Speaker 1: Yo, what is up? Boys? How's it going? And welcome back to another episode of the One Piece Virgin podcast, covering the end of a saga a mammoth of an arc, Marine Ford and with me Today we have the One Piece Virgin herself, Poseidon Mythols. What's up gamer?
Speaker 2: Hello? Oh boy? Do we have an arc to talk about today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And we have Jordan joined us today.
Speaker 4: What's up? Everybody? Happy to be here?
Speaker 3: I know this is a bit of a big arc, so I took some liberties and Briggs I was able to secure a sponsorship.
Speaker 4: For this episode. So do we want to go ahead and say what that is?
Speaker 1: Or this episode is sponsored by Jordan?
Speaker 4: I got I brought donuts for everybody.
Speaker 1: No, no, I just like.
Speaker 4: It's too soon, too soon. I had the box sitting in there. I felt like I had.
Speaker 1: To so bad boiler warning, spoiler warning from so long ago. But yes, a lot of we finally get some death in this in this arc. Poseidon. General thoughts on Marine Ford.
Speaker 2: Peak definitely, in my opinion, the best arc up until this point. This was such shot a good arc. I mean I think emotionally, I think I'm more attached to like water seven and Eddie's lobby, just because I feel like that that those like that saga like really hurt me, but I don't. I still think that Marine Ford is I like, just a masterpiece. I absolutely loved it, and I'm heartbroken. I'm not gonna lie. I. I actually haven't watched much One Piece after I finished this arc because I was just emotionally suppressed to come back.
Speaker 1: I will say, I do like your I like your take that you think emotionally Water seven and his Lobby hit you harder, And it makes sense because you were following the straw Hats for a long period of time versus people like Ace white Beard Garp that like pulled those feelings from you. You didn't know as long, but you do get to kind of feel it through Loofy's reaction, right, Lufy's like kneeling next to Ace. But we'll get to that when we get to it.
Speaker 4: Nine out of ten arc needed more, Robin. I think that's usually the.
Speaker 1: It's my I think it's my favorite, my favorite arc, and the entire anime as well. It's just downhill from here, guys, we're going into the new era. The One Piece is real. Unfortunately, Oh man, Oh my god, Okay, where do you want to start for Sidon?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we did start the arc did start off with a huge, huge reveal. So up until this point, we were given the information that As and Loofy are brothers. They grew up together. So in my head up until this point, I was just like, Okay, so she's also Dragon's kid. They kind of look similar, they have black hair, and I had no idea when they did reveal like, oh yeah, Ace is gold d Rogers son, and I remember having to like pause the episode. I was like, wait, what what's you had the same reaction as Bonkov. Yeah, because I I I'm sure maybe most viewers also probably thought the same that oh, both of these characters are Dragon son. No, they he's an adoptive brother. And we do get to find out that when Goldie Roger was going to get executed, the Marines were going all over the place looking to see if maybe he was gonna have a kid, because there were rumors spreading around that he, you know, was with certain people. So his mom, her name is port Gusty rouge uh in A, in an attempt to save a decided to hold in his pregnancy. I think for like twenty months total, a very long time. She she held him in and as a result, when he was born, she did end up passing away. So he no longer has a father or a mother and it's just him and it's really sad. But we get to find out that when Roger was in jail ready for his execution, he was begging Garp to please take care of his son. So Garp, promising him, did raise Ace with Loofy and took care of him.
Speaker 1: So that's why the brothers not biological.
Speaker 2: Not biologically, but they did grow up together, and that was just really sad.
Speaker 1: I will say I never really fell in love with Ace as a character, but I did fall in love with white Beard. He yes the best. He's just the best dad in anime, one of the best dads. Who would have thought, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I actually feel very similarly because I think white Beard, like, okay, I'm not gonna lie, like Ace's death did hit me very hard, but I think Whitebeard's death actually hit me a lot harder because I mean, throughout the throughout the arc, you get to see white Beard and how much he loves his sons, his crew, and how he is like a dad, like he took care of everyone. He loves them all the same, and it's you get to see that with the way he interacts, and you get like flashbacks to certain characters and how white Beard saved them from the rock bottom, and it was just, oh God, I love white Beard And it's such a shame that honestly, up until this point, we didn't really get to see him very much. We knew of him, but we didn't get to see like him until this arc, so we didn't get to spend much time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really is. It is a testament though, like how much we were able to fall in love with white Beard, how much you grew attached to him in such a small amount of time. It was only like fifteen or twenty chapters that you really got to know him, like leading up to like this point. I don't know how many chapters Marine Ford is overall, but leading up to like I feel like when I fell in love with him, like we've only really known him for a small amount of time. Yes, I will say, though you were spoiled for Ace's death, I'm assuming because now.
Speaker 2: You're I was. What did it for me was there was someone at my locals we were talking about, Uh, from One Piece goes. We were talking about like Kasaka Zuki, the leader was banned for like over a year. Yeah in One Piece TCG and someone called him donut maker and I was like, what what do you mean donut maker? And they were like, oh, she doesn't know, and they're like, oh, don't worry about it. But then like they spoiled me, and I'm like, god, damn it.
Speaker 4: Like you guys, that feels bad.
Speaker 1: The fact that you lasted that long to not get spoiled and then got speiled in that way is really heartbreaking because you were not as shocked. But for people that were reading and watching along the way One Piece, people don't really die up until this point.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't have any major characters die.
Speaker 1: Most characters up until this point, even on the verge of death what they should be dying from. In this fictional world, they're able to survive. And if amost felt like, yeah, they're gonna get away, people are gonna live and survive it like everything's always gonna work out, And then this.
Speaker 2: Ar kids, Yeah, I think correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like this arc was what changed One Piece just moving forward, I think that this is the huge turning point. It's the end of an era. And also, like Loofy, at most of the arcs, if not all of them, up until this point, he has won every single battle. He has been able to defeat the big bad guys. And this is the first arc where that does not happen. That perhaps maybe Lufy is not strong enough to become King of the Pirates, perhaps he's not strong enough to stand up to the world government. Like it's it's so heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: We can't even handle himself against one Pacifista. I sorry to cut you off, barely could handle one Pacifista. One Pacifista could destroy the straw Hat Crew at this at this point in Sabadi or like whatever, one strong adversary, the amount of Pacifistas at this war admirals, vice Admirals, Sengoku, Garp Mihawk, which we got to talk about so much stuff. It's just such a reality check. And throughout this saga you get reality checks from Sabadi to impel down. But this is like the final like Okay, they're small fish in a huge pond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it really hammers it home in this arc as far as basically giving Lufy a couple retries with the Vonkove and whatnot, like energy boosts, like he gave it his all throughout a couple of art back to back to back, and it really hammered home that like effort alone is not enough at this point, right, Like you can want it as bad as you want it, but at a certain point reality sets in and uh, towards the very end of the arc, like it flashes back where you know Shanks is, you know, giving Lookie back the straw hat and he chooses not to have a reunion because it flashes back to where it says like you can give this back to me when you're a great pirate and he's like, you know, if we meet now, we'll be breaking that vow, right Like, this isn't the promised time. He's not a great pirate yet at this point.
Speaker 1: So okay, I'm gonna lift list off characters. We don't need to rush through them. But rather than going chronologically, I want to bring up a character and then you guys are going to talk about what you thought about what they did in the arc or how you felt about them in the arc. It might be an easier way because this is a mammoth and we don't have a obviously like we can't spend two hours here. Crocodile, any any any idea that ideas on him from the god.
Speaker 2: I love that man, still one of my favorite villains up in.
Speaker 4: The three letters for him, all right, MVP, it's.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean that's Buggy, that's mister three and Buggy. But yes, I will.
Speaker 3: Say the very first time they they say to go ahead and execute ah though, because they rushed up the schedule. Whose sand was it that took out your guards that were about to swing down the axe?
Speaker 4: Right like it? It was Crocky boy as they were about to escape.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know post donut, post donut, how did Jim Bay and uh and Loofy get out of there? Crocodile send him flying over over to Buggy right so.
Speaker 1: And who woke up Whitebeard after he was unconscious? Crocodile joining their side and being like, come on, old man, I wasn't beaten by such a fucking weekling or something like that, and Whitebeard gets up and rejoins the fight.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, one of the most unexpected alliances that had a smoker just in shock.
Speaker 2: But yes, yeah, I think a lot of them were like what like he's helping them out because I think everybody at this point knew that Loofy was the reason why he's no longer a warlord, Like everybody knows that Loofy defeated him back in Alabasta. And I'm sure I was also really shocked at like how cooperative he was and how willing he was to help, because initially he went to Marine for to have at it with white Beard, right, but as the arc kind of went on, he kind of switched sides and was like, no, we're we're gonna get as out of here, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's move on to Garp. I want to hear your thoughts on Garp in this art.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he's such a You get to see him throughout this arc kind of go having very conflicting feelings. Right, he has to, you know, do his job as a vice admiral to me make sure that this execution goes without a hitch. But I mean, Aces is his grandson, Like maybe not biologically, but he helped raise Ace, so you see a lot of his conflicting feelings. Like throughout this art, you get like scenes and shots where you know they're about to execute him and he's like closing his eyes and just like battling with like his feelings. And there was a fight between Garb and Loofy, and Loofy absolutely punched the shit out of him. But I also feel that Garp was probably holding back a little.
Speaker 1: Too, couldn't him. He couldn't bring himself to do it. I promise you at this point in the story, Garp would destroy Loofy in every possible way, Like Garb is stronger, but he's just unable to hit his grandson.
Speaker 2: He can't do it.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy though that he was sitting there and standing between Ace and Loofy, the one per like like his two grandsons, one about to be executed, one being attacked by pirates, and him still try to fulfill his like his duty as a marine, Like you could see it in his eyes. And I don't know, it's a small thing that I really really appreciated with this arc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you get to see he feels like I feel like he felt a lot of shame too, because now the government knows that Garth was the reason why Ace was alive in the first place. Like if it wasn't for Garth taking care of Ace, who knows what would have happened to him, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, he had a lot of that disappointed dad energy as far as like why didn't you boys listen to me? Now this is what's happening. But he was just emotionally devastated to it, to the point where immediately after Lufy punched him and stuff like, he's kind of obviously like, so you chose your family over you know, your duties as a marine, which makes sense, but it's just one of those conflicts that were was internal and not really clear probably up until that point on which way it would go.
Speaker 2: Right. So also I felt like, oh, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I just want to say there's a moment after Ace gets killed where Garp looks at Sengoku and says, hold me down or I'll kill him.
Speaker 2: I was actually gonna mention.
Speaker 1: That people got mad at me. I I genuinely think it'd be a close fight. I still think it'd be a close fight between gar I am. I am the biggest GARB Blazer of all time, saying like Loki, obviously he's like older, so he's not gonna bee as strong as as he was in his prime. But I am the biggest GARB Blazer, he's like entering up to me, you know. And now the goat.
Speaker 4: He's something, he's something.
Speaker 1: I mean at this point of the story, you obviously like you just you don't really know gar that much. You just got to meet him, and again you like, I feel like od did such a good job in an arc with like fresh characters making you fall in love with him and care for them. But yeah, I do think I probably Goku is stronger because he's younger, but I think pri Sengku. I'm like, god man, Kayu, Yeah, my bad, I've been saying Sengku both times. I was saying Sengku is the one who donutted, right, yes, my bad, I was saying versus Garb and I still think would have put up a fight even in his old age.
Speaker 4: Yeahky is the one that, uh that donuted.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know why I kept I'm saying donut maker misspoke my bad.
Speaker 4: Guys, Oh good, oh good. I'm just making sure.
Speaker 1: But that's why I was saying that such a laser because like obviously.
Speaker 3: Like the admiral like, yeah, and there's a lot of the the admirals fighting this arc, right, like initially they seem like they're kind of evenly matched against uh white Beard's division commanders and whatnot, But we see by the end that the only one that really held his own against one was uh was white Beard himself, right, So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the admirals were were huge.
Speaker 3: It's like we had so many, so many big bads from previous arcs were involved in this war, and they were not the biggest players by far right, So that's true.
Speaker 1: What about Mehawk, how do you guys feel about Me Hawk? You got to see him a little bit.
Speaker 2: Do you. My favorite scene with me Hawk is actually at the end, which is like when Shanks comes in and Me Hawk's like, you know what, I'm not I'm done. We're not fighting anymore. We're not crocodile Meehawks just sees Shanks and it's like, nope, I'm good, I'm leaving.
Speaker 3: I agreed to fight white Beard. He didn't agree to this. We have earlier in the show of them drinking together and being buddies, right, so it's like that, Yeah, he's like, I don't want that problem.
Speaker 4: I know what Shanks is capable of.
Speaker 2: So yes, I think this is the first arc we actually get to see me Hawk actually like put up a fight because I mean, his fight against Zorro was ended pretty quick.
Speaker 3: He is is that swordsman that is the greatest in the world at heart, right, So we see him kind of kick off all the action in this arc with a basically throwing a slash at white Beard.
Speaker 4: Himself, just wanting to test himself.
Speaker 3: And then we see him fight against the Loufi fight against Crocodile, like he was one of the one, one of the few should cheep chi cheap o guy that really wanted to get involved in this arc, right, whereas others were, you know, kind of there. They're kind of participating, but they're like, we're just more so because we kind of have to be right, whereas I don't know, he kind of jumped into the mix a little bit quicker, I.
Speaker 1: Will say, though he jumps in quick, but it just feels like he doesn't try and I don't like I wanted more from him on this arc. And I get it. He's still like a pirate. He's still like an in between between white Beard and thing. And obviously he sided himself more with the Marines because he was backing the Marines in this case. But I feel like he's just like I'm gonna help a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh it makes sense too though, because I mean we had a couple of cool moments like like that slash or like slashing the entire iceberg. But the seven warlords in this arc are kind of like in a in a typical battle, what like mercenaries would be right like, they're there, but they don't really have like a steak in the the whole thing. They're there because they're they have to be for you know, uh, for their end of the bargain to be.
Speaker 4: Filled as well. Yes, whereas like the.
Speaker 3: Pirates there, they're they're there fighting to the death trying to save their their boy and the Marines. You know, this is like the big battle, you know, regardless of who wins, this is deciding the era right here, right like this.
Speaker 1: Is I think you're absolutely right in regards to it makes sense like he's forced to be there. He doesn't really want to do what he's doing, probably, but he's forced to be there. So he's like, I'm going to put in enough effort to get the paycheck, you know, to keep the role right, but he's not going to do enough to really change the tides, which I feel like he was probably very He's probably very capable of doing stuff that could change the the outcome or like largely affect the outcome if he actually tried, right, And we see that from.
Speaker 3: A lot of the Seven Warlords, right, you know, Boa doing the.
Speaker 4: Stuff for Whitebeard's side, probably more so than not.
Speaker 1: But she gets away with it because she's beautiful, right, Yeah, so that we could talk about next thoughts on Bulla and this arc Poseidon.
Speaker 2: She she was comedic relief because you do get to see her. I mean, she's a warlord, but I mean she kept her eyes on Loofy and made sure that Loufy was able to get out of certain fights unscathed. Particularly one of my favorite ones was when Smoker was having at it with Loofy. And if you didn't like, we like, how do I see this Smoker? I forgot? Is he a logiah?
Speaker 1: Fruit?
Speaker 2: Is he? Is he a logia?
Speaker 3: I can't remember his whole body into into smoking? Yeah, so they can turn their whole body like into the element of the thing, then that's when they're a logias.
Speaker 2: Okay, I keep forgetting, like which is which? But typically most people, if they try to like fight Smoker, their their hand or foot or whatever. We'll just kind of go right through him. But poa poa like legitimately like did some damage to him. And you get to see the shock on Tashigi's face and it's like, wait, you can't do that, Like he's a Lujah she is. And you even get to like hear Smoker go her hockey is so like strong, so BoA's love for Lufy is is insane. You get to see like a little flash but like a little de Lulu, like not flashbacks, but like her he her like the Lulu going off to She's like, I'm gonna marry Lufy. We're gonna live together forever. I'm gonna cook for him, I'm gonna clean, and it's like so funny.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Bora is definitely worthy of her role because not only does she have like a crazy devil fruit, not only does like people turn the stone just by looking at her attractiveness, but she also has like a good control over hockey, able to fight someone like Smoker like She's actually like like a lot stronger than I think we would realize that first glass glance, Like, I think Bora is quite a bit stronger than Lufy at this point in the game.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a She's one of the seven warlords for a reason, right, So but yeah, they do play her role pretty comedic here in this arc as far as uh all the just the unexpectedness of her knowing loofy, all the soldiers reacting like did he just take her down with like a like a bear hugg did he just like what's going on?
Speaker 4: Are you going? He hugged me? You know? Is this what marriage feels like?
Speaker 3: So so yeah, they played it off a little bit comedic, but she had her big moments, like especially towards the end, like basically being the reason he was able to get past all the Pacifista right, which is, as we've seen, he can't take those out at this moment. But she she kind of does that work for for him, because she's listed as an ally.
Speaker 4: Under their their white list. I guess you'd call it, right.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's talk about do Flamingo another Shuji Bukai.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, he he did some emotional damage, cut his legs off, her foot or whatever he did with string fruit. I was like, this is this is one bitch ass motherfuck No, he's he's strong, he is. He is incredibly strong. Uh, he's quite the interesting character to me too. He's kind of I don't know how to say it, but he's kind of there's.
