Speaker 1: Welcome to Big for Society. If you have Bigfoot activity to report from the same areas discussed in this episode, please reach out to me directly after this episode. And if you'd like to be on the podcast to discuss a personal bigfoot encounter, please reach out to me directly at Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com. Do you wish there was more Big for Society to listen to you every week? Well there is now. If you become a supporting member over at Patreon, you get a special members only episode every single week on Wednesdays, and sometimes even more episodes. Head on over to patreon dot com. Forward slash the big for Society and now let's get on with the show. All right, Bigfoot Society. We got the privilege of talking to mister Harold Benny today. He's a zoologist from Illinois. He's got a very interesting story, Harold. I'm gonna let you go ahead and take the reins, my friend.
Speaker 2: Okay, about the summer that I turned sixty and I look at it. This would have been two thousand and seven, and this was when I actually I called it the first bigfoot that I ever saw, Although I had a couple of strange things that I don't talk about because they are so strange that that happened before. But this is down in Oklahoma, and you probably heard of Honobia. The locals call it Hornaby. And some of you probably have read a book by Tom pal called The Locals and the Locals. He spends quite a bit of time and he talks about this little town and some stuff that has happened down there. And I was down there looking around and seeing all the things in the book and everything. But the last night that we were down there, down there with two friends, me and two others had had gone let's say, south of town more or less, and spent some time setting in the bushes and whatever, and we just I had to go northtown and get into the hills they call them mountains, And we went up a mountain road about ten o'clock at the night, maybe ten thirty. We started up the mountain road, and we had an old pickup truck, and I rode in the back of the pickup truck and the other two just rode in front, and we went up there. It seemed like forever, but when we stopped and figured it out, it was about six miles and maybe seven and we parked the car or the truck, and then walked up a ways and we crossed the bridge or went across the creek, then up a little hill, and I got bad legs, so I'm never in a hurry, and I don't mind walking in the dark by myself. Anyway, I was going pretty slow and left the other two just going up ahead. I got up to the top of the hill and I had a military grade thermal, And back then these thermals didn't do anything except let you see. Now the thermals will record, and they're a lot less expensive, but they're not nearest as nice as accurate. Anyway, I had this thermal, and I'd been up in this location before, and as I was walking the road to the Temphry road, I would stopped here and there and panned through the woods with this thermal. And I hadn't gone too far up this hill to the top of it, when I happened to see a head in the bushes moving up and down, and I just froze, didn't move, and I had the thermal on this object, and I just stayed there and watched it for quite a while. He would just head would deck down and then it would appear again above the bushes a couple of feet away, and awful. Being over seventeen, I know at least the thing was. It was only about maybe forty feet away from me for it all. And I got a little nervous, a little bit upset with this great, big thing that was right there on the side of the road almost next to me, and I had to stop and take a couple of breaths, and I thought, Okay, just had my birthday. I made it to sixty. I've always wanted to see something like this my whole life. And it started spending more time out in the woods, and I said, heck, I'm going to watch this. I watched it as long as I could, and then the other tree I was with they came back down the road at me and yelled, and I looked up. And when I looked up, this big animal that I'd been watching and disappeared. It took the chance of the opportunity to get back down the bushes somewhere. So the other two came down and asked me, and I told him what I saw, and I don't want them, I don't think blade me. But one of them, another one that had the thermal ad a thermal. She looked into the woods where I'd been looking at and she saw the animal also, so I had verification right there, which so I know it wasn't just my imagination. And if she watched it for a little bit and it was leaning against the tree, it wasn't hiding anymore. And finally a guy away where she couldn't see it either. So I watched it. I'm probably not full minute, but then forty seconds forty five something like that actually, and I thought that that was quite a while. But it just stayed within a pretty small area, just going back and forth and looking up and down, trying to look watching me, and everybody asked me what it looked like through this thermo. It was just completely bright white and there was no detail ready that I could see except this was big and white. We radioed and we got a couple other people up there, and actually we sat in the seven minute ditches for a while and just hung around up there, and it was interesting. We used a couple of guys that were backed up in the woods there and they weren't too far away. They were camping. I think they were from Kentucky or Tennessee, and we gave them a call on the phone or on the radio because we were on the county road. This county road, though, the hunters cut it over and they put gates up. This is back in the hills, so there was nobody stopped doing this, and the hunters were told us they were going to close the gates to keep us out the rest of the night. We called these other guys and we told them they better pack up real quick because the gates were going to get locked up. An interesting thing that packed up. They started up their old trucks, and when they did, they got howls from behind their campground and we could hear them. We went that far away, we could hear the howls or the grints and the wood knocks. It's almost like they were communicate and say, hey, we don't know whether whether the one side of guys is that these guys here are movement, they're doing something. There was a lot of movement and there was a lot of sound up there. Now, let's see, so that would have been time that all happened. It would have been really close to right around midnight time. I had the sidings and we had the other people up there, but nobody else saw anything. We had some some smells, but they weren't that strong, and I wouldn't really want to say that the smells were associated with anything else that was right there either, And let me see. We went back down to the truck and we got out of the area before we got locked in. But actually for that sighting, that was that's the main part, and that's about what happened. Just this last fall in October, there was a rise up of that siding that seven almost seventeen years ago. And I did a spoke at the Murphy's Boro Bigfoot Fest this year and I was interviewed and one of the guys that interviewed me, he wrote to this story that I've just told you. He wrote it up and it was in the Illinois Country Living magazine that is put out by Electric co Op. And that's where I thought that you got the story. But now it's not many. It might not be the best story I've got, but I saw it. There's no doubts about it. It felt like I could almost touch it from where I was standing, and it was probably it was probably as bad as close as i'd really want to get to one I've been any closer I had been in It's a life soon. But I can see how some people get to get the jitters and they get to feeling funny and they don't know what to think. But I consider myself to be really lucky, one of the lucky few to actually see this animals, see it alive and see it moving, And it was like it was a dark so people were going to say it was dark. You didn't really see it that well. I saw a pretty dog gone good. But actually that about takes up. Next afternoon, I had to leave back drive back here to town, and I was excited all the way back. I still get excited when I talk about it. But let me see, I think that's probably about all what I've got to say about that right.
