Speaker 1: So if he's got some good hands and feel, this is too good. It's not just the fact that he's won, it's the way he's played the match. He has a candy bar and an RC coke. You are kidding me. Come on, Marcus, his unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Michael's caught some unbelievable energy to the court with the fans and then with his play as well and with his personality. So it was very, very refreshing to play against an appoint like this, you know, who draws in the crowds and come with some great shop making.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he can play on grass. That's that's good.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to what you're talking about. Willis. Now, I'm Dave old tennis coach in a freezing cold tennis club, Red Hill Way. Marcus Willis, you're in Bergomo, Italy.
Speaker 1: I am what a play. I thought it was closer to Milan than it is. It's a good hour away apparently, so.
Speaker 3: Well, the Italians know if the city of a thousand because it's to do with the unification of Italy. So I mean not that I've read a Wikipedia page or anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've done some research of you.
Speaker 3: Pretty much while we're just waiting for the Wi fi to kick in, because Bergamo, although it is a city of a thousand, can't actually get decent work in Wi fi. Right, I've just learned about their traditional stuffed past, the dishes. The city is the birthplace of composer Donnizetti. I mean, you're no wham and there's lots of history and architecture and Venetian walls for you to go and look around.
Speaker 1: Okay, around my training are go and do that.
Speaker 3: Then well, yeah, because you're not there for sight seeing. You're the third seed in the Challenger. You're playing with Josh Paris again, who obviously you reached a final with a few weeks ago. First of all, how are you feeling physically?
Speaker 1: Not too bad? And my first hit yesterday and that was okay. Obviously rusty, but I'm always rusty, to be honest. So yeah, I'm going out and doing a couple more sessions today and then play at some point tomorrow. Whether it be ten am or eight pm, we don't know yet, just preparing. But yeah, it's nice to be back and free.
Speaker 3: So you're rusty is different from normal people's rusty. What does rusty feeling look like for you.
Speaker 1: Just the racket feels weird in my hand a little bit, and it's like certain angles I hit aren't going where I want the ball to go. But it's not as bad as you know when I was younger. If I didn't play for a week when I was younger, I'll be hitting the ball on the floor and stuff. So you know, it's not awful. You're just a tad slower, I'd say, tad slower on you know, finding your range. I'd hit the ball, you know, four feet out rather than one foot out.
Speaker 3: How long does it take for you to get rusty?
Speaker 1: Four or five days? You know, if I don't hit a ball for forty eight hours, I'll be okay any more. Any more than that, it gets a bit funner here.
Speaker 3: You must now, at this stage of the career of your career, hit less balls than you did ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different type of balls. Obviously. When I was playing singles and playing a lot, you do a lot of hitting and moving and I don't know, a lot more open play stuff, whereas now it's just you're drilling returns, you're drilling volleys, you're drilling serve and return. And I've already said return, but I need to do return twice anyway, so so yeah, it's just different. I mean I still hit a lot of balls in an hour, an hour and twenty yesterday, first one back, and it sort of flies by because you have to do all different cross courts. Then you work on volleys every direction. It's just different. Whereas I used to warm up for a singles match in the morning, so my pretty much hit would be twenty twenty five minutes max doubles. Yeah, I mean, because you've got a partner as well and you both need to return. I didn't practice returns as much when I played tingles as I do now. I think that's a that shows you quite a lot, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, I mean so obviously this is the third time recently you've played with Josh, and are you always practicing with him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we can't. People do want to play practice sets, like I'm playing one later because Josh is gonna rest because he's played every week since I can't remember, so he's just gonna hit me once today and then I'm jumping into a practice set because there's you know, singles guys plays with plays with doubles guys sometimes they play with doubles guys sometimes, so there's always a gap and people are looking to play points. I tend to do that a lot less nowadays because I guess kind of feel like we go through the motions playing a practice set, which I don't think is always always healthy. They're good to play sometimes, but you know some people, some pairers just just get to the place. Some player as many sets as they can with different pairs. I don't find the tournaments I've done really well out this year, there's been pretty much zero practice set.
Speaker 3: I mean, you said on this podcast that you haven't got a coach. So after your performances recently with Josh, do you sit down, do you get access to any stats? Do you sit down and watch videos? Is there like a review process, goals, those kind of things, or is it more feeling experience.