Speaker 1: A few he's like chaotic. He's like chaotic evil or chaotic chaotic. It feels like where he was just down for like he didn't even care what which side won. He just like, yeah, more reveals he felt like a fan.
Speaker 4: He's like he was having with it.
Speaker 1: He was having funny like keep going like like like the more the more crazy this gets, the better the more fun it is for me. And like he does have one line. I don't know if you remember the quote Poseidon.
Speaker 2: I think I do, because there's a card I play in all my green decks. It's because the side of justice right will be whichever side that wins exactly kind of like that, Yeah, that's he wasn't necessarily like rooting or rooting for one side versus the other. He's just like, well, whoever wins is that that's justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're the ones who paint history, and there's definitely something true about that even with with our world as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it makes me think back a little bit too, back in Stoboudi where he had that conversation with the auction house dude, like and he's just like, you guys are on your own right now, entering like a new era, right which I think he was also kind of hinting out as well throughout this arc that we're whatever is happening in Marine for Now is going to dictate how the rest of history is going to like pan out.
Speaker 3: Dop Flamingo is definitely one of those that's kind of looking at the bigger picture and yeah and seeing things kind of as they play out, looking very forward looking with it, right and uh, but he's also just very entertained by the whole thing as far as my favorite moment of his probably in this art, because it's just his reaction when Blackbeard and stuff shows up, right, like he's.
Speaker 2: Having the most that's the whole thing at.
Speaker 4: Some point, Doffy's reaction to it.
Speaker 1: All Right, Yeah, let's talk about Buggy super quick, my goat, one of my favorite characters in All A one piece.
Speaker 2: He him and mister mister three and his their little goons or whatever. They they were definitely other comedic relief throughout this art. I mean, they were trying to leave. They were just like, I'm out of here. You don't want to be a part of this. But they just somehow kept getting wrapped up and like whatever shenanigans or came a point where the transponder snail they like kidnapped one of them and they were they were broadcasting like whatever was happening. But they were just being silly on the camera.
Speaker 1: They were trying to make a dog. They're like, this is the story of the man who was on the crew with the pirate King, and like he gets so notorious because of all this shit. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Comed Relieve, what do you what do you mean? This is We see him kind of go back and forth with with white Beard as equals there towards the start of the arc, and then they're the ones that keep the press and like the the camera's going as the government tries to shut everybody in the dark, right, which yeah, yeah, I don't know, buggies. Then he carries Loofy out.
Speaker 1: At the end, he does he does oh, speaking of standing up to white Beard, Loofy stands up to white Beard in a pretty great way. Thoughts on that guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, not quite as good as Buggies, but like it was got the crowd going.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, Loofy was not scared of him either. He was just like, you know, we're gonna do this, and you know, you get to see white Beard also see how much heart Loofy has and he's telling I believe he told Marco like, no matter what happens, you have to make sure this this man or boy doesn't die. So yeah, if white Beard put a lot of trust into Loofy to make sure that Ace was able to escape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Lufy had a lot of a lot of people kind of watching his back over the course of this arc, which plays into the whole Uh you know how probably under leveled he was for this particular saga, but uh, you know, a big reason for that was the impression he made.
Speaker 4: Right. So I said in interviews prior that Lufy's very.
Speaker 3: Much a man of action. Yes, there's a reason, like it's very intentional that he never really has internal dialogue, that there's only a couple of segments I think ever in the story where he does and everything he kind of thinks he says out loud, right, And because of that, yes, makes good impressions on people like white Beard, like he's just very uh I don't know, charismatic in that way where he's very trustworthy and uh yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Kind of let him lead the charge, right, So yeah, something you said about that.
Speaker 1: So, as you mentioned before, Jordan, Ace is a belt to be killed quite a few times in this art, they keep on teasing the execution a belt to happen. Crocodile save the day one time, mister three you mentioned with comedic relief, the MVP brings that what's it called, like the wax fruits to turn into a key to unlock Ace the goat. But there's also a moment where Loofy saves Ace's life with a blast of conquerors. Hockey thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Yes, where he tells everybody to stop. This was when he was on the bridge, right when Ino Zoomam used the fruit to make a bridge, if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 1: I just remember that Age was about to be executed and he was surrounded by pirates.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and everybody was in shock. Most of the marines kind of fell to the ground and they were just and the people who were able to withstand the Conqueror's hockey were just like, holy shit, this kid has it. He has it the one in one million like type of hockey. Like not it's not one of those hockeys that you you can learn. It's one of those ones. If I'm remembering correctly, you have to be boring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you have it or also super random. I sent this to you, Jordan, but rewatching this arc, which is what I did at I work a side job. What I did at work today is I watched this. I sent to you a screenshot. I gotta find it though, I said the panel that yeah, yeah, me Hawks says to Loofy or says or thinks or thinks out aloud whatever. Sorry, Red Haired, but this power knows no restraint. Now, Fate, how will you deal with this heaven sent boy? Will his life end here? Or will he escape this black blade? Me talk about the fight Loofy. It just in reread rewatching this is something I appreciated. I don't want to get into it too much, Jordan.
Speaker 3: It's just something yeah, yeah, No, it's definitely Loofy kind of survived by the skin of his teeth in this arc, right, like he definitely could have gone out at multiple points that was one of the starting ones, and uh yeah, I don't know, it was one of those arcs that rereading it, there was a lot of thought put into how everything kind of played out. I know we're not covering it chronologically, but just as far.
Speaker 4: As tactics and stuff go, because one of the first things Lufy says to white Beard is, hey, we just heard on the radio.
Speaker 3: You know, they're they're bumping up the execution, right, And that was kind of a fake out, trying to get them to rush in quick. And uh so, yeah, there's a lot of different ways that Lufy's personality kind of played into that as far as like them cutting it down to one way, but he still ran in any ways knowing it's a trap, whereas a lot of other people hesitate. So uh yeah, I mean Lufy is very determined in this art, but and that played a way of kind of getting through all those other mind games everybody else was playing.
