Speaker 1: Hey everyone, thanks for checking out the podcast version of The Sandy Show. Just a reminder that the JB and Sandy Hour every week. Here's how it works Monday and Tuesday seven until eight o'clock, Wednesdays eight until nine o'clock, and on Fridays seven until eight o'clock. If you enjoy the podcast and you like it, do me a favor. Would you send the link to a friend? All right, I would appreciate it. Have a great day. Here's today's podcast. The Sandy Show is proud partners with our bank. We invite you to open your account effortlessly online at www.
Speaker 2: Dot org dot bank member FDIC.
Speaker 1: With the cost of groceries being so high, this might get you interested and participating in something that Oscar Meyer is doing.
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty clever. Actually.
Speaker 1: What you have to do is record yourself a video of yourself singing their famous jingle which everybody remembers.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm saying, nightday, baloney, a second munic Ay, I loveday if you love me, wove bay that's maya have a waylesslogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is record yourself and then upload it on their website and put your information in and you could win fifty dollars off of your grocery belt.
Speaker 4: Really not bad.
Speaker 2: But I take two seconds to do right, I'm going to enter.
Speaker 4: Are you Why not? I mean yeah, I mean there's no downside. I guess yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be all dramatic with it when I say you, I think that you need to try and imitate that little boy.
Speaker 2: Oh no, everyone's gonna do that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do it like our daughter did when she was little, when she's sang happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh, she would sing happy birthday like this happy boot.
Speaker 4: It's along that.
Speaker 5: That's the same time in her life when she painted me a painting on a canvas and gave it to me for Mother's Day and it was all these beautiful colors and like the top right corner was this big square of black.
Speaker 4: Paints and I was like, baby, this is beautiful.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 5: And I pointed to the black paint and she goes, it's the darkness.
Speaker 4: All WHOA right?
Speaker 2: Do you still have the dons? I do have?
Speaker 4: Theness I do. I hope we keep that first, Oh, for sure we will.
Speaker 2: It's the darkness.
Speaker 1: Other jingles, other jingles from our childhood that we remember maybe how about this one two Holby Patty special sauce geese pickles on the seed.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, and that's all I got.
Speaker 1: I actually won a Big Mac by singing that on a radio station when I was probably Yeah, like the radio station was having a contact get free Big Max if you could call them sing it in less than ten seconds or something. And so I got through and I never went and picked up the price though why not? I know my mom and dad?
Speaker 4: What about? What about the band aid one? I am stuck?
Speaker 2: What about the she wears short short?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was that there?
Speaker 4: If you did wear shorts? Shorts?
Speaker 2: There for short shorts?
Speaker 4: I don't know what is another one? Like a good neighbor.
Speaker 1: See that's what I'm about to say. It's kind of sad for kids now because the only jingles are going to remember are insurance jingles.
Speaker 5: Landry as a small child saying Nation, why it is on your side? I was like, maybe she's watching too much television.
Speaker 2: She's true.
Speaker 1: So my name is Sandy. We've got more coming up, and don't forget. You can stream us online at one O three one Austin dot com. Love coming up in just the second real quick for so do you like over the holidays, do you tip anybody a little bit extra?
Speaker 2: Like I know where Amazon person's working their tail off?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and trash guys and yeah and all that kind of stuff you do do that I do?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you'll take care of that. Don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I do it every year, all right?
Speaker 2: Good, make sure you do that too, Amazon people.
Speaker 4: We have not the same person, right, yeah, So it's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know how they sort out who's going where in the day, right, but they do, and I gets here quick.
Speaker 2: His story is law.
Speaker 5: Billboard named Beyonce the greatest pop star of the twenty first century.
Speaker 4: Four years of the twenty first century.
