Speaker 1: Show Escalante Live from Hollywood, if by Hollywood you mean Burbank. Just two hours of the business end of show business, every Sunday, right here on k EIB eleven fifty on your AM dial, and we are live for once and preempted it a lot lately. But here I am with Sam running the controls, and let's get straight to the hard news. Sam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of stuff happening right now.
Speaker 1: Well, comedian and star of Beverly Hills, Chihuahua, Paul Rodriguez has been arrested for drug possession right here in the valley.
Speaker 2: You mean, star of born in East LA, Paul Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: Sure, the comedian is known just as much for his stand up routines as he is for his celebrated roles as a funny Latino. And uh, I'm acting like like this is like he's not a national treasure. He is. I'm maybe I'm not taking him serious.
Speaker 2: Play A million, told Wand's million to WANs Paul Rodriguez, Yeah, a million to Wan.
Speaker 1: Uh, this story stinks, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 2: I agree. Well, I haven't even seen it and it stinks.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you about the story pulled over by a cop, he's a passenger and they find drugs on him. How do you find drugs on a passenger these days when it's a grown man and it's Paul Frickin' Rodriguez unless he pulls a h do you know who I am? Which I don't think he does. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy and pisses off the cop. It's just a little bit weird. There's more to the story. H. So we're we're gonna follow it, because you don't if you're driving around in LA. It says it was the vehicles pulled over for some infraction, and for sure, that's hard to do. I don't know if you've noticed it. I'm driving like a madman out there. No one's pulling me over. It just seems like the since COVID and the and since the police departments got there, you know, all the oh what is it? The me too? Or the black lives matter, well, the stuff that made cops not want to be cops anymore. In La, less cops, no one pulling anyone over, So it's very hard to get pulled over. I've noticed I just get pulled over for anything. When I was a kid, all I would get pulled over once a week something. So he not only is he not driving, he gets pulled over and then somehow someone finds drugs.
Speaker 2: On him as a passenger.
Speaker 1: Yeah so, I mean you've watched cops. They can't search your car unless you give them permission. I mean maybe if it's reeks of marijuana. But even if it wreaked marijuana in Los Angeles, I would say, hey, look there's legal marijuana available in this. You know, if he and now, if he was impaired and they gave a and they impounded the car, yeah they could search the car. But I still don't even think they could search him if they if they if they impounded the car and arrested the driver. So something's wrong. I want to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 2: Did they say what the substance was? I mean, it honestly shouldn't matter because why were they searching anyways. But I get that.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that would be no like if it was marijuana, you could smell it, smell it. Marijuana has so many legal you know, uses of marijuanaa medical marijuana, recreational marijuana. I don't think you're going to get him for that. You know, this he had it like taped to his forehead, which a lot of no, people aren't really doing that taping drugs to their forehead anymore, So I don't think he would do that. But it was narcotics, so it could have been anything Benny's, barbituates, hoppers, hard stuff. H Yeah, wayludes, kids call.
Speaker 2: Those people haven't been busted for luds since the seventies.
Speaker 1: If you've got stale ludes on you, it's careful when you're driving through Burbank because they're going to get you. Bet I'll tell you something about Burbank. They got their own police department. They're a little more on top of they're a little more law and order than than the La City Police. So maybe that's it, because yeah, I remember they got pulled over in Burbank once just for an illegal U turn. It was it was it was a bum wrap. Uh. So let's get back to the uh oh the other people. I mean, something going on in Hollywood, maybe Alexander Paul are you familiar with Oh no, no, no, they watched our Nicole Eggert.
Speaker 2: It was just this.
Speaker 1: I mean, when I get stories from you, they they they they're confusing me. But anyways, I'm gonna put that one away because this is the one I was looking for. Kim Delaney, you had one, you remember her on NYPD. She also got arrested NYPD Blue. She also got a for battering or partner and mister James Morgan that's his real name. I'll bet you a mille million dollars that's not his real name. Really one million dollars right now.
Speaker 2: I don't have that kind of money to throw around on random bets on people's names. But I will say fictionally that yes, I will take you up on that bet.
Speaker 1: Two things you can do here. You can say I'll bet you a million dollars.
Speaker 2: I could, but I don't want to go around finding a million doll hairs.
Speaker 1: If I lose, well, then you can say, I'll bet you a million dollers taller than who. That's the that's the currency in Slovenia, and it ain't worth anything. You could cover that bet easy slavinyan dollers.
Speaker 2: I'll check the exchange rate. It seems hopefully we'll have a favorable one around this time of year.
Speaker 1: That has saved me many times. Okay, So Kim Delaney, she was accused of battering her her fake named husband, James Morgan, and then he was also arrested for battering the equally fake named Kim Delaney. I'm just saying, these people have such fake names that they beat the crap out of each other. They were so frustrated with it. All Right, let's get to the movies.
Speaker 2: I don't know the real you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know you. You come from top ten movies. Let's go for it. Yes, the big people, the big thing. People want to know. How did snow White do? Snow White was trashed in the media, Sam as we talked about last week. Yeah, and it was I'd say largely unfair. I don't like woke stuff. I'm a guy sitting here on KiB the Patriot, which I've been on since it was the Al Frankin Station, so that really doesn't mean a lot. But I don't like woke stuff. I'm not a fan. I think it's uh, I think it it's harmful, culture, business, everything. But I didn't think this movie. I thought this movie was unfairly portrayed as a woke, you know, attack on Western civilization. It was just not that great of a movie. But we talked about that enough. You could listen to the podcast from last week if you wanted to hear me my full rant on it. That's fine, it's okay movie. It's okay, so it. He's got a one point five rating on IMDb, a.
Speaker 2: One point wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's hostility and haters. They do it. They do that to Christian movies too sometimes, so I don't take it seriously. It's a fine movie to take your kids too. If you're looking for a movie to take your kids to as an adult, you might see. They didn't, you know, they changed the story of snow White because they didn't like the original story. And I don't I don't think that's cool that they didn't like the original story. I think the original story was fine. The woman wanted to fall in love with the prince and she did in this movie, like she's not gonna fall in love with anybody. Yeah, okay, fine, it was still an okay movie. And they had a couple of songs from the old movie, which you know, made you stay interested a little longer.
Speaker 2: Whistle while you work was were we whistling while we work?
Speaker 1: Whistle while you work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Z a jerk hi ho hi ho high ho high hoe off to school. We go with hand grenades and razorblades.
Speaker 2: High ho hi ho, hi ho hi ho.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See that's catchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Number two Disney snow White, pulling in fourteen million dollars but dropping forty It dropped sixty six percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's usually not a good sign.