Speaker 4: So yeah, sorry, sorry that bit.
Speaker 1: Of a no I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, we talked about we said Buggy, we talked about Mister Three, we talked about Okay, why don't we actually take a second to talk about white Beard. Maybe we did obviously talk about him a bunch, he said, cha, he's a great dad. But deciding if you want to go a little bit deeper on what you thought about a thought about white Beard, he.
Speaker 2: I was shocked that his I mean, it wasn't just his crew. I guess he has like not side crews, but like pirate crews that are allied allied with him. It was I was shocked at how many people he brought over to to Marine Ford. And that just goes to show how much these other people love Whitebeard and how well he takes care of his children. But it kind of hurt, just like seeing throughout this arc, and it was mentioned pretty in a few places that you know, white Beard's no longer at his peak, He's not as strong as he used to be. And you get to see him like he's still incredibly strong, right, but you you kind of know as if you were like, is he gonna make this out of this alive? Is he gonna be you know, able to to fight like the admirals and stuff. And you see him struggle too, I mean one of his uh, one of his crew actually ends up stabbing him yep during this.
Speaker 1: Arc and fuck that dude. You know what White them.
Speaker 3: I actually feel bad for the dude because I said, everybody else was playing mind games, right, and I knew that uh gold Roger was responsible for killing Squaltz Crew, right, and he had this grudge against gold Roger. And you know, the Marines came out with this propaganda this uh they were saying at the very start that uh, you know, not only uh is white Beard trying to make Ace the next king of the Pirates, right, He's trying to put him up, but he's willing.
Speaker 4: To sacrifice everybody else to do so. Right.
Speaker 3: There was an agreement and the Marines only attacked his allied crews and not white Beard's crew itself, just to make it, just to play into that and make it seem like, uh, like they really were being betrayed, right, So he played.
Speaker 4: On that doubt.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think they executed it quite well, especially like Squald really hates Goldie Roger. Meanwhile, he didn't know that Ace was his son, right, right, So that adds even more fuel to the fire. And then it just seems like, yeah, trying to trying to prop up Ace. It makes sense, and it's even even it's so sad when he when he stabs him, but like him Whitebeard forgiving him so easily. It's such a beautiful moment.
Speaker 3: It's because white Beard kind of sees the reality of the situation, right, he sees it's not a real betrayal, he's just misled. And then, uh, like the reality of the situation is like in the flashback when Ace you know, tells white Beard who his dad is, Like white Beard doesn't really care, right, Like he says that's not important, Like you can't blame a son for the sins of his father. So so it plays into whole white Beard's personality a lot there as far as what kind of man he is, right, what he really cares about, what his values are?
Speaker 1: Talk about Blackbeard now, but I.
Speaker 3: Get sorry, I don't want to send on soapbox too long. But like, all we're talking about white Beard, can we talk about the way he went out?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, yeah, absolutely, it was such he he died standing up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like half his face is gone, like okay, in the anime, his faces as fucked up as in the manga, which really yeah, two hundred and sixty seven Sword Wounds, one hundred and fifty two bullets forty six cannon blasts, but not one shot.
Speaker 3: In the back, right, not it was all in the front. He had not no coward wounds whatsoever. Right, the tattoo on his back was still as untouched as ever, So I don't know, he went out standing, right, So so yeah, sorry, it's manga a little bit more. Even those were the stats, right.
Speaker 1: Even in the anime they read the stats off the yeah, not the commentator. What the fuck is the word the narrator.
Speaker 4: The narrator reads it off.
Speaker 1: And it gave me absolute chills.
Speaker 3: So I guess Eddie like thoughts on that specifically. I know you said his death got to you, probably more than than Aces. I don't know if that was a shock value or just unexpected, or if I had anything to do with like how it happened or what.
Speaker 1: For me, it just felt like I was able to care for for white Beard more than Ace. Ace made me sad because of Lufy's reaction, But white Beard's death made me sad because it's like all those kids lost a father, all those all those not kids, they're not kids, but like all those that family lost to dad, and he just just actually like he was the biggest Chad the biggest monster. What a badass, What a great character, but like just actually a good family man like that.
Speaker 3: And there's something to be said about his character just through how others treat him, right, Yeah, he had that protagonist energy and that uh after you know, people think he gets betrayed, like he uh he forgets Squald. He jumps down to face the Marines himself and kind of joins the battle, and you know, he well, well they acted like the uh they were only targeting his allied uh pirates and whatnot, and they weren't targeting his crew. He destroys the wall of ice to where there's an open sea there, and he's like anybody that wants to go go, like, g if you fight with me, you might very well die, right Like, so yeah, he leads the charge and like everybody stays.
Speaker 4: Nobody nobody leads, right.
Speaker 1: So it also speaks volumes to Sengoku's plan because one of my things was like, why are they executing a so publicly? And it was all I feel, it's just all one big trap right with and up until this point, they didn't have the pacifist to Pacifistas either, so like unleashing that army tracking them in, knowing that everyone was gonna come and support white Beard. White Bear was gonna come to try to save Ace. It was just all one big trap. White Beard already knew and walked into it too, like it's it was just it's it's so much better upon rewatchers picking up these little things.
Speaker 3: That was the very start of the mind game too, right, Like white Beard kind of saw through it and started attacking the ships on the side. But like as soon as they entered the place, they were gonna surround with battleships and uh, basically just encircle everybody, right, so make sure there was no escape route. But uh, but yeah, white Beard, what a what a chad one of the one of the biggest in anime.
Speaker 1: And he ends broke my heart.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He also ended off with a bang by saying like the One Piece is real, just discontinuing the era, like letting it continue on. Yeah, he like.
Speaker 3: Fights until the death, telling everybody else to run, like he says, this is where I die. And then uh, then he has the big epic speech of like you know what, yeah, what the uh the one Piece means how it's gonna carry on and that it that it is real, right, so it inspires a whole other generation.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it made me so sad, Like at the end where everybody is now, like when they got Ace, right where everybody's heading out, like you see white Beard he's trying to fight everyone off, and like all his crew's just like come on, like come with the come on, we got him already, you need to go. And he's like, no, no, no, I'll stay here.
