Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Psychic Teachers. I'm your host, Deb.
Speaker 2: Bowen and I'm Samantha Fay.
Speaker 1: We're so excited that you have joined us this week. We thought this would be a perfect time to have a discussion about to row and the holidays. And I know that that might seem a little stretched to you, but bear with us. Sit back, make a cup of tea. Pretend you're sitting around a Victorian fire, and here we go. Ready, Savannah, I'm ready, Okay. So let's set the stage for this discussion about to row and the new year by traveling back to the Victorian era in England, maybe even a bit earlier. Imagine that you're in a parlor with three young women seated before a blazing fire while snow falls steadily in the dark sky outside. Divination of many sorts was all the rage during the Victorian era, particularly in winter. Perhaps it was the darkness, the darkest time of the year, that called forth the practice of telling ghost stories and engaging in divination during the winter solstice, Christmas, and New Year's holidays. Perhaps it was the weather, cold, rain and snow that forced families to huddle together before the fire, seeing shapes rise in the flames. Perhaps it was boredom all those people gathered inside for the holiday with nothing left to talk about. Perhaps it was hopefulness about good fortune coming in the new year. Perhaps it was all of these and one more factor that caused a rise in the practice of telling ghost stories and engaging in divination during the winter holidays. In the Victorian era, Charles Dickens published a Christmas Carol on December nineteenth, eighteen forty three, and with that the best seller of its day. A tradition of focusing on the occult during the winter holidays was the rage in affluent households in Britain. Not only were ghost stories told, but many ways of divining the future were practiced, particularly by young women seeking love and husbands. Now, I'm not sure that thereu was the leading detonation tool among the British wealthy in the Victorian era, but therow certainly was gaining popularity in more esoteric circles at that time. I can attest that tureau is certainly a divination tool used by many the world over. As the season shifts towards solstice and the calendar heralds a new year on January first, so let's take a deep dive into what Tureau may offer these three women. We're going to focus on three cards, which by the way, are really often more rightly called keys that might have been of interest to Victorian era folks gathered around the hearth on a cold winner's night, And let's take a deep dive into the symbolism of these cards. Samantha, you want to share with us what Carl Young had to say about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really looked a lot into the symbolism on the Turot cards, and a lot of people believe he derives some of his ideas for the universal archetypes from the taruro cards. He believed the symbols on the cards presented a rhythm of negative and positive, loss and gain, dark and light. It's beginning, he said. It's characterized by ones getting stuck in a blind alley or in some impossible situation, and its goal, broadly speaking, is illumination or higher consciousness. This symbolic process of illumination in the Touau, of course, begins with the fool. Weight describes the fool as the spirit in search of experience, who's in the impossible situation of being just about to plunge off a cliff or take a beautiful leap of faith, and it ends with the world, which Weight described as the perfection and the end of the cosmos, the secret within it, the rapture of the universe when it understands itself. Where do you fall in the trajectory of this journey at this stage of your life? I think that's always an interesting question to think about, you know how, dev when you Teachterurou, you always tell your students to lay out the major arcana and look at it as a journey through your life. You starting out as the fool, whether you young sees that as an impossible situation about to fall off a cliff, I always see the fool as full of wonder and hope and optimism, and of course it ends with the world card of fulfillment. I think it's a good thing to kind of ponder as we wrap up the year, where do you fall on that journey from the fool to the world.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and the folks who have been enrolled in the Fool's journey, of course the Fool's Calling course, have been taught that exactly what you're saying is that we are the fool. We are on that life's journey and we travel and forward and we learn and we grow, we have setbacks. I mean, it really is the mirror for one's life journey. If you look at the journey through the major arcana and the minor arkana suits our support information for what one needs to learn in a journey.
Speaker 2: So I have a question for you. I read when I was doing an overview of some notes for today's show that we and Pamela had a disagreement about where to please the fool card.
Speaker 1: Oh, there were lots of disagreements not only between Weight and Pamela, but between other theorists as well, about placements of several cards. The fool is certainly one. Another is the strength key where and then I'm getting totally off topic here, but for a minute, but the strength key is key eight, but there was some discussion that it should be switched with key eleven, which is the Justice key, And that controversy between those two keys went on and on and on for a long time before it was finally settled in the Weight Rider deck that Strength would be eight and Justice would be eleven, which makes sense because eleven is also two, and that's about balance and fairness and all those numerological components connected to that.
Speaker 2: And remember in that.
