Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. In a moment, we're going to bring you this week's episode of Dragonet. But first I want to encourage you. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software. And today's program is brought you in part by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show on a one time basis by mailing a donation to Adam Graham Pielbox one five nine one three. That's Pilbox one five nine thirteen, Boise, Idaho eight three seven one five, and you can also become one of dollars four as little as two dollars per month at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. Now here. From May the first, nineteen fifty two is the Big Safe.
Speaker 2: The story you were about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned to burglary detail for more than two months. A wave of safe burglaries. Apparently it's the work professionals. A job's are well planned, well executed. There's no leed to the whereabouts of the suspects. Your job get them.
Speaker 3: Dragnet the documented drama of an actual crime. Well the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribed from official police violence, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 4: It was Sunday, June eighth, was warm in Los Angeles. We're working the day watch out a Burglery Division safe detail. My partner's Bill Lockwood. The bosses Captain Wisdom. My name is Friday. I was on the way back to the office and it was eight thirty six am.
Speaker 5: When I got to Room forty five.
Speaker 6: Burglery Division.
Speaker 5: There's nothing a book for us, my captain, about your partner Lockwood? Yeah, what's that? I got to make that sick report on him yesterday? Did you call him? I talked to him on the phone last night.
Speaker 4: Pretty bad ankle spring doctor figures would be out for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Anyway. Who's a fellow you got there?
Speaker 7: Suspect Jones of McCready picked up on Steakcout drugstore third in Ventura.
Speaker 5: What do you got on? Creedy says.
Speaker 7: They picked him up about quarter to five this morning, and Jones were staked out inside the drug store. So this fellow drive up in the car, get out and try the front door of the place.
Speaker 5: Hu and he went around and backed the.
Speaker 7: Place, tried the back door, and he came around in front again, tried to jimmy the door. Finally gave up, gott in his car and started to drive off. Jones of McCready followed him, picked him up and brought him in.
Speaker 5: Where's Jones mcreadie? Now you know I told him to go ahead home. No reason for him to hang around. We carried the thing from here. What have you done so far? You check him through our and I yeah, called Frank cunning game.
Speaker 7: He's doing it now Floyd and address of two thirty nine West ninety second Street.
Speaker 5: That's what he tells us. Anyway. Is that your name? Fellaw?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's my name. Saw my identification. No reason for me to.
Speaker 5: Like and check me out. Hold your hand up there. We get these cuffs off, all right?
Speaker 7: There you are, thanks, you're tired sitting in her handcuffs sitting in one place, Frank.
Speaker 4: You want to tell Gaffey will be down the interrogation room when and I calls back, tell him.
Speaker 5: The transferred in there, would you? Yeah, okay, I'll meet you then. All right, thanks, all right, boy, let's go. I talk to you down the hall. You know, let's get this thing over with.
Speaker 7: I don't feel good. I want to get out of here.
Speaker 5: What you're shaking for is make me get nervous about it? He was sick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I haven't been feeling good at all last couple of days, wouldn't you know?
Speaker 5: And I smoked?
Speaker 7: He said, well, Jim to have a cigarette? Three?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, thanks, there's a lighte for you. Yeah, god, thanks, all right, turn around a minute. Will you let me look at your eyes? Huh? Turn around? All right, let's go. It's okay. Oh. I tell Gafne you put through the cult mar Oh, that's fun.
Speaker 7: You sure this won't take long? And I like to get out of here and get home. I've been sick for a week. I'll to be in bed right now.
Speaker 5: We'll make it as fast as we can. All right, in here, have a chairboard?
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, mister, you say you're not feeling well, you're tired, you want to go home.
Speaker 5: So are we We've been working all night. How about getting the bottom of this thing?
Speaker 7: Sure, I'm all for it. Try to explain to the guys have picked me up. I don't know what it's all about. Ask me anything you want.
Speaker 5: Now, let's start it here.