Speaker 1: I'm a post off at a leave Ace, leave, just fucking leave. Not rage baiting, buddy, literally got rage baited. Oh my gosh speaking of it.
Speaker 4: But I was gonna say, speaking of the New Era, who proclaimed it their era? I know you were wanting to.
Speaker 3: Talk about him a little bit earlier, but I didn't want to cut you off too much.
Speaker 2: Wait which one? I'm sorry, please remind me.
Speaker 3: So yeah, white Beard said it was you know, the everybody's saying this era was was white Beard, and the new era it was black Beard. He was like, this is the black Beard era, right like he uh, he proclaimed that after he took white Beard's power.
Speaker 4: He's like, this new new era is going to be mine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean the world, I mean, I guess we can I don't know if you want to just segue into like just talking about black Beard, because that's a whole other let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about it. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah we can, I just know earlier jump around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we do find he comes in at the end of this arc. So he he was pretty absent pretty much throughout the entirety of his arc up until like the line like a few episodes, but we do find out why he actually broke into Impel Down, and he broke into Impel Down to break out some of the most dangerous criminals that the world has ever seen, and he brings all of them over into Marine Ford. And I don't know if this was confirmed, but at least this is like what I think would happen. He was waiting for this to almost end, to be able to make his entrance and to be able to do what he did, and like the biggest shock that happened. One of the biggest shocks was that he was able to take Whitebeard's devil fruit, which was absolutely unheard of in this world up until this point because everybody had this kind of info, right, like you can only have one devil fruit. If you eat a second one, you will die. So once he eats his double he now has what the power of the seaquakes as well as the dark fruit. He up until it's by everybody's like he might be as well, might as well be like the most powerful character in this in this world right now, nobody? Yeah, he has two really really strong devil fruits, and you see the absolute shock that everybody is like, oh my god, like we don't want to fight him.
Speaker 4: Any theories on.
Speaker 2: How I don't know. I just remember I think it was Lafitte and who put like a like a caper a blanket over over white Beard, and then black Beer goes under the blanket. A few minutes later he comes out with his devil fruit so completely unscathed.
Speaker 1: I guess the reason why they covered him up is because Blackbird doesn't want people to see how he's able to do what he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if they if people know how to do it, then the entire world would just go into shambles. Right. He wants to be one of the only ones who knows how to do this.
Speaker 1: I think at the time, what's your theory, Jordan, And.
Speaker 3: It's one that I think somebody said kind of during the arc, right, my theory is that he's just built different.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean a lot of people theorized that had to do with the devil fruit. Theorized that had to do with a knife on his on his like waist or something. But like that he was able to get a second power without like suffering the the causes of having two devil fruits or whatever. There's there's multiple personality theories where he's more than one person. There's so many things up until this point that people theorized at this point in the game. I would just keep them all in the back of your head.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't know, man, I'm scared of this man.
Speaker 3: It could really be anything, though, because the thing about black Beard is, well you said, everybody's kind of scared of him because of how powerful two fruits would be, and one of them being you know, white Beards who just controlled the seas prior to that. Yeah, he's very much a plotter and a and a schemer more than anything, right, Like, yes, he's a rat, he's a snake. He betrayed white Beard, but then he became a one of the seven warlords in order to betray them to get in the whistle down and get those people out and then uh, it was somebody on his crew that opened the gates for Loofy and them to go into to Marine Ferd. Right, Yeah, so it that, you know, they kind of just adding to the chaos until their time to show up.
Speaker 1: So I have a theory.
Speaker 4: One of the biggest schemers in anime.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest schemers in the anime.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: I honestly I do love black Beard in that in that way he actually like has plans and uh and ideas. But my theory, my theory is that everyone's able to eat two devil fruits. It's just there was there's a myth that you die if you do it, and everyone's been scared to do it since one guy tried and he died of a cold the next day, and they're just like, oh, can't do it. And Blackbeard's like, I don't believe that shit pulled it off. But he didn't want the world to see because then everyone would start eating two devil fruits. He wants me to wanted to do it.
Speaker 3: And if that didn't work, if that's the case and it just didn't work and he actually did die there that would have been very honest with real areas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people were like, oh, it's definitely the knife at his hip because he didn't want anyone to see it with the knife, otherwise everyone would try to steal the knife. And I'm just like, well, if it's his double fruit, everyone will try to kill him and steal a double fruit. How far are we in Axel we are into Marine Ford right now.
Speaker 3: I will say, as far as the double fruit theory goes, he did look up specifically, like he was very informed and knew about that fruit specifically, And it was once that fruit kind of was actually found that he betrayed white Beard's crew to get that fruit. Right, So the dark fruit, like that was one he very intentionally got with the So with how big of a schemer he is, I see why people would lean towards that one.
Speaker 1: So all right, Poseidon, let's talk about Shanks and the boys.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he was late no, because he actually no, I'm not mad that he wasn't part of the entirety of Marine Ford. I mean I feel like he is a big reason why everything ended. Like Shanks literally was the one who's like, you guys basically got what you wanted. You guys wanted Ace dead and now he's dead, Like there's no use fighting anymore. You guys already won, and he was the reason why. Like most I think if everybody was able to get out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Buddy stopped the war.
Speaker 4: He showed up, stopped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like black Beard, you want some marines, you want some like he kind of just called out everybody individually and like, you know.
Speaker 1: Was it revealed where he was at this point and why he was late. I don't, because we know why, but I just don't want to reveal it. If it hasn't been revealed, I can't think of it.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: I don't think I know yet.
Speaker 4: I might hold off on that one.
Speaker 1: They mentioned it at the end of the arc. Apparently it's mentioned at the end of the arc. So he was off fighting Kaido.
Speaker 2: Oh, the other emperor.
