Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Be there. I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. Now. When we last left, I left you on a cliffhanger. Did Matthew Brossard show up? Of course he showed up. I don't know. I saw one of the bus. Of course he showed up. He was fantastic. We did about forty five minutes raw with We had a technical snafpoo in the middle, so I'll take the break there. What happened was he had his ring light plugged in but not his phone, and his phone ran all the way down to zero. So all of a sudden you'll hear him drop out mid sentence. I'll explain that when we get to it. He's got a new special. It is called Hyperbolic. It is his full length debut special. In Hyperbolic, Matthew Bisard dives into painfully personal experiences growing up Cajun Jewish and a waspy Southern prep school, the challenges of millennial masculinity, is the bread loser to a former pro athlete, and candid stories about mental health struggles in his family, plus some oddly keen sidebars into grammar, etymology, pharmaceutical origin stories. And statistics. If you've heard me interview comedians in the past, this is a typical ride. We'll get into the structure of comedy. We'll talk a little crowd work, feeding the Beast, his favorite comedians, some comedy snobbery on my part. He turned me on to some people that weren't on my radar, and I really enjoyed. Mattie restart. Where are you today?
Speaker 3: I'm in my apartment in Brooklyn and sitting here. My fiance's out taking her Paris to the museum. So thank you for giving me an excuse to bail on in law entertainment.
Speaker 2: How'd you wind up in Brooklyn by way.
Speaker 3: Of Corpus Christy, Atlanta, Houston, LA? And then ended up here to.
Speaker 2: Work comedy out of New York as post LA.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I was dating my fiance who lived in Austin. I lived in LA and we wanted a place where we could both kind of do in the best version of the careers we were seeking.
Speaker 2: So she was a swimmer. You were a swimmer. Did you guys meet as swimmers or did you meet as commons?
Speaker 3: No, she was a swimmer. I did not swim on that level. I swam as a recreational swimmer. She was like a professional old dudes.
Speaker 2: I read an article yea, yeah, yeah, old dudes like me in the pool and you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I was a I worked for the swim team in college, so I kind of knew of her through swimming. She knew of me through friends in swimming. In comedy, but yeah, just I was mostly I found her because she was a pro swimmer who I was a fan of and thought was very attractive.
Speaker 2: So did you get her into comedy or is that just an independent thing?
Speaker 1: Independent thing?
Speaker 3: I would say it's more she liked me because she was interested in comedy.
Speaker 1: And was doing improv when we met.
Speaker 2: Do you do shows together?
Speaker 3: Yes, so she comes into features from me on the road. Fantastic, Yeah, and it's pretty fun. We started doing Q and A at the end of the shows. It's it's neat. I have to tweak my set a little bit, because there's there's just no world in which there's no world in which you don't you don't know. Even people can be very stupid, people can be very smart. Most people understand when one comic is here from New York City who's featuring, Well, they didn't fly here to do twenty minutes, so clearly they may have come along with the headliner, and that we are the same age and share a lot of the similar demographics, it's not unreasonable to assume that we are partners. And even beyond that, the biography, the dual biography, you'd have to be pretty dense to not figure out that my professional swimmer fiance turned comedian was not her. Though some crowds have very much surprised me. I've had people after the show after I've set everything go. So just question. I noticed as she mentioned a lot of the things you mentioned, was that your fiance like they're Sherlock Holmes, and do.
Speaker 2: You guys get along in terms of like if you do fiance jokes. Does she understand the difference between the character the fiance or does that spill over? Yeah, back to Brooklyn, I think we all get it.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 3: You have to kind of force some details through for the sake of narrative and character, and you might have to embellish details. And I think we both understand that. And there are things that are said about us that are not accurate. But luckily we go up there and get to represent ourselves. So I say better than in most relationships where the other partner has no voice besides mocking impression.
Speaker 1: I have been.
Speaker 3: Really trying in my comedy to be extremely truthful. I do try to keep the stories pretty accurate, so at least on a detail space, especially about my mom.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of stories about my mom on the special that are.
Speaker 3: My favorite jokes, and it feels like cheating because I don't have to make up anything. The details all happened as I told them, sometimes even a little more ridiculous than the story I told. And my mom doesn't like certain details. I read a note she wrote on stage. It's the one pushback I've ever gotten from her.
Speaker 2: Oh what did she say?
Speaker 3: She doesn't like it. She sent this note, and you can if you want to hear the note. I think it's the I think it's my favorite thing I've ever talked about on stage is this note. It's the funniest thing I think I've accomplished. But the note is from my mom to my fiance for her birthday. And I told her I'm going to read this and say. She goes, okay, fine, whatever you want to do. I don't get why it's funny, and then she came through a show where I read it out loud and she heard everyone laughing, and she still can't understand why it's funny. She still can't understand why people are laughing at this thing. She goes and they're laughing at me, and I have to explain her, No, they're more laughing at how earnest you are. It's not that anyone thinks. It's that people feel the things you're feeling. It's just so rare and interesting and funny to hear them so baldly expressed. I mean, there's a lot of stories about my mom that I have, and a lot of stories with my parents they have in my back pocket that I don't realize are good for comedy until I just tell them to someone and I realize they are not a normal experience.
Speaker 2: Do you have a home club where you work stuff out?
Speaker 1: Home club the celler, But I don't work out stuff there.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, yeah. I work out stuff more on the road, So when I have a full hour, I like to That's where I tend to stretch out, because if that's strange fallus. The difference is work it out in the city, take it to the road, absolutely opposite of the road, there's so much more leeway. They're already there to see you, whereas the club is just in the city is so competitive. It's like, I don't even know if it's a great training ground. I think it's just it's more of a showcase. It's where you go to prove yourself every night, not to improve yourself.
Speaker 2: So how will you work things in? Are you like, say, I don't know, thirty eight minutes in playing stuff that you know lands and you're like, all right, feel in the moment here, let me just yeah, try something.
Speaker 3: Touch it where you know it's safe, feel the momentum, and when you have it, be ready for it to all go away very quickly. When you're a new joke doesn't work, and learn how to sneak things in where it fits because a lot of time because like the best jokes I had wouldn't work by themselves. It's just that they're propped up by a lot of material around it. So it's that structuring. And then sometimes I've started to do a little thing where I just kind of tell the crowd this is the new section and just have all those kind of fail safe So what I miss is, you know, just go well, that did not.
Speaker 1: Work the way I hoped, And you know you usually get a little last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because as an audience member, we're all in it together, especially if you tell us like, hey, you know, I'm trying stuff out here and you make the Bob Hope face of oops, that didn't like you know, that's fun to be in the room.
Speaker 1: Yes, the more successfully are, the more you get away with that.
Speaker 3: I have bachelor atte parties who never didn't know who I was when they bought the tickets and probably won't again after the show, who don't have the patience for my artistic process.
Speaker 2: So you talked about dropping something into a successful set. I've really been on my soapbox this year. That tiktokization of comedy now of you know, here's crowd work or here's a good slam, and I feel like we're starting to lose the art of an arc man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, buddy, I'm already a member. I've already a remember this church. You don't need to preach to me. I it upsets me. I go back and forth because on one hand, the modular form joke is a strength of mine. I am not a full on jazz on like Mark normand but I do have jokes that I can extract thirty to ninety seconds in length that are a good meal, a full piece of comedy, and that has served me very well on social media. And that I have modular form jokes. I didn't get into comedy to do that. I like jokes that pay off just kind of you get a sense of completion, a couple of lasts and a good circularity that a joke requires. But this doing this special was I debated if it was worth doing. I'm still debating if it's worth doing. I'm going to be able to extract a lot of clips out of with you WAT, And I think there's going to be structure in ARC. It's not a full hour structure, but there are three chunks that each kind of have their own theme to it. And this is not meant to be study. This is not meant to be like some you'll feel the thing where you want and if you're even watching passingly, I think there's a real good density of jokes throughout. So I don't know, I don't like that that shortening of attention span. I do think you kind of you know things moving cycles. I think that attention span kind of hit the bottom kind of hit that plank length and now it's kind of broadening back out.
Speaker 1: And I would attribute.
Speaker 3: Josh Johnson's success to that as well as his talents. But Josh Johnson is going so far the other way now, and I think there's an appetite for something that's more than twelve seconds.
Speaker 2: Sure, and you know, you know, I get too close to it, as you know somebody who is a fan and studies this. I recently went to see Craig Ferguson and he made a random reference like eight minutes in, and the back of my brain spent the next forty minutes going, he's going to bring that back, He's going to bring that. My wife's just sitting there as a civilian enjoying a good show, and I'm analyzing the structure in my head, and like sometimes that drives me insane when I do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turn off the left brain. Yeah, the check out. I love that.
Speaker 3: You could spot the Chekhov's guns 's comedy. Yeah, that's exactly what that is. That's that's funny. Uh, there's there's comics.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't I don't mind the you know, you can feel your.
Speaker 3: Left brain working. It's like I imagine how like a coach feels watching a game. When you watch out of the comedian who are the comedians?
Speaker 1: Who were?
Speaker 3: Your left brain turns off and you start to feel like you're not a comedian.
Speaker 2: So, you know the tree that starts with Stephen Wright threw Hebberg into Dimitri and whoever else you want to put on that tree. You know, that's sort of just random, like, oh, your brain works different than differently than Melfanakis.
Speaker 3: And I would say, now, right now, Casey Rocket is probably the greatest successor.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know Casey. I want to check Casey out immediately.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know, I'll get too close to it and I'll you know, i'll see the okay that happened, that's exaggerated for effect, that didn't happen at all. But it's funny like and you know, I hate that part of it. So I like going for the ride when I get a belly laugh of someone saying something that I didn't at all see coming I treasure.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's a wonderful feeling.
Speaker 3: I had that with a what's his name Chad Daniels joke this week, and he's such a traditional comic and a very good comic, but he had a punchline that it just knocked me on my ass because it was it was couched in such a traditional joke about men and women and parents and and and marriages that when I when I heard the.
Speaker 1: Punchline, it just it just got me.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I would like to think it another in terms of it, how does your what what is your brain?
Speaker 1: Look like?
Speaker 3: Casey Rocket's great, but he's already more successful than me. So when am I getting out of this? Andrew Cassertano is a name that I hope everyone starts hearing more.
Speaker 1: It is. It is that true alt weird but still kills in a club.
Speaker 3: Andrew Cassertano, That's a that's a great name that I'd recommend to you.
Speaker 1: Sean Patton does that for me.
Speaker 3: Sean Patten's the guy where I lose track of what's the structure, what's the pattern, and just kind of enjoy myself because he seems to be on a ride every set, especially live. There's no game plan, there's no map or not one that I can see, and if there is one, I don't know how He's so good.
Speaker 2: The one I loved this year, My favorite Bit of the Year is Kyle Kanaane's chunk on Fast and Furious, just because he gets up a full head of steam. Yeah, and it's just fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He can have such strong opinions on such minutia, and I mean his Trader Joe's bit is one of my favorite of all time because it builds off of just a small inspiration. He builds characters and a scene. Do you know that one from I think it was like his first or second album might be from Death of a Party like his first album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, as we're talking about studying it. I had the pleasure of working with the Carlin estate put together George Carlin Radio for Serious in Another Life and his manager, Jerry Hamsa, sat down and what we tried to do with the station was build the sets the way Jeorge did. Carlin did, and George Hamsa, the manager, explained to me like he couldn't just come out and do these big arcs. So Carlin would come out and do a bunch of rat a tat tat jokes for a couple of minutes and then do the long arc And it really educated me on changing speeds, changing volume, and taking the audience for that ride, but you can't just like I love him. But I saw Stephen writ one time, and Stephen Wright for ten minutes, fifteen minutes, Oh my god, I love him for an hour and ten. My brain was mud. It's tough, and I'm not here to bash Steven, but it was just like, I can't anymore.
Speaker 1: I hear you.
Speaker 3: Ronnie Chang gave me a good, long lesson about how to build a good hour. It's twenty minutes of ratatat and it was twenty minutes of kind of a more theme joke, and then a twenty minute story to take it.
Speaker 1: Home, and each of those ask to circum lay into me.
Speaker 3: But it's you're right, you have to say not every So when I started comedy, the real.
Speaker 1: Pie in the sky was late night. That was the thing.
Speaker 3: We all wanted to do five minutes for Conan or Fallon or Leno and Letterman or whatever.
Speaker 1: And you thought about doing a perfect five minute set.
Speaker 3: And I had the impression that a lot of young camicks have is that an hour, a great hour is twelve late night sets. And that's just impossible. I don't know anyone who's really done that. I don't know the brain could handle that the consumer can handle.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: I think a lot to Kumail nan Gianni's first and only special, Beta Mail, where he does thirty minutes very observational, pretty pretty run on the mill, and then thirty minutes of just one pretty long story. Oh and Jesus, Hannibal Buris, who's really one of my tough is maybe my favorite app My favorite special all time is Animal Furnace, but he has that Miami Nights, which is hard to find. Now he does ky twenty five minutes up top of his traditional style. It's great, but you know hannibalim so it doesn't knock do on your ass the way he used to and you're like, okay, well that's okay. And then at the minute twenty five he tells a thirty five minute story that is just in top gear the entire time. It's just such an incredible special. It doesn't slow down. You think, how can this story keep producing more plot points and laughs? And it's cool to see an artist evolved. I remember when jasel Nick the second half of Like What was It? The Thoughts and Prayers where he turns the story over to the death threats his family and that whole thing. I loved seeing when comics can change years. I love seeing what any artists can move away from a genre they've perfected into a scarier new realm and still succeed. I'm always rooting for the artist and whatever new stuff they're trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, you run the risk of the fans turning on you.
Speaker 3: Though always, But you got to make what you like or you might as well have a desk job.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you I was one of the people, and I was wrong who When the late period Corlin stuff came out, I didn't like it. I thought it was angry.
Speaker 1: It just didn't soundn't like it either.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty years later, he's the great profit of the twenty first century. It just you play that stuff and it's like, oh, did you record this earlier today, even though you've been dead for fifteen years, But at the time wasn't feeling it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hicks as well too, I am in my current Well you know what, they're both dead. I'm not a huge fan of there prea too late stuff. It doesn't do as much for me. I loved it as a kid, but it's I like a little more light hearted heartedness. Though after Trump lanning, I am not a fan of Trump. I do currently value a little more explicit point of view from people whose politics I agree with.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: I've been listening to people on stage be a little more upfront about their anger and disappointment with things, and it is quite soothing.
Speaker 1: When your girl just lost.
Speaker 2: So for your particular style, you know, I would be surprised if I would see you tonight and you did political material. But are you letting your feelings? Are you telegraphing it to the audience, or it's just not what you do.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone.
Speaker 3: I would be surprised if anyone couldn't figure out my political leanings after twenty minutes of comedy.
Speaker 1: But I'm not overt with it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's the place for it for me. We were all kind of a I have done a lot of political comminat I've put out. I've put out some I put out a set foth Comedy Central that was pretty overt and it was I've not really taken that tone before, and it was well received online. I haven't felt the urge to go after it again. I kind of did it more as a therapy and it served me well.
Speaker 1: This new hour is not very political.
Speaker 3: Little politics on the stage, but it's not as fun to address that on It's like a lot of things, it's fun if it comes into this frame. Right now, I'm talking more about myself and stories.
Speaker 2: And I happened to be at New Faces in twenty fifteen when you went up, Oh Wow, were you were one of them that popped. I put up the list right before I jumped on with you. But I definitely remember you because you know, you did your handsome villain from the movie's joke, and I always remembered it.
Speaker 3: Never use the word handsome, by the way, never I once heared that word on stage. A lot of people correct, okay, but a lot of people say that I said that about myself, and I'm like, I can't use that word. If I use that word, I would lose the crowd. It's good you heard that word, because that's when I'm hoping to imply. But the word handsome has never kind of come out of my mouth self referentially on a stage, at least not in many years.
Speaker 1: Because the few times it has, it is not served me.
Speaker 3: Well, you are a handsome Thank you. I appreciate that, but I appreciate that. I'm glad you think.
Speaker 2: So how was how was that experience for you? So at that point, if you're doing New Faces, you're not signed, right, you're like pretty new into this. How do you even get new?
Speaker 1: I was signed?
Speaker 2: Okay, So what happened right there? That's when he got disconnected? So I just you know, sent around for a couple of minutes, and you know, well, let's pretend that I just talked to myself and told you about his special Hyperbolic, which is on YouTube December tenth, that's Tuesday. Anyway, it kind of works out because I have to chop up the interview and stick the commercial so where anyway, so I might as well stick it here, be right back, all right? When I last left you, I had said to you mad hey, you weren't wrapped at that time, and he was correcting me, and then his phone cut out. So when we're picking up the conversation, as Johnny, Max stupidly said at New Faces, you weren't repped, and he was correcting me, saying, no, he did have an agent and hadn't had one for about five years, if I remembering correctly, And then I said something like, oh yeah, I was confused between New Faces Unrepped. Anyway, let's jump back into the conversation. The last thing I heard was you had been signed, So you're reminding me I'm mistaken. Obviously, there's a different show called Unrepped, right, so new Faces, you're repped, and then there's Unwrapped. But you were new Faces.
Speaker 1: That's right. I was New Faces regular.
Speaker 3: The whole system's a stam and everyone's pushed him through their agents, and people who get it aren't exactly getting a big break. They've already made it and they're just being jfl makes it so someone can take credit for discovering someone who's already very well on their way. I will tap dance on that grave until they have power to give me something else. Then they need to play nice again.
Speaker 2: But they're back.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, cool, cool, good for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had auditioned. It was my third time, so I got it pretty quick. I had auditioned in Austin when I was maybe two years into comedy, and then I auditioned again once my first year in LA and didn't get it, but I felt pretty good. And my third year I auditioned and got it, and I had I've been on Comedy Central once and I had some stuff going on with MTV and E mostly MTV, and got it and went there and did it, and it was the next year that things took off for me. More so a year after that, I did Conan and Roast Battle in the same summer, and that was that was a big break for me. The JFL was a weird time for me because I did the set and I remember the set being fine. I remember not loving now it went, but no, it probably went good enough, but that being one of the last luster parts of the week for me, they signed me up for Roast Battle because there's every comic who goes there, they're supposed to give you another set to do while you're there, and they didn't have one for me, so they put me in a Roast Battle.
Speaker 1: I had no real experience with it, and.
Speaker 3: I was annoyed because like I wanted to do stand up, I didn't want to do I didn't want to write jokes about another person. And the first night I went really poorly and I went against Jack Knight and we were both trying to lose, and he won it losing, and that meant I went from the whatever sixteen down to the top eight, so I had to do it again, and I didn't want to do it, and I was going to skip it, and Jeff Ross was like please, So I wrote four jokes pretty quick. I went up and did them, and that night went well. I had some momentum and I won that night. And then the third night, now I'm down to the top four. Exponential Decay is pretty strong, and that night was the best night of my life because Roast Battle was at like midnight, so there was no other shows competing with it. At JFL, you have what a couple dozen shows a day for a month, all these showcases and weird hours all day, all long shows, shows, show shows, and at midnight everyone's done. So all the comics and all the agents and all the industry come to this Roast Battle. There's a really fun thing to watch if you do comedy or are around comedy or a lot of people love it, just love it. I had agents, My agents couldn't get in to see it. By the third night. It was that big of an event, and I had all this pressure on my shoulder. I was staying up till six writing. I was doing everything I could to have joke five jokes ready. I went against kshevver Wilson. He did really really well.
Speaker 1: I did love him.
Speaker 3: I did a little bit better, and I went on to the final round against Jimmy Carr and that was where how'd that go?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: He's pretty good at that kind of stuff, mean short jokes. But the third night was the night that my people started to know who I was in the industry, because everyone was watching and everyone was rooting for me because I was the underdog. I was the American who kind of came out of nowhere, who had nothing else to his name. So you always you always kind of root for the little guy in a roast battle, and that was that was a big turn for me. I still don't really consider myself like a roast or a roast battle comic, but I do like jokes.
Speaker 2: I feel like the next Comedy Central. Sorry Netflix, I'm living the past. Netflix roast will will be hard to perform at because the Tom Brady roast did crush. I watched that live and it was very funny.
Speaker 1: I wrote for some of that.
Speaker 3: I wrote for I won't name who, but you could easily figure it out one of the comedians up there.
Speaker 2: I just feel like the bar is going to be so high in the expectation is going to be so high that I would be one to sit out other than the paycheck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really good. It did really well. I did not expect it would be. They put a lot into making it a very good thing. That mean it was belowated it.
Speaker 3: They could have used half the number of people up there, So next time they'll probably have forty different people and it'll be seven hours long. But yeah, I think the next one's going to be as long as they invest in good writers and good talent, I think they could. They could bring that back because I think the the celebrity roast and Roast Battle are things that will always have a great audience, and right now there's no real form for host Battle, and I hope someone brings that back.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not waxing your car here, but that New Faces said it was really good. I'm looking at the list, and there were some people on there. Now I saw all twenty. I don't remember seeing say Langston Kerman or Alex Edelman, who have had great careers. I remember you. I remember Vlad Camanio. I thought it would be further along than maybe he is right too, lad crush that night. Yeah, I do remember John Ridnitski. Yeah he got snl off that, but I think Lauren used him in like three sketches.
Speaker 3: And John Radnitzki, I want to tell that's a great story because he was no one, and I don't think a lot of people expected him to get that. He was on his way as an actor or doing okay as an actor at that point. She came up to me and and we're doing all of our JFL stuff, which is miserable. You do these early you know, a prelims competition and a regular competition, and the crowds are bad and you get three minute sets or whatever. And John said, I think I'm gonna do something different. And I said, John, you don't want to. You don't want to take a risk with this. Do your best material.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: He goes, now, I got this new thing now where it's all music. And I don't say anything, and I go, okay, good luck, John, best of luck to you, you know, your funeral kind of thing. And he goes up there and he did the flash dance song.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 3: He just danced to the flash dance song. Doesn't say a fricking word the whole time. And he had the best set of anyone on that show, on the showcases, all of it, and that set, without using one word got am snl, so pretty pretty neat set in the history of JFL.
Speaker 2: It was solid, all right. So I was on Threads, just on Threads because I get some comedy news there, and I was laught. Think at the timing, I see you whatever we do on threads, thread, You're right, I'm having trouble getting booked on comedy podcasts right now because they're busy influencing geopolitics, and I'm like, this, poor guy just got booked on my dumb shows. So I mean, I don't care about that, totally get it. Are you having trouble getting booked?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a lot of rejections I'm getting. Man, Oh boy, oh boy. I feel like a high schooler again. I'm sending you know, messages to very successful Carlis whom I'm in friends with. Some am not getting no's or getting ignored. You know, it's uh, it hurts real bad. I don't know at what point in your life you have enough success to stop feeling rejection like you're you know, got turned down to prom or don't get to sit at the cool kids table. But man, oh man, that that feeling is as raw as it ever was. Yeah, and some of the people I reached out to jd Vance or Trump on their podcast lately, so you can put that together. So Okay, I guess, I guess it makes sense that I'm not the top with their list. A guy who has following on Instagram and hasn't been on TV in five years.
Speaker 1: It's not exactly you know, prime real estate of the YouTube.
Speaker 2: They don't want to pretape for the holidays and take some time off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but it's it's it's just it's insane to me how outsized the influence of comedy podcasts has become.
Speaker 1: It's it's like, who is really the mainstream media at this point?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you know, the big media conspiracy. I've worked in radio and media Chasened for thirty years now. I've never actually run into the conspiracy. It's it's dudes like me running things and like we just show up and go, all right, what should we make today?
Speaker 3: It's I know, I'm a Jew, I feel the same way. And that was another thing of people during Roast Battle.
Speaker 1: It was either, do you think these are just murmurs? Online? People were like, oh was it rigged? Did they rig roast battle?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I would be thrilled if they had enough organization to even consider reggae things. I literally no one checked my jokes. I walked out there. I said them, there was no plan. There's not enough people making money to read to choose who won it. Buddy, I'm happy if they pronounced my name correctly.
Speaker 2: Take one more break. We'll come back with Matthew in a second's new special Hyperbolic out of December tenth. So I promise I won't devolve this into just reading what you posted on social media. But you had one other one that spoke to me, because I think the point is so on. You wrote, want to know how hard it is to be a woman. People hate Yoko o O more than Mark David Chapman. There was like, wow, he's.
Speaker 3: Right, dude, dude, people hate Yoko Ono so much, they hate him so much her. Sorry, Yeah, it's crazy how which people hate women. And I always knew it was bad, but in comedy in particular. Just read the comments section on YouTube of any woman doing comedy. My fiance you know, watch her do comedy and just the response sheet just what women have to deal with, especially online, but even in person. I noticed it with myself with I open on the road for bigger comics, and sometimes we end up in more rural places, and a lot of my jokes are built where I make fun of women, and then I will kind of flip it around and make fun of men, just just for the sake of symmetry, just because it's a great structure to have things kind of collapse back in on themselves. And you know, when I perform in a city, I typically I hear the men laughing at the part making fun of.
Speaker 1: Women, and I do the joke about the men. I hear the women kind of get the haha. We win in the end.
Speaker 3: And when I'm on the road, you see those crowd laugh too hard of the part about the women.
Speaker 1: And when I make fun of men, no one.
Speaker 3: Laughs, not even the women. Women's seed women. It's nuts, it's crazy. It's how it's these I think it's these in cell young in cell men who just have no place in the world, and there's all this more women are kind of catching up an education and an income, and young men aren't taking it well, and I have some sympathy for them, But on the other hand, the hatred is just so misplaced.
Speaker 2: So the new special is called hyperbolic. I could have looked it up, and I'm like, I don't think I know what the word means, because I'm stupid.
Speaker 1: Nah, what does it mean or related to hyperbola or hyperbole?
Speaker 3: Whatever the plural is, which is the opposite of a circle X squared minus y squared equals one. It's a great word. It also has another meeting, which people are probably more versed with. But I like that word a lot, and I also, I mean, I'm not going to say too much about why it's called that, But one of my goals was for my first two things released to be adjectives. My first album was called Pedantic. This is called hyperbolic, and that is a nod to Raw and Delirious by Bettie Murphy. I love that he went with adjectives, and I wanted to do my own adjectives that represented me, and I find those two be I am neither raw nor delirious, but I can be very pedantic, and I happened to sometimes be hyperbolic.
Speaker 2: If you're of a certain age. Those are two wonderful specials and people my age, I could probably do half that album in the.
Speaker 3: Memory, and people my age are more influenced by that album, even if they've never listened to it, those albums than they could ever know.
Speaker 2: So the specials out on the tenth of YouTube. Great. The date moved a little bit, but it's the tenth is on YouTube Tuesday?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is that the best way to distribute? Now? The Netflix money is kind of backed off a little bit. Hulu seems to have picked a lane Netflix.
Speaker 3: Netflix didn't offer me anything until I have a big fan base there, and they won't Hulu. I think we showed it to Hulu a they did to make and I would do Netflix, but I wanted the freedom of YouTube. I wanted to be able to put the clips up and control it and have kind of build my audience off of it. And it truly is an experiments to see if people will like long form. If you have liked anything I've done, and if you would like to see something more developed for attention spans longer than ten seconds, please watch it. I'm I really tried to make sure it was It stayed entertaining all the way through, and I think if you listen to the whole thing through, you'll get more than just watching.
Speaker 1: My comedy one Instagram reel at a time.
Speaker 3: So that's my mission here is to hopefully make people a little more a little less stupid.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to that one. You've been very generous with your time. Last one. I want to ask you about going down your IMDb as just part of the general prep your role as comic number two at Stage DELI yes, tick me off. No one could be bothered to give this character a name. We can't just call the comic Matt or something like it, just like, what is that?
Speaker 3: I mean, Bud, that's I was. I have no complaints about that. That was one of the best days of my life. Marvelous, marvelous missus Maisle. Yeah, I auditioned for it. I had taken a class with the casting director, and I learned that that show is work perfect, meaning you do the script exactly as it's written, which not my new shows are like that, and the dialogue is basically as fast as you can talk.
Speaker 1: And that helped me get the part.
Speaker 3: And woke up at six am, went down to the diner on the Upper West Side, and it's a real place brought right. Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Bornstein ran their lines, and I sat there and ate pancakes and said, what was it? I know the whole exchange still joke Wire Graton, Boston, Philly, I get to Denver.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 3: It's a regional joke, my sandwich joke. I have a different region in every city, which sandwich is funniest? HOGI HOGI is a funny sandwich. That's the whole exchange. That was really cool. That was really is the first show that I've been a fan of and then got to be on and it's a it's a great show.
Speaker 2: Is it hard reading or performing exactly someone else's words? And what? I'm at the podcast company they were doing a doc and they asked me to voice a cop and I couldn't just I'm just some dude, but like I couldn't just read the written words. I'm like, I wouldn't speak this way. I just tweak this one word, no no, no, no no. I can only imagine on a like a.
Speaker 1: TV show, right, it was, It's very exact.
Speaker 3: I remember Rachel ran her lines before we all went to hair and makeup and wardrobe, and she was already off books. She already had three pages memorized for that scene. And at one point she said, I just know when I'm up there on the stage, on the stage, or that stage, and they corrected her on that stage versus on the stage.
Speaker 1: That's how particular they are. It's very hard to say it.
Speaker 3: A lot of a lot of projects, let you kind of word it for yourself, but often there's some importance to the wording they chose. I mean, I think that's what makes great actors, though they can deliver lines that wouldn't naturally come out of their mouths.
Speaker 2: I'm in the union of people who interviewed comedians, so by law I have to just throw out some topics of you feel free to pass the culture, cancel culture, trans Joe Rogan, your pick or passing all three?
Speaker 1: Cancel culture. These blue haired, whiny.
Speaker 3: Liberals who get offended at everything, I'm still looking for them because I live in Brooklyn, and these things people describe, I don't see them happening. I don't see people storming up and getting out and walking out of clubs over things that are only mildly offensive. This feels like some kind of unicorn that Fox News has created it's not real.
Speaker 1: I don't see it.
Speaker 3: I've seen maybe a couple things in twenty twenty when everyone was very sensitive, But for the most part, I go up in front of crowds of educated liberals here in New York City.
Speaker 1: And try to push buttons. My comedy is not tame.
Speaker 3: I do like to walk the line and sometimes they don't laugh, but rarely do people shout and who and all clubs and venues I'm booked to try to get me canceled. So it feels like a boogeyman that a lot of people have created to make themselves more important.
Speaker 2: I do have one more real question. So I'm hearing from audience from comics that audience members are trying are now trying to be helpful, And since you're going to post crowd work clips, let me be a helpful audience member and hickel you so you can slam me and then you'll have a clip. Are you running into that?
Speaker 3: Well, bad people are just I think people are just worse behaves lately. And we're in the middle of a comedy bubble, which means a lot of people who don't necessarily normally consume comedy are now at clubs, and that means they don't know how to behave and a lot of uncultured people think it's okay to shout out things during a comedy show. Stand up comedy is a fragile art form that only thrives if the consumers respect it, and I am resentful of these crowd work comedians who have trained ons to be bad audience members and reward people for doing the thing we hate most. I'm running into a little bit of it, but I'd like to think people who watch my clips understand that that's not exactly the way I would like the show to go, and if they sit patiently, they will be rewarded because I try really hard to write clever and thoughtful things.
Speaker 1: And for some of those comedians.
Speaker 3: I've heard stories at some of these comedians who have posted a lot of crowdboard clips and are getting audiences now or having trouble doing material because that's the only thing people know them for.
Speaker 1: And I revel in their demise. You made your bed, now sleep in it.
Speaker 3: You could have taken the hard path and written good jokes, but instead you took you took the easy path. Also, I very bad at crowd work, so I'm resentful of people who can do it well. That's most That's mostly what I'm man. I'm terrible at listening. I can't come up with stuff that quickly.
Speaker 2: Super You don't have your bag of tricks, your go to slam.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I should do you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you time today is no. I'm just some jerk with a podcast. I hope you enjoyed him as much as I did. Matthew Brissard Hyperbolic on YouTube, December tenth. He's fantastic. And that is your comedy news for today, normal episode tomorrow. If you like the show, tell a friend about it, Hopefully they'll like it too. If you're a publicist who works for Hulu, get back to me. See I could do this kind of thing with your specials. You can get forty five minutes of publicity. Why don't you get back to me. I'm nice See tomorrow