Speaker 7: Boy, what were you doing out there hanging around that drug store quarter to five this morning? It's the same thing, un total the other officers. I was sick and wanted to get something from my nerves jump as a cat, couldn't sleep, And then the.
Speaker 5: Drug store was closed. That was pretty obvious, wasn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right, it was. I just drove up there, tried the door, and I saw the joint was closed, so I left. That's all there is to it. Just why I totally other.
Speaker 4: No, it's not true, boy, and you know it isn't. You hung around the store for more than ten minutes. You tried the front door, then you waited a couple of minutes. You went around to the back, and you tried to get in back there. You couldn't make it, so you came around front again. You tried to jimmy the it didn't you.
Speaker 7: No, that's not it. You got it all wrong.
Speaker 5: How about this boy? This your crow bar? Yeah? What about it? Just a car too.
Speaker 7: You used to fix flat tires? Carry it around all the time.
Speaker 5: In the car. I carry it on you.
Speaker 7: Oh not all the time. I just happened to have it, that's all.
Speaker 5: Now. Look, boy, that's not going to get it.
Speaker 4: The officers have pitched you up. So you using this bar in the door of that drug store. I thought you were willing to get on the facts. You were going to square with us, how about it?
Speaker 7: Sure, sure, I'll square with you. I wanted to get over as much as you do. Just tell me what you want to know. All we want is the truth. It's a dress in your idea, the one you gave us. Is that your true address?
Speaker 5: You're living there? Now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right, check it out if you want. I'm not lying.
Speaker 5: No reason to line we.
Speaker 4: Think there is this address of yours. It's just about ten miles away from where you were picked up. Now you tell us how much sense it makes driving ten miles to a drug store four thirty in the morning.
Speaker 7: I had to I was sick. It was the only place over lying.
Speaker 4: And you know it, mister, you had to pass at least two all night drug stores on the way. Why couldn't you stop at one of those?
Speaker 7: I didn't see any stores open. I was sick. I just kept driving till I spied a place I thought it was open.
Speaker 5: Looked to me like it was open.
Speaker 7: A lot of lights in the window inside the store too. I didn't know it was close, So I tried the door.
Speaker 5: Usually tried doors with a crowbar.
Speaker 7: Boy, Look, look, what are you getting that? Do you think I was trying to break in that place?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what we think.
Speaker 7: Well, what for what I want to break in there? I wanted to get something from my nerves, that's all. I want to find a drug store? Why should I break the open a place? And did you just get a bottle of medicine?
Speaker 5: We don't think you were looking for medicine? Void?
Speaker 7: Well then, what was it? What are you figured?
Speaker 5: This is what we figure, mister.
Speaker 4: You're going in that store to burglarise the safe The area is the same, the time elements right, So there is the type of business.
Speaker 5: The m matches right down the line.
Speaker 7: I don't know what you're talking about. Six safe jobs in the last two I don't know what you're talking about. It's the truth. I'm not a burklar. You got me wrong. I never touched a safe in my life.
Speaker 4: How many times you've been arrested, mister, huh? How many times you've been arrested?
Speaker 7: Well, a couple of times have been picked up, nothing serious, though, so help me.
Speaker 5: It's the truth.
Speaker 7: I never touched it safe in my whole life.
Speaker 5: It's not going to do much good lining to his boy. We'll get everything we need from records.
Speaker 7: I've got a record. I ain't denying up, and I'm no Berkeley.
Speaker 4: And what were you doing a quarter of five this morning trying to get in that drug store if you're not a burgler.
Speaker 7: I tried to explain to you. I wasn't trying to break in. I needed some medicine, something for my nerves. I thought the place was open. I'm a sick man. I swear on a Bible off So that's just the way it was.
Speaker 5: I got it. Yeah, Friday talking. Oh yeah, Charles Boyd. Yeah, that's right, that's him. What do you got, uh huh? All the same? I see. Give me the last two or no, the last two arrests again? Yeah? May ninth, May twenty second, all right, Conningham, Yeah, thanks very much Frank, you got that folder there, those crime reports. Yeah, yeah, but he had said Boyd was in custody May ninth, May twenty second. What was he in narcotics? He's a user, long record, it's all the.
