Speaker 1: As This is the seventy seven WABC Mini cast.
Speaker 2: It's the Larrycudlow Show. Free Market Prosperity starts here now Here's Larrycudlow our three.
Speaker 3: Welcome back everybody. By the way, if it works for you, if you need it, you can live stream this over the internet Larrycudlowshow dot Com, Larrycudlowshow dot com and let me pitch Fox Fabulous Fox Business Network FBN. The name of the show's Cuddlow four to five pm every day, Monday through Friday. And if you can't make it, just text your favorite nine year old and she'll show you had a DVR the show. No problems anyway. We're going to talk stocks and we've got some headlines. Your active ETF manager lost again and eighty seven percent of them have been losing for a decade. Passive versus active. Okay, it's a very interesting debate. We've got my pal David Bonson, head of the Bonson Group, founder, managing partner, the author of the Dividendcafe dot com, his new book Profit from the Profit, The Past, Present and Future of dividend growth Investing. Yes, Sir okay, and Jim Lecant Morgan Stanley, executive director and Senior Portfolio management Director. Well, some heavy duty stuff, all right, fellas, let me put this out. The spiders Spy delivered two hundred and fifty two percent over ten years with a charge of nine bases points GUARD charges just three basis points. Only twenty seven percent of actively managed US large cap equity funds beat their benchmark over the past twelve months, and over the decade through June. The decade of June, just thirteen percent of active managers beat their benchmark. All right, we've talked about it on the TV show briefly, we want to raise it again with you guys. Let me start with David Bohnson, David, active versus passive? What do you make of it?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Larry, you mentioned my book and the profit from the profit book coming out Tuesday deals with what I've devoted my adult life to, which is dividend growth investing. And I'll love this conversation about active versus passive because, on one hand, I really believe if the whole market is going higher, if beta is rallying, if all you're getting is multiple expansion and rowing earnings, and basically from two thousand and nine to twenty twenty six, seventeen years, the SMP compounds at fifteen percent and has lower than historical standard deviation, with a grand total of two negative years out of seventeen, only one of them at twenty twenty two, where the SMP was down eighteen point nine, being really substantial. If you are going to get a market like that, passive sounds like a very good deal.
Speaker 5: And yet somehow divid in.
Speaker 4: Growth actively managed has outperformed the market. How is that possible? Well, over the twenty five years I've been doing it, we got a really nice head start because guess what that SMP did in the ten years before that period, very zero percent because of the bookends of the dot com crash and the financial crisis. The SMP was up zero percent for ten years, where given in growth compound and did it seven percent per year.
Speaker 5: So it just depends.
Speaker 4: If you're in a screaming bowl market, passive is pretty hard to not do.
Speaker 5: Well, and the only way to outperform.
Speaker 4: Is to lever that thing going up higher. But I think that our argument is not about what the market will do or has done. It's in generating the cash flow. A lot of investors need.
Speaker 5: The SMP's yield.
Speaker 4: Right now is the lowest it's ever been in history, one percent, and yet with a multiple of twenty three times price return has been pretty good. So my long answer to your short question is that I think passive can do very well for bull markets, but we do.
Speaker 5: Not live in a bull market all the time.
Speaker 4: And our twenty five years shows us beating the SMP by four percent per year over that period, but we got a pretty nice head start.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, I love divid investing too. I agree with that, but Jen Lecamp, really if you go back one hundred years, you look at the Jeremy Siegel argument. I've always been a disciple of Jeremy Siegel. The stock market outperforms all other asset classes. Okay, and he goes you can go back two hundred years. Actually he's even done that work. But it beats everything else, beats bonds, beats gold, I don't know whatever else is out there, commodities too. So if you just own the spiders, you're going to do very well. I mean, David is right, you can, you know, look at different time horizons, but you know, people want to fifty. I always say, buy the index and hold it for fifty years. Okay, long long, but that's the horizon for individuals. And I think these numbers really show the expenses of active management is very difficult, the tax situation is very difficult. You're better off with the owning this index. So how do you come out. I'm going to guess you're an active manager, but I think the numbers are against you.
