Speaker 1: I don't think I have enough Hans.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah, more pizza, I guess is that or I should have more Jake's French fries last night?
Speaker 3: Oh maybe that's why I was hung over. To Sorry, I'm looking at the wide and it makes me look like I have a halo, you know those like pain.
Speaker 1: You look like. I don't want to like drama from Discolisium. His car like is like one of those one of those Jesus candles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a great joke since no one's going to see the video for this, but I think it's I think it's kind of rad.
Speaker 1: We'll save that for another episode.
Speaker 2: Anyway, everybody, Welcome to Games About after Dark episode. I'm just gonna take a guest because I didn't look it up this morning.
Speaker 1: To sixty, that's it, you nailed it? Is it? I have no fucking idea.
Speaker 2: You only you, dear viewer, know the true answer. So what episode this podcast is on this week?
Speaker 1: On Unsolved Mysteries? Uh?
Speaker 2: That is Curtain of Vina Hi give me uh uh it's Unsolved Mysteries, the one with Jonathan Fakes.
Speaker 1: No that you're thinking beyond belief?
Speaker 2: Okay, the one Unsolved It's friction. Yeah, no, so uh true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Beyond Belief is the great one where he's like, have you ever tied your shoe in a busy subway station? And while man while a man farted next to.
Speaker 2: You, occasionally put like that compilation on of just all of him, asking all those questions, and it's so funny.
Speaker 1: Have you ever put a hot plate? Have you ever sat on a hot plate and whistled, twinkled tiggle, little star? Well, this is what Sarah did in tonight's Beyond Belief. No, so that's what Jonathan frakes and then Unsolved Mysteries is with Robert Stack the man.
Speaker 2: Who Oh is that the one where they do re enactments?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah. Beyond Beliefs whole thing is they tell you three stories and you have to guess whether they were fast fiction. That's like have you ever left an ice cube out in the sun on a warms on a warm summer day. And then it turns out the stories about like a man who was like stabbed at death when I with an icicle And then you have to and there's no evidence of his death, you have to. This is not from Beyond Belief. This is from an autopsy book that I read. This is a true story about a man who was killed. They couldn't find the murder weapon, but it's because of Icol killed him and Melton anyway, perfect murder weapon. Yeah, that perfect crime. So yeah, that's that's beyond. That's Jonathan fakes. What about Jonathan Ferguson. Jonathan Ferguson, Yeah, that's the guy who shows you guns and asks if they're actually you show him guns and then ask is this factor fiction? And then Jonathan like, have you ever walked out the side of seven and then it melted because they made of ice? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh, actually not to kind of derail it, I guess. But like our our friends launched exp yes, they did, and I feel like we should we should plug that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm happy to plug that.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it's sick if you find folks enjoyed uh the Firearms Expert Reacts series or any of the Expert Reacts. Those were done by the Lovely UK Boys Adam David Chris, who were unfortunately made redundant last year and are no longer with the company, but they have decided to continue that venture on their own. They launched a Patreon called e xp where they're basically.
Speaker 1: Doing the get same thing. I was like, I'm like so impressed that e XP is not a thing that they were able to they were. Yeah, it feels like fate that they got it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if you enjoyed that kind of stuff and want to see that continue, should go support them. Yeah, and they're and their ventures watch EXP on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Watch.
Speaker 3: I think it's similar thing every Saturday. Jonathan Ferguson. They still still got that ban, Yeah, but there's still more. There's more stuff they want to do on top of that now that they don't have to worry about like game spot duties that they had before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, I'm super happy for them. They have a Stalker two one coming cool.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, because I mean that game does actually some really cool like things with guns.
Speaker 1: Well that's what yeah, I mean, I'm not you. I mean, like, I love the work they do, and I love Jonathan as an entity and a personality. But I mean that's could be here. I usually just watch it for Jonathan and Dave rather than the game itself. But Stoker two is one of those games where like they do like those guns.
Speaker 2: I've seen videos of people like talk about Yeah, some of the details the guns have already and I was sitting there. I remember watching them being like, man, I kind of wish I wish I had Jonathan Ferguson right now to tell me about this, even.
Speaker 1: Like which in the AMMO and the shotgun and the pump action shotguns that every time you switch the AMMO that he has to take out all the other cartridges before he puts in the new Oh, I didn't even know that. I havn't used the shot and it has Yeah, it has great like where you can put it, like there's always the extra slot that pump action shotguns through the chamber you call it. Yeah, And I love using the pump action shotgun of that game. But it's definitely if I empty that in a gunfight, I'm not reloading it. The gun fight's over. I switched all my other guns.
Speaker 2: I mean that's that's I feel like that's realistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know that thing feels like I'm not sitting here and pumping seven more cartridges in this thing. So yeah, I had to watch that. Yes, Uh, that's a good show. Jake. Also, Jake Decker didn't get introduced you yet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm here, Angelic and ship.
Speaker 2: There's a lot. There's actually a lot to talk about. Oh well, first off, we weren't here last week. We we missed a week and that's because we had we had a big shoot in the office that was like all consuming for several days, and because of that, we just weren't able to fit in like time to record this podcast, which is why we weren't here last week.
Speaker 1: So apologies for that.
Speaker 2: But because of that, we actually have like a lot of stuff to talk about, because there's been some gosh dang video games that have come out, but I want to talk about Shocker instead.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, hey everyone, this is a video game podcast. We're gonna talk about video games eventually.