Speaker 1: Key, the justice key, Lady Justice is there with a sword in one hand, the sword of justice, and the scales of balance and justice in the other.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that debate always made sense to me. But the full debate between those two, I think it was about not so much placing the full at the beginning. I think it was more about the numerology. Should it be the zero card or the one card?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, well, that is indeed a controversy as well. Yeah, the zero transcends numerology, which I think was what won out in the end, obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree with that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Me too. Okay, so let's move on. Okay, So let's let's get back to our Victorian parlor. So, perhaps you and these young women are wondering about love or money, health careers. And since young women back in our Victorian wintry story practiced divination for questions regarding love and marriage, let's start with the burning question one of these women has, will I be loved and married you? The reader shuffle the deck and the lover's key appears. Let's discuss that key as we might view it intoday's world. At first glance, this key, and we're working here as we're talking, by the way out of the traditional weight rider Smith deck. So at first glance, the Lover's Key is very straightforward. There's a man and a woman standing naked before two very different trees and what we might take to be the garden of Eden. The man stands before a tree whose twelve leaves are flames, not leaves, but flames, representing the twelve signs of the zodiac. The woman stands before the tree of knowledge of good and evil. It spowls laden with fruit, and a serpent slithering down its trunk. Above them is Archangel, the angel of healing. You might consider that this key is both validation that a relationship is in the offing and a cautionary tale to be careful in the blissfulness of the garden. But wait, when studying to Row, there is always more, always a deeper meaning, and that's what makes to Row such an amazingly rich divination tool. The Lover's Key not only represents male and female energy, and we'll come back and talk a lot more about that in a minute, but it representents the notion of polar energies, often seen as a key of romantic relationships. This key also sometimes is said to depict humanity's fall from grace. However, the symbolic connection between the snake and the feminine is far older than its connection to Judaism and the Garden of Eden. The relationship betwe hearkens back to a time when the snake was sacred to the goddess in matriarchal goddess worshiping societies, many of which were there in that Mesopotamian area of the globe. So the snake represents a transmutation of being. Rather than representing evil, the snake represents our ability to shed what no longer serves us, and our ability to transform ourself and learn and grow and become new. Another aspect of this card is the notion of an internal balance of self of energies, a continuum of positive emotions towards oneself and the whole universe. So, rather than thinking in polarities of masculine feminine, I think in terms of a continuum. This is indicated by the willingness of the figures to be exposed physically, and by connection to the astrology and to the concept of the knowledge of good and evil.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Lover's card asks us to look at the union of not only two people, but also two aspects of ourselves, which is why this card is often about choices. The male aspect represents our intellect, reason, and conscious choices, while the female symbolizes our connection to our intuition and subconscious desires. The Lover's card reminds us of the power of love and that as long as we focus on love in all its forms and guises, we will ultimately make the right choice.
Speaker 1: And I think that's true. I think the Lover's card invites us to look at love in so many different ways, and it gives us a view of archetypes, those symbols that are often available to us, to see a glimpse of all of us. Call Young coin the term animus for masculine and anima feminine to describe sets of traits and symbols that he believe relates to all of us. Young says that each of us carry within us qualities of the other gender. Today, of course, I invite you to think of those qualities as a part of all of us on a continuum, rather than polar opposites. When we find the balance of male and female energy within ourselves, we find wholeness. According to some metaphysics, the female figure in the key, representing the unconscious mind, stands before the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and she has an awareness of both the five human senses and those metaphysical senses beyond. The male figure, representing the conscious mind, stands before the leafless tree bearing the twelve flames of the twelve signs of the zodiac, indicating an awareness of cosmic connections beyond our human comprehension. And the nakedness of the figures indicates there is nothing to hide, and that harmony in life depends on a balance of the unconscious and conscious mind. But let's not forget the angel o angel Raphael offers above the figures in the clouds. Rafael is the angel of Air whose benediction is poured down on us all. In the Gudeo Christian tradition, Rafael is the archangel of healing. Might it be that when we find a balance of energies in ourselves, that we honor our connection to the cosmos and it's spinning cycles, and give ourselves permission to transmute our very being into something new we are indeed healed. Note that the man is looking at the woman while she looks at the age, and the angel looks down on them both. This triangle reminds us that, no matter how much we think, we must also feel deeply in order to connect to the conscious mind, the cosmic posteousness. One more thing, though, it's important to look at as we're looking at this key, and that is that a mountain rises between the figures in the background, and it has several possible meanings. The most common is that the mountain represents fruitfulness. In my research, I've come to believe that the mountain represents obstacles that the couple has put aside for now but may need to face later. Who among us has not had cycles in relationships that we've needed to face. Let's look at the colors in the key too. That bright sun and electric blue sky indicates so much joy on the key, Raphael's red wings and the flaming leaves of his crown, The red fruit and the flaming leaves on the trees, and the red slash orange of the mountains indicate passion and action. Lots of red on this card, the green on Rafael's crown on the tree behind the woman, on the snake, and on the grass indicate growth and change, and the gray of Rafael's gown and the clouds beneath him indicate that there will always be the unknown that we may never know. The Lover's key is the sixth key in the major Arcana, a number associated with home relationships, healing, and harmony. What better number could the lovers key be than sick? You want to add to that, Samantha, I do.
