Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot NetRocks with no ads? Easy? Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month, we'll get you that and a special dot NetRocks patron mug. Sign up now at Patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. Hey, welcome back to dot NetRocks. It's geek out again for twenty twenty five. At this time we're focused on energy. I'm Carl Franklin and that is the star of the show. Richard Campbell. Good morning, Richard, Hey, Happy New Year, Happy new year to you, Time Traveling, Time Traveling. Yeah, of course, I know we have a lot to cover today, so I want to get started right away with an energy themed better no framework, roll the music awesome?
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 1: So? I've found this video on YouTube and while I was doing it, I was thinking to myself, boy, this would be a great thing to share with the kids, and then I thought maybe the grand kids.
Speaker 2: Kids aren't kids anymore more than.
Speaker 1: My Yeah, back when we started this show, I would do things like you know, good for the kids and everybody who's listening, Yeah, the kids, maybe the grand kids. All right, So this is a YouTube video how to make a potato clock?
Speaker 2: Cool? So using the electric potential in a potato.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's a great little experiment that you can do with your kids. You you know, put a die out in one side, an electrode in the other, and you get energy that powers a clock. Isn't that fun? That's what I meant to say. You science guys, you know you feel details. Copper and zinc, baby copper and zinc. So that's what I got. Richard. You want to read a comment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, grabbed a coamooff last year's Energy Geek Outs. This is from episode nineteen thirty one around this time last year. We're oddly enough, we talked about energy and it's, you know that funny. I'm always big on making sure things I referenced last year get mentioned in the next year and so forth. So certainly I've been reading through all of that for a great deal. And this comment comes from Richard Another Richard. He says, great chat, Thanks guys. Interesting that comment about granular solar and wind projects. I don't know if you've countered as in North America, but here in Australia, we have so much solar based generation that we've maxed out the capabilities of our older transmission grid. Another government here wants those with a rooftop solar to pay for their exports to the grid. He considers it a bait and switch to get us to all buy batteries, which, by the way, has happened. Wow. I don't know that there was so much a bait and switch in that. I don't know that the issue the government realized how quickly Australian citizens would put solar on the roof, because they're the leader in the world in this, and they have literally overwhelmed the great at times, you know, so much power available at noon, Yeah, because there's so many solar panels running all at once that it literally blowed transformers off poles.
Speaker 1: But it's amazing that they actually did that. They have full capacity of their grid from solar. That's amazing to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At times, of course it's not you know, again, the power doesn't flow uphill particularly well, it doesn't step back through transformers. Like there's all those kinds of problems they're getting big on because battery prices have fallen so much and we're going to talk about that they've gotten very big on batteries now, because the main thing that you want on rooftop solar is to run your house. Nobody else is yeah really yea, yeah right there. All this buy back was a way to encourage you to do this. The utilization of the power is very poor.
Speaker 1: As we learned in the very first geek out, which was on electricity, right.
Speaker 2: Man, not very first, but you know, way back there we talked about this and lots of controversy on it one way or.
Speaker 1: The other, one of the first Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Richard also goes on to say our older style, greatest more Hubbins spoke that works well with a small number of chunky, high capacity cold based generators and their associated consection points exactly right. You know, we've built a grid designed to have those big power points push down everything else, not flow in multiple directions. And with so many solar and wind projects around our country, the re rebuilding of the transmission network grid is costing gazillions, and it's be having to be rebuilt in the wrong order. In my opinion, refactoring the new grid ideally should have been commenced first. Since you note that the nuclear based generation here would have had a similar grid shape in that to the old one, almost one to one, And he wonders if this similar issue is happening in the US and Canada. In the answer is yes, absolutely, Actually it's happening everywhere in the world. Power is power right, well, more importantly, grid is grid right. The real issue here is that now that there's many different sources of power and you're going to flow in multiple directions, things get complicated and the grid was just never built for this, and you could not have built out the grid first. I just don't think it's possible. A you didn't know what was going to happen, and B it's impossible to spend upfront on this. You kind of have to build it as you go, and that may not be the most cost effective way. But the only way you're going to get it right is in hindsight, and that's not real life. So you know, what's happening is pretty much what had to happen, except that we do have some negative forces. You know, lots of politicians are jumping on the idea that it's solar's faulted, the grids unstable. Phenominally, that's kind of correct. That doesnt mean you shouldn't use solar, it's that the grade needs to be upgraded. So so those complicated conversations aren't sexy. The easy one is to blame new power on all the problems on the grid, and really, we need to upgrade our grade and we have maintained our grade well enough, and that has been the problem all along, and it's where a lot of money is going right now. People are very frustrated the idea that cost of power continues to go up, and they blame it on new power sources, which makes no sense. If the new power sources arebot to drive it down, they drave it on new consumers like AI certainly something we're going to talk about today, and that's these are all fragments of truth where the real truth is, Yeah, we're in the midst of a revolution on our way we build our grid, and we're just putting more stress on it. So Richard, thank you so much for your comment, and a copy of music co Buy is on its way to you. And if you'd like a copy of music, go buy, write a comment on the website at dot netroocks dot com or on the facebooks and helplish every show there and if you comment there in a reading the show, we'll send you copy music Cope.
Speaker 1: And what he's talking about is music to Code Buy, which is something that I built a long time ago and keep adding tracks too. We're up to twenty two tracks now. They're twenty five minutes long to coincide with the Pomodoro technique, and they're designed to keep you in a state of flow while you're writing code. I'm halfway done with episode twenty three as of this writing, but I think I'm going to knock it out in the next day or so so we can get it to people for Christmas. So Musicdoco buy dot net if you want to buy the collection in an MP three wave or FLACK versions. All right, So shall we talk about what happened in nineteen eighty three because that's our episode number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, there's some favorites for you in my list, but I'm sure we'll see what you've got.
Speaker 1: Well, the big one, Richard, kind of crosses into your realm. It's the beginning of the Internet. The migration of arpinet to TCPIP was completed, marking the official start of the Internet. According to some sources, the depending on who you asked, right, yeah, but I mean TCPIP is what powers the Internet. It's the protcol stack that we all use today. So before it was arpinet, and there were other protocols that connected universities and things like that, but the true Internet really requires TCPIP. All right, thanks sir. Yeah, yeah, launch of mobile phones. You'll probably talk about this, so I'll leave that that. Wasn't going to go too far into it because there's so many other things to do. Okay, the first mobile cellular telephone call was made. Michael Jackson performed the moon Walk for the first time during a televised performance of Billy Jean, which was big. Nobel Prizes were awarded to various individuals, including William Golding for literature and somebody I can't pronounce, lech Wtesa for peace. Okay, Lequillessa, good polish. Opening of Tokyo Disneyland, the theme park. We'll open its stores to the public on April fifteenth, becoming the first Disney park in Asia. And you know, let's talk about the top ten movies of nineteen eighty three, because there were some good ones. A Christmas Story is number one, which I watch every Year with My Girls. Great movie and a great story too, Silkwood, Scarface, The Right Stuff, War Games, Star Wars Episode six, Return of the Jedi, The King of Comedy. Yep, that was Robert Tanniro, Jerry Lewis, and Martin Scorsese directed National Lampoon's Vacation, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life and coming in at ten The Outsider Again.
Speaker 2: Another ridiculously good movie here, like ridiculously good.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah, great movies coming out in eighty three. So what you got in tech in space? Well, okay, let's give to Dine Attack a little bit of love.
Speaker 2: Right. That's the first cellular mobile phone. And there were mobile phones before this. This was the first cellular phone. Famously made a call to his competitor in New York to say I've done it, you know, communicating on the first cell node the phone had. It was kind of brick shaped, but it had antenna and it definitely worked. It's called din Attack and it's the beginning of that whole race. But you know, awesome. The other gadget that I have to bet you would be the Nintendo Entertainment Centisen, the NASA. You know, this is the first of the Mario. You know, you can play Mario at home like that. It's huge and that Christmas I remember it well, selling ness for a friend of mine at a store as fast as we could possibly go.
Speaker 1: Previous episodes of dot NetRocks we talked about Pong, right yep, which and I can't remember what year it was, but it was in the seventies somewhere seventy eight, seventy seven, seventy six. But was this the real first graphic home system or was the Atari the first one? Yeah, the Atari's earlier in that and the in television so forth. But this was sort of Nintendo entering that market, okay, right as Famiccom And yeah, they were course big in Japan, and you know, nominally in Japan it was a third generation system, but this was the first one that they brought to the US. Were they as huge as Stephen Forte in Japan?
Speaker 2: Nobody's a huge a Steve. Let's not get crazy now, come on. But you know this is when you get Super Mario Brothers. Legend of Zelda Metroid, like those classics begin at least in North America, you know, well, I mean it starts in Japan in eighty three and then gets released in North America in eighty five. Yeah, nice, so big on the space side, there's not all that's happening in space shuttles. So Space Shuttle Challenge there gets its first flight in April that year, and the only thing interesting I can say about that flight, besides the first flight of Challenger, is they launched the first of the TDRS satellites. These are tracking in data relay satellites. We take for granted today that there's NaSTA TV, that there's a continuous transmission of video from the International Space Station and any space flight, and that's because of these TDRS satellites. There's three of them, but in nineteen a three the very first one had been launched. Up till then you just had voice communication and it was intermittent. You constantly went out of into loss of signals. So having it all the time was a big deal. And this was the beginning of the TDRS. So Challenger put up the first TDRS satellite, and then that's April. In June flies again, like they did fly fairly often, right. The goal was to be able to fly over two weeks. They'd never got that fast, but they were flying every couple of months. STS seven is a satellite deployment mission, which was the original you know, major missions for the Shuttle was to be able to launch satellites. But it's also the mission where Sally Ride flies, the very first female US female astronaut. That was her first flight.
Speaker 1: And it's really funny that they wrote that song about her Mustang Sally way before that.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure for sure that's not true. Pretty sure for sure that's not what we're talking about. And then the end August, Challenger flies to fly to launch a couple more satellites, but not a TDR.
Speaker 1: Follow me for more fun facts, kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. So, and then to round out the shuttles in eighty three, the last flight in a three so Challenger flowed three times and then Columbia flies once STS nine and takes up space Lab. This was a collaboration which was with the Europeans before even the Europeans based aged was well defined and really in a lot of way space Lab easier precursor to ISS modules. Yeah. So this was basically a laboratory twenty four feet long in the back of the payload bay with a tunneling it to the cab. The cabin in the front and there were six people the first time it flew six people on Shuttle, and these six people worked round the clock in two shifts of twelve hours three and three to do science experiments using space Lab to demonstrate the potential at One of those astrots, by the way, was Richard Garriott, And if you're a gaming fan, Richard Garriott is the guy behind Ultima an Ultima online.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: That mission for Columbia was the last one for two years. After that flight, it'll come down and do a major refit. They'll take the ejection seats out and trying to reduce the weight on Columbia, though I'll never be able to get all the way down. It'll fly again in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: I'll have some problems with the O rings, foreshadowing that'll be.
Speaker 2: Called the Challenger. But yes, of course I won't say the Soviets did nothing that year. They have Salute seven up and they'll do like some major spacewalks to upgrade the solar panels on it. Like they were doing good science then too, so, but that not a you know, its shuttle is sort of overwhelming all the messages at the time. On the computer side, it's nineteen eighty three, what comes out. Apple's Lisa. Lisa arguably the first of the PC computers with a guy just a year ahead of the Mac. Of course, there was a lot of de beta where the name Lisa came from. Jobs finally admitted it was named for his daughter, although at the time they didn't want that to be true, so they backron named it and called it something like local Integrated Software Architecture, which means nothing. Somebody else said, let's be realistic. It actually means let's invent some acronym. That's great. It was a ten thousand dollars PC in nineteen eighty three. It was really crazy expensive, but it had a sixty eight thousand processor, had a Mega RAM initially with two five and a quarter drives, then eventually had a five Mega I driving even a seven a three and a half inch drive on it. But it just prices itself out of the market and then back would undermine them. They'll be out, they'll be discontinued by eighty six. Lotus one two three, Yeah, Yeah, so that's the Yeah, this is the you know, and coming after VisiCalc. Although Microsoft's also shipped a multiplan. The multiplan runs on lots of platforms. That's Charles Simons's implementation. So it's not fast and one two three is designed for the IBM PC and nothing else, and it is fast, and it just swamps the market. It's not defendive product, to the point where when Microsoft is really trying to compete against it, they include a mistake in the date math in Lotus one two three in Excel to make sure it's perfectly compatible.
Speaker 1: Oh not as an accident, to let everybody know that they copied the code.
Speaker 2: They they may realize it was making an error on leap ears because the leap ears don't happen on the on the four hundredth year, but Lotus one two three made that mistake, and they didn't want it to be different from Lotus one too three, so they made it exactly the same mistake.
Speaker 1: Was there some brew haha over the inventor of VisiCalc and some loss circles and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I mean this is still in lawsuit area. Don't worry, We're still coming into like the look and feel lawsuits, Like none of that has happened yet, and we were all sort of passed that all now, but the time, no they're still figuring all that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eighty three is also the year they shipped Microsoft word Word. The original version is actually for Xenix. It's called multi toool Word And they also put out the PC version for on Dos in eighty three, and then they'body subsequent versions.
Speaker 1: And if you're a fan of dot net rocks, you know that we interviewed the guy Les Pinter who wrote word and sold it to Microsoft, So that was around this time.
Speaker 2: It was in that same era, And of course they also made versions of the Mac and the Atarist and Unix and OS two Windows in eighty nine. It'll ultimately become the dominant word processor, and it'll do it by beating word Perfect. And the way it'll beat word perfect is by reading and writing word perfect files. Yeah. Plus it was easier to use, I mean, let's face it, Yeah, but that's not enough to get people to move. The big thing here was when word Perfect shipped their version fives, they changed their file format and didn't include They only had an importer, so you had to upgrade everything at once, and that made people mad. And then word came along and says, hey, we read and write four three files and five one files. So suddenly you could use word whatever you got to pick up any old version of word perfect and write to Eddie version of We're perfect too. And it just, you know, basically stood there, waited until they made a mistake and then took advantage. What else Richard stallman Ship's Ganu. Ganu has the best acronym of all, which is not Unix. That's what can stands for. It's a free it's not a full Borros, but it is the free shell, and it is the catalyst for what will become Linux, which is why Stallmanite still say you should be calling it new Linux, right, But that's all all begins there, and also the free software movement and so forth come from that. Compact only been formed the year before puts out their version of the Compact Portable, the luggable PC case. It's the suitcase like an Osborne, but built for CP for DAWs. It's an IBM compatible. Yeah. And Ry Kurtzweel publishes his Age of the Intelligent Machines, incredibly prescient if you read it today, just about some of the insanity of that going on forty years earlier and last, but certainly not least at the cees the Consumer Electronics Show MIDI, right, yeah, yeah, nineteen ay three.
Speaker 1: MIDI changed electronic music for everybody. Yeah, ushered in the era of the synthesizers and the sequencers and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: And brilliantly they came at it. It was a serial standard, but they came at it as a public standard, so anybody could implement against it, right, and that was good, And so it just spread like wildfire. And I had a little bit of a hand in the history of that, not really, but I kind of jumped on to the MIDI bandwagon working for a company that made Doss sequencers in the late eighties, and a lot of that stuff that I was doing was creating c structures or system exclusive data. System exclusive data is stuff that's specific to each synthesizer model that comes out so that you could suck down the patches and then use a library application, which is what we had to manage them, and then swap the patches back in so so that Yeah, those were fun times. Yeah, and it you know, at the time, each vendor had their own standard, right, Roland had one Oberheim and these are the two that originally collaborated, you know, had had their own version, the parallel box and so forth, and it was finally like these leaders of the company kind of got on the phone and said, this is stupid, right, why don't we just agree on a standard, And they gradually drew more and more companies into all agree we're going to do this, this MIDI standard, so that we can interconnect with each other, so that our customers can use the products they want to use.
Speaker 1: What's interesting, Richard, is that standard still holds. I think they went to METI two point zero, but they're midy two. Yeah, but that's standard still holds. And compare that to something like, oh, I don't know, scuzzy Small Computer Systems Interface, which was supposed to be a standard which changed every year because everybody wanted to own the standard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all which is kind of pointless. Yeah, those guys have done a good job. But they kind of got it right off the bat. Yep, and it worked. Yeah, so that's what I got. That's good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I hear you want to talk about energy?
Speaker 2: What the heck?
Speaker 1: Huh in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, When we do this every year, it's interesting to look at the larger geopolitical landscape. Energy has always been an important factor. It's really quite a potent ay right now. The International Energy Agency, which I often retort to, the IA, sort of does a lot of overview. It's a great phrase for me to do some reading, sort of see where we actually had. And they talk about the fact that coming out of the pandemic and with the current conflicts, the countries are prioritizing energy security. They're actually creating less efficient energy generation that they can control rather than necessarily buying from wherever they can from. Having the Russians out of the grid has been a big part of that. But it also means that they've driven renewables to an all time high. But it's interesting to point it's not just renewals, as you're not all time high. Virtually every type of energy generation in twenty twenty five, coal, natural gas, oil, even nuclear power isn't an all time high right now. Old plants are being turned back on, plants that are should have been shut down or being capped because there's so much concern for availability of energy. Oil prices are relatively low. Energy should be cheap right now, and the reality, of course is the energy isn't Anybody who's looking at their power bill is going, Wow, why is my power bill so high?
Speaker 1: Except for me?
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: I got solar panels everywhere, and you know, my energy bill has been flatlined for the last year. I've been only paying my lease for for my panels.
Speaker 2: But that's yeah. So you got in before even panel prices are up.
Speaker 1: Right now, good time fifty bucks a month plus whatever Pizzley charge we get from the power company.
Speaker 2: Right. So, the planet's consuming roughly about twenty tarowatt hours of electricity per year right now. The IA says that we're almost forty percent of that energy now is renewable and expected to be over fifty percent ahead of twenty thirty, which was the original goal. So some things are going well. But at the same time, everybody's frantic about energy costs and we're going to that's going to keep coming up as we talk through the various forms. So let's do our usual routine. We'll start with some of the renewables and then we'll go into the more mainstreams. And I've got some questions from listeners, not all includers. We go through this all, right, So by the end of twenty four last year, we were at about two point two tarawatts of solar capacity on the planet. By the end of this year, which is imminent, we should be around three terra wats. Is a bit of an estimate because it's not quite the end of the year yet and it takes a few months to get all the report again. So you know, about eight hundred megawatts of eight hundred gigawatts of new solar put online. Most of that is from China. Still, China has one point one tarot watts of solar. They're number one by a long way, because the number two is the United States at about two hundred and forty gigawatts or maybe.
Speaker 1: Not, you know, with all those Chinese solar panels.
Speaker 2: Barely a quarter. Yeah, although solar panels are also made in the USA is more expensive. So we're roughly around ten percent of global interesting now is solar, and seventy five percent of the new capacity being added in renewables is solar. Solar is very cheap, and it's the bigger thing is it's easy to deploy. You get a square flat piece of land, you can gradually grow out solar. You know, ortually every other power plant besides wind and solar, you kind of have to build the whole thing. Before you get anything right, you'll have to build a large multi megawatt plant right off the bat where with solar and wind you can build an increments and so you can slowly get connected to get to the grid and slowly expand over time and sort of don't have to get a huge amount of money up front. You can get it over time. The Chinese are doing a lot of the innovation here. They are. I read a great piece about a huge solar and wind farm being built int bed the Quingha Tatle and Solar projects. This is seventeen gigawatts of solar and that's not even at full capacity. And they're building on the bed.
Speaker 1: How do they get them all up the mountain?
Speaker 2: They carry them? This is not a trivial piece of problem either, right.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe SHARPA have another panel?
Speaker 2: That's it? You know? I think it's I think they have a train line up there. But either way, the high altitude means it's cold, good for the panels. The air is thin, so sunlight is very clear, so they actually get more generation, and then they use these high performance DC connectors to bring it back down where it's needed. They're also combining it with hydro electric power, because if you've got mountains, you've got dams and a lot of pumped hydro. So when they're doing excess power production around the stored of batteries, they're pumping water back up hill and storing behind the dams. So these massive demonstrations of power.
Speaker 1: So I think we talked about this before, but I don't know about in Canada. But in the United States, I don't think like, if you have a house on an acre and you have an adjacent acre that's flat, yeah, I don't think you can. Can you or can you not put up you know, solar panels on there and to power your house or your for your local electricity or sell it or whatever.
Speaker 2: You can power your house fairly easily. Like you're hitting on a veryly key point here, which is no, you can't just go. You can put up panels and put it in your own battery and do what you want with it. That's fine. The regulations and these are even down to the county level, not even state level, much less federal. It's usually fairly easy to generate power for your home. But as soon as you want a grid tie, you have to go through grid tie policy. Processes, and those processes are archaic, they haven't been modernized. They are controlled by relatively few entities that are not incented to improve it because it's where they make their money. And in some cases you're seeing a weight to get a grid tie for any kind of power plant of as much as eight years.
Speaker 1: Wow. On top of that, I imagine you have to be zoned commercial for that because.
Speaker 2: Well, that's selling power, but that's whole you know, that's at the front end. Imagine the back end where you actually build this. And now when you go to get your grid tie, it's like it's going to be eight years before you can actually start selling that power. Like, if you've got a loan, you're big trouble. So yeah, don't think too much unless you really have a lot of money and you want to build a large scale commercial power is expensive and complicated and depending on the region. You know, there's one of the advantages that having an authoritarian state like China is is that they simply dictate when things are going to happen, and there is no red tape unless they want it. Where I'm not saying that red tape is automatically bad. Often there are procedures. You know, what you don't want is to plug a solar panel array into the grid and have the grid catch fire, like then nobody gets power. But the current processes aren't bad and then need to be made better. It's an ongoing issue, and it is.
Speaker 1: This both Canada and the United States everywhere.
Speaker 2: And it's all of the western world. Right. The same problems that we're having the grid power are also the same problems we're having with housing, which is we created regulatory regimes that are blocking to the point where there is no incentive to build. Yeah, right, And so you know, if you go read as reclines abundance, it's like, listen, all it's actually cheap to build a house than ever was before. Why don't we have more houses? We've created regulatory regimes that make it impossible and need to be streamlined, and there's lots of effort happening in that, and there needs to be more. There need to be louder noises. The real reason housing and electricity are more expensive is that we've crew made it too hard for them to be less. And this is where you go to your government and demand it, and they'll give you simple answer. It's like it's AI's fault or it's Solar's fault, and all of that is crap. The reality is the infrastructure needs to be upgraded and the process needs to be upgraded, and those things need to be dealt with, and building more power is not going to solve it until you get the process fixed. Everything else is a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Good points.
Speaker 2: There has been some you know, for a long time when we were talking about solar We've done this for a number of years. I've talked about perovs skites. You've heard the term before, right, We've been living happily with multijunction soloka and solar panels manufactured largely by the Chinese, who drove the price down that are about twenty percent efficient. If you got the good ones, it's about as good as they can get. And there's always been this proposal, this idea that there's other materials, but the perovskites will be able to move more efficient panels, except for the fact that when you put them outside, they fail. They don't last more than a couple of years. It's not enough to make a panel that generates a lot of electricity. It's got to last for twenty years. But in the past couple of years we've had real breakthroughs. Last year I talked about Oxford PV who are making about twenty five percent efficient panels, and you go twenty percent. Who cares, Like, dude, that's a twenty percent improvement. That adds up. It's a big deal. And so they're now at a point.
Speaker 1: Where they have licensed to Trina Solar, which is a Chinese company, to manufacture those twenty five percent panels at scale.
Speaker 2: So those should be coming on the market.
Speaker 1: And did you say those panels are also silicon based?