Speaker 1: All the matches you can you can see and you get the stats straight after the match. For myself and Josh, we know what we kind of have to work on, what we're going to go into the off season together and then make some changes. Then I suppose there's the worst thing you can do. Is the worst thing you can do is try and overcomplicate things, you know, right now, so we just show opening everything up and you know, there's there's no clear we've every time we've lost, it's been pretty tight. It's not you know, for one reason other than you know, certain moments not being good enough. I don't think whereas we'll go into the offerason hopefully get some time with Louis Kayer and and learn probably quite a lot of technical things and you know, angle things at the net and things like that. I think we'll we'll make fine touches to that kind of stuff. But until then we're not going to make any huge changes now, I guess. I guess it's similar in football, right like once once the Premier League starts or you're in the middle of the season, you might make slight adaptations, but you're not gonna I don't know, you don't really see massive formation changes when you've got quite a lot of matches coming no coming on. I'd say it's the same one, yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, and especially like this this time of year with football. Speaking to a guy who was in the Premier League recently and he told me that over a three week period between November and December, the whole team were actually only on the training pitch for two hours, and that's not the usual oil football has only done train the hard and all of this, he said. By the time you're flying back from places being patched up, some are in the physio room, some are doing tactical stuff. Some of the you know, the goalkeepers are separate. He said. Actually you're not together too often. And you know the club I follow Palace, we're currently you know in this Europa Conference, League Cup, Premier League. Is that I doubt the squad are together too often to go through anything too detailed. You said there about Louis Kaye. Now, for people who who don't know, Louis is the kind of like the double supremo in world tennis, and he's worked forum with the LTA for a number of years and there's no coincidences there. I mean the ATP finals, well, Patton, Joe Salisbury, Neil Scupsky, Juli and Cash Lloyd Glass Bowl. I probably missed one, but that there's a lot of British players at the top of the doubles game.
Speaker 1: Is yah, there's I mean, I'm I'm down to definitely. I mean everywhere he's been, he's he's succeeded certainly singles earlier in his career, but then doubles. He's coming to Britain and you know back that it was Ken Skupsky, Colin Fleming, Ross Hutchins. They all got to you know, top fifty easily in the world. And now, as you say, we got five in the top ten, which is which is pretty what. I'm eighty two and I'm number seven in Britain now, which is is quite rare if you look at the other countries, if you're eighty to number seven. So so yeah, No, he's very very good. He's very very tech. He's very he knows his angles, he knows his stuff. It's quite you know, being on court with him, and but my little pea brain, he's giving you a lot of information and my little pre brain wants to work on two or three one or two or three things max at the same time. But you know, he tells you something, you do it.
Speaker 3: So it's not I've been in Louis very demanding, right, Yeah, yeah he is.
Speaker 1: He is. But but I guess he's demanding because he's the best. I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I found it like a bit of an intimidating atmosphere.
Speaker 1: I reckon, I don't know. I've not been there as a coach. I've only been there as a player. He was scary when I was younger. Yeah, you know how much he knows about tennis. And you know I played doubles and singles at the same time. He watched one of my matches at a challenger and I'm thinking, God, I don't know anything. This guy's going to shred me. But he didn't. He's a very matter of fact, but I don't know if that's the you know, he's French Canadian as well. I don't if that's you know, the language barrier. He's very direct, but I've never had a problem with him. I respect him a lot. Yeah, huge resign and he says something I listen, it's just trying to implement that. It's trying to implement that. I remember the end of last year he was trying to get me to trying to get me to take a bit more risk when I'm at the back and set my partner up at the net. He says, like, you can keep the ball in court, you're very consistent, blah blah blah, but you need to be slamming the ball at the baseline so that your partner gets the next ball. So I worked on that for a while and it's great. But remember I had twenty five different partners, so that's not it's not that applicable. And now I'm on the ad, so you know, that's That's a good thing about playing with Josh. You can have a look at some things and I can actually stick to a side and play with the same guy for more than three or four tournaments a year.
Speaker 3: I mean that there's no easy drawers, right to use the gliche, there's deaf, no easy drawers. And you and Josh in the first round have got two players ranked one two five and one three two in the world. And then you look beyond that and every player is around that level. A couple of you know, all Italian wild cards have got in there. Of course, what do we know about your opponents and what kind of what are we expecting?