Speaker 2: Can you hear the noise behind me?
Speaker 1: No? I can't?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank God? Okay, yeah. So the Lover's card asks us to focus on the choices we're making for ourselves. Do our choices reflect our true desires that arise from our intuition and subconscious or are we making choices rooted in other people's expectations of us or fear of being alone and hurt? The Lover's card reminds us that the transformative power of love will always lead us in the right direction if we first start with loving and healing ourselves.
Speaker 1: I thought it is so true. And again, one of the things that I think is so incredibly wonderful about to Row is that the layers of information and learning really never stop and it's so much fun. So while we've put a lot of information out there about this particular card to you, what we've suggested here is that you need to have all of this stored in your memory when you're doing a reading, and you can pull it all up in an instant. Now, I know that sounds daunting, but it's really not, because you certainly don't have to a reading share all of this information in details and symbology with the person for whom you're reading. Sometimes the queert wants to hear all of this and sometimes not. For example, our impatient young Victorian woman says, enough, just tell me if my beloved awaits me and you the wise interpreter of the keys responds, it appears so, But you must first also love yourself and the world around you. You attract what you radiate.
Speaker 2: That is so beautiful and so true, and I think it's important when giving a reading to give a little bit of the foundation of the card and the numerology and what the symbols mean before just jumping right to the message, or they're not going to hear how it relates to them.
Speaker 1: No, that's true, and particularly if you're doing a true reading with a Celtic cross spread. You need to look at thet each card on the table in front of you in relationship and context to the keys around it. So that's fun to figure all of that outsy putting a puzzle together.
Speaker 2: Well before we get to the next card on this Victorian Ladies reading table, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. I am so excited to let you guys know that Denise and I are going to be teaching our Mediumship classes in the new year. We're trying something different. Instead of doing four classes in a month, we're going to teach the classes in two longer sessions on Saturdays. This way we'll have time to do in class partner exercises with real time feedback. Also in January, I'm teaching my Manifesting class to help you kickstart your new year goals. And in February, I'm teaching my be your Own Psychic class. Just go to Smithafay dot com and click the Upcoming events tab for more information. Oh and I have a new Smokey Courtz bracelet on my website. Courts is great for absorbing residues of negativity and stagnation. Inside of us. It acts like a magic raser, helping to clean and clear your aura, and just in time for the holidays, you can also get signed copies of my books which come with fun stickers and bookmarks too. Check out Samantha Fay dot com and click the stores tab. How about you, dev What do you have coming up?
Speaker 1: Many of you have been waiting for me to offer my Unlocking the Mysteries of to Row course again, and it's coming soon. This is the course that teaches you the beginning skills of how to read Terrow. The course begins Tuesday, January seventh and runs for three consecutive tuesdays, and you can join either an afternoon or an evening section, both taught on zoom. Both sections are already filling and registration deadline is Friday, January third. Details are on my website net boen dot com. Also, if you want to know more about how numbers affect your life and what animal people are working with you, check out the Numerology and Animal guide reports I offer. And of course I'm always honored when you subscribe to my free newsletter. The subscribe button is at the bottom of my website homepage and again, all The information about these courses and more is on my website, deboen dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, okay, dev what's the next card you pulled for our reading?
Speaker 1: The Three of Pentacles? So now we're in the minor Arcanas and the Suit of Pentacles. And another question that burns on the lips of our Victorian friends seated around the heart is a question of money at stability? Will I be wealthy or at least comfortable? They ask? So you, the reader, close your eyes, ask for guidance, shuffle the deck, and randomly pull the Free of Pentacles. I love this card. It's one of my favorite cards in the deck. The Three of Pentacles depicts a monk and a nun watching a stonemation finish his masterful work on a medieval cathedral archway, which is topped by three pentacles. Much in this key is about numerology and needs to be considered in your answer, and will address numerology in a moment. And golly, could I go off on a tangent about watching the beautiful opening of Notre Dame. So let's talk about Pentacles as a suit first. It is the suit of groundedness, of stability, of security, and is sometimes called the suit of coins, so it is the suit of our relationship to money and finances. Keep in mind that the cost of building the great cathedrals was and of course still is tremendous. Just look at what has gone into the amount of money to reconstruct Notre Dame. But of course there's more to coins than meet the eye. So much of the building of the great cathedrals in the Middle Ages was based on sacred geometry. Oh, I cannot urge you enough to read Ken Filette's amazing book The Pillars of the Earth, my all time favorite. Is it?
Speaker 2: Really it really is. I've read it three or four times.
Speaker 1: I love that book, and I have watched several interviews with him on YouTube. And what a fascinating man he is.
Speaker 2: And he has a new book out.
Speaker 1: I know he does.
Speaker 2: I know. We gotta check it out, all right, I digress, Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So read Ken Filette's book, The Pillars of the Earth. Okay. The Three of Pentacles is one of Theo's hallmark keys about sacred geometry. Three is the number of balance and completion. So it is no accident that the key is about building a cathedral and its number is three. Notice the pentacles themselves of the word penta is from the Greek and it means five. The five points on the pentacles represent the four directions and four elements eastern, air, south and fire, west and water, north and earth, and the fifth point represents spirit or all that is. And an interesting note is that these pentacles with their five sides each adds up to the number fifteen, which when reduced is six, and we're back to six, the number of relationships and home and stability. So, Samantha, you have a perspective on what the three appentacles means in a reading. Tell us your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To me, this card always represents success coming from teamwork, collaboration, and a group working together. So I always see the three pentacles as a card of encouragement, gently prodding you to go after your dream. It often comes up if someone's like thinking about starting a side business, an entrepreneurship thing, or they're wondering if they can make money from their writing or their art or their music. I always see the man and the woman as benefactors, kind of encouraging the creative person in the reading to keep going on, to keep building three is also the number of reaching out to others. You know. Numerology, the number three is the card of communication, connection, and creativity. So often this card indicates a need to enlist help and getting your goal off to a good start. You might have to team up, collab network. The three pentacles also points to a need to start to carefully plan the steps needed to accomplish your goal. This card assures you that you've got the right idea and now it's time to start implementing steps needed to make this goal or dream become a reality. It can also signify that you've had an Aha moment or will have an inspirational idea and are finally ready to take action on it. So, for me, keywords for this card are apprentice, student, didn't mentor group efforts, all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: And while I don't disagree with you, I would also invite folks to think of three in terms of a trinity, a trilogy again within oneself, mother, maiden, chron father, son, holy ghost, mind, body, spirit. Those are other aspects of the number three that I think are important. And while I see your point here about being an apprentice, for perhaps working your way in connection with other people to a goal, I also see it as you already carry within you the qualities you need to achieve that goal, as long as you stay yourself within balance and connected to the sacredness of the work you're doing here on earth.
Speaker 2: No, I totally agree with that. I have a funny story to tell about the number three. In my rock your numbers. I always try to give a little background on what the numbers mean in your birth date, and Pythagoras always said that the number three was a number of creativity because he said, the number one marries the number two and together they create the number three. And so that's why it's, you know, representative of the Empress key card, for example, is the number three key card, because it's all about fruitfulness and fertility and creativity. And so I had put all of that in one woman's report and she Eve will be back, and she said everything in the report made sense except I'm too old to get married, so I don't know how the number three applies to me.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, no, no, the numbers are marrying each other and that that really confused her.
Speaker 1: So just more symbology, absolutely, And you know, and I know that the symbology seems daunting. But one of the things that that's my students enjoy but we really sometimes struggle with, is how do I take these symbols and turn them into real life? And my question, offways is exactly the opposite. Real life is full of symbols. It's all around us. And when we can start thinking in terms of symbols and really learning connection among different world beliefs and world cultures, which is I think truly the ultimate gift of to Row. It really does bring us together in so many ways. I think that then you begin to see the world in a different and deeper way. And I love that in terms of working with Touro, and I'll talk more about that as we wrap up, but let's finish up here with the free appentacles. So after we've done all this talking, our Victorian ladies want to know, are we going to get rich? Is their wealth in our future? Yes, says to Row, But you must work for it. Remember to develop that creative spark within you. Learn your trade, own your skill, and work your artistry and craft well and honorably, because remember this is such a key of artistry, the work that it takes to chisel those pentacles into that stone. That's amazing work. These are true artists and it's a beautiful thing to see, and we are all artists in our own way.
Speaker 2: I don't really I don't really want to hear that in a reading deb I don't want to hear you got to work for your money. I wanted to roll card that says today you're winning the lottery.
Speaker 1: When you find that card, would you also buy that deck for me?
Speaker 2: I know, maybe sometimes the Nina cubs because I always look at that one possible meeting of that card as wish is fulfilled. But I have to be honest. I think every card in the tureau has the same message of you've got girl, you've got work to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's okay, cause that's why, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, Well why sometimes I just want one card to say, sit back, we got this, you have to.
Speaker 1: Do nothing, Okay, you let me know when you get it. Okay, I will.
Speaker 2: We'll just have to create it then.
Speaker 1: And would it be an honest deck?
Speaker 2: No, No, that I know.
Speaker 1: There's that. So while we're on the subject of symbols, good golly, let's talk about some symbols. So the heart this fire is beginning to die down, and there's time for one more question. And the quietest of the young women ask, will my dream of being a writer as famous as mister Dickens come true? You shuffle the deck, say your prayer, always say your prayer, and pull the seven of cups from the deck. Who, boy, do you take a deep breath? Indeed, this is the key of dreams. And there are many in the deck, but this is a big one.
Speaker 2: And what.
Speaker 1: The suit of cups itself is the suit of emotions, of introspection, of finding balance between the conscious and the unconscious. Mind is the suit of the West, and the element of water. Seven is a mystical number, the number of the seeker, the mystic, the one who has to have a deep connection to spirit. So in the picture on the cart, a man stands before seven cups, each containing a lesson in life to be learned. In one cup there is a castle, in the next a cup overflowing with jewels, then a wreath of victory with a skull adorning the cup, and then the dragon of temptation, and then the fifth cup is the head of a woman. On the sixth cup is the serpent of jealousy, and in the middle a cup larger than the rest. The seventh cup contains the quarant's own angel hovered, but you can see glow from this covered angel. Shimmering with divine light is the way Eden Gray describes it in her book. This key reminds us that while symbols are deeply universal, they are also deeply personal. For example, as the reader, I wonder what these seven symbols, and even the cups themselves represent personally to this young quarant, I would ask her, and her answer would inform my interpretation to the answer to her question. It's really always okay to ask questions of the person you're reading for it's helpful to have that dialogue. So let's say that the queriant explains that she desires financial success and popularity from her published works. Certainly, the castle, jewels and wreath of victory indicate such success, but there are also cautions to be explored. For example, the fame she desires may come at a cost, of course, as indicated by the skull and the dragon of jealousy. The cup containing the angel is a reminder that she must not lose sight of the good her writing can be to the world, and that she does have aid always from the angelic realm. If she asks you got some thoughts on this card, Samantha two, I know you do.
Speaker 2: The seven of Pentacles has always confused me to be honest with you, because you've got so many choices. It's telling our queer end that she must face her inter fears and make a choice based on facts, not what she wants the facts to be. There's a risk of illusion here, of seeing what you want rather than what is. This card can indicate someone who tends to see either the worst in a situation or the best rather than the truth. The man is dressed in black, which symbol as someone who tends to focus on negative thought patterns and blame projection, or someone who focuses too much on helping and fixing others. He's waiting for someone to tell him which cup to take. But the message of this card is that you have to choose. You have to create the outcome you desire with your own actions. See again, deb we got to do the work that's right. Often this card appears when you're looking for something or someone so hard that you have a desire to make something else fit and become what you're truly seeking. This card can point to someone who's chasing something, a love, a job, a goal so much that they're trying to make anything fit. The Seven of Cups asks you to see the facts for what they really are, and to make the best choice for you based on those facts. There is a risk here of making the wrong choice based on what the heart wants rather than on what your soul is guiding you towards, or on making the wrong choice based on fear instead of following your true path. This is a card of seeing what you want, of believing in an illusion yours or someone else's, rather than the reality. The Seven of Cups ask you to clear away these illusions and trust yourself and allow your soul to lead the way. Trust yourself, and the right choice will make itself known. Sweep aside illusions, and face the truth of your situation. This card illustrates the saying the truth will set you free. It asks you to see through the facade of your own farantasies or the false promises someone is presenting to you to see what is really true, what is truly real. Once you do, you will see that the authentic truth is so much more powerful than any fantasy. We can create.
