Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: A quick note, this week's episode of Monster Talk was put together rather quickly and did not get my usual level of editorial cleanup. There's going to be a little bit of cussing in it, as we say in the South. In fact, you'll hear a cuss word in just a few moments now that I think about it, because I'm going to quote Martin Luther. Technically his cussing would have been in German, but I'm reading a translation. I love monsters, That's why I created Monster Talk. Hopefully that comes across in the episodes. But I'm also a skeptic, and sometimes I hear skeptics say disparaging things about monsters, like why do they matter? They're not real, or yeah, but only an idiot or a crazy person who believe that, and so on. But really that's not true. It doesn't take much to get people, rational, normal run of the mill people to believe in a monster. They just have to see something they don't understand, or experience something odd or unusual, and then their mind will do the rest. Take change links, for example, I used to think they were a silly idea you put your kid to and overnight fairies come and leave one of their children for you to raise. Instead, they take away your child. I figured it was based on the behavior of the cuckoo bird, which is a real animal that puts its eggs into the nest of other species in a behavior called brood parasitism. But then I read that the founder of the Protestant Reformation, none other than Martin Luther himself, had seen a changeling. I'll let you hear his description. Eight years ago at Dassao, I Martin Luther saw and touched the changeling. It was twelve years old, and from its eyes and the fact that it had all of its senses, one could have thought that it was a real child. It did nothing but eat. In fact, it ate enough for any four peasants or threshers. It ate shit and pissed, and whenever someone touched it it cried. When bad things happened in the house, it laughed and was happy, and when things went well, it cried. It had these two virtues. I said to the Prince of Anhalt, if I were the prince or ruler here, I would throw this child into the water into the molda that flows by the Dessau commit homicidium on him. But the Elector of Saxony, who was with me at Dessau, and the Princess of Annhal did not want to follow my advice. Therefore, I said, then you should have all Christians repeat the Lord's prayer in church that God may exercise the devil. They did this daily at Dessau, and the changeling child died in the following year. Such a changeling child is only a piece of flesh, a masa carnas, because it has no soul. After reading this account, I suddenly realized that I had misunderstood the changeling legend completely. It wasn't some crazy fairy tale made up by people based on a cuckoo bird. It was a genuine, but non scientific response to discovering that the child you've had had raised so far, which had seemed normal, had suddenly turned into a stranger, unable to communicate, afraid of touch. Well, let's just say that as the parent of a child with autism, it was a chilling revelation, especially if you read how the so called legends recommended treatment of such children. This episode's not about change links or autism, but I did want to take a moment to point out that these monsters are sometimes much more serious business than people realize. You probably know that already, after all, you're listening to the show, but I want to thank you for listening and for making monsters and science a part of your experience. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, very creature, part ape, part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 3: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 4: Monstertal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host, Blake Smith, together with Ben Radford and Karen Stalls. Now we bring you the interviews and commentary about the intersection between myth and reality. Now, this episode's way more casual than normal, and I just wanted to give you a quick update on why that is. And this also has to do with the recent lag in episodes. I've started a new job and I'm working very long hours as we get ready to launch our website. I like to keep Monster Talking non commercial project, but if you're curious about my day job, I'll be posting a little bit about it on my Twitter feed. That's doctor Atlantis at Twitter. We have a lot of awesome topics to cover in the future, and there's no shortage of monsters. So as soon as my time becomes free again, we'll pop back with more regularity. So thanks for bearing with me on this because I am really excited about it.
Speaker 4: More obstrutal.
Speaker 2: So today we're talking with Brian Thompson of the James or in the Educational Foundation, and Brian, you're the field coordinator for the j REF.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is a term that means nothing to most people, so I'll briefly explain it. Its outreach. I'm in charge of reaching out to the skeptical community, so I talked to local group leaders from all over the world about how they can help educate people about skepticism and do activism in their community and get together and have fun.
Speaker 4: And that's cool.
Speaker 2: I bet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, you know it's pretty good. I could be working in construction walking beams and skyscrapers and stuff putting those together, which would be a terrible job for me because I'm afraid of heights and I'm also afraid of carrying my lunch.
Speaker 4: In a pale.
Speaker 5: Do they still do that like to sit side by side on girders eating their lunch.
Speaker 2: According to the photos at my pizzeria, Then yes, that's really where I get a lot of my information.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, well that's how I get around New York City is by the wallpaper subway.
Speaker 2: It probably is. All right, So you're going around saying words about this amazing meeting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, pretty much everywhere I go, I say some words about the amazing meeting.
Speaker 4: You've been before, right.
Speaker 2: I've been a couple of times, and I have to admit it lived up to his name. It's a fantastic experience. But before I go off from.
Speaker 5: No, wait, wait, wait, wait a second, wait a second, it's an amazing experience.
Speaker 2: What did I say?
Speaker 5: You said fantastic, and legally if you say fantastic meeting, we will sue.
Speaker 2: I don't want that.
Speaker 4: I don't want that, and it's just fair warning.
Speaker 2: I guess I could go back and fix it and post. Could I just sort of issue a retraction now and then say that I retract my statement fantastic and would like to replace that with an adjective that's more appropriate and legally sound.
Speaker 5: That being asked along to our attorneys and be sure when you say amazing, make sure to pronounce the exclamation point where the eye is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Is it the amazing meeting exclamation point TM?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, it's just it's the exclamation point is more just emphasis.
Speaker 4: So it's like amazing meeting.
Speaker 2: Is it? But is it? Do either?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: Is there a TM or an R at the end or anything like that?
Speaker 4: And you don't have to say that, but yes there is.
Speaker 2: So it's silent.
Speaker 4: It's a silent trademark symbols.
Speaker 2: Silent but really really binding legally. Okay, yeah, so no, I don't recall as much rules lawyer in when I was there, but yeah, it was a really amazing time that I had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when I say that, oh sorry.
Speaker 2: Seriously, though, it really I feel a little bit stupid saying it. It is amazing, it really is. It's not just the incredible speakers and the sort of camaraderie of meeting all these like minded people. It's also just the conversations in the the panels and no, it is those things, all those things. I'm just going to redo that whole bit.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, wait, wait wait, I don't think so. I don't think I think I get where you're going with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more than just what's on the car. Let me say that, right, yeah, or what's on the car. You get the piece of paper saying here's what the events are, here's what people here's what people are talking, here's what they're talking about, here's the workshops. But beyond that, you're going to meet so many people from just uh what's the word for, lots and lots of.
Speaker 4: Different uh, diverse.
Speaker 2: You're going to meet a diverse group of people.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: It's smartest people I've ever met.
Speaker 5: It's the largest or one of the largest, certainly skeptics events in the entire world. And and despite that, it still feels very intimate.
Speaker 4: Maybe is the word.
Speaker 2: It's definitely the word.