Speaker 2: They're using provskites. Oh, they are using perovskites. Yeah, So what's the big deal about parovskites? Why do we like? What's the potential in provskites? Perovskites absorb a different frequency of light than the silicon. Silicon tends to absorb long light, So the reds and the infrared is what is what silicon absorbs and makeing electricity. Perovskites live in the ultraviolet and blue range, and so when you combine the two, so you have a layer of silicon and a layer of perovskite, the perovskite layer will pass through the reds and infrared down to the silicon and absorb the UV and blue. So this is why they're invariably more expensive because they are a conventional silicon solar panel and the Perovsky panel combined. Wow, right, but you get more energy from it. No too is about it. So there should be tandem style panels getting into the thirty percent range available in the next year or two now, and yeah, but they'll still be expensive. I'm sure they're going to be more expensive now. One of the main manufacturers of this is a US company called Klux. So Klux has made this transparent perovskuide layers transparency to infrared and red spectrum. So you replace the upper layer of a regular silicon panel with their quote unquote active glass layer and some additional wiring and you get this increased power production. So they are licensing that to multiple companies to add to existing silicon panels. Okay, back in China, which does a lot of this innovation, a company called Longi has been doing this tandem design, but they've also done a texturization approach to the interface between the silicon and the parovs guide. Basically, these little pyramid structures which increases light absorption. These are micrometer pyramids, too tiny to even see, but they decrease reefflectivity and increase light absorption between the layers. They've demonstrated in a tandem panel almost a thirty five percent efficiency. Wow. So and again that should have good lifespan So when you talk about going for a twenty percent to a thirty five percent like these are massive improvements. Now you could play this ROI game where I need a third less panels, almost half as many panels, I can pay twice a bunch for those panels and still be ahead. So solar technology is not holding still. It took a long time for us to get to this capability, but it has happened now, and so the market's going to get interesting over the next couple of years in terms of what panels to buy. Needless to say, expect conventional multi junctions silicon panels to get even cheaper as these other panels start to move into the market. Now. One of the question areas we've gotten from it was Chad Boyer and also Charles and Blue Sky said our chin any solar panels the only choice, and without a doubt, they are the cheapest choice. But they're not the only choice. There are US manufactured solar panels, although not the entire pipeline. The way solar panels made, you can sort of break them into five major steps. So first is you've got to make silicon metals. The US pioneered this. A lot of it is still done in the US, but it's how you get all the contaminutes out of silicon to make a pure silicon metal. Then it's typically exported from there because the next steps forming the ingots, actually casting them into the shapes that are going to be needed for silicon, and slicing them into wafers, those are all done abroad. So step one is very US SEP twos and three not so much, are almost not at all. Making them into cells, so that's actually adding textures, the doping. Some of that's done in the US, but not very much. But the final assembly part, taking those cells and wiring them, putting in the housings, actually building that, that's done at scale in the US these days. So when you buy an American solar panel and you can do that, you're going to pay a ten to twenty percent premium on that. You're typically getting a module made from parts abroad that is assembled in the US. So if that makes you happy, and you know by US standards that's considered a US solar panel, you can do that. Just understand that cost. I would also point out that much of that is new capability that was brought on by the Inflection Inflation Reduction Act in twenty two that's largely been shut down by the new administration. The new administration has rolling back all sorts of clean energy tax credits and benefits, and this is one of them. So while they been built out, I don't know how much more growth is going to happen in that area and whether or not people are willing to pay the premium for that to continue. But that's what's going on as those as a US administration rolled back the clean energy credits, a lot of money gout went into renewable energy ahead of those rollbacks, So the beginning of the year in twenty five, it was a huge them out. Now it's dying off in the later parts of the year though we don't have all the numbers here, but one case there was a company called clean Capital who ordered twenty five million dollars worth of solar panels ahead of tariffing and credits going away. They're now storing them because it's more than they need to the tune of like one hundred and two thousand dollars a month, but it's worth it for them for production for the rest of the year. The vast majority of new power being built in the US, like ninety percent in twenty twenty five, is renewable, mostly solar, some win so the impact of the rollbacks has to stop that deployment this year. But a lot of high risk projects like the off shore wind projects, which have been shut down just because of their risk levels and the time they don't know how long things are going to take, they basically wound down. So we're not going to see the impact of rollbacks on renewables for a few years, possibly not until the end of this administration. So it's going to be confusing for folks because they say, hey, we cut all these things, but yet it's still going, and it's just because people pre bought lots of investments already in place. Businesses aren't perfectly elastic. They can't respond to regulatory changes that quickly, but later there will be impacts in growth. Just doesn't happened yet. All right back in twenty two on that geek out, I mentioned the thing called Project Nexus. This was so idea of putting solar panels over top of agricultural canals in California. Thought it was a brilliant idea, the idea being brilliant. Yeah, this was done in India first, So it is the idea of these are not normal water waste. The you're man made water waste for distributing water for agriculture, and they have a problem with algal growth and they have a problem with evaporation and otherwise can't build stuff on there, So why not build solar panels over top of them. The water keeps the panels cooler, so they run more efficiently and they last longer. You decrease the water losses, you battle algae growth and other problems, so it's kind of a win wind deal. Well, that project actually happened, no kidding. Yeah, in August, it's twenty five. They finished it. It's generating one point six megawatts of electricity, so it's not a huge thing. There's many more that could be built, but they've done it. It took three years. Now there's a big reconciliation of is this worthwhile because it is more complex to install over a waterway. You're not always pointing the solar panels at their optimal angles, so in general it's more costly to conventional solar installation. So it's going to take a few years to really understand the other benefits of long term utilization. They're harder to clean because they're up higher and over a waterway, like. There's a bunch of problems there, so it's a question of how much more is going to happen. Same to go with what they call floato voltaics. There's been so many papers about this idea of just put solar panels on reservoirs, again, man made bodies of water, typically because of dams. They're nice and flat. There's not much going on there. You already have electrical wiring, so just checking the put solar panels on it. Yeah. Good. There's been a few projects, but not very many, so everybody likes it. It's a good idea, but it hasn't happened much, and I think part of the reason is that most of the panel solar panels that are available day are being installed in commercial panel deployments on the ground that lowest costs and the most benefit and so people don't need to innovate in this area yet, same for the canals. Right, it's just a question of is it even necessary. We're not struggling for land for all these things. And when you're throwing the regulatory problems or even getting stuff connected to the grid, they're like, Okay, we don't need a bottle and more complicated stuff. Will just stick with the simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is more complicated and it requires more infrastructure and all that.
Speaker 2: Now, one area of innovation in solar that is seeming to grow because it's not that complicated is this area called agro voltaics. So this is combining farming and solar panels. So this year in September in the Philippines, they opened the City Corps Solar Petangus one. This is two hundred megawatts of solar with a three hundred and twenty megawatt hour battery storage system. So it's considered base low power. It can run round the clock.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But they built them tall enough that there's rooms to grow crops underneath the solar panels. Now, the crops haven't been the priority, but they built them that way because it is good land for farming, and now you're talking about crops that need some shade that make more sense to be growing in the under those conditions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of say, I mean, don't crops usually thrive in sunlight but some need shade.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is with climate change going on, there's almost too much sun in a lot of places, so we have different crops that benefit from shade, and so it is possible to optimize crops in those conditions. So you're making power as well as providing shade for other crops and utilizing the land twice. They're not the only project. China's now built one a two gigawat project just absolutely massive out in inner Mongolia, and they're using it for deed deservocation. So where they have problems with too much moisture loss and you're trying to grow cover crops just to keep the sand from encroaching, they're putting solar panels so the show keeps the water in place, it helps protect the plants. They're calling it eco voltaics now, where they think they can start pushing back the desert while making solar power and starting to turn that land into something viable.
Speaker 1: Can go further Richard, we under the crops, let's put fish farms, so the fish poop, you know, the nitrogen from the fish poop fertilizes the crops. And now you've got you know, three things going on.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a thing more ecosysm, that's a thing already.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, we certainly used aquaponics in combination of other farming because it does create useful water, that is that has fertilizer in it. Already, I thought the US is doing this in Colorado. They have one hundred and fifty megawatt solar farm now again stood on a higher posts, so they can grow prairie grasses underneath that. We'll be using sheep to graze that grass to keep it under control.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's beautiful. I love to hear stuff like that. Should we take a break and then we'll talk about wind power.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. Okay, We'll be right back after this break for more wind break wind. You're funny. Did you know you can lift and shift your dot Net framework apps to virtual machines in the cloud. Use the elastic beanstalk service to easily migrate to Amazon ec two with little or no changes. Find out more at aws dot Amazon dot com, slash elasticbeanstock, and we're back. It's the Energy Geek out of twenty twenty five. Mister Campbell has done his research. He's got his cup of tea, probably got a kettle of tea on there, and we're going to talk about wind.
Speaker 2: All right, So about the data is only up to date as the first half of twenty twenty five. There's about seventy two gigawatts worldwide added in wind power, up sixty five percent for twenty twenty four, so definitely expanding. Expecting one hundred and fifty gigs of new wind online in twenty twenty five for a total capacity of about one point three tarawatts of wind worldwide. China course is the largest deployer, both on and offshore. They did fifty gigawatts in twenty twenty five and they expected to have seven hundred gigawats total, so that is, you know, almost half of all wind capacity in the world now being built built for China. US is number two a one hundred and fifty gigawatts, but almost no new installations coming in on or offshore.
Speaker 1: So you remember I told you we talked about this last year that in New London at the State Pier they're doing this Revolution Wind project, which is a seven hundred and four megawatt project. It's being stage at the State Pier. Project is eighty five percent completed. About three months ago, Trump put the kaibash on it and said we're not funding this anymore. And then he was ordered to refund it, and so it got refunded. People went back to work, and just three days ago after this, you know, as of this recording, anyway, they halted it again. Well, boy, it's pausing leases for five large scale offshore wind projects under construction on the East Coast due to unspecified national security risks identified by the Pentagon. Pauses effective immediately, and we'll give the Interior Department, which oversees offshore wind, time to work with the Defense Department and other agencies to assess the possible ways to mitigate any security risks. Anyway, I'm going to share this link with Richard and he will put it on the page. It's from the Connecticut Mirror. But you know, it's just it's hard when you have an administration that just doesn't want any kind of renewable energy projects. To continue and that's really what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no science on the basis of that. Now that being said, there has been you know, there are complaints about the noise from wind farms and there has been some innovation there. So they're doing the same sort of thing that the airline industry's done. So they're doing things like serrations on the trailing edge trying to reduce noise impact. There is a big effort to try and what's happening in Europe, which really led a lot of the wind technology, is the oldest wind turbines are now aging out and they're finding out they're not recyclable. Well, I mean, honestly, the vast majority is recyclable, the turbides itself, even the concrete can be reprocessed. It's the blades. The blades are made of fiberglass, carver fiber. They're almost impossible to recycle and so that's been a big fuss. They are now making new styles of blades specifically for more recyclabilities, but that will take twenty years to play out because these turbines typically last twenty to thirty years. Interesting AI technologies has started to play a role in or at least machine learning technology in wind turbine are wind site development where they're using machine learning models to figure out alltimal layouts and they're sometimes finding ten to fifteen percent performance increases for the turbine sets by using these complex models to be able to locate them so that they have more wind from with the combined turbines over longer periods of the time. On shores sort of gone as far as it can. We kind of know what we're doing there. It works very well where you kind good sites, you lay them out, you need steady wind and tall posts. They can't get a whole lot bigger. The real development area is an offshore wind, and offshore wind kind of comes in two categories. You have what they call fixed based wind that's typically up to about fifty meters or one hundred and fifty feet of water where you literally put a casement down to the bottom. You drill a hole and you pour a bunch of concrete, you lay down the post. It's fixed on the bottom. Yeah, there's only so many places in the world where that water is a shallow like most of the North Sea and around Denmark, so where the ashallow like that's why they have a ton of it, but in a place like here in British Columbia where the water is very deep, you just can't do that. So now you get into floating based offshore, and we talked about this before difficult. This is using a lot. It is difficult and it's expensive, so you get away from the cost effectiveness. You know, this fixed base offshore, they're hitting the limits of size. They're somewhere between fifteen and twenty five megawats per unit. They're talking about some fifty megawats. But now you're getting into the physics problem. They're just so heavy and so large. You can only be so big with floating. There's still only really five sites that are being tested, and just with a handful of turbines. There's a couple of sites in the UK with five turbines each. Portugal has one with three, No way as one with eleven. France that's one with three. But that's about it. They're using oil industry platform technology to build these floating platforms to put wind turbines on, and they just have not scaled up because it's so costly. So they're still a debate whether it's necessary or when they're going to even go down that path where there's still other areas to do less expensive forms. That's all I got for wind, But I actually have some stories for wave power because wavepower has always been the you know, red headed step child, never really worked kind of limited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what I remember, it's kind of dirty, right. You have these turbines that are underwater that are capturing you know, tidal currents and things and stuff gets stuck in there. You know, turbine is a fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the ocean tends to destroy them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it's one thing, if it's in the air, but if it's underwater exactly, corrosion and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough time. And so really that's not been the area development and instead they're looking at more pumping technologies, so sitting more on the surface. Now. Last year I talked about the Packwave Energy Project. So this is a laboratory site largely off the coast of Oregon. Oregon and Washington State have ideal conditions for wave power technologies rather than tidle technologies. Wave power and so off the coast of Oregon, because Oregon has more development on the coast than Washington does. Washington's conditions are so rough. There's very little over there. They built these two sides, Packwave North and Packway South. North was purely for testing and South we talked about this last year. They were building up, putting in all the wiring and so forth for four big tests berths, so that different companies could test up to five power collectors in each of the burths with all the wiring and telemetry already put in place. And there were candidates to be put out there. One of them was a company called Aqua Harmonics, which had back in twenty sixteen won a Department of Energy prize for their innovative boys. These are floating boys anchored to the bottom but under tensions, and so the wave action forces the boy to go up and down, and that actually runs a small electric generator that then is wired back to shortage general electricity. The cutting of funding for renewable energy projects by the administration has put that project entirely on holds. It's not much happening a pack packwave Styuth this time. But there's another company, an Israeli company called Eco Wave Power, and they do what's called on shore wave power. Now, wait a second, how the heck is that supposed to work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: So what this is is floats that can move anchored to a war for a breakwater. So as the waves come up to that breakwater or wharf, they push them up and down and they're connected to hydraulic fluid arms and that builds up pressure and that pressure then turns a generator. Now, Eco Wave Powers had a site in Gibraltar in the Mediterranean from twenty sixteen until twenty twenty two. It was off of an old World War two AMMO jetty and they learned a lot from there, but ultimately they decided to shut that down and move that a bunch of that tech to Los Angeles. So in Los Angeles, on a wharf near the Catalina Ferry, there is seven of these blue floats. They're quite large, connected to this wharf and they generate up to one hundred kilowats of electricity, and the LA District wants to expand that onto all the big breakwaters about eight miles worth a breakwater, think like sixty megawatts of power. And that same company has also got a pilot project now in Porto, Portugal where the initial build they just broke around this year will be a megalot with the intent to boot up to nineteen more. I get along the big breakwaters in Porto. Porto, you know, on the eastern side of the Atlantic, takes some pretty serious waves. So we'll see if those actually work. So there is some development a way of power. It's minuscule compared to the other techs, but there is some development. You love us Porta, Okay, I love that place. Porna is such a great man. Let's talk about power storage. This is the most question category Materius. Carlson sent me some questions. Dan Owen asked about solid state batteries, Martin asked about sodium batteries. Lots of questions, but let me begin with the most important power storage, the number one power storage strategy that we have so far, which is pumped hydro. I mentioned this back in twenty two with the Australian National University paper where they provided an atlas. They mapped out the world showing all these locations in the world where it may not be a good hydro electric location per se, but it is a high elevation with water available below, where you could put a reservoir above, pump water uphill and then run it down there. About eighty five percent conversion efficient. They last one hundred years. It's really well known technology.