Speaker 2: Kurt, please explain to the audience what Shocker is.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I mean Max just asked her to do that, and Kurt's like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think I can, or more do I want to? How much do I want? No? I do, because I I think it's really important that everyone knows about this movie. I agree. Okay, So where do I begin? I guess I'll start with a It is a Every time I think of a word to describe it, even a genre, it doesn't quite make sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you could start with the director, that's ado.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well okay, so it's a It's a film from nineteen eighty nine, directed and written by Wes Craven. You may know Wes Craven most famously for Nightmare and Elm Street. He did the first film, none of the others except for New Nightmare, and then he went on to do Scream. He's kind of seen as you know, who the fuck Wes Craven is. So, but during there was a certain period of time when Wes Craven was making a lot of interesting films in the eighties, and one of them is Shocker. Shocker was Wes Craven's attempt at trying to start a new franchise like Nightmare and Elm Street because he was unhappy with how the sequels were coming out for NIGHTMARELM Street. So he was like, I want to make a new one. But instead of a guy that comes for you in your dreams, I'm gonna make a guy who comes out of your TV sort of kind of the rule Baby.
Speaker 2: The rules of Baby of the Villain are less.
Speaker 1: Any rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are no rules, and that's kind of what makes it amazing.
Speaker 1: Is also a film that has dreams that actually, oh yeah, break the dimension of reality where people can come and go into dreams and get objects from dreams.
Speaker 2: It's funny how much he like is both trying to like get away from nightmare but also is like almost trapped by it in some ways, like or or I don't mean, I don't even.
Speaker 1: Know if he was trying to get away from it.
Speaker 2: I just can just feel it, feel that energy. It does have that like I'm gonna make my own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just just but just to kick it off, this movie is fucking absurd. It fucking rules. It has the hardest fucking hair metal soundtrack does any movie I've heard in the fucking eighties. Uh, it is batshit insane. It goes from being.
Speaker 3: Like it's also like three movies in One's five movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes from one movie. It starts off as like college football guy kind of comedic, yeah, for like five minutes, and also it's like, oh, now you're in a nightmare scene, not only anymore.
Speaker 2: You know college football, and then suddenly like it hard cuts to let's go back home, and then the color palette yeah, completely shifts from like bright and poppy to just like, Oh, we're in a horror movie, and I was like, what is going on? Why has this movie changed into a different movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I find this movie so hard to sell because even when I told Jake and John Luke about it, it was just a text. I was like, I watched a movie called Shocker. You need to watch Shock. No one said a fucking word back to me. But it's because I was like, I don't know how. I just like, you have to trust me in good faith because even if I tell you about certain scenes, I can't because you need to experience it in real time. So yes, Also, uh, Shocker stars Mitch Peleggi, who is most well known for playing Walter Skinner and X Files. He is incredible, And so it's Walter Skinner, who was like Fox Molder and Dana Scully's boss. But it's him basically doing a Robbert England like Freddy Krueger version, but he's like a.
Speaker 2: And he kills it. As far as I'm concerned, he yeah, so good.
Speaker 1: He's a very prolific serial killer in this movie. He's killed like thirty people by the time the movie starts, and he just keeps getting away with it. The main character's father is a detective who just kind of looks bewildered the entire film. Yeah, everyone's like one expression, the fuck are you doing? Why can't you catch this guy? What's the deal? Until finally they catch him, they put him the electric chair, and by doing that, he then becomes this electrical entity that can transfer himself to bodies.
Speaker 2: But sure, then I was gonna say, don't even I don't even don't even spoil where it goes from there, because because the whole the experience of watching this movie was a scene happens like like you get ten minutes in and you feel like this is where like the climax of a of another movie.
Speaker 1: Would have happened.
Speaker 2: And then Kurt said, oh, you haven't seen anything yet, and I said it like, and then you can tend times ten times, and you were right. Every time I was like, well, hurts glooming bullshitting. It can't keep escalating, and it does up until like the very last fucking minute.
Speaker 3: It's incredible, even even the beginning, when uh did I forget the main character's name that Jonathan is like trying to convince his dad that his dreams might be able to help him find this this killer or whatever, and and you know, my brain's like, okay, so like the crux of this movie is going to be him trying to explain his dreams while they try to and they try to fill that's like two minutes and then it's just like a gone to something else.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, what's happening? And then you got it baby happens. And then I want to give no context to that. I just know there's a phenomenal turning point in that film when a voice says you got it baby, and then that's when it that's again. That was one of those moments where I was like, buckle the funk up because I'm not seeing a.
Speaker 2: Ship yet and I still don't know what that that was.
Speaker 1: I know they don't explain it. I know it's great. The last thing I'll say before we move on, other than everyone who's listening, just go watch it. Just please go watch it. Get a pizza, get a friend, if you have one, you.
Speaker 2: Should definitely it's this is a crowd pleasing, Like watch it with a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: Go in. It's one of those things where I say, like, go in blind. It really doesn't matter. Just like just expect that whatever you see you read online like won't prepare you for like how the thing unravels in the way that it does. Also like even I'm talking about like even the cooler dramatic scenes that happen. But the last thing I'll say is this movie was I read last night. I went through thirteen revisions until it got a rated R. Yeah, because it was getting kept getting actually, so they had to go back and do thirteen cuts, which for Wes Craven has been every film he's ever I would love that about Wes Craven that he just goes so even scream every time. He goes so hard that they're always like, dude, you need to relax the chill.
Speaker 3: Way he thinks of like I mean passed away, but like if he could see like what's going on with with horror now and like, uh, the Terrifier movies, how those have just kind of like side skirted the whole rating system and have been made millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There is something about like Wes Craven in an era where you can easily release unrated films and find an audience for that and still like make money.