Speaker 1: Now, Harold, do you mind if I jump in and ask you a few questions about that specific memory you have? Yeah, go ahead, perfect, just because it's very rare to be able to talk to someone from that time period in that location for the listeners that might not be aware of it, can you explain what you remember of what you heard about the events of the siege at hoh Nubbi that happened around twenty years ago in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: It seemed to be. It was a pretty hot spot, and I think there's been a lot of stuff. It's been closed down. You don't have the people don't have the freedom to go in and out. I don't think I could even get up that road anymore. Of course, you go anywhere, and the locals have seen this these animals or heard these stories, and they take it as just an everyday thing. But there was quite a bit activity. They have none dumpsters brought in, so they had a portable dump, and these animals would get out there and they'd get in the dump. I guess that was pretty common. And they would get into the cattle feeders. They have great big cattle feeders. Well the tops would pull off and they put the feed in them. They would pull off the tops and get in and get the get the feed out of them, and it was just really real common for everybody now. But right there in the middle of town there used to be a little store and there was a couple of cabins from rent. There was a house for rent, and there was a campground and I think they still have their every I think they still had a festival down there, and a couple of my friends knew a bunch of the the work with it, but I have not been back down there myself for quite a while now. There was just an awful lot of activity. It seemed like all the times I had, not just at that area where I was, but all around the town. There was something going on all the time. And there were I don't know, three or four sightings around the week that I was down there. I had been out. Actually I was in Arkansas the week before, and then I was in Hornaby for about ten days, and then all my free time was up. I was still working then, and I had to get back what I shared done. If I'd had any brains at all and had a little bit more time, or I should have made the time, I should have gone back up to where we were and into the woods and really checked it out real well. But I think that I got so excited in everybody I think would get awful excited that you just lose your common sense. But since then, when something's happened, I searched for footprints and hair and whatever, and then see if there's anything else around there. But I felt pretty lucky that I had another person there to cite the same animals, so I didn't. But and that brings up something else. Sighting of that animal by just about anybody is so unbelievable that it probably cut me three or four months before I really believed that I'd seen it, and I kept telling myself. Finally I know, I saw it, was right there. It wasn't my imagination, and I actually saw this animal. But I've had a couple of other times, a couple of other sightings where one of them took me fifteen years to finally admit in my own mind that I saw it, and another one I really haven't yet that I saw it. I don't crust my own mind. I don't think. I'm not sure if what in my own mind is if my mind's making up something, or my mind crying too hard somebody. Some people will try so hard and everything they see or everything they hear is a bigfoot, and they don't stop and consider what's actually going on or what could be causing what they're seeing or what they're looking at, And the first thing that pops in their mind is bigfoot. And there's a lot of animals in the woods, and some of them are pretty fantastic, the things they can do and think, Yeah, you have to stop and consider everything else, and if you can't figure anything that could be causing what you're seeing, then maybe it might be a big foot. And that's why I try to look at it. I don't know if I answer your question or not. Went around around there.
Speaker 1: I think those are you definitely need to have a discerning mind, is what I'm picking up. But going back to Hoe numb you a little bit. So, you said you went to that area because of some events that happened, and it was talked about in Tom Powell's book. When you went to that area to check things out for yourself, it sounds like did you talk to anyone in the area about the events that had happened.
Speaker 2: Not especially the events from that book.
Speaker 3: Now they went past there was one cabin where there was an awful lot of problems and it was set real close to the main road that came into there from the west, and they were had bigfoot in and around and stealing deer out of the fleezure. And I think one of the things that they had done they had for some reason planted peas around there in the garden or in the yard, and the deer came in and like the peas.
Speaker 2: The deers were eating the peas, and then they were actually shooting at the deer and the bigfoot. See, they thought the bigfoot learned that when they heard the shooting at the deer, that meant that they were deer and feeding on the pieves in the yard. And they'd come into the house and then into the area then and actually was a real small area, and it was a real small cabin.
Speaker 1: Big for society. Who would be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: But I guess that they even got into the figured out how to get into the freezers. But I thought that that was really interesting. They associated the gunfire with food, so it wasn't chasing them away, it was actually drawing them in. Anyway. There was a cabin across the other way where they had some things. I'll tell you one thing. There was one night several people had the thermals and the one guy called on the radio one night he said he had a hot one. He said there was a big win. He said it was up this tree back by this other cabin that was to the south of where we were. And so we hawked through it over there, and it was hard because there was a lot of rough ground in this one area. We got over there. What we found out is that he was sitting back in there and he was looking up a power pole into a transformer, and he was picking up all the heat off the transformer, and he thought we had a big foot up a pole. So that's just one of the things that can happen. I'm mistaken, and everybody jumped to it and figured they had something up there, but they didn't. They were just a transformer.
Speaker 1: That's just a great example about you. You have people that are probably extremely amped up about those events you were talking about. That is the siege at ho Nubby that people had probably heard about before. That's what you were referring to with the big Foot trying to get the deer out of the refrigerators that were on the cabin porch. I believe is how the story goes. But do you remember I think there were some investigators that were sent to check it out, and do you remember what happened to the Bigfoot at the end. I don't know if the whole story exists in any one location. I guess I could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had it to be, and this Tom pouts will it would be as much as anything beginning of what. I haven't reviewed it or looked at it. I really don't know how how it ended up. How it is much later, but I think that they did drive them off. I think I heard on a rumor or not that a truck driver had seen one of the bigfoots that had been shot trying to make it back up the woods and straight south from there was a small hill and again they call it a mountain. But I really don't know, but I'll finally happened there after that. I suld have probably looked it up and reviewed that. It's just been a long time since I've read that. And like I said, I've been seventeen years since this all happened to me.
Speaker 1: Harold, Who were the individuals that you were with? Do you remember the individuals you were with when you were out in the woods and you saw that head bobbing up and down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't really use name one. The one girl that saw it. Also, she's passed away with cancer. Okay, sure, she was a girl from She was a girl from Indiana, real smart gall And then there's guy from Texas and he still works in the area, and he supposedly had a lot of sightings there. And I won't use his name either, because I don't want to draw any heat down on them. I don't use names too often. I don't even like to people say Okay.
Speaker 1: I respect that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but and that really one reason is that I get as much information and as I get, even right here in Illinois, because people that I were going to work with before they know I'm not gonna that I might want to tell I'm not want to tell the story, but I'm not going to say who they were, are exactly where they were, because we don't need we don't need people running through their fields and the people bothered them. So I kind of lay away from that, and that maybe takes away from some of some people believe in some of the stories. But then that's that's too bad. I wouldn't have the stories at all if I didn't do it that way, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think, and I agree that's I think that's the right way to do it. You need to be respectful of people's privacy. And I've had plenty of stories where the person it gets out they had a big foot on their property and that it's reporters and reporters it's back in the seventies, But yeah, you have to be careful sometimes what info you get out. But thank you for talking about the siege at O Nabi and what you experienced after that time for a bit there, Harold, do you mind if we take a little of a step back, and we were talking before the show that you've been into Bigfoot for an extremely long time, and do you mind if we take it all the way back to the beginning and share what you remember from the very early days and then go from there.
Speaker 2: I was born in forty seven, so I've been around a long time. I hope to be around why yet, But before I was ten, maybe by the time I was ad, I can remember my dad used to bring home a newspaper, clippings, magazine clippings, things like that. They would talk about somebody somewhere all this caveman or somebody somewhere saw this ape or whatever. They didn't have a name for yet, and of course there's been stories going back to I think the seventeen hundreds. But he would bring stuff like that home, and he was a pretty smart guy. He worked as he didn't have a degree, but worked as a chemist, and he would just always tell me then all this, this is true. We don't know anything about this. This is really what it is. But keep an open mind, because if if, if you don't keep an open mind, you're never going to learn anything. And so I was, so I was brought up that way, keep an open mind. And so he would, I remember, if we threw out Miami triality, he would bring stuff home like that. And then I finally finally forgot about it when I got a bit older and got through high school and got through college, and oh, I'm not sure how well I was, and I finally realized that, hey, there's well the Internet and everything. There's a lot of people gathering a lot of information. And I figured I would just start looking and seeing what was out there. And I found hundreds and hundreds of books, and so I got back into it. Then there were when I was a little bit older, and like a lot of people, I ended up getting divorced and then I went paralyzed. And I recovered from that, and I started and started taking some trips and talking to some people and build up a heck of a library. And this is the thing. If you want to learn anything, or research anything or whatever, you need to read everything that's out there and find out what's been done and what's been done before you start munching around yourself, because there's no need to repeat everything that's been done. And I learned fight a bit, and then I got hooked up for a few years with a BFRO. I was investigator for a few years them, and then I started leading some of my own small groups and things in Illinois here and the things just build up from there. Let me say, but anyway, I've I've had my mind on whether or not this animal exists for a long time. And my dad passed away in ninety nine, and that sighting was about two thousand and seven, that sighting I've told you about. And I'd just give anything if he was still around, and I could go over and tell him about the things I've seen and the things that I know I've seen, and just to let him just to let him know that there are things out there. But I think he'd really enjoy he'd really enjoy finding out. And I found that over the years, I've had quite a few friends, and I was able to separate out my good friends. I tell them some of these stories to say I saw it myself, and my good friends would say that if you saw it, I believe it. And I taught school for about five six years too, And now that was before I started doing too much of this stuff that I've had ex students who they tell me the same thing, get in touch with me and and they said, I always worrying about that animal. You actually saw it. That's yeah, I actually saw it and I know it's there. And they said, and I tell them, I said, if you want to go out me sometime, I could take you if you want to go. And I said, no, if you say it's there, I don't really want to go. And a lot of people are interested that they don't want to go out at night and set in the field by themselves. And I didn't understand that I answered that question and not.
Speaker 1: Either Rich I would say, you did. We talked earlier that you are you consider you went to school for being a zoologist. I'm very curious, so your viewpoint as a zoologist. How does a zoologist look at the creature called bigfoot.
Speaker 2: I'd say most of them just think it's a bunch of malarkey. Now i've talked to them just recently from around the country that they're in the BFRO and there's a lot of people that just don't know. And if I hadn't seen it, I'm going to say more than once, I couldn't. I couldn't be with myself. But there's something out there doesn't make any sense. There's a lot of things mostly that don't make any sense about how these animals has lived and reproduced and there seems to be an awful lot of them in certain areas and just biologically, just things just don't make sense. But we're dealing with something here we don't know. We don't know what it is. Really, we don't know where it came from, and there's a lot of theories. We don't know exactly what it is. And there's no experts on this animal. And I know there's some people that think they are, but you can't be an expert on an animal that's not even hasn't been proven to exist. It's just everybody's got ideas and they passed the ideas around and it's just hard to come up with anything. So any in chart has to say that most of those wilds aren't going to believe in it. And I think even eventually they come up with a with a good body, no matter where they find it or where they put it, They're still not going to believe it. It's going to be one of one of those things, like everything is today, you can't believe anything you hear or see. It seems, but I just tell myself, I saw it. I know I saw it. I have to believe it. But I loved you before I pass away. I love to figure out how it does exist, and those are the things that it does. I just don't know. I just don't know. It's a heck of a good mystery.
Speaker 1: I would wager to say it's one of one of the best. And I hope before the end of my time that there's some sort of definite answer that's finally able to be Maybe there's a type specimen that's able to be taken, or I don't know, whatever it would take. You all, just what do you think it would take for this to finally be proven? Would it take DNA specimen?
Speaker 2: It's like you said, is they take a type specimen. There've been all this DNA work that different people talk about, but the DNA works is not worth too much because we use different samples that came from this area and that area. This animal, not animal it's all hearsay. It's all heresay. Where the samples came from. You're going to have to have a type specimen. You're going to take the samples off the type specimen and run them and find out what it actually is. That's one of the things that really drives me crazy. Just because they've run the DNA test, If you don't know where the samples came from, you haven't got anything. And I know a lot of people that's going to upset a lot of people too, But that's what's how it is. We've got to use science, and then they need to use science and scientific methods to get this thing figured out. But if it even can be figured out, I don't know. It's a lot. Like I said, I've been looking into it a long time now, and about the best we can do is hope to see it now and then. But until we have you on, until we have a type specimen of the type of animal to actually run test on, it's just not gonna nothing's going to count. I guess the way to put it. Sure, so you know where it's coming from, it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: Harold reminded me, were you actively your relation to Bigfoot research. What was it in the nineteen seventies? Was it existent at all?
Speaker 2: Not a lot of the nineteen seventies when I mentioned the Bigfoot festival down in southern Illinois that happened fifty fifty one years ago today, and I guess it got a lot of it got a lot of advertisement, publication around the world and stuff. But I was working as a camis two miles from where I'm said today, and all through all that I didn't even hear about it. I didn't even know about at it, okay, but about through the seventies and whatever. Actually, I was still teaching, doing some things, trying to raise a family, and I had my head a lot of other places. But I've just was just taking up some things here and there. And there's timing in a guy's life that he's got to be raising the family and worrying about that. And I guess I had where I had my head.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, totally get it. So we talked earlier about you've spent a lot of time researching Bigfoot in Illinois, which is where you're based out of. And I've been able to talk to a few people from Illinois I've talked to. There's definitely some things going on northeast of Peoria in the northern part of the state. There's the Shawnee area down in the south part of the state, and you've got a little Egypt and all that good stuff down there. But what has your research been like in the state over the years?
Speaker 2: Okay, when I go, I think it's much time in as Shawnee as I can. And basically in Illinois, if you're not in the Shawnee, you're someplace where you probably haven't got permission to be That's a big thing. If you get out of park ground, the public ground in Illinois, you just haven't got permission to be there. So I spend a lot of time in the murphy Boro area on that side of the state and the south about as far as you can drive down through down to Jonesborough and even further. And then I go over to Harrisburg and south from Harrisburg, and I've got a little private park down there that I use. It's Williams Hill Pass. I use that a lot.
Speaker 1: Big for society will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: And always have something really strange and really something really stands out every time I go down there. And sometimes an awful lot of stuff happens down there. A lot of stuff happens at Murphysboro. I cannot sometimes decide when I have a few days where I want to go, because both those areas are good. And the thing is there's a lot of ground down there that you can you can get on. Now. I've brought ten, fifteen, twenty BFR investigators right up here to Montgomery County, to Hillsboro and try to do some things up here too, But I can't keep them off the private ground. I'll have ground, but I have permission to use. But I don't know. Maybe they're just not used to keep the people being protected whether they're up their ground. You just you've got to creet these farmers nice. They've got to lunch. Maybe sometimes you got to shoot a few coyotes to get permission to get on there and do anything. Except if they think they've got something, they'll call you and ask me to come down and look. But they're the big thing is who owns the ground and do I have permission to get on it? And like I say, I'm in Hillsboro and I have a lot of sightings day's out, an awful lot of them, which is funny, And do all that go back maybe thirty five years all around this town. From where I'm sitting right now, I could go six seven miles north or south and be in areas where there's been three or four sidings. I could go east and west and not quite as many sightings. The thing about Hillsborough here is I think that makes it so good. We've got the Shoal Creek that's called and it's three branch creek, and hill roll sets at the top of the branches between the east branch and the middle fork. The middle branch and then Lynchfield is eight miles to the west, and there's another branch with its sharper and it joins into the middle branch after just maybe ten miles. The thing with me, we've got again being it's all privately on ground, but we've got water and lots of food, and with these three creek branches, I think it's really it's just ideal for something like this. And I guess I'm lucky that I was raised and brought up here and I've still got a few living relatives and I know a lot of people, and I can get on this ground and people help me and people will cooperate with me, and the people that don't even know me know of me, and with happens. I get telephone calls and for I don't use any computer communication of any sort or whatever really anymore, and I just don't. I just don't get involved with that. I just use regular old telephones and business cards. And I'm really surprised that the number of people that do get a hold of me. And a lot of people, well, there's two things. A lot of people I want to know if they've got something going on in their property and think, man, there's something scrange out here, and they call me and I go out and I try to look inside what I think from what I can see, if they have got something that strange on their property. And then there's people that don't really want you on the property, but they've been scared of something. They say something's not right in the woods, so I try to help them. Then it's because maybe the biggest thing, if they've seen something or had something going on, they're afraid to say it, to tell anybody. I've had guys that wouldn't even tell their wives that they've seen something. But if they call me time, they call me they know that. Like we already said, I'm not going to be giving up their name or where they live, or their property or what they've seen so they can be identified. And between those two things, I think that makes a lot of difference. But down southern Illinois, you've got an awful lot of an awful lot of ground, but it's in the Shawnee. It's botty. You have to be careful. But that's the thing. I respect everybody's ground, everybody's property, and if I'm with people, I expect them and I do one people, I say, don't cross those senses and bother anything. Take care of this place just like it you want it. And if they do that, we're fine. But I have hal had and people get in trouble because they just don't think they have to worry about getting on anybody else's property. But anyway, that's a big difference between between north and south available property over the years.
Speaker 1: Did you ever do any research up in Iowa? Just curious.
Speaker 2: I've been to Iowa a couple of times. I had a friend that I can't even think where he is now, but I haven't been there for years now, and I've gone up there to a couple of park areas. I'd have to get out the map and see it and into some old notes to see where I even was now. But I have cast one or two prints in Iowa in one of the park I remember that. But one of the guys that I used to go up with, he was kind of, everything's a big foot, sure, and I don't. I'm my Actually the other way. There may be something there, but it probably not a big foot. There's a lot of animals in the woods of all sizes and shape. And of course I hunt and foot and a hut and ski and about any outdoor sport you can do. And so I'll be seventy seven in a couple of months. I felt my life doing all that kind of stuff, tiled hunting and just about everything. So I've been in the woods a lot and seen a lot and people, a lot of people in some of the bigfoot organizations. So if you're if you're a hunter or you look like a hunter in the woods, you're not going to see anything because you're going to scare it all off. And I tell them, if you're a hunter or a real outdoors money, you know what's in the outdoors, and you don't jump in every single thing and say it's a big foot and that's that. That is a difference. And you know what you're what, you're looking at, what's around. It's the things that you don't know that you can't figure out that really spook you. That thing. I watched it forty feet away from me in the middle of life. That kind of spoofed me.
Speaker 1: If you ever get the chance to look through your notes and you happen to find where you cast those tracks at in the wherever it was in Iowa, I'd be curious to know. I'm from just outside of central Iowa myself to the west, so trying to find all the historical info about what's happened in the state.
Speaker 2: But I think I was more more northern. It's marked on it's at least marked on a map or something somewhere. And I used to a lot of times keep a notebook for almost every trip. I took like a three leaf book. And that's when I was making those trips. I had, I was sick, I had I went through a period where I had bad pancreage infections, and I had I had three times three types of cancer. Oh wow, And so I've been really lucky and the knock on what I need to go in for another cancer test here real soon, and I hate to do it, sure because I don't want to find anymore. But yeah, that was I was. I remember the last time I went to Iowa. I was sick. But I'm pretty sure I know I was with north of Cedar Rapids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the really squatchy area up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, when you get up in there. I was Martha there and maybe I was a little bit west of there, but yeah, if I run across it, I'll do that. Now. I have got one of these days I need to get with you. I've got another story that I don't talk about. It happened before this one I was talking about tonight. It more or less gets you into paranormal bigfoot sure, which being a scientist, I've always tried to stay away from that. But what I've learned is overall the years to say, you really can't stay away from it. I don't pay that much attention to a lot of the really strange things. But when I was with the bf R O see BFRO has a special file. If somebody mentions in their bigfoot story get into a paranormal type things or says where they got out of a spaceship or something weird. We've got a file, but we just put them in so there's there should be all saved, but it's full of really weird stuff. And I gave you a name one day we were talking, Carter Burchard. Did you ever get a hold of him?
Speaker 1: He's on the list of people I know. He's got multiple books that are supposed to be very good reads. But he is yeah to talk to yeah, and.
Speaker 2: He's writing another one right now. And he started BFRO. I was already with him for a while, but he started with him, and he was one of the guys that would come up here to Illinois and do some things. And we haven't been together for a little bit, but he's had so much I don't know what to call it. Paranormal. I've just called for so much stuff that he's that's where he started spending time. Instead of just throwing him out, he tried to going more and more into this stuff, and that's where all his books have pretty much come from. I guess the book that he's finishing up right now, it's basically about habituations, but the others, and actually the others he wrote three books, but he wrote but one of them that he wrote, he went back into it and added a bunch of stuff. So there's a new volume under the same book. But yeah, he lives all by Kansas City, and you get ahold of get a hold of him a tongue where he got his name, and he's he does a lot of he does a lot of podcasts and he's not, like you said, some good books and stuff. So now I got off of whatever I was talking about. Where was I?
Speaker 1: It feels like a few times during the interviews so far, it feels like there's something that you've experienced that you want to share, but you're very I don't know if I want to share it, but it feels like you want to share something.
Speaker 2: That other story that I just mentioned that happened down in Mina, Arkansas, and ten days before that one I talked about. But I don't know how long it would really take for me to tell that story. I've only really told it once, and it's at least it'll be seventeen years ago too. You have only told it once and I put it you say you found this story on Facebook. It's on Facebook also, and I told it even a couple of my friends. I said, I'm having trouble leaving that story. I said, that's why I never told you anybody were all these years because strange. And I don't know if you want to do it another time.
Speaker 1: Or it's up to you. But I do have the time now and it might be one of the things where we're both on the same call now and if you've got a few minutes, but up to you. I want to respect your time, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even know what time is. It's nine thirty, is it okay?
Speaker 1: About nine thirty?
Speaker 2: And you usually run the ten, don't you.
Speaker 1: Give or take? But I would love to be able to have you share your story. If you're cool with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's try it. Like I said, it's even with some of my friends. It may just have trouble with it. But we're getting into the paranormal stuff here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no judgment here, Harold. So you feel with telling it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I love like a couple of big too, a guy making fun of flying saucers or anything. Nothing worse and big for a guy making fun of each other. This was I think it was of Mina and of course act just the hopskiff and a jump from where I was in Oklahoma. I started out at Mina, me and some other people and the stranger's dog. One deal. Didn't really have any plan or whatever. But one of the guys were in Walmart and most of us were just sitting in the parking lot. And one of the guys went in to get something in Walmart at Mina and ran into this gal there was talking Bigfoot. So we got hooked up with her. And she had a little bitty place down I think it had to be south, tucked back in there at the base of the mountain, and she said she even had there was an old school bus in the woods, and the Bigfoot a lot of the time stayed in the school bus for show in the winter.
Speaker 1: That's okay, big for SOCIETYHO would be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: Anyway, This one night, men and a guy from Kentucky and a woman from north then northwest of Kansas City. He had a van, and we're all old. They're both older than me. I was about sixty then, and we went down by her place back in the woods, and this was the darkest place I think I ever saw, or whatever was at and maybe it wasn't that dark, it was close to it. This place was dark. So we went down the road, passed her place, and we pulled off and took the van, took it back in a little bit, and then me and other the older guy, we got out, and she says, I don't really feel good about getting out here. I think, oh, lock the doors of the van here, and I'll stay in the van and wait for you guys. And so that's what we did, me and him. We walked back down the road the direction we'd come from, somewhere between that a quarter and a half. We went too far down, but we walked down and we were in this gavel inviters down. We were in her driveway and the man, it was dark, and we weren't there too long, and this horrendous stream come from the mountains just off the road to our belbow. It would have still been to our south, and it wasn't too far away, but it was so loud and so scary. I've still never heard anything like it in the woods or whatever. This was an awful screen. We both we backed up maybe twenty feet into her driveway to get away. Because you seen boy something was going to pop out of the woods and it was going to be awful. So we stood there as long as we could. And I'm looking down the road back towards the van and I can I'm far and afway, I can't see the van, and it's dark. I see this great, big white thing across the ditch, come out of the woods on the mountain side. And he gets in the road and he starts walking towards us. Like I said, we're a little bit back off of it, though, And I tell this this other friend mine uses. His name was war. I don't even know. I don't think he's alive anymore. I said, hey, that's going to almost run into us. It's coming straight at us. And he says, what I said. It's big and white and it looks like a big foot to me. And he says, I don't see nothing. He said, you're imagining. And I said, arty, it's coming right at us. And this was scary from my point of view. I'm watching this and what do we do? So we backed up a little bit more and before it got to us. I'm in a way about this thing coming at us. Before it got to us, it turned jumped back across the ditch and started walking up the mountain and I say, oh man, and he still didn't see it. He finally convinced me that I was half crazy and that there was nothing there. But back then I still had pretty good eyesight and pretty good hearing, and he was. He was blinding so bad, and death too, So I don't know. Anyway, we stayed down there quite a while, and we finally walked back to the van, and every where really gets crazy. I was excited about seeing this thing, and I tell the gualve been sitting in this van, start to tell her about what I saw, and she jumps in. She says, I gotta tell you. I gotta tell you what I saw. He said. I'm sitting here in the van, in the back seat, and all of a sudden, its white bigfoot materialized or appeared, setting in the front seat. It was setting there, and I said, look out the window, and there was a little bitty one and it's white also, and it's running around outside of the vans. And here's where you think about the whole thing. It really gets funny. I hadn't told her my story about I saw a white one down there. I saw big white one too. Anyway, we started making fun of her, but he made foot guys making fun of each other, and she got upset, really got upset, and we quit and I forgot about it. This guy was good, and she's straight. She wasn't drinking, she wasn't on drugs. But she saw this thing materialized right in front of her and sat there for a while, kind of looked at her, and then it just disappeared. And I wasn't making fun of her, wasn't really heavy about it. And so she's a real nice gal and I like her, and we were actually sitting there making fun of each other and what we saw. And then there was a couple other guys around and they heard about what I saw this and that the other night, and I did, and I denied it. I didn't rest of the time I was around anybody. I said, now, if I had seen that, I just well, Walt says, I'm just seeing something else. And these guys I was telling them this too. They said, if you say you saw something, and Walt said, you didn't, we'll leave you for the big walk because we think you could have. Well, like I said, I was still a little bit younger, still could see and still could hear anyway. Bluffed at that, and I just more or less denied it. It was probably a couple of months before I was setting down one day and I just happened to think I saw why when coming down the road she saw why wouldn't materialize in the van. I wonder what's going on here? And like I said, I thought about it. It was sixteen seventeen years I thought about it, and it's one of those twenty five stories that I put on Facebook. And it's just when I just I just forget about it because Walt told me I didn't see anything, and I don't know. I don't know the fact that what she saw was white and what I was seeing was white. Now I did not see a small and a baby or whatever, kydler or whatever you want to call it, But I don't know. Never mind, that's got to be one of the weirdest bigfoot stories you ever heard.
Speaker 1: It's up there, Harold, and it's awesome. So the way I think that is, I have my personally, but we haven't proven what it can do or what exactly it is yet. And end of the day, your friend saw a white bigfoot materialize inside that vehicle and that's wild and I don't know how you can explain that away, right.
Speaker 2: No, she's not like I said, She's not crazy at all or anything. And I haven't seen her for quite a while. Far as I know, she's still alive. See she does put some stuff on Facebook now and then see why I don't talk about it. Sure you know too much. It's but that's an example of three big foot people making fun each other, which is funny in as well.
Speaker 1: But sure, is this something where you're and I know you said it's south of Mina, Arkansas, just because it's interesting when listeners hear something and then maybe someone else has experienced something to do with the white Bigfoot materializing in that same area. Are there any other things you can say about the mountain or do we have to keep it very vague as to its somewhere self?
Speaker 2: That's one of those things. I would have to sure do some research on it too. I hear you to find exactly she's not too far off one of the main highway down there, and I think you's south Amina, I'm pretty sure that. But I talked to her. She had a son, to a teenage son, and I talked to him about what was going on with her with the bigfoot that she said stayed in the school bus and he says, yeah, they do. And he says, I guess they'd also been feeding them and they would come along and they hit the house and hard methods that would knock stuff off the walls and things one food and so she's had a problem around there. But most of the people out with were associated with with the BFR BFRO, and she hated the BFRO. And that's it was just a strange deal that we that she ended up inviting us over there to take a look. I guess that's when you get people that will listen to you and believe you. It doesn't make a lot of difference. That's one of the neatest things we do is as investigators, do everything we can to believe people. Now, those are the two best stories I've got and and like I said, that last one I just haven't told heck the lost Maybe I can figure out where that is so I could come real close. I'm not sure what they call those mountains, if those are the I was thinking of White mountains, but I don't know. But yeah, that story there. I so it tookly fifteen years to even think about tell at all, and it didn't lose me any friends or whatever, but they maybe shut their brief in me a little bit. But anyway, that's some kind of junk that my friend Carter is in two of those first three books, some things, and he comes over here. There are some spots down around Jonesboro and the Trailer Tears Park that that we've hit a few times. And there's there's one spot down there south for the Trailer Teers Park area, and the locals down there say they won't go into it after dark, and we haven't been into it too much, but when we've been in if there's something strange happening there. But again, you don't know. I didn't used to be afraid going into to the woods or by myself, and that's usually how I do. I go by myself and in the dark. I didn't used to be but I've seen some things over the last few years, and I really is someplace I really don't want to I don't feel good about going into, like I said, basically, by myself. I don't know that David Bledis is books, for one one make you think once in a while, and I imagine you've probably read them, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you definitely want to be cautious and aware, especially if you're going in the woods by yourself and let people know where you're going and all that good stuff that you know. But it sounds like you saw some weird stuff and that that made you think twice about going into the woods.
Speaker 2: That sometimes, Yeah, And I've had that even around here. Some spots that I've been to an awful lot. One of them Gift, a few miles from here. I went down one night and I couldn't make myself get out of the car. I couldn't get out at all, and I said in the car or they were probably twenty minutes and I finally left, and it spook me that was it just all in my mind? Or was there's something telling me not to get out? And I've been down to the same spot And the one time I remember and got out of my car and did a wooden knock and got a wood knock. I'm on an old road that end of that dead end, I had a bridge that's been torn out, and I got out of my car, did some wood knocks and got answers right there almost in top of me. And I waited awhile and did some more knocks, and I got more answers, maybe two or three times further away, and I said, wow. And I'm down here by myself, so I don't know. Like I said, I didn't used to be afraid at all. My dad was. He was, of course, a World War Two veteran, and I didn't dare tell him if I got scared in the woods or at dark walking home or whatever, because he let me know is there's nothing in that woods that can hurt you. And he was wrong. Yeah, but yeah he is something else. What else you got.
Speaker 1: For me, Harold, It's been a fantastic conversation, and I just want to I just want to thank you for coming on sharing your stories. I know some of them you haven't really shared before, and I appreciate you being able to share them. I hope that someday you're able to get your book written. I'd love to get a copy of it, and I'm sure my listeners would as well. But it's just been a great time chatting with you, Harold.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's good.
Speaker 1: Just want to take a few minutes to say thank you to you Allmad listeners for listening to the podcast. Just want to take a few minutes to say thank you to you Allmad listeners for listening to the podcast. Please take a minute to help out the show by subscribing on YouTube, making sure you hit the bell so you don't miss any notifications, and share the episode on YouTube with a friend. Also, if you're listening to us on a podcast, thank you so much, make sure that you're subscribed share the show with a friend. Really, it's all about sharing the show wherever you can. If you've had a Bigfoot encounter related to the following or know someone who has, please reach out to me at Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com or pass on my email. Here's the list. Number one encounters from Franklin County, Texas. Number two encounters from the entire state of Iowa. Number three encounters from Oakridge, Oregon or the surrounding area. Number four any individuals that know about Bigfoot being flown off after the Mount Saint Helens eruption. Number five. Individuals that have had a bigfoot encounter well in the military. Number six. Those that have had a Bigfoot encounter in the southern New Hampshire or north central Massachusetts area, including Franklin County, Massachusetts. Number seven individuals that have had a bigfoot encounter in a Bible camp or boy Scout camp setting. Number eight individuals that have had bigfoot try to enter their house forcibly while they were living inside. Number nine individuals that actively have a bigfoot living on their property. And lastly, any sightings that are in the watchitat National Forest Area of Oklahoma or Arkansas. A special thank you to all the Bigfoot Society Patreon and YouTube channel members. It's your support that helps keep the show going and I extremely appreciate it. I'll see you back next time. Listeners. SASA Summerfest this year July eleventh through the twelfth. It's going to be fantastic. July eleventh through twelfth in Greenwaters Park and Oakridge, ore Again and listeners, if you're going to go, you can get a two day ticket for the cost of one if you use the code b FS like Bigfoot Society, but BFS it'll get used some off your cost. Priscilla was nice enough to provide that for my listeners.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: I look forward to seeing you there, so make sure you head over to www dot Sasquatch summerfest dot com and pick up your tickets today