Speaker 4: Same though, never been picked up for anything but narcotics just about rose him.
Speaker 5: Not huh ninth and the twenty seconds in jail. He couldn't have had anything to do with those last day. Jee man, it's about the size of it.
Speaker 7: You guys straight now. I told you you thought I was lying, didn't John know Burke? You know what my record is. I never tested safe in my life.
Speaker 5: Just checking it out, Boyd. Sometimes it happens this way.
Speaker 7: Sure, I'm hard feeling, Take off now and go home. That's feeling well at all? I guess it's okay.
Speaker 5: No, you just sit still, Boyd. You're not going in. We mean red tab on your car down at the record Bureau.
Speaker 4: Your last arrest May twenty second, violation State in Narcotics Act.
Speaker 5: He went out on a fifteen hundred dollars bail.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: It was all legal. I paid for it.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you show up for your preliminary hearing? We got a bench warn't for your arrest.
Speaker 7: Oh no, that wouldn't do that to me, would I was sick and better it couldn't make it to court. You just look at me, you can tell, can't ye ought to be in bed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't look good at all.
Speaker 7: Of course i'd don't. I'm a sick man, really sick. I would be in a hospital.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe that's where they'll send you.
Speaker 4: We continued questioning the suspect, Charles Boyd, who finally admitted that he'd gone to the drug store early that morning for the purpose of burgerizing the place to obtain narcotics. He told us it was his first attempt at burglary, and further interrogation proved beyond a doubt.
Speaker 5: He had nothing to do with the current wave of safe burglaries.
Speaker 4: He was booked on the bench warrant and narcotics detail was notified of his arrests. For all practical purposes, we were back where we'd started from two months before, when the campaign of safe jobs first started.
Speaker 5: Boyd was just another in a long line.
Speaker 4: Of possible suspects who had to be tracked down and checked out. In the final analysis, they meant nothing to the case, but tracking.
Speaker 5: Them down and checking.
Speaker 4: Them out meant long hours of leg work, days even weeks, and then more hours spent interrogating them. Boyd typified the possible suspect. He added nothing, but he couldn't be ignored. In the weeks that followed, stakeouts continued in the general area where the safe burglaries had been operating. No further lead the investigation went on. On June seventeenth, Frank Smith and I drove out to the San Fernando.
Speaker 5: Valley to check a lead on a possible suspect.
Speaker 4: We'd gotten from one of our informs was that the possible suspect, an ex convict with the name of Mark Chandler who'd served time for burgery, had apparently come into.
Speaker 5: Some money recently through the parole office.
Speaker 4: We located Chandler on a chicken ranch just outside of Van Ive.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I've been out here almost three months now.
Speaker 7: Nice life, pretty hard work though, got a peer routine question is volume mark? Like we told you with from burglary detail, I guess you know why.
Speaker 5: We're out here. Yeah, I think I get the idea.
Speaker 7: I admit there was a time when you wouldn't be very welcome, but right now it's different. Anything I can do to help, it's all right, folks.
Speaker 5: We're gonna lay it right on the table for you. Mark, you all miss placed you? Yeah, that's right, Me and my brother. Where'd the money come from? My brother? He set the whole thing up. When you say you and your brother, who's money bought the place? Mark? Well, my brother made the down payment. You can check on it.
Speaker 7: The whole deal went through USCO right down here at the local bank. What's the deal anyway?
Speaker 5: Didn't you check with my proofster? Yeah, we checked with Galloway.
Speaker 7: He told us you was still unactive parole. You were running a chicken ranch. I didn't say it was for your brother though. Well, I thought I filled them in on it. I didn't have enough cash to swing the deal. My brother put up most of the day. I only had eight hundred buck Uh huh.
Speaker 5: That's your car back there in the driveway, Mark, No, that's my brother's nice one. Huh. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I got permission from the pro offster to drive. Say, would you mind walking back with me to the brewterer Shack. I got a new batch of Rhode.