Speaker 1: Don Ski's just a bit of a monster. He's got a huge, huge surf, takes big cuts of returns and he's big. Milk kanov is you know, he's been fifty in the world milk Kanoff for a number of years. He's dropped a bit recently, but you know he may Courts or Semis of Australia a couple of years back, very experienced player. I don't know. I don't know exactly how we're gonna, you know, go about handling him. He's he's not as much a big hitter. He's quite crafty as fourhand. He can hit angles, he can lob you, he can you know, he'll stand back and find gaps. So we've got to be I guess, more careful with him than than Donsky. Donsky could just turn up and hit forty eight winners or you know, miss quite a lot from the back. So I guess for me and Josh, if we serve, if we serve well out our spot, it doesn't really matter who we're playing. We're going to get holds on the board if we if we do serve well and keep the percentage high, and then on Donsky service just a case of I don't know, trying to trying to pick a side or make them play as mini balls possible. Well kind of, yeah, there should be a game or two where we might get some looks on some seconds and getting rallies. But he doesn't exactly miss, so you know it's gonna be a difficult match. You know, as I said, I've not played in a while, so it's a it's a case if we either you know, go to one guy and hope he misses all we go to the other guy and don't know where he's going to hit the ball that's in that's in the rally formation. But you know, quite a lot of these matches are served dominated, so it's going to come down to a couple of points, and yeah, that's what it's tend to be in recently. So I just got to try and yeah, stay injury free and and go out there and enjoy it, I suppose. But we will, we will have a look at the serving spots where they like to serve at certain points. But you know, Donsky cancer of anyways call it singles as well, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say, although they are double specialists, aren't they. They are over the last kind of decade anyway. So let's talk about somebody who's going to be leaving the tour. Christopher Eubanks has announced his retirement. I love this guy. I mean that that little run to the quarters of Wimbledon a few years ago that was. That was just great fun like roll in back the years. But whenever he talks and I hear him on different podcasts and stuff like that, I could listen to him all day.
Speaker 1: He's brilliant, lovely guy as well. I haven't looked into I saw the news yesterday. I was quite surprised. I enjoyed watching him play and I don't know his ranking and stuff like that. I don't know the reasons behind it that. He's probably got other opportunities. He's very good at what he does off court.
Speaker 2: Hard.
Speaker 1: It's hard the tour, isn't it. I mean, I don't know if especially if you're not getting results for a period of time.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's been out there. He made his debut in twenty fifteen, so he said ten years of traveling. He's twenty nine, right, so he's still quite young. But you know, possibly as a media career, isn't it. Yeah, But you know, a couple of really nice little runs. I think it was in Miami he got to the Call to Finals. He won that weird grasscool tournament in Mi Yorka. Oh yeah, the kind of the outlier. But I mean, I just think he's great. What's it what's he like around the tour? What's his uh? You know is he is?
Speaker 1: He is?
Speaker 3: He as engaging and popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I've seen him, seen him around. He's always quite chatty, quite quite nice. Yeah, always been really kind to me always. I don't ye, I don't know anyone doesn't like him, to be honest, it's not he's not he's not a bad blow because he's he's a really nice guy. But like anyone when they play tennis, they keep himself to themselves, in their own when they're training, when they're going through it. You know, he's he was pretty professional. But the way he went about his business, his game style, but love to talk tennis of court, like love to talk tennis. You could see his eyes light up when he speaking tennis and players and things like that. So, you know, I think what he's now as his calling isn't it really just yeah, good good to be around, good energy, Just good.
Speaker 3: Energy and a bit of a throwback like what we always say. It's just a nice bit of variety to see somebody attacking the net and following in and be almost like a modern day grass called specialist in so many ways, it's just yeah, it's good variety for the tour, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed watching him playing. I love watching guys like that play because it's something a bit different and you get different matchups. And I remember that woman and I think he lost to member Devin Ford and in the end, but did he eat sits and pass? He had some big wins. It was awesome because you know, I kind of followed his journey. I remember he pre qualified for Winston Salem two fifty I think maybe the same year I had my wimbed and run and he was like hashtag Marcus Willis from pre Qualities and stuff like that, and I remember he kind of first came on to the tour because I got tagged. I got tagged in it and I didn't know who he was, but he obviously pre qualified for Winston Salem and won a few matches and whatever. And from there I followed his career and he, yeah, he was had a beast of us, a huge fourhand chipped it about came in. Yeah, it was good to watch. It was good to watch. I mean, Dan Evans is the other guy when he's playing. I watch all of his matches because he's he's just at the net. He's like vollowing, like Hemmon back in the day. It's just it's really good to see and it's so hard to do in these conditions as well.
Speaker 3: It certainly is well look mate, best of luck with everything and let's catch up later in a week for another pod. Mh