Speaker 1: So you basically use the power that's generator from the water flowing down to power a pump that pumps it back up to the reservoir.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying now? That I mean that won't net out. What it is is you have excess power, right, Pump hydro is about I have too much shoulder, I have too much wind, so I use it to pump water uphill to store in a reservoir like a battery.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: So today there are eighty seven pumped hydro sites facility over a gigawat of storage on the planet right like this is not They've been around for a while. There's lots of small ones, but there are eighty seven gigawap plus ones now wow, forty of those are in China. Japan again, a very mountainous country, has fourteen o and the US has ten. China has plans for another hundred. So they're taking advantage of the terrain and again just the easy regulatory regime mean they can move very quickly. That the advantage of pumped hydro is it's completely known technology. Those turbine has been around for a long time. The pump's been around for a long time. We know how to drill through rock, we know how to reservoirs. It's all known tech right, like, and they last. You know, we expect hydroelectric dams to last one hundred plus years. Like, they're the longest lasting power techs we have. So let's go back to the numbers for a second. You said there's an eighty five percent conversion rate. Yeah, what does that mean exactly? Can you break that down into English?
Speaker 1: So if I pump one hundred, if I spend one hundred megawats pumping water uphill, I can expect eighty five megawats back when I let.
Speaker 2: It flow back downhill. Okay, right, So they're losses, but they're not huge losses. It's efficient enough and the water storage itself doesn't leak very very badly. Right, you have some ev operation so forth. This is when you get into put more solar panels on like this.
Speaker 1: And as long as you have water yeah and height, yes, you can make it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And generally we've been you know, our original water management projects, we're for managing flooding. Right. A lot of dams were built to stop seasonal flooding, right, and then we also learned to make electricity from it, so we ran them a little differently, and now we're learning to store with them as well, and to build multiple tiers. Right. And there's locations in Norway where a given water flow has like four different dams on it, four different restores on it. So they try and get as much power as possible. And the dynamic between place like Denmark and Norway. Denmark's got a ton of hydro electric power, Denmark's got a ton of wind power, so they put a connection between the two, and the Danes are making too much electricity from wind power, which happens they send that excess electricity in Norway. Norway shuts down their dam, their damn power generation and uses the wind power. And when the wind power slacks off, they crank up the dams and let the power flow down to Denmark to supply the difference. And when they're really making too much power, they're actually pumping water back up hills. They not only providing power in Norway and Denmark with wind, but also increasing storage on their existing dam system.
Speaker 1: You know, I know they watched Sesame Street when they were kids because cooperation was a big deal for that. It's kind of important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, some of a lot of power generation has to do with geography. What have you got, you know, do you have mountains with water on the top, okay, hydro electric you know, not a lot of places to light them, but some of them are. You've got a lot of shallow water with good windflow Okay, you know, offshore fixed based wind awesome, right, and on and on and on. Let's face it, most of the places that burn coal or do it because they have coal. A lot of places that burn natural gas do it because they have natural gas. Like, there's only so many different power sources that are available. And if you've got a lot of sunline, fine solar has some merit to it. Like if you have to mix and match these things, and depends on the regions. But where those regions can colloberate so they can offset each other, everybody benefits.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move onto the other sides of storage, and of course we need to focus on batteries to some degree. So twenty twenty five is a breakthrough year, the year that lithium ion battery packs fall below one hundred dollars per kilo wat hour. So today, at scale an LFP battery, a lithium ferris phosphate pheraophosphate, these are the eighty bucks a kilowat ho Wow. In twenty ten, fifteen years ago, that was fifteen hundred dollars. Like, the impact of this is hard to get your head around.
Speaker 1: Is that mostly because of demand from car manufacturers and things like that in phone manufacturers or was it in uptick and supply that came before demand.
Speaker 2: It's mostly demand, and demand has caused manufacturing to scale the same way that solar prices were driven down by China scaling up their production to meet demand. This is a price warring China over battery. So the point where Sherman g is actually telling the companies you need to cool it because they're hurting each other and trying to get the prices down as fast as possible. Wow, And they're just manufacturing at scale with very little control and making very very cheap batteries to the point where it's just now it's pretty much the rule in Australia if you're going to put a solar panel on a roof, you have to put a battery in the good news is the battery's just not that expensive anymore. Prices have come down a lot. You know, you want twenty yellow lot hours in your house, Well that today is two or three thousand dollars, right Like, that's now not that much more than It's all on the line of the solar prices. So we're getting down to very economical prices. It's going to take a while for it to go through the pipeline.
Speaker 1: I thought those Tesla batteries were still really expensive, though.
Speaker 2: They are, but they need their prices need to fall and their competitors are coming at them. And again, these batteries only hit this price of this year. It's going to take a couple of years for you to see them in the pipeline. Okay, but the reality is battery prices are tanking.
Speaker 1: Is there enough natural resource lithium in all of those things that make those to sustain this kind of growth.
Speaker 2: There is lots of lithium. What there isn't a lot of is cheap lithium. So for many years, because we don't use that much lithium, because the batteries tended to be small, we were able to sustain the industry on the back of some extremely cheap lithium. Lithium salts essentially boiling out of the ground in places like the Atta Kama Desert in Chili. So this is a place where lithium phosphates are literally coming out of the ground. You pump that water up, that briny water up, You put it in big ponds, let it evaporate off, you scrape it up, and you send it off to production. Wow, there are other lithium stores. There are lithium in clay beds, there are hard rock lithiums. They're just more expensive to extract.
Speaker 1: Are we taking lithium away from the psychology field where it's prescribed as a medication.
Speaker 2: That's grams of lithium versus tons of lithium.
Speaker 1: I know that's just a stupid sit on it, Sorry, but I would make the point.
Speaker 2: We got down to eighty dollars at kilowatt hour while materials and manufacturing costs have been rising, right, Like, the cost of making things is definitely up, the cost of the ingredients is definitely up, and yet the prices have still fallen. Now now we get into some of the other battery technologies are being developed, and one of them is a sodium battery. Now, sodium batteries have been around for really long time. Sodium is a slightly heavier version of lithium. They are both alkali metals. Sodium is even more common than lithium by a large degree. That's the stuff in salt, it's everywhere. The problem is it's been difficult to manufacture. You can make it into a battery. By its nature, you presume it would not be as dense as a lithium battery. And then CATL came out with this announcement this year. Now c ATL is a Chinese company that's been making it makes lithium batteries for everybody, like this is one of the big players. So kind of it's like when Toyota says something like it kind of had to take these guys seriously. They're one of the biggest battery manufacturers in the world. And this is what they said. Yeah, we know we got LFP batteries down to eighty bucks a kilo one hour. We figured out how to make sodium batteries for ten dollars a kilo one hour. What it's crazy. And they announced a battery called Naxtra. So Naxtra they say this is a sodium based battery is a ten thousand cycle battery with a large temperature into the lithium. Most lithium batteries LFP, especially butt NMC as well. Three thousand cycles is normal. Three thousand cycles is a lot. You got a three thousand cycle battery. That means that's how many times you can recharge it before it does discharge and recharge, right, and then before it starts to really lose potential. Right. And in a three thousand cycle batteries, this is what you get in like a Tesla, right, which means that after two hundred thousand miles of driving or so, your battery is down ten to fifteen percent in capacity. Right's a pretty good deal. They're talking about ten thousand cycle battery, so now you're talking a million miles before you start losing capacity.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: And because of the structure of sodium, it's more tolerant to colder and higher temperatures. So one of the key things to making lithium batteries successful in cars has been the temperature management system. We pump fluid around these batteries to keep them so they don't get too cold and they don't get too warm. It's expensive. It's part of what makes an electric car expensive, but it makes sure those batteries last.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sodium nut like water, Well, lithium doesn't like water. All alkali one metals do not like water. Right, Okay, that's just a normal part of the problem. So sodium is no more dangerous if it gets wet than lithium.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, now it's always problematic. They can both burn, but we've built systems to deal with that. The bigger issue is sodium is not going to be as dense as lithium. However, they say, again we haven't seen this the extra battery yet, that they're getting one hundred and seventy five kilo wat hours per kilogram. That's comparable to lithium phosphate batteries. It's not as good as NMC batteries like your top of the line batteries today are three hundred kilowat hours per per kilo. They're just expensive, about one hundred and seventy five. That's feasible for a car.
Speaker 1: So it's going to be a little bigger. Nominally, it would be probably not. You're probably not going to see it in a phone any day soon.
Speaker 2: No, you probably wouldn't, but then again, the battery is not that expensive in a phone. We're talking about battery storage for grid, battery storage for houses, batteries and batteries and cars. Yeah, this is in the league. And if it's a ten dollars a kilo wat hour, like, sign me up, I'll give you more space in my garage exactly. If you can drop by household battery price tenfold, which is what you're talking about, that's really great. They've also announced another battery called a free void battery, where they've got a control. They mix sodium and lithium battery designs and they use a smart controller to figure out what batteries do use under what conditions. Wow, which is very clever. The questions here is why have these why have why are sodium batteries more expensive than lithium batteries until COTL made this announcement, And the biggest thing is just manufacturing at scale. They just have not matured that the pipeline. There's not as many ingredients as available. The material costs are lower, but it's not as plentiful and the process is not as mature. The lithium process has been worked on so hard in the past twenty years, it's just driven the price down. So the concern here is is everything CTL is saying true? Right? Is this knowing how competitive the Chinese market is in cl is the Chinese company? Are they saying this to freak out their competitors more than they can actually pull it off? Like I'm really keen If it's true, this is a huge breakthrough. We just need to actually be able to buy the product well in a huge disruption, right yep. It just means there's no excuse not to have batteries, Like how far are we from simply you know, you put the battery on the solar panel and it naturally backs itself up like that, and that's it if they're that cheap. But today, right now, lithin perophosphate batteries are the cheapest known tech. They've hit it. They've hit a remarkable floor and they're going to continue down.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: All right, there was a question about solid state batteries. This is an ongoing debate. This is you know, sol state batteri is one of those voodoo terms right.
Speaker 1: Where Yeah, what does that even mean?