Speaker 5: Yes, they said, you can watch her on stage for half a minute and instantly recognize that she's an all timer. They go on to say, her inherent combination of dazzling beauty, impeccable fashion, captivated stagey, captivating staging, other worldly physicality, and simultaneously earth and skyscraping vocals all speak for themselves. They love them some Beyonce. Now, I would have thought, just thinking about it, if somebody had asked me the question, my instant answer would have been Taylor Swift because it's all about Taylor Swift lately. They do address this and they say, even Taylor Swift hasn't been around for long enough to be able to match the expansiveness of Beyonce being around for twenty five years. Yeah, okay, I kind of get it. That makes me go okay, Yeah, I think they made the right choice. I mean, that's a big title, greatest pop Star of the twenty.
Speaker 1: First I mean, it's a fancy way of saying of the last twenty four years. I mean, it's only been twenty four years into this century.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, though, do you disagree to you not think that she like.
Speaker 2: I don't like everybody else.
Speaker 4: It deserves it.
Speaker 2: So here's my take on it.
Speaker 1: Beyonce's music not for me, No, it's not, but her stardom, her talent is undeniable, whether you like the music or not. Right, So, yeah, I would agree with it and the longevity. She's been doing it for a while. And I think when pop stars are any musician really, once they've made it big, it's easy to stay on top because they get the best songs, they get the best, especially in country music, the stars that make it.
Speaker 2: It's they get the best song.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Once they've made it, they've made it, they got to really do something to screw it up, right.
Speaker 1: Morgan Wallen case in point right, he's still doing right yeah, and he's fine. He's a huge star. So uh yeah, I'll go along with Rolling Stone on that one. Although board or billboard maybe I don't know. Ed Sheeran may have been in there.
Speaker 2: I'd oh.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, we're gonna have a moment with you.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding. So that's the story. We love Congratulations Beyonces sore. So we got to get through the boring park to get to the good part. Okay, okay, all right. So rover dot com released its list of most popular pet names, all right, and over the overall the top names boring Charlie for a dog and.
Speaker 2: Milo for a cat.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, they're fine.
Speaker 2: Luna for both kind of boring cat. Right.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting is the names that are picking up some steam and kind of trending. There's becoming trends of what people are naming their pets.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: For example, for cats, the name provolone is up five hundred percent. Sod Casserole is another one burrito, dumpling, and port like the.
Speaker 5: Wine wow, all food related items.
Speaker 1: Yes, puns are very popular. When naming the cats, mini mews.
Speaker 4: Min me ows okay, like mini mouse, mini meows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leonardo the cap meow very popular. Now for the dogs, the name Calzone yeah is up two hundred and eleven percent. That's pretty funny. Do you have your list of our dog names? I do, all right, get it ready. Other names that are trending for dogs right now, Poutine, pastrami, cauliflower, sardine, prosecco, Kelsey like the Brothers, Yeah, Plankton and from and sandy cheeks from SpongeBob.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 5: I like all of those names because I love pets and I love the food, So I'm totally on board with that. You know what, I don't have our dog list name because I feel like we finally like kind of we're like, we're out on naming dogs. I mean, we're out on getting a dog, right we are for a while.
Speaker 4: And I can't remember any of them. Some of them were so funny. Do you remember any from the list? No, dang, don't.
Speaker 2: I thought you had it in your phone.
Speaker 5: I know I had it on my computer, and I don't have it anymore, and I don't know why.
Speaker 2: That's very unlike you. I know, it would have been a whole lot better if you have it. It would have been a whole lot more entertaining if you have that list. I was kind of banking on that.
Speaker 4: Always have the list. I don't know where the list is. This is my bad. I'm gonna take the blame for this one.
Speaker 1: One of them we were gonna call colonel somebody.
Speaker 4: Titled colonel in front of him.
Speaker 5: And then my favorite meteorologist, we were going to name him Chief Meteorologist, Jim Spendser.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there were there was a list of them that we were that we kicked off because they would just be too embarrassing to yell if the dog got away, right.
Speaker 4: Can't remember any of them.
Speaker 1: No, Our dog names have been pretty clever over the years. We had the chocolate lab. His name was Bumper Mike. He got hit by a car but just before I got him, and that's why I named him Bumper. And then we had an Australian Shepherd of miniature Australian shepherd or. Her name was shiny Moon.
Speaker 4: Her name was shiny Moon.
