Speaker 1: It's seven oh six here, pick five pair CD talk station, fine time. I was wishing every one of very very happy Fridays. We head into a three day Memorial Day weekend. I'm sure I hope everybody's going to be remembering those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in service of their country on Memorial Day and some of the events going on over the weekend, some of which we're going to learn about later in the program. In the meantime, it is always a pleasure to have guests in the studio, and it's always a pleasure to have Corey Bowman here. Corey, of course, won the primary. He is the Republican candidate for mayor of the City of Cincinnati. We all recognize an uphill challenge, but I think one the Coreys up to Corey. Good to see you again, Man.
Speaker 2: Great to see you, Brian. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Happy to do it before we get to you know, campaigns and politics and priorities.
Speaker 2: Three weeks to go, three weeks to go. My wife is due with our fourth child, so that is so awesome. I'm very excited for that. I am so happy for you. Did you find out ahead of time it's gonna be a boy or girl. It's gonna be a boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Boy.
Speaker 2: So we have two boys and a girl and they're all about two years apart, and then this one we found out was a boy, and I'm excited for that. I get to rough house with them, and then I have my princess toil to spoil.
Speaker 1: Continuous amen to that brother. Nothing like having a baby girl.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I was kind of worried about that because, you know, being a dad, and you know, I remember what it was like when I was a young man, and you always have these concerns. But man, it is just so awesome having a daughter. Just loved every single minute. Not the discount that I the love I have for my son, but it's just a huge difference between the two there really is. Why.
Speaker 2: I just see it that the sons are the extra protection that I need to ward off. Yeah, any boys in the future, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And without my son and my night daughter are the absolute best friends. Yeah. I just love that because my sister and I, yeah we get along now, we're friends now, but growing up it's like vinegar and oil and water. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that yeah, that was funny. So I have a sister that's sixteen months apart from me and growing up there was always like that back and forth of possible fighting. But then as we got older, we still like mess around with each other. But I think that we've been closer than ever as we started having kids of our own.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great, that's great. Yeah, we were three years apart, and I think that extra year is what really kind of made that. Yeah, she didn't want me around, Get out of my room, leave me alone. It was a lot of that anyway, Pivoting over, of course, you did win the primary. We're all very happy about that. Corey Bowman blwm A and Coreybowman dot com where you can donate and help out. And this is the point in time in the race where you really have to start buckling down on fundraising and putting signs in yards and shoring up support. Where are you in so in terms of the campaign, because you know, I know very little about campaign strategy. So you're getting at least getting some help from the Hamilton kint of Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting the right amount of people that are coming out and support and to give us the right advice. I actually just had a meeting yesterday with brad Winstrip Oh good, he was the last one to actually run from mayor as a Republican. A lot of great insight there. An amazing man, amazing public servant as well as Yeah, unity, So you know, I'm my goal is to listen to those that have you know, been in maybe similar waters, or people that actually know what they're doing, and to just say, hey, what's going to be the best way to move forward with this? And then also to learn about the position as well. What I found out is that a lot of people become expert campaigners, but they're not experts in the job that they're applying for.
Speaker 1: Listen, you know, I've been thinking about that a lot, you know, specifically with regard to you. What I started hearing about, like from Todd Zen's or Citizen Watchdog, about everything that goes on behind the scenes in the Bear's office. It's like it's there's a lot more there than I think people even fully appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd's been an excellent resource for us. He's been incredible help with us as well as just showing the back and forth of the legislature and the things that go on behind the scenes there.
Speaker 1: Good. I'm glad you got these resources and props to Todd and Brand and others that are giving you a hand on that. You know, others have made mistakes and you can learn from their mistakes and not go down that road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that. You know, one of the things that some current people in office will say is that, oh, he doesn't really know what he's done, he doesn't have the experience. Well, when I look behind the scenes and I see what the experienced people quote unquote have to say about it, I'm like, well, maybe it's good to not have experience to start out with and to actually learn from this and learn how to do it ethically and morally.