Speaker 1: I mean, he did get his start with films like Last House and The Left in the Hills of Eyes, which if ever, I don't actually don't, don't quote me in this, but I'm pretty sure those movies are not rated because they are fucked up.
Speaker 2: Sure, and he did get away with a lot of that.
Speaker 1: It wasn't I would probably say not until Nightmare elm Street was his big commercial breakout. And even that movie had a fuck ton of revisions, a lot more gore. They still got away with a lot in that movie. And then of course Deadly Friend happened, and I don't I'm not gonna go ramble about Deadly Friend, but Deadly Friend.
Speaker 2: Is also incredible.
Speaker 1: The opposite where he made a PG thirty film and the studio is like, no, you're what's cravey? This needs to be r and he was like, all right, and then then we can't release this. You need to cut this cut down. It's so funny. But yeah. Scream also had an X rating version that came out where some some of the gore scenes were extended, most famously in the opening Drew Barrymore She's hung in the like first ten minutes that film, and the original cut it was a very slow push in on her body being hung from the tree, and they were like, this is too much, so they had to like theatrical cut. It's like all flashy and like, don't entirely see it. Her boyfriend's and testines like you see them actually like fall out of his body in the X rated cut. But they like trim that, they like crop the image for they are rating one.
Speaker 2: The fact that we'll never get the unrated cut of Shocker it bums me out, I know, but I also think that movie's perfect. Oh no, I agree, but I do think it would be even better.
Speaker 1: Some of the quotes in that movie, Uh, take a ride in my vault wagon? What was the other one? Fingerlicking good? I mean there's a lot. Every single time this guy speaks, he has the only vocabulary is like dick, just like gurgle, Like sometimes are just making gurgling sounds like I don't even know what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I unfortunately am that guy. And I looked at the letterbox score and it's a two point eight. So if you see this movie, you saw you looked at before We want no after after we were done.
Speaker 1: So if you see this movie, did you leave it. Let four and a half stars getting it up there.
Speaker 3: So if you see this movie, nothing below four and a half stars, we gotta we gotta get this radio. There's not a whole lot of reviews for this, so I think I think we can sway it pretty easily.
Speaker 1: What was your review?
Speaker 3: I didn't write, but I should I was. I've been thinking like what i'd actually said.
Speaker 2: All right, So there you go, audience, go watch Shocker and then go leave a four and half star.
Speaker 3: Or five or feels so compelled, let's get that rate. I think I'll probably bump it up to five because I was thinking about it all night, didn't.
Speaker 1: Even sleep thinking about this morning. So yeah, I might. I might go back and change that. Yeah. I was gonna say, like the last twenty minutes of that film, but I was like, but the twenty minutes before that, and then the twenty minutes before that, yeah, which all feels like it could have been last twenty minutes. That movie ends like four times and then it keeps going. That wouldn't change a single thing. Yeah, even the ending, even the actual ending is like how did that work? How did that happen? Yeah, but you know it wasn't tend to be a franchise TV show apparently would have completely changed the trajectory of Mitch Poleggy's career. He would have never been Skinner and cinema as a whole. Who knows, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, let's talk about some video games.
Speaker 1: It's fine, you know what she's talking about, The Suffering.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I actually I am planning to play it now. I am planning to play The Suffering. For context, The Suffering is a PS two era game where you're like a man in prison.
Speaker 3: I remember that box art so too, like going to Blockbustern seeing it, being like, I'm not old enough for this, But one day I'm going to play this, and I never did.
Speaker 2: So Apparently like the main villain of that game is directly inspired by the villain from Shocker. Yep, so I now feel obligating Pinker is a direct TV repair man to play The Suffering.
Speaker 1: So no, yeah, but we'll talk about that next.
Speaker 2: Yea, we'll talk about that next time.
Speaker 1: We'll do that.
Speaker 2: Video games a couple have come out the technically we have not talked about. It's kind of a weird one because I feel like I haven't played enough of it to fully form an opinion. But Avowed, M hmm, it's a game that came out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've only played like four or five hours. Yeah, I want to play more. But there's another game that we can't talk about yet that has just been.
Speaker 1: Like consumed everything. It's like all I want to do. I played a good ten ish hours of a Vowed. How'd you feel about it? So I where do I begin? For everything I do not like about Avowed is made up like tenfold for its actual design and gameplay. I think like the actual design of that world, like the way that the moment to moment gameplay of like exploring that world, doing the parkore, finding the nooks and crannies, like finding interesting things. The actual combat is like top tier phenomenal and rereading in. But I think everything else is from its writing, from its setting, from its characters. Isn't bad but just surface level enough to be like it's good and it's like and if if if the game was only those things, I would definitely be like, I'm not gonna play this. I'm not going to enjoy this.
Speaker 2: Oh weird to me because it is like the polar opposite of like what I come to expect from Obsidian, which is I come to expect like interesting but very janky like gameplay mechanics, but like really stellar writing and like world building, and this one's like kind of the opposite for me in that sense where it's like I think the I think the gameplay and the exploroation is like great in a way that I'm like wow, Like that feels like a huge leap for Obsidian as a studio, Like normally I don't expect that from them, But then I find the writing to just be just.
Speaker 1: It's just good.
Speaker 2: It's it's just good, Like it's okay, it's it's it's it's very wordy.
Speaker 1: It's over explaining how I is, how I've been putting it. It's like every everything.