Speaker 5: Our daughter Landry named her when she was three shiny. We got her when she was three, named her shiny Moon, and that.
Speaker 1: Was from Dinosaur Trainsynosa strange, shiny, tiny, and dawn.
Speaker 4: Right at tiny, shiny and done yep.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Anyway, I think there's some pretty clever names. I love cal Zone for adult.
Speaker 6: I do too.
Speaker 4: It just makes you think it's just fat and roly pally.
Speaker 1: And just lovable, yeah and fun. She's stretch of My name is Sandy. Thanks for being with us. Grab the Sandy Show podcast wherever you get your podcast. We've got more coming up on one O three point one Austin's eighties station. Asked Alexa to play one O three point one Austin's eighty station on iHeartRadio. Austin has made a list. Orsia says it's good for Austin, but bad for people that live here. It's coming up in just a second and the story we love. Be sure to grab the podcast version of the show. Just search The Sandy Show on the iHeartRadio app and then look for the ones labeled the JB and Sandy Show and the JB and Sandy Hour. Tomorrow. As a reminder for you, is again from eight until nine o'clock the Stories we Love.
Speaker 5: Wallet Hub ranked the most fun cities in America and this are These are the metrics that they used, and I think some of them are kind of random.
Speaker 4: Tell me what y'all think.
Speaker 5: It's how many bars, restaurants, and festivals that there are.
Speaker 4: They've in factored in. Yeah, they've infactored in how.
Speaker 5: Far you'd have to travel to get to your closest bowling alley or frozen yogurt shop. These are just a few of the sixty five different metrics that they used to make this list.
Speaker 4: I'm going to read you all ten. Uh.
Speaker 5: The first one I think is pretty obvious. Number ten on the list New York. Okay, Houston came in at number nine, Chicago number eight, San Francisco. Here we are, Austin number five. We split the list the top ten right in the middle, then New Orleans, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, and number one Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Oh, Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the interesting one. The thing there for me that jumped out immediately. And JB, I know you've spent quite a bit of time in Chicago. You know what Chicago has that Austin doesn't have much of? Is that neighborhood bar, the neighborhood show. Yeah, like every neighborhood in Chicago's got like someplace called Little Pall's or dinkers In or something like that.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. It's just a neighborhood saloon. Austin doesn't have.
Speaker 7: Like cheers, like show cheers. Yeah, you pop in there all the time, you're a regular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Which the thing I have to that and my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Is whip In. Uh huh.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you remember a whip In.
Speaker 4: Oh, I feel like I do. Yeah, that's been.
Speaker 6: There since nineteen eighty, right, I've that's that's kind of neighborhood. But you don't you don't see the regulars there. They don't know me when I go in, you know, kind of that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, the closest thing we have to a neighborhood bar join is shack Allen's.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, and that's great.
Speaker 1: It is pretty high there, but I mean that there's just none of the mom and pop neighborhood bar where everybody knows your name, but a lot of that.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting. They put bowling Alley and frozen.
Speaker 5: Yogurt bowling alleys, frozen yogurt shops, which I feel like they're all over the place in Austin, so I totally can see how they how they came up.
Speaker 7: We've lost some bowling alleys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're getting low on bowling alleys. In my opinion, we are low time to replaceh It's just the kind of thing that you know, we've lost a bunch because of development. I mean, it's a it's a big piece of real estate. Yeah, so it's just worth more to go up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's one of those nostalgic things that like you watch they go away, they go away, and then someone opens it and it's all a rage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what was popular. So we'll go ahead, Trisha, I'm sorry, you must say something I.
Speaker 4: Was going to say.
Speaker 5: They also ranked each city according to how much it costs to have fun there. So if you can't afford any of the top ten, go ahead and pick your flights to Toledo, Ohio, Montgomery, Alabama, Fayetteville, North Carolina, or Oklahoma City.
Speaker 4: That's where you're gonna have fun for the least amount of money.
Speaker 2: Fun on the cheap.
Speaker 6: Fun on the cheap, and they probably made up for all the other stuff purely in bowling alleys. We don't have festivals, we don't have a good restaurant seeing.