Speaker 1: The other Yonko. Yes, so Buddy Holf managed to end his fight with Kaido or figure it out and make it his way to the war and everyone's like, all right, I'm done.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean he did a better job at stopping things than Kobe did, right, Kobe. Kobe was one. He took one punch from Blue.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we didn't talk about Kobe.
Speaker 2: Kobe, Yes, you see him having also very conflicting feelings throughout this arc. Him and hel Metal were like we're out of here initially, right, and you get they do walk in on. I think it's a kind news because youki like killing one of the Marines who wants to also leave. So and then you see like Kobe kind of flashing back a little bit to his dream of becoming an admiral and he he gathered the courage to stand up to the Marines and this was basically his like one of his growing points right as a character, that you know, he's like, I'm not going to be a coward anymore. I'm not. I didn't. I didn't do all of this just to run away from a fight like I'm doing. I have to do my duty as a marine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Also that he does also have hockey potential as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, and yeah we see that he uh, you know, does his duties as a marine and he's not a coward in the fight and whatnot. But then going even further than that, he kind of follows his own sense of justice and that he sees that after Ace is dead, you know, they're still fighting going on, but it's kind of pointless violence of like the Marines are just having more and more people die and they accomplish their goal, right white Beard's dead, Asha is dead, Like pushing further it's kind of pointless at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knows that if they stop now, they could save so many people that are currently injured like that, like you're on the battlefield, like with an arm missing or like with a hole in their stomach, and they're like, He's like, if we stop now, we could like treat these people. We achieved our goal. We achieved our goal.
Speaker 3: Like there's something to be said about knowing what it's like to be weak and like being able to or you know, knowing what it's like to be there at the bottom of the ladder and uh being able to empathize with those people. So I know there's been a there was a special recently where you know, we get like more of a side story type of view from like just some of the random soldiers on the Marine side that were in this war.
Speaker 4: It has to be terrifying, right.
Speaker 3: All these these goliaths are colliding, there's explosions, there's fire, there's lava.
Speaker 4: There's Ice with a gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're you're You're Joe Smith right there with a gun, trying to do your darnness right. Your your family lives here at the marine base. You just want to get back to them. Like like you said, people were trying to flee there beforehand, but I kind of wasn't having any of that.
Speaker 4: So mm hmm. So sorry, soapbox again, But we can talk about whatever.
Speaker 1: I have one moment I want to talk about. There's a moment where Ace finally gets freed. And as much as like I have been saying, I'm out the biggest fan of Ace, I do still like him a lot. And the moment where he gets freed and lands next to Loofy, his firepower is like kind of like shadowing around them. It is shit, And like the happiness and the dynamic in which they fought, it was just so great, Like it was just peak. And then you get the contrast to what happens moments later or a little later, when he finally gets killed. But like it was just such good writing where it's like he's not gonna make He's gonna get killed. He's gonna get killed. He's gonna get killed, Keep on surviving, Keep on surviving, keeps on surviving. Boom, he finally gets released. Happy Happy, Happy, Bam back to set. Like, it's just it's just such top tier writing.
Speaker 2: It's so sad because I know exactly what you're talking about that scene, because it actually recently got printed in the TCG because the newest set coming out. It's it's centered around the three brothers, and it's the title of the set is called Carrying on His Will and referring to Ace. And it's like, oh, I know exactly because they reprinted it and they redrew the art.
Speaker 3: It is so sad too because I know this art came out like over thirteen years ago or whatever in the anime, like it's it's been out. But uh, it's one of those things I, you know, don'nut joke at the start of this podcast aside, I usually try to spoil for anybody because I remember it hit me so hard and then, uh, I feel like it's one of those hardest spoilers to avoid in one piece, right, Like even when Animac was the Virgin, I remember teching early on, like mentioning it and then just feeling so bad. Yeah after uh, and like you said, Poseidon with the TCG, So things happened, but it's it's one of those where if you're not expecting it, like, uh, it hits you right after the moment of happiness, right like you said, you're happy he escaped.
Speaker 4: There they have this bonding moment and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I was spoiled. I watched it. I watched this like over a decade ago, probably close to fifteen years ago. Fourteen years ago at the time, I don't wasn't part of any anime community, just watching it on my fucking flat screen, like like illegally streaming it.
Speaker 4: Same.
Speaker 3: I don't know it hit for me, I remember whenever because it's so much build up to it too, right, if nothing else, you feel it from Luke's perspective, right, like we just fought for this for so many arcs. We we think we have it and then uh, and no, Lupy takes the biggest l of the series so far, right like he Yeah, he does not come out on top this times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mentally physically just absolutely destroyed coming out of this arc and he was saved by Law. Why was Law there?
Speaker 2: I don't remember, I honestly don't remember either, but Law is a huge reason why Loofy is also still like still alive. Like Law, I think there was like some scenes where you know, they were kind of flashing back to Saba Odi. Not flashing back, but like you get to see what's going on from the perspective of the people in Saba Odi. And I believe Law was there and kids, like most of the super novas, I think we're still there, but you kind of see Law kind of oh my god, like this is this is crazy. So he does show up at the end and he's like, we need to save Loofy now. Like we get him in the operating room and we find out that he's a doctor. He's he is a surgeon, so he gets his little medical gloves on and starts operating on Loofy while they're trying to escape. Yeah, if he did get a big scar from.
Speaker 3: I will say he doesn't give a reason, but he has asked the reason. He's like, I can come up with one if you want one, but because it's a Vonkob asking and he's just kind of like, no, I like I get it that sometimes people just act instinctively or or whatever. So I'm not going to push it too hard, right, So we don't have.
Speaker 2: A reason that it's because Law also kind of sees the future of like pirates, right and Lufy And maybe perhaps he saved him because it's like we need him to be able to kind of fight against whatever is going to happen in the future.
Speaker 1: Wow, great prediction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I feel like the reason why, Like, I don't see another reason why he would save him other than we need Lufy.