Speaker 1: No, despite being in forty two hundred theaters. I think it jumped in theaters too. More theaters, less money than more theaters, and it like, you know, more theaters than the number one movie A working man Jason State, the movie like my daughter is getting kiddeped of those another one. Yeah, when that's the number one movie in America, we got problems. Uh, it's okay, but that should be the movie like playing in your barbershop. Yeah, that's where movies like that belong. Okay, Well, let's I'm gonna go round out the top ten. The We're gonna take traff, We're gonna do to traffic. Then we're gonna go to top ten of the year. I got some other snow White News and uh, number three the Chosen Last Supper Part one taken in eleven million. The Woman in the Yard. Don't know anything about that one. Sorry, nine million from Universal Death of a Unicorn I know a little bit about that. From A twenty four is number five.
Speaker 2: They have the posters for it everywhere at the movie theater downstairs.
Speaker 1: Princess Monoki, which is like one hundred year old movie but is somehow always playing in theaters is number six. Captain America, Brave New World. Then Black Bag, which everybody says is great. If you want to go see a movie, people say that's the one. I haven't seen it yet. Mickey seventeen looks good. Novacaine. I think you see the trailer there and you know everything you need to know. And when we come back, well, we'll do a little bit more of this. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood. Let's check the traffic. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood by Hollywood mean Burbank now snow White. So snow White's number two, sixty six percent drop off but doing well in places like the UK in Ireland where they're not getting all the hate. They don't care much as much about Disney probably and they're just like snow White. Okay, it's the Brother's Grim fairy Tale, Take my kids. Yeah, but here it just slammed every day slammed. Every day I get some new podcast or YouTuber coming across my feed just saying snow White is an abomination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think seriously, people need to get over it, get over themselves. It's not that bad. And I think they're intentionally trying to swing a little bit away from the woke content now and I think people kind of jump the gun on this just based off of what they saw.
Speaker 1: Let them Yeah, yes, And there's just people are still thinking that those Dwarfs pictures are the Dwarfs. They're just like, there's a band of thieves and then there's some dwarves. The band of thieves pictures were spread throughout the internet with people saying these are the new Dwarves. Look at this ragtag group of woke misfits and you know, as a band of thieves, they were not appealing, Like it just didn't look like I don't want to see this movie anyway. But they weren't the Dwarfs. The Dwarves were cgi ugly little men and they used to be cute in the movie. So there's a lot of problems with this movie, but only if you're obsessed with the old movie. So if they just take this as a whole new movie. Fine movie to take your kid too. But I feel like I'm trying to get like the backlash is so bad that I'm like, what did I missed? And I'm just dumb. I can't figure out what a bad movie is. But that happens to me all the time. So but bigger than this, what more people are watching and focusing on is a movie called Nijah two. This is a movie that is the biggest animated movie of all time and it comes out of China and I saw it at the AMC. It just played like a couple of days over there in the AMC and Long Beach. I don't even like that theater, but I wanted to see this thing. It's it was really long and really involved and too much information, too much China. It's based on a Chinese mythology pantheon, and they just kept throwing stuff at me, and I was like, I was a little overwhelmed. But that movie's done two billion dollars worldwide, and so snow, I just only done what fifty six thousand, say fifty six million total?
Speaker 2: How do you spell that? Because it sounds like the two different body parts zha ah that one.
Speaker 1: So it's Neja some like ah on yong something like that.
Speaker 2: There it is n e Jah. Got it? I said, knee Jaw.
Speaker 1: I pronounced me.
Speaker 2: Reminds me of my one of my favorite baseball players whose name had four separate body parts in it, Tony armis totyss. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, what's an ass Uh?
Speaker 2: You said on it?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's an ass on the armiss all right? Uh, the dad joke portions are con of the show. Went back to the box office? Uh, okay, what's the biggest box offic what's the box office ran for the whole year? Sam? What do you think about that? What do you think is the biggest movies of the year. What would you say the number one movie of.
Speaker 2: The year so far is well? You said, what this was the second biggest movie of the year, knee Ja.
Speaker 1: Well, in the world, I'm talking about in the United States. Right now, get back to the Patriot. We're on the Patriot right now here, right now, our listeners don't care about what's happening in China.
Speaker 2: Okay, out here, I'm guessing it's gonna be something marveloush.
Speaker 1: Very close, very good, actually very good.
Speaker 2: Is a Captain America? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Captain America. Yeah, Marvel, Disney, Marvel Number two, MoU Fassa. Both of those have got over one hundred million.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing. They're really they're they're really living in on the live action stuff, just straight up out of Disney. They did the same thing with the with snow White, and on the other side of it they have Marvel, and so far everybody has complained and I've heard nothing like either at best mixed reviews about.
Speaker 1: These movies now. But they're making money.
Speaker 2: But they're making money.
Speaker 1: They're the top movies of the year, are these movies? So Disney has like thirty percent of the marketplace across the world from movies and something close to that in the United States. So they're they're they're not. It's not like they're falling apart just because of this one snow White misfire. Now, what was the mister the misfire might remind you, is Rachel Ziegler doing a really nasty anti snow campaign telling people that the old snow White that you liked when you were a kid is bad and you're an idiot for liking it. And she's smart and enlightened. She's going to tell you how snow White should really act if if it's going to be a good story for smart people, enlightened people. And if you disagree she said on her internet by the way, about whatever she says her comments, if you disagree with her, push on, like I don't need your business? Okay, So that when that's a woman promoting your movie and she says I don't need your business to half the country, you lost half the box office? Was what you could say that?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Now was it a good movie for smart people.
Speaker 1: If you're a smart person. Well, I think there is a decent way.
Speaker 2: Was she wrong in what she said?
Speaker 1: Well, she was wrong to she was wrong.
Speaker 2: To do it. I agree that it was wrong about her statement incorrect?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean these are things you can't that. These are the unknowables. I mean, is it wrong for a girl to long for a prince or is it better for her to long to be the hero that she knows she could be? I mean, who who knows the answer to that? She thinks she has the answer. She's gonna ruin a movie to uh, And that's the whole point of it. She's going to ruin a movie because she thinks she's right and all I'm saying is nobody knows these things. These are just unknowables. And some people say, I think it's fine to have a to have the story that we already had. And I don't want to beat myself up and admit that I'm a hillbilly because I like the old one. But that's the Hollywood. That's what the hillbilly's or the just the regular Americans think that that's what Hollywood thinks about them. So they don't want to give them their money. So they lost a lot of money. And they the Disney and oh if I do sharey duty to their shareholders to maximize the revenue. But they did a poll among shareholders and those shareholders believe that these woke policies are positive. So okay, whatever, I just read that one if it's true. But someone barked that at me on the TV set talking picture box that I have in my living room. So yeah, these are nobles. But if you want to trying to promote a movie, yeah, you do need their business. So the number one movie of the year Captain America, number two, Mufasa, Lion King number three, dog Man number four, Sonic the Hedgehog three, number five, so far, Disney snow White number six, Moana two number seven one of them days. I haven't seen that yet. That's the Black Girls that are funny, Nosferatu number eight, number nine, a complete unknown, and Paddington in Peru. I mean, have we had enough of Paddington there?