Speaker 1: Well how about that? Yeah, ethically and morally. You don't hear that from a politician very often. Well, then they'll say the words, but then they won't you know, walk the walk though. They will talk to talk, So well, we could we could use a healthy dose of that in since the city politics, your reaction on the I guess the Hyde Park signatures they've sound likely accumulated enough for the save high Parks where campaign We're gonna hear from Johnson's or who's behind that effort. At the end of the program at eight forty five, he'll be joining the show to talk about the signature efforts. But step in the right direction from your perspective.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely believe that because the people of Hyde Park, I mean congratulations to them for actually this is a massive feat.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I had two and a half weeks to get five hundred signatures, and we were trying to book it to try to get that on the ballot at two and a half months to get people to show up for an election that not many people knew about. But in just a short amount of time, this army in Hyde Park has basically gotten I believe that they're going to reach their goal of close to fifteen thousand signatures to get on the ballot.
Speaker 1: I believe there's ninety one or something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're smart. Yeah, yeah, they have the buffer. They still have to verify it, but it's looking like they're going in the right direction. Congratulations to them. We've tried to share their stuff as much as we can and get the word out for people to sign that signature, because what the people in Hyde Park say time and time again is that they're not against development, they're against how it went about overstepping the boundaries of the community involvement.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, again, props to Todzen's are for posting the graphics on that monstrosity that they're planning. When you look at a relative to the existing Hyde Park Square, it just it looks terrible. And you know, the residents of Hyde Park they like what they've got. Again, they're all in favor of some kind of development, but development's consistent with the square itself. It's a very unique space, and I think it's one of the reasons that people in Hyde Park are so proud of where they live.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what this is turning into, and I would say this initially as well, is that if anybody is questioning, why am I needing to vote on something with Hyde Park, I'm not in Hyde Park. I don't really care about that at all. This is a city wide issue because this is a statement to the city officials that council seven to two voted against an entire community's opposition against the development, and that was supported by the current mayor himself as well. So this is a statement that hey, if we elect you an office and you fail to listen to our voices, then we're going to vote you out of office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is completely a holy contrary to the concept of representative government.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, what I really is what I said in my statement because I was at the town hall. I was at the meeting where the council voted initially on the committee actually voted on initially, and I just stated that a vote casted for you to be in public office is not just a blank check for you to do whatever you want, right, It's a vote and trust that you're going to continuously listen to our voices as you are in office. And that is not what has happened with Mayor Aftab. That is not what has happened with all the council members that voted for this, and you're seeing the repercussions of that through this ballot initiative with the Hyde Parks where.
Speaker 1: Well, and obviously as a candidate running for mayor, you recognize the opportunity that you have to gather and gain some votes by supporting the residence of High Park in their effort. I mean, if I'm at Hyde Park, frankly, and I'll use the words, I would be really really pissed off, which I think as evidenced by the number of signatures they've gathered in a short period of time, I think it's pretty safe to say they probably are.
Speaker 2: Well, this is why I tell people is that whenever this issue first came on, you know, because this is my first introduction into politics, and this is, you know, something that we are stepping into because we care deeply for this city. And so I've had certain you know, advantage points or certain perspectives from being in the West End, and then I've looked at other communities and what's happened with them as well. One of the biggest things I've seen is development or improper use of development, and a lot of that has to do with kind of the hand of the city kind of directing everything toward wherever they wanted to. We see it in College Hill, we see it in Bond Hill. Yeah, So what I tell people is that they just happen to mess with the wrong people that actually have the funds and the resources and the grit to be able to fight this. And so I think that this is going to be a statement that the entire city can stand up against this and we can actually have a voice in this.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe we can get some ballot initiatives to get rid of connected Communities, which was the original insult to every neighborhood in the city of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Well that I mean, you know, not to get too deep into it, but that was the thing is that they overstepped their boundaries even with the Connected Communities initiative, and that's what is allowing them to put this on the ballot. Is that there's this book that you know, my mom had grown up that she read us. It says, if you give a mouse a cookie, they're going to want a glass of milk. And that's exactly what's happened, is that they already passed the Connected Communities under an emergency initiative so that nobody can question it. But then they actually overstep their boundaries even further and ask for a rezoning.