Speaker 5: Islands in this morning day. Old Chick's got to be.
Speaker 7: Sure that he's right, Yeah right, there's a lot of work around.
Speaker 5: A place like this. I just built those pins there.
Speaker 7: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: They're nice, good looking flock of chicks there, wouldn't you say four weeks old? Those are bar rocks.
Speaker 7: And notice how they're starting to feather out, already getting nice and heavy.
Speaker 5: Make wonderful friars, you know, Oh that's all. Oh yeah, just oh you look at that mash rack. They like fens. I just still that thing an hour ago. That's where the money goes. You know, that mash goes for better than five bucks a sack.
Speaker 7: Look, we don't want to take too much of your time, Chandler. We can see your business. We've got a couple of dates.
Speaker 5: We'd like to check with you where you were, what you did?
Speaker 7: Oh sure, bro, Just let me check the temperature in the brewder house here.
Speaker 5: Won't take a minute. Come on in. They're pretty cute when they're smaller. Let me see here. Just look at that hun Joe piled all over in jail. I must be more than a thousand on the least. Yeah, just right, eighty nine. I got to watch them pretty close.
Speaker 7: The first week fell up the road locks, the big backs last week heating element and the bruta went out overnight.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, got to shove that door hard six a little, Yeah, I'll get it.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 5: What else was the officers?
Speaker 7: Glad to help you any way, I can those dates we want to check Mark. It was almost a month ago, the weekend in May seventh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Can you copy your time on that weekend where you were what you did? It's seventh Yeah, let's see. Yeah, I was here any way, approving that. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 7: I started here the twenty third of April and been here every night since.
Speaker 5: Anyone.
Speaker 7: We can check with him at well. My brother and his wife they were here.
Speaker 5: They can tell you.
Speaker 7: Neighbors too, they come over for cards on the weekend. I come to think of it, I remember my pro officer was out to see me one.
Speaker 5: Of those weekends. And pretty sure that you can check with him. All right, Mark, thanks?
Speaker 7: It wass a pitch anyway, sargint. The safe jobs around town is at it?
Speaker 5: That's it? You heard anything, Mark? And he rumbles at all.
Speaker 7: Oh, sorry, this job keeping pretty close to home.
Speaker 5: I don't get around at all.
Speaker 7: Maybe two three nights a month. That's the only time I get out.
Speaker 4: That's all we're asking about. Before we left the suspect, Mark Chandler. We called his parole officer and he substantiated the fact that he visited with Chandler on the night of May seventh, the date of one of the safe burgeries. We checked with his brother, his sister in law, and the neighbors, and all of them fully corroborated his story. Before we left, we were satisfied that Chandler had nothing to do with the safe burgeries. Was just another of the more than half a hundred possibles that we checked out in the course of the investigation. On June twenty second, we got a lead on still another one.
Speaker 5: It came from the proprietor.
Speaker 4: Of a fixed shop on West Picco Boulevard near Normandy.
Speaker 5: We drove out to interview him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just a minute, Officer's be with you in a minute, all right, Yeah, okay, if you get these keys made, the lady will be back soon, says.
Speaker 5: You need them. What time you got Frank ten to twelve? Hungry? I didn't have much breakfast? How about dropping by? Philippi's all right, it's.
Speaker 7: Me I could do any good friendship Sandwich haven't been done there for a while. Yeah, all right, off, sir, Sorry to keep you waiting. I had to get the keys done, I promised the one.
Speaker 5: That's all right, mister van Or. But what was it you want to see us about? Well, I don't know how to tell the truth. Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing at all. I just don't know.
Speaker 2: Figured I ought to let somebody.
Speaker 5: Know about it.
Speaker 7: Yes, a young fellow was in here the day before yesterday. Said his name was Ralph McKinley, which told me he lived around the neighborhood.
Speaker 5: But I don't think I ever saw him before. He didn't act right to me. He said he's an inventor. He doubt it though.