Speaker 5: Yeah, more uptimate for some people than others. But we're sort of it's last year, we had sixteen hundred people I believe roughly sixteen hundred people packed into the South Point Hotel and Casino, which is a very large building. But still when you have sixteen hundred people all staying in the same place, and pretty much everybody that goes to TAM is staying in the South Point or very close by, and a lot of people never really see any sunlight because there's really no reason to. You can go outside into the hot Las Vegas air. You notice that Las Vegas, it always feels like someone's breathing right in your face when you go outside and they spend their bread. Smells like a delicious buffet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. It's nice.
Speaker 5: It's like a warm, savory wind always blowing in your face. And some people don't like that, so they like being able to stay inside the South Point. You got a bar there, you've got.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you've got everything at the South Point. There is absolutely no reason to leave the hotel if you don't want to do anything. So like last year when I went, I took my wife and we did go catch a show, but that was because she was with me. Otherwise I would have just stayed in the hotel. And there's plenty to do. You could go bowling, you could last year, you could go see a Harry Potter movie. It's amazing, it's really, really quite amazing.
Speaker 5: You can do that this year if you brought a maybe a DVD player and right to a red box or something.
Speaker 4: But I don't know why you would do that. You certainly have time.
Speaker 5: There's time in the evenings to go do things that Las Vegas has to offer, like go see maybe a Pennant teller show or something like that. But if you choose to stay in the South Point, you can you can always find someone to talk to and something to do. Like you said, it's a very diverse group of people that show up for TAM, people from all over the world, with all sorts of crazy accents and weird manners of dress. But everybody's able to put aside any differences they might have and talk about all the things that they have in common, which at TAM, if you're a skeptic, is a.
Speaker 4: Ton of things.
Speaker 5: It's just nothing but NonStop, wonderful conversation with wonderful, friendly people, whether you're down in the Elmar Bar in the South Point, or people sort of pack into different corners around the conference area and are always chit chatting and talking. It's it's just a it's a great community experience, and that's outside of or I guess it's not outside of but it's in addition to the official programming schedule, which is also extremely significant and maybe the main draw.
Speaker 2: Maybe I guess you could tell me who's yeah, well, yeah, who's coming this year?
Speaker 4: This year, We've got all sorts of folks.
Speaker 5: You know, we've got the tam regulars like Steven Novella and the other Novellas and they probably hate it when people call them the other Novellas.
Speaker 4: Right, and the rest Stephen Novella and the rest.
Speaker 5: You have your Eugenie Scott's from the National Center for Science Education will be there, Michael Schrmer will be there. Your Monster Talk co host, doctor Karen stolesnow.
Speaker 4: We'll be there.
Speaker 5: We've got Penn and Teller. I think this is the only skeptics conference. Well, you'll be able to see Penn and Teller. We've got Jamie Ian Swiss, the wonderful mentalist. We've got Paul Pravenza, the wonderful comedian doing a stand up show. I'm going to be hosting a comedic game show that does not at all a rip off of Wait wait, don't tell me you called Weightwaight, don't fool me that you were on at Dragon Con this past year. Maybe on again. Paul Prevenza will certainly be on it. You've got your Brian Dunning from skeptoid dot Com. You've got your Pamela Gay. You've got all sorts of people. List goes on and on and on, Max Mayven, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Saunders, and of course James Randy himself, which everyone loves singing Randy and he loves seeing everybody. He's constantly shaking hands and hugging people and doing magic tricks. And if you come to TAM you'll be able to take part in that.
Speaker 2: And he's actually nice to everyone, not just the good little boys and girls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, he's nice to everyone. It's a myth that he's only nice to the good little poison girls. It's as the myth that he just leaves Cole and the stockings of the ones that are bad. He doesn't make any distinction one way or the other. He will give you presents on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 4: Right here are we talking about again?
Speaker 2: Well? I forget, but I just feel I feel warm.
Speaker 5: Right, Charles Darwin will be there. One of the things I'm particularly excited about is a newcomer to TAM. I believe she maybe have been to TAM before, but she hasn't been doing her show. Kelly Carlin, daughter of George Carlin. She's going to be doing her show A Carlin Home Companion, which is about her life growing up as George Carlin's daughter. It's a great show. And she's doing that at TAM there's a ton of Does she have a.
Speaker 2: Bit on seven words? My dad yelled at me a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was sure that I'll print it on a T shirt or something. Yeah, it's it's amazing, like I would. I was at she she put on a birthday celebration for George car then he would have been seventy five last week as of this recording. And I went to that event and she was trying out all this stuff that her dad had had stored over the years. He just kept everything, every piece of history he was ever a part of his clothes, everything, So she has all sorts of weird stories and visual aids and it's just it's a wonderful show.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you can. You can. You can go to Amazing Meeting dot com.
Speaker 5: And see the list of all of our wonderful speakers and our workshop schedule. It's just it's a it's a great time. It's going to be July twelfth through the fifteenth, and you'd really if you think you might want to go, you might want to go. Get your registration now because it could sell out. And also if it doesn't sell out, if you wait too long, the price will go up like any other conference. So get in early and you can seal a deal for yourself.
Speaker 4: More obstrutle.
Speaker 2: You know this was so casual. I forgot to put together a byo for you.
Speaker 6: Well, the first question will be sort of you know, were you.
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: How did you get on our podcast?
Speaker 4: What's happening?
Speaker 6: At least?
Speaker 3: We're all a bit rusty on this right now.
Speaker 2: I think that's my fault. I've just been I've been working so hard on money job, I haven't had time to do any recording or anything. So Tonight's guest. You know I always say tonight, I'm still doing that. People could be listening to this at nine am.
Speaker 6: But they don't. They don't. They always listen to it tonight. You know, come on this week.
Speaker 2: I mons your talk this week, not me in.
Speaker 1: The morning, do you Yeah, Well, I'm doing my hair and stuff getting ready for work.
Speaker 6: So Blake just say for everybody except Sharen ah Man, awake.
Speaker 4: Morebstrtal day.
Speaker 2: This morning, as Sharon gets ready for work, we're talking to her live. I would be doing my hair, but I don't have any left I need. It has been so it we're like a fifty to fifty hair mix here.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's good, it's even.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so today we're talking with Sharon Hill. Sharon has done a lot of things with skepticism, but right now we're talking to her because of her new website, Doubtful News. Now, many skeptics already know who you are, but for those listeners who don't, what's your background?
Speaker 1: Oh, jezus, I've been with this involved in the skeptical topics and subjects. This is probably about nineteen ninety three. I was always interested in the paranormal and monsters, and about that time I was out of college and I had some time to start reading more involved literature about it. And I found that the skeptical literature that I'd never seen before was way more interesting than the credulous stuff that you would find in the public libraries or on the popular books and magazines. So I really got into it. And at that point, the Internet was becoming more of a thing, so I got on there and I remember, you know, the first browser was text only, and I would just search for sit all day and search for ghosts and bigfoot and lackness sponsor and find out all these cool things that I didn't know before. And so that was sort of my introduction there was the Internet was definitely a gateway to finding better information on these topics. And after that, you know, I just was interested in it for a long long time. And I don't know if if Ben remembers the first time we met. It was it was in a it was Philadelphia meeting. You were talking about lake monsters. Do you remember that?