Speaker 2: I don't know at this point. I mean a lot of us are kind of hitting Paddington overload. There were the reasons why a lot of people started really hyping up Paddington, by the way, is because of that movie that came out a couple of years ago with Nick Cage and Pedro Fiscal, where they they said that movie made me a better man.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I just was. I thought it was a sequel to Cocaine Bear too with the Peruvian marching pattern. But we will. We'll talk more about the Paddington Bear backlash when we come back after this on k e ib A M eleven fifty Joe Escalante Live from Hollywood. Joe Escalante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean Burbank, Let's let's talk about that Paddington Bear backlash. As you know, I Patty to Bear is some kind of cocaine addict or something. Yeah, you know, nobody's nobody's that up all the time. I mean, I know, he sounds like he's down, but he's you know.
Speaker 2: He says it's orange marmalade sandwiches, but I think that marmalade has been spiked a little, if you will.
Speaker 1: So, Uh, cocaine beart comes out. Paddington Bear has to change their name from Paddington from Paddington's Provie Marching Powder to Paddington Bear Adventures and Prove or whatever it's called. Uh, but other people are getting on the bandwagon. That guy from Saturday Night Live got in on it. Let's hear what he had to say.
Speaker 2: Callin Jost on Weekend Update. Here it does that guy. Yeah, that's Scarlett Johansson's supposed husband. Yeah. Lucky.
Speaker 3: Judge in England sendsing two men for stealing a statue of Paddington Bear said their actions were the antithesis of everything Paddington stands for. You know, everyone thinks Paddington is so great, which brings me to my segment. Hear me out, hear me out. Paddington's a toxic bitch.
Speaker 4: He's an illegal immigrant reloading off a nice gullible white fan. I'm away his sticky little marmalade. Pause, are just waiting to rip open that trench coat so we can flash our straight children? Well, I can't wait to call Ice on his Peruvian ass.
Speaker 2: Are you okay? College?
Speaker 1: Why doesn't he just do it?
Speaker 2: This has ben hear me out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can tell. I mean, I love the straight children that they're gonna flash in front of it anyway other people are. He's probably listening to the show. I guess like everybody else. Okay, I think I had a lot of fun with the top movies of the year. Number ten was Paddington Bear. What about the top ten.
Speaker 2: Blu Ray movies?
Speaker 1: This will blow your mind on Blu Ray the top ten movies in the Blu Ray Blu Ray DVD sales chart.
Speaker 2: Wait, I know that they make Blu Rays. I just didn't think that people were necessarily buying them anymore because streaming has become streaming.
Speaker 1: Well, when you when you when you see the list, you might not think they are people. Number one trolls band together, the number one Blue Ray. Gracious, the number one Blu Ray in America. The trolls band together. That's where the trolls start a band.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, seriously so unnecessary.
Speaker 1: And then do we do we need any more movies about trolls or or or dwarfs or all these things. I don't think we do. Number two is Oppenheimer, Okay, a little bit nerdy. That's just for the the Florence pewten.
Speaker 2: Sexy and high and high digital quality.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why that's there. We get it. Number three Justice League Crisis on Infinite Planet Earth, Part whatever sounds animated Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. What is that like a number four? One?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Or it was like the fifth one?
Speaker 1: One and two were okay, yeah, it was number three sounded like a bunch of eighty year old film producers got in a room set and then Indiana's gonna get on the train.
Speaker 5: And then he's gonna go on and he's got a train, he's gonna crash. You're gonna hop on a horse. I think he's gonna hop on a horse, and then he's gonna grap He's gonna jump on a truck and then he think he's dead. He's gonna jump off the cliff and do a river. Yeah, that's great, write that down.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Number five, five Nights at Freddy's Okay, number six, Barbie Okay, number seven, Expendables, what number eight? Trolls three Movie Collections? Oh, No three Movie Collection of Trolls. Number nine, Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning Part one, Dead Reckoning Part two is coming out in May, I believe. So I know you're waiting, And now that I gave you that information, people can just turn the show off because they now they know everything they need to know about Hollywood. The Equalizer three, number thirteen, number fourteen, The Holdovers, number fifteen, eighty for Brady, Oh my goodness, numbers really yeah, this is what people are renting on Blu Rays. Number sixteen, Special Ops, Lioness Season one. I don't need to know anything about that. Number seventeen, Sound of Freedom, number eighteen, Loast City than John Wick Chapter four.
Speaker 2: Why seriously, that's the kind of movie that should be like in the top three. That's the kind of stuff I want to see, high quality action like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I forgot number twelve, so.
Speaker 2: You don't need even Blu ray quality for that. Just give them a VHS for freak's sake.
Speaker 1: Ah, I would say, okay, the last one, number ten, number twenty, Sorry is Willy Wonka in the Choco Factory, the original, Yeah, not the new one. Oh cool, okay, but number number twelve been on the on the charts for eight hundred and fifty weeks. Transformers one eight hundred and fifty weeks on the Blu Ray chart.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Because what do people want in life? They want Shyla buff and Megan Fox. That's what they want. They want, Michael Bay, this is what people really want. You can try to give them other things. That's what they want.
Speaker 2: Eight and fifty weeks. Geez, I told you that's fun. I'm surprised one of the Fast and Furious movies isn't on that list.
Speaker 1: Then something's going on there. There might be some rights issues where they just don't have it out at the moment. But I got one more chart for you. Top ten Netflix shows daily. Here's the daily chart from today. Number one. You have Netflix, Sam.
Speaker 2: I think everybody does. See.
Speaker 1: I think people get rid of like, oh, I'm getting rid of my Apple for a while, and I'm getting rid of my I'm gonna bring it back later. I'm gonna give my Hulu or my Disney for a while and it's come back. But everyone, no one gets rid of Netflix. Yeah, it's the best value. Number one Lincoln Lawyer, and then Wrong Side of the Tracks. I don't know what that is. Number three Jackass, four point five, pretty good movie. Number four Ozark Uh, Number seven Senior Year some Latin movie. I guess. I don't know. The boss Baby number eight, boss Baby.
Speaker 2: Boss Baby was entertaining. I gotta give it credit. It was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Number ten is the show. I actually watched Love on the Spectrum and that brings me to a movie I saw last night. I actually saw a movie. Really, it's called Arcades and Love Songs.
Speaker 2: Arcades and Love Songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, saw at the Art Theater and Long Beach on four Street. Did you see the movie King of Kong?
Speaker 2: Yes, very very very keenly away.
Speaker 1: I knew you were. I knew you were the right guy to tell about this. Yeah, King of Kong. You have Billy Mitchell yep, the arrogant you know, champion or whatever or challenger or whatever he is. And then you have the other guy. And then then you have the referra or weeby Steve weeby Steve weeby. Then you have the referee.
Speaker 2: I've got a picture with him, the guy that used to run twin Galaxy.
