Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI, A M six forty, Nature.
Speaker 2: Talks, PONTIFICATESOU pop Culture, Ronner Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: It's Later with Mo Kelly on k IF. I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeart App. I'm Mark Ronner. This is the Runner Report. This part of the show isn't the best of it's live. I'm mostly alive. Foosh is here with me because thank you for that. Because Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning is out for the big holiday weekend and you need to know the score.
Speaker 4: Here's a little bit of the trailer. Lives I'm not defined by any one action. Our lives of the sum of our.
Speaker 2: Choices, everything you are, everything you've done.
Speaker 4: Let's come to this when the need for certainty.
Speaker 2: Is absolute and the odds are deemed impossible, the mission falls to him.
Speaker 3: Yes it does. That's all We're going to play that because there's a lot of running. It's a largely visual trailer in radio not so much a visual medium. Now listen. You almost can't review Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning like a normal movie. It's too much of a huge event, with too much of a huge Star that maybe only years down the line are we're going to be able to take a real critical look at it and see how much it holds up. But let's just come clean here. There's movies that we were into in the moment, but we're kind of embarrassed of now.
Speaker 4: Foosh, I'll admit this.
Speaker 3: I think I have a positive review of at least one of the Star Wars prequels. I'm a little embarrassed of now, maybe all of them. In fact, we were just so happy to have new Star Wars and we were in an audience and there was air conditioning, and I don't want to talk about it anymore. Or that Ben Affleck Daredevil movie. I said, I don't want to talk about it anyway. Right now, I'll say you'd have to be kind of an a hole to look down your nose at Mission Impossible, the Final Reckoning. It's a huge amount of fun. It's far from perfect, but the fun parts are such massive cinema crazy spectacle that you're just gonna see it. Okay, you have to, but you'd be forgiven if you didn't like the first few in the series. And we can argue about this if there's time. Greg Morris if you remember him from the original Mission Impossible TV show. He walked out of the first one of the movies and called it an abomination. He was right, especially if you loved that TV show making mister phelps the bad guy go straight to hell with that. The TV show ran for seven seasons and it was based on a French caper movie called Top Copy Topkapi. It's really good. It was tense without much dialogue, and the Mission Impossible TV series had a lot of this aesthetic as Star Trek, and they were both made by Desi lou That's right, Lucy gave us both Mission Impossible and Star Trek. The second movie was much good either. The third one that kind of sucked to They started getting good around maybe the fifth one. You just had to accept that it wasn't going to be like the show and it was going to be more a series of extreme stunts strung together with some exposition. So by the time of the one where Tom Cruise is swinging around the skyscraper and the Middle East and hanging on to the side of a plane, they'd gotten a lot better. They also show Cruse has no fear of heights, and this new one really confirms that.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: By the way, another reason the early Mission Impossible movie sucked is a reason they should have been great, and credit to Cruz for at least taking a stab at this. They wanted each Mission Impossible movie to be from a different distinctive director in his style, So we got one from De Palma, from John wu from jj Abrams, which would make a good one of those One of these things is not like the other in Sesame Street, you remember that. Then Chris from a Quarry took over and he's been the director since Rogue Nation. In twenty fifteen. He worked with Cruz on The Reacher movie, which we all sort of disavow now because of the Alan Richson series. And he also did a good little crime movie called The Way of the Gun. Put that on your list if you haven't seen it. Mission Impossible the Final Reckoning. The first part was Dead Reckoning that came out two years ago. I'll tell you how much you really need to know before you see this new one.
Speaker 4: Nothing.
Speaker 3: If you go through them all from the first one like Mo did, then that's fine. You're in a masochism. Doesn't hurt anybody else. Go to town. But there are plenty of references to the early movies in this one, and some good and not so good attempts to tie them all together, which reminded me of the clumsy way they tried to do that in the awful Last Couple Daniel Craig James Bond movies Now Dead. Reckoning involved a world threatening artificial intelligence called the Entity, and in part two they're trying to stop the Entity from destroying the world and really playing up Ethan Hunt as the savior, which you kind of heard a little bit of in the trailer that sets off my cheese zoemeter. But like I said, the movie's not perfect. In fact, the first act is so talky and portentous and irritating that I was surprised it survived in the finished movie. Some tedious, clumsy stuff. That's when you go to the bathroom. We got to the theater for a twelve to fifty five am show and we were there until well after four am. Good lord, that's because we're dedicated. Final Reckoning features a minor character from the very first movie, and I won't spoil that, but what a cool jackpot to bring this guy back and give him a major role. I hope it gives him a career boost. There is a callback to that mister Phelps is the bad guy thing, which again I hated, and the callback's unnecessary. But by that time in the movie that reveal you just need a cigarette and you're not going to care. What else do you want to tell me? It was actually missus Phelps all along? Go ahead, Now, there are a couple of major sequences that even if you hate everything else, these are going to make you feel like you're at a Capital M movie.
Speaker 4: You've seen some.
Speaker 3: Highlights and trailers of crews on a plane and other things, and those have been playing for a long time, but I promise you haven't seen anything close to all of it. I was cackling a couple times. I almost grabbed Twala's arm. I think I clapped like a carnival seal a couple times too. Oh, it's so much fun. The villain is played by Issai Morales, and it's pretty unmemorable as a villain, but he does look like he's having a good time. In his defense, they don't really give him much to do in this movie except to be a delivery device for some of the action. They go big in Final Reckoning, they got to save the world. I don't know how final this one really is for the series. If there are anymore, I wouldn't mind him going a little smaller like the old TV show Go to some completely made up little South American dictatorship where it's all white American actors in whatever kind of makeup American presidents use these days in a constant sheen of sweat. Those are on Paramount Plus now you can watch them top copy the movie that they were inspired by that's on Amazon Prime. They aren't full of extreme stunts at all, but they are great fun. They're tense, and they're good to watch if you want more. When you finally stagger out of the Final Reckoning and use the bathroom after about three hours, okay, now foosh, unless you have something to add. This is where MO would usually throw back to me for a news break.
Speaker 5: I was just going to ask, so, okay, you don't have to watch a lot of or you don't have to watch the other ones, but what about watching the what is it Dead Reckoning?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think at the beginning they were going to call this one Dead Reckoning Part two, but they changed it to Final Reckoning, so we don't know if it's the end of.
Speaker 4: The series or what, you can watch it.
Speaker 3: But if you don't watch it, it's not going to affect at all how you understand the plot or appreciate all all the set pieces. If you're a completist whatever I mean, I don't know what your tastes in movies are because you and I argue off the air about you know, once upon a Time in Hollywood and whatever else, and to the point where we doubt each other's sanity. But any spy action movie, I'm going to watch it. So it's the final question is was there post credit scene?
Speaker 4: There is not a post credit scene. It's not a Marvel movie.
Speaker 3: And then Twala and I actually made sure to stay even though we're like holding up our phones to each other. It's after four am. We stayed just to make sure that's nothing.
Speaker 5: There's nothing there.
Speaker 3: All right now, Foosh, this is now your mission. Should you choose to accept it, go ahead and throw to me for a news break.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go right back to Mark Rondo the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.
Speaker 4: Well done.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty