Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, and let's get it started. Let's get another week started. Another Monday. Here it is Kentucky and his morning news with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas Scott fitshared alongside. We've got John Alden back in the saddle with us, and of course John Shannon alongside. That means the crews here and we're ready to Uh, let's let's have a week, fellas.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Let's get off to a good start.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought the weekend overall. I mean I felt as if we were wrapping up Sunday. And now my Sundays wrap up pretty early because I'm I'm learning from you, Scott. I'm getting ready for the week a lot earlier than others do on a typical Sunday, just because our dates started a little bit earlier. But things were going really well. I think the rain, Mother Nature, she was good to us. There was some storms on Saturday, but I feel like it was brief and there were certain areas where I don't really think they got anything as far as any any bad rain. And then I thought it was gonna come Sunday, and then sure enough there was some rain later on yesterday, some storms last night around where we are, but nothing nothing crazy, but too awful. Stories to wrap up the weekend, starting with what took place in Lexington. I mean, it's no other way to say it other than just a tragedy.
Speaker 2: As there was a.
Speaker 1: Quiet shirt service that turned into essentially a deadly deadly scene where two people were killed and there was a law enforcement officer that also was shot, and that took place at the Richmond Road Baptist Church in Lexington. But it all started at eleven thirty yesterday in Lexington, where a Kentucky State trooper was shot after pulling over a suspect near the Bluegrass Airport and the suspect opened fire during that traffic stop, and then following the shooting, he ended up carjacking somebody and thankfully no injuries happened during that incident. But after committing a carjacking, he then went to this church and shot two people. It sounds as if there may be a connection between this suspect and that church, but they weren't necessarily commenting yesterday, so just again, not only a tragic story all the way around. I mean, it's the kind of thing that will of course make national news. The things that I used to reference what is in the news to kind of get this day started. This is one of the big stories. So just a sad situation all the way around. And then what ended up being I suppose just of I don't know if it's if it was a hoax, if it was just somebody thought they saw something that they didn't, but a really unfortunate way to wrap up the basketball tournament that took place over the weekend at the Fairgrounds, which I don't know people realize this, but the run for the Roses basketball tournament. It's a girl's AAU basketball tournament that takes place in Louisville. I believe this is the second time they've had it here. But just to give you some perspective on how many people come to town for this. When there was the I guess false report of an active shooter an active aggressor, I think it was both that were reported, one at the basketball tournament, the other at Kentucky Kingdom, it ended up being nothing happened. They didn't find any they didn't arrest anybody, they didn't they didn't find any weapon, they didn't get any confirmation that's someone was actually that had a weapon. But forty thousand people were in the Kentucky exphysitions in the Exposition Center having to evacuate with people, you know, thinking there's somebody there with the gun. So again, it's good that that didn't happen, but I mean, it's just it's certainly, certainly that's what people are going to think of when they think of that tournament they came to in Louisville, that of course was I mean, hopefully the city was a good experience all the way around, but there's no doubt this is going to be what sticks with them. So again, overall, not a great day for us here in Kentucky yesterday.
Speaker 3: No, it's sad when you see that, and I saw those reports, I saw the mayor statement. It was the first I saw that, and the mayor was quick to grab on to that, And to your point, Nick, it's just sad that that that's what we have to deal with now and that's where we're at, and of course everything surrounding the tragic story in Lexington, and it just shows you how valuable life is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I hate it. This has become so routine for me, but it's just it's it's just I guess being hones for whatever that's worth. I hate when these kind of stories happen, and I no longer have really that much shock value. I think when it hits close to home, meeting in here in Kentucky, obviously that that that's a little bit more of it's going to hit your radar for a little bit longer amount of time, just because you feel some level of like, wow, that's not far from me that have that. It's crazy that stuff happens in general, but man, to have it happen not far from where you are and in your home state, it's it's one that you'll remember more. But like, unfortunately, somebody going I mean again we don't know the name of the of the suspect yet. It sounds like they're going to release that probably today, but somebody going and shooting up a church and and maybe it was suicide by cop, not sure, but two people dead and one of the officers is of course recovering from the shooting. And again that that used to be something that was like how could this happen? Which which is still I think a justified response from a lot of people, but I just no longer have a whole lot of surprise because it happened in once as a tragic situation, but these are things that just clearly happened. I mean, one time is too many. But it's not a rarity as much as it as it used to be.
Speaker 3: It seems like, I'm glad you said that because I saw what I was scrolling through. Sad part is I just read the headlining kept scrolling. Yes, yeah, and I'll admit it I did. It's I hate being that way.
Speaker 1: It's human nature because again, when something is no is not such a rarity, and you know it no longer gives you that same level of wow and just just sad all the way around. But of course we'll keep you updated on both those stories. I'm curious to see what we end up finding out, if anything else, as far as what led to the threat yesterday, because again it sounds like it was it was nothing, which again that's good, but certainly a lot of resources utilized yesterday from law enforcement and a lot of fear from people that were there, not knowing where to go and what was going on, because again the officers are doing what they're supposed to do, but just an unfortunate situation all the way around. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Matvelosavistion will give us the forecast. All so we'll take a look at what's going on on the roadways here as we get the five am hour started, and we'll keep this thing rolling along. Happy Monday, Kentucky, And it's Kentucky and His Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty Whas that's right, it sure is Monday. It is five seventeen here on a Monday morning, Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company. We'll have a sports update coming up here at five twenty five with Scott Fitzgerald and also we will have John Shannon's first newscast coming up at five thirty and then Rory O'Neil set to join us at five forty five. And with Rory, we got to talk about Trump and the MAGA base, because I wouldn't be foolish enough to claim that he's he's losing he's losing support, because I mean, there are many people who've just decided to make Donald Trump their personality. That's what they that's just how they identify and look that's okay, live your life, do you. I don't say that passing any judgment, but there are clearly some that I think are are critical of him. Maybe I say, for the first time ever, that's impossible for me to know for certain. However, the handling of the Jeffrey Epstein investigation and also maybe the spending cuts, those are things that at least some are expressing that they may be underwhelmed. But Rory will give us the latest as far as you know, at least checking the pulse. There's no way to know how everyone actually feels. But I did have a moment over the weekend where in these moments have happened many times over a stretch of really I guess probably about ten years now roughly, and it's just this can't be real, right, But then you realize, yeah, that's where we are. But on Saturday, when I was finishing up my son at a basketball game, it was early in the morning, I had some aer inst run. Then I had my nephew's birthday parties. So I'm just kind of, you know, I'm busy, which was good. I'm staying busy on a Saturday morning and hadn't really been checking in on what was going on as far as news, and then I see that the attention of of our president was on, uh, the citizenship of one Rosie O'Donnell. And I mean, clearly that's a public few that we've known about for quite some time, Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnell. But I mean, just to see that that it again, It'd be foolish of me to claim that was like the main priority as far as the president of this country, But clearly it was a big enough priority for him to want it out there for everybody in the world to know that he's he's basically threatening to strip Rosie o'donnald's US citizenship. And this is in no way to defend anything about Rosie o'dnnell. It's just it's I mean, I don't know, like one thing about Trump that that continues to fascinate me is it wouldn't be it wouldn't be fair to say lack of awareness. But I guess if somebody did say that, I wouldn't really challenge them. It's just that the punched it don't punch down right like Trump doesn't really seem to have any I think it's two things he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he doesn't have the ability to just ignore something, but like he's something. There are times when where I feel like our president is like somebody that's a celebrity with a billion followers that is getting into the weeds with trolls, right and just in engaging them. And I'm not necessarily saying that's what Rosie O'donnald is, but I mean, she's obviously made it clear how she feels about things, and I'm not sure how many people really care what she thinks. I mean, no offense to her, she's in outed her opinion, but I don't know many people who are out here thinking, you know, that's who we need to listen to. That's somebody who's got it all together. I mean, she's not even in our country anymore. But she clearly gets enough attention from Trump to where he wants it to be known that he's considering removing her citizenship. So on Saturday, he floated the idea of provoking her citizenship quote because of the fact that Rosio Donald's not in the best interest of our great country, I'm giving serious consideration to taking away her citizenship. She is the threat to humanity and should remain in the wonderful country of Ireland if they want her. God bless America.
Speaker 2: Just is that real?
Speaker 1: Like I think of Rosie o'donnald, I think of when I was a kid in the early nineties.
Speaker 2: What was that movie?
Speaker 1: She was in the Baseball movie? She in a legal of their owner and I dreamed that. Anyways, there's one of the many stories from over the weekend we'll be reacting to this morning. Let's get a quick break. We'll come back and get to the first sports update from Scott Fitzgerald, but first let's get to another update on traffic and weather. Right here. It's Kentucky, Ana. It's Morning News with Coffee and Company on news radio a forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whas, Nick Coffee. That's me John all on alongside today. So the run for the Roses Tournament will resume today. And that is it's the largest girls basketball tournament in the world. I don't know if that is the case, but that's what it is. That's how they market it and brand it. And when you consider forty thousand people being at the Exposition Center yesterday here in Louisville. Unfortunately, for a real scare, that could be life changing for a lot of people. I don't say that to exaggerate or to be dramatic, but if you are doing something that you probably consider something you enjoy watching or watching basketball at a tournament where you maybe have family playing, maybe your child, your grandchild, or maybe you're coaching, or maybe you're playing anybody anybody there to then see panic because there's been a report of an active shooter or an active aggressor. I mean that can that can be a feeling of fear and hopelessness that that will stick with you forever. So you know, it's it's unfortunate, but again it is a big, big event, and I hate this that it's a good thing that overall there was nobody that was injured, meaning it was I mean, I don't want to say it was a false alarm or if it was a hoax, I don't know. Maybe we'll find out as far as what led to the response being what it is. And I'm in no way being critical because you can't take any of that lightly this day and age, and it sounds as if, according to Mayor Greenberg, that those that were there ready to to take action and do whatever is needed. From the law enforcement side, they did their part, and also those that were there as part of the staff at the Kentucky Exposition Center. So are the fairgrounds, I should say. But nonetheless, again it's good news that nothing happened and nobody was hurt. But I just I hate knowing. And this is going to sound silly because at the end of the day, when you consider what happened in Lexington, I mean this is considered great news that despite the fear and knowing that those kind of things do happen, because look, what just happened in your own state at the same time or the same day, nearly the same time. But Louisville bringing in this many people for this event and having this probably be what they take from it, at least maybe the first thing that comes to mind for them, and maybe that won't be you never know, but if certain, if in fact, you do hear from people that claim, yeah, when I think of the trip to Louisville for this big event, the city was awesome, and then you know that happened, and hopefully they won't hold that against this, Hopefully they won't just think that that type of action represents Louisville or anything like that. But you really, you know, you really, you can't control it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a bummer because I hope that those that were here don't think negatively of this city. But if they do, I mean, I can't say that I would be I'd be surprised. So when you look at just the overall, and I don't know how, I don't know if there's any way to know this for certain, but when it comes to just the amount of money that can be brought in by that many people here in this city, I'll give you an example. I had somebody, one of my friends, coming in town to visit family. He doesn't live here anymore, and he was just telling me how impossible it was to get a decent hotel really kind of anywhere in Louisville that wasn't charge, you know, the price wasn't wasn't jacked up. And part of it is because of this they knew there were this many people coming to town. I mean, I went also Friday, I was out on an errands and I made it out to the outlet shops there in Shelby County, And I tell you what I mean, I feel like every store I went into and everywhere I looked, there were groups of fifteen to twenty people that were with a certain AAU basketball club that we're here because of this. So I mean there were a lot of people in the city, and by all accounts, I mean, everything went smoothly other than just whatever led to somebody alerting authorities that there was an active aggressor. It started at the basketball tournament, and then of course there was the same same thing alleged essentially at Kentucky Kingdom. They later found out that it was a false alarm, and again sounds like everybody handled it as best you can. But I felt like this was in fact over the weekend, I was thinking, you know what, this is gonna be something I enjoy really talking about because I'm not sure if enough people realize how awesome it is that we have this event. Again. This is a tournament that is one of the biggest in the world. In fact, they say it's the biggest girls basketball tournament in the world. So it will resume today, which is good. But there are some there are some teams that have decided not to continue, and I don't know if that's because of the threat or if because maybe the schedule, of course has been altered due to them having to shut things down early yesterday. Maybe from a schedule standpoint, that's also a factor. But it is going to resume Monday, but there'll be some teams that won't be there, so it's a bummer and I hope they don't hold it against us, but again I don't. I mean, I don't who to blame if somebody, if somebody in fact was just pulling a prank. I mean, you would hope that we'd be able to find out who that is and they can be held accountable. I'm not saying that's what happened or not. But it's also one of those things that can you be surprised if if you have to take I mean, you can't take any you can never take anything lightly when it comes to somebody reporting that they may think there's an active aggressor or whatnot. And it's always good news that whenever you have that moment of fear, then you realize that's not the case. But you've got to wonder, Okay, could could this have been avoidable and it's you know, we'll never know. But again it resumes today and hopefully they finished strong. All right, let's get to a quick update on traffic and weather. Mett Melosavitch will give us the latest on the forecast, and we'll see what's going on out here, and they can Kentucky Ana Roads as we get the morning started from Bobby Ellis and then Rory O'Neil. He'll join us at five forty five, and I'm curious to get his thoughts as far as the Trump supporters maybe being a little not underwhelmed, but maybe just expecting more from the Epstein investigation and maybe expecting more when it comes to spending cuts. But we'll talk to Rory on the other side of Kentucky. And it's Morning News right here on News Radio eight forty whas it is Kentucky and is Morning News with Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 1: Let's bring him in. He's Roy O'Neil of NBC News. Rory, it'd be foolish of me to say that that President Trump is losing support, because there are some that again they my comments, nobody else I think they make Trump their whole personality, which, again, it's a free country, they can certainly do that. But it does seem as if there are at least some out there that are not afraid to express that they've been a little bit, a little bit displeased maybe with how he's handled a couple of things recently, including the Epstein investigation, maybe the maybe the amount of spending cuts that's taking place up to this point. What can you tell us as far as maybe the temperature for those that, of course are supporters of Trump and identify in the MAGA crowd.