Speaker 1: A waiver of connected community zoning requirements to do.
Speaker 2: So they're wanting more, and so that's when the cone the community, the actual community, not the connected developer community, but the actual community. He stood up and said, no, if you're willing to go past what you already passed by policy, then you're just going to keep on doing this and you're going to ignore our opinion.
Speaker 1: Amen to that more with Corey Bowman again Coreybowman dot Com help him out seven sixteen fifty five KCD talk station and Peter Spia, Colorwiams seven Hills. The only real estate team I would ever contact if I want to buy or sell a home to the best. They are since Ady's number one real estate sales group. Their mission is to give you a five star experience, and everyone gets a five star experience working with Peter Spia, Collorwhims and seven Hills and his team. Instant offer. Don't want to show your home. Ask for an instant offer than forty eight hours of them seeing your home. You'll have an offer to buy your home. You don't have to stage it, or paint it, or sell it or change anything. You don't have to get out of the house with the dogs when they're being your house is being shown. I'd love that program. Love it or leave it. If they're you a buyer's agent, they find a house for you, you buy it, and you find out Nope, this is not what I expected. They'll sell it for you for free within the first year. Help you use cash to make a cash offer on the home you want to buy. It'll help improve your odds of buying the house and then, of course that wonderful patriot program as we as we salute the veterans who gave their ultimate sacrifice and Memorial Day approaching. This is a program developed by veterans to help patriots buy and sell their homes. The bottom line, ten percent of the commission is given back to you as a rebated closing. If you're a veteran member of the VA Police fire, ems, they got your back, said Peter Shabria Kelliwilliams seven Hills Online seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com. Call them up, of course, it's five Pine three, seven zero eight three thousand, fifty five KRC. Here's your Channel nine first forty one to forecasts, mostly cloudy, turning partly Claudie at some point. Sixty three for the high today, down to forty six overnight with partly cloudy skies again partly clouded to the Marrow with the high of sixty eight, few clouds overnight, forty nine for the low. Saturday and on Sunday, partly cloudy day again with a slight chance of rain. High sixty eight forty six degrees. Right now, it's time for a traffic.
Speaker 4: Update from the UCLP Tramphic Center from Pregnancy in menopause to healthy Aging the Women's Health Experience, and you see help offer personalized care with the newest treatments Learn more, and you see health dot Com Forward Smash Women.
Speaker 1: Highway traffic not all that bad.
Speaker 4: Couple of heavy spots, sun not helping North Bend seventy five between Buttermilk and Kyle's had a couple of extra minutes there and North Bend seventy five heavy again after you got passed, Mitchell, though, that's starting to improve. Approaching the lateral Chuck ingramon fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: See if you've got KRCD talk station, a very happy Friday tea three day weekend, Cory Bowman and studio and apparently Westside Jim Keeper was upset that he hasn't heard his name yet, So there you go. You just heard it. Beyond that, Corey I mentioned Hyde Park as an opportunity because of what the city council and the mayor did to them, and obviously that the petition to drive the signatures have been gathered. Obviously a groundswell of energy directed toward their displeasure with the city Council and its actions related to zoning. I get that. I pointed that and said that seems to be an opportunity for you because you are a refreshing alternative to this dictatorial nature that the city council currently has, as illustrated by the zoning change. But you mentioned being over a high park for a meeting and that you know, well, we like what you say, we like what you are standing for, but we hate your brother. JD. Vans happens to be your brother, half brother. I find that to be a preposterous thing. If you have been mistreated by the politicians you elected, if they have not followed your will, if they have not represented your interests as clearly articulated ahead of that vote. They knew damn well where the citizens of Hyde Park were on that zoning, yet they ignored them. Then why not go a different direction? I met state the obvious here. You're not JD. Vance. No.
