Speaker 1: Hello, Hi, oh Hello, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I'm back in London and you know, we love London folks. But it's like the vibes, the vibes do go downhill once you leave the continent. It has to be said, like even like attempting to leave. It's quite funny because you know, since I'm Irish maxing and uh, passport logging at all times, it's like I just kind of breeze about do whatever I want.
Speaker 1: But Justin is cursed with a UK passport, so he has to line up with all the non EU people and.
Speaker 2: Like you have to now be fingerprinted whenever you're like going in and out of the or something like that. So like I'm not joking, like I'm just okay, Well I'm in the U line like Cinara Sucker, I'll see in there and I go get us seats and I guess it must have been like eleven sixteen when I sat down. I know this because there were time stamps on it, and I'm just like, dude, dude, just like vibing, I'm posting, you know obviously, and.
Speaker 1: Then like I look up and I'm like, where the fuck is Justin.
Speaker 2: It's like he eventually gets into the lobby at like eleven fifty or something, and I was like, yikes, and uh, you know, it's just one of the many indignities and Brexit fundamentally so.
Speaker 3: The indignities of Bricksit my favorite Pogues album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a difficult second album, if ever I've heard one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep, yep. M How are your friend?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm good, you know, here doing doing whatever I can to stay out of the the sun. It is unbearably hot here. August worst month of the year, always the worst month of the true I don't want to hear anything else. I don't to hear things about February or January or whatever. The fuck. No, it's August. Nothing good. The weather is always dog ship and uh yeah it's uh it sucks. Yeah, this is uh anti August podcast.
Speaker 1: Anti August action.
Speaker 2: Yeah you heard, no no August.
Speaker 3: No, there's no we have no holidays. We have no no, no no holidays that people really go out of their way. I think our day is possibly in August or something like that. But yeah, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's too Yeah, it's like nothing but joyless and oppressive heat. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Here in England, everything is on fire quite literally, but I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's probably like, it's probably fine that the other day in Greenwich Park there was.
Speaker 1: A dust devil.
Speaker 2: I probably wouldn't worry about it. I don't think we need to worry about climate breakdown at all. I think it's probably good. It's probably fine that it hasn't rained here for over a month and everything is brown and dying, and I don't think that there's anything to worry about anyway. Our glorious new Prime Minister is gonna do some more north sea drilling about it, so I think that that'll probably start itself out.
Speaker 1: Probably if we just say, do.
Speaker 2: A bit more drilling in the north Sea, I think it'll it'll just sort itself out, won't.
Speaker 3: It all all done? Nothing to see here, folks dusting dramatically, dusting off my palms, turning on a diamond, leaving my work here is done. But you didn't do anything, didn't I.
Speaker 2: I gonna I mean, we'll probably have to save it for eleanor rants about UK politics, Patriot or something soon.
Speaker 1: But bro like the vibes subterranean. Yeah, so what are we gonna do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well we should probably get yeah, a quick quick thing. Yesterday I was I texted you about it. I was going through I was going through the Internet archive looking for something, and I found our our good, our good friend Nicitis Conneats the thirteenth century Byzantine chronicler, historian whatever. And yeah, he was writing between the the the late eleven hundreds and the early twelve hundreds, and he was there at the the the original fall of Constantinople, not the revision, the fourteen fifty three revisionist one, the original the o G fallow up of Constantinople, which he does capitalize as fall of Constantinople, so you know, yeah, periodization is not is not new by any stretch. And he uh, but but I was looking for something else and I was struck by he writes about it, and he when he he gets to the end of it, he's he's clearly heartbroke, and he's gone on like this three or four page like diatribe, you know, because like oh City of Brilliant, Oh Queen of City, oh, you know, like and they all they all do it, and and you know it's it's it's legitimate. He is uh, he is very distraught, but he uh, but he he gets to the point, he gets to the to the end of this, and he starts to turn it into this metaphor about the fall of Troy and Helen of Troy, and he also capitalized fall of Troy like that, and uh he he's trying, I think the best I can tell, because this is a scan of like an old copy of a like a twenty early twentieth century English translation of this. But the best thing I can tell, he's trying to say, like Constantinople is like the Queen of City is like Helen of Troy, and and and he's and he's comparing it to the beauty of Helen of Troy and the ruin of Helen of Troy and all of this sort of stuff. And then like he as he's doing it, he kind of gets his metaphors mixed, and he starts talking about like how it's like they are the Trojans and the Latins are are the Greeks, and and they've reenacted it, and and he just he's, he's he's heartbroken. He's mixing his metaphors. And I realized that like people ham fistedly comparing their current circumstances to a big event fictional or otherwise. He's I mean, he talks about it like like these are real people and this really happened, so I'm not going to doubt that. But and uh, and then just like ending up mixing the metaphors and being so on the nose you can't even stand it, like, uh, god, damn it always been like this. You know, I was struck by it. It was profoundly sad, but also like wow that.
Speaker 2: The like the the white boy longs in his heart to lament the social.
Speaker 1: Realities, you know, man, So it's it's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, just shout out to the Internet archive. Use it so much. I give them, I give them, I tithe.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. They have a lot of old books on there, a lot of old like manuscript style books and goals and things like that that you would normally not even have to go to like a library, where you'd have to go to like a specialty like you have to go to like a specialty place to to even look at it. And but but yeah, it's our age of bronze is collapsing. Uh, we're going into it.
Speaker 2: Then linear B.
Speaker 3: You know what off linear B? What if my and he's but he's doing it. He's periodizing the whole thing and he's just calling back to to to Troy, to the fall of Troy.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I think that if you ask someone who considers themselves a Roman, right, they're going to be the ones who are doing it the hardest. Right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, that's good. Yeah, good stuff. Yeah, there we go. Oh he does say us Romans like he calls, and he's right to do it. I love it. I think it's so cute. I do. I think it's you know, I think it's uh, you know that was the fall of Rome down. That's so so so adorable.
Speaker 1: I agree with him.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, I know he's right. It's just uh yeah, that's so that's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the Troy sounds funny though. Oh good, good times.
Speaker 3: Hello, welcome back to We're Not So Different podcast about how it's it's sad. It's sad when when bad thing happens and you have to call back to, uh, to the one story everyone knows. Yep, all right, folks today, Uh fuck it, it's uh it's Peter. I have a hard time for better and for worse. Uh. But before we get there. We get a couple questions from our patrons, first from Ali Kant, who says, what was dental care like in the Middle Ages and what were the different practices. I bet I got ideas, and I bet they aren't good.
Speaker 2: Listen, You've got ideas, and the ideas are probably correct, is what I would point out. But I hasten to add that one of the things that is going on in the medieval period is their teeth are kind of a little bit better than ours just because they don't have access to sugar.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: So they don't have a lot of the same problems that we do with tooth to kay and things like that, because it's like, yeah, they wish they could access sugar like this is. I mean, you can very occasionally get sugar that'll come up from Africa, but I'm sure you can understand how expensive that is. So it's like, yeah, there's honey, Yeah, sure, sure there is. But you know, it is just one of these things where you're just not getting enough in your diet to really fuck your teeth up as much as we are now we can. We can fuck our teeth up all goddamn day long, right like you know, every cavity I ever had in my life is down to mountain dew consumption at the age of seventeen, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just just just slamming fruit by the foot and gushers, oh yeah, just annihilating my teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely, And there's just like not a whole lot that actually can be done about it when you're eating sugar at that level and they just aren't.
Speaker 1: They just aren't because they can't.
Speaker 2: You know, they wish, they wish they were doing it like us, but no can do so like that is it is one thing to consider.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they're mostly just like hoofing your tooth out.
Speaker 2: They're mostly like gonna get you kind of like numbed up as best they can, and they're just gonna like go to town.
Speaker 1: On that puppy.
Speaker 2: And so you know, like there isn't kind of they do have, you know, they brush their teeth and things like that. But I also hasten to add that another thing to keep in mind is that until after World War Two, toothpaste didn't really do anything except like yeah yeah, yeah, so it's like good luck, God bless have fun out there, kid. But you know that is something that we've got to now, so I mean like Victorians, they're in a much worse situation tooth wise, yes, right than and indeed dental surgery hadn't really progressed whole fucking lot at that point in time. Uh yeah, So I mean listen, it's pretty much as grizzly as you would think.
Speaker 1: It's just also more rare, which is good question. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just thinking about like the actual like because if you're doing this, like it's got to get to a state to where it's real bad. Oh yeah, and like but the thing about it is like when a tooth gets to that state, like it's gonna have to come out cleaning it. It has to come out, and cleaning that out is like like, oh, I think I've talked. I'm not gonna talk about it more because it squigs me out. But I hate going to do this. I do it because I know I have to, and like it's a it's an affront to like everybody who didn't have it to like not do it, but like I hate it. I hate it so much. And so the idea of any of this like somebody rooting around in my mouth at all, Like yeah, fingers or eat like.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, yeah, no gloves, yeah, absolutely, no glass, absolutely, I don't.
Speaker 3: Like there's something about the dental process and like, uh huh the thing I feel, I don't Yeah, I feel not not a fan. It squeaked me out a lot. However, you should go to the dentist. Do not let my weirdness uh dissuade you from that if you can. Hopefully you can, because I know it's not included in a lot of places, and uh, in dental care because these are the these are the luxury bones. They don't you know, they're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean one of my most crank opinions about this, like, for example, a lot of dental care is not included in the NHS. Is my one of my most crank opinions about it is that because it doesn't necessarily kill you and it's a reliable class indicator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they we keep it. That's that's what I believe to be true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get really been out of shape when people make jokes about British dentistry as a result of this as well, even though like British industry is like pretty.
Speaker 1: Fine anymore, Like that's a fashion thing to say.
Speaker 3: But you know, I've stopped except the Big Book of British Smiles. That's important.
Speaker 2: It's important as a reaction image if like, if a British person does get too out of pocket online, I will say that.
Speaker 3: And especially the portrait of Charles, and they're it's just.
Speaker 2: So important, it's so important. It's fine to do it to Prince Charles. Okay, it's always fine to bully the monarchy. It's just everyone else that I don't like it happening to.
Speaker 3: It's it's not their fault, it's you know. The thing about it is is like before fluoride was invented, like not before it was invented, but before like we discovered it and were able to like I guess synthesize it in some way and stuff like that, Like, uh, that much you could do for teeth, like there just wasn't like because they're because there's you can't you can't. Yeah, you can't inject anything into them. You can't, like you know, and brushing your teeth was not like a super duper common practice outside of like cities and stuff until maybe World War One. Is maybe it's it was, it's very far more recent than we might think. Anyway. Yeah, this is one of those things that unites people across all of time and space until the invention of fluoride. Is that fucking sucks for everyone rich, poor. It does not matter. It fucking sucked, just they gotta rip that ship out it anyway, Olly, thank you very much for the question. Uh next, got one from energy in your face, who says, let's talk gout right, gout.
Speaker 1: Chat shout out gout, shout out gout.
Speaker 3: So you know a lot of people. Sorry, I'm going on with the question that. Yeah, like no, I was just like talk about the brother the medical problem known as gout. Anyway, So, like ninety people had struggles to get their caloric intake met while nobles ate so much meat they got gout. How much meat is to meat? Too much meat like fog to chao or Korean barbecue twice daily without any salad or pickle, veggies or anything, the modern equivalent of fibervies a day. I can't conceive of the amount of meat you need to get gout. And I am a modern American.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so here's the thing I'm about to bring some like bad. It's more complex than that news to the chat, as is my want, which is that gout is actually largely not due to dietary practice per se.
Speaker 1: It's genetic.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I know this because my husband has scout, which.
Speaker 3: Oh your husband who consumes who consumes ten racks of lamb a day, Well.
Speaker 1: That's like hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And I got to say that, like his Kiwi family did be going to town on lamb constantly.
Speaker 3: So who's lamb is delicious?
Speaker 2: Listen, it's it's just like they come by it honestly, right, If they're not going to eat a sheep, they're gonna shag it.
Speaker 1: So you know, wait Kiwi jokes am I right am? I right?
Speaker 2: Take that, you nation of wonderful scally waggs who I love anyway. So yeah, one of the big reasons we tend to see it a lot in uh Royalty, for example, it is not because they're eating so much meat because they're it's because they're so fucking inbread, right, they're passing around the same five goddamn jeans and one of them is gout right, That's that's what they got going on there, And so as a result, it comes up more often.
Speaker 1: Now the thing.
Speaker 2: That makes your gout hurt because what happens it's a build up of crystallized uric acid in the blood that usually goes around your big toe.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, it just gets congested down there.
Speaker 2: I don't fuck know, you know, have I looked this much into my loving husband's medical condition? No?
Speaker 1: Dog, No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what does it is actually purines, And so you have to be careful about what you eat so that it doesn't contain purines. And so, for example, I accidentally like poisoned poor Blair last year because you know, I was like vibing out down Chinese grocery, as is my wont and I was like, yeah, I'm gonna make some noodles.
Speaker 1: That'll be great.
Speaker 2: And I picked up a green vegetable that I hadn't worked with before that I later learned was water spinach. I was like, I don't even know who she is, but she's looking at the green and leafy, and due to like my vegmaxing policy, I was like, gotta throw this in the noodles, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Blair had a full like Homer Simpson in the Sandwich moment, where like he did it, he didn't kind of realize at first that it was like the noodles because he was like, well, well, maybe I don't know, maybe we've been drinking or something like that, and drinking can set it off, right, particularly drinking beer. So like beer is worse than wine because it's got more purines in and so he was like, oh, I don't know, like a gout kind of hurts today. I was like, yeah, that's crazy. Anyway, like i'd made I always make leftovers. He takes me to work or whatever, and he's like oh ow ow.
Speaker 1: And he was like why, what's what? Like what did you put in this?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I don't know, you know this and that like mysterious vegetable and water spinach is apparently fucking full of purines. And he was just like in massive pain for a couple of days, which was cool, and like the poor thing was like, you know, really had to struggle through it. And it's like, so, for example, the thing that hurts him the most is asparagus, you know, yeah, yeah, and he loves asparagus, so it's really.
Speaker 3: It's really sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and so like he basically can't eat asparagus, which is so fucking rough, and so yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's actually it's not.
Speaker 2: The point is, yeah, meat's probably not great for it, but that's not the thing doing the thing, right, It's not really meat, it's just like whatever and interesting, so like gout, you know, and like there's it must be pronounced like goo goo.
Speaker 1: Gil or something like that.
Speaker 2: Alf say, like that is the word for like a good taste or something like that. And so I think that basically they're like, oh, rich people get this all the time. Rich people also be eating meat, therefore this has to do with that. And yeah, but it's like if you were also consuming your body weight in ale, which ordinary people are doing in order to stay like get their calories, you would be in so much like all consuming pain.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, I mean it appears that like sixty percent of the uric acid variability comes from genetics and only about twelve percent comes from dietary ingestionous you know, stuff you're eating. I think, like it's also not any meat, it's organ meat that does it. That is a big thing. So like the organ the internal organs being used and chopped up because they retain uric acid and stuff like that. So I mean, I think and a big part of that is like pataise and stuff, which is I do be rich people, which is like and back in the day would have been like rich like only rich people type food. So like you can see how how those two things got connected. But yeah, it sounds awful. Makes your feet hurt?