Speaker 6: I do, In fact, I remember I remember that, and then you and I think we went to like an Applebee's or something that had a beer. If I'm not mistaken, No.
Speaker 1: You're mistaken because I had to leave early.
Speaker 6: And you and I had a beer somewhere where that was. But tell me more about I apparently have a bad memory.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking that remember that time you talked about lake monsters.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Is before your your your book had come out. I'm like monsters, I'm pretty sure. And it was in a it was Philadelphia. It was a skeptical group meeting, and you talked about you had two talks one about uh, I don't know Myths probably, and then the second one was Lake Monsters, and I had to leave because I had just had a baby a couple months before, so I couldn't stay very long, and Philadelphia was a far trip from where I lived, so I didn't get to see it, but I eventually did get the book, and then I started going to skeptical conferences. I got involved with the websites. I volunteered to help write a couple of things on what was called the Young Skeptics at the time became Inquiring Mine, so it's basically for kids, and I was always interested in writing them about monsters for kids because I know that that's a very interesting subject to them, and it was fun to write for an age group like that. So I got into that, and after that I wrote a couple of pieces. This pirded skeptical briefs and things like that about ghosts, and I went back and got a master's degree in science and the public It's and education and started writing my thesis, which was about research and do paranormal groups in the United States, and that includes the ghost hunters and the cryptozoology groups as well as general paranormal groups that investigate anma lies and forty and type things. So I really got into it then. And then I started writing articles and started a blog, started a website, So yeah, I'm doing a lot of different.
Speaker 3: Things and masters then what questions were you looking at concerning these groups in the States.
Speaker 1: I was interested in how they used science, if they used it in a very casual way, if they had scientists as part of their investigation groups, if they understood what it meant to set up a research plan, and how they were conducting their investigations. So I looked at a thousand different websites. I just went totally from what was on the web, and the majority of those are ghost hunting groups. But there were a growing number of bigfoot groups, mostly Bigfoot. They did other crypti investigations as well, but mostly was Bigfoot. And there's a declining number of UFO investigation groups and a couple that sort of did everything. And I looked at them all across the country and how they used science in their investigations.
Speaker 3: Do they use science little?
Speaker 2: It's mostly an attitude.
Speaker 1: Science means careful, and they act particulars and the conclusions were they acted like they thought scientists should act. That's a big difference from what science is as a process, and none of them, almost across the board, there were no real scientists involved. There may have been a handful of wildlife biologists or computer scientists were popular, you know, in these groups, but otherwise none of them had scientific training, and they never when they recruited people for their groups, they didn't ask for people with scientific training. All they wanted was people who were interested in the topics, especially people who had had their own personal experiences. That the personal experience was what was driving people into these amateur investigation groups, going out and doing their own investigations. They really didn't know how to conduct them scientifically at all.
Speaker 6: I should for for for listeners who wanted to read more about it. Actually, we published Sharon's piece and Skeptical Acquiring Magazine that was from an adaptation of for thesis and it was a great piece. So I encourage people who want to read more about it to check. I think it appeared I think three or four issues back, but it was very good.
Speaker 1: I think it was March March April.
Speaker 2: What's the Where can people find that?
Speaker 6: Ben Skeptical Acchoir Science Magazine. It's available in better bookstores. If the bookstore you're in doesn't carry it. It's not a better bookstore. It's it's around and about. You can get it online. You can order it. Uh, you know it's a it's around psycop dot org. I think I've I sometimes write for it or something and you know whatever cool I.
Speaker 3: Mean supermarkets if we can find that. Oh that's National enquire Sorry, yeah.
Speaker 6: It's well, I was gonna ask you for show.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna say that we're gonna put a link of the show notes go ahead.
Speaker 6: So did you I was curious about the follow up to it? Did when you when you were inquiring these groups and you know, asking them, you know, deer ghost hunters of Akron, you know, what's your what's your understanding of science? What sort of answers did you? Did you was? Were they sort of defensive about it? Did they wreck? Do they realize that you were probably not going to be taking a very positive view of their lack of science? Or were they like, oh, yeah, we do we have MF detectors?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: They what were you know? I assume that they didn't think there was anything wrong with that.
Speaker 1: I was a little bit more subtle than that. I didn't want them to know that I was looking at this from a skeptical viewpoint. I wanted to be neutral, right because I was pretty sure that they were going to give me a different answer if I look like I was critical, So I I really wanted to get a big data set. So that's why I went through a thousand of them to get a really good cross section to get a feel of it. But about thirty of them that distinctly used very scientific terms. Whether it was in their name, you know, where the Scientific Ghost and Investigator Investigation Group, or they was, it was very blatant on their site that that was what they were relying on to draw people in and get them to increase their credibility. They looked credible by using that word. So I took about thirty of those and I emailed them individually and asked them, what is it about your group that scientific? Do you have any scientists on board? Can you explain some of the ways that you use science and your investigation? Eight replied yea, which is not bad. Some were very they didn't want to talk. They're like, who are you, what are you doing? And others would say they did get defensive. I teach this, I teach these courses to interested individuals, and we do science and all this stuff. And they didn't give me any details, and a few, maybe three or four, were very detailed and helpful. And the more that I asked them about it, the more they said, well, we're not really trained scientists, but we're trying to do the best we can. We're trying to be careful, we're trying to be meticulous. We're trying to be systematic in what we do, which is not science. It's science y, you know. And it wasn't It wasn't rigorous. They thought it was rigorous putting out all their equipment every single time in a very it was definitely a meticulous, careful way. But you could do that with any pieces of equipment. It's not scientific. But the equipment was the one thing that really did stand out as them feeling very scientific.
Speaker 6: The the gadgets and the gears did it very much.
Speaker 3: And so where were they getting their exposure to science or their interpretation of lines I was coming from.
Speaker 1: I was hoping I didn't guess the answer beforehand, but it turns out it was true, and I did find a reference on this. They're getting it from television, they're getting it from the ghost hunters on TV very much, So no doubt about it. They mimic what they see on TV as being good ghost hunters, good investigators.
Speaker 2: I think that was kind of a major factor in the creation of this show, was because I was seeing a lack of scientific and skeptical qualities in any of the topic investigations, right, so, whether it was ghosts from monsters or UFOs. So you know, we don't really do UFOs very much on the show. Occasionally we'll talk about aliens. But did you take anything away from that? I mean, I know one of the topics I'm going to come up with is or come to in a moment, is about your website that you're working on now. But what does the skeptical community need to do or do you think it's an action call for us to do anything to help improve scientific literacy? I know we have organizations that do that. What does it mean to you that this is going on? Is it a problem that we can address in some way? What can we do?