Speaker 7: We just got tons of bowling alleys.
Speaker 2: Well remember it was super trendy and they may still be around. I don't know.
Speaker 1: But there were places that were opening up with like two or three lanes. That was it just two or three rock and bowl? Wasn't that one? There was something on some time.
Speaker 5: I remember oursel there was just a few little lanes down underneath Schultz's downtown.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Zagarunda Hall.
Speaker 7: That's that's the German singing center.
Speaker 6: They used to have. They still have active choir thing. But yeah, maybe I should fill people in. So schultz Garten they I think it's the oldest pub in Austin.
Speaker 4: I think you're right.
Speaker 6: It might be Texas too, but oldest in Austin, and it's just south of like d k R.
Speaker 7: Right, and it's.
Speaker 6: Been a heritage place. Most people don't know. Behind it is an.
Speaker 7: Old German singing club.
Speaker 6: It's called Zagarunda Hall, and in there they have I don't know, a dozen bowling lanes.
Speaker 2: It's part of the club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought it was less than that. I thought it was smaller.
Speaker 5: The reason I know it is because every one of my Austin High School class reunions has been there. We have it there, yeah, but I thought it was like three or four lanes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's it's a cool place. Like they just don't know it's there. You could be standing in the courtyard behind Schultz Garden like at a tailgate, not knowing there's a big old bowling alley right there.
Speaker 4: Right there, right there.
Speaker 2: It's a singing club too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what it originally became.
Speaker 6: It's like an old German thing where they you know, people just get together.
Speaker 2: It's like choir. Oh okay, I gotcha.
Speaker 1: Zagarunda Hall is Yeah, I've been there, but there was We were there once for a someone. There was a company party or something there and I remember being there. That was the only time that I had ever seen it. But what an interesting spot for Austin High to pick their class reunion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We literally what I'm on my third high school reunion now. It's always there always.
Speaker 6: That may may date way back, like they've been doing them since the seventies or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it could be some tradition. It could be with the other classes too.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Hey, thanks for listening. Do us favor and share the link with a friend or to share it on social media as well. We'll do it again tomorrow. I have a great day.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: That was from yesterday's JB and Sandy Hour. Coming up in some days, which starts at eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: We're gonna come up with some nicknames for all the moody music venues. Stay with us. The JB and Sandy Hour starts next.
Speaker 6: You know, I meant.
Speaker 4: Come on the same way.
Speaker 6: I'm just.
Speaker 1: You just you just stop.
Speaker 6: It, just stop out long this starns.
Speaker 4: Mister, mister getting fire.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm moving round a place, catching her look.
Speaker 1: In the mirror.
Speaker 2: Want change my clothes, my hand, my face.
Speaker 4: Get no way.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: Gsts something had done to start with.
Speaker 5: Busy.
Speaker 2: I just know you can't start. You can't start, I foll.
Speaker 4: Said, I'm getting another.
Speaker 5: Listen, joke gets the wind had swung, I singing went on the shoulder, good baby laughs.
Speaker 2: Me standing on the streets and.
Speaker 6: Just time and there the carving.
Speaker 4: You got ball round in the city.
Speaker 6: You gotta stay home.
Speaker 5: Rack.
Speaker 4: Hey man, I'm just a stopping. I'm come some ship. I'm still listening right here, trying to right you and the action come on and begin it.
Speaker 2: Just smile, just start batter.
Speaker 5: To the ground, sad the road it.
Speaker 4: Comes to hide.
Speaker 6: I'm be down and were just come hassling in the dark and.
Speaker 2: Just start.
Speaker 6: Where that shock people had any poll and this comes behind you.
Speaker 4: Then were just stay housing.
Speaker 2: A H F I H two and K two seven six e L Austin.
Speaker 6: Listen on the free iHeartRadio app for all your music, radio and podcasts.
Speaker 7: Free never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: One O three one, Austin dot Com. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: It is the JB and Sandy Hour on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. Shout out to you guys streaming us on the high Heeart radio app. We appreciate the extra effort. My named Sandy.
Speaker 2: This is JB. Hello, and Tricia is here as well.