Speaker 7: He just didn't look good part to me, young fella. You know, dress is pretty flashy. Never met an inventor that looked like that before.
Speaker 5: What do you want with you, sir?
Speaker 6: He want me to make up a piece of machinery for him.
Speaker 7: He said it was a special part of a new gadget he was working in.
Speaker 5: Brought in his own drawing of the thing. I got it down here something. What'd the young fellow look like? Would you remember that? No? Typical cool room cowboy. I guess about twenty nine thirty years old, thin.
Speaker 7: Side tall, got a lot of gray hair for a young fellaw his hair was almost great. This is what he wants me to make up for him.
Speaker 5: What do you think it's supposed to be?
Speaker 7: Miss McKinley said it was part of a new hydraulic press he's working on.
Speaker 5: I got a few doubts about that.
Speaker 7: How do you mean, Oh, I've been tinkering around in this business long enough to know what goes into.
Speaker 5: A hydraulic press. Can't see where this thing fits in at all.
Speaker 7: Well, what's your idea on it? I think it's a pull only one job. There any good for?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Breaking into a safe.
Speaker 5: Before we left the fixed shop, van Owen gave us a complete.
Speaker 4: Description of Ralph McKinley, the man who'd ordered the gadget made for him. We showed him several mugshots of possible suspects, but he was unable to make any identification. Van Owen told us that McKinley said he'd call back in about three or four days.
Speaker 5: To pick it up.
Speaker 4: Except for the man's chance remark that he lived in the neighborhood, van Owen had no idea as to his whereabouts. Twelve ten pm. We drove back to the office and made arrangements for an immediate stakeout at the fixed shop. Then we checked the name and description of Ralph McKinley through R and I through the staff's office. It got us nothing. As far as we could find out. He had no previous criminal record. The end of the week came and went. The man known as McKinley failed to show up at Van Owen's fix it shop to pick up the article that he'd ordered. Eight o'clock Monday morning, June twenty eighth. We got the report when we checked in for work. Despite all precautions, another safe job had occurred over the weekend, this time at a liquor store on South Alvarado. The time, the area and the m O were generally the same. Frank and I drove out to the location. The store was located in the middle of the block, directly beneath an apartment hotel. Two of the rooms on the second floor of the hotel were situated above the liquor store. In one of these rooms, a hole had been ripped in.
Speaker 5: The floor, a hole large enough to allow.
Speaker 4: A man to pass through it and gain access to the liquor store directly beneath.
Speaker 5: After we checked over the room, we put in a call for Ray Pinker and the crime lab crew.
Speaker 4: Then we went downstairs to interview the manager of the hotel, A Clyde Winners.
Speaker 8: I rented that room Friday night a couple of young fellows. They checked out a few minutes before seven. I figure I'm pretty good judge of faces. They sure didn't look like thieves to me. Had their registerment twitters. One signed his name Gordon, the other one was Richardson. I think the register's right outside of the desk. You can check it if you yes, said we'd like to do that.
Speaker 5: When these two men, Gordon and Richardson checked in here, did they have any baggage with him? Would you know that? Oh?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes they had baggage. They took most of it with them, though they left a few old calls by eye. They must have left for the back way sometime late Sunday night. I figure imagine tearing up the floor of that room. Allows they bums. I should like to get my hands on them.
Speaker 5: Did they have a card? You know? Yeah? They had a car. I got the license to them. But do you think you'd recognize the two minute you saw him.
Speaker 8: Again, Oh, tag him in a minute, Be sure that I was. I I know him in a minute, especially the young fellow Richard, and they could have been more than twenty seven eight years old. Hair was gray, almost completely gray.
Speaker 3: You are listening to drag met authentic stories of your police force and action.
Speaker 4: Monday, June twenty eighth, eight fifty five am, the crime lab crew arrived at the scene of the latest safe burgery, the liquor store on South Albarado, and began their investigation. The store was gone over thoroughly, as well as the hotel room directly above it, through which the burghers had gained access by ripping a hole in the floor. In the store itself, a few feet from the safe, the men from the crime lab found what appeared to be a broken button, probably off a coat. They also found a crumpled.