Speaker 2: I really want you to know about their lore really badly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And but they do it in a way that just doesn't feel like a natural conversation between examply. There's also this is like a nitpick that I've talked about a few times, but I think, to me, it's really emblematic of how I feel about the dialogue. There's a scene early on in the game when you're going when you first make it to like the paradise, the area and you go to like a merchant and if you're with Kai, your first companion, yeah, the merchants, like Kai, I thought I told you to stop coming back here, and in a situation like that, uh, high responds and he's like he's like, what you're still mad about that hunting knife? And there's something like that to me is like you really didn't leave a lot to as me as a player, to like imagine what the situation was. I also just think it's unrealistic if somebody came up to be like Corre thought I told you not to come back here. I wouldn't just explicitly say like what I have, says you at that time, I pede in your coffee, Like no, I would have been like I could imagine myself being like let it go, like just chill out, and then the person who I'm with has to kind of unravel like what the fuck was that? Yeah, And that's the intrigue that yeah, missing like that like small natural of course, is like well what did you do about the hunting knife? Like I don't care about that. It's like the natural intrigue of being like, well, what the fuck was that? And I don't know I just feel it felt like a little robbed of my imagination, and that's fine. The rest of the conversations kind of fallow suit in that way where it's like you are explained everything that's happening at all times to a point, and then like it's cool that you can dig as much as you want into the Lord because they have that thing that was impentiment, right, Sure you can be encyclopedia thing. Yeah, yeah, which is cool, but again it's still done in a way where it's like it's just like noise to me, like there's just so much information. Yeah yeah, but I do. And also like, again this is the Kurt problems, but like if you squint your eyes, the game doesn't really like have much of an identity. Like it looks good, it looks great, it plays well. The art is phenomenal, but it's not. This goes to something I was complaining about a few weeks ago, where it's still like fantasy setting and it's like clean and in offensive. I don't I think you agree. I think it evolved, like not evolves, but I think.
Speaker 3: Like because I I haven't made it to this point, but I've seen what some of the areas look like the further along you get, and I feel like it does start to kind of forge its own identity in that way. Like I said, haven't made it that far. And I should also say I worked on this game. I'm in the credits, so like I are going to be somewhat careful about to say, and like you know, don't take my word for it if you're like deciding whether or not you want to buy this game or not. But I do think, like what I've seen of the later stuff, it feels like a little more confident in its style. Maybe I do think I do.
Speaker 1: I want to say, like it's hard for me to figure out the wording for my criticism because like it does, it does appear confident. It does on paperway look cool. It's just not in a way that's compelling me personally. Sure, Yeah, just like first impressions, first ten hours of the world, I was like, this is pretty and that's kind of like how I feel. And also if you go into the third person mode, I my fiance said this comment, and I can't un see it. She says, it looks like a fake video game you'd be playing in a show, like a TV show that we're playing it. It's just like, oh, that looks like a video game.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's it was clearly designed for first person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. First, but my last things will I will say is I'm usually not a very mechanics driven person, very only very specific games. I get really like into the like the actual feeling and design of games, mostly like Resioneaval games when they're done well. But I do really enjoy like the unabashed gamification in this game. It's good that like is very clearly missing from other big open world RPGs.
Speaker 3: In Elder Scroll I think too, like you mentioned it, but like oddly enough, like the platforming is kind of satisfying. It's very like, yeah, like there's not a lot of decent first person platforming games, especially in this genre, right, Like I think of like Elder Scrolls and it's like, yeah, you can jump like and.
Speaker 1: Glitch your way up a mountain. Yeah, that's kind of like the extent.
Speaker 3: Of the platforming where it's like I'm not following that path, I'm just gonna hop up. But like actually like using the verticality, using the platforming in order to like get on top of a building break open, like uh, you know, some boards in the ceiling and jump down and like or like fire arrows through there is like is is cool? And like kind of what you were saying, Like mechanically, this feels like such a big step for Obsidian that does maybe maybe people don't always expect.
Speaker 2: I mean just going off because I'm comparing this game a lot to their last game, Outer Worlds, because structurally it's kind of similar. I would say their last RPG, their last RPG.
Speaker 3: Sorry yes, throw that in their last.
Speaker 2: Big first person three RPG that game. I remember the open world stuff being not as memorable, like like I like, I remember like going from like a town to like a place to do a quest, but I remember just like I would walk to that quest, and I wouldn't really everything in between that is kind of a blur where in this game, I am constantly getting distracted where I'm like, okay, I'm gonna walk to this quest, and every moment I'm like, oh, what's the direction?
Speaker 1: What's so for that direction?
Speaker 2: And it's really well designed where it always rewards me with something, even if it's just like hey, I'm gonna climb that thing and it's like, oh cool, I found like gold in a bird's nest, which is like a small thing, but it like I was like, oh, there was a thing here, and so then it makes me want to do that every time, and like, so far I'm always rewarded with something. I think it's incredible. That's what makes the game incredible well designed.
Speaker 1: The amount of times I've just walked, I've come across a building or a structure or thing and I find my own way into it and realize there's like fucking twenty other possibilities of how I could have gone into that building with through the front door, like some out like oh I have to get into this building, and like went through the rooftop instead. When I realized the entires time I could have just walked in, Why did I do this? How did I do all of this?
Speaker 2: But it's great and and and despite like the map being really seemingly small, it is very dense where it's like that maybe the footprint is like small for an open world, but I feel like the amount of like exploration I can do within that area is much more than like any other like other games of its of its ILK. So yeah, I think that part is compelling. I was sayn the combat is just like really really fun, especially the spell casting stuff, like it's it's kind of hard to make fun like spell casting in first person, and like you just have your spell book and you have your wand or you have your double wands, and you're just like maybe you're just like throwing off spells left and right, and it actually gets like surprisingly complex in terms of like enemy you know, like shields and like what they're weak too, and being like okay, I have to like I have to like prioritize this enemy or they're gonna like keep buffing this person. Like like like I think that combat is like exceptionally well made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I keep it. That's why I compared it to an MMO when I was previewed it, And that feels the same way, where it's your crowd controlling and you have like a rotation of moves that you kind of get into rhythm of, or you realize that there's like someone buffing another player, so then like you have to put all your attention on that in a really interesting cool way, which I get like brings me back to like I have, like I don't know, it's a muscle memory of like World the Warcraft days.
Speaker 2: It feels much more than just oh, there's the enemies. I'll spam that attack and that attack, and you're just kind of like clicking on all your attacks. You have you do actually have to put thought and care into it.
Speaker 1: There's something sick about like having a two loadouts where you're like sword and shield and you go in and then you can just switch to a book in a wand and like do all this sick crowd control. Like I don't know, I think there's something really sad that's.
Speaker 2: Want in a gun and just yeah, like there's the variety and the ability to mix and matches is super cool. I've heard that like that the that kind of becomes a problem later and that like the economy of skill points is like an issue where I guess like there's not enough in the game and it makes it interesting difficult to actually like experiment. But I also haven't gotten to that point, so I can't speak on it. I've just heard that's an issue. But at least in the early game, like I do that first area, you are pretty you get a chance to like really like try mess around and try everything out, and that's like very fun and satisfying. So yeah, I think it's cool. I do want to play more, but I do feel like it's slowly slipping away from me. Yeah, these other games are starting to kind of come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say the one thing that it's actually and this is not a fault of the game, it's just it's just my play style for how well condensed and designed everything is. I do realize how much I enjoyed just simply wandering around in games without the feeling of getting distracted, if that makes sense, just like a meditation and walking in games. So when I do look at a game to play, whether it's Avowed or Stalker two, which are the two games I'm playing the most right now, I often play Stalker two purely because I just enjoy moving through an environment and walking for a while and just absorbing in an atmosphere. So that's all I mean. The sky turns red and you just die And what the book or you what happened to me where I like was moseying along and all of a sudden my radar thing wasn't going off or an anomaly and it was like an explosion of electricity, and I was like, what the fuck does happen? And then you ever played a death Rain? What are we talking about what are you doing? What you are here?
Speaker 3: No, I was playing a good amount of stalk or two to finish up this dock we teas the.
Speaker 1: Couple months ago. We'll talk about the end of the pod again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was playing something and like, I'm so consistently impressed by like how surprising Stalker two is just like and how like it just doesn't feel the need to explain half the ship that happens in that game. Like I see like the most ridiculous looking anomaly that is like sucking in, Like all the trees in your by are like getting sucked in. I'm watching cars get crushed and then and like I'm like I should get close to that. And then I get sucked in and die, and I'm like maybe there's something to figure out. And I go back and get sucked in and die, and then I'm like this time, I'm gonna figure something out, and I just get sucked in and die and I'm like, Okay, I'm just gonna let this thing what it looks cool, Uh, clearly I shouldn't touch it.
Speaker 1: And then I go on and do something else. I love, I absolutely love something.
Speaker 2: About like a because your video game brain like obviously, and then it's like the deaths were like no, it's like a your fox. It's like a thing that kills you, like you're not You're supposed to not go near that, like standing.
Speaker 1: Over throwing bolts at it, Like what does this do? What does this do? I'm just like I just die. Okay, I love that. Yeah that's great. Yeah. There's also been a few just great unscripted moments where I think you experienced it where this guy was like, hey, can you go in that uh that radio active plan over there and just give me back something, And the moment you walk through the door, there's like this creature I've never seen before that like.
Speaker 2: Multiplies into like oh yeah, other things, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I have no idea how to do it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you saw me like climb onto a box and I'm just standing there while these other people are fighting it and like, you guys, take care of this.
Speaker 1: I have never seen this thing. I don't get down with radiation. Yeah, okay cool. I also does appreciate that games on RPG in the way that like you don't have a constant feeling or need to level up or upgrade like of course you upgrade things, but there isn't that sort of gameplay loop of where if you come up as an enemy and you just are getting fucking destroyed by it. It's not like I can go but just grind out and level but no, but just avoid. I can't deal with this thing, Like yeah, you just just walk away from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you can find like an artifacts or not artifacts what are they called? Like, uh, those things that give you like pretty cool buffs, but like many because you have to work to get them. But you find one and it's like, oh, this is worth a lot, or like you just decision making you have to make. I think that game is very good.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to play more.
Speaker 2: Shift into a different game. I played like a Dragon Iuza in Hawaii God. We gave it a seven out of ten on game Spot. I think that's pretty accurate. To be honest, I would say this is a it's so dumb, it's so it's it's and and there's an interesting conversation to be had about like has this game both metaphorically and physically jumped the shark of like what is Yakuza.
Speaker 1: Jumped the plank? Jump the plank?
Speaker 2: I mean there there are sharks in the game, sure, but uh, like, what is Yakuza anymore?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like you know, because it's always been this balance of like serious and like goofy. And I would say this is like goes more on the goofy side in a way that's just like like.
Speaker 1: Have we kind of lost the plot here? Yeah, a little bit. I think it's always been interested with that. Yeah, because the series as it started, I mean, it's it. It was always a crime drama, yeah, and then the thing the comedic moments were like sprinkled and lightly infused, and then it like got more balanced as time went on. But now it just feels like they completely switched.
Speaker 2: Well, at least with this one. I I and and I do think the balance for you, because it is like the reason the comedic moments works so well is because it's so fucking dramatic and exactly like you'll watch a cutscene that's like extremely dramatic and soap operaty and just like intense and like violent, and then immediately it's like you see a man in his underwear like running around like nabido and you.
Speaker 1: Know, like human statute needs to take a shit exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, and it is just like that contrast. So this game leans more into that goofy side. But I think the fact that it is a side story, it's not the next like big tent pole, like you know, narrative storyline the franchise, like it can get away with it. It can be like it's like fine, It's like it's just you know what. This is just a weird side thing where Modima gets amnesia and then decides to become a pirate. Why are their old timey pirates hanging around Hawaii? Don't ask, it doesn't matter. Just get on your pirate boat customize. I have the stupidest boat. My boat has all of the like neon signs from Camarocho, like bolted to the side, and then my sails is a giant image of Kuru's face. But because of the way the sale like bends, it like stretches his face out, so it looks like distorted and wide and every and it shows up in the cut scenes so you'll like be they'll be like a dramatic cut scene of like we're gonna fight those pirates. Your face, you stupid face on my sails, And I'm like this is so dumb.
Speaker 1: So if has amnesia, does he know that he's put.
Speaker 2: I would like to imagine, because the whole thing is Modum is like obsessed with Kru. It's like, even with amnesia, he's still like I love that guy.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know why, but I'm like, I know that guy.
Speaker 1: The one question, the one question I want to ask for you is a long term hardcore all right, I mean just in general, like do you think so like Nintendo has this thing where instead of coming up with new ips, they come up in new games and then they see how they can apply an existing IP to that game. So it's like they come with new mechanics. Yeah, right right, so it's just like yes, exactly new mechanics, or even like a sports game, like oh, we want to make a sports game and like we'll just put our existing Mario characters in it, and same thing with like yeah, it's like, oh, we came up with this cool mechanic. Do you think that's what RGG is doing where they're just like, we want to make a pirate game, but we don't want to come up with a new thing. We just want to make a good pirate game and just be like some fucking play some degree. I mean they you know, maybe not entirely because every game is sort of still iterating and brings in like elements, but it definitely felt like they were just like, hey, what if we just make like a black flag pirate thing. They're like, yeah, we could do that. Yeah. I will say I interviewed the director, the most recent director in lead of the Like A Dragon games and his whole I mean, the phiosophy of the studio is that they do operate story first. They always come up with the story first, interesting because and then they'll design the mechanics around it makes most sense for that character. So that's why I Like a Dragon became a turn based game, because it's like, well, Itchibon Costuka is not a brawler, he's obsessed with fantasy and dragon quest, so therefore the mechanics have to match that.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because I feel like this game feels the opposite a little bit, where it does feel like maybe they had the mechanic first and then came up with the game because the story in this game is like pretty whatever. In my opinion, I haven't actually finished it. I've heard like the very end it gets like it kind of gets a little more like emotional and serious, but like the majority of the story is like basically just here's an excuse to go do wacky like gameplay pirate shit like it. It is like the story feels more in service to the gameplay than the other way around, which again, because it's a side story, I don't mind it. I'm not like upset about it, but I do think when you look back on it, it's like, yeah, it's like this is fun, but like, is this going to this isn't going to like stick with me and hit with me, because like even a game like the last spinoff one they did Man Who Raised His Name, I would say the majority of that story is like not super good. It's just kind of spinning its wheels a little bit and you're like where's this going. But then the ending like just absolutely gut punches you in a way that's like, oh, like that's why this game exists, in a way that like I was like, yeah, this game is great, and this game is like justified itself and feels like it serves a purpose where this game and maybe again maybe this game will do it at the end, but from what I've heard, it really it doesn't to that degree. This game just feels more like, ah, we just wanted to have a fun little part adventure and I'm okay with that. There's nothing wrong with that. But I think that's kind of why for me, it's like, yeah, it's like a seven. It's fun, it's a good time. If you like Yakuza and you just want more of that, like you'll have a really good time doing it. But if you're like I want the next big thing. I want like the next evolution, you don't have to play this. You could wait, especially if you just played It's like Infinite Wealth is like one hundred hour game. This is not is more like a twenty to thirty hour But even then, but even then, it's like, you know, if you're just like, hey, I maybe want to break for a minute, you know, because they make these games so often.
Speaker 1: And they put like what like three.
Speaker 2: D yeah and no, like they pump them out a lot. And I also am like, well, eventually we're gonna hit I am wondering, like when we will hit the point of like fatigue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the next their next game is that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that game looks sack fause that is like it has nothing to do with the ocasite.
Speaker 1: It's not in the same universe. Yeahs own thing and isn't like take place in like nineteen ten or like in nineteen twenties. Yeah, like Japan.
Speaker 2: And that looks awesome and I'm super excited for that, and I think that's like I wonder.
Speaker 1: If that game is going to be funny, because that truly didn't look funny. No, that came really seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if they took it as an opportunity to kind of do something different DVA. Yeah, I would. I would love that. And then of course then they're doing Virtue Fighter too, like RGG Sega is just like you can take care of everything. Yeah, you can do everything. And they make monkey Ball too, Oh my god. And that one that one zombie shooter game is there like a Dead Souls. Yeah, it's called yea, the Dead Souls. It's like a non canonical like what if zombie showed up and they all had to fight?
Speaker 2: Like so that's the thing like in a world where like there was already a spin off game with like you're fighting zombies like is being a pirate? Like really, That's why I'm just like has it jumped to Shark. I'm like, I don't know. We already had like a weird spin off with with Zombies.
Speaker 1: I just think RGG is positioned in a different way in the zeitgeist, and they.
Speaker 2: Were then they were, and also they were technically this game cannon in a way that other game was not. But also I also go like, it's again, it's a spin off.
Speaker 1: It's fine. I don't.
Speaker 2: To me, it's it doesn't like, oh the canon is ruined now, like, what are you doing pirates crazy?
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, it's fine. Do you think they're gonna keep putting these games in Hawaii?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they'll. I think they because the whole thing is they love to, like they bank all that stuff so they can go back to it. I think having because because they love to just like reuse their assets. They're very economical about the way they make their games in a way that I actually super expect. I think it's kind of brilliant, like to like, I think it's extremely brilliant.
Speaker 3: Do that. You know, It's like we have this whole space built out for the player. We could like late game, we can have them return and it feels very natural, Like I personally.
Speaker 1: Love that stuff. I think it's cool they want to learn that city you start to experience in a different way.
Speaker 2: I agree one hundred percent. But I also think they, at least so far, have like known when to like, Okay, well, well we'll take that one away for a while so you don't get too fatigue and will come back. So but it makes sense that they did it with this one because it's like, here's the spinoff that's building off a lot of what the last game was. It's what like like Lost Judgment was did the same thing where like after seven came out, Lost Judgment took place in oh Yokohama, and it's like, Okay, we're reusing the map, but.
Speaker 1: It's with different contacts. Smart. I think it's smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think they'll probably I'm sure they'll use Hawaii again, But I also think I don't think like the next main game would take place on Hawaii. I think they kind of know, like that's the opportunity to like really bring something new.
Speaker 1: Jake, where do you want to take place? San Francisco?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they've opened they've opened the floodgates for like non you know, Japan because I think.
Speaker 3: It was during Summer game Fest talking to Stu about it, and Stu was like talking about like how they could use San Francisco.
Speaker 2: I mean, Chinatown would be like such an obvious.
Speaker 1: That kind of on North Beach, Japantown, Japantown.
Speaker 3: I mean, like there's not many Japantowns in the United States and like officially recognized ones, and those Japanese characters, how they would like interact in interpreting and almost.
Speaker 2: Criticize or like the idea of them like making up like a fictional yakuza that is in like the San Francisco like Japantown or loss. Yeah, but like imagine definitely not a fake.
Speaker 1: Fighting on the top of like the Salesforce tower or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, throwing someone out the window of that. Yes, and you can play on the fact that half the building San Francisco is sinking because of you know, like I don't know, there's plenty of fun. There's a lot of you know, interesting characters. There's what the bush Man that they tried to put in uh uh watch Dogs. They did put it and watch it, but it was like, Okay, that's a funny joke, but I feel like there could be an entire sub story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes that character, Yeah, oh that person. San Francisco is weird. So San Francisco is so weird.
Speaker 2: The amount of story, like side stories you can make about like tech bros and like even weird hippies and like plays Valley or Likenshbury.
Speaker 3: I feel like we're naming all these districts, though they'd probably only just take one. I know, it's like they would be okay, I don't know, like I just be I think that there's a lot of version of San Francisco. But yes they would. I would personally.
Speaker 1: I do you think it would be sweet to play is like see like Madrama and the Hate Ashbury. Yeah, like around that could be great.
Speaker 3: I mean the Nag's head could be a whole story, you know, like yeah, like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should hit us up and well this is what you here's all the spots put this in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love that. That would be so good.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, anyway, anyway, come with a better one than that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't have a better one. Rochester, New York.
Speaker 1: The most boring places you could possibly do anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would be cool to see them go to I don't know. It's like part of me is like, well, they could go to other places in Asia, but I would be like nervous of that in the sense of like, uh, dude, like I don't care when like other countries like use America. It's like a setting because like one, I think we're so prolific that like it's not hard to understand us, and also like you can make fun of us. Yeah, fine, but like when you have when you when if you had like Japan, like go to like another Asian country, you know, like say South Korea, it's like, wow, there's a history of Japan and South Korea, and like maybe there I can see that being more like, oh, do you guys actually like culturally understand this place in a way that would land. So I don't know if they would, if they should do that, or if even they would feel.
Speaker 1: Comfortable doing that. In most cases, it's better for probably, like for I can imagine it'd be easier and better to do something that is more alien and removed from you, removed from.
Speaker 2: Your culture in a way so or so laser focused on because I think what makes Yakas are great is like they understand their culture so well and they're able to like lampoon it in a way that's like very like fun and satisfying and like you like you can like even as like an outsider, you can tell like yeah, you know, oh okay, you guys are you know you you you're really honing in on this like specific element of your culture and making.
Speaker 1: Fun of it in a way that's fun.
Speaker 3: So anyway, hire us to give you the spot everything to make fun of in San Francisco and all the sub stories, well all the points of interest.
Speaker 1: It'll be it'll be great. Yeah, there would be such a funny storyline with like tech bros like like I mean, like again, I can't like you know, imagine one of the character it writes itself. It's just like you would you could the mini games of the apps, like I don't know, I could already see like oh yeah, there would definitely be a you know, a stock market like game, but you're doing it for an app that you're like I don't know, like building or doing I don't know. Yeah, it's all there. You take way most to get around yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or you operate whatever, yes yeah, yeah exactly, I mean they already have stuff like that, exactly so it's like that that translates so perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you manage you manage waymos. I have to deal with that and like people who do weird ship in your cars. I mean there was a whole taxi mini game in five exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just bring that back.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's all there took away middle last night listen to death upward. Who would have thought, good for you? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: What else have we been playing that? You know?
Speaker 2: There was something I played. Now I'll wait till next week because I haven't finished it and I want I want to give my full it's it's Shouts of the damn to PreMaster.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 2: I played half of it. I didn't get to play any last week. So this week and I'm going to finish it and I'll report back in my thoughts.
Speaker 1: Then. Yeah, because the game that most of you are playing, I can't talk about next week, so and I haven't. Boy, I cannot wait.
Speaker 2: I could probably guess what it is, but we're very excited to talk about it.
Speaker 1: True fear for.
Speaker 2: Those suffering one and two? Was there second suffering the ties that bind? Oh, it is the name of the second one.
Speaker 1: I thought that was the name of the the suffering, got got more got a franchise than Shocker did. That's a shocker Damn.
Speaker 2: I think that's a podcast.
Speaker 1: So it's good. I think we're gonna keep this one night. You Got a Baby.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much everyone for listening. Before we go, Jake, let's talk about that project we've been working on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're getting close to the finish line. For those who may have missed it, we teased it like end of last year, I think, but we've been hard at work on a uh Stalker two documentary that documents the the evacuation that a lot of the devs went on in order or after the full fledged invasion of Ukraine. We went to Prague to interview seven developers and then we interviewed two more who are still in Kiev, uh and in Ukraine over Zoom and that is Finally we are approaching the finish line, hoping to have it out before the end of the month, maybe early next month. But a lot of TLC has gone into this, a lot of research, a lot of preparation, a lot of editing. I mean, we've tapped a lot of people, including folks who used to work at GameSpot. Joey Ye has done a ton of graphics for it as well, which is really cool to work with.
Speaker 1: Joey again also.
Speaker 3: Incredibly talented of course, and then you know, you guys have helped lay that foundation. Richard and I have been like hard at work editing it and like.
Speaker 1: Shout outs to Richard in particular, I feel like Richard had brought this thing back on track, because this.
Speaker 2: Project I feel like would have potentially died. It's funny Richard hadn't come in and like helped us finish it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I was thinking about this and it's in no way whatsoever comparative to what the team of Starker two did, But there is something sort of ironic out how like even like that team went through so much shit to get that game out, and then during the time of us putting this thing together, nothing comparable in the slightest, But it just feels like we've we ourselves have been through so many, so many roadblocks, and so many roadblocks like between just resources ands and like stuff like that were like their personal yeah, you know, just everything. We're just like I just need to get this fucking thing out the door. And you know, of course there's only a few of us compared to the four hundred four hundred people at GS.
Speaker 3: About I think, yeah, I think just over four hundred. But uh yeah, I would say, like, I'm sure a lot of people have seen the war Games documentary that Xbox in the Stocker team released end of last year. Yeah, hm, and this feels like somewhat of a continuation of that. I'd say I haven't watched it. I didn't want to watch it because I didn't want to kind of influence how we make this documentary.
Speaker 1: But from what I understand, a.
Speaker 3: Lot of this stuff covers stuff that, like like the x Buck documenting ends at a place and then we kind of pick up from there maybe.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched it because I kind of wanted to just like make sure we weren't we treading the exact same ground, and that that Xbox Dock very kind of covers a lot of of them leaving like like the actual evacuation, but it kind of ends once they then get to.
Speaker 1: Prague and then it kind of skips so ours actually talking to people who are continued and they're still in Progus exactly. So like we do cover the evacuate, we do cover the evacuation because you know, we want to like make sure that's explained and understood. You know, like we're not gonna assume people have watched that doc, but like it does go more in depth on like the process of like resetting up their lives after and I would say it it you know, we we maybe hone in on a few people that we're some people.
Speaker 2: There are some people that were in both, but I would say like we kind of like get a little more in depth with with some people and some of their their personal stuff. So yeah, I do think I think if you watch that doc, like it's still worth watching ours because we do talk about more things that weren't covered in that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things that like didn't happen when they like like there was a studio fire like that was covered in the Xbox document. Doesn't talk about that because it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that doc, like they get to Prague, it skips time and then it ends with them like the first time they showed it at like Games Calm, like twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think so, like there's like a whole year's worth of stuff that has happened since and feelings and emotions that like we've gotten to capture and you know that that weren't in that thing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, anyway, very excited for to finally get that out the door. Like I said, a lot of people have been working very hard on that, and I think folks will hopefully and maybe not.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it that seems like the wrong one, but maybe get more context.
Speaker 3: In terms of like how that game was developed, in the insane situation that that team was put under in order to ship a game, and the legacy that the potential legacy that that game has given everything that happened.
Speaker 1: But I don't want to say too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one thing the world needs more right now. It's it's like just the opportunity to like empathize, understand and understand people and like what they've been through and what they're still going through.
Speaker 1: So yeah, anstocer To is a good game to game.
Speaker 2: So you know, if you haven't played it, you should do that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it'll encourage you to. Anyway. Thank you so much everyone.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate your continued to support on this podcast and just all the things we do here that game spot and and all that jazz. Thank you you too for being on they get a maxim the back max I love you making this thing go.
Speaker 1: Funk off and with that, we'll see you next time. Goodbye,