Speaker 1: To be He's he's a planner as a strategist, maybe like black Beard make sure new account right. Wow, well, very very well done. Poseidon on that one. I will say, I can't say that much longer. So let's all talk about maybe one more thing that we won't that we need to talk about from this arc. Yes, any ideas, guys?
Speaker 2: Are you talking about A's fuck?
Speaker 1: That dude body got rage baited?
Speaker 2: He did get rage baited. But yeah, I don't know what did you want to bring up? Well?
Speaker 4: I will say one thing about Ace is I felt very bad for him this entire arc.
Speaker 3: Because there's one thing to sacrifice yourself and like be self sacrificing for others. It's another to have people sacrificing themselves for you, Like all the people you care about are dying there trying to help you out, and you're just begging them not to write. Like you feel so responsible, you feel so uh you know, you feel like you're the cause of this whole thing, and.
Speaker 4: Deep down he still wants to live.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, sitting there watching him go through that as like wars and everybody else kind of falls one out or the other, it was not easy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it wasn't easy to watch, but it was a little annoying just watching him. Like I get why he turned back to help his dad who came and saved him. Didn't want to leave people behind that were that were dying fighting for his survival. But you finally got away, leave, leave with your fucking brother.
Speaker 3: It hurt.
Speaker 2: It hurt, dude, Fuck that guy.
Speaker 3: I get it though, Like Ace isn't weak, right, Like he was asked to be like one of the seven Warlords prior to ever joining up with white Beard, like two years of past since then, he wasn't a weak guy. He in his mind, he wants to be able to help those that are like in his direct vicinity, right, that care about him, just like they care about him he cares about them, right, So I get it, I get it.
Speaker 4: It makes sense. I think it's good writing.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, sad nonetheless, Oh anything else, guys.
Speaker 2: I just want to say one of my favorite moments from this arc. I believe it was shown that, like when Whitebeard dies is like a flashback to when white Beard was still like a pirate, like on some random ass crew and everybody's kind of making on the cruis make fun of him. They're like, what do you dream of? And Whitebeard's dream was to have a family, And I'm like he was able to do that, and I, ah, god, that's so sad.
Speaker 4: Dude, so sad.
Speaker 1: He's trying to find the one piece. If white Beer was the main character, he would be about finding friends and family along the way. M hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of that was one of the the real.
Speaker 1: One piece, the family made alone in the way one piece doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: So before we go, I also want to mention because I I I I will, I'll keep this short, but I frequent book talk a lot because I also read like novels outside of this, so a lot of my favorite there's been a surgeons in the book talk community, all these girlies who read a bunch of smut and a bunch of like just books, fantasy, romance. They have all started reading one Piece and it has been the funniest, like last three weeks. And it was so funny because a lot of them will do like updates, we'll read like a lot of them just finished Romance down and they were all like, oh my god, I feel so bad. Choo choo the dog. It broke my heart. I was crying so much. And I'm like, these these girlies are not ready crying over fucking chu chuo. Oh my god, what are you gonna do when you get to water seven? What are you gonna do when you get to Marine Ford? So I am looking forward to seeing all the book talk girlies continue their one Piece journey because it's reminding me of how I went through mine. So I just want to mention that because I think it's it's really funny. You know, we can transition me, dude. It's so funny because a lot of the comments are like, finally, like literate one.
Speaker 1: Piece readers, Oh no.
Speaker 2: Oh my, oh my god, what is that?
Speaker 1: I will say, a lot of weekly chapter reviewers, not that they're illiterate in any way it's just they get so like in depth about stuff that they're so focused on the little things that sometimes, like when you're watching someone review something like an entirety of an arc, you could like appreciate the actual storytelling of it versus like this one panel, Well we could justify that this person's actually probably this strong, and it's like, well what about the Like it's all predictions and they're trying to it's all trying to stretch like one chapter into a twenty minute YouTube video, and it's just so funny. So I see where the criticism sometimes comes from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's been great. I really There's this girl I have to find her user name. Her name is Carla. I was actually following her for quite some time before she started reading one Piece and she got like all the book Talker released too, So yeah, I will, I will let you know how how they go. But read, they mostly most of them finished Romance down and they're all crying over the dog. So I'm like, oh boy, I can't wait till they get to Drum Island.
Speaker 4: Let's go look at the times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, book book talk girly that like started watching somebody.
Speaker 4: Else is just oh and along let's go.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the post war, I don't think it's that many episodes. I think it's less than twenty episodes. I would like to do that for a future a future week, just all of the post war.
Speaker 2: If I also watch a little bit of, uh, the backstory of a least Sabo and Loofy. I'm in the middle of that right now. But I also understand there's like, uh, yeah, the post war right after that. So if you just give me, like what episode I need to get to, I'll let you.
Speaker 1: Know, five sixteen, five sixteen.
Speaker 2: Every five hundred right now, so maybe I can for sure get there in like two weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think post war kind of yeah, captures what you're doing and then basically just everything for for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going on with the straw hats. It kind of like brings a bunch of stuff together. Absolutely. Actually, you're welcome on any time, my friend. Truly. You're always a great addition, especially for one piece, very knowledgeable for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah about one piece.
Speaker 1: I believe. Yeah, the Poles War is next, and it's up to five hundred and sixteen for everyone wondering, I gotta go to hockey training now, so I do need to run. I hope everyone enjoyed this episode. Thank you so much for Sidon for doing this with us.
Speaker 3: Jordan's the he's training his uh, his observation and whatnot, like he has conquerors.
Speaker 4: All right, that was.
Speaker 1: Already hockey training. Imagine I was walking to the chaining room for like the training these kids in hockey. It's like, okay, and I'm going to train them the way to trade. Actually a spoiler, I can't even say that, Oh Joe.
Speaker 4: You can't. I know, next time on One Piece Virgin.
Speaker 1: Alright, later, guys, shimpal and I'll see you all next time.
Speaker 4: Thank you, guys. Bye boy,