Speaker 2: What I tell people is that when we got into this race, you know, the story that has gone, you know, around is that I was inspired by the inauguration and that I came back and then we pulled petitions to run for mayor. The ultimate reason why we are running is because we love this city and we have had a front row seat to the policies that have failed the communities in this city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you live in the West End and you've seen it happen in your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: We've seen in the West End, We've seen it in College Hill, We've seen it on the East Side, on the West Side, every aspect of the city. You're seeing failed policies. And so when I see that and I see that, hey, if nobody else will step into it, then I will because and I'm going to do everything I can over this year to convince people that I'm the right candidate, because I truly believe I am. But when we're running this campaign, we're not here to copy and paste national politics. We are here to run for this city. There are things that are going going on with our infrastructure, with our crime, with certain policies, with the developments like what we're talking about with Hyde Park, And I believe that people have a choice. They deserve a choice for somebody that's going to stand up for them, and that's what we're running on.
Speaker 1: Well, and how many years in a row, and we could probably go back decades, we keep hearing about these quote unquote underserved communities, neglected communities. We need a program d da da da da dah. And if you're out in one of these underserved communities, or you perceive your personal your neighborhood, your area of the city of Cincinnati as being underserved or overlooked or neglected, why would you continue to do the same thing over and over again. You know, it's like the definition of stupidity, doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. Go a different path. You know you're not going to be eternally damned by voting for a Republican who is interested in helping out your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what our run to November is about. I'm not entitled to anybody's vote, and then if somebody would cast a vote from me, I'm extremely grateful for that. First off, i want to say thank you to everybody that did vote for us in the primary, because that was them make a statement that they want us to run in this office. And I'm extremely grateful for that. But just being on the opposite side of it, or being the next person on the ballot doesn't necessarily guarantee you a vote So what I'm telling people is that from now until November, we are running as hard as we can to convince people that we are educated on these policies, we are educated on the legislative process of it, and we are going to be the best candidate to vote for in November.
Speaker 1: One more Corey bum will take a quick break care and allow me an opportunity to mention the great folks at Bud Herbert Motors. They're wonderful people. They're very proud of what they have in the business, which is the fifth generation family and an operated company that's selling the finest law equipment out there, from the really big stuff to the Honda push mower I got from them Howard push mower, Mom. But it's a wonderful, wonderful piece of equipment. And they just service that. They service everything they sell. They'll deliver to your Door's exactly what they did for me. And of course they know everything there is to know about the products they sell. Only the finest world class brands in lawn equipment, John dear X, Mark Steele, Haunt of Power Equipment to name a few. You can learn all about it online at Budheerbertmotors Dot com. When you call them, you will be dealing with a Herbert family member, and that's where that great customer service is assured. Budherbertmotors dot com. Tell them Brian said, Hi, when you call, it's five one three, five four one thirty two ninety one. That's five four one thirty two ninety one fifty five.
Speaker 5: KRC beds are US twent Dreamson damn Best.
Speaker 6: Right now, get fifteen hundred dollars off a shower it's have replacement, or three thousand dollars off a full batternymodel plus loans to no modey payments. Call five one three six seven six bath dischedule your free estimate, or go to bethsr us dot com. Five one three six seven six bath.
Speaker 5: Bets are US twent Dreamson damn Best.
Speaker 1: A Minute of Hope is brought to you why the Linder Center of Hope Linders Center of Hope dot org. This is Brian Thomas with doctor Alicia Clipson. Doctor Clipson's a psychologist at the Linder Center of Hope. For more information, go to Linders Center of Hope dot org or call five one three, five three six Hope. So how does this DBTC specifically support highly sensitive children and helping them manage their emotional issues on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: The environment can become invalidating because parents are frustrated and they might say more things like oh, just stop what you're doing, or why do you have to be this way? Because they're frustrated, And so we spent a lot of time working with parents to make the environment change ready. And so a lot of times parents will assume that they can bring their kiddos to therapy and that I can just put my magic dust on them. But sometimes parents are surprised to learn that this approach is really about helping the parents sustain the environment to be a place where kiddos are able to change.
Speaker 1: For more information, go to Lindner Center of Hope dot org or call five one three five three six Hope. Here's what's trending now, O stables Time for your Channel nine first one and one forecast. Today it's going to be sunning and then it'll turn partly cloudy. Today's high sixty three down to forty six at night with partly cloudy sky. Partly cloudy again to borrow and I have sixty eight a few clouds overnight Saturday with a little forty nine and comes Sunday partly cloudy skys with just a slight chance of rain, and I have sixty eight forty six degrees Right now, it is time for huck Ingram traffic update from.
Speaker 4: The ucup Tramsion Center from pregnancy and metopause to healthy Aging, the Women's Health ex Parents. So you see Health offer personalized care with the newest treatments. Learn mored you see health dot com. Forward slash women northbound seventy five continues to be the lone slow spot on the highways that's between Buttermilk and Kyle's. For a couple of extra a minute stopbound seventy five doing fine through Macklin. A report of an accident on seward Forebo sims chuck Ingram on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven point thirty on a Friday, and a happy one to you, Brian Thomas say with Corey Bowman in studio online Coreybowman dot com. Hoping to be the next mayor of the City of Cincinnati. We've got a chance for change, an opportunity to turn things around in the city, and opportunity for folks out in those neglected communities uh to maybe have a voice and maybe get some things changed in their neighborhoods. And I know one of the things that it has been an inherited thing. Current city council has inherited a problem that has been building over years and years, the state of infrastructure in the city of Cincinnati. I know they're touting they got one thousand things done. It was an article and I believe was the Quire today is in my stack of local stories. But I'm sorry, if you drive around the city, it just does not seem to be that way. Your your comments on that you have some some plans in terms of infrastructure and allocating the railroad money that's coming in now.
Speaker 2: Well, what you said at the beginning of the statement was that they say that we inherited a bad infrastructure. But who do you think you inherit it from?
Speaker 1: Ah comment, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly who's been in power for the last over fifty years. And these are policies that, like you said, have snowballed and that have just basically compounded where now you see the results of that in our roads, in our infrastructure. And honestly, a big thing on my heart is that we don't have the capacity to take on these events that Cincinnatians want to have, whether it be with sporting events or concerts or festivals or conferences, and we don't have the capacity to be able to take it on because we've just neglected our infrastructure for so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's it's a valid point. You got to have the me Well, and I can go back to that whole broken windows concept. You know, it's a well documented reality that if you if you just clean the place up, you create a perception of a welcome environment and that invites people to be interested in any given neighborhood within the city. And if your infrastructure is crumbling, or you've got problems with your sewage or you I mean, we could go on and on about the different areas that have been neglected, but you're not going to get that investment you're logging for.
Speaker 2: Well, we had to debate and the one of the questions they asked us, or one of the questions that were a hot topic when we first started the campaign as well as well, what do you think about, you know, putting whether it be a subway system in our empty tunnels under the street. And what I'm telling people is how in the world. Do you expect us to manage a subway underneath the roads when we can't even manage manage the roads that are above the surface. Yeah, we have to start with the foundation. Yes, we deserve as a city to dream about projects in the future that are going to benefit our city, that are going to grow our city and help our city. But the foundation that we're building on is not sustainable. We have to be able to be able to manage our roads properly, fill the potholes, just think common sense. That's what we have to do. And when you see the things like the speed bumps that are going along on all the roads in our city, these are band aids to really root issues of things that we're not addressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't get don't mention the speed humps because just Trekker is going to have an aneurysm and there the Coraine Avenue speed bumps have really got him down. But yeah, I suppose the speed bumps are a consequence of a broader societal problem where people just can't pay attention to the damn speed limit and go sail them through a twenty five mile an hour for zones. The zones are like fifty plus mile in an hour. Also lack of patrolling. They're not putting the priorities on the patrolling and they're not giving the officers the tools to be able to manage these streets properly well. And speaking of police, obviously, we have had a difficult time recruiting. We're short on numbers and a lot of additional overtime hours. My understanding is morale is down in the police department. Thoughts and comments on the status of law enforcement in the city.
Speaker 2: I would say that if you treat if you treat an officer, or if you treat the police department as a whole, as just the bad guy, or this is the last effort, or that this is the last option when we address issues in the city, They're always going to be seen as the bad guys. They're always going to be seen as that, and the morale is going to be low. We need to enforce better community involvement, and that starts from the top. That starts from the policies that we put in place, whether it be with non pursuit laws or things that are tying the hands of these officers. We're not allowing them to do their jobs. You know, in our coffee shop. We have a lot of officers that come in the area where one of the only businesses in the area, so they stop in to whether be go the restroom, whatever, And we have a lot of conversations. And what I hear from these Cincinnati Police Department officers is that they have such a heart for this city. They want to protect and serve, They want to be involved in the community. They want to be seen as the help for the city, not as just the bad guys. And I think that that is what is being portrayed from the top down well.
Speaker 1: And and I would just say the silence from council members and the mayor about the police department and support of the police department, their silence is deafening. They say nothing. Now, It's one thing go out and talk about defunding the police or saying that the police are inherently racist or evil as an institution and we need but it's another thing to go out and actually support them and say out loud communities, you need to work with police. We know you appreciate law enforcement in your neighborhood, and they're good people. They want to help you. That's why they signed up for the job. They love the neighborhood, they love the community, they love the city of Cincinnati. Who else would sign up for a job like that if you really didn't want to protect and serve. And serve is a really operative word in there. Yeah, So be positive, speak out loud in support of the police, and I think that would go a long way to maybe get more people within these various communities to work cooperatively with law enforcement for the betterment of their community.
Speaker 2: Well also from a policy standpoint too, I mean, one of the biggest things is going to be the call center a call center, and the way that it's run right now is that the emergency call center is that basically, whenever they get calls, it's up to them. It's run by the city, and it's up to them whether they want to dispatch, whether it be CPD or three one one or ARC. And I'm telling you that these policies and these measures that are happening in the call center right now, that's demoralizing to the police officers as well, because in a lot of situations where a police officer should actually be sent in because not only is it a chance to protect and serve, but it's a chance to be a part of the community. They're not sent in there. Only an ARC or three to one one is sent in there, and that reduces the morale of the officers as.
Speaker 1: Well well, and it also eats up resources that should be going to this insane police department. Absolutely, yeah, I get rid of both of those things are one. Anyhow, they came as a consequence of the whole defund the police environment too. Yes, that's where those came from. So basically political operatives going out there and responding to nine to one one calls, which I think is wrong. Callry Bowman dot com where you find Corey. Help him out, donate to his campaign, get a yard sign, help him out, maybe do some door knocking for Corey. As we get closer to November, Corey, we'll talk again, hope soon and in three weeks your little bundle of joy coming your way. I wish you and your wife all the best and the hell the happiest and healthiest baby you can get is on the way, of course.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian and everybody. Have a great Memorial weekend.
Speaker 1: Amen. Brother seven thirty seven. If you have cares to the talk station, your home deserves the best care and you know who knows that Chimneycare, fireplace and stove and around since nineteen eighty eight, taking care of all types of things related to chimneys and fireplaces, free standing stoves, wood waste pellet stoves. They got it all show Room four thirteen wards Corner Robe. But right now, take advantage of the spring events going on. First, the Spring Special a free like how he emphasize that word exterior evaluation. What they're looking for is problems that might lead to water damage or maybe stop the water damage that's going on right now. Do you know what's going on up there? So book your appointment. They'll come out for free and check it all out, make sure you're in good shit and if not. They have the true the skills to handle anything related to chimneys and fireplaces. And there is also the Spring Special Wood burning Sweep and Evaluation for just one sixty nine ninety nine one hundred and sixty nine dollars ninety nine cents. They'll do a thorough evaluation video camera as well as a certified chimney sweep of your chimney so you're safe. That's an operative point there as well. Be safe, get your chimney checked out two four eight ninety six hundred five one three two four eight ninety six hundred eight plus with a better Business fureer. You can check them out online, learn more about what they do as well as what the showroom has in stock, and get the appointment online.
Speaker 6: Chimneycareco dot Com fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: This is Jeff for Tri State Men's Health, where we've success