Speaker 2: Well, look, they are still on the Trump train, right. But we heard a lot of this from the MAGA wing at the Turning Point USA conference that took place this weekend in Tampa. Many of them the young students, the college students, the early voters, I guess in their careers. But the look, they're not happy with the decision to shut down the Epstein investigation. They're not happy with some of the carve outs in the immigration reform by letting people who maybe in the country illegally continue to work for agriculture or hospitality industries. They don't like the fact that even last night the President said they're going to start sending more weapons to Ukraine, or that the Big Beautiful Bill has three trillion dollars in new debt. They thought, wait, I thought we'd get spending cuts. So look, while they're still on board with President Trump, are saying, hey, you know what this is, we were promised something else.
Speaker 1: And also when you look at the Epstein situation, to to insinuate that maybe they were created by Barack Obama and then say that nobody nobody cares about the Epstein files, it seemed as if that one meeting saying nobody cares it was a real sign of him maybe not really being able to read the room a little bit. Maybe there are some people that don't care, and maybe there are some people that now don't care because he said that. But it seems to me it just from my perspective, it seemed as if maybe that was one of the one of the recent times where he said something and maybe he didn't quite get that that maybe he was maybe he didn't have the field that he thought he did.
Speaker 2: Well. We also saw in that truth Social post, right, this is what's going out with my boys and in some cases gals, I mean so it's even even the president is hearing from his own supporters saying that they don't like this, you know, because there's been there's been this outcry that you know, Pam Bondi should be fired or whatever it may be, that which seems unlikely, or that Dan Bonginou number two minute, the FBI might resign because of what the administration decided to do with the Epstein investigation. So even President Trump is acknowledging that there are some rumblings underneath. And by the way, let's be clear, the liberal media they are all in on this, right all the first time they've seen fractures, so they're going to really shine a spotlight on some of these disagreements within the party. I mean, this stuff happens, you know, over time, by the way, with any political party, left or right. But it is interesting that they all seem to be coming together. And this is something we haven't really seen before with which what had been a very unified movement.
Speaker 1: That is that was my exact takeaway. And it certainly seems as if the left, it's like there's sharks in the water thinking, wait a second, there's going to be some that are going to be maybe critical even a little bit about what he does and what he decides to do. So I had the same observation. Royan Neil, NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas we have at least one airline that is now planning to turn ticket pricing over to AI by the end of twenty twenty five. I don't know if that would be good for those that work in the airline industry in that in that capacity, but obviously when it comes to travelers, they want to know is this something that could be good or bad for them?
Speaker 2: Not good for the traveler, good for the airline's bottom line. Essentially. You know, Delta has launched this program. A few months ago. It was about one percent of their tickets were being priced by AI. By the end of the year, they want twenty percent of their tickets to be priced by AI. What AI can do is look at all of your history. It knows everything about you, right, so it can see what you bought things in the past with the airline, or you know, do you normally book far in advance or is it a short timeframe. What the AI can do is find out the maximum price you're willing to pay for a ticket and then price it at that, So gone are the chances of picking up a bargain. Instead, every time you try to buy a flight, it's going to try to maximize what they charge you for that flight.
Speaker 1: With airlines, the airline experience, at least in my opinion, it's a very helpless situation a lot of times. And if you can find a way to feel like you might have perfect timing, been able to save a few bucks on your ticket, you know, it's the little things that count to where you know you have. It's a helpless situation, but you're trying your best to you know, make the most of it. But now that they can rely on AI, it sounds like, yeah, the days of finding those cheap deals is gonna be much more difficult.
Speaker 2: Well, right now, every time we find a deal, suddenly there's a bag fee, a seat fee, of hot fee, fee fee fee, fee feeing.
Speaker 1: It's no deal anymore, no doubt about it. Rory has always thank you for the time, enjoyed the ester today. We'll talk soon, my friend Factic. All right, that's Rory and need of NBC News. Good stuff there. Yeah, when it comes to the airlines, there's nothing that I could be charged for throughout that entire experience that will shock me this day and age, Oh you wore close today, it's going to be a eighteen dollars Yeah, fabric fee. I mean, the fees are endless. All right, Let's get an update on traffick and weather from my Melosovich with the weather, Bobby Ellis will give us the latest on traffic so this morning in Kentucky, Ana. And then we've got another update on sports coming with Scott right here on News Radio eight forty whas