Speaker 1: Twin Galaxies, the legendary arcades in Minneapolis or or somewhere that I've gone. Okay, so this is ultimate nerd World. Let's take a break and we'll check the traffic. When we come back, I'll tell you what I thought of the sequel to King of Kong that he is out soon. Joe Scolante Live from Hollywood. Joe Scolante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean Verbank, we got the show business business for you every week k EIB eleven fifty am, five to seven. Another hour coming up after this segment. We were talking about King of Kong. The King of Kong is a movie about this guy who a battle for the world record of Donkey, Right, Sam, this is your world right?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I'm all about this stuff.
Speaker 1: And that's in two thousand and seven or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. King of Kong is It features two people who solid documentary, very good documentary, and it really started a lot of the people who highlight world records in video games. That was one of like the movies that really brought all of that to the forefront. Because of the controversy between the two people fighting for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were on a they were in a battle to the death, was a death battle. And then the the other character in the movie, one of the many characters, but one of the other guys they focused on was the referee or scorekeeper, Walter Day.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Walter Day is known for, I guess managing or owning the Twin Galaxies, and he was the scorekeeper. Sometimes I'm wondering, like, wellhy do you why do you need a scorekeeper in a video game thing? And then they score them.
Speaker 2: That's what the game is.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they love they love this guy that much they let him be the scorekeeper. And he wore a foot locker employee's uniform for some reason. I guess he liked shoes. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I felt it added more credibility to the job.
Speaker 1: Maybe so he Uh. The story with him is like he's always shining the light on other people, never on himself. So in that movie, they he sang a song in the movie. You remember when he's like, he's like singing a song, playing a guitar and singing a song in front of a barn. Yeah, okay, Well, evidently hits his dream to be a singer and he wanted a music career, no kidding. Yeah, so Walter Day, So this movie called Arcades and Love Songs or Love Songs and Arcades probably should get it right because I want people to you know, this is this is a movie I recommend people should go and uh and watch it. It was in the theater. I think they're gonna it's gonna be on a video on demand soon, but they're also gonna show it in a in a couple more theaters. And this movie follows the story of Walter Day's quest to make a record Arcades and Love Songs.
Speaker 2: That's the name of the album, Arcades and Love Songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. So he says he has one hundred and thirty eight songs that he wrote because this girl broke his heart and it made him write a bunch of songs like yeah, it's much like adel and so he's he's finally gonna just like hang up his foot locker jersey and make an album. So he finds a studio in like where they live in like Iowa or whatever it is, and they he needs to make a record, and then along the way they dig up that girl that broke his heart forty years ago. Really yeah, and it's very moving. Really yeah, I'd say without that girl, the movie would only be interested to video game nerds. But with the girl, when you add that element, it's a movie for everybody. So it's very touching and moving and he's gonna and then eventually he I mean, he's a seventy year old man. This guy, when you look at him, you're like, look, guy, you're not making a rock record. You're not doing any of this. Just go back to watching Matt Locker reruns and let us all live our lives. But he's so beloved in this you know, semi entertainment, world, semi athletic world sports, world of esports. Sometimes known as the father of esports, Walter Day. He is. The movie is being made about him making this record and performing his songs and maybe even getting some closure on his love story. So ar kids and love songs. You can look it up. They get a website, they got Instagram, all that kind of stuff, And yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to take a look at this because that sounds amazing to me, cause i mean, if for people, really there's a lot of drama that goes into a lot of these competitions and esports, but there's a lot of loyalty that goes behind it too. So you have people who despite like say we were talking earlier about like Bill Billy Mitchell, and.
Speaker 1: Billy Mitchell's the villain kind of in the in the Donkey Kong movie. He's the star of the Donkey Kong movie in the villain. He's in this too because he's a you know, a friend, still a friend, and he came to the screening. Yeah, I got my picture with him, Walter Day, that's really cool. At one point, then the Q and A afterwards, the director Ed Cunningham said, how many people in here? Someone asked, hey, Walter, you still hang out with all these video game champs. Yeah, some of them are right here in the room. I'm like, what are you kidding me, Long Beach. These people are from Minneapolis or Iowa or something. Yeah, and then Ed Cunningham, the director says, hey, raise your hand if you've ever held an Arcade video world record. Twelve people raise their hand.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It came all the way from wherever to experience this screening. So yeah, these guys are It's a world that has a lot of loyalty, Like you said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean fans despite all of the evidence of one person like say Billy Mitchell, there's a lot of evidence that he may have cheated and hey.
Speaker 1: Whoa may that's addressed in the film. Yeah, I just got to tell you that right now, that is addressed in the film. They put that to bed, Sam, I'm sure they have, and they're very well produced and highly curated.
Speaker 2: Way. I also think that there's so many people that, despite all of that, are so wildly supportive of him that it makes it so that you see that no matter how much harm they may cause, people are end lessly supportive and love these people. Walter Day has a lot of people who are thinking that maybe there's a lot of negativity that floats around his name. His name carries a little bit of negativity when it comes into the gaming world. However, there's still so much loyalty to him and appreciation for what he brought to the game that it makes it so that you can't deny his place in gaming history.
Speaker 1: I'm going to deny his place in music history right now.
Speaker 2: Tell you that it wasn't good, was it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: You know, it's surprisingly good. It really it's better than you think it's the kind of music. First of all, he would be a great character in Love on the Spectrum because he's just on the spectrum. He speaks exactly like some of those people on that TV show. And that's all the thing I know about Love and the Spectrum, about the spectrum, the thing I know. I mean, I touch special ed at one point in my life, so I got a little experience there. But the people he's got the same condition that a lot of people on Love and the Spectrum have. You know, I kind of overexplained things, and and so you think the music is going to be a joke or terrible. But he he's kind of has a gift where he hears a song, a completed song in his head. And he and he had a very serious piano background. He played ragtime piano like publicly for a long time. Okay, and so he can play piano, he can play guitar. They put a string a song together. He just has no stage presence. He can't rock. That's what I'm saying. Okay, Walter Day cannot rock.
Speaker 2: But it's not bad. The music isn't bad. No, it's just not He can't. He doesn't have the energy or the presence for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he can't rock, but the movie is kind of that's why it's so interesting. Because he can't rock, he's got these other qualities. He sings a song, he does something that I wanted to do in The Vandals a long time. It is like, don't dedicate half our set to Q and A. Okay, So he sings a song and then it was a little Q and A. Then he sings another song and a little Q and A. Cool sings another song Q and A. He's got a three song set.
Speaker 2: That's all he needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so in many ways he's beat the system in the live music world. But then when you have the girlfriend comes in, it's it's it's it's surprising and and you know it's just good filmmaking.
Speaker 2: That sounds amazing. I know, really, you you sold it really easily to me because it's a story about gamers and like gaming history and all of that stuff. But it's also you just made it into something like the girlfriend.