Speaker 1: Uh, careful with that water spinach guys.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, yep, junior face, Thank you very much for the question. If you want to ask us questions like these, then please do subscribe to our patroon patreon dot com slash w NSD pod five bucks a month. You can ask us questions like those. You get access to two bonus episodes a month. We've got our fifth episode, fifth book Club episode on Between two Fires coming up on Friday, so check that out if you're interested. And yeah, it helps us out and we really appreciate it. Anyway, onto the main show. So occasionally, when you study history, you find individuals who seem to be aberrations in the timeline, people whose ideas and understandings of their own world seem to mirror our own modern postmodern sensibilities to such a striking degree that they feel unstuck from time. I think Cyrus the Great's dogged commitment to religious pluralism within the Acumuenid Empire, which he pursued to such a degree that he was venerated as a liberator and protector simultaneously by four separate socio religious traditions in five point fifty BCE, or Hildegard of being in visionary Acorus, an advocate of women whose arguments for better treatment of women seem misplaced by several centuries, and whose detailed descriptions of her own disability have allowed historians to most likely pinpoint the type of ailment she suffered from. It was very likely a scintillating scatoma, a visual or associated with retinal migraines that caused visual hallucinations and rogue flashes of light to appear in the field of vision. If you wanted to know, Lord Gerard Winstanley, the English Protestant reformer whose attacks on the class system and private property during the English Civil War presage marks and ingles by more than two hundred years, and earned him a place of honor as one of only nineteen European proto socialist forerunners listed on the Soviet era Alexander Garden Obelisk. Now, of course, now, there is, of course, no higher mystery behind any of these things. It's not capital fate, Capital f fate or the Holy Spirit came down and Bill endowed these individuals with unique prescience or insights on these issues. It's just a quirk of human existence and intelligent that people sometimes, I didn't think in such a nuance in novel ways for their own era, that they seem almost like time travelers or wizards lost in time and space. Cyrus the Great's idea of ideas of pluralism were situated in existing Persian, very early Zoroastrian, and ancient Mesopotamian concepts of religious syncretism and toleration. Hildegarde, meanwhile, lived during a fairly narrow, very rare window of time Windy Church and Holy Roman Empire were accepting and even celebrating outspoken female visionaries. She got to go on preaching to hers for fuck state. Do you know how rare that is in pre modern Europe. Poor wind Stanley, on the on the other hand, was socially ostracized for his views on redistribution of land and actions as a true leveler, and spent the later years of his life working in commerce as a chandler to get by and fighting legal battles over money he believed he was owed. Even so, they're seemingly out of place writings and ideas never failed to inspire and enthrall us because they seem to conflict to the course of history and the erow of time as we understand it, and we celebrate them accordingly. However, you sometimes come across the person who is seemingly unstuck from time in monumental ways, but is also just a huge fucking piece of shit in such a way that it's impossible to overlook. But then you also find out that the persons, by being awful, was woefully mistreated by contemporaries in life, severely and brutally punished for the wrong reasons, and even had some really forward thinking, almost modern seeming novel ideas. Thus she left with an extreme man out of time scenario where he's problematic and awful, but also highly influential and even sympathetic at times. Anyway, folks, all of that is to say that it's time to talk about the one the only front of me of the podcast, Peter Abilard. So yeah, we talk. We referenced him many times on the show, but I've never done an We've never done an episode on him. So we're gonna have a little chat about mister Abilard in his land of contrast style life. We'll do some introduction on him and then talk about his very problematic relationship with Eloise and why we shouldn't lose sight of that when discussing him. Then we'll talk even more at the end about it to dry the point home, because and this is terribly unfortunate. Avalar was right about a lot of things and was mistreated very badly by the clergy and papacy, and he becomes something of a prescient and sympathetic figure. He's kind of a lot like Galileo in some ways, because he's also a pioneer, foundational figure and a number of fields of study. But be that as it may, he still sucks. So here goes Ellen or we In ten seventy nine, a young boy named Pierre was born somewhere outside of nons in Britain. Any what do we know about about about Lil Abalard, l I l apostrophe Little Ablard.
Speaker 2: It's like the watchman Baby's up in this bitch Like. Basically, what we know about him is from an early age he very much had an aptitude for learning right, and he not only that, was just like completely disinterested in taking on the ordinary and assumed role that a young man of.
Speaker 1: Wealth would do, which is basically to get groomed to take over from his father. He wanted that church life.
Speaker 2: He was all about that, and he made that clear from the get go. And to be fair to his parents, they were like, yeah, okay, sure, which it does take some doing.
Speaker 3: And then his dad was also a night like a night like a night like he was, but he made sure that his son got a liberal arts education. So's he's kind of his dad's kind of like, you know, he breaks the normal nightly mold and he's like, yeah, you're gonna you're gonna get an education and not get hit on the fucking head all day like me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he is his dad. He's got a woke night dad. Yes, you know, he's like my kids, my kids going.
Speaker 2: To the university. Although actually by that I mean his kid's going to instead the Cathedral School because the university isn't invented yet. It gets invented and Ablard will teach there, but he doesn't go there. He goes to eventually the Cathedral School at Loan, which is quite a celebrated one.
Speaker 1: And listen, he's a good student. He's a good student.
Speaker 2: You can say anything you want about Ablard, but you can't say he's fucking stupid. And everyone is like, whoa, Yeah, this kid has got it right. So he is immediately getting kind of passed into higher and higher achaloons as a were of church stuff, because that's basically what you do, right, you can kind of make your ways up, your way up through the ranks of the church. But very particularly, he isn't interested in like climbing the ladder and making his way up through the church. Like he doesn't want to be a cardinal, he doesn't want to be a bishop. He very very specifically wants to be a theologian. And he's able to do that because it will then get into the twelfth century Renaissance, which is so I mean, this is very much like he is. He is a man of his time right where it's like, okay, yeah, what is it.
Speaker 1: That you want to do.
Speaker 2: I want to write theology, write philosophy. That is my thing and the only thing that I wish to commit my life to. Oh okay, well great, because it turns out our society really values that very suddenly, right, like incredibly suddenly society is about that life and so he is able to do that. So, as I say, he starts out at Loan, but then the University of Paris starts up. And first we had, of course our good friends down at Bologna start up, and Bologna first and best because it's a bottom up organization. You know. That was students starting a university, which is the best way to do it. But Paris is the second one that starts off because the church is like, oh, I see these kids.
Speaker 1: Are starting their own universities.
Speaker 2: We better get in on this because who knows what people are doing when we're not watching, essentially right, So they're like, okay, we're going to get in on this business. And they started up in Paris. What better place to start it because it's the largest city in Europe after Contestinople obviously, and they.
Speaker 1: Started in Constantinople. Am I right? All right?
Speaker 2: So yeah, they're off. He goes to Paris. University is slightly different. You know, I've told you all before about the trivium and the quadrivium, the things that get studied in the university, but also just kind of the thing to keep in mind is it's like there's no such thing as like a campus, right, You're not going to the University of Paris and hanging out on campus all day and like being like, oh.
Speaker 1: Oh, butter good to class, Like that's that's not what happens. Like a university.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 2: Pay to attend it, and those fees go quite literally to like the keep for students and keep for the people who are teaching.
Speaker 1: But most of the buildings are like.
Speaker 2: Church buildings, so it's just like whatever the church happens to own, they'll be like, okay, that's a classroom now, and you kind of like go in and out of these places and it is much more itinerant in character, I think would be the.
Speaker 1: Best way to do it. So you've got to do.
Speaker 2: Grammar, logic and rhetoric, and so there's gonna be someone who teaches you Latin. There's going to be somebody who teaches you philosophy in particular, kind of like the Aristotelian mode of philosophy.
Speaker 1: And there's going to be someone who teaches you debate.
Speaker 2: And then if you get past that then you can go do all the math stuff.
Speaker 1: Error Basically what Abalard's.
Speaker 2: Deal is is that he will do you the logic. He will absolutely do you like the teaching you how to think, but he is in particular going to teach you the rhetoric.
Speaker 1: Like believe he's going to teach you how to argue, and.
