Bill Lifton, one of our favorite younger actors. Here then is Luck by Wilbur Daniel Steele, starring John McGovern and Bill Lifton, Attraction thirty on Radio City Playhouse.
Speaker 2: The scene is a scattered.
Speaker 1: Little community well up in the mountains. On a winter afternoon, along one of the remote mountain roads, a man is tudging through the customed snow.
Speaker 2: His name is.
Speaker 1: Jemison, people call him Jem. There's something on that trill about his appearance, something that makes people WinCE a little the first time they see him. He's not a young man, and yet he's not old. He's perhaps between thirty five and forty. The muscles of his neck seem permanently twisted so that his head sits on his body at a cruelly distorted angle. His face is blotched and purplish, her face deeply etched with lines of pain. He's wearing a tie, which is unusual, and.
Speaker 5: His bluefelt has been carefully brushed.
Speaker 1: He's taken great care with his appearance today because he's almost positive that if she gives him any encouragement at all, he'll propose to head a prole. When he turns in a Judge Pole's house, he squares his shoulders, and before he knocks at the door, he straightens his tie and removes his blue felt path.
Speaker 2: Why, jem, how are you, oh, hetty, Hetty? I wanted to say something to you, so will Yard is here?
Speaker 5: Jen we're going for sleigh ride.
Speaker 2: Will is here now. Don't look so disappointed, Jen.
Speaker 5: Hey, we'd better be getting started. There's much time for Oh hello, Jen?
Speaker 2: Hello? Well would you like to come with us?
Speaker 6: Jen?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I'd like to, but I don't think i'll see.
Speaker 5: You tonight anyway, Jen, you're coming to the poker game.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I am, so I'll see it.
Speaker 5: Peter Stoh yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, Well I'd better be going, Jen, Jen.
Speaker 5: Did you have anything you especially wanted to tell me?
Speaker 2: No, not especially. I just thought i'd drop by. Wasn't anything important?
Speaker 5: Goodbye, Jim, So long, Jen, see you later.
Speaker 6: Bye, goodbye, Hetty. I could be her husband. I could, of course.
Speaker 7: You could, Jen, of course you could.
Speaker 8: Listen to me. I'm the gutsy part inside of you.
Speaker 7: The part of you that nobody knows, the part of.
Speaker 8: You that's handsome and clever and witty. I'm the part of you that's young, strong, passionate.
Speaker 2: I love her. I'm not so old.
Speaker 7: You're older than will Ya.
Speaker 6: I'm just unlucky. I'm always unlucky. What did he have to be there for? Today?
Speaker 2: Why? Today?
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 2: Today? When I was going to ask her? I'm always unlucky.
Speaker 7: You love her very much.
Speaker 8: Don't you.
Speaker 2: But I'm so damned unlucky, Jen.
Speaker 8: Supposing your luck turned. Someday your luck will turn Jen? Maybe today, Jen, maybe even tonight. Maybe you'll win a poker tonight, Jen, tonight, Maybe tonight you'll be lucky, Jen.
Speaker 2: Lucky tonight.
Speaker 8: Just be sure Jen that when your luck turns, you're ready.
Speaker 2: How about one more hand? Boy?
Speaker 8: And that for me? Jen?
Speaker 2: You've had too much?
Speaker 4: Like to night?
Speaker 2: Really cleaned up tonight? Jen, I just seem to feel lucky. I'm broke.
Speaker 9: I've had enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I haven't You want to play one more hand?
Speaker 3: Jen?
Speaker 2: If you like? Will Well, I've had enough. I'm cleaned. I'm not quitting a loser.
Speaker 5: Supposing you and me play a hand, Jen, just the two of us, all right.
Speaker 2: You haven't the chance, will This is Jen's lucky night.
Speaker 5: No such thing as luck. Sooner or later the cards come out, even, how about it? Jen, let's go all right? I'll aye.
Speaker 2: Right your deal?
Speaker 3: Jen?
Speaker 5: Okay, come on, they're shuffling.
Speaker 2: Ifteal them off, I sure feel lucky tonight. You sure had all the cards.
Speaker 5: I'll open with twenty.
Speaker 2: I'll stay.
Speaker 3: Give me three.
Speaker 6: Okay, thanks, I'll take one.
Speaker 5: I'll bet fifty fifty. I'm not quitting a loser.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll see you and raise your fifty. I'll call.
Speaker 5: Four tens.
Speaker 2: Sorry, will pour queen?
Speaker 5: Four queen choose you?
Speaker 2: Jen was lucky. It's luck, that's all luck. Eh, lucky calls. I don't get excited, Will.