Speaker 1: The girlfriend and the girlfriend is very special because we're talking about Nerdville. You know, this guy was like said I was playing. My goal in life was like to get so good at Centipede that like a girl would come up to me and go like, Hey, aren't you that guy with a centipede world record. I mean that's the kind of fantasies that he'd had in life. All right. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood. One more hour coming up after this on KiB Joe Ascalante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean Burbank. This is two hours of the business end of show business. We do it every Sunday here from five to seven on k EIB eleven fifty on your AM dial. And you know, uh, have you watched Netflix lately? It's kind of nerdy this part of this show.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Well, if you know, you might have seen the picture got better. Really if you have a Samsung TV, they just installed some new technology called hd R one zero plus and it's something that people have been mad about, the nerds. And I had some people stay at my cabin and they were like, I was watching your Samsung frame and also that thing is the best picture I've ever seen. We were watching Netflix. We couldn't believe it. But what they were watching was at their house. They had just done it. So you're going to see better, a better picture that is a technology that changes the tone and like the lighting or whatever scene by scene in a movie, and other technologies say, oh, we have this thing. It makes everything look better and it's like a one size fits all package for the whole movie. And now they have this thing, which other people have had, like Dobey has something like that, but you have to pay royalties and so now I guess Netflix didn't want to do that, but now they have their own thing. HDR ten plus. Good for them.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm gonna have to actually go and watch Netflix to see the difference in quality.
Speaker 1: And it's it's about half of their catalog takes advantage of it. So might not be able to figure out which half. I think you'll you'll do something. And speaking of movies, I guess that's all we do around here. But there's this there's this YouTube channel that makes fake trailers.
Speaker 2: Two of them, like oh like one that like they come up with I'd like, i'd like pretend.
Speaker 1: Ideas like fan fiction, Yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stuff like that. I think I've seen.
Speaker 1: Screen Culture is one and Cage Studio is another. I tried to watch them. I couldn't really tell what they had changed, but they were only doing trailers for movies that I would never see or I haven't seen, like the Minecraft movie. Yeah, I'll probably go see the Minecraft movie because it's got Jack Back in it, but I couldn't tell. But anyways, they got demonetized because people are saying you are misleading people and misleading. Content cannot content content cannot be monetized. And they're saying, no, no, no, this is creative and we're doing, you know, our own thing. And it's an ongoing fight. I don't know who will win. But when you're putting stuff on YouTube and your if it's if they think it's misleading, like because when I see them and they look like a real trailer to me, So I'm going to tell you right now they're misleading.
Speaker 2: Yeah see, I've seen a bunch of those that make you think that there's a certain movie coming out when it's really not. It's just somebody's idea. And at the bottom it says this is kind of you know, it's like fan fiction, basically fan fiction, and I mean that's the thing. And now it raises an interesting point, so they're making it. So they've been demonetized, and are they taking legal action here? No?
Speaker 1: Maybe just de monetizing it. They're like, you can stay, but now the guys, like the one of the guys on one of the sites is this is how I make money. Yeah, so now I can't make money, so I can't.
Speaker 2: Make them interesting.
Speaker 1: And you know what I said, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Well, does that mean demonetizing other forms of fan fiction? For example, I saw a video that had a really cool fight scene between Obi wan Kenobi and Darth Vader. They remade that scene from a new hope that that was pretty brief, but it was the death of Obi wan Kenobi. They turned it into something that was pretty epic, and so I would love to see the person who put that together, who created that, keep being monetized. But since that's fan fiction, it seems like that might now be something that's up in question.
Speaker 1: Well to me, it's also like fan fix is one thing, but if you're making money off it, you know, then you're creating what's called the derivative work when you're making fan fiction. So you got to be careful if they allow it. And some people might allow it and say, well, you know, perpetuates the brand and makes it, you know, larger than life. Because people are parodying it all the time. And you can make a parody if there's a message to your parody. If you're but parodies in the fair use world, Like, if you're trying to say this is a fair use because I'm doing a parody, that's not really the law. The law doesn't say, well, I'm I'm doing I'm doing a parody so that it's a fair use. The law really says, like, if it's a fair use, you have to be doing a parody on the actual thing, Yeah, that you're talking about, okay, And so you have to be making if I'm making a comment on the thing that that's why weird Al Yankovic has to get permission because he's making parodies. But he's not making parodies on the song itself really most of the time. Sometimes he isn't. I think he could do it without a license, but he always goes and gets a license.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and it's not like he's that's the thing, you're not making a parody of the song. He doesn't necessarily make parodies of the song itself. I know he did that once with George Harrison and the song was called this song is just six words long. He was parodying the song itself, and it was a song I got my mind set on you. So this song is just six words long, and that he just says that over and over again. He was parodying, so he didn't necessarily Yeah, so he didn't necessarily have to get permission for that one. But I think he would have done it just because.
Speaker 1: It's because maybe George, you're insulting the song or are you complimenting it? Because the person can have a hit with it with just six words.
Speaker 2: And how many people get a bump after weird Awl does a parody of it.
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody, not just the songwriters or the musicians, everybody in America gets a bump, all of us. Tiny little bit of cocaine America wins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay, I have to go and see him in concert this summer. I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: You already got that lined up at the County Fair Yep, look at you? Uh yeah, like I like like where we go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, American Treasure And that movie of him was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Still haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, the movie. It's a parody. The movie is a parody. It's great. It's a parody of his life. It's like exactly what you would want to see out of a weird al movie. It is so good.
Speaker 1: Well, i'll take your word for it, and I'm sure i'll see it soon. But well, I will make one recommendation before we go to the traffic. Ah, here's so many TV shows, so it's hard for me, like, hey, you gotta watch this one. Someone tells me, oh, you gotta watch this. I'm not watching it. You're probably not you the same way. Probably I can't. I'm not kind of watching that. I can't watch.
Speaker 2: I can't. I keep track of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I used to think, you know, I'm in the TV business. I gotta watch at least a little bit of each show so I know what all the shows are so I can talk about them, go to a cocktail party or something, I meet someone who's on severance. I want to be able to see it at least one episode. This is what I learned in Like, you know, my education was a see one episode of everything. That Why when you're at a cocktail party and someone says, oh, yeah, I work on severance, you go, oh yeah, I've seen it. It's pretty and you can have a decent conversation that person, and then you're not just like I haven't seen it. Don't be that person, or worse, say yeah, I don't watch TV. Don't ever say that. That's my advice to everybody on earth. Don't ever say I don't watch TV, because number one, it's a lie. You do watch TV. And but I gave up trying to just worry about what if I'm missing shows that other people are watching because there's too many. Then I started watching, you know, gun battles and uh, what's this active self protection channel? I watch a lot. I watch entitled Girls Turning where it says traffic stop turns from a citation to felony in five minutes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That kind of stuff. I just keep watching it. Or husband realizes when the husband realizes they knew he killed his wife in the interrogation room, a lot of interrogation. I'm watching that because I'm not worried about the uh what everybody's watching. But I will recommend to you on Apple TV, Palm Royal stars Kristin Wig and Ricky Martin. Christian Wig is the closest thing we have to I love Lucy Alive today in TV and cinema, she's so good and so versatile. She's I Love Lucy. We don't need I Love Lucy anymore. We're sad that she died, but we don't eat her. We have Kristen Wig.