Speaker 1: Well? There were two things. One, I think that some skeptical groups can if there is a way to work with these groups, do that in a friendly way, and you would definitely get a better result. I don't know if it's possible. Some groups are not open to that. Ghost hunter groups especially, they think that they're the experts. They don't want anybody else to come in and step on their territory. But it would be great if we could get the two sides to come in and say, Okay, we're not going to step on your toes. We're going to do our thing, but we're going to try to work together, and maybe we can come up with a better explanation for what's happening here, or we can come up with two different explanations, perhaps from each group, and see which one might I make a little bit more sense, or maybe we can learn from each other. And the second thing was I noticed that, and I don't think that most of the skeptical people would realize this. How totally dedicated these people are too searching for ghost evidence or bigfoot. They are so committed to this they put a tremendous amount of their leisure time into it and their personal funds. Skeptics do the same, but in this case, this is for people who are almost spiritually involved in this subject and they want to do a good thing. They want to contribute and they also want to help people that they feel are in trouble with a haunting or something like that. They want to do good. They often do worse, you know, make the situation worse, I think, by telling people that they have demons infesting their house. But they want to do the right thing, and I think that their heart is in the right place. And I think the most important thing is they want to to be scientific. They don't know how they want to. I don't know how you I don't know how to make that better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with that. I think they want the credibility that comes along with that as well. But I certainly think there are a lot of people who for whom this is just a flavor of the month thing and they're just involved in a very dispassionate way. And aside to these other people who really get into it and live that like a lot of skeptics too as well, I think a lot of groups are on the way out.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: In your survey, did you happen to find out how many also want to be on TV?
Speaker 1: A lot a lot we're pitching TV shows, and I mean what I saw was just from the website. I didn't talk to enough people. What I had to do is just take the data from the websites because I couldn't possibly talk to them all. So what I was seeing was the public face of those groups. I didn't get into the personalities that were involved in actual day to day stuff in the groups, and that look like it very tremendously clear.
Speaker 2: I don't want anybody to think because I'm snickering about things. I totally understand the desire to be in a paranormal investigation group. I mean, I'm in one myself. It's just a skeptic group. It doesn't but there's not I mean that desire to investigate. It's the same passion that drives us. It's just what technologies and techniques we use, I think that, and how we approach the questions, right, But uh, it's that desire to find out that the answers to unknown question, you know, that is their life after death or their ghosts? Is there an American would a But these are all really interesting questions.
Speaker 3: We have those in common.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, most of these people were inspired by personal experiences they had that they were confused by, or that they wanted to show other people that they were valid and skeptics. We don't often have that. I mean, some of us have had potential paranormal experiences, but we think that there's a reasonable explanation for them. Some people, other people are really affected by it, and they don't they think it's paranormal.
Speaker 6: That's been my experience, especially, you know, when when I'm talking to people who like in ghost hunter groups and in cryptology in groups specifically where you know, as you pointed out, many of them are driven by some you know, personal firsthand experience. And and what I've found is that oftentimes, you know, they have this experience, you know, they they see something weird in the woods, and of course they immediately jump to Bigfoot or they you know, see something weird in the hallway. And one thing that these these groups offer is our answers. They're not starting correct answers, but they offer they offer already made framework of belief and you know, well come to you know, hey, if you saw a ghosts, you know, go come, you know, come to our local ghost hunters meeting and and share your story. And that's where they feel, you know, they're among friend friends, They're among people who share their experiences. They're not typically among skeptics, which is sort of a shame and of itself. It's a problem in and of itself. But that's one thing that that I think that a lot of times gets overlooked in discussions about paranormal groups. Is is a lot of times it's the sense of community. It's it's friends, It's people hanging out. I mean, it's you know, it's it's yeahoo's you know, going out for the weekend looking for looking for bigfoot in the in the woods. It's uh, it's friends, you know, walking around the local cemetery, and it's you know, I certainly a lot of it is there are very dedicated people in there. But a lot of times, what I found is that that we get so busy sort of criticizing their lack of science in some cases, that we forget that in many ways, it's a social event. That's that's what a lot of people get from it, right, Amen, Amen and Sharon.
Speaker 3: You're going to be talking about skeptics and believers looking horns at Tame this year, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Yes. Uh, I've I've learned so much in the past two years. I think about talking to people of other viewpoints, and I don't like conflict. I'm not I just avoid it. But what I had to learn to do is handle it in a certain way, because as if you're in a scientific field, you get criticized for everything. You get criticized from everything from grammar to you know, the basic premise of your whole idea, so you get used to that a little bit. In terms of a non personal critique. When you're online and you're doing articles or you're doing blog posts, you get a lot of personal comments from people, and maybe they're not meant to be personal, but it's hard not to take personal. So I had to learn some techniques that are counter to the way that you would normally react, which would be get defensive and start getting angry about things. Learn how to handle that and take it away from the personal aspect and try to see what's behind that person's comment. It's probably not directed at you. It's just directed at some idea of you that they have. So I've been practicing that on my blog and in real life. And I thought that I could share some of those things that tam about dealing with people of other worldviews, and maybe we could bring this conversation to a civil level and agree on some things and then move from there to answer the bigger questions and how we would approach those bigger questions without getting mad at each other.
Speaker 2: And just in case our listeners don't know, we're talking about TAM, which is the Amazing Meeting which takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada every year. It's put on by the James Randy Educational Foundation, and it's a place where skeptics and scientists and researchers and people who are just interested in these topics get together and listen to lectures and mingle. It's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sharon's going to be appearing at the workshop on Thursday, isn't it It four pm?
Speaker 1: That's right, And I've got some great panelists to help me out totally different subject areas and it'll be really cool.
Speaker 6: Sharon was going to ask about, Yes, go ahead. I was going to ask about, you know, trying you mentioned, you know, trying to bring the skeptics and believers together and sort of having the same you know, so for more of a dialogue. And I think that's a great idea. I've I've tried to advocate that for a long time. Although I'm wondering what your thoughts are on on how viable that really is? I mean if if if if essentially skeptics and for lack of a better word, believers aren't even sharing basic premises. You know, you know, for example, a lot of a lot of ghost groups just sort of use the word ghosts and throw around the word ghosts as if there's some universally agreed upon definition, and of course there isn't. So how how big of an impediment do you think that is? That that you know that in many cases that they're you're just coming from two very very different world views.
Speaker 1: And not only that, but the communities are close to each other, they're they're insulated from each other completely. There's there's no real way to overlap except in a forum where you're arguing with each other. What I've seen potentially work is going person to person, having just a one, one to one connection with somebody in a paranormal group, where you start a conversation and say, I understand where you're coming from, and you have these beliefs that you're going in there with different beliefs and different methods than than I would, and talk to them and get get to talk to them on a person to person level, not about the subject, but but try to understand where they're coming from. And in a couple of cases it's just happened on the blog. People have come in really defensive about a news story that I've been critical of, a haunting or something like that, and they've come on to the site and they said, you don't know what you're talking about, and I said, look, let's just ratchet this down and let's figure out what exactly did you see and start talking about it at a much more civil level, and they will admit, we would really like to have another set of eyeballs, you know, somebody who doesn't share the same viewpoint that we have to come in and then it's hard to actually make those arrangements. But if you're in the same town it might be easier. But I think it involves getting to people on a very personal, one on one level and establishing a really a trusting relationship that you know you're not going to get stabbed in the back or you're not going to get criticized. So I don't know, maybe that would work. I wish there were more skeptical groups that would sort of reach out in a friendly way. It's really hard though.
Speaker 2: You just mentioned your blog, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted you to come on the show and talk with us. Your blog is called Doubtful News. I didn't really think of it as a blog, but I guess that's what it is. What is it and why did you create it? Give me the elevator speech.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a unique news feed. There isn't anything like it. I looked before I started it, and I wanted something like this because this is what I would be interested in. I wanted a place to talk about these stories that were coming out in the news about the paranormal and pseudoscience and anomalies which is one of my favorite topics as well forty and type anomalies, natural events that are sort of strange and unusual and anti science type stories. And what I did was I started the blog where I linked to these news stories and give a quote from the story and then pose either some links to additional information maybe that would be a more skeptical type treatment of the topic, or I pose questions that I find missing in the story. There's missing information, or there's details missing, or something doesn't seem right. So it's just a way of questioning the story and in a critical thinking way, and it's evidence focused. I want people to come on and contribute their views if they have more information, and provide some references or evidence for their claims, not just opinions thrown around or anything like that. But I started it back in August of twenty eleven, and we ramped up pretty quickly, and so we're approaching a year in August and already we're over half a million page views since it began, So I'm pretty pleased with the response. We've been getting some nice search results people, and this was one of the main points is when people search for these subjects, I really like them to be able to find something of a more you know, thinking, critical thinking nature about the story. I want them to find something that's not scredulous. It seems to be working.
Speaker 2: So I've been following the site for a while, and it seems like you're doing a combination of things because you're doing aggregation by gathering the stories, but you're also doing some curation very much, and I was curious as to how that was going because I look at a lot of paranormal and cryptozoological news sites and I find yours very helpful, very useful, but I have not been offered very loudly a free iPad, So I'm wondering, yeah, or vigor, is your site broken in some way?
Speaker 1: We tried ads, you know, the problem with ads is they come up with psychics and diets and business venture totally antithetical to the purpose of the site. So we quit that and we started asking for donations, and that was actually a better route to go. So we do accept donations strictly for server issues and and travel and costs like that, business cards and things like that. But so, yeah, we've done away with the ads. I wanted to leave it as a very clean site.
Speaker 2: It is so you could.
Speaker 1: Just take a look at everything and just scan the page really quick if and find some stories that you like, or go to the categories if you're into one particular category.
Speaker 3: And I think it's a fantastic idea that you're running this site and that you're treating these current events in skepticism. That's how I see the site as a news site for skepticism. And I do like the link that you have for were we wrong about something? Tell us a bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I added that about a month ago, at about the same time where we quit running so many bigfoot stories, which is a sort of another aspect of this. I was because I really like the cryptosology news and because I don't think that there is a good cryptozoology news site out there. The ones that are out there are just they're just trails and trails of garbage stories just to get hits, and I, well, there's more than once it was. They're loaded with ads there, their teasers. I just got annoyed. So I started putting the better stories on the doubtful news site. And then that's sort of backfired in a in a couple of different ways. So I trailed I tailed that back, and I at one point I said, I'm just not going to do any more big Foot stories. They're pain And one of the reasons that happened was a certain person who's a researcher but he's not one of the field researchers, was upset at the way a certain news story treated him, made him look like he was lying or whatever. So when I quoted the news story, I had to go buy what the news story said because I didn't know anything different from that, and so I commented on the news story, well, you know, it looked like this guy wasn't very clear on what he was asking. Well, it turns out that the news story was wrong. Now, I'm not a journalist. I can't fact check somebody else's story. That's not the point of the site. But when he came on and started telling me that I was I should have fact checked and I was completely wrong, and I called him a liar. And the more I tried to explained him, look, whatever you want me to fix, I will fix. You know, sn S news station or whatever isn't going to give you a retraction space like I will. You can explain your position on our site. I will gladly do that. You make your corrections, and you speak your mind, I will put that on. He just got angrier and angrier with me, to the point where he threatened. He said, I want a public apology. I want. I gave you an apology, and I gave you a forum to make any corrections that you want. I think that's more than fair. No, no public apology or you're gonna hear from my lawyer. I'm like, that's it. Goodbye. So I blocked him. Well, this was like he found me on Facebook and started messaging me on Facebook, which we did not know each other. So I was a little bit freaked out about that. And meanwhile I had other people messaging me saying, you do not want to deal with this this person, he does this repeatedly. So I cut him off and I pulled the story, and I put a note as to why I pulled the story because current bigfoot news is just too absurd to warrant discussion anymore on the site. And that's when I put up that page that says, if we were wrong about something, we want to make it right. We want it to be public, the truth. We want the truth out there. We don't we don't want to repeat an error. We want to fix it.
Speaker 6: That's that's certainly a novel idea. I mean, it would it would be wonderful if a lot of the believer sites, you know, would say, well, we were wrong about something. Look, you know we touted this this you know this blob squash is a big foot. It's it's clearly your moose, and hey, we were wrong. They never do that, Yeah, they don't. They don't go ahead, Blake.
Speaker 2: I didn't interrupt it, no, no, no, I was just gonna say it's too bad. He wasn't as diligent about finding Bigfoot as he was about finding you on Facebook.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, it did show that he was a pretty good investigator.
Speaker 2: Right exactly he was. He has skills, got some mad skills, but maybe not out right he's using his powers for evil.
Speaker 1: He really needed some social skills as well.
Speaker 2: All right, So we'll put a link to your site in the show notes. But if you want to tell people real quick how they can find it. For those people too lazy to read the show notes, you knew who I'm talking to.
Speaker 1: It's doubtfulnews dot com. If you can spell doubtful, I've I've looked at the search results and some people have trouble but d O U B T f U lnews dot com and on Twitter, it's also a doubtful News on Twitter excellent. And there's also a Facebook page you could search for it and find it there.
Speaker 2: I noticed there was like this j ref weekly summary kind of thing going on. What's that all about?
Speaker 1: Well, the goal is to be to bring the news to as many people as possible, and we were all about outreach and getting people to see. One of the things about the site is I wanted the skeptics to see how much fringe and weird news is actually out there, because I don't know that they really understand that people read this stuff pass it on to their friends and think it's true. I wanted them to see that there's a lot of these strange stories coming out and it bodes well to be involved in donating to skeptical causes to sort of combat the media issues that we have to face with these kind of stories. So originally the site, I offered the syndication of the feed to skeptic dot com and they took it, so it's on the Skeptic site as well, which also it takes away from our hit count. But what's more important is that it appears in search results and people can find those stories. That's what's important. And then I offered it to the j ref as a weekly summary as a way to give them content for their blog and to just show that, you know, there's these these news stories out there that people may have missed because they're not looking at all the news feeds and Twitter feeds that I am. A lot of stories that I find are from Twitter, and then a lot of people aren't on there sharing those links or on RSS feeds that I follow from paranormal sites. So maybe I'm looking in places that people wouldn't normally look and I'm trying to bring those stories to their attention.
Speaker 3: And so would you say that you're most of your readers are skeptics or believers, or a mix of the two.
Speaker 1: There's definitely a mix. There's definitely a h I think what happens is some people will find it through search because they're interested in that topic, and they'll find it and they'll come on, especially if their name is mentioned in the story, if it's one of their news stories, if it's a psychic, a psychic will have a Google search with her name on it, and she'll find the site and then she'll come on and she'll tell me what an idiot I am. But the the ghost hunters will do that as well. They'll they'll find their names. So some religious people will come on the site. And because we have a very strict moderating policy and commenting policy, I will not allow proselytizing or name calling or long ranty posts. I'll just remove them and i'll warn people don't do this again, or or I'll moderate them and I won't approve their comments and they notice that real quick.
Speaker 6: It seems to me that that, you know, again, being being a fan of your site as well and going to it frequently, it's got to be a hell of a lot of work. How much time is this take? I mean, this is obviously, you know, unpaid volunteer. I mean a lot of crypto stuff is as well, but certainly is so what how much is this does this take?
Speaker 1: Well? I am a news junkie, you know, so I'm looking at the stories anyway. So I have like book marklets that I could use when whatever media I'm using, and I'll send the story to the site in a draft form and or I'll write them up. And all I really have to do is once I read the story, just quote the pertinent parts. And because I've I've read so much and I've been around, you know, these skeptic sites for so long, I kind of know where to go to get a good link, or if I have questions, I know where to go to get some additional information. I use a special Google search engine that can pull just from the skeptical sites to school, so I get I could get that information really really quick, So it really doesn't take that long to do the stories. Sometimes I will just throw the stories into draft and I have my co editor, my awesome co editor and support Torko Oda Guard helped me out and he'll write up the story for me as well, and I'll add commentary or something. So it does take a couple hours per day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cool because he can put extra umlauts in.
Speaker 1: Or jokes or well sometimes I have to edit what he writes because it's snarky.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's all about the tone. Okay, Well let's talk something. Let's actually talk about the news a little bit. You're run a new site. What can you tell us about what's up with Bigfoot? What's Bigfoot up to? What's going on with Bigfoot?
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, it's crazy. Bigfoot news is just crazy. Since the show Finding Bigfoot has gotten popular, it's just ramped up the interest in Bigfoot totally as a subject area. And I think it's really brought a lot of people into it either as a you know, they're looking for a little bit of cash to market Bigfoot, either on their their website or merchandise or tours or whatever. So it's it's really gotten a whole lot of attention. So a lot of these stories are coming out. There's a tremendous amount. Every day, there's new videos and new pictures, and I've learned to ignore those because they're all terrible. Once in a while, there comes a decent story that actually has some substance to it. Either there's evidence, or there's been a proposed project or like the recently, there was that one proposed by Oxford University to collect DNA evidence, and that was that was big news because Bigfoot's being taken seriously. And there was the good story a few months back about the scientists being called to Russia to look for Yetti evidence. And not only was that a good, big, big for Yetti story, but it had a whole other backstory that was interesting about tourism trying to bring people into this area of Siberia where they were promoting the Yetti as tourism. And I thought, that's fascinating to me. The idea of paranormal tourism, bringing people in to your town or to your city so they could experience something that they wouldn't be able to experience in their own town in a paranormal sense. I thought that's really interesting, and I think that a lot of lake monsters are that effect as well. So the Bigfoot thing is is a lot about money these days, and a lot about egos and notoriety, and I got real sick of it. So that's why I'm tailing it back. But we're waiting. A few months ago I posted a blog. It was sort of like a commentary on the new site. I said, produce your evidence. You've made big promises, now produce it, and we're waiting. So that's the story on Bigfoot. We're waiting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I've been doing.
Speaker 3: We're real waiting.
Speaker 1: We're getting old.
Speaker 3: And so aside from Bigfoot, what are some of your favorite crypto related stories from the past year.
Speaker 1: Oh love, I love weird animal stories. I love stories where people think they've seen something Like lately, the latest story was that people thought they saw a tiger in their neighborhood and two people appears that they were independent witnesses that they saw this big cat in their neighborhood in Washington State and it caused a lot of people to come out and the police and an emergency personnel to go and look for it. This happened a couple months back when kids said they saw a gorilla sneaking around down in the South. I mean, it's just these stories are they're so amusing because it's about perception and it's not really a monster. It's about people's perception of what could be dangerous out there in their backyards. Another recent one about somebody who took pictures of a cat in their backyard and said it was a cougar. It's a tabby cat made the news and everyone looks at these pictures and says, how could somebody have have taken this picture and thought it was anything other than a domestic cat. Well, he was kind of large. But it's about perception. I think.
Speaker 2: Was it like a forty year old cat dating like a twenty year old?
Speaker 1: The pictures were labeled cougar?
Speaker 2: I got it, okay.
Speaker 1: Other than that, yeah, I just love weird animal story. I wrote a piece for another blog about hairless creatures, how we're fascinated with anything that's hairless, these hairless carcasses that wash up on the shore, and I love those stories that the thing that washes up on the beach that nobody can identify. Those are great. And then I just wait in yeah, and I just wait for Darren Nage to come around and identify it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they threw me back in the water. They're worried.
Speaker 6: And from aross the rooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Blake, you're not hairless.
Speaker 2: That's true. I'm clearly a mammal of some sort.
Speaker 6: Well, Sharon, I'm not gonna let you off the hook on on Bigfoot again. I I because I know there's been at least two or three that I can think of off the top of my head. Cases in the last I'm going to say six or nine months of big you know, promised breathless promises of of you know, just just to wait and see next week, next month, we're going to finally have bigfoot DNA evidence. There's doctor Melbourn ketch them. There's there's a couple other ones. There was a project. Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell it. Give us give us a quick I mean I know some of them, but give us a quick rundown of some of those stories.
Speaker 1: Well here's what I thought was weird. I mean, for for decades, the cryptozoologists had always said there was no funding to go out and do these types of projects. Well now they're getting some private funding to actually do these projects. And they the money is there for them to go out and do it well. And we're getting nothing but secrets. It's just like it's coming or here's a teaser. And we had that picture a couple gee that this must have been the end of last year, very very early this year of the sasquatch that was supposedly a sash quatches, a black line picture of this very furry thing sleeping in the woods. She had a name, and the name escapes me right now, I can't remember, but they had named it, and they'd said that they were promising to have up close video of her when she was awake and you know, investigating the camera. And it was definitely a teaser. And it's been years that that project has been going on and we've got nothing. We've got nothing, and I just I can't. This may not be true. It can't have a feeling. It's like an investment scam. Give me some more money and I'll produce this project and it never shows up. The ketchup stuff went really, really weird when she started to take pictures of sticks in the woods and saying she was seeing these things. I will visit the Bigfoot forums.
Speaker 6: She's apoplectic, Blake, Sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Have to agree with her. It's one of the weirdest things in the world. She's like, I feel so lucky to be able to watch a family of five bigfoot wander around. And it's like, I don't need to take pictures of them. It's just I feel really special to be able to see this. I would feel special too.
Speaker 1: I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt from the beginning. She's a scientist, she must have something. We're going to listen to what she has to say. And I go to these bigfoot forums and I watch. I don't usual to participate because that doesn't usually work out too well, but I watched both what these people are. They believe because they have their own own sense of evidence and they may have had their personal experiences. They are very critical of her. Even the believers are becoming extremely critical her very strange.
Speaker 2: In Ketchum's case in particular, it is good and skeptical to point out that even though she says she's able to apparently at leisure watch bigfoot, a family of five or whatever wander around in the woods, that doesn't mean her DNA techniques are bad or anything. What's more troubling to me is that we haven't seen the results, and there's been a lot of excuses and delays and other things. But adding stories like that, like this is the ease with which I can capture Bigfoot in my eyes, but I can't pick up the camera and take a picture with a camera. It seems that's disturbing to me. That's disturbing to me.
Speaker 1: I can understand that scientific papers do take a long time and various edits, and especially with this type of topic, I imagine it's quite controversial for reviewers to have to look at this thing, but it is. It is very strange. And besides that that that basic thing of getting the paper published, there's again an extremely weird backstory of how the samples were collected and if something was if Bigfoot was shot, and if if you know, pieces were collected off of bigfoots that were shot.
Speaker 4: It's just weird.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of the Raelians and their cloning claims. Yeah, years ago, right.
Speaker 6: You don't know, you don't know what to think of these people, even the Georgia Bigfoot body in the freezer. It's just it's just it's just amazing. You see the same pattern. You know, we've all been following crypto stories for years now, and it's funny. It's like for a lot of people, they they just latch onto the latest story. They don't have any perspective. They don't realize that these same Thames, you know, this is like nineteen ninety five all over again. We're seeing the exact same stuff. It's like, dude, this is you know, we were there the first time that they claimed that they have this. You know, I have to explain those to people. It's like, oh my god, here they had big lad day. I'm like, really again, oh awesome.
Speaker 3: Reinventing the crypto wheel.
Speaker 1: And they'll say like, well, why would these people lie? Oh? Come on?
Speaker 2: You know, I think people fail to realize that, even if there's no money involved, there's a lot of prestige in having your name involved with these kind of stories in the news, you know, and getting attention. Right, I should have said attention to seat of prestige. But people people find. You know, people's value systems can be very different for your own. And it's really hard to say what would make someone do a hoax, but they do. They certainly do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one thing we know exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so changing gears just a little bit. Has the zombie apocalypse begun? Because it seems like maybe the zombie apocalypse has begun.
Speaker 1: Isn't that weird? It's like a zombie flap, you know, like when you see you Fox flaps and then everybody starts seeing UFOs. It's sort of the way it feels to me. Everybody's sort of doing a cannibal thing.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I think that's all a metaphor for the media myself. Man, I bet you have a theory on this right.
Speaker 6: On the zombies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we saw the article.
Speaker 6: Well you're talking about the original Haitian zombies.
Speaker 1: Just no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Pop culture the thing, the thing that happens when the news has a story about a man eating another man's face and then suddenly and suddenly all the other newspapers see, oh my gosh, the how many hits they're getting. We better find some stories like that. Yeah, that's what I think is happening.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what happened is I I got a I got an email from Discovery News like last week, you know who I write for, and they said, you know, can you write you know, there's this can you write about a zombie apocalypse, and I wrote back, I said, I said, I said, this is bullshit. I mean, I said, you know, I read this story said there's nothing you know, you know, we we have you know, this this alleged cannibal, you know, the guy who's high on on on bath sauce whatever it was. And uh and you know he wasn't he wasn't consuming the guy's face, he was naked, he had no weapons on his I mean, so it's like you have this, this this kernel that that even has nothing to do with zombies. It's only vaguely related to cannibalism, and of course that's immediately turned into this whole thing. And it's it's just amazing how the media does that. And you know, I mean it's at this point is predictable, but it's just it's just bizarre and and frankly, you know, I mean it's all fun to you know, joke about the zombie apocalypse this and that, but you know that it's it's important to remember that there's real cases here. I mean, there there was a man that was killed. You know, this is this is you know, the man had friends and family and things like that, and so you know, it's all it's all all good to sort of, you know, have this pop culture me meme about zombies and cannibals, but you know, there are real victims and these are real crimes.
Speaker 2: Right because in the end, the man was shot just for defacing private property. No good.
Speaker 1: I did get criticized for putting the word zombie apocalypse in the title of one of the stories that that was very insensitive. But the reason I did that because that's what the media was was hyping, right, they were putting, they were putting the package on these stories and delivering them to the public. That's the way they were delivering them. So that's what I wanted to address.
Speaker 2: It may be I don't know if it's tragic, but it is certainly a product of the media in that if we don't personally know the person who died, and there's a bizarre aspect of the story, it's really hard to empathize when you know, in these bizarre situations with the victims. I mean it just at least I have trouble because they seem so unreal. You know, they don't seem much different from a TV show in some ways. But you're right. But but Ben's absolutely right that a real person died and another real person was horribly made or what's the right word disfigured. So yeah, both victims, both were victims.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And speak speaking of that, like, there's this new thing about the hoax virus. There's there's a hoax going on in the Internet where there's a zombie virus, and this hoaxer claimed that the person who committed this crime had this virus, and apparently some people believe that that is true because it's, you know, showed up on snopes dot com and it's going around the internet.
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it real? Is there a zombie virus that causes you to act like this? So I think that rational people underestimate the ability of other people to be irrational, and they will buy into these things in the media and pass them on to the people that they know, and it just spreads. It's a meme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing. I think fa this book is alleviating my inbox a little bit because a lot of people are using that as their methodology for spreading Internet rumors and urban legends and that sort of thing. And it's a lot easier to unfriend someone on Facebook than it is to stop a relative from emailing you, But I still do get a lot of stuff that I just resolve with a quick Snope search, and that's yeah, it's great. But also I think your service here is good as well, because you take a more current story. It takes sometimes weeks or months before the Mickelson's can get the story up on Snopes, you know, but you know when you have something where you can immediately at least throughout a few skeptical observations about how might this story be wrong or maybe the coverage is misleading, or is there really as many facts available as they say? That kind of thing, and you're just sprinkling it with doubt, which means you're well named, right, So I think that's a good public service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think all of these sites working well together. But I think we were sort of touched upon this briefly. But what's the latest in mangi decaying animal news?
Speaker 1: Oh, I haven't seen any too recently. Let's see, there was Sometimes you see these things come up and it's just like, are you kidding me? This really isn't This isn't news. This is a fake somebody sent you a hoax. It did show up on another website and I look at it and I try to decide is this going to go widespread? Is this story going to have legs and leave the one website and go all over the place. And sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. I just a long time ago, I decided to pass on the story about this woman who had captured a picture on her cell phone of ghosts having sex in her living room. Do you recall that? Do you recall that I passed on it because I said that it is so stupid, I'm not going to put that up on the website. And it went everywhere. It just blew up and it became such a big story. And I'm like, oh, that was oops, you know, missed that one. So and then I've had some that I've put up, like I said that if backfired, and just it's they've just been too stupid and they haven't gone anywhere. But I haven't seen any animal weird animal carcasses show up for a while. That meme has passed. We're not seeing that come up as much anymore. That was a big deal for like two years, where every hairless dead thing was a cheap ofcapra.
Speaker 2: Given some time. Summer's here bloating.
Speaker 6: True, I'm just waiting. Well, it seems like it seems like your two main interests are cryptozoology and ghosts, if I'm not mistaken, What what is it that attracts you about those instead of you know, UFOs or psychics or other things like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, ever since I was a kid, I would read read books on monsters. You know, you're always in the zeros are a one section of your library, and I'd read all those books, and UFOs scared me for a while when I would read like Whitley Strieber's books, and I got a little scared about those, and then that passed, and then and UFOs seemed too technological to me, and that I always I really like animals, and of course I'm a scientist, so I was always one for bug collecting and animal watching and stuff like that. So I think that's what draws me to the cryptozoology, wondering if there's something more out there that we don't know about. So that's the animal aspect that draws me into the monsters. The ghost I don't know. I've just always been interested in a haunted house, that's so fascinated by it. But I also really love the natural anomalies. I've done a lot of research into things like earthquake precursors and animal behavior before earthquakes, and earthquake lights, earthquake sounds, earthquake weather, and then things like luminous phenomenon and mystery sounds. I've done pieces on those. So when they were in the beginning of this year, there was this big deal about these mystery sounds, and I found that amusing. And then the year before that there was all these things about mass animal deaths. So it just seems January always brings some sort of horrible sign of the apocalypse. Two eleven it was the mass animal deaths, and then twenty twelve it was these strange sky noises. So I'm sure the end of this year is going to be wild with with twenty twelve type stories. I'm we're expecting to have lots of those as well.
Speaker 2: I've actually been dealing with the apocalypse since the seventies because growing up in my church, they were big advocates for the was it Hal Lindsay and the late Great planet Earth and that whole millennialum millennial millennium millennialism. Yeah yeah, so uh, I mean it's in Georgia at least. I mean, I a year doesn't go by, maybe a season doesn't go by, where someone I personally know, my family or or here on the street mentions that it looks like the end of times are here. And this has nothing to do with the minds in twenty twelve. Just everybody's looking for the apocalypse down here. I don't know why. I probably eat the heat, I guess.
Speaker 1: And these zombies aren't helping either.
Speaker 2: They're not helping it all here and they're not helping at all. But anyway, that was really a question, my question for you. I guess it's time to round things up because it's ten o'clock. But I shouldn't say what time it is because it's timeless. This show is timeless. But we like to ask all our guests. And I'm sure you know this already.
Speaker 1: I know this already, right, What are you wearing?
Speaker 2: What's your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, have you been a monster face my whole life? This is a really tough question, but you know, because I love sea serpents. I've always been fascinated with sea serpents because I think that that could be real thing that's really out there and it could be a number of different types of species that could potentially be out there. And I loved the Black Dog Legends. You know, you had the guest on a couple of weeks ago, a couple episodes ago. I went out and bought that book because I love Black Dog Legends. They're so creepy, you know. They involved like sort of cryptid, haunted debons all rolled into one. A lot of fun. But I have to say, and I think I've told you this before, we had a group dinner at TAM one time where we went around the table and asked our favorite monsters.
Speaker 2: We sure did. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I have to say I've always been fascinated with the Jersey Devil. I'm in Pennsylvania, so I was sort of familiar with the Pine barrens and the towns that actually Jersey Devil did terrorize parts of Pennsylvania in the big Flap of nineteen o six or nineteen oh nine, whatever it was, and those towns in Bucks County were affected by this creature and it just caused massysteria. And what I like about the Jersey Devil is he's this weird hybrid of you know, horse bat devil thing or kangaroo. I mean people were exhibiting painted kangaroos and calling it the Jersey Devil. He became a side show, and I just was fascinated the idea of the perception and what people thought was really happening. And maybe there was a large bird that was coming through the area and the crane or whatever and caused people to react strangely to it because they weren't familiar with it. So yeah, I'd have to say the Jersey Devil, he's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: I think he has a lot in common with the Chupacabra, actually, I suspect, so yeah.
Speaker 3: Lots of monster's in one very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever you want him to be, he can be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It made it even better when when it turned out that there was like a political backstory to it as well, that the formation of the legend of the Leads Devil. That was something I hadn't heard before and I thought that was interesting. So all these aspects and people still out looking for him.
Speaker 2: That's also amazing to me. Yeah. Yeah, I mean, just there's really no I guess that's another creature that if creationist wanted to find a creature that would have some kind of impact on evolution. There's your there's your monster right there. I mean, I don't think you need to go to Africa like for dinosaurs, because we know dinosaurs are real. Uh but but the Jersey Devil doesn't look like anything.
Speaker 1: Right, so cool stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any any monster that has four limbs plus wings is a real serious problem for evolution.
Speaker 1: And leaves the footprints on your roof.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's awesome.
Speaker 2: So great answer, good choice. All right, Well, thank you so much than spending some time with us.
Speaker 6: Sharon say, thanks, thanks guys on good job on the site.
Speaker 1: Thank you, come visit Morebstertle.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. We were talking today with Sharon Hill about the Doubtful News website, and we also heard from Brian Thompson of the James Randy Educational Foundation about the amazing meeting. Karen, Ben and I will be at TAM twenty twelve. We'd love to see you there. Maybe we can all hook up for a Monster Talk fan meal. Whatever the case. Just come up and say hello, we'd love to meet you in person. We really will be updating the show notes with the producer's page. That's really going to happen. Just bear with me. My new job, which I absolutely love, is taking up a lot of my time. But things should calm down after we launch our website and I can get back to monster talk maintenance. I want to thank Robert Smith, James Roach, and Bill Redlick for their kind donations. Our current big project is our transcript work, which is helping new listeners find us and making it possible for authors to quote Monster Talk on Wikipedia and other projects. We really appreciate your contributions. Check out our social media and other contact information on our homepage at monster talk dot org. Come join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let us know how we're doing by giving us reviews on iTunes. We are an official podcast of Skeptic magazine and proud of it. The opinions you hear on Monster Talker those of the people talking and not of the people baying the bills. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys and seriously, people, thank you so much for listening to this show. Hungry for more skepticism want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field to subscribe. Visit skeptic dot com today