Speaker 6: Okay, this is an absolutely fantastic topic, and David, I'm going to agree with both of you. For most people, particularly if they're doing yourselfers, you're going to be better off in an index and maybe adding a sub index onto it, seventy five percent s and B twenty five percent queues, something like that. But there's a recency bias that always throws these numbers off. For instance, we had almost complete correlation in the markets starting with the late tail end of the green Span years and going all the way through the Bernanki years, where it was really just an asset allocation to sit FED was cutting rates. People would put money in the market just by the indicies and that absolutely made sense, and it almost wiped out a whole industry. It almost wiped out the hedge fund industry because those that were long and short that were trying to provide differentiation that we're trying to say this stock is better than that stock. They got killed because it was really just about whether you're in stocks or not. That started to change a couple of years ago when the market started becoming less correlated and we started to see real outperformance. And when I say recency bias, last year, technology killed, It's slayed. In the last few years. It has slayed the magnificent seven, et cetera. So differentiation mattered again, and the one year numbers were so much better than the index that it dragged up the three year numbers, and it dragged up the five for year numbers. And the active managers were pumping their tests and see see the active management is better. And the reality is David is right. The market goes in and out of these styles, but generally, for the most part, people would be most people would be better off in the indices because most people cannot get past human emotions, and human emotions will destroy returns. I will say this, though I've been doing this for forty one years. I've been dealing with clients for forty one years. The people that made the most money in the stock market were concentrated in a smaller amount of names, and they held onto their winners and they got rid of their losers.
Speaker 3: And interesting, David, your dividend play, though, how active are you?
Speaker 4: Well, when we see a name that we think has an opportunity cost to keep polding because the stock has gone up so much and the yield has dropped, and we think there's a better thing to.
Speaker 5: Buy, then we'll sell a name.
Speaker 4: But Larry, you're talking about out of a thirty five stock portfolio, which is high conviction. It's exactly what Jim just said about high concentration. To me, the activity comes when you make the decision that you can do better in something else, and it's one to two names a year. But I've devoted this effort to never having a diviting cut. And we went through financial crisis, who went through nine to eleven, went through COVID, We've gone through a lot of periods and never had a dibting cut. That can't be done passively. Every passive index has to deal with the general electrics and the at and ts and the intels and the three m's that shock you by cutting the dividend. Where I think active management can help avoid that, but I agree with you that it needs to be tax efficient. And I just want to point out how can somebody, it's great Larry to buy the SMP for fifty years and accumulate a massive compounded return. But most people are saving and investing for some objective. They need cash, a periodic stream of cash flow into something.
Speaker 5: Like a retirement, and so then they.
Speaker 4: Have to sell off some of the S and P and they're going to be paying the same taxes anyways. In terms of long term capital gains, the thanks to the wonderful supply side tax cut of bush W two thousand and three, gave us the same rate on dividends as it does capital gains, and you and I believe both of those rates should be lower, not higher. They're double taxes. They're taxing capital that's already been tax But I think that what given and growth does is take the focus off of what other people are doing and onto what the company is doing, which is generate profits, profits of the mother's milk.
Speaker 3: Yes they are. Okay, let's take a break. We're going to come back on and talk about bonds and interest rates as well as David Bonson Jim mcamp Cudlow will be right back, folks.
Speaker 2: This is the Larry Cudlow Show. Now back to the Larry Cudlow Show, and.
Speaker 3: We're talking stocks. David Bonson and the Boston Group his book new book, Profit from the Prophet, The Past Present Future of Dividend Growth Investing, and Jim mccamp Morgan Stanley Executive Director and Senior Portfolio Managing Director. Jim mcamp My love forty one years. I love that. So during the break I did some arithmetic. I went from the New York Fed to Payne Weffer, Jackson and Curtis, which doesn't exist anymore. That was in nineteen seventy six. Nineteen seventy six. Now you could say I've been out of the market for I've been out of Wall Street for a long time. But that's fifty that's fifty years. And you were on the CNBC show many times, weren't you with you?
Speaker 6: Yes, many times? Still. I was just on Friday as well. I was on yesterday, David Bunson.
Speaker 3: You weren't on my CNBC show, were you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I was on it a couple a couple of times at the very end, but you know the timing you, of course got the return to the White House, so.