Speaker 2: And isn't that Ricky I mean live in Levina, Locas Ricky Martin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's kind of like, uh, like Ricardo. And this show is like Ricky Riccardo and and I Love Lucy. But it's set in the nineteen sixty nine world of private clubs in Palm Palm, sorry, Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Florida. Uh, the the upper elites of the called the country club Living. And she's trying to get in it. And she comes from you know, Alabama or something and Mississippi. Yeah, and she's trying to get in it and and and it's just crazy and there's so many stars and it Laura Durn's in it, Bruce Den's in it. So uh, Apple TV. Palm Royal is only one season. Highly recommend it. And now we will go to the traffic k E I B Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. Joe'scolante Live from Hollywood by Hollywood you mean Burbank and We're still going over the movies and the TVs and all that kind of stuff. Sam, you were talking, we were talking in the last segment about the movie, uh, Arcades and Love Songs, which is kind of a sequel to the King of Kong, the Donkey Kong movie, And you were talking about Billy Mitchell, the guy who they said cheated on Donkey Kong. How did he cheat on Donkey Kong? How does one cheat? How did he do it?
Speaker 2: Uh, It's true.
Speaker 1: We don't want Billy Mitchell coming after us.
Speaker 2: Allegedly swapping out the board that like like the chip board, the thing that holds all the micro chips and all the stuff that makes it so of the game games. Uh, having one that was ready to go on the sidelines that had more favorable stuff in it.
Speaker 1: Also easier path to the gorilla at the top.
Speaker 2: Either that or something that they were saying, something to the effect of there may have been some video editing in one of the tapes there there was questionable editing, and the.
Speaker 1: Show people called videotape. They videotape him playing to prove that he got this high score and you have to and then they send it down to the central yeahvalulator.
Speaker 2: What I believe one of the allegations was that he didn't quite have like one of the submissions that he had didn't have any video proof, and Walter Day just accepted it as being real without actually verifying it. So that's why that might have been one of the things I think that was going on there, but I'm not certain of all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, in the movie Arcades and Love Songs, they do put that to rest by saying that Billy Mitchell can't google things, so he could never have done that. I'm going to take them out their word for it, but obviously someone did that at some point and they figured out you could do that. Yeah. There's a movie coming out on April fourth called The Luckiest Man in America and it is about a similar racket. This is a guy named Michael Larson, who was, you know, average American, just sitting at home all day watching game shows, and he was watching the CBS game show called Press You're Low.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember this this game?
Speaker 1: Do you remember the scandal or do you remember the game?
Speaker 2: The scandal and the game?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the scandal was, uh, well the game is you know this this random uh the computer makes a random.
Speaker 2: Uh, like it's supposed to be like a random light sequence. Yeah, that goes off and like things move around and you have to kind of pay attention to it, so you don't stop on a whami. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you press the button and then and then you get that square and then there's something on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now you gotta be good and you gotta have timing. Yeah what what? Michael Larson realized there's only five possible outcomes or patterns, and then and then he knew where they were hiding the good things, like you get one more turn, like to buy more turn.
Speaker 2: Five thousand dollars and a spin and to.
Speaker 1: Spin okay, very good. Yeah. So he figured it all out by spending six months watching it, recording it, and just watching and watching and watching until he said, I've got it. I can game this this system. And he went to Hollywood and he got himself on this game show and then he got on the air and at first got a little nerves. Wasn't going well, and then he got into his groove and he figured out everything and he kept pushing that button to get five thousand in a turn until he ends up something like one hundred and forty thousand dollars and the game can't stop because he keeps going, so they had to make it into a two part episode.
Speaker 2: I saw that episode. I remember watching that. It may have been on a rerun of it later on, but I remember watching that and being blown away that the guy and I remember watching the game and recognizing that same pattern that but you could see it like.
Speaker 1: You just didn't have the initiative to spend six months and then go lie and steal all the money on the show. That's the only thing wrong with you.
Speaker 2: I was eight, yes, but I remember that. I remember that very well.
Speaker 1: So there's a movie, and that's Lucky's Men America's about this scandal.
Speaker 2: I remember they made a documentary or something about it, but this is actually something more.
Speaker 1: This is a scripted drama and it is, yeah, coming out April fourth. The documentary you're talking about was a two hour documentary they showed in the Game Show Network. It was the highest rated thing ever on the Game show Network.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this guy had the highest winnings on a game show ever. It was beat many years later, but when you adjusted for inflation, he's got everybody beat.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And then he got involved in some other stuff late and it's like he was involved in some other scam, like a like a a lottery scam.
Speaker 2: He was looking for what I from what I can recall, looking for the next kind of get rich schemes like whichever the new, whichever one he could tap into really quickly, he would.
Speaker 1: Do it, yes, And then then he got caught. I guess he was on the he went on the lamb and they never got goodness, they never caught him, so I won't give away the end, but I guess I just did.
Speaker 2: But wow.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, luckiest man in America.
Speaker 2: Fascinating story. I got to look into this. Well.
Speaker 1: Uh, speaking of looking into things, Sam, Yes, the government has been looking into the Walt Disney Company and they have found out that they are not doing enough to dismantle their DEI programs, and they're calling him to the carpet. So as you know, Disney, you know suffered, I mean we talked to him the last hour about the snow White movie has suffered the box office tremendously because Rachel Zigglers made disparaging comments about the first Snowhite and then also other people are just so ready to pounce on this movie for being woke that they just won't shut up. And so the movie's doing very badly at the box office for those two reasons and the reason and maybe because the dwarfs are stupid.
Speaker 2: But and I'm personally tired of all the live actioning of the classics.
Speaker 1: And there's that too, and the old days, they used to just start with the live action like then Mobile or Darby O'Gill and the Little People. They didn't need animated versions of those. The Love Bug, Yeah, they started with live action. Yeah, it's possible to do it. That darn Cat, Yeah, yeah, it was a good movie. Uh, the million Dollar Duck?
Speaker 2: Was that Shaggy or the Shaggy Dog? One of them?
Speaker 1: Live action?
Speaker 2: Yeah? See that's great stuff.
Speaker 1: The World's Strongest Man, Yeah, computer or tennis shoes, a World Greatest athlete, s World's Greatest Athlete, computer war, tennis shoes one and two. They don't need this. Blackbird's Ghosts maybe the best movie of all time. Sam there I said it. Blackbird's Ghosts might be the best movie ever made. Just maybe just watch it. Well now there So, the FCC chair Brandon Carr has called for a probe because it says they're just not doing it. They're still running there. You got to have like fifty percent of unrepresented minorities on this project and that project, and they having these fellowships of I'm you know, making things more equal or whatever, which would be like normally. All right, that was that was the law of the land. Make make this DEI stuff work, have everybody represented. Then now the law is you can't do that. You cannot. That's called discrimination. And we all knew it was kind of Yeah, you could call it a discrimination or you call it just evening the playing field. Again, these are a nobles. No one knows what's right and wrong. But now the law is you can't do that. So Disney's got a They're they're saying, come in and explain yourselves, and.