Speaker 3: Like he was a really look, I don't think he's the first one. He's certainly not the first one because of all the Greeks, but like the the like medieval hold over until William of Auckham comes there, like he's like the guy he's he's the best at arguing. People are literally like fuck, I will not argue against this guy. He's too like they're calling and scared, like I'm afraid that can come in today to talk this shit. And later in his life he's gonna get really fucked over by Bernard of Clairvaux doing.
Speaker 2: Just that exactly, and and like so and the part of what is the part of the issue here?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: You got you got homeboy doing his thing and he's really good at debating. But he'll be like, hey, kids, you wanna you wanna see some debating and action, and the kids are all hooting and hollering like oh oh yeah, let's do it, ablord, and then he will be like, You'll go up to his colleagues who are in the middle of their lecture, and he'll be like, you namby, son of a bitch. I bet you you'd say that's true, but it's clearly not. And his students are just being like oh in the background, and it's just like he's interrupting, you know, and he basically he's just kind of like trying to prove a point about how good he is at debating, and it's like obviously very disruptive, and he would fucking hate him. And you don't just hate him because he's acting like a prick. He's acting like a prick and he's got your ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's arrogant. He knows it. He knows He literally writes it, you know, like he knows it, and he's going and he's not the kind of person that that knows it, but is like self assured enough to like just let it be there. He like knows it, and he's going to like take you your face and rub your nose in it, like like a like a dog who pete or something.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: He's like, you know, just like don't do it, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's awful, Like he genuinely, genuinely.
Speaker 1: Is just like.
Speaker 2: Being the worst yeah, at every possible time. It's like quite like, come on, man, like do yourself some favors.
Speaker 1: And he's like, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I will never I will never stop being a prick for absolutely no reason. And unfortunately this also kind of works for him, like he gets this huge reputation because like, of course, you know, if you've got a bunch of like college aged boys, they love this shit. They're like, dog, I am on the cutting edge. Hell yeah. And I think also it's kind of like there is this like there's this very specific kind of like macho ness that is coming out of it for a bunch of guys who don't usually get to be macho.
Speaker 3: If that makes sense, it does. I do have a question because there are scattered references to also, and I mean I wouldn't see why not, but like young women being as we will see young women drawn to this, or is there like do we have any understanding of like I mean, were they allowed to just like mix with like the male students of his who would be listening or do we not have any real idea about that.
Speaker 2: Well, so you're technically not really allowed to be a student. But then they'll be like these really confusing times when suddenly, like a woman will show up and she's suddenly like teaching at Salerno and you're like, well, how did she get in? And they're like, I refuse to tell you, and you're like, cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, thanks man, thanks. So she so she made it this high and was respected enough to get this job and keep it in what's in what's kind of like a church institution. It's just like yeah, it's like, are you gonna tell us anything about it? No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: No, no you're not You're not allowed to know anything about that.
Speaker 1: So that happens with this.
Speaker 2: We do think that probably women are attending these things because it's also like one of these things where it's essentially open doors, Like if you can get into the church where they're doing all this, you can go ahead and like listen, like they're not it's not enough like a university now that they're going to stop you. I mean, well, hell, universities actually used to let you just go sit in lectures too, Like that's it used to be a cool thing they would do when they were cool and uh so it's just sort of like if you want to go hear it, you can go hear it, right, And it's like, yeah, like by all accounts, there's kind of like philosophy hose, which I love, I mean, and also I want to say brackets positive. Obviously this is a pro ho podcast, So uh poppyar Pussy's girls, Yep, we'd love to see it. Popular Pussy's for that theology guy.
Speaker 3: Like you you I like art type girl. Yeah. Yeah, it's just like, oh, explain the Trinity to me, daddy, and just like.
Speaker 1: And he's all live. He absolutely would love it.
Speaker 3: And we can absolutely guarantee that happened. Oh I can.
Speaker 1: I can tell you for uh reasons for at least one person that is so yeah.
Speaker 3: So Pete. So we'll talk about his contributions to philosophy and more of his teaching and then his later life. But let's talk about the unpleasantness he while he was a teacher at Notre Dame or in Paris. I don't know if he was specifically at Notre Dame, but he was in Paris in about the year eleven fifteen or eleven sixteen. He was thirty six or thirty seven, he was preaching and a not woman, a girl named Eloise, who was either fourteen or fifteen, depending on what year.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to this, Yeah, putting down a chip, keep.
Speaker 3: On either way, yes, and they began He somehow engendered himself with her uncle Fulbert because Eloise was staying in Paris at Notre Dame as like I guess a ward of her of her uncle Fulbert, who was a canon secular canon there and uh Abelard had apparently never shown interest in women before this, Like there are several uh books about him that say he really hadn't shown any interest in women before this, uh, but he was immediately interested in her, got into Fulbert's house or good graces somehow, and then began an affair with her. Eleanor have I missed any key points here?
Speaker 2: So okay, all right, there are some keep because there is some debate about how old Eloise is. So I want to take I want to take a bo bent to shout out Eloise because she's also like one of the smartest to ever do it, like genuinely like one of these people where you're like, where did you come from? Like you know, I'm always like, oh, Yeah, like, you can't really call any of these people feminists. She's the closest to like a proto feminist her work that you really come up to. She's so fucking smart, and so we we know about her and she just kind of like comes onto the scene. She's from a lower noble family, just like him. She's a little bit lower on the totem pole than he is, but she again, is very clever. And so she's sent off to the nunnery at Argentule, and we generally know her as Eloise of argentle and she is so smart that she becomes famous.
Speaker 1: Okay, so as a teenager, Yeah, she's famous. And so this is one of the So there are schools of thought that thinks she might be a bit older. So she might be possibly.
Speaker 2: Twenty or so, because it would be very like the amount of work she had completed at this point in time and her level of fame indicate that she just might have been around for a bit longer. Now, when I say this, I want to also be abundantly clear. One of the things that I will go to my grave repeating over and over and over again is we don't fuck our students. We don't fuck our students. We don't fuck our students. I don't care if it's at university, we don't fuck our students. We don't fuck our students. Don't fuck your students.
Speaker 1: It's not ethical.
Speaker 2: There isn't a way to do it that I find acceptable. It is always an abuse of power.
Speaker 1: Don't fuck your students, right.
Speaker 3: No matter the age range. It is a completely one sided power dynamic for either it doesn't matter who the old what gen the older person is, or whether it's a gay or a straight relationship.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 3: It does not work, no way to square it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I'm not gonna like it. I'm not gonna like you don't fuck your students. If it's that important that you fuck that student, you can wait till they're no longer your student, and by that I mean no longer at this institution. Yeah, right, Like fucking sort your life out, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Et cetera, et cetera. Not acceptable. I don't care anyway. So, so, like to be clear, I don't like it. I don't like it now.
Speaker 2: So basically he it's also really weird the way that Ablerd writes about because he's like, yeah, up, to this point, I didn't really give a shit about getting laid, but then I thought, well, maybe I should give a shit about it getting laid. And then I thought, well, if I'm gonna get laid, guy like me, way I'm doing my thing, you gotta do it with the best, and in my opinion, and in my opinion that best was is Eloise. Right, And so it's kind of like, all right, well, like what like I just have so many follow up questions, right, because it's like, so you decided you wanted to become a fuck boy. That like that was like step one, decided to become fuck boy? Step two like get the get into the house, right, or like what like It's just it's not I don't think the timeline makes a whole ton of sense on this. And it's also like we're getting a lot of it from the Historia clamatotom which is his.
Speaker 1: His autobiography about what happens to.