Speaker 1: This is so true, and I know that this is hard for people to hear because I often describe it as the scene from The Wizard of Oz, where where doctory just wants an answer written in the sky? Right? And what if she get two words? Surrender Dorothy? And when we surrender to the idea that we have a deeper connection to spirit, that the lessons that we're learning are meant for us to learn, then we can make choices in perfect trust. We really can.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: The three keys that we've explored on this dark, snowy night in Victorian England offer us a glimpse into how to row and other divination tools became so popular moving into the age of spiritualism. Over the years, we've seen a growth a deepening of the exploration of how these tools and their messages can aid us every day. We invite you to add the study and practice of to Row reading into your intentions for the new year, and of course I do believe you'd enjoy my course about this, which is coming on first part of the month January. We believe to Roe's symbols speak to us all in universal ways and to each of us our own personal connection to them.
Speaker 2: We need to take one last break. But I want you to kind of put together those three cards in a summaration for these ladies sitting by the fire, waiting so hopefully for insights, and then I want us to kind of dive deeper into some recurring symbols that we can notice and start to pay attention to in the turoad. We'll be right back, Okay, welcome back. So, dev if these ladies are sitting around and they're hopefully asking you if they're going to find love, if they're going to be a writer and be able to follow their dreams and make some money from it, what would you say? Those three cards are telling.
Speaker 1: Them guess And I would not be that smart althay about it, But yes, you do have the option of finding a deep and abiding love and being famous and having a great career as a writer and making money on it. You do, when are you going to start? What are you going to do? Make? Do one thing different, make a choice and follow it. And that's what to Row gives us often is the courage to do what we need to do, the courage to take risk, to do what is our calling in life, and to know that when we ask for guidance when we ask for assistance, as we've been talking about the angelic ground for example, that indeed there is help there, but we have to ask for it, and we have to live our lives in such a way that there's a consciousness to our relationship to spirit, and every day it's not just something that we do sitting around a fire on a particular snowy evening. That connection to spirit is a part of our world every day. I know our regular listeners, longtime listeners are getting ready to roll their eyes because they know where I'm going. Meditate. Meditate, meditate, find time to sit and be in silence a minute, or walk in silence or whatever, so that you have a stillness of the mind that allows you to hear knowledge and information from yourself and from your guides and your helpers. And when and when you begin to create a practice in your life where there is that connection every day, things shift. There really is a difference. And Toroku help be a wonderful guide.
Speaker 2: For that, oh for sure. And I think that understanding the symbols of Tourou is really important because it helps us find a deeper meaning and a divinatory significance that we can add to the reading. And what's interesting to contemplate is that symbols existed before language, so they've been around for so long, and they are able to convey something much greater in meeting with just one image. Carl Jung said, symbols act upon our subconscious and are collective conscious in ways that unlock powerful energies and creativity. He saw them as messengers to the psyche that connect us to the archetypes of the collective unconscious. And William Butler, Yet's the great poet and also a member of the Order of the Golden Dawn, called symbols the greatest of all powers. Wait himself said the symbols in the Toureau Deck were gates which opened realms of vision beyond occult dreams. In his book The Pictorial Key, he writes, the true tourou is symbolism on the highest plane. It offers a key to the mysteries. But the wrong symbolic stories have been told concerning it, and the wrong history has been given in every published work which so far has dealt with the subject. Well, that sounds a little ecocentric to me now that I'm reading that. Well, that would be Wait Okay, right, I'm not just pulling that out, okay, because that does sound like I'm the only one who has the right symbolic answers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. That's why do you believe?
Speaker 2: He says. The touro is not a derivative of any one school of literature or occultism. It is not of alchemy or Kabbalism, or astrology or ceremonial magic. It is a presentation of universal ideas by means of universal types. And it is the combination of these universal types that it presents the secret doctrine.
Speaker 1: And it's not so secret, not anymore. No, it's not. We all have access to it.
Speaker 2: We did it, yeah, which I love too. So I thought we could talk about some of the common symbols that occur. And these aren't obviously all of them, because that would be in an entire Touro course like the one you're teaching, but I thought we could at least touch on some of them. The rose appears on many cards, such as The Magician, the Fool, the Ninoswords, the Queen of Pentacles, the Strength, just to name a few. Roses symbolize love, resurrection, rebirth, and romance. Red roses. Typically the white rose, which we see on some cards represents innocence, a news start, and purity.
Speaker 1: Absolutely true. And one thing I would just add to that, Samantha is roses are not the only flowers that appear. Lilies appear, and my mind's gonna blit. Trees, various trees, or there are lots of plants. And the plant symbols in to row are very clear and very specific and serve a very purpose for appearing on the particular cards that they appear. For example, you see the cypress tree on the Empress key, and the cypress tree is sacred to the goddess Venus, which shield is on the ground next to the throne that the Empress is sitting on. So it goes on and on and on.
Speaker 2: So lots of plants, lots of plants. The horse. We see the horse on a lot of cards. It's on all the night car cards, It's on the death card, the Sun card, six of Wands, for example. The horses represent freedom, confidence messages, coming, competition, and endurance. Horses in ter ro symbolize being on a journey.
Speaker 1: And in addition to that, some years ago I had a wonderful student who was an equestrian teacher person, and she had done all sorts of research on the various stances that the horses have in the as pictured in the keys, and they're all different, just like you know. Some are with a pall up in the air, some are for I means, and I have that document. She's all gave me the permission to share it with my students so that there's a way to dive really deeply into the way the horses are standing in to row. Each of those is different and has a meaning.
Speaker 2: Oh that's important too, yes, so many layers right, Okay. Then we have the pomegranate, which you can see on cards like the Empress and the High Priestess, and these symbolize fertility, creativity, birth, rebirth, and enjoying life's sensual pleasures.
Speaker 1: So if you want to really dive deeply into the pomegranate, you need to read the Greek story of the goddess Demeter, who is the goddess of grain and fertility, and her daughter Persephone, and the story of persephones abduction into hell by the God's haighties and so forth. Pomegrants have a ton of symbology in mythology and of course, then interrupt.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't it true that the pomegranate was the apple? That there weren't apples in that area of the world, so it must have been a pomegranate that eve eight.
Speaker 1: That's one theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought so, right, Okay. The lion is another recurring symbol. You can find him on cards like the Strength card, the Wheel of Fortune, the Queen of Wands, the Two of Cops, the King of Wand's Lions symbol life, strength, power, leadership and the ability to take charge. And the lion can also symbolize the zodiac Leo sign.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and he also represents he The lines often depicted as mail represents the lion of Judah, so it goes into Hebraic symbolism there.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, okay. Angels appear on lots of cards, like the Lovers, the Wheel of Fortune, the Temperance, the Queen of Swords which is on the chair, and the King of Swords, which is on the crown. Angels symbolize help from above, receiving messages from the other side, and can represent protection, being guided and receiving a message.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and each of those angels throughout the deck have a different meaning. Depending on their jobs. As we just talked about Ariel Raphael. For example, it's the angel of healing, the archangel Michael on the temperance key. Some people think that's what's depicted. There is the Archangel of protection. It's fascinating, it really is.
Speaker 2: And then the Sphinx, which we see on the chariot and the wheel of Fortune, symbolizes protection, guardianship, and transformation, as the sphinx shows the transformation of the lion and the human.
Speaker 1: And we will never know the true answer to the sphinx question. No.