Speaker 2: Sounds like they're stuck between a rock and their stockholders.
Speaker 1: Well, their stockholders seemed there. Like I said before, I heard a report that A soccer holders don't care about this. They like the d I. But yeah, I don't know. I'm telling you. That's why I'm saying these are the unknobles, all right. Joe Scolante Live from Hollywood back after this Joe Scolante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean burd Bank, we are, Uh, we're getting through the movies and I think it might be time to go into the music business. There's some music news. Yeah, the TV did that. We all know that Fresh Prince released a record. That's right the record and Michael Shay said, surprisingly it doesn't slap.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised, and that's a great joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to do. It sounded good enough. I mean, how what do you expect from an old guy?
Speaker 2: No, No, you delivered it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was pretty good. Oh my joke is delivered. But I think I think the album isn't as bad as Michael Shay it says. But we covered this story about the Limp Biscuit is suing Universal it's their label for two hundred million dollars, saying you got me two hundred million dollars and unpaid royalties because you have a system that makes it look like we're not making any money.
Speaker 2: Uh are they?
Speaker 1: Well, they've had a resurgence in the last couple of years. Bands like Limp Biscuit, Deaf Tones, and Papa Roach. These bands are on fire right now.
Speaker 2: The reason why And here's my theory. You tend to see this happen in twenty year cycles. The kids that grew up loving them are now the ones who were making decisions.
Speaker 1: Date me, other decision makers. So they're also making money. Yeah, so more money.
Speaker 2: So now the people who grew up loving Papa Roaches and the limp biscuits and the like are now putting the spot like back on them because they knew that this was a big part of their childhood. You saw it back in the nineties when you saw a swing of a lot of seventies stuff come up. The kids that grew up in the seventies now had the had the wheel of Hollywood and started to push things down that way. You saw big resurgence of eighties stuff in the early two thousands. It all kind of has that twenty to twenty five year cycle where what was old becomes popular again.
Speaker 1: You could be right. A lot of people are saying that they have very successful tiktoks, these bands also interesting, and that's helping them. But Biscuit his is I mean, anyone can sue their label. There's not one band in the world that says, you know what, I think I sold enough records and looking at my royalty statements, pretty yeah, I'm very satisfied with that. And my band is as big as I think it should be. Yeah, that band doesn't exist. Every band is like, well, my band, if they just would have promoted my last record, it would have gone double platinum and I wouldn't be working at the cinema. That's more of a cliche that happens so often. But in this case the judge has said, you know, they they sue for two hundred million, they said you got to got to pay up, and then they filed their emotion just to dismiss. And that's this is what happens in litigation. You sue someone and then they file emotion to dismiss, and it's usually based on like even if all the facts were correct, this isn't a crime, or this isn't a uh you know, nothing happened out of the ordinary, or they haven't stated even a credible complaint, or the evidence is like, you know, even the even the evidence that they have presented wouldn't prove their case. Stuff like that. You you you can't say like, hey they're wrong and I'm right, because then they say, well that's for the trier of fact. The trier of fact is the jury, So you have to let it go if there's a if there's issuable uh, tribal issue issues. So the judges said there are tribal issues here. Universal tried to say, well, you know, we want this case thrown out, and so it's going forward and Universal has to provide their answer by April seventh or something like that. Now to me, I like this because I manage a band on Universal and I'll be looking closely this. I would love to get a commission on two hundred million of royalties that there's just got happened to be you know, not paid correctly.
Speaker 2: Oh if that's the case, Yeah, you're going to be right there on top of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be right there, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're going to be watching this case closely because yeah, they could be true.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And they're still on Universal. That's like the weird part. These guys are still on Universal. And the things started to like heat up when the things were getting big for the band, and Universal said maybe we want to do olymp Biscuit special. We're going to release this special edition of olymp Biscuit and vinyl and all this stuff or whatever, and Fred Deer said, what are you talking about. I didn't approve any of that. Yeah, it looks like a money grab ah, how does that benefit me? And then it just started saying like you still haven't paid me for this or for that, And then it turned into this lawsuit. And I think there was another band that might have prevailed on a lawsuit like this. Find that out.
Speaker 2: Universal has been kind of getting it legally as far as music goes. You have Drake suing them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're the ones that Drake and they're getting sued by their own artists. You know, when the artists are still on the label and still recording for the label.
Speaker 2: Is that a good look? When you're a band that has that kind of clout where you can make your decisions as far as like which label you want to go to? Is that the kind of thing that would sway people away from them?
Speaker 1: Oh from Universal? Yeah? I mean you could say, like, if you have three different offers on the table and one of them is Universal, someone might say, like, Universal seems to be a mess right now, and then maybe you wouldn't. But the Drake Kendrick one is to me a joke. Yeah, so I wouldn't pay attention to that one. This one would follow kind of closely, and I would see how are their royalties calculated? And then I would want to say, I need an assurance that we're not our royalties are not going to be calculated this way. And here's how I'm going to monitor you people, and you you can't do that to me. Now there's but the real problem for Universal is other bands coming forward saying hey, I think you did the same thing to me, and I'm pretty soon they're settling all over the place, like, don't make us go through that again in the court and all this stuff just here's a chunk, yeah, you know, and but that could get pretty pricey. But streaming revenues are high and they're getting higher, and these labels are making money and they're making they can't cry anymore that say, hey, nobody buys CDs and there and there's so much piracy in the world that you give us a break. No, the streaming revenue is high and uh, and they have ways of making it higher, and they're you know they can because right now you can concentrate your publicity and promotional efforts on elevating the number of streams and you just directly get money from that. Yeah, so no one's gonna Then it is possible that they were like olymp Biscuit, no one cares about them anymore before they started getting big again, and then they thought they could sweep their royalties under the rug and do some funny calculations. And now Fred Durst is saying time to pay up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's clearly doing it all for the nookie.
Speaker 1: I knew you were going to say that, and I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the door was open, I had to go in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's the last one. Okay, okay, promise, let's go to traffic. Come on, we'll go to traffic and we'll come back more. Joe Squante Live from Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Joe's lawyer. You don't want He does it all for you.