Speaker 3: I know I have to take that out anyway, profits of the mother's milk of stocks, David, this is a very high profit environment, is it not.
Speaker 4: Well, it is so of course we also look at free cash flow and what's interesting is it's a high profit environment, and yet it is becoming a declining free cash flow environment because a lot of the profits are coming with a lot of cap X and that gets capitalized over time. Are simple in that censilary They're like a lemonade stand investment. You cash in, cash out. What's available to give to investors, what isn't. When you start talking about the complexity of amortization and capital expenditures, it gets more complicated. Now, look, these NVIDIAs and Google's are some of the most profitable companies in human history. But they even when they had huge cash flow, they weren't returning into shareholders much. They were reinvesting in the company. That worked out real well for them. But now the Googles and Metas and Amazons and even Microsoft's these don't have the cash flow they had. And that's where a lot of this AI stuff is becoming a very interesting story from a risk reward standpoint.
Speaker 3: Jim mcamp we were talking about the Magnificent seven and their performance. Edy Ardenni calls it the impressive what was it, the impressive four hundred and ninety three? So is there anything out there that really looks bad for stocks? Performance has been awfully good. Is there anything out there that threatens this bull market?
Speaker 6: Two things. First of all, I think the market has completely underestimated what's going on in the energy markets. The energy stocks are doing well, by the way, but they're counting on the US to be the marginal producer and the low hanging fruit has really been picked. If you look at where they're drilling right now, it's not as robust in terms of what they're getting. The recounts up, but the barrel count is not. And it's going to take two years in the Middle East to whenever they stop whenever that is, to rebuild and get production flowing the way it was. And there's a lot of militias still controlling areas in Venezuela, so that's something to watch. I think the market still looks fine, by the way, that's something to watch. But the other thing is interest rates. I mean, we've got this new operation Chubby Checker. Twist, Let's twist again, going But the reality is if we didn't have forty one trillion dollars of debt, then that wouldn't be as big of an issue. And it's not just the government that has debt. Now. All these AI CAPEX bonds that are being issued are coming at really widespreads, so that that could change that narrative as well. And if the spread stay high, that could affect everything from the housing market to private equity funding to commercial real estate. I'm still bullish, but these are the things that These are the dark clouds that may or may not metastasize into a storm, but they're out there.
Speaker 3: David Benson, our interest rates going up or down.
Speaker 4: Well, the main thing is that they've been that the yield curve itself has steepened, and so you saw the longer end go up more than the shorter end. I don't know what the Fed is going to do on the short end, and I have a lot of thoughts on the pros and cons the different things they could do, should do do. I'm a huge Kevin Warsh fan and supporter, but they have a tough job, Larry.
Speaker 6: But the long end.
Speaker 4: I think markets have to control. I don't think two billion or four billion of a twist here and a chubby chetter there. I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think that when we were talking about thirty two and a half.
Speaker 4: Trillion dollars of treasury debt, I'm not sure that that intervention is really all that great of an idea. But but well, you know, they're trying to get mortgage rates lower. I understand, but you know, I'm a market skuy I'd rather not market sort this stuff out.
Speaker 3: Well, you can that the President is on the horn to Scott Pssant constantly, get race down, get raced down. I don't know that Besson loves this operation twist repurchasing. It's kind of like off the run, on the run. I was talking to John Carney about that. So they're trying to retire the off the run stuff so they can get back to the on the run stuff. There's not gonna be any interest rate impact of that, I don't think anyway, Jim mccamp, it's not going to affect rates anyway.
Speaker 6: Well, at the end of the day, the US rates are still going to be mostly impacted by what's going on in the economy. And there can be a growth, a story out there to be made that part of the fact that the economy is still growing and doing well has an impact on interest rates. But I got to tell you, with the central banks, you're looking at gold, you're looking at bitcoin, you're looking at commodities. All of them are doing well because there are concerns about the dollar and what the FED is doing there.
Speaker 3: All right, gentlemen, we'll close it down. David Bunsen, thank you. Jim Mcamp, thank you very much. Folks, We'll take a quick break and do some money and politics with Steve Moore and Liz Peak. I'm cudlo. Please stick around.