Speaker 5: Envelope on the floor with the name F.
Speaker 4: Gordon on it written in pencil, along with the half a dozen pieces of.
Speaker 5: Clothing found in the hotel room.
Speaker 4: The items were taken back to the crime lab for further examination. Nine ten am, after we finished interviewing the hotel manager Clyde Winters, Frank Smith and I returned to the office with a license number and description of the suspects car, as well as exemplars of their handwriting which we'd obtained from the hotel register. We gave our DMV all the information on the car and they began an immediate check. The vehicle was registered in the name of Ralph McKinley at a Bronson Avenue address.
Speaker 5: The legal owner was a local bank.
Speaker 4: We checked the Bronson Avenue place, but they told us there that the man known as McKinley had moved out seven months before.
Speaker 5: They had no information on his whereabouts.
Speaker 4: Ten twenty am we talked to the people at the bank, which held a pink slip on the car. They told us that the last two monthly payments on the car had been mailed in from a Clifford Street address. Frank and I drove out to the location, a one story duplex apartment building near the intersection of Clifford and Beverly Boulevard.
Speaker 7: Nice units. Aren't you run up all over town?
Speaker 5: He seemed to be, don't they. I'll get it. Yeah, go your name, Ralph McKinley. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: What police officers, you want to get your coat McKinley like talkie downtown or what's it all about?
Speaker 5: Anybody else living here with you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: On, just myself? Look, can you mind telling me what you saw about?
Speaker 5: Got a few questions we'd like to ask you won't take long.
Speaker 6: I can't go with you now. I got a business appoint in a half an hour. I've been out of town the last couple of months. I'm due back on the job today, So yeah, I just can't spare the time. Appointments all day long. I got a whole flock of business I.
Speaker 5: Had to clear up.
Speaker 4: It makes it see even come on, let's go. Well, there wasn't much doubt about McKinley. He fitted the suspects description almost perfectly. Paul slight built, approximately twenty nine years of age, prematurely gray hair. We went over the apartment, but there was no sign of anyone else on the premises, no sign of any of the loot taken in the burglaries. We checked the adjoining garage, but it was empty. The suspect refused to admit that he even.
Speaker 5: Owned the car.
Speaker 4: Frank got on the phone, called the office and arranged for an immediate stakeout on the apartment. When the men arrived, we drove McKinley back to the City Hall and took him to the interrogation room. He was arrogant and uncooperative. We talked to him for a full hour, but he'd.
Speaker 5: Ad meant nothing.
Speaker 4: Frank left and went down the street to the crime lab to check with Ray Pinker on his binding.
Speaker 5: I continued questioning McKinley.
Speaker 6: I don't care what the old man says. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: He described you perfectly. He says you were in his fixed shop a little over a week ago. You told him you were an inventor. You ordered this gadget from him here.
Speaker 6: I don't get it. What's that supposed to prove?
Speaker 5: Well, you admit you went to the old man. You had to make this thing up for you didn't.
Speaker 6: I don't admit anything. Why should.
Speaker 5: All we're looking for is a straight story. We're going to get it sooner or later. McKinley might as well be.
Speaker 6: Now you're getting nothing from me. I don't have to ten you.
Speaker 5: How about the hotel overund South Alforado. You stayed there last week?
Speaker 6: No, of course not. Why should I go to a hotel I stayed at my place.
Speaker 5: But you said you've been away. You just got back in town.
Speaker 6: Sure, that's what I said. I just got back last week.
Speaker 5: Well then you didn't stay at that hotel in South Alpe.
Speaker 6: I told you I didn't. I don't even know the place.
Speaker 5: But you know mister van oh and the old fell out the fixed shop.
Speaker 6: I don't know him either. I don't even go near that end of town.
Speaker 5: What end of town?
Speaker 6: What are you talking about? Where you said the shop is?
Speaker 5: I didn't mention where it was.
Speaker 4: I asked you if you knew a mister van Owen, if you ever went to his fixit, chopped order anything.
Speaker 6: Look, what are you lying for? What's the angle?
Speaker 4: No angle? McKinley. I told you like to have a straight story, that's all.
Speaker 6: Well you've got it, mister. You heard everything I have to say. I don't know any old man. I don't know anything about that hotel.
Speaker 4: Friday talking. Yeah, don how to go? Uh huh? I see, yeah, we'll pick it up. No, we'll pick it up right.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot, you know, a live very good McKinley. Now what are you're talking about? That was our handwriting man.
Speaker 4: He just finished checking those exemplars of your handwriting we got from you. He compared him to a signature and the register at the hotel in South Alvarado.
Speaker 6: I already told you I don't know the police.
Speaker 4: Young fellow the name of Richardson checked in there Friday night about seven o'clock. He signed the register, the signatures in your handwriting.
Speaker 5: McKinley. Yeah, sure, that's right.
Speaker 6: I don't know the place. I've never been there.
Speaker 5: Now, look, you're gonna have to do better than that. Fella.
Speaker 4: The hotel manager's on his way down here now to identify you, sows mister van Owen from that fix it shop.
Speaker 5: Maybe a better piece together, a new story.
Speaker 6: Huh, you've got my story, cop, I was out of town.
Speaker 5: You can't prove where I was, all right, McKinley. Anyway you want to, Joe Hi, how to go?
Speaker 6: Pretty good?
Speaker 7: Great pinker, finished checking that step the crime way. There's a report on it.
Speaker 5: Thanks. You just about sews it up, no doubt about it. You're right, all right?
Speaker 6: What is it this time? What are your phony charges?
Speaker 5: I want?
Speaker 7: Can't be done, McKinley. Report on the clothes found in that hotel room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not my clothes. I wasn't even in the place.
Speaker 7: I'd say you were cleaning tags on a pair of trousers. One of the coats traced them through the dry cleaners to you.
Speaker 5: But a lie.
Speaker 4: I told you I wasn't in the plate. There was just something else here, fella. They ran tests on all the clothes they found in your room. They found particles of fireclay from the safe that you broke into down below in the liquor store.
Speaker 5: Your coat, your trousers, they were covered with the stuff save your When you ripped up the floor of that hotel room, you picked up something else on the clothes. Particles of floor bunnies, small bits of wood. They all tie in.
Speaker 4: You're threw No, not quite a piece of broken coat button. We picked up a couple of feet from the safe. They matched it up with one of the buttons on your coat. Of broken on pieces fit perfectly, Kenley, I got my story. You know you've got a lot to.
Speaker 5: Explain to take my chances. What's the pitch, McKinley, You know you got to come up with a story. I might as well be.
Speaker 6: Now there's no story to it. I was out of town. I told you that.
Speaker 7: Why don't you get off at mister it's not going to take much to make a liar out of you.
Speaker 6: You know that, don Why don't you get off my back?
Speaker 5: That to you?
Speaker 6: I told you everything. I'm going to tell you. I'm getting out it.
Speaker 5: All right, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I can wait it out as long as you can.
Speaker 5: I doubt man. I get that's faking, are there? Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Jan?
Speaker 5: What is it that right? When? Fine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Thanks? He's a news for you, McKinley.
Speaker 7: Yeah, your apartment came back here place a few minutes ago.
Speaker 5: Our men picked him up.
Speaker 6: They're bringing him in now. There's news to me. I don't have any partner.
Speaker 7: I'm in business for myself. That's what your partner figures tell me. He claims you got all the money. Thinks you were trying to run out on him.
Speaker 5: Oh what money?
Speaker 6: Look, I showed you my wallet. You know how much I got.
Speaker 5: And we're going to ask you just once more.
Speaker 6: You got it? There's nothing else to say.
Speaker 5: Rank.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's book him in. According to Rogers's partner's willing to talk. I'll get the story from him, all right, McKinley, let's go.
Speaker 5: What do you mean, go away at Maine jail. We're booking you in come on, let's go go ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah, come on, what did he say anyway? This guy you say they picked up?
Speaker 5: Were your partner told you what he said? Why? What's alone?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 7: I just say better order appistenigrapher han Joe. They are ready to take the statement when they bring the guy in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good idea.
Speaker 6: Sorry, Yeah, let's go back. I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true. The names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: On September nineteenth, trial was held in Superior Court, Department of ninety one City and County of Los Angeles, State of California.
Speaker 5: In a moment the results of that trial.
Speaker 3: Ralph Arthur McKinley and his accomplished John Warren Hatfield, We're tried and convicted on six counts of second degree burglary. They received sentences as prescribed by law, second degree burglary as punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by imprisonment in the state penitentiary for not less than one nor more than fifteen.
Speaker 2: Years, Ladies and gentlemen, to protect our nation in the free world against communist aggression, we must produce vast quantities of guns, planes, tanks, and explosives. Defense of our country against aggression abroad and inflation at home depends on our ability to fill both our military and civilian requirements. Remember, the better we produce, the stronger we grow.
Speaker 3: You have just heard drag met a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Department Technical Advisors. Captain Jack Donahoe, Sergeant Marty Winn, Sergeant Frans Racer. Heard Tonight where Harry Bartel Stacey, Harris, Jack Rushin script by Jim Mosey, music by Wilter Schuman. Hell give me speaking.
Speaker 6: There's more adventurous entertainment with Nightbeat.
Speaker 5: Next on NBC.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. Well, Martin Milner was unable to appear. Whether it was illness or a scheduling conflict, we don't know, but given the short length of the Bill Lockwood incumbency, it's a bit unfortunate. Now, of course, Frank Smith would become Friday's new partner, although not Frank Smith as we hear him here. But it is fair to say that Web was pretty well settled on that being name and fairly quickly. In June nineteen fifty two, the Dragnet comic strip was launched and it featured Friday having a partner of Frank Smith, and that would be a theme where that would be the predominant name, even as they tried a couple different actors in the particular part, so it begins to look more and more like Frank Smith, whoever that's going to be. I do have to say regarding or criminal, I don't think anyone should be a criminal, but that goes double a and shriplay for those of us who are distinctly identifiable. I know that there are quite a few people for whom it's a bit of a pastime to look at local booking photos and people who really really do stand out. And a few things stand out, like prematurely a grain man in his twenties, or at least few things dead back in nineteen fifty two, people have found a whole lot of other, even more distinct ways to stand out. Now, whether his partner had told all or not, there's a good case to argue or to imagine that they were making up a story to get a confession. I think they were doing the guy a favor. Whether that was their intention or not, because yeah, he was going to jail regardless because he was just too recognizable not to. But at least he didn't take the full heat alone. All right, Well, now it's time to think Orreon supporter of the day, and I want to thank Jeffreary, Patreon supporter since October twenty twenty three, currently supporting the podcast at the Detective Sergeant level of seven dollars and fourteen cents or more per month. Thanks for your support, Jeffrey, And that will do it for today. If you are enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software and be sure to rate and review the podcast wherever you download it from. We'll be back next Thursday with another episode of Dragnet, but join us back here tomorrow for yours truly, Johnny dollar Ware.
Speaker 10: It'm five a buck and a half for a cab is seven twenty seventy fifty first a real fancy place and the dramin were enough go bray to think a battleship. I showed him my credentials and he has the elevator boy taking it to the single apartment on the whole seventh four.
Speaker 5: Aheads.
Speaker 9: I think it does open like it usually is? Yes, bling bling, Hello.
Speaker 11: Anybody eighteen?
Speaker 9: Pretty same one who's in a Randy Singer in homicide.
Speaker 1: I hope you'll be with us then in the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and check us out on Instagram, Instagram dot com. Slice Great Detectives from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham's son and all