Speaker 2: I thought, if we just do this, everything will be better, right, The battery will last forever. That's the idea that the electrolyte in the battery, which is normally a liquid or gel, is a solid, So they should be denser, should be safer, they should last longer, they should charge faster. It's just like it's the holy grail. Okay. And lots of companies have constantly said, oh, yeah, we've got solid estate batteries coming soon, and our cars are going to be amazing. Hyundai said they had a pilot project this year they're going to make mass producing in twenty thirty. The problem is every time someone says to have a solid state battery, somebody smart takes that battery apart and finds some liquid in it. Yeah, okay, so we're kind of playing with the term, like the solid state itself is like it's more solid or less solid, or it's quasi solid. So it's all about almost there, right. We never really nailed this completely, and so that that's still going on. Lots of companies making promises but just don't have the real batteries here. Yeah, all right, a couple more battery texts then we will take a break form energy. This is that iron air battery. I check, keep checking it on this was the idea of you know, lithium ion batteries are kind of silly for grid storage. They have a natural like eight hour cycle or their natural discharges about eight hours. There's not enough for going overnight. It's not actually a good tech for this. And let's face it, their battery designs are about being able to be moved around, right, whether it's in your phone or in your car, stuff like that. In an iron air battery, while much bigger, heavier, and hotter, it's perfect for grid storage because about back then, at least a few years ago, there was ten percent of the price of lithium ion battery, although lithia myon batteries have gone a lot cheaper. We talked about these last year too, and we are talking about for several years now, and their form Entergy's original projects in Minnesota. It's called the Great River Energy Project. It was supposed to be a one point five megawatt storage with one hundred and fifty megawatt hours because it has a natural one hundred hour discharge time that's pretty potent, not just lasting overnight, but literally lasting for days. They were supposed to be done in twenty twenty three. They finally started actually installing per batteries in October of twenty five.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So, and I've read the press releases of they're just saying, hey, you know what, manufacturing at scale is hard. And so they built out this factory in Virginia when they raised more money back in twenty four and they finally said they're producing their grid scale capable batteries. They've started to populate the Minnesota the Great Energy Facility finally.
Speaker 1: All right, So the idea here if I'm correct, me if I'm wrong, but is that the grid itself is backed up, so you're going to have less brownouts and things like that. Is that true?
Speaker 2: Well, well, the idea is runs have a huge amount of solar, it charges up that battery and then overnight you run on the battery. Oh right, okay, simplest thing, right, if we have enough story we have a certain amount of storage like that so that we can run the low loads at night, then we don't have to have as much base low power. But you're right, these battery storage facilities are about stabilizing grids when you're switching sources. But there's all kinds of advantage to having a certain amount of battery, right, right, and normally they've been using lithium my own because they're cheap relatively speaking at scale. Right, this is what Tesla pushed on for all those years and have built out a bunch of facilities for them. They've got their challenges, they overheat, they catch fire, that kind of thing, but they've done this. But the whole idea is the iron air battery is very inexpensive. Bigger and hotter and heavier, None of that matters when you put a fence around it. And that means how you can feed various power sources into that to keep it charged and then discharge it when you need it. And so they've got they've been building out the Great River Energy Project. Finally, they've also got contracts with in California and Georgia, Maine, but I think everybody's just waiting to see how Minnesota goes at this point. But they apparently are really installing batteries, so it's great. Now they got to find out if the run times actually play out the way they do, and have they managed to heat properly and you know that all that like, there's still more to learn, but form Energy is making progress. Another one I mentioned last year is polar night Energy. This is that project in Finland where they built a one megawat sand battery, right, that was very interesting. That stored one hundred megawatt hours of power. So we're going to discharge it a one megawatt for one hundred hours.
Speaker 1: The whole idea is that sand holds heat, right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So you use the excess solar to heat up the sand about six hundred degree cent a grade. You have US ninety conversion efficiency. They blow air through it which superheats that air and then it can flash steam or they can use the air directly in commercial process so forth. This thing went live in June this year, in twenty twenty five. A megawatt with one hundred megawat hours of storage. Wow, And the result has been successful, and so they're building another one in Vaski, Finland. They're now building to megawatt two one hundred and fifty megawatt hour. So construction to start next year in twenty six, completion and operation in twenty seven. This is twenty four hundred metric tons of sand in a silo fourteen meters hide and fifteen meters wide. It's just sand that it's one of those things that works at scale, and so that's a great success story. They've got a cheap source of sand. It's just the ceramic residues. It's not that silicon's hand, but it works for them. And so congrats to Polar Night Energy, new project, even bigger. Okay, let's take a brief break and then we'll come back and talk a hydrogen sounds good.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, and we're back, gets the dot net Rocks twenty twenty five Energy geek out. Mister Campbell is about to talk to us about some hydrogen stuff.
Speaker 2: Because we're on the back half and.
Speaker 1: This kind of what happened to hydrogen?
Speaker 2: Oh what happened to hydrogen? And Kiaran landing online.
Speaker 1: Where's my hydrogen car?
Speaker 2: Anyway, that is exactly what Kiaren said, he gets where's my hydrogen car? It's like, look, I mean, Toyota's got their hydrogen car, right. Both guys who got one thought it was great. These are very you know, the problem with the mirror is a cool little hydrogen cell car. But hydrogen cells are hot, they need a lot of maintenance. They're expensive. You know, the battery car has one. Yeah, although these days is a big pushback to go back to hybrids, which you know, and arguably one of the reasons people like hybrids because then you have some gas that they can charge that battery, so you're sort of use you a mix of both for a more mechanically complicated car. But you know who's happy when you have a more mechanically complicated car your dealer. You know, dealers don't like electric vehicles because there's nothing for them to do, right, and so they don't like selling them. They'd much rather sell you a hybrid because it means you're going to be back every quarter to get some maintenance stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, the dealers have to ship from being mechanics to being electric electrical engineers and computer technicians, right, I mean, but.
Speaker 2: Even then, there's just not that much for you to do. Look, I own a Rivian. I take it in once a year, and even then that's just to change like air filters and theory. I could do that myself, you know, other than occasional warranty where it's it's just nothing to do on electric cars, and that the dealers are very unhappy about them.
Speaker 1: But the oil and gas. She love hydrogen because they are the sources of hydrogen. Most hydrogen is made from natural gas, and so it means their pipelines are still important all this stuff they've invested in. Hydrogen prices have not fallen at all. Last year there are about five thousand dollars e metric ton.
Speaker 2: This year they're about five thousand dollars a metric ton, so they're just not going anywhere. We make the vast majority of hydrogen using steam reformation, which is where you take uh methane gas and you pump a bunch of about six megawat hours of electricity into it to make a ton of hydrogen. You'll also spin out ninety twelve tons of carbon dioxide in the process. Most hydrogen today, which is used in industrial processes primarily.
Speaker 1: That's how it's made. It's not all that clean, is it. No, Well, it's a lot. It's a lot of carbon dioxide for the amount of hydrogen to make. Now you can up the power consumption threefold, go to about twenty five megawat hours.
Speaker 2: It's almost fourfold really, and you can do methane pyroalysis. Now you'll make it. You'll make a ton of hydrogen and three tons of solid carbon which you can bury or at least contains you're not emitting carbon dioxide. It just costs moreau's a lot more energy. But most people think about making a hydrogen what the way you did in the lab at school, with electrolysis.
Speaker 1: Of electricity and water.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, So if you want to make a ton of hydrogen with electrolysis, that's sixty megawat hours, So ten times would it costs in electricity from steam reformation.
Speaker 1: But it's a good use for solar energy, isn't it if it's excess power. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of the ideas is switching access power. But the problem is that to do electrolysis at scale, you can't just turn it on quickly, right. It takes about an hour or two hours for those systems to get up and running, sometimes like five or six hours, So you can't always take advantage of power that way. It's hard.
Speaker 1: You have to have big and or numerous membranes right right, Well, the electrolysis is more.
Speaker 2: Gas capture, so they don't have make of a problem. Okay, And just to be clear, you know we're talking about the problem with fuel cells, is your typical way to turn a hydrogen back into electricity. So if you take a ton of hydrogen and you run it through a fuel cell, you'll get about three point three megawatt hours of electricity from it in a bunch of whiters. So you just spent sixty megawat hours to make that ton of hydrogen to get three megawaan hours back. Yeah, it's a twentyfold loss.
Speaker 1: It's a lot more efficient to use electricity in batteries in a car than hydrogen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just you know, and fuel cells are pricey and unreliable, and it's just a problem. Right, And let's face it, hydrogen is it makes more sense to move methane around that does to move natural gas around. The hydrogen Hydrogen leaks out of everything, right, right, it's such a fine it's such a thin gas. It'll escape constantly.
Speaker 1: And aren't they engines loud to.
Speaker 2: Well, it can be, but there's solutions to all of that. But you just need so much more of it. Right, to move the same amount of energy in as hydrogen gas and methane, you need to move three times more volume. So that costs more energy.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: So one of the ideas if you're going to make hydrogen at scale is actually making into meth into ammonia. Oh so that's a you know, because an ammonia atom is a nitrogen atom with four hydrogens attached to it. Now, traditionally we make ammonia for fertilizer or fertilizers using the haber Bosch process. Right, and this is another, you know, very dirty process because you do that steam reformation to make hydrogen. Then you draw that and then I should off that you have another process to buying the two together.
Speaker 1: You also use it to make bombs.
Speaker 2: Well it's the same stuff, right ye, And you know fertilizer, that's whatever. You know, that big deal. So there's this idea of green ammonia. So now building out excess clean energy sources to do your hydrogen extraction with electrolysis and then combine it with nitrogen to make ammonia, which much easier store. It's an easy liquid to work with. We already have a system for doing all of this. I think it's interesting about ammonia is you can use it in a rocket, you can use it in an engine. That stuff will burn.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: And it's emissions are nitrogen and water. Huh, two things that we need. It's just a yeah, it's just an ammonia's expensive to make. It is normally a very dirty process to make it. So once again, the Chinese step in with a huge solar plant out in Chief and they're making three hundred and twenty thousand metric tons of green ammonia using wind, solar and battery systems. Now their ammonia is more expensive than regular ammonia. So far, they think they can get to price parity by twenty twenty eight. But there's a whole movement happening. There might even stand to be its own geek out on what you can use ammonia for if you can produce it cleanly enough and it's scalely enough and cheaply enough to operate in engines as well as just making fertilizer.
Speaker 1: All right, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk a little about geothermal. We've talked about it before, obviously, we talk about it every year. Traditional geothermal, you're looking for guysers, so you're looking for a place where water is interfacing with high temperature rocks, typically in volcanic areas, so think New Zealand, Iceland. But every time those guys try and build germal thermal power, often they destroy the guys are based in the process. The shock of cold water being deliberately pumped in the system damages it, and then the water disappears and the whole thing stops working. And the expensive part of geothermal power is drilling, is putting those pipes in the first place. And so when the system shifts like that, you've spent a lot of money. You don't get a lot of results. But we know that the rocks are hot everywhere. You just have to drill a little further, and they tend to be dry rock, so they don't have water in them and they're not permeable to water first place. And this is where fracking comes into play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew we were going to talk about fracking, the fracking stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So fracking was developed to extract methane and oil from shale beds, which sometimes contaminates waterways. So, but if you drill away from the waterways and the different layers of rock down deeper, where the rocks are hotter, you can fracture that rock and pump water in it to superheated. So you drill in at least two holes the original designs, that's what they do, and then pump in the fracking, fluid shatter the rock and then you try and pump water through it. See if you get steamed from that. This technology has been advanced a lot of It's a company called Fervo Energy, and we've talked about them before. They've done pilot projects back in twenty three and they've raised a ton of money. And what they're doing is horizontal drilling. So they drill in on either side of a dry rock bay where they think they can get enough temperature, and then they go horizontally into it to the fracturing and that way they if they actually have a problem where they have a shock that causes the water to leak away the main drill lines, the expensive ones don't have to rejail. They just redrill the horizontal parts. So far, they're doing what they call an open solution, where they're not actually making those two pipelines meet. Like there's a whole idea of we could build a seal loop for this, but that really hasn't been done yet. So far, they're still using fracking to pump this through. The problem is that when you use fracking, you are you have to follow the regulations of oil and gas, which are now these days pretty tightly regulated because of all the problems that have happened, and so there's a whole conversation going on about changing the regulations around all of this. Because they aren't touching waterways, they are going into dry rock, they're going they're not trying to extract oil, they're not in decreasing the density on the soils that might cause collapse and things. They don't have those same problems. But they now have a power purchase Creaming from California in the megawatt class, so they built a smaller facility a megawa, a single megawat in Utah. Google has been funding them a bunch because they want to use their power for their AI data stators. But in twenty twenty six they expect to be having several hundred megawats of power for California off of this technique. So they've definitely matured and are scaling up. Most higher geroelectric our most geothermal power plants are only in the tens of megawats the biggest ones. Some of them are much smaller than that, so you need to make a lot of them for them scale, but no emissions right, no consumable The water is reused over and over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is really a good power system that can last for a long time if we can get it right. So what Fervro's doing is compelling and important. You know.
Speaker 1: I always when we talk about geothermal, I talk about using a geothermal system for home heating and cooling. Yeah, and so the idea there is and my uncle did this, talk about this every year. But the idea there is that you know, twenty thirty feet below the ground.
Speaker 2: And even six six doesn't have to be that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, well there's the temperature is consistent, and it's usually depending on where you are in North America anyway, between fifty and seventy five degrees right hotter places, it's going to be hotter, obviously, But let's say it's fifty degrees. So that is cool enough to cool you when the temperature is when it's very hot outside and warm enough to keep you warm in freezing cold. So what you do is you run a pipe below the ground, right, and it either heats up or cools down, becomes fifty degrees and then you can blow air over that pipe when it comes out of the ground, and and there you have it. So you have warmer and.
Speaker 2: Cool air, typically a pup fluid through the loop, and so the fluid it's you know, it's normally around sixty degrees fahrenheit. Yeah, it's what you're going to get ten fifteen feet underground all the time. And sixty degrees is great for cooling. It's plenty cool. Yeah, but it's also a great start for warming up. Right. You know, if you could start at sixty instead of zero zero and then heat it up to seventy, everybody's pretty happy. Well, and it's sixty degrees, your pipes aren't going to freeze, right, Yeah, nothing's going to freeze.
Speaker 1: Nothing's going to freeze.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the advantage here is just a good starting point of everything. The downside is it depends on the ground. You know, I can't have geo thermal power here for my house because it's all rock. The cost of drilling that would be crazy, right. You need ground that you can put those pipes down into, but if you've got it, it's expensive to install.
Speaker 1: Also, if you're going to run that in lieu of an air conditioner, you're going to need a dehumidifier. Because I did notice this at my uncle's house that it was very wet in the house when it was cool, which is the opposite of what you get with air conditioning, right with regular yeah, where you dry everything out. One last aspect on geothermal we mentioned them before, quas energy. These are the guys that instead of using conventional drills, are using microwaves to do drilling.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's a lot of energy. But the interesting thing about this is you're literally vaporizing the rock with microwaves, and so you need a lot of pressurized air to make that happen more deeper, go on where you need. But it also automatically builds the casement. Like normal drilling. As you're drilling with your grinding head, you're pumping mud around it to bring the debris back up. You're also sliding these pipes down behind it, behind the drilling head to keep the wall stable. Right, Kate, they called casements.
Speaker 1: Don't stand too close to the hole, boys.
Speaker 2: It's all dangerous stuff, right. Those drillers are brave. It's very tricky to do route and so this vaporization of rock, it's very star trek. You're vaporize and a rock to rock. It's actually building the walls they didn't raise any money in twenty twenty five. I couldn't find any statement. So it's like, I wonder how much money they've got. They're still functional. I was worried they were last year. I said, I think these guys aren't going to make it. But this year they were able to do some real drilling. Admittedly, their test run this year they got down one hundred meters or about three hundred and thirty feet. Their goal next year is to hit a kilometer. To do what Fervo is doing, you need to drill five kilometers turn sideways. Yeah, so they're a long way from production, but they seem to still be in business. So they're still functioning even if they're not doing particularly well. So I hope for them because if they can improve the drilling process, so much the better. But you know, meantime existing drilling, the downside of the mechanical drilling is the head swear out. Then you have to stop, pull the whole thing back, put a new head on, and go again. So you the deeper your drill and more expensive it gets by a lot, right, But Furrow is making it work. In a five kilometer drill, you know, between three and five, depending on the rock beds that are working in. Okay, all right, ready to get in the new clear this is gonna be a long part.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. My friend all.
Speaker 2: Right again the kiaren Land and the guy, where's my car?
Speaker 1: My car?
Speaker 2: He says, where's my mini nuke for my house? Right?
Speaker 1: Same same thing, or at least my town. You know that would be nice.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about conventional nuclear. Last year I mentioned this is the Vaugetall facility. This is in Georgia where they build reactors three and four. So normally in America there's only ever been two reactors. This is the first time we've had a four reactors set, the first new reactors in decades. These are Westinghouse eight P one thousand Gen three pluses, so passive cool down. The funny thing about this reactor design is actually simpler than the older reactor designs. Because it has passive cool down, you don't need all the additional pumps and monitoring and so forth for cooling it down in an emergency. It's less wiring for your pumps, for your pipes. But because it had been decades since anybody built them, they kind of didn't know what they were doing, and the pandemic and money and the financial crisis meant that where they originally estimated it would be fourteen dollars to build and be done in like twenty fifteen, it actually was thirty four billion dollars to build and they didn't finish until twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: How does it did cool work?
Speaker 2: So passive cool down is that you know, if I scram the reactor so there's an emergency and I brought the control runs to stop the reaction, the reactor core itself is still very hot and it will take days to cool down, and you're no longer running the pumps to move the water through. Right. So this is what happened to Fukushima. They SCRAMed those reactors in twenty eleven after the earthquake, and then they needed to keep pumping the water, and then the tsunami came in and destroyed the generators that were running those water pumps. What we don't talk about in Fukushima is there was a reactor five and six that do have passive cool down. Passive cool down means that even with that excess heat, enough water flows through convection to cool the reactor on its own. You don't, oh interesting, don't have to do anything to keep the reactor cool.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So these were the first of these passive cool down reactors in the US. There's a few in other parts of the world. Brits are building more of them. And this is Westinghouse's design. And I lamented at the time last year that we only built you only built two of them. You've now built up the supply pipeline and trained a group of people for the first time in decades to build a reactor. You should build more. You've done the expensive part. They're only going to get cheaper from here. And so the good news is that Westinghouse has announced that they are working for up to ten more reactors in the US. Now, they weren't very specific about it.
Speaker 1: Would they be able to replace existing non passive cool down reactors.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, that's one of the things that's happening is that a lot of the reactors that were built in the seventies and eighties are now starting to age out. They've had their license extended up to fifty years in some cases, but there are aging out and they need to be replaced. One of the examples would be near Homestead, Florida area called Turkey Point that has a pair of Westinghouse. They had a Marguarte reactors from the seventies and they have a license for AP one thousands. They just don't currently have a plan to actually build. So there's actually you know, when we when the west House CEO said this, we're going to be able ten new new Krali reactors, we think or they think that it's based on licenses that are already out there. There's like four in Florida. There's a couple of new in North Carolina and South Carolina. And so perhaps those negotiations going on with government to move ahead with this production, to get those reactors built and to take advantage of what they've got here. These reactors should last another fifty sixty years. They're very safe. You've already got the hard part. You've got the site all set up with the licensing and the distance controls and so forth. So it makes sense to go forward with that. So it gives me some hope for conventional nuclear, which is generally more tolerated, the same for the European pressurized reactor. And I've talked about this before in I do this future of energy talks now at conferences, and we talked about the UK Energy site be where they've taken the EPI reactor which was developed in France and they've built them in Finland and China as well. The UK of course had to customize it for their own requirements, so they've made it more expensive. They're building two at a site called Hinckley Site see, but they also planned on building two more in size well, which another location where they're replacing older reactors with newer ones and same thing. Prices are starting to fall because they're maturing the skill set. So conventional nuclear is doing better and it could do more. We have these safer designs. We know how they were, We have the existing sites. They produce almost one hundred percent of the time full power. You know, they're running the ninety percent utilization rate, much higher than almost any other kind of power, and they're cleaning efficient, like they're zero emission technologies except for.
Speaker 1: That spent fuel. Yes, but there has never been a single death or anything caused by this stuff. But it is a problem.
Speaker 2: I spent fuel, but it is a problem, and it's a problem that you know, depending on where, Like the fins didn't screw around. They've just built a proper storage site for their reactors and that's the end of that. Right. America has gone around in circles on this for a long time, and it's where you get into this problem of why should one state take the waste of another state? You know, D D that's right, not in my backyard. It's exactly the issue, all right. You know, we've talked about how the current administration has been pretty negative on renewables. Here's an initiative that the current administration started with the Department Ergy called the Reactor Pilot Program. So it's from a set of executive orders in June this year, the goal of finding three new reactor designs to be tested by July of twenty twenty six, which is crazy fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: So they like a dozen candidates were announced in August, and I can go through a few of them. All these companies existed before these announcements, but some of them, what's happened is the government has just made it easier to get fuel and to move forward. So I'll rattle off a few of them. Alo Atomics, they wish the company started twenty twenty three. They're trying to spill, build small module reactors for data centers. Doing a sodium cooled thermal reactor ten megawatts, and they've got fuel. They're starting to do testing. They're trying to make that July twenty, twenty sixth deadline. Ontari's nuclear also started in twenty three. They were working in the military and space areas with tryso fuel. That's those fuel balls, the pebble bed fuel concept. Oh yeah, yeah, but using sodium heat pipes to transfer the heat. So dry reactor, no water involved, using these balls and then heating up sodium and heat pipes. Talking about a five hundred kilowat reactor. Design is supposed to be able to work even in vacuum, so it could work up in space as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So you're going to go into each of these in detail after right.
Speaker 2: I don't want to now because it's too many of them, right.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I just wanted to know if these were safer or as safe as conventional nuclear.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go through them, and then I'll talk about the categories because it's basically they only come down to three or four categories. So once the plus is a mind of this, our friend Steve Smith asked me about deep fission. It's also one of these companies in this competition. Their idea is to build a regular pressurized water reactor, but to only make it thirty inches wide so that they can put it underground a mile by drilling a thirty inch borehole so you don't need a containment vessel and if things go terribly wrong, just pour concrete over top of them. Forget about. Wow, it's kind of nuts, but yeah, put it. Shove the reactor down this big hole on a cable with a mile long water line and a mile long steamline. It's naturally pressurized. Is that deep underground? And you pump water down to it and then heat it up with the reactor and steam comes back up. Interesting idea.
Speaker 1: Interesting seems a little dangerous.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, but you know if it's in hard.
Speaker 1: Rock earthquakes, you know, and a good earthquake and that thing is.
Speaker 2: Getting crushed and might might be problematic, Bye bye, right, and only make a reactor thirty inches wide. That's really tiny, and a pressurized road reactor at that. It's interesting. Last Energy, established back in twenty nineteen, is a spin off of a group called the Energy Impact Center, building a twenty megawatt pressurized water air cooled small rad Sholi reactor Okola, it's been around since twenty thirteen. It's been a while now, building a sodium cooled fast reactor in the fifty megawatt class. They got a lot of funding from tech billionaires. They're looking for building data center power.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going to need it. Natural resources, bolten salt reactors, Yeah, hunter megawatts.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more about the darling of dot net rocks. Yeah. Radiant Industries back from twenty twenty eight a one megawatt reactor called Klidos, which is together that tryso fuel helium cold. That's supposed to be able to fit and container, so pretty small terrestrial energy. It's actually a Canadian company, although they also have a US group building an integral molten salt reactor, so that is graphite moderated molten fluorine just using regular uranium as a fuel. Three hundred and ninety two megawatt. This is a normal sized reactor, really terrestrial energy. And then the lar Atomics another one of the trisos building a two hundred and fifty megawat tryso helium cold. So let's talk to this three there's a couple of pressurized water reactors. We've talked about those before. You know how those work. There is a couple of sodium fast reactors. Actually we can do that later because I'm going to talk about terra power. And there is the molt salt reactors. So the only one to really mission here that's different are the trisos. So this is the idea of building these sort of baseball size or tennis ball size spheres that are a common donation of both carbon and uranium fuel, so that they're self contained. They're naturally protected fuel. They can't melt down. They expand as the heat up, which actually slows the reaction on the They get really hot six seventy eight hundred degrees.
Speaker 1: So is uranium on the inside, carbon on the outside or is it all mixed together?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and silicon carbide is the protective layer. Okay, So they're very hard, it's hard to manufacture. They appear to be unrecyclable. Nobody's really figured out how to recycle these things. Okay, but you get a bunch of them together and they naturally heat up a lot. They get to hundreds of degrees and then you just have to pump up fuel over it. So one of the reactor designs used sodium heat pipes, So just make the heat pipes hot, sodium flows by, it doesn't even get contaminated by it, and that's your heat. Most of the time they use helium. Yeah, the most common trisode designs for pebble bed you let superheat the helium. We don't have mature reactor designs for helium. But helium cannot become radioactive. It's also hard to contain. It's hard to contain. Yeah, but it's safe stuff relatively speaking. In the past, we've read into problems with pebble beds heating up their containers so much they cause the containers to crack and then possibly even catch fire yanks. So you just have to keep moving these pebbles through their store, through the reaction area, and then down into container, and it gradually as they get older, you know they're going to become a stable and then you have to take them out, so you have a continuous refueling process. You just keep replacing the balls as they get old enough. The last few years, So.
Speaker 1: Are these things designed by the same guys who designed the McDonald's play Place ballpit Basically, it's kind of what, don't go jumping in there, little hot It's kind of what I envision in my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but imagine a column with these spheres just sort of trickling down and then they get to the bottom, they come out and they're sort of assessed for what their relative energy is, and so that they go into a storage, you know, or do they go back in and come back around again. But yeah, it's are relatively immature technologies, but it's possible, and this might be just the thing to catalyze it. I would point out that the US government is not funding any of these so far. They all have their own fund. The main thing that government has done with this new pilot I deal with the DOE has provided them fuel. So up until now, most of these companies have had a tough time actually maturing the designs enough to be even able to get fuel. But the rules have changed. The two other category is pressurized water. In that cateador is a few trisos. There's a couple of molten salts, and I want to talk about salts apperately, and then we'll talk about the sodium fasts. So back to molten salt reactors. Typically with thorium. The Chinese with their TSMRILF one in WIWI built started construction back in twenty eighteen and went critical in twenty twenty three with a two megawatt thermal test reactor, so not making electricity, just generating heat. They lit that reactor in twenty three with your enriched uranium twenty four. Last year they started adding thorium to the liquid fuel and successfully brightened into uranium two thirty three. So one of the secrets ofium salt reactors, which we talked about before, is that you turn thorium into uranium to use it as a fuel of uranium two thirty eight, which is the most common kind for uranium two thirty five, the enriched kind are you using uranium two thirty three. So that plant has been completely successful. They've now proven they can breathe thorium into you two thirty three, and so there's now a one hundred megawatt plant to another test plant for twenty thirty five this year. In September, I got a chance to tour Copenhagen Atomics.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: They reached out to me and they liked their shows that we've done, and they offered to take us for a walk around. So I spent time with Thomas the CEO. Spend a whole day with them. Actually, as he said, it's the first time. It took him three hours to do the one hour tour. I had a lot of questions. Would you want a tour with me? It's a lot of work, right. Well, we had a good time. You know, he loves what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: I would want to tour with you for a distillery again, Yeah, because the questions.
Speaker 2: The same thing, right, And that's we went deep into the into the questions. So his concept is a container size reactor really for industry. That's about forty mega WA. It's electrical in one hundred megawatts of heat using thorium, with a reactor designed to be replaced on a routine basis, so you kind of fuel it. Once you run it for a few years, you drain the fuel out of it. You take the entire reactor, simply out store it until it can be reprocessed and put another reactor in. Is design they call the onion design, so imagine onion sitting on its end. So it's got a set of layers in it that a utter most layer is what they call a thorium breeding layer, where neutrons are hitting that thorium and turning into the uranium two thirty three. The next layer in is heavy water deudized water, and the reason for the deuterium is it reflects neutrons well, so it's their neutron reflector. Instead of graphite, which a lot of other reactor designs, including the original thorium reactors used, you're using deterium because you can control the reactor by the amount of deuterium available. If the water flows out, the reactor stops, and so you got to keep that water cool. Because the reactor is running in like six hundred degrees, the water's going to stay under one hundred so he doesn't boil, but if it does, it actually slows the reactor down, so it's safe. So then on the inside you have the fuel layer, and this will be a lifthium fluorine and thorium fluorine and uranium fluorine salts. And then in the centuries this adjustable. The center part of this is an adjustable heavy water level, so the amount of heavy water in there controls your action. You put in more water, reactor goes faster, take out the water reactor goes slower, so they are sufficiently funded to build their first test reactor. The funny part is they can't run that reactor in Denmark without they don't have they can't get a license for it. Then Denmark has no new reactors, so they're actually going to set up the rig in Switzerland where they're able to get a test in twenty twenty seven. They have the money to do this, they just got to actually do it. They're going to run a reactor for a few months just to prove the behavior and then do all the testing. One of the biggest things I saw on the tour is that they're building all of these test suites for working with the molten salts. These are very high temperature salts, and they sell these rigs to university, so they're essentially training the next generation of engineers in Bolton Salt.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that Thomas showed me that was really a deep insight for me was, you know, fluorine salts are very corrosive. They'll destroy a lot of They showed me some things that fluorine salt had eaten, and so they've got these metals that can tolerate it. But those metals can only take so much heat. So one of the most complicated parts in any of these reactors is the heat exchanger. So you want to flow these radioactive salts through pipes beside other pipes that have non radioactive salts in it, so you transfer the heat from one to the other, keep the radioactive stuff in the container, and then non radioactive hot salts flow back out. Somewhere around six hundred degrees celsius, the metal starts to warp, starts to melt, get soft, and you don't want any of that stuff to leak. Like all of that is bad. And so even though the fuel itself can go up to one thy twelve hundred degrees, you just can't con pain it well. So the part of the challenge this is running into the temperatures where the materials will hold together. Most of the work I see Copenhagen Atomics doing in those labs is about finding the right materials to just be able to tolerate all last be durable enough. I have several hours of interviews of an interview that spending that day with Thomas I could make into a show. At some point of one of those radio lab edits sort of summarize a lot of this, but it was very insightful for me just to understand how challenging working these high temperatures are, and they different reactor designs approaches to doing this. Brilliant people. I'm really pleased to have met them. Okay, let's talk about Terra Power. So this is a project going all the way back to two thousand and six that Bill Gates backed along with a bunch of other people to build a reactor called Natrium. So this is a sodium cooled fast reactor three hundred and fifty megawatts. Their clever innovation is that they're going to use fluorine salts, the lithium berrillium salts for heat exchange transfer and storage. The idea of being they can store off of that fluid that you could actually put out five hundred megawatts of energy for up to five hours because you've got enough hot salts. And again one of the problems you have with sodium. We've been building sodium cool fast reactors for a long time. So this is using the fast neutron instead of the thermal neutron. When neutrons are split off of your radioactive elements like uranium. They're moving very quickly, and that's great if they hit another nucleus of an atom, but they don't hit as often because they're moving so fast. When they do hit, they tend to split everything, which is great. You don't tend to make higher compounds as often. But in order to have it work, you have to run into higher reaction rates and so, and you use molten sodium because sodium is transparent to the neutrons as opposed to water. Water tends to absorb neutrons, which generates heat and slows the neutrons down. That's why we work in what we call the thermal range instead of the fast range when you're dealing with a pressurized water reactor. Same for when we use graphite. Graphite slows those neutrons down. Heavy water in the Copenhagen Thomas design or in the can Do design, same thing slows the neutrons down. But if you keep the neutrons moving fast, you have some advantages in the exchange. For it's risky and they're hard to keep stable, and the main thing is it's hard to power them up and power them down. So what's clever about the natrium design is you run the reactor at the same speed all the time. You get it to speed and you leave it there because it's just making more hot salt for you, and then you're cooling that salt by making electricity with it. But you don't have to slow it down when the demand goes down. You just store the excess heat. So it's a way to keep the reactor more stable. Very smart, also a great nuclear waste burner. One of the reasons we've always pushed on fast reactors is they're a way to break higher actinides. Now salt reactors can also do that because they can burn for so long, they can keep the fuel in for far longer. What's the problem with sodium cold reactors. Well, the first off is sodium is opaque, so you can't see anything. If you want to do any work on the reactor, you have to drain all the sodium, and I mean all of the sodium, because that sodium will burn in air and explode in water. So it's very hard to clean out a reactor enough to do any inspections and so forth with it. But not that you do that very often, but it's part of the challenge of working with sodium gold reactors. It's easy to have fires when you have molten high temperature molten solelyum flowing around. That stuff burns really, really easily.
Speaker 1: I heard a cool science thing that because sodium is so opaque, that light travels through it slower than the speed of light. And they did an experiment where I don't know as you could actually see the light moving through it, but it was measurable that it was very slow getting through.
Speaker 2: Eventually, Yeah, I mean light speed of light is always slower through every medium, right, but yeah, very slow through that. So there is They actually have a sight in camera Wyoming where they've built the salt side, so the storage and the heating system. They don't actually have the final license to run nukes through it yet. They're to build the radioactive side, but they are close, and again with the current regime and Washington, it's probably easier for them to get right now. They also just took a six hundred and fifty million dollars investment from in Nvidia. Wow, so there's plenty of money around. These guys aren't started for money. They also have a design they want to build a new reactor called a molten chloride fast reactor sometime in the future. So instead of using chluorine, using chlorine salts, and you're dealing with the same compound. It's in the same part of the periodic table. So they have new reactory sides. But terror power is probably going to get to heat and they're gonna build a sodium reactor. We'll see how that goes cool. Hey, one last reactor technology is from the University of Illinois. Just found this recently using molten salt systems to for experiments, but now they've actually applied for a license to produce electricity at the university. This is that microreactor that Kirim was asking about, like where I get reactor? So there's about twenty five microreactors at different university chemists around the US. Right, they're not really for making power, they're for doing nuclear experiments. And so this little reactor is using triso fuel. So back to those pebbles again, right, and they are encased in graphite and use helium to transfer the heat to spin a turbine to general electricity. And so they take these spheres, they stack them up as as raw assemblies and hexagonal as sddily all underground. This is called the is made by a company called Chronos. This reactor design and the helium loop runs at about six megapascals at about six hundred degrees so plenty hot. Again mentioned that magic number six hundred degrees because that's where you can make the exchange your work and they're heating up that's fahrenheit or that's celsius celsius. Okay, yeah, so six degrees yeah, six degrees celsius is what eleven hundred fahrenheit, so hot, do not touch touch, bad near And so they want to use that helium loop because it can't become radioactive. Going over those triso fuel to heat up a salt loop of potassium nitrides and sodium nitrides at low pressure so not heavily pressurized, but also very hot five hundred degrees, and then that does heat exchange agains steam to generate electricity. So nothing too fancy, but they've passed the NRC review, so they expect to get a permit to do this assembly next year and to actually generate electricity for the University of Illinois twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, isn't it. That is interesting. Now, to be clear, this is not something for your.
Speaker 1: Home, No, right, Sorry, Kiaren, this is yeah, it's it's still a whole building. Right, It's a microreactor, but it's not like it's not a generator. It's big, all right.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about the AI side of this equation because all of the tech companies have been funding different nuclear projects that most people have heard about Microsoft and Three Mile Island right in the news for the past couple of years. Here where Microsoft went to Constellation, who the current owners of the Three Mile Island site. Three Mile Island had the meltdown in seventy seven on Reactor one two, but Reactor one continue to operate and was only shut down in twenty nineteen for costs. Still had twenty years of run life in it, but it was cheaper to make power with natural gas, and so they turned it off. It wasn't even worth operating. So Microsoft has basically committed to buying power from it for twenty years. And Constellation's actually certain it's going to cost about two billion dollars to restart, but they should be running in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Are they going to run with the new the new style of reactor or they don't.
Speaker 2: This is just restarting the old reactor, which again it's expensive to operate, but it's been running for decades. Just fine, It's just they turned it off because it was too expensive to run compared to the cheap natural gas, which, by the way, natural gas is not that cheap these days.
Speaker 1: Right, It's pretty obvious why the AI companies want to, you know, are interested in nuclear power because they need a lot of energy for their data centers, which, right, that's why they want to locate the in close proximity to these power plants. We have the same issue that happened in Waterford, Connecticut, where Dominion E otherwise known as Millstone Nuclear Power Plant sits at the at the edge of the ocean there or the sound, and there was something on the table for some company to come in and buy up the land next to it and put in a data center, and everybody said no.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, let's talk about the AI side in just a minute, because I would just want to say, Microsoft's not unique. Google just announced they're restarting the Cedar Rapids Idaho reactor has been shut down for five years. This six hundred megawaute reactor that was built and operated in originally nineteen seventy five, shut down in twenty twenty again for cost, and Google's basically said we'll buy power from it for twenty five years. Yeah, and so'll they say it'll take for four more years to restart, so somewhere in twenty nine it'll be up and running again. Amazon announced funding They put five million dollars into a new reactor design and called the XE one hundred. This is another triso helium cooled high temperature gas reactor. The individual reactors eighty megawats electrical two hundred megawats heat their normal configuration, and they've got a license to build one in Washington State with four reactors for three hundred and twenty megawatts. And again Amazon committing to buying all that power. So all the tech companies have been doing this. And then you know, the other category of question I got a ton of coming into this was what is the impact of AI and power generation? So Jake Fox, friend of Charles on the Blue Sky, Mats Carlson, who's been on the show before, saying, talk to us about what's the impact on AI, and I sort of gave this away at the beginning of the show. Is a AI technologies and the building of data centers responsible for increasing power. Energy is like, well, yeah, a little, But the bigger issue here is power prices were going up anyway because the cost of improving the industry trastructure to support or the large diversity of power is costing money and taking time. And while it's easy to blame various individual points for why that's happening, it's not the only reason. We have put a lot of power online. In many cases, we have power in that's not even on the grid yet because it's taking so long to get it added to the grid. They're not used to new power adding to the grid all the time. It destabilizes it. The grid has been built, especially in the US, to increase power production roughly at half a percent per year, and suddenly we're asking it to grow faster than that one or two percent, and they're just not built for it. So they're struggling to adopt new power sources, to deal with bi directional loads, to deal with intermitt and power, to deal with storage, none of the things that these grids were originally built for, and we have North America has consistently underspent on maintaining infrastructure. The infrastructure wasn't built for this it hadn't been well maintained. It was built to the minimum necessary for the basic uses, and now it's not being able to cope with what we're asking to do, including the additional demand of data centers.
Speaker 1: And the politicians have historically kicked the can down the road for everybody else to deal with.
Speaker 2: Sure, because it's maintenance, right, and maintenance isn't sexy.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 2: I would also say that the perception of the amount of power that AI needs is distorted. These companies, these tech companies are using shell companies. They're creating entities to hide who's building the data centers. They're also ordering up as much stuff as they can anywhere they can get a deal, they will immediately or request power for it, whether they're going to build on there or not off of the same Compani's got half a dozen different contracts at once, but probably only has the ingredients to build in one location. So there's more land being grabbed up, there's more orders for parts they possibly needed. This is why ram prices and other things are going through the roof, because they're putting out all these outstanding orders to justify the demand for licensing and power in a lot of these locations. We don't know how many of these are even going to be built, right, irrespective of the AI bubble bursting or not. They're deliberately putting in multiple applications, deliberately putting in multiple orders. It's one of those things where hey, I want to get one of these, but they're scarce, so I order five, right, and if I get one comes through, then I'll cancel the others. Well, that's happening with these data centers, right. They're ordering as much as they can possibly order it, as many places they can, all the chances they get some of what they think they're going to need. It's all projection, right, Nobody, Their demands aren't that high, and so you're seeing these asymmetrical results where some companies are saying, we have GPUs in storage with know where to plug them in. We've built on a day center, we can't get power. And the crazy part that's happening lately, we're going to put data centers in space right right, which we talked briefly on the space side, but there's more to that story, right, Like, this is a really complicated had set of problems being exacerbated by this competition to overbuild in many different locations, and the pressure is showing. The reason the space thing showed up is that every kind of power development now has gone up in price, even the cheapest power like combined cycle natural gas plants. The prices on the stuff is soled. Yeah, there's currently licensing out for one hundred and twenty new gas fower plants by twenty thirty in the US alone for eighty gigawatts of power. Wow. The previous five years they built thirty five gigawatts, and that was rapid building because it was the cheapest power. Part of the issue you're running into is you can only build these steam turbines so fast. There's three companies that make steam turbines at scale, gee Verona, Siemens, and Missionbishi. All of them are back ordered hugely. So you know, five years ago, if you wanted to build a gas power plant, you could expect to pay about one thousand dollars a kilowatt, right, and you typically we take you thirty months to build that thing, and you'll be a three hundred to five hundred megawat power plant in about thousand old kill. What Now it's three times that price, right? And there used to be you know a one point two gigawat power plant which would take thirty months to build. Now they're talking twice that five years. And in many cases, if you're talking about the normal power plant builds, when you're dealing with your normal half percent growth, part of your agreement with your government for building that power plant is that you will build it on time. And so now this shortage of supply is meant that a bunch of normal power plants are going to get canceled because they can't deliver on time because of the supply chain pressures that have you put on this. It's got to the point where other companies are desperate to build termines. So this is this company I've been paying attention to called Boomer Supersonic. They want to build a supersonic biz jet. Right, we have no supersonic commercial aircraft anymore since Concor was gone. They're gone. So one point five seven mock aircraft. I'll probably never get a chance to fly in it. But they made in order to get an engine to fly that fast, they did a customer turbine out of a company called Florida Turbine Technologies, and recently they got a three hundred million dollar funding out of the Silicon Valley to build turbines for energy generation. So they're going to hijack the production line at Florida Turbine instead of making the turbides for the aircraft, to make them for electricity generation. Now they're gonna be able to use that money to fund the aircraft because they were struggling for enough money. Right, They're going to be testing of turbine for general energy generation in twenty twenty six, production in twenty thirty. It's crazy, that's a different world. Well, it's what And we're all veterans of the dot combo right and of the dot com bubble, and we can feel that this is a bubble. And so there's only so much time before this bubble ends and a lot of these orders go away. In the meantime, you're hurting a lot of people, right, you're disrupting a lot of industry. Don't try and build a PC right now, you're going to play five times the price for RAM. And that's just because of back orders, not because there's not much ram and needed. But everybody's been protecting these straight lines in demand which are never true, and sending their groups out to order and doing redundant ordering multiple times two, three, four times more what they need. And if just simply wipe the market out, it is another like we had coming out of the pandemic, a supply chain inflation crisis where the demand you're over demanding the supply chain at the point where prices are just going through the roof for folks who need stuff, and that just means everything's more expensive. And for what, right you know, if this bubble actually bursts in twenty twenty six, like so much of this is going to go away, and the guy and someone who put their hands on expensive parts because they needed them at the time are going to be in a terrible situation. The joke is these new power generations technologies, especially wind and solar, like they have no consumables. The wind always blows, you know, intermittent at times. The sun comes up every day, and so they key getting cheaper. Same for batteries. The batteries just keep getting cheaper because really once you build them, they last. Right, We're getting twenty years out of these batteries like that combination is pretty powerful. And so this every other power source has this consumable problem. Right, and here we've got these non consumables. If we weren't being irrational, this would be pretty easy to do. But we've got we've got problems stacked on a problem. As these new technologies have emerged, it has made the grid more complicated. It's taking time for the grid and the especially the regulators to get into play, to start actually working with it. Right now, we've throw this extra layer on top of it, with this bubble of building out AI technologies excessively, and it's complicated everything largely unnecessarily, and we know it will go away soon. Yeah, and all this disruption will be for naught.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should just shift a little bit to economics because the certainly the United States stock market is being propped up by all these AI stocks. Oh sure, and the rest of them are family I mean, they're not failing, but they're.
Speaker 2: They're not doing particularly well.
Speaker 1: You know, they're they're not doing any Yeah, they're not doing well. And so all it takes is one default on a loan by one of these AI companies and you know, you're pulling at the thread and it's going to unravel. And we know it's going to unravel next year. So but it's going to have an effect on the entire economy, the world economy.
Speaker 2: Yep, Well, the S and P five hundred for better or worse, represents about fifty percent of the equity value of the planet. Yeah, eighty percent of the value in the US. So when it takes a twenty thirty percent haircut, which is what this insanity ending, looks like everybody's.
Speaker 1: Going to fall. So just in the last few weeks, silver has gone from like twenty three or thirty to sixty eight dollars an ounce. It's just shooting up. And that tells you that people are protecting their money. The smart money is taking it out of the market and putting it into precious metals, and silver is rising highigher than even gold is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what you're seeing, you know, to answer the question, is they are responsible when you're seeing an amplification of a set of problems that we're going to raise prices anyway, and they're raising them faster. And it's amazing to hear the good news stories like and yet batteries are still cheaper with all of this pressure, right, So it makes you wonder when the crazy is over, like, how cheap our battery is going to be? Because I suspect they're going to be even less. And I mean, on one hand, I'm happy to see money being put into innovating on a bunch of these new power generation technologies. I would like small module reactors to be mature. There's a bunch of advantages to building small reactors. You know those big reactors, the AP one thousands and the EPRs where they last sixty years. It means that you consistently have a problem every few decades, you have to relearn how to make come again, all right, and with new models of it. And so if we've got into a model where like the Copenhagen model, and many of these are the reactors models, where they're replaced every few years, it means you would have a continuous production of new small reactors. And that allows for more optimization and a more stable market for all of these.
Speaker 1: So a smarter workforce, right, I mean, you don't have to people who built those reactors don't have to worry about it for sixty years. So in the meantime, another generation has to come up and learn all over again.
Speaker 2: Right. But if we had a continuous supply line so that you're building reactors every day and you have factories that do that, and you're replacing reactors that last to five years, then that also means more intivations, better reactors. We don't it's hard to build a better reactors on it if you only do it once every fifty years.
Speaker 1: Now would you say that they're the trend? And I don't know if you know this or not or what you think, but what do you think about the trend of having reactors not at the building level, but maybe at the town level or the ten thousand people level of the ten thousand home service level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's we're going to see that emerge. That's what small modular really speaks to. And again, if you're not doing fuel handling. It's one of the things about these small reactors is they run for two or five years without any fuel handling at Also, the most dangerous exercise doesn't happen in that site, so they can be closer to people than regular reactors are. Fuel handling is a dangerous part. That's where trouble happens.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But this idea that you drop a reactor into some kind of containment, even underground, and it runs for two years with nothing being done to it. At the end of two years, they show back up, take the whole assembly away and put another one in. It's safer, it's more reliable, and it maintains a skill set to allow them to continuously improve. And maybe this is the way we end up doing it. It's a stupid way, this AI padic and these tech companies dumping money into it, but it's still a way, and so if it comes out that way, we'll be better off as society or as a civilization. I just wish we didn't have to do it quite this dumb. Yeah, that's what I got, brother. Are we going to talk about fusion? It's not a lot of good news on the fusion side. Eider Projects slowly calling along like all of the company. You know that old story and I said eight years ago when when the scientists are well funded, they don't talk, right, So like Commonwealth, Fusion well funded. A couple of news stories here and there, but we haven't seen anything. They've got enough money. They're building their reactor, right, there's no news to talk about it. Tider keeps inching along, you know, spending billions and billions, but they put out their steady streaming new stories. But they're not finished, yet no light there like we're not seeing new light. We are seeing is that a bunch of companies are well funded, but all of them, all of those their dollogies, are further away from actually making electricity. Right. One of the biggest issues you have with fusion, and we talked about this last year and it hasn't changed, is you need a lot of deterium and tritium to run them, and that takes a lot of energy to make that stuff. So we don't have a fuel pipeline for fusion reactors. How do we actually make enough fuel. We make a few tens of grams of tritium a year, and now we're going to need tons of it. Now, first we need to react. You can't you're not going to build a supply line when the machine doesn't exist. So we do have to build the reactor first, which we have not done. But when it does happen, the next problem will be, Okay, how do we get this thing fuel and start to build it at scale? And it's never going to be power toomb cheap to meter, right, Like the bottom line is just operating a grid costs five to ten cents a kill a one hour, so They're always going to build for something. The cost of the electricity is not the hard part. It's never been the hard part. Distributing it and keeping an infrastructure up there running it. That's the heart.
Speaker 1: The name of my next band is going to be Magnetic Donut.
Speaker 2: Took am Max a good name. I like took him took him Max.
Speaker 1: Well, that certainly wasn't I don't put.
Speaker 2: I didn't talk about fusion on this show because there just wasn't a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, they're funded, they're working on it. We'll get back to you in a few thousand years, hopefully sooner. Richard. What can I say? Man, you're amazing. Thank you, long show, my friends.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but so much to talk about, and I hope I address people's questions. Of course, you can always send me more. I'm happy to talk further and put some comments. Yeah, I'll send you a copy of music Coba.
Speaker 1: You got it. We'll see what happens, all right, We'll see you next time on dot net Rocks. Dot net Rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio, video and post production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com.
Speaker 3: Visit our website at d O T N E t R O c k S dot com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and two. And make sure you check out our sponsors. They keep us in business. Now, go write some code, see you next time.
Speaker 2: Got trade.
Speaker 1: Middle vands do the summer time that means home than my Texas in line