Speaker 5: I'm not excited. I just don't call it luck.
Speaker 2: I have another drink before you go. It'll keep you warm for the road.
Speaker 6: Nine hundred and forty dollars. I've won nine hundred and forty dollars. Boy, this is sun my lucky night.
Speaker 8: Last me.
Speaker 5: If that kingdom come, if that four queens was why nine?
Speaker 9: I don't take it easy, Will, don't you go getting.
Speaker 5: So there's no such thing as luck. See, I'd like to see any man that, Oh all right, here's your money, Jen, I'm going he will.
Speaker 2: Don't forget your green bags.
Speaker 5: You left him on the apricot caisses. I got him night.
Speaker 8: Boys.
Speaker 9: Gee, who looked for a minute like y'ard was gonna get nasty, I'm gonna I never can tell when he's had too much.
Speaker 2: You have such things like he says, good mother mine, He's like he's devil at ever drew brand. Nine hundred and forty. That's it. Nine hundred and forty dollars. Here's what I owe you, Jen Smiddy. It was right from me, Jen, Thanks Peters.
Speaker 9: If i's you, Jenna, i'd keep well behind Will on your way home. It's a narrow road for two, and the way you will looks. I don't think he really is having his heels trot on too much this morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all right when he's sober.
Speaker 6: I'm going tell another drink for the road. No going down by the pond. I got some fox traps out there, might take.
Speaker 2: A look at it. You better give Will a wide berth, else you throw you in.
Speaker 5: We have to have the pun dragon chelone.
Speaker 2: I gotta be going night, okay. I will from over night, fellas, I will, and keep away from the art on your way home.
Speaker 5: Don't you press your luck?
Speaker 2: You bar good night?
Speaker 8: You see Jen?
Speaker 7: You one, didn't you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Nine hundred and nine and forty dollars, Yes, nine didn't forty dollars enough.
Speaker 7: To marry Heady Proul.
Speaker 2: Yes, I Alaska. I'll ask her tomorrow.
Speaker 8: What about Will Yard, Jen?
Speaker 2: I Alaska?
Speaker 8: Anyway, there's a strange feeling in the air tonight, Gen, Yes, are you nervous?
Speaker 2: Jets cold?
Speaker 8: Is that why you're shivering?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's cold.
Speaker 7: Don't be nervous. No, I don't be afraid.
Speaker 8: You'll meet will Yard even though he knows you cheated him. Those four queens were a bit too much will Yard.
Speaker 2: No, No, he doesn't.
Speaker 8: Yes, he does.
Speaker 2: I didn't cheat him, Yes, you did. I didn't want to. I didn't want to.
Speaker 7: Will Yard's a big.
Speaker 8: Man, Gen, he's strong. He's stronger than you are.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 8: Why don't you stand awhile and wait? Let him get well ahead of you?
Speaker 2: Yes, well ahead of me.
Speaker 8: You wouldn't want to meet him on this road too, only, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes? You are afraid, Je, No, No, I'm not afraid.
Speaker 8: Listen what listen? Listen carefully? Footsteps, Jim, footsteps?
Speaker 2: Who is it?
Speaker 3: Who is it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Will stopped off of Pittner's down below. We had a cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: It's no matter, Jane. Why nothing's the matter? Will Nothing?
Speaker 5: Nervous about something?
Speaker 2: No? Sure, Yes, I'm sure. I thought you would be ahead of me.
Speaker 5: That's all I would have been if I hadn't stopped off to see Pittner want him some money. I was figuring to pay up today. Told him I'd been in a little poker game and that I was what will, that I had gone and lost the money.
Speaker 2: I still was lucky.
Speaker 5: You weren't lucky. I was a fool. Come on, Jen, let's not stand there looking at each other like a couple of strange dogs.
Speaker 2: Well you walk faster than I do.
Speaker 5: You go on ahead, I got plenty of times.
Speaker 2: Come on, okay, will.
Speaker 5: Come on into the middle of the road. Let's snow. Yeah, am I walking too fast? No?
Speaker 2: Well, so you think you were lucky tonight had nine hundred and forty dollars.
Speaker 5: There's no such thing as luck, Jen. A man gets what's coming to him in the long run.
Speaker 2: Oh not always.
Speaker 5: People tell you I'm lucky, that lucky devil yard.
Speaker 2: They say I'm not lucky. I'm just smart.
Speaker 6: Yes, but look at me, will look at my face, my neck, the way it is.
Speaker 2: Don't you say I'm unlucky.
Speaker 5: I hain't unluckiness, Jen. You're always doing fool things, getting drunk, making fool bargains with your money, and you're lazy, Jen.
Speaker 2: Lazy, I'm not lazy.
Speaker 5: You never get a head ever in God's whole world, and it ain't nothing to do with unlucky.
Speaker 2: I never wanted to get a head will not too well, not too lately.
Speaker 5: Bill Heady Pole came home from the seminary with her hair up.
Speaker 2: Yes, Will, Jan, Yes are you thinking?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, of pause, you're not?
Speaker 2: What Will thinking?
Speaker 5: What are you sweet on?
Speaker 2: Heavy pro?
Speaker 5: Well? I come on, man, are you lunch?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes Will?
Speaker 6: I I hate never said it out loud before, but oh I.
Speaker 2: Love that girl.
Speaker 6: I go by Judge Pros every day nearly. I go five miles out of my way just to pass her house. I always knocked on the door just to say hello. Mostly she asks me in.
Speaker 2: I just sit there looking at her.
Speaker 6: I see her smooth, soft white neckd Chan, Jen, are you crazy? I see how the brown hair lays light and warm against her cheek.
Speaker 2: I imagine how it would feel against my cheek.
Speaker 5: Good Lord Jan, don't be a fool.
Speaker 2: Just the same. I'd make her a good husband. Husband, husband, you mean you think she'd marry I would, Will. I would make her a good husband.
Speaker 6: Or maybe I wouldn't make her such a good living, but I'd know how to talk to her. I'd know when she was worried, I'd understand. I'm as much of a man as you are. Will.
Speaker 2: Underneath, there's a part of me that I ain't twisted her.
Speaker 6: We get along fine, just fine, Heady and me. As long as she don't look at me.
Speaker 8: She don't.
Speaker 2: That's a rotten thing to say that. It's just that when she looks at me she feel sorry for me, then she's extra kind. Uh? Is it my fault that I was born like this?
Speaker 5: Is it the fall of somebody? Your father, grandfather, somebody? Don't wag it a lot.
Speaker 2: No, it's easy for you to talk. Everything always comes easy to you.
Speaker 5: Finy luck I make and I use my yes?
Speaker 2: But are crazy Jan to think that you and Heady pro.
Speaker 3: Jen?
Speaker 5: I know our hairfields against my cheek? Night before last I asked her to marry me.
Speaker 2: She said, yes, true Will?
Speaker 5: What are you stopping for? Come on, we gotta get home.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 8: Will?
Speaker 5: We'll be married within a month over.
Speaker 2: My dead buddy.
Speaker 7: What I'll see that.
Speaker 5: You don't off?
Speaker 3: Jan?
Speaker 5: Quite it we're talking that way. You're such a base.
Speaker 2: I'll see that you don't. Yeah, what do you do about it? I don't know? Wait, near as big as you.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 2: Besides, you got a gun.
Speaker 5: Gun?
Speaker 2: What can I do? Here? Here's my gun?
Speaker 3: Take it?
Speaker 2: Go on, take it?
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: No, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 8: Guy?
Speaker 5: Go on, Jen cock it go on?
Speaker 2: That's right now, Aim it at me?
Speaker 8: Go on?
Speaker 3: Jen?
Speaker 5: Do you want to kill me? Why don't you? Why don't you shoot?
Speaker 2: I can't because you're lucky. You know I couldn't do it in cold blood. You know I couldn't. You can't do anything, not anything. I couldn't murder you in cold blood. You make me sick, snibbling around.
Speaker 5: You never carry a thing through. You ain't got the guts to do anything.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, wait here, here's your money? Yeah, yeah, take it.
Speaker 5: I thought you'd get around to that. Those four queens. I knew it all along. That was too raw, Jen, You saved three of them out of your full house two hands back, didn't?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, yes I did.
Speaker 5: I knew you wouldn't be able to keep the money. You can't carry anything through.
Speaker 2: Take it, take all of it. You're dumb, jin stupid and dumb.
Speaker 5: I don't want all the money.
Speaker 2: Just what's mine? Oh take it? Take it?
Speaker 5: Oh shut up, stop sniffling, good lord man, you're crying, take it, take it? Can't you shut up? It's there, I've taken what's mine. Here's the rest. Come on, Bill, Well, I'm going home. I'm not gonna stand here all night listen to you feeling sorry for you.
Speaker 6: So I got a couple of traps down there by the pond. I'd like to have a look at him before.
Speaker 2: Son, I'm sorry, Will, Okay, Jan, Will, what would you.
Speaker 6: Mind leaving me one of them grain bags you got there? If I had the luck to catch that blue fox, I wouldn't want the whole town knowing it.
Speaker 5: Sure, I'll bring it back, Okay, got my name on it anyway.
Speaker 8: And Will?
Speaker 2: Can I keep your gun? I just just leave habit in case that fox fox?
Speaker 5: Jan, you ain't scared of a fox?
Speaker 2: No but them blue one should be shot in the eyes, so as not the mother.
Speaker 5: Pell Okay, keep the gun?
Speaker 2: And Will yeh, i'd.
Speaker 6: Sure appreciate it if you'd not say anything about the cords about you cheating?
Speaker 2: You mean I didn't mean to Will honestly, all right, Jen, I won't say a word. Promise on the Bible.
Speaker 5: I won't let on.
Speaker 2: I've even seen you since I left Peter's store. So long, Jan, He's.
Speaker 8: Gone now, Jen, Now what I don't know?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I know Jen, I know him, I know how Jen, I know how you'll never marry Eddie prol Jen?
Speaker 2: No never never?
Speaker 8: Are you sure he won't marry Eddie prol.
Speaker 2: Jen O dead buddy, that's right, Gen, that's the idea.
Speaker 8: You had back there. You can do it. Gen. Do you really think you can kill yourself? Jen?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I can.
Speaker 7: You can if I help you.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, I can.
Speaker 8: Kill yourself yes. And make it look like murders, yes, make it look like Willyard killed you.
Speaker 2: Yes, make it look like he killed me.
Speaker 8: Think, Jen, I think we're alone. Now, you and I get everything else out of your mind. Yes, the money, Jen, What about the money? Money? We're alone, Jen, it's quiet. You can, Jem.
Speaker 2: He should have taken all of the money.
Speaker 8: You better get rid of the rest of it. Yes, take it out of your pocket? Yes?
Speaker 2: How where the manses?
Speaker 8: How burn? It is burned? All the builds in your hand? There they go. That's it out, turning your pockets inside out. That's the way.
Speaker 2: Ocht the hole in the ice.
Speaker 8: Oh Joe Short saught to see if the ice was taking up for cutting. We need some rocks, three or four big rocks. Jest.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's one gem.
Speaker 10: There, Yes, you get it, dig into my hands, bleeded. I don't care if it hurts, and wonder what's happened to me? They'll get him, A big strong man like that, pushing me through the ice, shooting me and pushing me through the ice for money, A big strong man and like that, killing me for money.
Speaker 8: The rock.
Speaker 2: I can heal the what all of them will say.
Speaker 6: I can hear the sheriff arresting him, arresting will Yard, God.
Speaker 8: I arrest you for poor Jen's murder. The dirtiest thing ever done in these parts? Isn't that a fierce thing?
Speaker 7: That Willyard?
Speaker 3: You'll and poll jenin hor horror?
Speaker 7: Will Yard, will.
Speaker 8: Well, don't just set their dreaming, Gen, get those rocks into Williard's grain sack.
Speaker 2: Will Yard guilty of murder? One more rock, Jees, he'll hang him, he'll hang him by the neck. Still, it's just twisted his mind. He never married a prowl, never, never, never put.
Speaker 8: The rocks into the grain sack. Gen.
Speaker 2: Yes, now what gen footprints sets?
Speaker 8: Right? Gen? There must be two sets of footprints down to the edge of the pond, and only one set going back.
Speaker 2: Yes, he came down with me, pushed me in, went back alone.
Speaker 8: Yes, Gen, mess up the snow.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 8: Gin, hurry, Gin, it's getting light. Hurry right, two sets down to the edge, one set going back. Now, tie the back, Gin, tie the open end of the grain side up.
Speaker 2: Hurry, hurry.
Speaker 8: What's that Chin, it's six o'clock. Gin, it's getting right. Hurry.
Speaker 7: Go into your belt.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 7: Now, loop your belt through the middle of the bag.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 6: No, Gen, Wait stones, I've got to push two stones to reach into the bag and hold.
Speaker 2: The bag in the middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now loop my belt through the bag, now, Chen, Now I look out onto the ice. Well, go on, jen, Uh, I don't think, Chin, I don't be so cold, so cold. I can't. I can't do it. You gotta can't do it. I'm afraid afraid to do it.
Speaker 8: You can do it, Chen, you can do it.
Speaker 7: Then use the gun.
Speaker 2: Gun, go out onto the ice.
Speaker 8: Use the gun, throw it into the bushes and fall through the hole.
Speaker 2: No, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 8: That will make get doubly sure.
Speaker 6: Jen, use his gon, use his god you'd never swager and laugh again.
Speaker 2: Then drag the pund and find me shot too, and the bullet will be from Wi Yard's gun. He won't marry Hitty prow. He won't. He won't.
Speaker 7: You won't go out onto the ice, Jem.
Speaker 8: That's it. Go on, Jen, not too far there.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can.
Speaker 8: Jen. You can point the gun at your chest, Jin, and when you pull the trigger, you throw the gun into those bushes and be.
Speaker 2: Able to you can throw it.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Jim, pull the trigger, Gen, it's getting light. Come on, heard.
Speaker 7: For a moment.
Speaker 8: But you're not afraid of pain. You've always had pain.
Speaker 2: You always had pain, Yes, you God always had pain. And to it, Jen, What if they they.
Speaker 6: Don't get him, What if he gets away? I'm always unlucky, just my luck that something might happen. But I've forgotten something.
Speaker 8: You think, Jen, think.
Speaker 7: You won his money?
Speaker 8: All that money. Eithers knows it, Haddle knows it's me, he knows it. They all saw you win his money.
Speaker 2: He was mad.
Speaker 8: He was mad.
Speaker 6: They knew he was mad. They even said that I'd better keep out of his way when I come home.
Speaker 8: Yes, Jen, he was mad, and he was drown. He had quite a bit to drink and he was mad. You got his gun and his grainsack, his name on it. They can see where you stop to talk up there, jenot.
Speaker 2: Prints, Yes, they can see that.
Speaker 8: And there are two sets of footprints down to the pond, Jen sits down, and only one set going back, going back up and God and his grain.
Speaker 2: It's full proof, Jen proof, Yes, yes it is. They all know he murdered me. They all know it.
Speaker 8: Off and Eddi Pro will know it.
Speaker 2: You'll never marry him. Never, never marry a murderer.
Speaker 8: Eddie Pro will never marry never marry him. She'll be sorry for you.
Speaker 7: She'll be sorry for you.
Speaker 2: You'll be sorry. She wasn't nicer to me, wasn't kinder to me.
Speaker 8: She'll be sorry she didn't marry you.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, she didn't marry me. She'll be sorry sorry.
Speaker 8: Then come on, Jen, do it. It's light now, Jen, people will be getting up soon.
Speaker 7: You've got to carry this through. Gen, You've got to.
Speaker 8: Get carry this through. It's perfect. It can go wrong when God's luck has turned at last.
Speaker 2: I will carry it through. Oh dear God, help me to carry this through. It's perfect. Help me to fix that devil yard. I'll be lucky this time, not him.
Speaker 7: I'll do it.
Speaker 8: I will do it.
Speaker 2: Oh me, oh.
Speaker 5: Oh whoa we are hello, judge bro how are you?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 3: I'll give you a lift.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jude, thanks a lot, good of me. Come on, mighty cold morning, yep, mighty cold.
Speaker 5: What are you doing up at this hour? Little poker game? Me and Smittye and Hard on Peter's and Jan up at Peter's start? Are you Ben?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Didn't expect to see anybody this early in the morning.
Speaker 9: I've been into the city. This came back in the five to fifty eighth. I have a good trip, and you have a good poker game. Jan want all my money? Good Jean sew him down by a palm back there fooling around with a sack or something and acting luck. He didn't want anybody to see him.
Speaker 2: He's hunting.
Speaker 5: Fox doesn't want people to know.
Speaker 2: Did he see you?
Speaker 3: And I didn't?
Speaker 2: Cold him bought he might want to ride back with me. He makes me kind of nervous.
Speaker 5: Ad Jen's all right, I guess.
Speaker 2: So well, Well, glad to see you.
Speaker 9: You'd have had a long walk if I hadn't been on the five fifty eighth Lucky I happened alone?
Speaker 2: Luck? Oh, I don't know. I don't think there's any such thing as luck.
Speaker 5: What's it must be? Jen?
Speaker 1: I guess he just caught himself a fox. You have just heard Luck by Wilbur Daniel Steele. The production was directed by Harry W. Duncan. John McGovern was Jennison. Bill Lipton was the narrator. Other members of the cast included Donald Curtis, Andre Wallace, Eugene Francis, and Ernest Graves. The music was composed and directed by doctor Roy Shield. Radio City Playhouse is supervised for the National Broadcasting Company by Richard P.
Speaker 5: McDonald. This is Harry Joncan again next week on Radio City Playhouse.
Speaker 4: The tense and very gripping story of a young man who becomes his own, fatally dangerous enemy Wardrobe Trunk next week.
Speaker 3: On Radio City Playhouse. Good Night, everybody, m.
Speaker 1: Hm, Bob war I'm speaking. This is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company.