Speaker 2: And finally, we have the scepter, who appears on cards like the Magician, Empress, Emperor, Hire, Chariot, Hermit World, Queen of Pentacles, and on and on. Scepters in terro represent authority, leadership, and laws. It's important to look at who's holding the scepter on the card. For example, the scepter on the Empress card reminds us that ultimately Mother Nature is in charge and we must respect the cycles and rhythm of the world we live in. But you know, div when I was trying to dive into this, I feel like we could do a whole show just on the scepter. Because it depends. Like when the hermit holds the sceptor, it represents, you know, being in charge of your own self and going within and relying on yourself. When the magician holds the sceptor, it represents incorporating all the tools of the tureau into your magic bag of manifesting and able to really create your will into the world. So the sceptor is on a lot of cards, but it's meaning changes in terms of who's holding it and where it's pointing, and all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and for example, in swords, it depends on whether the sword is pointing right side, pointing upward or downward. That makes a big difference in the interpretation of the keys. One of the things that I hope that folks are getting from this very brief survey of various symbols is that this is a wonderful tool. When you start grouping things like this together, like finding all the roses or finding the sphinx, or this, that and the other, you begin to see layers of the cards their connection. And that's one of the ways that helps you to learn those symbols. Because it sounds daunting, I mean, I can imagine that some folks listening to this are thinking, good, golly, I would never learn all of those. Well, the answer is that you know you wouldn't. I've been at this for nearly fifty years, and I learned something new all the time. That is the one promise that I make students in a class with me is that before the class is over, I too will have learned something new. And I always do. And I love that it's a lifelong journey, and I love that it's fun and interesting and rabbit holes. You want to go down some rabbit holes, enjoy to Row, and enjoy it. That's the important thing here, is because when you approach learning and connecting with to Row and the meaning of the cards in the perspective of having fun and interest and just diving into the concept of connection, it becomes this whole, wonderful world world of study. And I clearly I love it deeply and would invite anybody to really take a deep dive into to Row and not just stop at the surface meaning of the keys. Thank you.
Speaker 2: A question for you. You know you were talking about really looking at all the symbols and all the different cards. What if you know how we get so many questions from listeners saying, I keep seeing the numbers one, seven, six, or every time I look at the clock it says two twenty two. Could you pull out the toro cards that have those numbers and see if there's a message for you in there. Do you think that would work?
Speaker 1: Well? It could. Although in to row, because of the way to row is structured, everything really can relate, can reduce to a single digit rather than looking at one one, one, one, for example, because we get one eleven all the time or eleven eleven all the time. Well that's four. So look at all the four cards and all the four yards in the major arcana and in the minor arconnoissants have to do with stability and groundedness the four corners, for example, of the throne of the Emperor, his number is four. So yes, you can do a lot of numerology, all right, weit.
Speaker 2: So I'm now I feel like I know the tua pretty well and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. So tell people who are thinking about taking your class and they're feeling overwhelmed what they can expect and how they won't be overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Well, I won't promise you we won't be overwhelmed, But at least we won't start there because here's how it Here's how it works. In my introcourse called Unlocking the Mysteries of Turou, we really do begin with looking at the structure of Teu. Well, for one thing, we look at the history, which is changing. Interestingly, there's some historical research that's being done right now. It's changing some of what we thought we knew about Turop. But in any case, we'll look at some history. How did Teu get to be where it is today? How did this quintessential gold standard weight wrider smith deck come into being? Who are these people and what are they trying to do? So we will lay out the cards in order. We'll start with the major arcana and we'll do exactly what you suggested earlier on in this episode. We will make our way through the symbols and the touro's journey through the major arcana, and then we'll look at the symbology of each of the minor arkana suits and then we after we've spent some time really diving deeply into those and for fun, it's a first layer of deeply I really often say to folks that I really should change the name of this course to Onion Peeling one oh one, because that's what we do. We're just peeling away layers of an onion. Well, before it's all over, you will have the tools you need to do a three card it's spread reading, and to do a tin card or Celtic cross spread reading. And that really does give you the foundation of beginning to understand how the cards work together in a layout and what you might need to be aware of and look for as you're doing readings, particularly for yourself for a long while. I recommend that first perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, we hope you guys have enjoyed this episode and we hope it's inspired you all to pull out your own deck of tourou or maybe even buy your own, because now we know that old myth of we can't buy your own deck is a myth, and you can buy your own deck and start exploring the cards and your own symbolism.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you can, and I would really recommend that if you really want to learn true real tourow, go to my website and take a look at the picture of the box of the deck that I recommend, and it needs to be that original deck, that real weight rider deck. There are others that call themselves that, but they're not. I really recommend that that deck and the book that I used to teach from is Eden Gray's book on Touro and the Complete Guide to the Torou is the name of it. It's old and tried and true. Eden Gray was considered one of the founders and hallmarks of tourou education for many years.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. We'll put that in the show notes as well. Thank you guys so much for listening. We'll be back with you next week with our annual Holiday story show. Hope you have a great week. Remember, as always, to be the light for yourself and others.
Speaker 1: Take care everyone.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Psychic Teachers, your podcast for seekers, light workers, mystics, and magical thinkers. If you like the show, please tell a friend or lee us a review wherever you listen to your podcast. For more information, check out our Facebook page Psychic Teachers, or our websites Samantha Fay dot com and Debbowen dot com. Thanks for listening and have a great week.