Speaker 2: Him, right, And we'll we'll talk more about that also because there there's a there's lots say, there's a lot to say about that, but fundamentally, the fact of the matter is he basically at this point in time. The reason Eloise is in Paris staying with her uncle is she's just so shown so much promise. They want to get her to be availing herself of the education that is available in Paris as a result of all the activity around the university. So Fulbert is out there being like, hey, what's up looking for a tutor for my niece. You know who's like one of the smartest to ever do it, Eddie Takers, Eddie Takers, and a Blart is like, yeah, I'll do it. And that's which is going to come back to haunt Fulbert. So yeah, basically he's like, yeah, cool, Like what I'm going to do is I'm just going to put in with homie and then we are going to see what we're going to see. And we end up in this situation where Ablard and Elowiz are able to spend a lot of time together behind closed doors and they embark on a sexual relationship.
Speaker 1: Now it is very.
Speaker 2: Difficult for us to call that consensual because of just like the gravity of the situation as a whole. And you know, I don't like to necessarily you know, the age gap discourse I don't think is necessarily fruitful.
Speaker 1: About a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: But like listen, it's still like a teacher relationship. And also they know they shouldn't be doing it. Able art has about celibacy, not that I take that seriously, but like come on, dog.
Speaker 3: Or they didn't even take it that seriously at the time. This is when they were trying to change that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like.
Speaker 2: They know they're not supposed to be doing this because like so in theory Aloise, you know, either she's going to be a nun she keeps it up with this whole learning thing, or.
Speaker 1: She is going to be.
Speaker 2: Like a wife, right, And if you are going to be somebody's wife, then you need to not have sex before marriage because it brings your bride price down.
Speaker 3: Do I like that? No?
Speaker 1: I don't like that. No, I don't fucking like that.
Speaker 2: No, I don't like that way of relating to the world. But like that is true, so it's gonna like fuck up her marriage prospects in general. But they're fucking all kinds of which ways. They write about this in a series of letters to each other later on, and they like one of the things that Abilard says, like actually it might be in the Historia Calemy tottam is he's like, uh, you know, our fingers off and strayed more often from the parchment but to each other's laps, which is like them highlighting the fact that like, oh.
Speaker 1: Not the skin of the parchment, it's skin. No, get out of my face with this, So that's itchy.
Speaker 2: So so they're fucking every which way, but they know they shouldn't be fucking, so like they'll do stuff like Abilard will intentionally hit her in front of other people because like that's good pedagogy, yeah, question mark.
Speaker 3: At the time, at the.
Speaker 2: Time, they're like they're like, oh hell yeah, that's oh wow. They're really learning in there. He's beating the ship out of her, right, But do they also write about it like later on after the fact and she's all like, yes, Daddy, spank me, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 3: I do think we I do think we should be clear that at no point is Eloise ever like I was not.
Speaker 2: Down.
Speaker 3: That does not make any of it, okay, now does not. It does not absolve anyone of anything. No, it is just an aspect of it that you should know because their relationship is easily the most famous thing about either of them, and also it is going to kind of come back when we talk about his contributions to to ethics and the scent.
Speaker 2: Oddly enough, yeah, yeah, and like so this is an interesting thing, Like she's kind of into it.
Speaker 1: They're fucking a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, they do say at like at a point in time though there is there is apparently some reference and it's like interesting that she wanted this on record. The one time things get out of hand and she doesn't like it is he wants to fuck her in a church and she's like, no, I don't want to fuck in the church, and he's like, yeah, too bad for you. We're fucking in this church now, which you know I would classify as rape.
Speaker 3: I didn't know about that when yeah, sure you didn't. No, no, I'm to didn't. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: It's very Joan in.
Speaker 2: Her fiance in the office in mad Ben. If you're a mad Ben such as myself, it's like that.
Speaker 1: It's like that, you know.
Speaker 2: But anyway, they continue on this path and despite being two of the smartest people living in Europe at this point in time, their affair is discovered because.
Speaker 1: She gets knocked up because because like they couldn't figure out any other way to do it.
Speaker 2: I guess and you're just like Jesus Christ, people like you justn't just don't. Jis in there and Abelard's like absolutely not. I'm just right up in there. It's like, okay, cool, cool, great job. But who could have foreseen what happened. So you know, basically they're gonna they're gonna have a crossbow wedding about it, right, like, like that's just so Fulbert is like, you've besmirched my niece's honor. You're gonna make an honest woman out of her, and able Art is like, yeah, sure, I will go okay.
Speaker 3: And this I now who objects in this in this scenario, Eloise.
Speaker 2: And she's like, I'm not marrying this motherfucker, and which is really interesting because she's like, I have no interest in that. I have no interesting that at all whatsoever. I don't want to be a wife. I want to do weird intellectual things. If Abilard and I get married, he can't be a teacher anymore, he can't be at the university. So I absolutely fucking refuse to marry this guy. And so it's like one of these things where this goes on and on and.
Speaker 1: On and on, and eventually Abilard.
Speaker 2: Like wears her down and is like, babe, come on, like we do sort of need to get married. But I also find it really interesting because like very clearly for Eloise, who again is like someone who spends all of her time thinking about theology. That's her deal, right, She's like, I don't think this is a problem, and I don't think I will go to Hell for this, and I don't think that any of this is going to be an issue for me.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think it's cool. I think that we can keep doing this and like working in the church question mark and it's just.
Speaker 3: Like, which is an insanely modern like that's like, yeah, yeah, that's bordering on like actual postmodern thought because you have you've abstracted your relationship to the church to the point that you can like you can separate these things out, and that's something that doesn't happen for most people in the world until like after the French Revolution sometimes.
Speaker 1: Right, And she can do it.
Speaker 2: She can do it, and she's like, N'm like and she's like, none of this is a problem actually, like you guys are the ones being weird.
Speaker 1: But like Abilard does end up marrying her in secret, like.
Speaker 2: She's like, Okay, I'll do it, but I'm only going to do it if it's in secret, because I want you to be able to like keep working. And he's like, yeah, okay, sure a girl whatever, And they get married in secret and she goes back to Brittany to.
Speaker 1: Go have Astraley Babillard friend of the show.
Speaker 2: And basically Ablard I was back to Paris like nothing to see here. I'm sure this isn't going to be a problem. Fulbert is absolutely fucking enraged by all of this, and he's like, you motherfucker, like you have completely ruined my niece's chances for anything, right, and like I am going you shall rue the day.
Speaker 1: You're gonna rue the day.
Speaker 3: And I was like yeah.
Speaker 1: Ablard's like I'd like to see you try.
Speaker 3: And Filbert was like all right, yeah. Yeah. Then in sometime around eleven twenty, Fulbert and a group of a group of assailants of I actually don't think they were hired. I think they were probably just people who hated Aboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's just like, yeah, there are a lot of volunteers.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, it was a group. There's a there's a famous image of it, like that someone is drawn and it's like able are trying to escape out of a bed and like six people are holding him. You can't see anything, but like it's like six people holding him down.
Speaker 1: Uh, I going for that.
Speaker 3: They castrated him, they that gone, but power, Yeah, I I would look, I'm all for uh getting rid of people we need to get rid of. Just kill him, Like if you like, don't torture a person, just kill him. There's torturing a person like this is fucking Like I oh, it's like that's the thing. Like if if you want to kill him because he fucked that, you're fifteen fourteen, fifteen year old niece, Fine, I get it, fine, but oh god, any.
Speaker 2: Also, I just also really feel like it's not even about Eloise at this point.
Speaker 1: It's about him, right, It's like this entire thing is just a dick waggling contest.
Speaker 3: And Fulbert lost his prize pig so to speak, Yeah, the one he was going to sell at the county fair for yeah, like yeah, and like.
Speaker 2: So eventually Fulbert finds out that they were married, and then he's like and also they're married, so he can't work at the university anymore, and everyone's like no. Abler claims that everyone was so upset about his junk getting cut off that there is like wailing and crying and gnashing of teeth in the streets of Paris about his junk, which I do, which I would say I find him to be an unreliable narrator in this aspect. How dare you, like, I mean, I'm sure that they were like, oh dog, that's rough, Like that's that.
Speaker 1: Is believable to me. But I don't think that like anyone is crying over his junk except for Aloise. I believe she was crying. Oh yeah, no, she was sure she was, she was absolutely rent, she was.
Speaker 3: She seems bereft after this, like after this happens, and she and like Abilard I mean spoiler, Albalard tries to go into hiding and and hates it because he wants to still teach, but like he doesn't. He's he's he's too shame like he I mean, and I don't don't, don't get me wrong, like I get that, like he's just like, I you know, like how can I do this? Because as Eleanor said, there is this like big dicking thing about this, and I mean, like everybody knows and even if they love you and are entirely sympathetic to you. There is something to everyone knowing that your genitals have been mutial cut off related whatever whatever it is, and it and like and it emaciated him. And but he passed the time by constantly wheedling and annoying.
Speaker 1: The monks, and he enjoined sam Dene Right, it's so this is really funny.
Speaker 2: It's so good because he joined Sandni, like one of the richest and most famous monasteries. Because it's like, what's he gonna do now, Like, I mean, this man can't work for a living or whatever, so he's basically got to join the church. So he joined Sandy. And the awesome thing that he decides to do at Sandy is he spends the whole time going, guys, I don't think Sandeny is actually real.
Speaker 3: No, he's not a real person.
Speaker 2: That's not a real person, like I mean historically, like check it out. I don't even think this is real.
Speaker 1: And they're all like, what is your fucking problem. It's so good, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, it's so fucking funny to join a monastery and then be like, nah, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: I don't even believe this guy no way.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh yeah, the guy, the guy who I can't stress enough, is like so integral to like the French idea of Christianity that it's like the oil that is used to consecrate the is like like that is absolutely central to their way of thinking about things. And he's like, not, no, it's not real, bra, That's that's fake.
Speaker 1: That's fake. And he's like and he's right, but but it's like, but he's being a dick.
Speaker 3: He's right, he won't he won't leave them. He just he he keeps doing this and he's so like he's just so like annoying about it, and he is, he's he's petty. And and actually we'll talk about in a second, actually his this out this does come up in his first charge of heresy. But first, uh we we we We've talked a lot about Avalard and his and his own ego and and his uh crimes. Uh I. Now we get to the thing where we have to talk about his contributions to society, which are numerous. Now some of these I am qualified to go into. But one thing I'm not is philosophy eleanor what is conceptualism and what is his contribution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's really one of the big instigators of it as a study of philosophy.
Speaker 1: So basically what it is is he's interested in the thingness of a thing.
Speaker 2: So like, the question is sort of like it, does white exist or is white something that we are perceiving and relating to?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: And can white as a concept exist in and of itself or does it require the relationship of a viewer?
Speaker 1: And if there is a requirement of the relationship of a viewer, does it doesn't count?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Basically that's it in a nutshell. It's obviously more.
Speaker 2: It's more complex than that, as I as I'm so fond of saying, But yeah, it's trying to get to the bottom of whether whether or not there's a thingness to a thing, if things really exist, or if it's.
Speaker 3: Just like us, is is it perception? Like would it like without without human beings, without living things, would white exist? Yeah? I mean, like I think now I think we now pretty clearly understand that it wouldn't be called that, but that that that that part of light that you see does exist independent of us.
Speaker 1: And it is perhaps true that differing species or things.
Speaker 2: Would perceive it differently, But there would stutly something right, and but it's the old kind of like if a tree falls in the forest and no one's there, doesn't make a sound kind of thing like that. That's basically the thing is, like, what is the relationship of humans to the world around us?
Speaker 1: Which is interesting? So it is fundamentally.
Speaker 2: Like an interesting kind of thing to do, right, So that's his first big contribution. When he gets to San Denis, he also makes he puts together a really great piece of work which I actually recommend if you are interested in kind of like a coming to grips really quickly.
Speaker 1: With medieval philosophy, and of course you are because you're.
Speaker 2: A little hip and cool, but if you want to like kind of get your head around very quickly a medieval philosophy, or indeed kind of like late antique philosophy, he writes this, this compendium essentially called sic at non and a sick at non, which also means kind of like yes and.
Speaker 1: No, which is in itself a joke about like the project.
Speaker 3: Is.
Speaker 2: It is about like basically saying, here are all the kind of like logic, the ways that varying philosophers have argued logic and reasoning over the years, like here's how Aristota would do it, Here's how Plato would do it, Here's how Jerome would do it. Here is how you know, basically all of the heavy hitters of philosophy up to now have related to logic, and it comes it's got like a very great way, very great message at the beginning, which is like, yeah, it's all kind of relative. You know, lots of people relate to things in lots of different ways. We do come to different ideas independently of each other or in different ways. So you know, that's why the study of philosophy is fruitful essentially, right, It's like, oh yeah, good stuff, really good things to consider. And if you really want to like get a crash course, sick at non will really really do that for you. So I do, I do recommend that if that's something that you're kind of interested in checking out.
Speaker 1: So that's really good. And then though he gets kicked out of Sandy, Yeah.
Speaker 3: He gets he's he's kicked out of of sandany for for annoying them too much, sp for for like holding his finger like a quarter inch from their their eye and being like I'm not testing. Yeah, he got kicked out and then like he kind of gets so he gets accused. Uh, well, actually, I guess we should talk about uh, the other thing, so real quick. A couple of other things that he that he was doing within the field of ethics. He develops a theory that involuntary physical reaction does not equal consent within people. And this is of course within with regard to like how you view like Christian ethics, like like did you commit a sin if you are put into a situation where like a woman like shows you her tits and you can't you know.
Speaker 1: You're you're yeah, you can't look away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And his example literally is like a man wakes up tied to a bed between two naked women, and of course he gets an erection from this. But Ablard's argument is that the man has not sinned because the reaction is subconscious, physical, and involuntary. And so that is at this point in time, that is a four five centuries away from people at least in at least in Western thought, from people picking that up. I can't say everywhere, but like that is, yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll see some interest in in this, like later on.
Speaker 2: This will go on to be influential and you'll see kind of stuff like this in a quitas when they're talking very particularly about wet dreams. Yes, so it gets like picked up by clever people who are like yeah, like it's it. And eventually they're like, yeah, it's not your fault if you have a wet dream, Like you're not a bad monk if you know, because you can't control your dreams. So it's like it will become like a very influential school, like a kind of.
Speaker 1: School of thought. He then also gets really into Trinitarian theory, and.
Speaker 3: This is going to get him in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, The only thing I wanted to say real quick. He does this thing called the dialogus. It's like a dialogue between Christian, a Christian and a Jew. And I'm not I want to see how to say this appropriately. I'm not saying that his argument is not still anti Semitic in the typical medieval sense. However, he is one of the first people, if not the first person, to argue that the Jews should not be uniquely blamed for the crucifixion of Christ. And he and he does say that the Roman state was it, what were the ones who did it? And that is that's a really big deal. Dante is. Dante is and the Italian Humanists are going to be like really having issues with this and like two hundred odd years like aw yeah no, no, no way, yeah no they they actually it was actually the Jews fault, and like Abalard doing this is really really early because the Jews being at fault for Christ's death is something that is like that was an underpinning of Christianity, of all forms of Christianity that I know of until very recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's like absolutely integral, especially like to kind of like the project of the concept of the Holy Roman Empire. Like you can't go around talking shit about the Roman Empire. So it's gotta be Jewish people's fault, you know.
Speaker 3: Yep, gotta be exactly. Yeah. And before we get to his excommunication or not not excommunication yet, but his first charge of Pharisee also wanted to say that this guy, this fucking asshole, this fucking creep, is the guy who is like, hey, wait a minute, why do innocent babies who die without being baptized go to Hell? And everyone's like, I don't know, they just didn't get baptized and He's like, but they didn't do anything wrong. We all admit they don't have the capacity for free thought. They're just for little reaction machines at that point, which is true, that that's what they are are. They're hungry or tired or whatever, and they're gonna let you know about it. And he is saying, no, it's not. They don't go somewhere and get punished like if any if anything, they just go to a place where like they just sadly can't They can see like the glory of heaven maybe above them, but they can't get to it. But that's it. They aren't being poked and prodded. And this was like fucking revolutionary to like church people because Augustine, Saint Augustine of Hippos like, no, they're getting punished.
Speaker 1: In Augustine of Hippo in particular is like, yeah, God hates them.
Speaker 3: What the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Like so much wrong?
Speaker 3: Do you know how many babies were unbapped? It doesn't matter, like yeah, anyway, Eleanor, as Eleanor was saying, he gets into trinitarianism, and he also sees God as a being of love and not total fear, which is which is a big new thing for him. But anyway, he what's his what's his trinitarian and what is being charged with? Sabellius Mean, yeah, okay, so this is.
Speaker 2: This is like an annoying thing because it's difficult to get it's difficult to get a like a particular beat on what is happening because obviously, like he is like, I never did or said anything that was heretical, and the church is like, yeah, shut up, you fucking did. And then also everything got burnt, so it's difficult for us to tell. But essentially the accusation is that he's teaching, particularly that there is a differentiation between God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, particularly like on this one point, right, who charges him with this, say Bernard of Clervaux, enemy of the podcast.
Speaker 3: No, I thought this one was the pupils of Anselm of Leone about Bernard's the second one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're right here. It's like, so this is kind of where it starts, right.
Speaker 3: This, this this charge of parise gets tossed out, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, this is the sabellious one. Sorry, I'm like your girl.
Speaker 2: Your girl has been in the Netherlands for a week and uh and it shows and so yeah, so and this one they're like, yeah, no, like basically he gets in there and it's just like, shut.
Speaker 1: The fuck up, the little bitches. That's not what I said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets he gets condemned, he is forced to burn the theologia himself. But uh, the whole time, the whole time, his sentence of perpetual confinement is either agreed in advance that they're not going to do it, or he escapes the day it happens and no one cared, which seems unlikely given how many people he's pissed off. So it seems like it was agreed earlier. You know, hey, don't uh, don't do uh, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so like probably I think that, like with the whole perpetual conflinement thing, they're like, basically, you've got to stop teaching. I think that that's kind of what they mean, is like you've got to like stop being out in the fucking world doing this because everybody hates you and uh, you're causing a lot of goddamn problems for us.
Speaker 3: All. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, and uh but does he stop teaching? No? No, Oh, this man has this man has lecturing and smacking students in his blood. He keeps finding new places to uh to teach. Uh. He teaches uh John of Salisbury, uh, who is an English author and philosopher who's gonna come up and be a big supporter of his later on and help clear his name, along with Eloise and Peter of Clooney. But yeah, we'll get there in a sec. But yeah, he's teaching. And I find it very hard to believe that. No, that like the higher ups wouldn't have known that he was teaching, because he remained insanely popular, like students would flock to wherever he was. And he started this thing called the Peraclet with Eloise because they still had a relationship after this, because they still clearly loved each other to what every degree.
Speaker 2: And there's also this just really weird bit in here. So it's like he's out at the Paraclet. It's like, you know, he's drawing all his attention. All these students are coming in order to work with him, and then like weirdly, the church is like, bro, you got to come help us out. We've got like this order of monks that needs straightening out. Back in Brittany, and they're like, hey, come back to Brittany and like, you know, like reform this monastery, question Mark, And I don't know, see, I have no idea what the fuck was going on here because it's.
Speaker 1: Like abilide, you want Abelard to.
Speaker 2: Reform the monastery, Like they're like yeah, like the guy you just accused of heresy, Yeah, and you want him to go over there and you want him to straighten these monks out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why these things that we're talking about are why it makes it like not only is it like he is sympathetic, but it's also like it seems like it seems very clear that like who somebody was playing around with the narrative after the fact, because there's no way that from like eleven thirty five or so to eleven forty he was teaching, and he was teaching, and John of Salisbury was writing about his teaching and talking about it across across France and England and Bernard of Clairvaux and the Pope didn't hear about it, so like, so like, what the fuck is going on in a lot somebody, somebody's playing around with the narrative here, and it's really hard to tell who it is it's clearly not avalard because he's about to get got but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah and so like so off he pops like or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like he claims the monks try to kill him, Yeah yeah, which maybe they fucking did, and like, I mean, who could blame them if that that is indeed the case. I think he says they try to poison he has very get his ass whooped. Yeah, like he no, they beat him the fuck down. Yeah, they're like, don't you come in here and tell us oar saying isn't real or whatever?
Speaker 3: The fuck?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what the problem was, but the whole thing is just like off. So he goes back to the fucking paraclet.
Speaker 3: Hm hmm.
Speaker 2: He's like that, that's what's up, Like we're back and that also just FYI for those not in the know, Perlet means holy spirit.
Speaker 3: And the peraclet is like a it's at a monastery that he's that was abandoned or something, and.
Speaker 1: He's just literally out of the wilderness.
Speaker 3: It's like he becomes a he becomes a hermit, but like it doesn't last very long because he really does, like have an inclination to teach and to be around people. Now, whether that's purely for adulation, I can't say, but you know, like yeah, he just this is all it's all very weird until eleven forty, from like from the time of his first trial uh to uh to eleven forty he is bouncing around from places he's of course been uh castrated, and he's he's bouncing around to these different things. He goes to the paraclet, he starts ats is there and for and they formed some kind of uh uh female clerical order that he gives the rules for, which is really.
Speaker 2: Weird body like, and this is so this is like a weird thing too, because like she'd gone back to Augentlee, the monastery that she'd been at and that but like it was owned by the abbot of sand Ni and he decides to kick all the monks the nuns out because he like wants the land or whatever.
Speaker 1: And so Blard's like, well, why don't you come stay with me, girl?
Speaker 2: And then she like moves the monks there, and it's like what is again, Like what the fuck is happening? Right like, because it just seems it seems weird.
Speaker 3: Would somebody have put a stop to that, Like it and that's.
Speaker 1: All incredibly strange, right, Like it's just all weird.
Speaker 3: But the part exists for at least five years, if not long. So it's like, I, yeah, what.
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So it's like yeah, and so yeah, she's like yeah, but and she like just moves this prestigious order of nuns.
Speaker 3: In with her husband, with her her husband her kind of yeah, it's anyway, we get to eleven forty eleven forty one, Bernard gets wind that he's still teaching or something. I don't the bishop go ahead.
Speaker 1: The theory here is that Bernard is friends with her uncle.
Speaker 2: There's there's a theory that that I kind of buy, which is that, like we think that because her uncle's high up at Notre Dame, you know, he's one of the canons regular that he knows Bernard and he's like, come get this man, I hate him.
Speaker 3: Right, Maybe he finally found out where he was, or finally found that he and Eloise were still going on. And yeah, either way, look like if you want to hear, if you want to the perfect story, and this is the point where the church are kind are trying to become church cops. That's a big innocent. The second thing, he's the pope right here. They're trying to become the cops. And if you want to see the perfect mistillation of that, uh Abalard is he's dragged in front of them. He is very sick. He's very ill. He he goes into poor health at this point later in life. He wants to defend himself. He's he's ready to. He's like, fine, Bernard, bring it all out. I'll do, I will I will do. Debate me, debate me, debate me, debate me. And there there was a church council at sinn uh and Abillard showed up the day for the debate, but uh Old Bernardo pulled a fast one on him. And the night before uh the judge in the town they had bloodstains on his hand. I don't know what to tell you, man, You Abilard, you've never been a virgin. You were fucked from the start, dude, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like listen, it's like it's this tells you everything you need to know about fucking Saint Bernard of Claibau.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like he's such a little bitch, like he doesn't even have, you know, the the courage of his convictions. He can't even tell you why it's heretical. He's just like just doesn't seem right, just smells off. It's like, well, I know when I see it, and you know, I'm always going on and saying, you know, like, oh yeah, well that that's by definition.
Speaker 1: What heresy is. But fuck you, Like, if you're supposed to be this like intellectual new light of the church, then show me, right, show me that's I mean.
Speaker 3: Charging. Charging stuff like this with heresy is a good way that you completely detegrate what heresy means. And you turn and you begin to turn it, not begin, it's already it's already happened, already started, but you turn it from a holy punishment reserve for only the worst of the worst who commit like a unmentionable sense, to just like something you use to, oh, I don't know, get rid of a political enemy or theological enemy, you don't like, steal someone's land that you want, you know, stuff like that. And yeah, Eleanor is exactly right. So he again he was charged with heresy and told to stop teaching. He was not convicted of harresey at the time, and no one cared when he immediately left and went somewhere and began preaching and did it for a while. But Bernard brings him in. He uh stacks the council against Abelard the Uh he's convicted on all or condemned on all on all charges. H Abalard tries to leave. He wants to go to appeal directly to Innocent the Second, going towards Rome, but he's in terrible health and he doesn't know it yet. But before he's left, Uh, Innocent the Second had already issued a bull excommunicating him, giving the perpetual remit of silence, and uh not.
Speaker 1: The silence that's the worst, Like that's the worst, the death for him, you know.
Speaker 3: A prize yapper like him. Oh, ex community excommunicated all of his followers, to which I guess is technically eloise and uh yeah, his books were burned. Abelard probably would have died in able custody. However, Peter the Venerable, the abbot of Clooney, who was Abelard's friend and at least not rival, stopped him on the way to Rome and was like, hey, man, why don't you hang out here? And he did and he died there with it's just not good. He was in bad health. He had gross skin conditions and but yeah, he died and excommunicate and a heretic. It was cool after about twenty years after his death that was lifted Eloise and Peter of Clooney and uh Salisbury, John of Salisbury. Yeah, getting that overturn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's really interesting because like Alois just retains this incredible level of power in prestigee, Like she's still like mixing it up with, you know, the the most elite people that there are. So it's really interesting because it's sort of like again, it just shows you that none of this has anything to fucking do with her, Like, none of like the vengeance, none of like any of that has anything.
Speaker 1: To do with her.
Speaker 2: And it's like, even though you know, I don't like the whole situation about how they got together, I also kind of have to take her at her word.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit like YO, believe women. Right.
Speaker 2: If she's like, yeah, no, I love this guy and I've devoted my life to him, you're sort of like, oh, okay.
Speaker 3: I mean if you're this devoted, I'm not saying you can't like develop like incredibly yeah. Uh, problematic feelings early on that you latch onto and stuff like that, but like she very clearly deeply loved him and wanted to be around.
Speaker 1: Him and associated with him, and and spent the rest.
Speaker 3: Of her life defending like his stuff like she was. She was a proponent of his until until she died. And I mean like he is one of the people who got really fucked over by the church, like at the end of his life, like he literally gets uh, he gets excommunicated for like crossing Bernard of Clairvaux like the like they just he had been he had been teaching for fifteen years since since he was first told to stop, and they didn't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: And it's like, honest to God, who the fuck is Bernard of Clairvaux And why does he have this level of power?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It's yeah, who the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Right? Like yeah, because Abillard was also friends with the Abbott, Sugar of of Uh Clooney as well, and it's like it's like like the Sugar, Uh, Peter the Venerable, and Bernard of Clava were easily like the three most famous churchmen of this time. Babillard is close with two of them. But because uh uh because uh, because Bernard is like in with the Pope and like as like the Pope whisperer and like the king maker there, uh is like no, he fuck him, he sucks anyway. Yeah. Abillard died in eleven forty two, A real one ripped to a piece of ship, ripped to I mean, you know, coflicting. He's so he is he's yeah, I think, but also I think it's good to look at this. Uh. A couple of other things we didn't get to. Uh. He's incredibly forward thinking. Uh. In the field of psychology. He invented, as far as we know, the concept of talking to God in your head, so like if you mentally pray by like saying dear God, whatever, that's that. I mean, Like Abillard was the one who popped I don't. I mean, I'm sure people did it, but like he's the one who talks about it. He's Uh. He has like rudimentary ideas for the modern theory of cognition and debunked the idea that mental illness was caused by the devil and argued that the insanity defense should be a legal defense to these things. He also talked extensively about the multiple I think it was too like nervous breakdowns he suffered, which is really weird for this time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like really cutting edge stuff.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is, it is fundamentally cutting edge and really interesting what he was able to accomplish even with this much hatred.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting too because like basically he dies and in.
Speaker 2: Granted it is as a result of Suger and John of Salisbury and Eloise is pretty tireless work.
Speaker 1: In this area.
Speaker 2: But everyone is like, oh, yeah, are bad almost immediately. I mean probably part of it is because they don't have to put up with him anymore.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, true, yeah, you can. You can immediately be like, man, he was, he was, he was, he was hard done. But but you don't you clearly don't have to like hear him like fuck off, Peter, God, God, he's he's not.
Speaker 2: In your lecture yelling anymore. Right, Like that's that's kind of the point. So I think, uh, that is that is naked.
Speaker 3: Right Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's able art. He's Yeah, he's a week he's like you know, most of the people that most of the powerful people we talk about on this show are bad or evil for one or very many reasons. You know, and I mean this is he just he's annoying, a weird guy who's annoying and came up with all this stuff and has this extremely oddly fucking problematic, probably pedophilic relationship with this girl. And I mean, by the way, we should point out that this is very clearly an instance of the fact that the church has had an issue with pedophilia for a long time. It's not just you know, against boys and stuff like that. And I mean he was he was a churchman, so like this is not like, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: There he is, you know, it's a he's a real land of contrast, is an he is.
Speaker 3: I find him incredibly interesting. I find the things that he went through later in life to be incredibly awful, and I find him to be sympathetic and then I remember the other stuff and I'm like, well, fuck you. But like that's how I do with with all interesting. Like it's like it's Timmy Jin like one of the most interesting people to ever lived to me, would hate my guests, would kill me in half a second, and enslave my family and be happy about it. But like he's but like he's interesting. Napoleon fucking interesting. He was a demon tried to reinstitute slavery. He's also the reason that we all in the Western world have schools literally destroyed manorialism. He was the one that did that.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I don't Yeah, it's any really, it's I think important to look at where little guys sometimes it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, folks, thank you for listening. We will be back next time with some more stuff, possibly possibly an interview, but yeah, we will. We'll be back and on Friday, we've got our fifth and penultimate episode in our book club series on Christier Buelman's Between Two Fires coming for patrons. Check that out if you want to hear us talk about that book or other stuff. Last time he talked about the ancient Mesopotamia religion and their utter horrific fear of fire, which is I have no idea how often every time I see fire Now I'm like, fuck, oh no, they're gonna They're gonna get my bones. No, no existed, no anyway, folks. Yeah, check that out. Pictureon dot com slash w nasty pod eleanor what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 1: With you, bitch? I'm back in London. It has been noted.
Speaker 2: I think there's not that much going on this week, I'm once again just doing a bunch of things that aren't out yet, so when they are out, I will let you know. But yeah, I'm just trying to finish a book, so uh, you know, prayers up for your girl, good.
Speaker 3: Luck eleanor finished that book in the chat or whatever. I don't know how this works. I'm on a streamer. Let's chat or we cooked chat.
Speaker 1: Chat, feel the good, feel it cooked.
Speaker 2: H I'll bet you can find me on the socials, maybe at Going Medieval maybe.
Speaker 3: There you go. Yeah, you can find me Lucas Amazing. You find my old ship people, Sister of the Old Republic if you want to hear me chat about Star Wars. Other than that, thank y'all very much for listening, and we will see you next time.
Speaker 1: Oh keep it sloppy.