Speaker 1: M Joe Ascalante Live from Hollywood. By Hollywood you mean Burdbank.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: We do this for two hours every Sunday from five to seven. So when you're driving around in La, this is what you do. You tune your AM dial to eleven fifty and enjoy some Hollywood business news and some box office stuff and some movie recommendations, and uh, a lot of legal stuff like did you know speaking of how corrupt the music business is, Sam, that universal stuff from last segment. Uh, there's been a you know what like a derivative shareholder suit is the shareholders sue a corporation. They say, you've you have mismanaged our the company, and it's cost us money because we're losing money when you do this. So one was filed against Live Nation, really the the the concert promoters. Yeah, they said they said that Live Nation should pay them a twenty million dollar settlement, which they did. Yeah, so I forgot what they suit him for. They reached a twenty million dollar settlement brought by the investors who claimed the company misled them about its potential anti trust liabilities because the government was going after him, saying, you guys are violating like the Sherman Anti Trust Act. You're a monopoly, you're creating barriers to entry from other competitors and it's not fair. And the lawsuit of leedged Live Nation made false or misleading statements about its business practices, particularly concerning ticket Master's dominance and alleged anti competitive behavior. You don't want to get engaged in any anti competitive behavior, Sam, because the government will come down on you. And this occurred before the Justice Department filed an anti trust lawsuit seeking to break up Live Nations. So you're you're like, you got the stock, and then they're doing this stuff that's leading the government to freak out, and they're saying, oh, we have no problems. That was the basis of the lawsuit. You said you had no problems. I could have sold my stock if you said we had problems. You said there were no problems, and that's why if they went to trial, they might have to pay more. So they're giving all these stock holders twenty million dollars probably based on how many stock, how much stock they own, it won't be that much for each person, but I don't know, maybe it would be. Investors argued that Live Nation downplayed the risks of regulatory scrutiny, especially after the Taylor Swift ticket pre sale fiasco highlighted the company's market power. Remember that, Yeah, yeah, for sure, everyone was mad and someone had to pay, and they're throwing through Live Nation under the bus basically, and they said, you guys, it's your fault. And then the stockholders said I want some money. So not a not a great day for Live Nation, But perhaps they're just happy to get it behind him. There's something going on right now in the defamation world. You know, we cover a lot of defamation cases on this show, and defamation because people are always outraged someone says something, I will sue you for saying that. But you got to know what if you can really do that or not, and you probably you're probably never going to do it, and you probably should never do it. But well, once again, the elements of a defamation case are you have the statement has to be untrue for you to prevail into defamation. Like someone says, uh, Sam is a pedo file, and then Sam sues that person for defamation. Well, first of all, Sam has to prove. We doesn't really have to prove he can just say I am not a poop pedo file, name one instance, you know, and then they have to prove that he is a pedo file, that it's true. And then then they have to say that it's proved that it's something that makes people spit on the ground. Now there is a movement in this country some would say that say pedo files are okay, they're just men understood. They might need a little therapy. It's no big deal. Sam, have you heard of these types?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have.
Speaker 1: Actually, right, there's a movement. Yeah, okay, so maybe someone could say that you're a pedo file, and you would say that makes people spit on the ground, and that's my standard, spit on the ground standard, and then they would come back on actually, pedo files are are being normalized every day in different cultures, and then so it's not really that bad to be called the pedo file. But I think today.
Speaker 2: Cultural standards, yeah, it's enough to make me spit all to.
Speaker 1: Spit on the ground thing, So then you would do that. Now, what if you're a celebrity. Though, if you're a celebrity, I'm not saying you're not a celebrity, but if you were a giant celebrity where the court deemed you a celebrity, there's this other hurdle that the the plaintiff has to cross. He has to prove that you had a malice okay, that you were doing sort of specific reason to harm someone, Like maybe I said it because we were competing for the same job at KFI, so I thought if I could spread that rumor you would lose your job. That would be malice, be a specific devious plan. But if some and that would be if we're celebrities, like maybe we're battling DJSA. And the reason why they have the celebrity standard is because people are used to having celebrities accused of all kinds of crazy things and the supermarket tabloids and you can't just sue for everything, so they have that. But Steve Win like filed some papers in a court and was trying to get the Supreme Court to overturn the the nineteen sixty four Sullivan decision that was kind of that established that public figures must prove the actual malice thing because he sued over something and then they said, nah, you're a public figure. So he was trying to get it that part overturned. That would change everything in this country.
Speaker 2: Hotel Mogul, Steve Win correct.
Speaker 1: Hotel Mogul Steve Win, Yes, And Supreme Court said no, they don't want to take it up. They said, no, it's still there. Governor Phil Bryant also had a problem. He sued some journalist because they said that he was part of a scandal that was distributing welfare stuff final some welfare scandal, and then he tried to sue and his got dismissed because of the actual malee standard. So if you are a famous person, you just kind of have to take your lumps. You know, there's people on the internet saying all kinds of weird stuff, and there's a lot, a lot you can do.
Speaker 2: That's the cost of fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's the strice and effect. If you shine a light on it and say I'm going to sue you, now everybody's talking about it. So sometimes you just gotta just say whatever you know. And if you're making a lot of money, maybe you can. That'll comfort you. But if you're if you're if you're famous and you're not making any money and they're ruining your life, that's when it gets pretty bad. But for now, there is the actual malice standard. So when you see the stuff in the tabloids and the supermarkets and you see why, you know, why don't they sue? Why don't they sue that, they go, well, you know, it's defammatory, but everybody's used to it and they can do it.
Speaker 2: And if the allegations that are being brought up are not true, any mention of their name is still good attention. They're still going to get some publicity from it, especially once they prove that if they ignore it and everybody knows that it's not true, especially if it's in a tablet, or if they're able to go and find ways to prove that whatever those allegations aren't true. If they're lucky, they get their name back.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes people we'll try to prove that they're not true, and then they when they secretly know it is true, and then it gets established in court, and then there then it backfires on him that way, they are a pedophile. Maybe all right, So anyway, we're about to wrap it up here Joe Squatty Live from Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Before we get to that, because we do have a couple of minutes. Jonathan Majors is starting to get more work again. This is something that we talked about when that scandal was first breaking.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was in a movie space movie. He was like he was he was like the god of outer space. And then he was he's a fantastic actor.
Speaker 2: Great actor. He was. He was a Marvel character whos King the Conqueror. He was in a Rocky movie, one of the more recent Rocky movies, or the Creed movie.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, but then he got wrapped up in a a bad girlfriend situation, not saying she was bad or he was bad, but they were he got me tooed.
Speaker 2: They both were equally bad, so they end up he gets me too. But you're starting to see a lot of the people who were me too. Gradually if they've shown that they, you know, feel bad and they're coming back, they slowly get their name and recognition back, unless they do it like Cosby did it.
Speaker 1: And what about Morgan Wallen on Saturday Night.
Speaker 2: Live walking off the set?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says that's how he walked off during rehearsal. So he just walked off he thought the show was over. Yeah, but he had a bunch of he got Yeah, he had an N word incident and then he had another incident. I forgot what it was. Oh, not wearing a mask at a party. That's where he got canceled. Yeah, and then he came back. Now he's been on Saturday Night Live again. But there's a little redemption for some of these people, thankfully, especially in this Lenten season where it's all about forgiveness and penance and I hope you guys are fasting and giving alms and having a good Land and have a great Easter. I now leave you but just a taste of the greatest song ever written.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm